ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   The abandoned insane asylum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=130800)

Simply Red 12-08-2005 04:07 PM

-- The abandoned insane asylum

The abandoned insane asylum. Is it still there? You know the one by Arrowhead. People in High-school used to go there as a thrill. Kind of a rush. you know. Fill me in I have been away from MO for 14 yrs. now. and I'm like 'whoa' ...

JBucc 12-08-2005 04:09 PM

14 years? I doubt it's till there. Even though I have no clue what you're talking about.

Eleazar 12-08-2005 04:10 PM

Yeah, it's still there. I go to the K a couple times a year.

NLU Tailgater 12-08-2005 04:16 PM

I've seen it as recently as last year. Stuff round those parts don't move too quickly......as evidence of the whole stadium improvements bills.

Creepy for sure as a kid, but I'd be kinda interested to check it out now.

Simply Red 12-08-2005 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NLU Tailgater
I've seen it as recently as last year. Stuff round those parts don't move too quickly......as evidence of the whole stadium improvements bills.

Creepy for sure as a kid, but I'd be kinda interested to check it out now.

Co, I sure miss Hi-Boy over there on 40 by Blue Ridge.

chiefs4me 12-08-2005 04:29 PM

damn...from the thread title, I thought you meant chiefs planet.....:D

kcfanXIII 12-08-2005 04:31 PM

the one with the view of the real mental instituition? i heard they tore it down, but its been longer than a year since i heard it

MOhillbilly 12-08-2005 04:33 PM

spfld. has an Albino Farm.

Simply Red 12-08-2005 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefs4me
damn...from the thread title, I thought you meant chiefs planet.....:D

ROFL

No it actually used to exist. KC had a lot of oddities like that. I remember Selsa Rd. was supposed to be full of Cults. I know now Selsa rd. has built several subdivisions and stuff. Anyhow....

Simply Red 12-08-2005 04:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MOhillbilly
spfld. has an Albino Farm.

Mo,

What's that?

MOhillbilly 12-08-2005 04:55 PM

its a place in Springfield where albinos used to live.

Ill dig some pics(creepy) up tommorow.

KcMizzou 12-08-2005 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red
what is spfld?

Springfield. I have no idea what an albino farm is. I mean, I know what an albino is...

phisherman 12-08-2005 04:58 PM

the "insane asylum" as you call it was actually the leeds tuberculosis hospital...it was located on the grounds of the KC Municipal Correctional Institution..
it's torn down now...got taken down 2-3 years ago

the albino farm is not as called, actually an albino farm, but just a large family farm outside of springfield...for pics and accounts of it, go to www.undergroundozarks.com

they have a large gallery committed to it

bp

phisherman 12-08-2005 04:59 PM

it's under springlawn farm, btw

bp

DJJasonp 12-08-2005 05:00 PM

Was the insane asylum on the south side of the complex? On the hill?

I also seem to remember an old haunted house at about 31st street (about 10 blocks or so east of Main) that was creepy as hell (an old hospital I think?)

Was it called the Haunted Hospital? Was it an insane asylum? I remember going downstairs to the basement to start off and it was all cement and bricks and no windows....creepy.

MOhillbilly 12-08-2005 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by phisherman
the "insane asylum" as you call it was actually the leeds tuberculosis hospital...it was located on the grounds of the KC Municipal Correctional Institution..

the albino farm is not as called, actually an albino farm, but just a large family farm outside of springfield...for pics and accounts of it, go to www.undergroundozarks.com

bp

there were absolutely albinos lived there dude.
My grandpa was born and raised here 1912-03 and he said albinos lived there plus the local news channel showed pics (ozarks watch on pbs?)

phisherman 12-08-2005 05:02 PM

if you're standing at the gate to the prison, the hospital would've been to the NW of the prison grounds...

i think you're talking about the old christ church hospital, it's at about 29th and paseo...you can see it on the west side of 71 on the way into down town KC...very creepy place, rigth in the middle of a neighborhood, PM me anyone if you want directions to any of these places and more..i spent quite a bit of time when younger exploring these abandoned places...

bp

phisherman 12-08-2005 05:03 PM

check that site, MO, there are library references to the use and history of springlawn farm

bp

Eleazar 12-08-2005 05:03 PM

After having worked in a mental health hospital before, I don't think the asylum would scare me very much.

MOhillbilly 12-08-2005 05:07 PM

Quote:

check that site, MO, there are library references to the use and history of springlawn farm

bp

lies to keep people away.

dont ruin it w/ facts.

phisherman 12-08-2005 05:08 PM

sorry, it just seems that the real stories are never as fun...

but it's still a really creepy place..i've been there, know the history, and still wouldn't want to explore the place alone at night

bp

phisherman 12-08-2005 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
After having worked in a mental health hospital before, I don't think the asylum would scare me very much.

i'll be honest w/ ya, the scariest thing about those kind of buildings is the fact that you don't know if you're going to fall through the floor on your next step forward

bp

DJJasonp 12-08-2005 05:10 PM

Quote:

if you're standing at the gate to the prison, the hospital would've been to the NW of the prison grounds...

i think you're talking about the old christ church hospital, it's at about 29th and paseo...you can see it on the west side of 71 on the way into down town KC...very creepy place, rigth in the middle of a neighborhood, PM me anyone if you want directions to any of these places and more..i spent quite a bit of time when younger exploring these abandoned places...

bp

Yep....that's the place.....solid, 6 inch glass windows (that you cant see through)..

Great haunted house....

MOhillbilly 12-08-2005 05:11 PM

Quote:

sorry, it just seems that the real stories are never as fun...

but it's still a really creepy place..i've been there, know the history, and still wouldn't want to explore the place alone at night

bp

we used to trip acid and go out there and steel brindge and the creepy house on the hill w/ the pool.

phisherman 12-08-2005 05:12 PM

very cool place, but also very boarded up now...they used labor from the prison by royals stadium to board and concrete up all the windows..

last i heard they were renovating it for use for something...i can dig up some pics if anyone wants to see them.

bp

JimNasium 12-08-2005 05:27 PM

Quote:

bp

Awesome website. Thanks.

KCChiefsMan 12-08-2005 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KcMizzou
Springfield. I have no idea what an albino farm is. I mean, I know what an albino is...

an albino is a person/animal with no pigment

KcMizzou 12-08-2005 05:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsMan
an albino is a person/animal with no pigment

Yeah... I know. It was the "farm" that threw me. The only albino I know lives just like anyone else.

Boozer 12-08-2005 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JimNasium
Awesome website. Thanks.

That is cool. Check out the part where they break into an old Nike missile site. The bay doors and elevator still worked! I wouldn't believe them if it weren't for the videos.

phisherman 12-08-2005 06:32 PM

that silo's in pleasant hill...

very cool place
bp

Tribal Warfare 12-08-2005 06:44 PM

The abandoned insane asylum

The LA coliseum ?

Dunit35 12-08-2005 06:54 PM

I love checking out old abandoned buildings. Might be my favorite thing to do at night. They are dangerous though. One building we checked out was just a house on main street and we opened the door, turned the corner into the kitchen and just about fell through. There was a huge hole in the kitchen.
About 20 miles away in a town called Hardtner, KS. There is a old probably 6-7 floor hospital that has been abandoned since the 1980's. Im not completely sure when it closed down. But it has been a local high school place to go check out. The building looks scary as hell when your on the outside driving by it. Its all by itself with the park across from it. Supposedly its got some huanted places in it, but Ive been in there 3 times and nothing is haunted. Anybody ever hear of it?

phisherman 12-08-2005 07:08 PM

it's called Auchenba Hospital...

1st floor has a great morgue, with bloody footprints everywhere, probably fake though..

bp

phisherman 12-08-2005 07:09 PM

by the way, if any of you are ever up for exploring, i run around w/ a group occasionally, PM me for details

bp

Dunit35 12-08-2005 07:42 PM

Quote:

it's called Auchenba Hospital...

1st floor has a great morgue, with bloody footprints everywhere, probably fake though..

bp

You been there or anything. One time we went there with digital cameras and video records and caught several orb figures on a few of the pictures. I do not think they were dust particles either. One room, I cant remember what floor, has a temperature drop.

wilas101 12-08-2005 09:04 PM

This is off topic of creepy places around KC but when I was stationed at Ft. Campbell the units that had post guard duty would keep their guys in part of the old hospital there. That was one of the creepiest places I have ever been. I always wondered if it wasn't worse than I gave it credit for since it would creep out a bunch of 18-20 year olds who would never admit to being scared of anything.

phisherman 12-08-2005 09:08 PM

i went there a long time ago w/ some buddies in college that lived around the area...i'd love to see the pics if you have them...

the 1st floor men's room is the room w/ the temperature drop, but we went when it was cold, so i couldn't tell if the temp dropped or not
bp

Simply Red 12-08-2005 09:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35
I love checking out old abandoned buildings. Might be my favorite thing to do at night. They are dangerous though. One building we checked out was just a house on main street and we opened the door, turned the corner into the kitchen and just about fell through. There was a huge hole in the kitchen.
About 20 miles away in a town called Hardtner, KS. There is a old probably 6-7 floor hospital that has been abandoned since the 1980's. Im not completely sure when it closed down. But it has been a local high school place to go check out. The building looks scary as hell when your on the outside driving by t. Its all by itself with the park across from it. Supposedly its got some huanted places in it, but Ive been in there 3 times and nothing is haunted. Anybody ever hear of it?

never heard of it, but I love the mood. Excellent addition Dunit. I love mystery period. By the way, ever heard of Pittsburg,Ks.? One of the erriest(SP?) towns I have stepped foot in. Stories to follow upon request... :bravo:

ChiefsKing 12-08-2005 09:43 PM

We use to go to that old insane asylum in high school and see people from all over there. Sooo many people use to go there every weekend. It was right next to another insane asylum. It seemed there was a level you had to climb in/out through the floor too. We found a room with a bunch of jeans and really old coca-cola hats, and also a room with a bunch of projection equipment. The sober people in our group could take things, but we couldn't carry anything and hold our drinks too.

Valiant 12-08-2005 09:48 PM

Shit I remember that place.. Been a few years since we went there.. Always had to avoid the guards when trying to get in... We left after twenty minutes because it was too dangerous, the floors were falling in...

There used to be two buildings.. The smaller one was torn down the last time, I took a padded coat from there for crazy people...

Simply Red 12-08-2005 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsKing
We use to go to that old insane asylum in high school and see people from all over there. Sooo many people use to go there every weekend. It was right next to another insane asylum. It seemed there was a level you had to climb in/out through the floor too. We found a room with a bunch of jeans and really old coca-cola hats, and also a room with a bunch of projection equipment. The sober people in our group could take things, but we couldn't carry anything and hold our drinks too.

yeah, I have lived in Atlanta for about. What? 14-yrs. now. But the first 19 yrs. in K.C. and visiting cousin in Pittsburg, KS. I witnessed the craziest in MO. and KS. Much different than Georgia. Believe it or not...

phisherman 12-08-2005 10:53 PM

the old building at the front of the property that was torn down 1st was actually the old jail...
it's been gone for years now...i think SWAT or something used to use it for storage, my buddies found a ton of tear gas grenades there once

bp

phisherman 12-08-2005 10:53 PM

and by the way, tell some pittsburg stories..
bp

Simply Red 12-08-2005 10:59 PM

Quote:

and by the way, tell some pittsburg stories..
bp

I will later "zzzz" tired. Details to follow phisherman. I promise...

DenverChief 12-09-2005 12:21 AM

Quote:

Awesome website. Thanks.

Reminds me of day of the dead...the nike battery

stanleychief 12-09-2005 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare
The abandoned insane asylum

The LA coliseum ?

I think they mean Mile High near Invesco. From what I hear, there are people running around out there that think Plummer is Elway reincarnated from what I hear. Crazy bastages.

NewChief 12-09-2005 08:50 AM

Quote:

bp

Thanks for posting that link. I'd read an article about these guys a while back in a Fayetteville paper and meant to check out the website. It's cool to see people actually investigating these places that I've always wanted to check out (UofA steam tunnels and Mountain Inn).

For those of you who like ghosty/creepy stuff, you should definitely go to Eureka Springs, AR sometime and stay at the Crescent Hotel. Very spooky but cool place.

Kclee 12-09-2005 09:24 AM

Quote:

Yeah... I know. It was the "farm" that threw me. The only albino I know lives just like anyone else.

Oh sure, albinos live like anyone else, but these special breeds are not born like you or I. You have to cultivate them from the earth at these "farms". They're usually ripe on a moonless night in Aug. You see, you can't pick them in the full sun. They're ALBINOS.

Eleazar 12-09-2005 09:33 AM

Quote:

Dude, an albino is someone with no pigment.

MOhillbilly 12-09-2005 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise
Dude, an albino is someone with no pigment.

went to school w/ an albino. he was blind as a bat and strange as hell.

lived in a pink and green house and loved boy george , even in the 3rd grade that was odd.

Simply Red 12-09-2005 10:22 AM

Quote:

lived in a pink and green house and loved boy george , even in the 3rd grade that was odd.

ROFL This requires me to spell it out. "Rolling on the floor laughing"!! That is CLASSIC!!!

MOhillbilly 12-09-2005 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red
ROFL This requires me to spell it out. "Rolling on the floor laughing"!! That is CLASSIC!!!

lotta strange kids at Catholic schools.....

Alton deFlat 12-09-2005 10:50 AM

Quote:

lies to keep people away.

dont ruin it w/ facts.

Just like Roswell, NM. I know for a fact they have alein craft there. I saw it in a movie with Will Smith.

NewChief 12-09-2005 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Alton deFlat
Just like Roswell, NM. I know for a fact they have alein craft there. I saw it in a movie with Will Smith.

BTW,

Roswell is probably one of the biggest wastes of time I've ever had the displeasure of visiting. My wife and I were doing a week in the Guadalupe Mountains for Spring Break one year. We had been out in the backcountry for around 4 days when a serious snowstorm hit. My wife already had the flu before we'd hiked in, so I made the call and we hiked out. Looking for something else to do, we decided to head up to Carlsbad caverns then over to Roswell. Admittedly we went to Roswell as a sort of joke, not expecting much. Even not expecting much, I was dissapointed.

Rain Man 12-09-2005 11:08 AM

Quote:

There was an albino guy in my undergrad school, and he had really thick glasses. One time I was walking on campus and he was riding his bike, and he lost control at a pretty good speed and hurtled toward me. I grabbed the handlebars and he was on the brakes, and all that happened was that I slid backwards a couple of feet hanging on to his bike, but I couldn't help pondering the news report of me being killed in a nearsighted albino bike accident.

phisherman 12-09-2005 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief
BTW,

Roswell is probably one of the biggest wastes of time I've ever had the displeasure of visiting. My wife and I were doing a week in the Guadalupe Mountains for Spring Break one year. We had been out in the backcountry for around 4 days when a serious snowstorm hit. My wife already had the flu before we'd hiked in, so I made the call and we hiked out. Looking for something else to do, we decided to head up to Carlsbad caverns then over to Roswell. Admittedly we went to Roswell as a sort of joke, not expecting much. Even not expecting much, I was dissapointed.

a bunch of my friends in college went too...
there were all a bunch of excited stoners ready to see some UFO's...

they said it was the lamest experience ever

bp

phisherman 12-09-2005 11:21 AM

one of my new favorites on the undergroundozarks.com website is the 8th street tunnel..

when DST was demoing a hillside, they found an old street car tunnel from the turn of the 20th century

very cool, check those pics out

bp

Kclee 12-09-2005 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
There was an albino guy in my undergrad school, and he had really thick glasses. One time I was walking on campus and he was riding his bike, and he lost control at a pretty good speed and hurtled toward me. I grabbed the handlebars and he was on the brakes, and all that happened was that I slid backwards a couple of feet hanging on to his bike, but I couldn't help pondering the news report of me being killed in a nearsighted albino bike accident.

Did you use to call him Powder?

NewChief 12-09-2005 11:27 AM

Quote:

one of my new favorites on the undergroundozarks.com website is the 8th street tunnel..

when DST was demoing a hillside, they found an old street car tunnel from the turn of the 20th century

very cool, check those pics out

bp

Yeah, I remember reading about that. Also if you like this kind of stuff, check out the documentary film Dark Days. It's about a homeless community that lives in abandoned subway tunnels in NYC. A film maker goes and lives with them and shoots film about their community. It's pretty cool because they have some pretty amazing living spaces for "homeless" people.

phisherman 12-09-2005 11:34 AM

sounds very cool..

i've read a bit about these on some other websites, those squatters will live anywhere...i saw one guy that actually had made a small apartment in a drawbridge!

bp

ChiefsKing 12-09-2005 12:30 PM

When I attended SMSU in Springfield there was an african american albino that went there. The only way to tell he was african american was by his features. Weird to see a black guy with red eyes, white hair and skin though, definately something you don't see everyday. I didn't even know about that albino farm there. Was there for four long years and never even had heard about it. Also use to go to Jordan Creek a lot and never knew there were tunnels. Too busy drinking I guess.

MOhillbilly 12-09-2005 12:43 PM

when we were kids we would go to local caves and get in w/ flashlights and get out in stonecold pitchblack.

bout the most creeped out you can get.

try it.

phisherman 12-09-2005 12:54 PM

caving's interesting..best to take someone experienced or you can lost very very very easily

bp

NewChief 12-09-2005 01:05 PM

Quote:

caving's interesting..best to take someone experienced or you can lost very very very easily

bp

I used to do a lot of caving in high school and college. One of the coolest, and largest, caves I was ever in was located in Madison County Wildlife Refuge. We had been down in the cave for about 2 hours, moving pretty much non stop. We got to a point, and the guy showing us around said, "You can actually swim out of the cave at this point if anyone wants to." Me and a couple of others said we were going to do it. It was pretty crazy because there were points where there was only about a foot or so of air space between the water and roof of the cave.

Anyway, we emerged from the cave in about 5 minutes of swimming, soaking wet, to a temperature of around 40F. We'd given all the rest of the group our car keys and such, so we were locked out of our cars and had to wait for 2 hours for them to make their way back out of the cave the way we'd gone in. Needless to say, we had 2 hours of misery to contemplate our poor decision making skills. No one got hypothermia or even sick, somehow.

MOhillbilly 12-09-2005 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief
Anyway, we emerged from the cave in about 5 minutes of swimming, soaking wet, to a temperature of around 40F. We'd given all the rest of the group our car keys and such, so we were locked out of our cars and had to wait for 2 hours for them to make their way back out of the cave the way we'd gone in. Needless to say, we had 2 hours of misery to contemplate our poor decision making skills. No one got hypothermia or even sick, somehow.

shoulda rubed two sticks together....

Sully 12-09-2005 01:09 PM

I had a prof at Mizzou that was big into spelunking, so he would discuss it at every opportunity in our geog. class. Seems very interesting, if you do it safely.

phisherman 12-09-2005 01:09 PM

DOGPILE!

sometimes it works for warmth

bp

MOhillbilly 12-09-2005 01:11 PM

Quote:

DOGPILE!

sometimes it works for warmth

bp

my dad broke a gig and fell in once.
we did that-saved his ass.

phisherman 12-09-2005 01:22 PM

hell yes...

people mock it until they're out in freezing cold

bp

MOhillbilly 12-09-2005 01:24 PM

Quote:

hell yes...

people mock it until they're out in freezing cold

bp

no doubt.
when it hits the fan all the taboos go out the window.

phisherman 12-09-2005 01:34 PM

damn straight....btw, love Wild at Heart and Clockwork Orange...

some moloko plus?

bp

Rain Man 12-09-2005 01:41 PM

Quote:

when we were kids we would go to local caves and get in w/ flashlights and get out in stonecold pitchblack.

bout the most creeped out you can get.

try it.

I could never do that. It'd creep me out to much to keep thinking, "Hmm...if the flashlight dies, so do I."

Doing scuba spelunking is way beyond my limit. Now you can die even if you just get lost for an hour.

Halfcan 12-09-2005 01:42 PM

As teens, just for a scare, we used to go party near the Oddfellows home. It was an insane aslum on n. 291 past Indep. toward Liberty. One time someone had left a door open or something and all these elderly and very weird folks were walking out on the spacious lawn in hospitol gowns and pajamas. Very strange night.

Yes Selsa road supposedly had cults. We also used to jump the hill on Ringo road in Indep. before they graded it down due to a bad accident. At fifty you could get about 2-3 feet of air. I ended up in a guys yard driving my moms car-a Granada. Those were the days-lol

phisherman 12-09-2005 01:53 PM

ringo road was awesome! we jumped that thing a ton of times...

the oddfellows home is also very cool...never got a chance to get inside, but i've seen lots of pics..supposedly the owner is trying to turn it into a vineyard, and he employs a security guard that lives on the grounds...i got chased off once my freshman year in college

bp

MOhillbilly 12-09-2005 01:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan
As teens, just for a scare, we used to go party near the Oddfellows home. It was an insane aslum on n. 291 past Indep. toward Liberty. One time someone had left a door open or something and all these elderly and very weird folks were walking out on the spacious lawn in hospitol gowns and pajamas. Very strange night.

Yes Selsa road supposedly had cults. We also used to jump the hill on Ringo road in Indep. before they graded it down due to a bad accident. At fifty you could get about 2-3 feet of air. I ended up in a guys yard driving my moms car-a Granada. Those were the days-lol

ROFL its not an insane farm the oddfellows is an oldskool thing like the Shriners and KoC.

phisherman 12-09-2005 01:57 PM

yeah, it's an old folks home...
you can find stuff about it on the web, it's functioned as either an old folks home (for the old fellows order)or an orphanage(sponsored by the oddfellows) all the time it was open
bp

Sully 12-09-2005 01:58 PM

I remember jumping that. Is that where Ulberg got tore up?

JimNasium 12-09-2005 01:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man
I could never do that. It'd creep me out to much to keep thinking, "Hmm...if the flashlight dies, so do I."

Doing scuba spelunking is way beyond my limit. Now you can die even if you just get lost for an hour.

You never go into a cave without a backup light. Preferably a candle.

JimNasium 12-09-2005 01:59 PM

Quote:

ROFL its not an insane farm the oddfellows is an oldskool thing like the Shriners and KoC.

ROFL

Rain Man 12-09-2005 02:02 PM

Quote:

You never go into a cave without a backup light. Preferably a candle.

Yeah, but then I'd be going around thinking, "If this flashlight dies and the candle blows out, so do I."