ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Science Space Exploration megathread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=284057)

DaFace 06-07-2016 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 12264861)
Reusable rockets? Still a "wow" to me anyway.

They're gonna have to start flying them soon or they're gonna run out of room!

Donger 06-08-2016 06:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 12264861)
Reusable rockets? Still a "wow" to me anyway.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Fourth rocket arrives in the hangar. Aiming for first reflight in Sept/Oct. <a href="https://t.co/TqW8d6Cc3U">pic.twitter.com/TqW8d6Cc3U</a></p>&mdash; Elon Musk (@elonmusk) <a href="https://twitter.com/elonmusk/status/740296489532948480">June 7, 2016</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Why? The SRBs were rockets and they were re-used. It's impressive in the way these are recovered, certainly.

unlurking 06-08-2016 07:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Donger (Post 12265474)
Why? The SRBs were rockets and they were re-used. It's impressive in the way these are recovered, certainly.

It's less the methodology (although a rocket landing evokes incredible images from classic science fiction that tickle the imagination), than the vision of the team doing it. It finally feels like space is attainable again. For man. Fast and affordable reuse (something the SRB was not) has been marked as a cornerstone for SpaceX vision of making access to space cheap and boring.

Regardless of NASA'a awesome achievements (in spite of Congress), that's one thing they could never achieve. Without cheap and ubiquitous space access, there is no chance of the common man seeing space. My Dad grew up thinking he may one day get to go to space, when the space race was all about manned exploration (well, manned patriotic achievements anyway). I grew up doubting my grandchildren would ever see space, thanks to the current vision of robotic exploration. SpaceX is taking us back to the vision of man wandering the stars.

A rocket, and hopefully soon a capsule, standing tall after a powered landing is simply the promise that someone is again working towards manned exploration. My son now has dreams of going into space. While I'm not that optimistic, I have hope for his children.

Donger 06-08-2016 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12265515)
It's less the methodology (although a rocket landing evokes incredible images from classic science fiction that tickle the imagination), than the vision of the team doing it. It finally feels like space is attainable again. For man. Fast and affordable reuse (something the SRB was not) has been marked as a cornerstone for SpaceX vision of making access to space cheap and boring.

Regardless of NASA'a awesome achievements (in spite of Congress), that's one thing they could never achieve. Without cheap and ubiquitous space access, there is no chance of the common man seeing space. My Dad grew up thinking he may one day get to go to space, when the space race was all about manned exploration (well, manned patriotic achievements anyway). I grew up doubting my grandchildren would ever see space, thanks to the current vision of robotic exploration. SpaceX is taking us back to the vision of man wandering the stars.

A rocket, and hopefully soon a capsule, standing tall after a powered landing is simply the promise that someone is again working towards manned exploration. My son now has dreams of going into space. While I'm not that optimistic, I have hope for his children.

I wholeheartedly agree. Just pointing out an historical fact.

aturnis 06-11-2016 04:46 PM

SpaceX
@SpaceX

Next launch targeting June 15 for launch of the @Eutelsat_SA 117 West B and ABS-2A satellites. Launch window opens 10:29 am ET, 2:29 pm UTC

DaFace 06-14-2016 12:09 PM

Just a heads-up that we seem to be on track for a launch tomorrow morning around 9:30 Central. I'll barely even be getting to work at that time, so I probably won't be on much beforehand, but I'll try to bump it in the morning if they thread has fallen off the front page.

Another (yawn) barge landing for this one. ;) They'll be coming in hot again, so we'll see if they've really gotten the process down at this point - going for four in a row!

DaFace 06-15-2016 07:26 AM

Bump.

stumppy 06-15-2016 07:31 AM

At about what point in the countdown do they usually start the live feed ?

DaFace 06-15-2016 07:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 12276439)
At about what point in the countdown do they usually start the live feed ?

Typically around T-20 minutes or so.

stumppy 06-15-2016 08:10 AM

Cool. Hope it all goes alright.

Donger 06-15-2016 08:16 AM

:popcorn:

GloryDayz 06-15-2016 08:22 AM

I'm sneaking a peek at this from the meeting I'm in.. LOL!

DaFace 06-15-2016 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloryDayz (Post 12276508)
I'm sneaking a peek at this from the meeting I'm in.. LOL!

Been there. :)

eDave 06-15-2016 08:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 12276511)
Been there. :)

Doing it now. One minute

Donger 06-15-2016 08:28 AM

What a great video feed!