ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Believe it or not, Veach isn’t don’t yet. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=332253)

Pitt Gorilla 07-08-2020 12:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15056769)
For whatever reason? Really? How can you not see the difference here?

Veach has been amazing managing the cap. Dorsey was purely a scout...he just could not manage the cap competently.

Anthony Hitchens' contract called.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 07-08-2020 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 15056799)

Hitchens was a lot better last year under Spags

Pitt Gorilla 07-08-2020 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 15056800)
Hitchens was a lot better last year under Spags

Perhaps, but that signing was always a mistake.

Outside of that, though, there's not too much to complain about.

Direckshun 07-08-2020 12:11 AM

It’s hard to complain about any of Veach’s contracts in the wake of a Super Bowl win.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 07-08-2020 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 15056801)
Perhaps, but that signing was always a mistake.

Outside of that, though, there's not too much to complain about.

Just don’t put Hitchens one on one against a RB and it’ll all be fine. Aaron Jones torched his ass repeatedly last year

BossChief 07-08-2020 12:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15055897)
I don't think that's really far-fetched.

A Jones deal could clear a lot of his 2020 cap hit. If Clowney continues to be unable to find the long-term, megadeal he wants, he may look for a good one-year situation to increase his stock and accept a lower yearly rate ($12 million?)

KC would certainly fall into that category. Super Bowl contender, lets him play DE exclusively, great talent around him on the DL that ensures he gets a lot of single-team pass rush opportunities, high-scoring offense that's going to force teams to throw the ball a ton...

Clark
Taco
KPass
Speaks
Okafor
Harris
Ward
Hanna

Why would we spend any real money on Clowney?

Veach has the $ to sign the rookies...where would another 15m come from?

Let’s say Clowney would play for 10m for a year...we don’t have it unless we cut some guys.

duncan_idaho 07-08-2020 05:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 15056804)
Clark
Taco
KPass
Speaks
Okafor
Harris
Ward
Hanna

Why would we spend any real money on Clowney?

Veach has the $ to sign the rookies...where would another 15m come from?

Let’s say Clowney would play for 10m for a year...we don’t have it unless we cut some guys.

If Clowney needs $15 million on a one-year deal, it doesn’t work.

But they can find a way to make $10-12 million work if the Jones extension is set up to lower his year 1 cap hit. That could get them to around $14M under the cap.

I’d spend money on Clowney (or Everson Griffen, or Logan Ryan) because it makes the defense better.

Clowney and Griffen would immediately be the second best DE on the team. And major upgrades.

Harris, Danna, and Ward are not factors yet. You’re talking about a round 5 guy and a couple of street FAs.

Taco Charlton is just a Hail Mary signing. Speaks and Kpass are depth. Okafor would probably be another casualty to find the rest of the money, as I think they save $4 million if he’s cut.

It’s mostly a thought exercise. Suggs helped the defense a lot, and I’m not confident they have a second DE on the roster that can give them what he did.

When your GM is as aggressive as Brett Veach, it is fun - and makes some sense - to look at aggressive moves that are at least quasi possible.

Direckshun 07-08-2020 06:15 AM

Pretty much what Duncan said.

Extending Jones lowers his 2020 cap hit and gives you some $ to spend.

I’ve been saying “Wesley Woodyard” for months now and he’s still a free agent, but there’s an over the hill vet to give us a Suggs-esque push, but on the LB level. He’d be cheap at this point too.

Chris Meck 07-08-2020 09:25 AM

Clowney is NOT worth it.

The Franchise 07-08-2020 09:31 AM

I’d take a shot on Logan Ryan with a one year deal if we had the cap space after a Jones signing.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-08-2020 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 15056997)
Clowney is NOT worth it.

I never have liked Clowney. He just seems too hit and miss and thinks he's worth way more than he really is.

RunKC 07-08-2020 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 15056799)

His cap hits were $3.6 million in 2018 and $5.28 million last season. That’s cheap.

You guys need to seriously look at contracts on a year-to-year basis instead of the overall contract.

This is the first year he’s making big money and he can be a post June cut next year with only $8 million total dead money. Not great but you guys are acting like this is Justin Houston or Eric Berry contracts

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-08-2020 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 15056769)
For whatever reason? Really? How can you not see the difference here?

Veach has been amazing managing the cap. Dorsey was purely a scout...he just could not manage the cap competently.

I've heard Veach talk about,he has a team that their sole job is to work on cap numbers and they keep a plan for several years in advance. they already have a plan for what they're going to do in 2022

Bill Brasky 07-08-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15055492)
Don't care. When is the last time a class-of-the-league GM bailed ship in the middle of a team's dynasty because the owner was dumb enough not to pay him?

That's all Hunt money, too. It's not cap money.

He's staying.

I can't even imagine the scenario where Hunt lets Veach walk. His toughest job yet is the next 10 years. We're going to need to draft at a very high level to keep winning.

Sassy Squatch 07-08-2020 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bill Brasky (Post 15057150)
I can't even imagine the scenario where Hunt lets Veach walk. His toughest job yet is the next 10 years. We're going to need to draft at a very high level to keep winning.

As long as he never dips to 2018 levels again we'll be fine.