ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Why are Rivers and Eli HOF candidates? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=338804)

RunKC 06-22-2021 04:30 PM

Why are Rivers and Eli HOF candidates?

Just hearing this garbage about these guys is annoying as hell. Why do they get to get in?

What has Rivers done besides stat padding?

Eli never had an all pro season, never had a QB rating higher than 94 and won all of his postseason games with defenses that gave up 21 or less points.

Is the HOF really going this soft? Will they literally let just anyone that’s played forever in?

Mennonite 06-22-2021 04:35 PM

Eli helped stop Brady from having two more rings and kept the cheating Patriots from having a perfect season.

DaFace 06-22-2021 04:36 PM

The HOF overemphasizes QBs. Film at 11.

ptlyon 06-22-2021 04:40 PM

It's all a popularity contest anymore. And obligatory Manning reference.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 06-22-2021 04:44 PM

Eli will get in . Rivers nope

Sofa King 06-22-2021 04:48 PM

Eli should, Rivers shouldn’t. Rivers can be in the hall of good.

sedated 06-22-2021 04:48 PM

Eli was the QB of 2 super bowl winners, including one being an historic comeback against a (previously) 18-0 team.

Rivers is well inside the top 10 of pretty much every passing category there is.

Nitpick all you want, but electing those guys is not the "NFL going soft". There are many more questionable picks already in the Hall than those guys.

Rams Fan 06-22-2021 04:55 PM

Eli has 2 rings.

Rivers is his generation’s Marino.

Pretty simple.

Pablo 06-22-2021 05:00 PM

Eli deserves it just for keeping the pedophile from two rings.

Rainbarrel 06-22-2021 05:11 PM

Rivers got a lot of DBs paid, well. Eli is the Great Pumpkin, or something.

FloridaMan88 06-22-2021 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 15717941)
Eli has 2 rings.

So does Phil Simms.

Deberg_1990 06-22-2021 05:19 PM

It’s the hall lowering their standards over the years more than anything

It’s a business. They have to keep adding to the cupboard to keep the customers happy.

Frazod 06-22-2021 05:23 PM

Well I guess if that cheating Donx scum Davis can get in for two Super Bowls and nothing else, they might as well induct Eli.

MTG#10 06-22-2021 05:40 PM

Quote:

Eli has 2 rings.

Pretty simple.

Except he wasn't half as talented as Marino.

Rain Man 06-22-2021 05:53 PM

Quote:

Eli has 2 rings.

Pretty simple.

Eh, I would argue that he's not anywhere close to Marino. Marino was clearly the best quarterback of his generation other than maybe Montana. Rivers wasn't in the top 20 percent of his generation.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 15717946)
Eli deserves it just for keeping the pedophile from two rings.

This is the only valid argument for Eli. But I have a very strong position that no one who tries to cheat the draft system should ever be considered for the Hall of Fame.

No Eli Manning.
No Bo Jackson.
No John Elway.
No Kelly Stouffer.

None of those guys was good enough anyway. Just snuff them all off the list and forget about them.

tk13 06-22-2021 06:04 PM

Rivers lack of playoff success has to hurt him. Eli will never be in the convo among the real elite guys and is probably on the borderline. But the fact he has has two SBs, top 10 in passing TDs and yards. He's probably in. Plus his playoff runs were legendary. Beat an undefeated team for the first title, then the next title run he played great, beat Aaron Rodgers in Lambeau at the height of his powers when that team had won 21 of 22 games, then beat Brady a second time. He certainly didn't fluke his way to either of those championships. He beat some of the best QBs of all-time at the absolute peak of their careers.

Bump 06-22-2021 06:08 PM

Eli has 2 Superbowl rings and Rivers has stats

Halfcan 06-22-2021 08:19 PM

Rivers is the biggest choke artist in NFL history. He always found a way to lose the big game.

FloridaMan88 06-22-2021 08:24 PM

The second half of Eli’s career with the Giants, 8 seasons after his second Super Bowl win were dreadful… 7 missed playoffs in 8 of those seasons.

Prison Bitch 06-22-2021 08:33 PM

QB is by far the most important position. Are they really overrated in the media, in salaries or notoriety? Why would we think that?

I don’t put a huge premium on titles although I won’t say it’s wrong. NFL is a grind weekly so 10 wins for 15 years like Phillis had > Joe Flaccid’s title.

Do they deserve to be in? I’ll listen either way but were they faces of their franchise? Guys you’d watch? Guys who we are talking about today?

BryanBusby 06-22-2021 08:38 PM

https://www.thedrawplay.com/wp-conte...20-Eliface.png

ChiefGator 06-22-2021 08:41 PM

I honestly think Rivers should be in the HOF before Eli.. just too many bad years on Eli's resume.

Deberg_1990 06-22-2021 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 15718003)
Rivers lack of playoff success has to hurt him. Eli will never be in the convo among the real elite guys and is probably on the borderline. But the fact he has has two SBs, top 10 in passing TDs and yards. He's probably in. Plus his playoff runs were legendary. Beat an undefeated team for the first title, then the next title run he played great, beat Aaron Rodgers in Lambeau at the height of his powers when that team had won 21 of 22 games, then beat Brady a second time. He certainly didn't fluke his way to either of those championships. He beat some of the best QBs of all-time at the absolute peak of their careers.

It’s so weird. Eli was almost the exact opposite of Peyton.

Eli was just an average regular season QB, but balled out in the playoffs.

RunKC 06-22-2021 08:44 PM

Rivers I was nothing but a choker. The guy had it all. He constantly had very talented teams and won next to nothing in his career.

Eli didn’t win those Super Bowl’s. He got lucky on the Tyree catch but aside from that it was obvious that the Giants defense is what won them those titles.

comochiefsfan 06-22-2021 09:46 PM

Mahomes already has a better resume than both of them combined.

RealSNR 06-22-2021 09:54 PM

They put Terrell Davis in the goddamn HOF.

Bill Cowher is in the hall in spite of only having one Super Bowl and having a paltry amount of career wins for a HOF coach.

I remember when Priest set the TD record, people were wondering about his chances of going to the HOF. Some of it was just talk about what more he would have to do, but it was largely agreed that the precedent set in place was career production above all else, so he would have needed a good handful of successful years following that record season in order to get in.

And now it's just, "Oh, you had a nice little run for a couple seasons? You're in! You're a QB who played 15 seasons? You're in!"

For ****'s sake, these days you could make a ****ing argument that Alex Smith's injury recovery was so impressive and brilliant that he deserves to be in the HOF. I'm not saying he should, only that the new standards the NFL has allowed the HOF to become are pretty embarrassing. It's basically now if they like you, you're in.

DaneMcCloud 06-22-2021 10:32 PM

Quote:

Eli has 2 rings.

Pretty simple.

Oh, I wouldn't go that far with Rivers. He was no Dan Marino.

If Rivers gets in, the I guess the floodgates will open for other non-deserving QB's like Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford (at least to date - maybe he'll do something with the Rams but until he does, he's just another guy with a bunch of stats).

I really hope the writers are smart enough to see that while Rivers has big numbers, he was never able to put the Chargers on his back and will his team to a significant victory, even while playing next to two other Hall of Famers in Tomlinson and Gates.

As for Eli, the dude won two Super Bowls for the New York Giants. He's a shoo-in.

DaneMcCloud 06-22-2021 10:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefGator (Post 15718224)
I honestly think Rivers should be in the HOF before Eli.. just too many bad years on Eli's resume.

Terry Bradshaw had 212 TD's and 210 INT's. But he was the QB of the Pittsburgh Steelers, who won 4 Super Bowl titles with him, so he's in the Hall of Fame.

Eli threw 344 TD's vs. 266 INT's and won two Super Bowl titles, one against an 18-0 team.

He's a lock, regardless of his down years.

DaneMcCloud 06-22-2021 10:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15718322)
They put Terrell Davis in the goddamn HOF.

Bill Cowher is in the hall in spite of only having one Super Bowl and having a paltry amount of career wins for a HOF coach.

I remember when Priest set the TD record, people were wondering about his chances of going to the HOF.

What's sad is that Davis had a total of 8,887 yards and 60 TD's while playing next to the #1 overall pick in 1983 and a fellow Hall of Famer, while Priest Holmes had 86 TD's and 11,134 total yards while playing next to Trent Dilfer, Tony Banks, Damon Huard and a broken Trent Green.

If there's any organization that needs to clean house, it's the Pro Football Writers of America.

And what's a damn shame is that Terez is no longer here to talk some sense into those morons.

cosmo20002 06-22-2021 11:02 PM

FWiW

Marino - Rivers
240 - 240 - Games started
147- 134 - Wins
8-10 - 5-7 - Playoff record
61K - 63K - Yds
420 - 421 - TDs
252 - 209 - INT
59 - 64 - Comp %
86 - 95 - QB Rating

Some similar passing #s, although Marino played in an era when 3000 yards was a good season compared to 4000 for Rivers

Rams Fan 06-22-2021 11:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15718388)
Oh, I wouldn't go that far with Rivers. He was no Dan Marino.

If Rivers gets in, the I guess the floodgates will open for other non-deserving QB's like Matt Ryan and Matt Stafford (at least to date - maybe he'll do something with the Rams but until he does, he's just another guy with a bunch of stats).

I really hope the writers are smart enough to see that while Rivers has big numbers, he was never able to put the Chargers on his back and will his team to a significant victory, even while playing next to two other Hall of Famers in Tomlinson and Gates.

As for Eli, the dude won two Super Bowls for the New York Giants. He's a shoo-in.

I’d have to do some number crunching so I’ll revisit this post in like 2 or 3 days-going out of town-but Rivers was a phenomenal QB who literally got the wrong results in the postseason similar to Marino.

The 2006 loss to the Patriots was in large part due to an incredibly fluke fumble on an interception return that Marty wasted his last timeout on an unsuccessful challenge in addition to Kaeding shitting the bed

He went toe to toe with the 2007 Patriots on a torn ACL in the AFC Championship game in Foxboro.

Yes, his team didn’t make the SB, took advantage of a down AFC West for like 5 years, but he still played at a high level.

Ryan’s probably in for longevity along with multiple PO appearances and a MVP. Stafford is similar caliber of him but was stuck in Detroit.

RealSNR 06-22-2021 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15718397)
What's sad is that Davis had a total of 8,887 yards and 60 TD's while playing next to the #1 overall pick in 1983 and a fellow Hall of Famer, while Priest Holmes had 86 TD's and 11,134 total yards while playing next to Trent Dilfer, Tony Banks, Damon Huard and a broken Trent Green.

If there's any organization that needs to clean house, it's the Pro Football Writers of America.

And what's a damn shame is that Terez is no longer here to talk some sense into those morons.

I hear all the time from Donk homers, "He had a 2000 yard season!"

Okay. Then put Chris Johnson in the HOF. You run for 2000, you get in the hall!

Then they hem and haw about "Well, it was the 2000 yard season in a Super Bowl year, and blah blah blah..."

RealSNR 06-22-2021 11:35 PM

There's going to have to be a new more stringent benchmark for QBs in the HOF. QB play used to boil down to throwing more TDs than INTs in a season, and the guys who did that consistently got in the HOF (and they also had to win Super Bowls and/or have legendary and lengthy careers).

It's pretty easy for any asshat these days to meet those standards, so the NFL HOF is going to have to start being choosy. Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, and Matt Stafford all have HOF career numbers, but you're going to put all three of those guys in the hall? You start doing that and pretty soon you won't have room for any of the other legendary players at other positions.

You keep going down this path and it becomes a slippery slope to putting Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill, Derek Carr, and Cam Newton in the hall, too.

It's gotta stop at some point. Draw the line and mark it clearly for ****'s sake.

DaneMcCloud 06-22-2021 11:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 15718412)
I’d have to do some number crunching so I’ll revisit this post in like 2 or 3 days-going out of town-but Rivers was a phenomenal QB who literally got the wrong results in the postseason similar to Marino.

The 2006 loss to the Patriots was in large part due to an incredibly fluke fumble on an interception return that Marty wasted his last timeout on an unsuccessful challenge in addition to Kaeding shitting the bed

He went toe to toe with the 2007 Patriots on a torn ACL in the AFC Championship game in Foxboro.

Yes, his team didn’t make the SB, took advantage of a down AFC West for like 5 years, but he still played at a high level.

Ryan’s probably in for longevity along with multiple PO appearances and a MVP. Stafford is similar caliber of him but was stuck in Detroit.

In short, cornerbacks and safeties could all but mug receivers in Marino's era, whereas one wrong look could be called for a penalty during Rivers' era.

And trust me, Rivers got a lot those calls.

Megatron96 06-22-2021 11:48 PM

Rivers and Eli have the stats to be considered, but Rivers probably won't get in because of his utter lack of playoff success.

Eli will get in in large part because his brother is considered perhaps the best QB of all time. But the fact is, that outside of two Rings and some flashes of brilliance in those two playoff runs, Eli was statistically exactly dead-nuts average as an NFL QB. And even in those SB runs, look at his numbers; a tick over 200 yds/gm, a bit over 60% completion percentage, just 6 Td passes in 2007 through 4 games, and 9 in 2011 campaign, so something less than 2 Tds/game and a couple ticks over 2 TDs a game in 2011. Whoopee.

But TD/INT ratio, the one stat that jumps out at you. 3:1 in 2007, and a whopping 9:1 in 2011. Outside of that one stat line, Eli was basically Teddy Bridgewater.

cosmo20002 06-23-2021 12:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15718425)
There's going to have to be a new more stringent benchmark for QBs in the HOF. QB play used to boil down to throwing more TDs than INTs in a season, and the guys who did that consistently got in the HOF (and they also had to win Super Bowls and/or have legendary and lengthy careers).

It's pretty easy for any asshat these days to meet those standards, so the NFL HOF is going to have to start being choosy. Matt Ryan, Philip Rivers, and Matt Stafford all have HOF career numbers, but you're going to put all three of those guys in the hall? You start doing that and pretty soon you won't have room for any of the other legendary players at other positions.

You keep going down this path and it becomes a slippery slope to putting Kirk Cousins, Ryan Tannehill, Derek Carr, and Cam Newton in the hall, too.

It's gotta stop at some point. Draw the line and mark it clearly for ****'s sake.

I don't know if there's any possible compilation of these numbers, but Matt Ryan has got to be the all-time leader in garbage yards. I've had him as a fantasy QB a few times, and 58 yds/0 TDs in the 1st half was never a concern. With the game out of hand, he was always good for 250/2 TDs in the 2nd half, most coming in 4Q.

Gravedigger 06-23-2021 12:02 AM

Eli is like Trent Dilfer if Trent Dilfer was carried to one more Superbowl by that defense. The only thing Eli had to do was not **** it up, and he did that, but not **** it up doesn't deserve to be in the hall of fame.

cosmo20002 06-23-2021 12:10 AM

Regular season winning %
Eli - 50%
Jim Plunkett - 50%

playoff record
Eli 8-4, 2 SB wins
Plunkett 8-2, 2 SB wins

tk13 06-23-2021 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 15718432)
Rivers and Eli have the stats to be considered, but Rivers probably won't get in because of his utter lack of playoff success.

Eli will get in in large part because his brother is considered perhaps the best QB of all time. But the fact is, that outside of two Rings and some flashes of brilliance in those two playoff runs, Eli was statistically exactly dead-nuts average as an NFL QB. And even in those SB runs, look at his numbers; a tick over 200 yds/gm, a bit over 60% completion percentage, just 6 Td passes in 2007 through 4 games, and 9 in 2011 campaign, so something less than 2 Tds/game and a couple ticks over 2 TDs a game in 2011. Whoopee.

But TD/INT ratio, the one stat that jumps out at you. 3:1 in 2007, and a whopping 9:1 in 2011. Outside of that one stat line, Eli was basically Teddy Bridgewater.

Yeah but the reality is he still won two Super Bowls and beat some legends in the process. Not many QBs have ever won more. And a lot of winning QBs don't blow through the playoffs. That's a fantasy. Roethlisberger won 2 but his first one he put up a truly horrible stat line. Russell Wilson was a 200 yards/game passer early in his career with an all-time defense. Peyton Manning threw a bunch of INT during the Colts Super Bowl run and we all know he was completely washed during the last one. To this point even Mahomes career Super Bowl stats are fairly average.

Honestly the two QBs in recent years who really turned it on in the playoffs and just had a lights out playoff run all the way through were Joe Flacco and Nick Foles.

srvy 06-23-2021 12:53 AM

Eli won SB's Rivers none. Eli deserves it Rivers if he gets in Its a sham. Rivers only deserves HOF of crybaby whiners.

oldman 06-23-2021 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15718425)

I agree 100%, but then again, I hate QBs not named Mahomes or Dawson. As mentioned in a previous post, yards and TDs that come in garbage time are just that - garbage. What did the guy do for his team? Rivers choked way too many times and Eli seldom had to put the team on his back.

CoMoChief 06-23-2021 08:02 AM

Eli was NEVER one of the best QB during his time in the league.

Not even top 10.

****ing reeruned he can ride the backs of his superbowl defense and somehow eventually will get inducted into Canton, at least most people believe he will.

Not deserving at all......same with Rivers. Rivers was a choke artist. You can't be a chokeartist and be in the HoF, man.

ThaVirus 06-23-2021 08:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 15718550)
Eli was NEVER one of the best QB during his time in the league.

This is my issue. Eli was pretty average throughout a great deal of his career. Outside of durability (he did have a great Iron Man run) and a couple hot postseason runs (that I am so, so thankful for), he's just blah. It's tough to remember each individual season going so far back, but I think you're right. He was probably not even top 10 for the vast majority of his tenure.

Rivers, on the other hand, was definitely top 5 pretty frequently and generally at least top 8. He was a very good QB for quite a while, but the lack of postseason success really kills him. And I really hate to judge QBs by team accolades, but at some point I kind of feel like, if you truly are that great, you would have won something of significance at some point in a 15+ year career.

ptlyon 06-23-2021 08:20 AM

And let's not forget the bitch move Eli pulled for them to get them where they ended up in the first place

Gary Cooper 06-23-2021 08:23 AM

My rule is simple. If we need to debate it, that player is not deserving of induction. Neither player (nor Frank Gore) should be inducted. The longer this thread goes, the more correct is the theory.

Conversely, if someone started a thread asking if Drew Brees was HOF worthy, the discussion wouldn't last long.

Gary Cooper 06-23-2021 08:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 15718560)
This is my issue. Eli was pretty average throughout a great deal of his career. Outside of durability (he did have a great Iron Man run) and a couple hot postseason runs (that I am so, so thankful for), he's just blah. It's tough to remember each individual season going so far back, but I think you're right. He was probably not even top 10 for the vast majority of his tenure.

Rivers, on the other hand, was definitely top 5 pretty frequently and generally at least top 8. He was a very good QB for quite a while, but the lack of postseason success really kills him. And I really hate to judge QBs by team accolades, but at some point I kind of feel like, if you truly are that great, you would have won something of significance at some point in a 15+ year career.

I've never thought of Rivers as top 5. Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger were all better than him IMO. There was always some other QB you could throw into the mix as well during that time.

New World Order 06-23-2021 09:28 AM

Rivers kind of reminds me of Romo

Rain Man 06-23-2021 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cosmo20002 (Post 15718406)
FWiW

Marino - Rivers
240 - 240 - Games started
147- 134 - Wins
8-10 - 5-7 - Playoff record
61K - 63K - Yds
420 - 421 - TDs
252 - 209 - INT
59 - 64 - Comp %
86 - 95 - QB Rating

Some similar passing #s, although Marino played in an era when 3000 yards was a good season compared to 4000 for Rivers

That's an interesting comparison, but I agree that your last sentence tells the story. Rivers did it in an era when Manning*, Brees, and that patriot guy* were far above him. No one was above Marino in his era.

* - Some cheating involved.

Rain Man 06-23-2021 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 15718562)
And let's not forget the bitch move Eli pulled for them to get them where they ended up in the first place

Yep. And while I wouldn't vote for either of them, I'd vote for Rivers easily over Manning because Rivers played for a team that Manning was afraid to go to. Rivers manned up when Manning ran crying to his daddy.

lawrenceRaider 06-23-2021 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15718397)

Dane, even you could have run for north of 1,000 yards and 15 TDs behind that Chiefs OL. It was perhaps the best OL ever assembled.

A Smith or Sanders would have gone for 2500 yards on the ground and likely even more TDs.

lawrenceRaider 06-23-2021 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 15718626)
Rivers kind of reminds me of Romo

I'd rather have Romo than Rivers.

ThaVirus 06-23-2021 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JudasRising20 (Post 15718567)
I've never thought of Rivers as top 5. Brady, Manning, Rodgers, Brees, Roethlisberger were all better than him IMO. There was always some other QB you could throw into the mix as well during that time.

Yeah, looking back at the stats, you're probably right. He wasn't often top 5, though there were maybe three or four seasons in which I'd argue he was. Generally, top 8 would be a better billing for him.

Gravedigger 06-23-2021 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15718629)
That's an interesting comparison, but I agree that your last sentence tells the story. Rivers did it in an era when Manning*, Brees, and that patriot guy* were far above him. No one was above Marino in his era.

* - Some cheating involved.

But the rules during Rivers career were favoring the offense pretty heavily comparative to Marinos time, and I think that hurts Rivers more so than people realize. There was a reason why Rivers bitched every time a play didn't go his way, I don't remember seeing Marino cry that much during his career to get calls to go his way.

In terms of Hall of Fame status I would say that Eli deserves to get in on his Super Bowls and Playoff record alone, and will likely get in, however with Rivers I think he should have to wait awhile. He's close enough to Marino to warrant him getting in eventually, and they'll shove him in first ballot and say he's the next Dan Marino, but Phillip Rivers isn't Dan Marino, imo he should have to wait for a ballot or two to pass before he gets in.

They'll desperately try to play off Rivers, Eli and Big Ben's year as the closest to 1983 that you can get, and that is technically true as it hasn't been seen since that time, but I'll take John, Jim and Dan over Eli, Ben and Phillip any day of the week.

GayFrogs 06-23-2021 10:04 AM

I don't think Rivers was good enough to overcome his lack of playoff success. King of the wild card round and not much else...whoop de doo. If eli gets in, frank clark and sammy watkins should also get in.

FloridaMan88 06-23-2021 11:06 AM

I'd put Drew Bledsoe into the HOF before Phyllis... which is more of an indictment of Phyllis' candidacy.

At least Bledsoe had some postseason success... leading the Faketriots to the Super Bowl under Parcells.

Frazod 06-23-2021 11:14 AM

The only way Rivers gets in is if his luck changes. Dude must have been born under a ladder in a room full of broken mirrors and black cats. Nobody could find ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory quite like the Phyllis-led Chargers. All the talented teams he was on and they couldn't win shit.

That victory formation fumble against us kind of sums up his career.

Gary Cooper 06-23-2021 11:39 AM

Although I don't believe either player should be inducted, I have no doubt both will be inducted. Frank Gore will get in as well.

Does anyone not see Rivers and Manning both getting in?

Rain Man 06-23-2021 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 15718736)
The only way Rivers gets in is if his luck changes. Dude must have been born under a ladder in a room full of broken mirrors and black cats. Nobody could find ways to snatch defeat from the jaws of victory quite like the Phyllis-led Chargers. All the talented teams he was on and they couldn't win shit.

That victory formation fumble against us kind of sums up his career.

He retired in the offseason, so the only way his luck is changing is that he'll likely never choke away a game again. But it's still possible that he'll be on the sidelines as a guest and will accidentally trip a Charger who's running for a winning touchdown.

Frazod 06-23-2021 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15718764)
He retired in the offseason, so the only way his luck is changing is that he'll likely never choke away a game again. But it's still possible that he'll be on the sidelines as a guest and will accidentally trip a Charger who's running for a winning touchdown.

LMAO

He's the football version of Bad Luck Schleprock.

FloridaMan88 06-23-2021 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 15718764)
He retired in the offseason, so the only way his luck is changing is that he'll likely never choke away a game again.

He's a high school football HC now so he has new ways of choking, both as a coach and teaching a new generation of future chokers.

Eureka 06-23-2021 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 15717932)
Eli was the QB of 2 super bowl winners, including one being an historic comeback against a (previously) 18-0 team.

Rivers is well inside the top 10 of pretty much every passing category there is.

Nitpick all you want, but electing those guys is not the "NFL going soft". There are many more questionable picks already in the Hall than those guys.

Quote:

Eli has 2 rings.

Pretty simple.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bump (Post 15718006)
Eli has 2 Superbowl rings and Rivers has stats

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15718388)

James William Plunkett (born December 5, 1947) is a former American football quarterback who played in the National Football League (NFL) for sixteen seasons. ... He is the only eligible quarterback with two Super Bowl wins as a starter not to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The Raiders were the first team to ever win the SB as a wildcard team. Jim Plunkett started that season as the backup.

htismaqe 06-23-2021 01:43 PM

Eli is the definition of championship clutch. Not sure I really have a problem with that.

Rivers is a compiler. Stats are stats. Dude doesn't belong in the HoF.

DaneMcCloud 06-23-2021 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eureka (Post 15718927)
James William Plunkett (born December 5, 1947) is a former American football quarterback who played in the National Football League (NFL) for sixteen seasons. ... He is the only eligible quarterback with two Super Bowl wins as a starter not to be inducted into the Pro Football Hall of Fame. The Raiders were the first team to ever win the SB as a wildcard team. Jim Plunkett started that season as the backup.

Plunket threw for only 25,000 yards, 164 TD's versus 198 INT's with a completion percentage of 52.5, which is dreadful, with an overall starting record of 72-72.

Plunkett isn't in the NFL HoF because he does not deserve Hall of Fame status.

He's like the Trent Dilfer of Super Bowl QB's.

EPodolak 06-23-2021 02:46 PM

Are they official candidates? Hadn't heard that...

I'd say the likelihood a guy who won Superbowls in New York and is named Manning has a good chance....

Rivers accomplished some things most guys don't, sure. Wouldn't he be the only QB to never appear in a SB in the hall? Don't know if he's got as much chance, unless of course his children are voting.

DaneMcCloud 06-23-2021 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EPodolak (Post 15719003)
Are they official candidates? Hadn't heard that...

Every former NFL player is eligible for the Hall of Fame five years after they've retired, so neither is on the 2021 ballot

CoMoChief 06-23-2021 03:49 PM

Wonder how many SB's Rivers could have won with the NYG and some of those good defenses and players?

sedated 06-23-2021 04:00 PM

For some reason I don't have much problem with Rivers going in, but shudder at the thought of Matt Ryan going in. No clue why. Especially given that if Rivers was on Atlanta, they never would have made it to that one super bowl. Guess I need to reconsider.

FloridaMan88 06-23-2021 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 15719073)
Wonder how many SB's Rivers could have won with the NYG and some of those good defenses and players?

Zero because he would have negated that with an untimely interception.

Also don’t forget that the Chargers had one of the most talented rosters in the NFL during the first 5-6 years of his career as a starting QB.

Frazod 06-23-2021 04:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 15719073)

He played on several Chargers teams with Super Bowl talent on both sides. They just always choked.

sedated 06-23-2021 04:44 PM

Rivers was literally so addicted to F-ing up games that he fumbled the snap on a kneel down.

Mile High Mania 06-25-2021 06:43 AM

Well, we are in the era of great stats and longevity = HOF

Eli won 2 rings and had a fairly solid career... not shocked at all and yes, he will get into the HOF. #8 career passing yards / #9 career TDs

Fun oddity, 117/117 record.

Rivers... yeah, no way to really defend it. Ranks higher than Eli on some stats rankings. And, has actually won more games with a 134-106 record and played 1 more season.

Mile High Mania 06-25-2021 06:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 15719081)
For some reason I don't have much problem with Rivers going in, but shudder at the thought of Matt Ryan going in. No clue why. Especially given that if Rivers was on Atlanta, they never would have made it to that one super bowl. Guess I need to reconsider.

Matt Ryan definitely gets in as well... same with Stafford, bank on it.

oldman 06-25-2021 06:57 AM

Empty stats are just that, empty stats. The way I look at the QB position is like this. When the game is on the line, can he put the team on his back and win? Not just once or twice, but week in and week out. Rivers -- biggest choker in the NFL. Eli --the D won those SBs, he just put enough points on the board. Ryan -- bitch, please. Stafford -- maybe someday. Guys like Dawson, Montana, Unitas, Aikman, and Farve (just to name a few) are true HoFers.

Red Dawg 06-25-2021 07:31 AM

The HOF is a pile of shit. It's a mandated 5 players in every year TV show and a game for money. That's it. There are not players worthy every year so they just let mother ****ers in on unworthy creds constantly. Terrell Davis maybe the worst. He had a great like 2 years and that's it and he stopped playing. How the hell does that stack up to other greats that played 5 times as long?

It doesn't and it's bullshit.

Red Dawg 06-25-2021 07:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 15720804)
Empty stats are just that, empty stats. The way I look at the QB position is like this. When the game is on the line, can he put the team on his back and win? Not just once or twice, but week in and week out. Rivers -- biggest choker in the NFL. Eli --the D won those SBs, he just put enough points on the board. Ryan -- bitch, please. Stafford -- maybe someday. Guys like Dawson, Montana, Unitas, Aikman, and Farve (just to name a few) are true HoFers.

My problem with Rivers isn't stats. How many times did he even win his own division? Almost never and there wasn't even a stud QB in it stopping him for many years.

BleedingRed 06-25-2021 07:39 AM

https://i.pinimg.com/564x/fd/0a/50/f...e0e7554370.jpg

BleedingRed 06-25-2021 07:44 AM

Eli Manning Record is 117-117.......... He is a .500 QB that happened to win two Super Bowls.

Wtf are we even entertaining this for? Those two rings have more to do with his defense (esp in fist SB) than him. For christ sakes he threw up a prayer to win the first one.

There is nothing HoF about Eli Manning, if you are saying he deserves to go into HoF because of 4-ish plays in two different SB's you duuuumb.

He threw for a grand total of 500 yards and 3TDs in two SB's.....

ThaVirus 06-25-2021 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 15720863)
He threw for a grand total of 500 yards and 3TDs in two SB's.....

He's got better stats in Super Bowls than Mahomie

RunKC 06-25-2021 08:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 15720874)
He's got better stats in Super Bowls than Mahomie

And this ladies and gentlemen is why context matters

Rain Man 06-25-2021 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 15720791)
Well, we are in the era of great stats and longevity = HOF

Eli won 2 rings and had a fairly solid career... not shocked at all and yes, he will get into the HOF. #8 career passing yards / #9 career TDs

Fun oddity, 117/117 record.

Rivers... yeah, no way to really defend it. Ranks higher than Eli on some stats rankings. And, has actually won more games with a 134-106 record and played 1 more season.

The longevity is indeed a key factor.

The rules are set up now so quarterbacks seldom get hit, and the market is set up so they make massive amounts of money. As a result, quarterbacks have no real incentive to retire. They play forever, never get hurt, and pile up stats in an era that's specifically tailored for them to pile up stats. Over the next decade, we may see a number of mediocre quarterbacks pile up 60,000 career passing yards. Rivers is the first of those, and "The Other Manning" was a season away.

The only thing that can keep a quarterback from compiling lots of stats these days is if he gets beat out by a younger quarterback.