ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   KU ***** Official 2018-2019 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread ***** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314740)

saphojunkie 04-04-2018 12:37 PM

***** Official 2018-2019 Kansas Basketball Repository Thread *****

**** the Final Four. Championship or bust, baby.

Will update as people declare for the draft/transfer/commit

ROSTER:

Spoiler!

BYE BYE

Spoiler!

FULL SCHEDULE:

https://kuathletics.com/documents/20...9_schedule.pdf

Spoiler!

PHILLIPS 66 BIG 12 CHAMPIONSHIP

Spoiler!

NCAA MEN'S BASKETBALL CHAMPIONSHIP:

Spoiler!

More updates to come.

Let's go get Championship number 4 (6)!

Fansy the Famous Bard 04-04-2018 12:48 PM

Go 'Hawks!

BigRedChief 04-04-2018 01:17 PM

In 2nd

Mr_Tomahawk 04-04-2018 01:30 PM

Malik is gone?

Kiimo 04-04-2018 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 13503054)
Malik is gone?

Yes unless you believe in Santa Claus

cmh6476 04-04-2018 02:02 PM

this appears to have been updated last week with no mention of newman. Here's hoping...

http://www.nbadraft.net/2018mock_draft

Kiimo 04-04-2018 02:25 PM

Yeah because that sight is made by a dumbass who has zero insider knowledge. Don't read that site.

ROYC75 04-04-2018 02:31 PM

I just want to get in on the 1st page!

smithandrew051 04-04-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Malik is gone?

We came into the year with the understanding he would leave after one year.

He helped us win 14 straight.

He took over the Big 12 tournament.

He torched Duke and led us to a Final Four.

I won’t be mad at all if he leaves. I don’t think he has a true position in the NBA (too small to be a 2, not the ball handler to be a 1), but it’s not like that would change with another year or two of college.

I think he should capitalize on that late run he made. No need to risk injury or a down year. Take the money and run.

jjchieffan 04-04-2018 02:48 PM

Screw the Gheyhawks. And, with that. I exit this thread and put it on ignore. I don't want Beaker crap on my front page. :cuss:

O.city 04-04-2018 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 13503187)
Screw the Gheyhawks. And, with that. I exit this thread and put it on ignore. I don't want Beaker crap on my front page. :cuss:

Considering you don't believe the earth was around the year they started the BIg 12 streak, you will be missed.

jimidollar 04-04-2018 02:56 PM

Probably doesn't believe the earth is round either.

Dunit35 04-04-2018 04:20 PM

Saw Malik declare with an agent. It was on KU’s Facebook today.

SAUTO 04-04-2018 04:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunit35 (Post 13503310)
Saw Malik declare with an agent. It was on KU’s Facebook today.

He declared and plans on hiring an agent

jjjayb 04-04-2018 04:25 PM

Kenpom says we've got very little shot of doing anything next year. The rest of the big 12 is the best field of big 12 teams we've ever gone against. Guess we'll just have to wait until 2019-2020.

smithandrew051 04-04-2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjjayb (Post 13503321)
Kenpom says we've got very little shot of doing anything next year. The rest of the big 12 is the best field of big 12 teams we've ever gone against. Guess we'll just have to wait until 2019-2020.

We need to just cancel these seasons already and let Kenpom award victories in every game once the rosters and schedules are final. That would save a lot of time...but then what would I worry about?

Titty Meat 04-04-2018 04:59 PM

Next year's team has as good a chance as anyone at winning it all

Titty Meat 04-04-2018 05:03 PM

Bracketology has you guys as a 1 next year

http://m.espn.com/ncb/bracketology?i...on=3&year=2018

BigRedChief 04-04-2018 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 13503357)
Next year's team has as good a chance as anyone at winning it all

l think most people consider this years team the least talented team in recent years.

Now the very next year, we have the most talented team in recent memory, at least on paper because of recruiting success and transfers. We should be #1 team out of the gate and favorite to win it all.

cmh6476 04-04-2018 05:25 PM

And haven't all the transfers had the luxury of practicing with this over-achieving team next year?

BigRedChief 04-04-2018 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 13503362)
Bracketology has you guys as a 1 next year

http://m.espn.com/ncb/bracketology?i...on=3&year=2018

OMG! :eek: Xavier as a #8? Davidson and Oregon all in our sweet 16 bracket. Let the worrying begin.

JoeyChuckles 04-04-2018 06:35 PM

Goodbye, Newman.

Kiimo 04-04-2018 07:00 PM

Quote:

Malik is gone?

Told ya

Kiimo 04-04-2018 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjchieffan (Post 13503187)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?time_c...&v=qFNdAltDUGM

Pablo 04-04-2018 07:13 PM

Thanks for the memories and best of luck Malik. On to next year! Should be a fun one!

threebag 04-04-2018 07:15 PM

Going to be a long wait for NCAABB. Hope the Hawks push through to the title game next year.

Come on NFL

Mr_Tomahawk 04-04-2018 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiimosabi (Post 13503572)
Told ya

Congrats.

Way to go out on a limb.

Chief Pagan 04-04-2018 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jjjayb (Post 13503321)

But what does Rusty say?

T-post Tom 04-05-2018 05:14 AM

Sam Mellinger's best guess for next year's starting 5:

PG: Devon Dotson, the No. 19 recruit according to the Recruiting Services Consensus Index.

SG: Quentin Grimes, the No. 12 recruit according to RSCI.

SF: K.J. Lawson, a transfer who averaged 12.3 points and 8.1 rebounds for Memphis last season.

PF: Dedric Lawson, a transfer who averaged 19.2 points and 9.9 rebounds for Memphis last season.

C: Udoka Azubuike, the 7-foot center who will likely be asked to be more of a rim protector and rebounder than scorer next season.

T-post Tom 04-05-2018 05:18 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="cs"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Here&#39;s my computer&#39;s top 10 for 2019 assuming everyone in <a href="https://twitter.com/DraftExpress?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@DraftExpress</a> top 40 leaves: 1) Kansas, 2) Duke, 3) Villanova, 4) Auburn, 5) Kentucky, 6) North Carolina, 7) Nevada, 8) West Virginia, 9) Gonzaga, 10) Virginia, 11) Maryland.</p>&mdash; Ken Pomeroy (@kenpomeroy) <a href="https://twitter.com/kenpomeroy/status/977576572977692673?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">24. března 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BigRedChief 04-05-2018 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 13503936)
Sam Mellinger's best guess for next year's starting 5:

PG: Devon Dotson, the No. 19 recruit according to the Recruiting Services Consensus Index.

SG: Quentin Grimes, the No. 12 recruit according to RSCI.

SF: K.J. Lawson, a transfer who averaged 12.3 points and 8.1 rebounds for Memphis last season.

PF: Dedric Lawson, a transfer who averaged 19.2 points and 9.9 rebounds for Memphis last season.

C: Udoka Azubuike, the 7-foot center who will likely be asked to be more of a rim protector and rebounder than scorer next season.

No way Vick cracks that line up. I know they are not playing Vicks position but, McCormick looks like a monster and he's not even starting. Moore is supposed to be one of the best true point guards in the nation and he doesn't start?

Now that Self has enough talented bigs, I bet he goes back to his traditional high/low offense.

sedated 04-05-2018 10:19 AM

As talented as that group will be, I still wish they had an Jr/Sr leader at one of the guard spots.

(Even if Vick stays, I don't think he'll qualify)

T-post Tom 04-05-2018 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13504006)
No way Vick cracks that line up. I know they are not playing Vicks position but, McCormick looks like a monster and he's not even starting. Moore is supposed to be one of the best true point guards in the nation and he doesn't start?

Now that Self has enough talented bigs, I bet he goes back to his traditional high/low offense.

Mellinger acknowledged that this is speculation at this point. No telling how things might change between now and the first game of next season. However it ends up, KU is stacked. Mellinger also made the point that this is the first time Self has come out of the final four with a better roster for the following season. Final Four followed by a National Championship? :drool:

BWillie 04-05-2018 10:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13503382)
l think most people consider this years team the least talented team in recent years.

Now the very next year, we have the most talented team in recent memory, at least on paper because of recruiting success and transfers. We should be #1 team out of the gate and favorite to win it all.

Fallacy.

Devonte Graham Top 35 recruit.
Malik Newman Top 8 recruit.
Legerald Vick Top 50 recruit.
Svi would have been a Top 15 recruit and a 5-star had he been included in USA recruiting rankings, and has been said many times after we nabbed him.
Udoka Top 30 recruit.
Mitch Lightfoot Top 70 recruit.
Garrett Top 45 recruit.
Silvio Top 30 recruit.

Compare that to next year.
Charlie Moore Top 60 recruit.
Dedric Lawson Top 40 recruit.
KJ Lawson Top 60 recruit.
Grimes Top 15 recruit.
Dotson Top 25 recruit.
McCormack Top 40 recruit.
Agabai Top 400 recruit.

So, out of these two teams, one would argue the most talented kids out of HS were Malik Newman, Svi and Quinten Grimes. Followed by Doke, Dotson & Silvio (who was on our team this year).

BigRedChief 04-05-2018 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13504252)
Fallacy.

Svi would have been a Top 15 recruit and a 5-star had he been included in USA recruiting rankings, and has been said many times after we nabbed him.
Udoka Top 30 recruit.
Garrett Top 45 recruit.
Silvio Top 30 recruit.

Grimes Top 15 recruit.
Dotson Top 25 recruit.
Agabai Top 400 recruit.

So, out of these two teams, one would argue the most talented kids out of HS were Malik Newman, Svi and Quinten Grimes. Followed by Doke, Dotson & Silvio (who was on our team this year).

come on man, If Graham was a top 35 recruit why did he sign at Appalachian state?

You are the only person I've ever heard say this wasn't Self's least talent team in recent times.

Doesn't matter what this years team did in high school. Same as this new recruiting class.. Lots of talent coming out of high school, but will they jell, learn and continue to get better? We shall see.

There is a reason almost everyone has us as the best team in the country next year. Self and the new recruits.

Mr. Plow 04-05-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13503189)
Considering you don't believe the earth was around the year they started the BIg 12 streak, you will be missed.

:clap:

smithandrew051 04-05-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13504252)
Fallacy.

Udoka Top 30 recruit.
Garrett Top 45 recruit.
Silvio Top 30 recruit.

Grimes Top 15 recruit.
Dotson Top 25 recruit.
Agabai Top 400 recruit.

This is EXTREMELY skewed.

We aren’t talking just about incoming freshmen. We’re talking about guys who have college experience too. Once they’ve played college ball, who cares about their recruit rank?

Dedric Lawson averaged 20 and 10 at Memphis. You could easily argue that he’s proven to be better than he was ranked.

Moore averaged double figures as a freshman in a major conference. You could argue that he’s better than his ranking.

Here’s another example. Please compare Frank Mason and Josh Selby as high school recruits. We were all far more excited about Selby out of high school than Frank. Once they were on campus, those rankings didn’t matter anymore.

BWillie 04-05-2018 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13504306)
come on man, If Graham was a top 35 recruit why did he sign at Appalachian state?

You are the only person I've ever heard say this wasn't Self's least talent team in recent times.

Doesn't matter what this years team did in high school. Same as this new recruiting class.. Lots of talent coming out of high school, but will they jell, learn and continue to get better? We shall see.

There is a reason almost everyone has us as the best team in the country next year. Self and the new recruits.

https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...te-graham-9850

Yes I realize he went to prep school, but doesn't change the fact that when we got Devonte, he was a high recruit. There is absolutely no way Dotson is going to be ANYWHERE close to as good as the PG play we had the last few years between Mason and Graham.

sedated 04-05-2018 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13504323)
https://n.rivals.com/content/prospec...te-graham-9850

Yes I realize he went to prep school, but doesn't change the fact that when we got Devonte, he was a high recruit. There is absolutely no way Dotson is going to be ANYWHERE close to as good as the PG play we had the last few years between Mason and Graham.

Yes, once a recruit has a number by their name, that's what they are going to be. Case closed.

BWillie 04-05-2018 11:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sedated (Post 13504332)
Yes, once a recruit has a number by their name, that's what they are going to be. Case closed.

Should we go by NBA players? This years team has the following players who will play in the NBA someday:

Devonte Graham
Malik Newman
Udoka Azubuike
Svi Myhailiuk
Silvio DeSousa

That's pretty good no? I just think saying this team wasn't as talented as any teams Self has had in the last 15 years is quite an exaggeration. That seems to be the typical narrative.

Kiimo 04-05-2018 01:05 PM

No sorry he's right going by Rivals rankings ESPECIALLY four years later is extremely misguided.

These services change their rankings when a big coach selects them. You rarely if every see a 2-star player start at a KU/Duke/UNC or whatever because as soon as there is interest from a Cal or Roy or K these guys shoot up the rankings because *shocked gasp* they're better talent evaluators than Eric Bossi or whomever.

O.city 04-06-2018 09:15 AM

Vick officially turning pro

SuperChief 04-06-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13505459)
Vick officially turning pro

Not hiring an agent, though. I wish Malik would do that. Options, man.

DanBecky 04-06-2018 09:29 AM

Man, this opens the door for Romeo Langford. All of our four starting guards are now gone. SO many minutes in the backcourt are available next year. I'm already excited. Really gonna miss those guys that are moving on though.

DanBecky 04-06-2018 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 13505461)
Not hiring an agent, though. I wish Malik would do that. Options, man.

I could see why Malik is though. He's over college, he used KU as a springboard to the NBA. He's betting on himself and is 100 percent committed. It was always the plan, no matter how the season turned out for him. He played his way into a better draft position with his hot postseason.

I see what you're saying though. Selfishly I'd love to see Malik back just to have some stability in the backcourt and someone the young guys can lean on.

SuperChief 04-06-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DanBecky (Post 13505482)
I could see why Malik is though. He's over college, he used KU as a springboard to the NBA. He's betting on himself and is 100 percent committed. It was always the plan, no matter how the season turned out for him. He played his way into a better draft position with his hot postseason.

I see what you're saying though. Selfishly I'd love to see Malik back just to have some stability in the backcourt and someone the young guys can lean on.

Yeah, I totally get why he's doing it and that he feels 100% ready - it's just nice having the option to be able to retreat if things don't pan out. Vick will probably need that backdoor, even though Self is publicly doubting that. Probably a play for Romeo.

DanBecky 04-06-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 13505488)
Yeah, I totally get why he's doing it and that he feels 100% ready - it's just nice having the option to be able to retreat if things don't pan out. Vick will probably need that backdoor, even though Self is publicly doubting that. Probably a play for Romeo.

Oh yeah, I think so too. Kinda like he did with Brannen Greene. Just a little nudge out the door with some encouraging words to the media.

SuperChief 04-06-2018 10:09 AM

It appears Vick truly is done @ KU. Hopefully he can underperform on the biggest stages in the NBA.

j/k - good for him. All the best, Vick.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2018/a...tion-turn-pro/

smithandrew051 04-06-2018 10:17 AM

It’s actually pretty smart for Vick to go.

Unless he has a crazy Frank Mason or Devonte Graham senior year, he’ll only hurt his stock by coming back.

Vick’s game has enough flaws, that less is more when considering his draft stock.

His best hope is that the scouts drool at his athletic ability and streaky shooting.

If he came back, I would guess that his flaws would be further exposed as he tries to assert himself as a senior playmaker.

Probably a good call to go while he’s a little more of a high-upside unknown.

Fansy the Famous Bard 04-06-2018 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 13505551)
It’s actually pretty smart for Vick to go.

Unless he has a crazy Frank Mason or Devonte Graham senior year, he’ll only hurt his stock by coming back.

Vick’s game has enough flaws, that less is more when considering his draft stock.

His best hope is that the scouts drool at his athletic ability and streaky shooting.

If he came back, I would guess that his flaws would be further exposed as he tries to assert himself as a senior playmaker.

Probably a good call to go while he’s a little more of a high-upside unknown.

$1 million a year starting this year or next year overseas... not a whole lot of difference, except he'll be getting paid here in a couple months vs Not. Take the money, son.

sedated 04-06-2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 13505530)
It appears Vick truly is done @ KU. Hopefully he can underperform on the biggest stages in the NBA.

j/k - good for him. All the best, Vick.

http://www2.kusports.com/news/2018/a...tion-turn-pro/

Vick has a 5 year old daughter? And he's 21?

His mom's comment about not being selfish and giving someone else a chance seems a bit odd. Makes it sound like staying 3 (or 4) years is too long.

BWillie 04-06-2018 11:33 AM

Well if this doesn't get Langford to come to KU I don't know what would.

Kiimo 04-06-2018 12:35 PM

Looking at the composite score that makes up draft classes and if Romeo chooses KU we will have the #2 class in the country and that doesn’t include De Sousa, The Lawsons, Moore. Suddenly it makes sense why we'd be #1 in the country in the preseason polls.

Ceej 04-06-2018 03:12 PM

Man, not sure what to think about next year's team.

Sounds like all of the potential and talent in the world though.

And the team will be deeeeeeeep.

Mr. Plow 04-11-2018 07:14 AM

http://www.espn.com/mens-college-bas...sketball-probe

Quote:

Adidas executive James Gatto handed more criminal counts in college basketball probe

Federal prosecutors in New York on Tuesday added additional criminal counts to the indictment of Adidas executive James Gatto, alleging for the first time that he conspired to provide cash payments to the families of former basketball players at Kansas and NC State.

The superseding indictment also alleges that Adidas consultant Merl Code and Christian Dawkins, a runner for former NBA agent Andy Miller, conspired with Gatto to commit wire fraud and pay $100,000 to the father of Louisville recruit Brian Bowen.

Gatto, Code and Dawkins were among 10 men arrested in late September following the FBI's clandestine investigation into bribes and other corruption in college basketball. They are scheduled to go on trial at U.S. District Court in New York in October.

The new indictment alleges Gatto and another unidentified Adidas consultant conspired to provide at least $90,000 to the mother of a former Kansas player between October 2016 and November 2017, and at least $20,000 to the legal guardian of a second player who committed to the Jayhawks in August 2017.

Sources told ESPN's Jeff Goodman that the first Kansas player is former five-star recruit Billy Preston, who did not appear in a game for the Jayhawks this past season, before turning pro because of eligibility concerns. Preston announced his commitment on Nov. 18, 2016.

A federal indictment released on Tuesday alleges the payments were made to ensure the players signed with Kansas and then inked endorsement deals with Adidas once they turned pro. The indictment says the payments were concealed from the university and NCAA.

The indictment says Gatto and others concealed payments to the first Kansas player by transferring money to an AAU team controlled by the unidentified Adidas consultant. Among the noted payments, prosecutors say the consultant delivered $30,000 to the player's mother at a hotel room in New York on Oct. 31, 2016, and another $20,000 in cash at a hotel room in Las Vegas on Jan. 19, 2017. The consultant also wired $15,000 to the player's mother on June 14, 2017.

In August 2017, the indictment alleges, the second Kansas player's legal guardian informed the consultant that the player had received illicit payments to attend a school sponsored by one of Adidas' rivals. The guardian told the consultant that the student-athlete was more interested in attending Kansas, but would need to repay payments from the rival apparel company in order to do so.

The second player announced he would enroll at Kansas on Aug. 30, 2017, according to the indictment, and on Sept. 11, 2017, Gatto was informed by the unidentified Adidas consultant that he would need to make "another $20,000 payment" to the player's guardian to help the student-athlete "out from under" the deal to sign with the other school.

The only Kansas player who committed on Aug. 30, 2017 is Silvio De Sousa, who is from Angola, attended IMG Academy and joined the Jayhawks in late December. De Sousa averaged 8.8 minutes in 20 games, and scored seven points and grabbed seven rebounds in 10 minutes in the national semifinal loss to Villanova.

Kansas released a statement later Tuesday: "Earlier today, we learned that the University of Kansas is named as a victim in a federal indictment. The indictment does not suggest any wrongdoing by the university, its coaches or its staff. We will cooperate fully with investigators in this matter. Because this is an active investigation, it is not appropriate for us to comment further at this time."

The indictment also alleges that Gatto and others conspired in 2015 to funnel approximately $40,000 from Adidas to the father of a player who was "widely considered the top high school recruit in the state of North Carolina and who had played for an [Adidas-sponsored] AAU team" to ensure that he signed with the Wolfpack and signed an apparel deal with Adidas once he turned pro.

The unidentified player committed to NC State in September 2015, but wasn't happy with his decision and was considering decommitting about a month later, according to the indictment. Gatto and the unidentified Adidas consultant agreed to make a $40,000 payment to an unnamed NC State coach, who would then deliver it to the player's parent, the indictment alleges. The payment was concealed from NC State officials and the NCAA, according to prosecutors.

The indictment says the player enrolled at NC State for the 2016-17 season and entered the NBA draft in June 2017.

NC State released a statement on Tuesday, saying that in September 2017 the school's compliance staff "contacted former basketball coaches asking whether they had any knowledge of or involvement in any activity related to the allegations coming from the U.S. Attorney's Office. Former staff questioned stated they had neither any knowledge nor involvement."

Mark Gottfried was the coach at NC State at the time the payment was alleged to have occurred. He was fired after the 2016-17 season and has since been named coach at Cal State Northridge.

The university's statement concluded, "NC State will continue to fully cooperate with the U.S. Attorney's Office and keep the NCAA updated throughout this investigation."

Dennis Smith Jr., who sources told ESPN is the unidentified player, committed to NC State in September of 2015. He left Raleigh after his freshman season and is currently a rookie guard for the Dallas Mavericks.

The superseding indictment released on Tuesday also includes details of schemes to funnel $100,000 to Bowen's father and $150,000 to the family of an unidentified high school player being recruited by Miami. Those allegations were included in the original indictment against Gatto, Code and Dawkins.

lawrenceRaider 04-11-2018 07:20 AM

KU held Preston out when every other major university with a player on the list that came out earlier like Bagley and Ayton allowed their kids to play.

Mr. Plow 04-11-2018 07:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 13511851)
KU held Preston out when every other major university with a player on the list that came out earlier like Bagley and Ayton allowed their kids to play.

The big one is De Sousa if they deem him ineligible going forward. I was really looking forward to watching him progress.

lawrenceRaider 04-11-2018 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 13511865)
The big one is De Sousa if they deem him ineligible going forward. I was really looking forward to watching him progress.

That would seriously suck. Though if this were only between the guardian and Adidas, SDS should be fine. If the NCAA does anything, there will be a hell of a lot of players declared ineligible at every level of college basketball. I mean, Wichita State's Van Vleet got money according to the list that came out earlier. If a player with his low ranking (on coming out) got cash, then it's pretty wide spread.

Mr. Plow 04-11-2018 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 13511872)
That would seriously suck. Though if this were only between the guardian and Adidas, SDS should be fine. If the NCAA does anything, there will be a hell of a lot of players declared ineligible at every level of college basketball. I mean, Wichita State's Van Vleet got money according to the list that came out earlier. If a player with his low ranking (on coming out) got cash, then it's pretty wide spread.

The wording of the indictment indicates KU is a "victim" of a shoe company & the parents/guardians; so I'm not sure what actual blow back would hit KU at this point. It's entirely possible that the NCAA could vacate any games De Sousa played in & take away the Final Four banner I suppose.

But, I agree - if the NCAA is going to go hard at KU, a lot a schools should be worried.

BigRedChief 04-11-2018 07:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 13511865)

So did they know something about this and thats why they kept Preston off the court? Instead of that fender bender?

See if I got this right.......

DeSouza's guardian in Florida took $20K from a shoe company. The he wanted to go to Kansas, they wanted the money back? Did DeSouza know?

It says the university or coaches didn't know. So does that mean they are off the hook for any possible penalties?

Hangin'WithMahomes 04-11-2018 08:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13511883)
It says the university or coaches didn't know. So does that mean they are off the hook for any possible penalties?

ONLY a guess, but my assumption would be vacating the FF and any games he played in as Mr. Plow suggested. I can't see how anything more (though that would suck) would be warranted.

Mr. Plow 04-11-2018 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13511883)
So did they know something about this and thats why they kept Preston off the court? Instead of that fender bender?

See if I got this right.......

DeSouza's guardian in Florida took $20K from a shoe company. The he wanted to go to Kansas, they wanted the money back? Did DeSouza know?

That was never about a fender bender. There's a reason he didn't play & eventually left the school.

The idea is that Under Armour paid the guardian of De Sousa to secure his commitment. De Sousa really wanted to go to KU so the guardian secured funds from Adidas to pay back Under Armour. Whether De Sousa knew I couldn't tell you. But the way they are referencing KU as a victim tells me that they believe neither KU nor the NCAA had any knowledge of it.

Mr. Kotter 04-11-2018 08:27 AM

Romeo, Romeo wherefore art thou...?

Mr. Plow 04-11-2018 08:35 AM

Wasn't Cam Newton in a similar situation. Parents or guardians took money, but neither Newton or the school knew anything about it so he was ruled eligible?

Lzen 04-11-2018 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13504323)
There is absolutely no way Dotson is going to be ANYWHERE close to as good as the PG play we had the last few years between Mason and Graham.

This is an incredibly ignorant statement. You have no way of knowing that. Dotson may be just as good or better. We don't know yet.

sedated 04-11-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 13511944)
Wasn't Cam Newton in a similar situation. Parents or guardians took money, but neither Newton or the school knew anything about it so he was ruled eligible?

That's the closest case I can think of, but I don't think there was evidence Newton's family got any money, just that they asked for it (from Miss St., I believe)

sedated 04-11-2018 12:03 PM

According to the Deadspin article, the 2 players were "most probably Marcus Garrett and Silvio De Sousa".

Not sure where they got Garrett from, and not sure why he would be getting paid, he was around a top 50ish recruit.

BryanBusby 04-11-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 13511944)

They were never able to prove Cecil Newton accepted any compensation. I don't think the same result is going to happen this time around.

The FBI is a lot more involved here. KU isn't getting the death penalty, but they will probably have to vacate any result involving those ineligible players.

BigRedChief 04-11-2018 12:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 13512264)
They were never able to prove Cecil Newton accepted any compensation. I don't think the same result is going to happen this time around.

The FBI is a lot more involved here. KU isn't getting the death penalty, but they will probably have to vacate any result involving those ineligible players.

if so, then the streak was over last year.

Mr. Plow 04-11-2018 12:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13512307)
if so, then the streak was over last year.

It would still list KU, but with an *

BWillie 04-11-2018 02:53 PM

Quote:

An interesting distinction is also that when Silvio committed to KU he was 18. Which is usually outside the time of guardianship.

saphojunkie 04-11-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 13511915)
That was never about a fender bender. There's a reason he didn't play & eventually left the school.

The idea is that Under Armour paid the guardian of De Sousa to secure his commitment. De Sousa really wanted to go to KU so the guardian secured funds from Adidas to pay back Under Armour. Whether De Sousa knew I couldn't tell you. But the way they are referencing KU as a victim tells me that they believe neither KU nor the NCAA had any knowledge of it.

Don't think that's in there.

SAUTO 04-11-2018 05:07 PM

What happened to billay thread?

Buehler445 04-11-2018 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13512741)
What happened to billay thread?

Romper

big nasty kcnut 04-11-2018 06:53 PM

Silvio a good kid i don't think he did it!

saphojunkie 04-11-2018 07:05 PM

Basically, Maryland tried to pay to have Silvio go there. He still went to KU. Also, it’s a guardian, not a parent. So... WTF

BigRedChief 04-11-2018 07:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 13512325)
It would still list KU, but with an *

CBS Sports article on the FBI ending KU’s run.

For Pete's Sake

https://www.cbssports.com/college-ba...2-85FEBA9EF971

KC_Connection 04-11-2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

I wouldn’t get your hopes up on that one.

Mr. Plow 04-11-2018 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 13513147)
I wouldn’t get your hopes up on that one.

What are you trying to say here?

KC_Connection 04-11-2018 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Plow (Post 13513191)
What are you trying to say here?

That it's a pipedream to think the NCAA is going to start vacating the results of every major college basketball program that had players break NCAA rules like this. If they did, they'd have to start erasing the record books going back 40+ years in this sport for all of these programs (and pretty soon it won't just be the Adidas programs, it will be the Nike and Under Armour schools caught in their own probes as well).

Now if they could connect some kind of illicit activity to the KU coaching staff (and I have no doubt they will try), that would be a different story. I would suggest that the MU fans wait for a real smoking gun here.