ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Computers WTF, Amazon?!?! (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=335534)

htismaqe 12-08-2020 11:08 PM

WTF, Amazon?!?!

So I logged into my Amazon account this evening to order some razor blades and noticed that in my product browsing history is the Ravens/Cowboys game.

Why is that odd?

Because I didn't watch it on Amazon Prime. I didn't watch it via any streaming service. I didn't watch it on a smart TV, I didn't even watch it on a connected device.

I watched it OTA on a regular TV. I know those stupid smart home devices can hear you when you say their name and I'm sure they listen to my conversations on occasion but are they listening to what I'm ****ing watching on TV?

lcarus 12-08-2020 11:10 PM

It wouldn't surprise me. These devices these days...

Halfcan 12-08-2020 11:16 PM

People willfully let a greedy corporation listen to all their private business. SIRI says hello.

htismaqe 12-08-2020 11:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 15383982)
People willfully let a greedy corporation listen to all their private business. SIRI says hello.

I have Siri turned off so not too concerned about her.

My wife has an Amazon Echo Show in the kitchen and I know it listens to our voices but voice recognition technology is significantly different than listening to and identifying a television broadcast.

I'm pretty familiar with how data proliferation works - I know how Facebook does it and for the most part, how Amazon, Google, and Apple do it.

This one has me mystified though.

EPodolak 12-08-2020 11:20 PM

Could it be you browsed NFL or an NFL game before, that's the "history"?

TribalElder 12-08-2020 11:21 PM

Could be pattern matched audio from the echo

htismaqe 12-08-2020 11:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EPodolak (Post 15383989)
Could it be you browsed NFL or an NFL game before, that's the "history"?

Other than Chiefsplanet, I hadn't browsed any other sports-related sites.

Furthermore, I browse the internet, including CP, in a sandbox. There's no way for the CP window to share data with an Amazon session, even if I had an Amazon session open (I didn't).

threebag 12-08-2020 11:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15383974)
So I logged into my Amazon account this evening to order some razor blades and noticed that in my product browsing history is the Ravens/Cowboys game.

Why is that odd?

Because I didn't watch it on Amazon Prime. I didn't watch it via any streaming service. I didn't watch it on a smart TV, I didn't even watch it on a connected device.

I watched it OTA on a regular TV. I know those stupid smart home devices can hear you when you say their name and I'm sure they listen to my conversations on occasion but are they listening to what I'm ****ing watching on TV?

Happens all the damn time.

htismaqe 12-08-2020 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 15383993)
Could be pattern matched audio from the echo

That's what I'm thinking. Which is ****ing annoying for sure.

I know they're going to listen to me (my voice), that's one thing.

BigRedChief 12-08-2020 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15383974)

Why is that odd?

my son watched something. Not on my ID on YouTube, I get shit like that on my feed. I watch something on TV, I get similar shit for my Facebook ads. I’ve never asked for or searched for crochet shit. Get spam in my email.

It’s algorithm’s gone psycho

htismaqe 12-08-2020 11:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 15383995)
Happens all the damn time.

So you've experienced this more than once, huh?

EPodolak 12-08-2020 11:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15383994)
Other than Chiefsplanet, I hadn't browsed any other sports-related sites.

Furthermore, I browse the internet, including CP, in a sandbox. There's no way for the CP window to share data with an Amazon session, even if I had an Amazon session open (I didn't).

I meant have you shopped on Amazon for anything related to the NFL.

htismaqe 12-08-2020 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 15384000)
my son watched something. Not on my ID on YouTube, I get shit like that on my feed. I watch something on TV, I get similar shit on Facebook. I’ve never asked for or searched for crochet shit. Get spam in my email.

It’s algorithm’s gone psycho

The Youtube app on a single device stores data globally, so it will push things to your feed under your login even if someone else watches things on their login.

If you're granting the FB app access to your microphone and camera, then theoretically it could listen to your TV although that would be undisclosed functionality (not they're above that, of course).

Email spam is almost always just random.

htismaqe 12-08-2020 11:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EPodolak (Post 15384003)
I meant have you shopped on Amazon for anything related to the NFL.

Nope. Haven't watched anything on Amazon Prime in months and haven't ever bought anything football-related on Amazon, even apparel.

lcarus 12-08-2020 11:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15383999)
That's what I'm thinking. Which is ****ing annoying for sure.

I know they're going to listen to me (my voice), that's one thing.

Then they're gonna know where you hid that hooker's body.