ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Quentin Tarantino’s ‘Star Trek’ Movie Will Be R-Rated; Zeroing in on Writer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=312171)

ModSocks 12-01-2022 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx (Post 16637506)
Dude needs to stay miles the **** away from Trek.

He's the best producer/director to ever take on the project.

mkp785 12-01-2022 04:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush (Post 16636982)
I hope he reconsiders retiring, as long as he can improve upon "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood", which was by far his worst movie IMO. I think this is the interview you mentioned:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/WCx67cnQQf8" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

I thought I was the only one who hated "Once Upon a Time..."

That deserved none of the love it got nor did Pitt deserve the Oscar, though he was very good in the film. QT has put out significantly better movies over the years.

Jackie Brown was 10x the movie that "Once Upon a Time..." was and never got remotely the same attention.

mkp785 12-01-2022 04:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16637088)
I think time will be kind to OUaTiH. It's the first movie in a long time that brought the same assessment energy that The Big Lebowski did, where people go into the movie with expectations and are disappointed, and then when they think back on what the movie actually was instead of what they expected, they appreciate it more and more.

I was disappointed immediately after watching it the first time, but a lot of it stuck with me and when I rewatched it calibrated to what he was actually trying to do it rose exponentially in my assessment. I'd put it in my favorites of his, and I'm a certified fan of ALL his stuff and have been since the jump.

Over time, The H8ful Eight will be his worst movie, because it's basically a stage play in a cinematic setting, just talking and talking and telling stories of stuff that happened elsewhere in a room.

Hateful 8 was great until that disaster of an ending. Don't what was going on there. Everything after Sam Jackson lines them up against the wall was stupid.

ModSocks 12-01-2022 06:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mkp785 (Post 16637860)
I thought I was the only one who hated "Once Upon a Time..."

I feel like i enjoyed it quite a bit more on the 2nd watch. Admittedly teh 1st watch left me feeling a bit disappointed. I found a lot more value in it the 2nd time around.

Kiimo 12-01-2022 06:37 PM

I absolutely loved Once Upon a Time

Easy 6 12-01-2022 07:00 PM

Tarantino does realistic absurdity better than anyone, but my favorites tend to be his straight ahead, no frills crime dramas

Jackie Brown is my personal #1, probably maybe followed by Once Upon a Time but it gets muddy after that... and yeah, those scripts for Natural Born Killers and True Romance were amazeballs

Imdb the casts for those early scripts of his, its a damn who's who's jumping in on Taratinos characters

Gary Oldman
Dennis Hopper
James Gandolfini
Pitt
Arquette
Slater
A 53 man roster of every recognizable character actor ever
-
Woody Harrelson
Juliet Lewis
Tommy Lee Jones
Downey Jr
Rodney Dangerfield
And yet another huge cast slam full of recognizable faces

Both well directed by someone else, they didn't muck up the golden goose... but those movies are all about Tarantinos written characters and story arcs

Jamie 12-01-2022 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx (Post 16637620)
QT makes a specific kind of film and I just don't see how the tone of his films can ever possibly work in Trek.

It will, more than likely, turn into some overly bloody and ultra violent romp through space and I just couldn't possibly care less for it. Use a franchise that lends itself to that type of writing... like Alien or Predator.

I just don't want him to teabag Trek... and that is exactly what I expect he would do.

---

I would love to be wrong though because I love Trek and if he were to make a worthy entry into the cannon I wouldn't hold it against him.

I had the same kneejerk reaction, but I came around. Because it would work as long as they stayed true to the characters. Don't make the crew into Tarantino characters, drop them into a Tarantino movie (via time travel or other sci-fi means) and let them be fish out of water playing against that. There have been a ton of Trek episodes that did versions of that, not to mention Star Trek IV.

mkp785 12-02-2022 03:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 16638023)
Tarantino does realistic absurdity better than anyone, but my favorites tend to be his straight ahead, no frills crime dramas

Jackie Brown is my personal #1, probably maybe followed by Once Upon a Time but it gets muddy after that... and yeah, those scripts for Natural Born Killers and True Romance were amazeballs

Imdb the casts for those early scripts of his, its a damn who's who's jumping in on Taratinos characters

Gary Oldman
Dennis Hopper
James Gandolfini
Pitt
Arquette
Slater
A 53 man roster of every recognizable character actor ever
-
Woody Harrelson
Juliet Lewis
Tommy Lee Jones
Downey Jr
Rodney Dangerfield
And yet another huge cast slam full of recognizable faces

Both well directed by someone else, they didn't muck up the golden goose... but those movies are all about Tarantinos written characters and story arcs

Once again....I thought I was the only one who felt this way.

Jackie Brown was his most complete story that he told that could actually take place with people you can picture walking around. Like normal folk. Its his most grounded film. Pam Grier should've gotten an Oscar for that one. Robert Forester was really good as was Micheal Keaton.

His best movie imo.

lawrenceRaider 12-02-2022 08:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 16637088)
I think time will be kind to OUaTiH. It's the first movie in a long time that brought the same assessment energy that The Big Lebowski did, where people go into the movie with expectations and are disappointed, and then when they think back on what the movie actually was instead of what they expected, they appreciate it more and more.

I was disappointed immediately after watching it the first time, but a lot of it stuck with me and when I rewatched it calibrated to what he was actually trying to do it rose exponentially in my assessment. I'd put it in my favorites of his, and I'm a certified fan of ALL his stuff and have been since the jump.

Over time, The H8ful Eight will be his worst movie, because it's basically a stage play in a cinematic setting, just talking and talking and telling stories of stuff that happened elsewhere in a room.

I went into Once with no expectations and really enjoyed it.

Still haven't been able to watch all of Hateful 8.