ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Oops! Why Tyrod Taylor didn’t play (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=333774)

frozenchief 09-23-2020 09:47 AM

Oops! Why Tyrod Taylor didn’t play

This is embarrassing. Wonder if LAC gets a new doctor.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Chargers’ team doctor accidentally punctured his own quarterback Tyrod Taylor’s lung just before kickoff Sunday while trying to administer a pain-killing injection to the quarterback’s cracked ribs, league and team sources told ESPN.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1308793001213394944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 23, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dlphg9 09-23-2020 09:48 AM

Thats so ****ed up lol. God damn I'd be furious. That Dr should be fired.

TribalElder 09-23-2020 09:49 AM

Was the DR an Oregon State grad?

seclark 09-23-2020 09:50 AM

pfffffffft
sec

wazu 09-23-2020 09:52 AM

Dr. Chao guessed this earlier in the week. He'd had "rib" on his injury report earlier in the week, which is generally numbed for a few hours during game time. But it sounds like the shot is really hard to do as you have to get it in just the right spot to be effective, and that spot is so close to lining of the lung. It sounds like this is considered a known risk and players are informed beforehand.

Skyy God 09-23-2020 09:53 AM

It's not a coincidence that the Chargers have a long and storied history of player injuries.

Chao's replacement must be a drunk as well.

https://deadspin.com/the-medical-boa...mer-pa-5835403

WhawhaWhat 09-23-2020 09:53 AM

https://media3.giphy.com/media/5QI8l...uxsI/giphy.gif

DaneMcCloud 09-23-2020 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 15182116)
Nobody is going to convince me Tyrod actually got hurt in warm ups.

Such epic dumbassery

ThaVirus 09-23-2020 09:56 AM

Jeez, are the needles that long or are the lungs just a lot closer to the skin than I'd imagine?

loochy 09-23-2020 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 15187949)
It's not a coincidence the Chargers have a long and storied history of player injuries.

Yeah, maybe it's time for them to send this guy on his way. Err...I mean sign him to a lifetime contract.

pugsnotdrugs19 09-23-2020 09:58 AM

That’s insane.

While we’re on the topic, I’d love to know if I’m the only one who isn’t totally sold on Herbert. I’ve seen at least 2-3 talking heads say “the Chargers have their QB for the next 10-15 years!!!”

Based on what? One mediocre game where the opposition didn’t game plan for him whatsoever? There are arguments to be made as to whether or not it helped or hurt Herbert himself, not knowing that he was going to play. Regardless, it was one game. Just a decent outing where he leaned on a running game and threw an interception that probably cost them the game when you look back. He wasn’t very accurate to me, and the film will start to accumulate on his strengths and weaknesses as we go.

I’d bet about anything I’ve got that the dude will never make a pro bowl, and I don’t mean as an alternate necessarily. Just straight up top 3 in his conference.

loochy 09-23-2020 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 15187954)
Jeez, are the needles that long or are the lungs just a lot closer to the skin than I'd imagine?

I'd guess a normal 1.5 incher (standard size for glute injections) would be able to puncture

Skyy God 09-23-2020 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 15187954)

Yes.

Rain Man 09-23-2020 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 15187949)
It's not a coincidence that the Chargers have a long and storied history of player injuries.

Wow. I guess this explains the Chargers' long injury history. Chao is probably prescribing hits to the side of the knee.

RINGLEADER 09-23-2020 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 15187958)
That’s insane.

While we’re on the topic, I’d love to know if I’m the only one who isn’t totally sold on Herbert. I’ve seen at least 2-3 talking heads say “the Chargers have their QB for the next 10-15 years!!!”

Based on what? One mediocre game where the opposition didn’t game plan for him whatsoever? There are arguments to be made as to whether or not it helped or hurt Herbert himself, not knowing that he was going to play. Regardless, it was one game. Just a decent outing where he leaned on a running game and threw an interception that probably cost them the game when you look back. He wasn’t very accurate to me, and the film will start to accumulate on his strengths and weaknesses as we go.

I’d bet about anything I’ve got that the dude will never make a pro bowl, and I don’t mean as an alternate necessarily. Just straight up top 3 in his conference.

He made a couple super sweet throws (the TD pass and long shot to Keenan Allen) but otherwise was a lot of dink and dunk and more than a few mistakes even knowing how to handoff the ball. Also, he ultimately lost the game.

Even Tim Tebow had a couple good throws in his playoff run but that didn’t make him a great (or even a good) QB. Need to see more.

FloridaMan88 09-23-2020 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by frozenchief (Post 15187940)
This is embarrassing. Wonder if LAC gets a new doctor.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The Chargers’ team doctor accidentally punctured his own quarterback Tyrod Taylor’s lung just before kickoff Sunday while trying to administer a pain-killing injection to the quarterback’s cracked ribs, league and team sources told ESPN.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1308793001213394944?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">September 23, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Apparently this is a small but defined risk with this type of injection.

Discuss Thrower 09-23-2020 10:10 AM

Any Given Sunday II: Electric Boogaloo

sedated 09-23-2020 10:11 AM

Chargers: Come sign with us, we'll destroy your body and ruin your career!

BigBeauford 09-23-2020 10:18 AM

Holy crap he probably gave him a tension pneumothorax.

ModSocks 09-23-2020 10:19 AM

Quote:

That’s insane.

You're looking for reasons to be pessimistic because they're a division rival.

He played within the confines of his offense, so the "Dink and dunk" argument is moot.

He was very accurate actually.

He displayed good arm strength, excellent athleticism and he was poised through the entire game aside from one boneheaded play that did in fact look open for a second there.

He displayed all of the qualities you could reasonably expect to see from a 1st time starter that had no game preparation. He displayed that all of the tools are in fact there, and with experience and refinement at the very least he should be a good starter.

And lets not act like we weren't here proclaiming Pat's greatness after his no-TD performance against the Broncos. That's quit the double standard.

htismaqe 09-23-2020 10:20 AM

Quote:

That’s insane.

I'm certainly not sold.

DaneMcCloud 09-23-2020 10:20 AM

The Chargers and Jets have the worst ownership in the NFL but as sad as the Jets have been since 1969, at least they haven't punctured the lungs of their starting QB.

htismaqe 09-23-2020 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15187995)

He played within the confines of his offense, so the "Dink and dunk" argument is moot.

He displayed good arm strength, excellent athleticism and he was poised through the entire game aside from one boneheaded play that did in fact look open for a second there.

He displayed all of the qualities you could reasonably expect to see from a 1st time starter that had no game preparation. He displayed that all of the tools are in fact there, and with experience and refinement at the very least he should be a good starter.

And lets not act like we weren't here proclaiming Pat's greatness after his no-TD performance against the Broncos. That's quit the double standard.

You're seeing something that just wasn't there. It's like anybody under the age of 25 with good measurable and a live arm is going to be great or something.

staylor26 09-23-2020 10:22 AM

Herbert looked good for a rookie making his first start, but I’ll leave it at that.

How many young QB’s have to look good early in their careers then regress before we learn to be patient and let things play out?

ModSocks 09-23-2020 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15188000)
I'm certainly not sold.

Sold on what though?

That he's a sure fire stud? Of course not.

That he displayed a lot of positive qualities that you'd want to see in a young QB, and that his future LOOKS promising? I can't see how anyone could disagree.

htismaqe 09-23-2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15188003)
Herbert looked good for a rookie making his first start, but I’ll leave it at that.

How many young QB’s have to look good early in their careers then regress before we learn to be patient and let things play out?

Some of them play good for almost an entire season and then crash and burn.

htismaqe 09-23-2020 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15188004)
Sold on what though?

That he's a sure fire stud? Of course not.

That he displayed a lot of positive qualities that you'd want to see in a young QB, and that his future LOOKS promising? I can't see how anyone could disagree.

How could you possibly know anything about the future after one ****ing game? A game which he pretty much lost by throwing an ill-advised pass over the middle, across his body?

DaneMcCloud 09-23-2020 10:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15188000)
I'm certainly not sold.

I'm not "sold" but I was very impressed with his poise.

I knew that he had better than "Ideal Size" and that his arm strength was above average but the most impressive aspect to me on Sunday was that he didn't wilt under pressure and either take off running or throw the stupid INT.

I think he has all of the physical characteristics for becoming a solid NFL starter but it'll all come down to how fast he can process what he sees on the field to creating net-positive plays.

ROYC75 09-23-2020 10:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 15187945)
Was the DR an Oregon State grad?

No, but he did stay at a Holiday Inn Express and performed the procedure on a hoverboard.

ModSocks 09-23-2020 10:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15188002)
You're seeing something that just wasn't there. It's like anybody under the age of 25 with good measurable and a live arm is going to be great or something.

There's no guarantee that he'll be great of course, but what is there to really complain about with his first game?

The ball came out crisp, he was accurate, he didn't flinch in the pocket, he was poised, he displayed excellent athleticism...

People were down on this kid coming out, and they were wrong. And if you're down on him now, you're still wrong.

htismaqe 09-23-2020 10:29 AM

We've seen literally every young QB in the league make throws like Herbert made on Sunday. Have you ever watched a Sam Darnold highlight reel? He makes some absolutely Mahomes-esque throws at times. But then he flat out sucks at times too.

The simple fact is that it's one game. He wasn't horrible, he wasn't great.

Statistically, most of these young QB's are going to hover somewhere between league average and outright failure. The success rate for true franchise QB's is just low.

BigRedChief 09-23-2020 10:29 AM

Thats a serious life threatening mistake.

Most of the ones I've been involved with were in the ER or ICU where the patient is looking a death if we don't do that procedure soon. If we have time we got to the X-Ray to make sure in the placement of the needle.

CervezaChill 09-23-2020 10:29 AM

Herbert looked good last week, but with the patchwork defense the Chiefs trotted out to the field, that's not particularly hard to achieve for a top 10 drafted QB. Needless to say the jury is well and truly still out.

ModSocks 09-23-2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15188008)
How could you possibly know anything about the future after one ****ing game? A game which he pretty much lost by throwing an ill-advised pass over the middle, across his body?

I said it looks promising.

What are your complaints? Aside from one boneheaded pass, that after seeing from a different view, you at least SEE what he was thinking.

Aside from that, what's your complaint? Because i gave you a list of things he did well, now tell me what he did that was so bad?

staylor26 09-23-2020 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15188006)
Some of them play good for almost an entire season and then crash and burn.

Yup.

People continually do this with young QB’s. It happens every year. Just like Baker, I thought Herbert was going to be a bust based on tape, and I still do. When Baker had his “great” rookie season and 75% of CP was sucking his dick, I tried to tell them and they chalked it up to me being a hater.

He looked good for a rookie making his first start, but it doesn’t change that for me.

htismaqe 09-23-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15188016)
There's no guarantee that he'll be great of course, but what is there to really complain about with his first game?

The ball came out crisp, he was accurate, he didn't flinch in the pocket, he was poised, he displayed excellent athleticism...

People were down on this kid coming out, and they were wrong. And if you're down on him now, you're still wrong.

He wasn't that accurate. At time he was but at times he also missed a couple of really easy throws.

And again, he was poised until he basically threw the game away on a throw that every QB is told from the time they can walk not to make.

I'm down on EVERY QB coming out. Why? Because 3/4 of them never pan out. That's just the way it is. I'm not going to crown any of them until they've proven something.

ModSocks 09-23-2020 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15188018)
We've seen literally every young QB in the league make throws like Herbert made on Sunday. Have you ever watched a Sam Darnold highlight reel? He makes some absolutely Mahomes-esque throws at times. But then he flat out sucks at times too.

The simple fact is that it's one game. He wasn't horrible, he wasn't great.

Statistically, most of these young QB's are going to hover somewhere between league average and outright failure. The success rate for true franchise QB's is just low.

What more could you have expected from a 1st start, is what i'm asking?

What did he NOT display?

No one's crowning his ass.

We're saying after his first game, the arrow is pointed up. That could change of course, but there's really nothing to complain about from his first start.

htismaqe 09-23-2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15188024)
I said it looks promising.

What are your complaints? Aside from one boneheaded pass, that after seeing from a different view, you at least SEE what he was thinking.

Aside from that, what's your complaint? Because i gave you a list of things he did well, now tell me what he did that was so bad?

It's not about my complaints.

You said he looks promising. I don't agree. I thought he looked like a typical rookie QB that the other team hadn't prepared for. Nothing more, nothing less.

ModSocks 09-23-2020 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15188029)
He wasn't that accurate. At time he was but at times he also missed a couple of really easy throws.

And again, he was poised until he basically threw the game away on a throw that every QB is told from the time they can walk not to make.

I'm down on EVERY QB coming out. Why? Because 3/4 of them never pan out. That's just the way it is. I'm not going to crown any of them until they've proven something.

So 1 play, basically. And a bunch of history that has nothing to do with him personally.

Just basing it off his 1 game though, the arrow is pointed up until he proves otherwise. There was a lot to like there.

You haven't presented an argument yet that proves otherwise.

ModSocks 09-23-2020 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15188032)

You said he looks promising. I don't agree. I thought he looked like a typical rookie QB that the other team hadn't prepared for. Nothing more, nothing less.

Then i don't think you're giving an honest evaluation.

Give me reasons why he didn't have a strong showing.

htismaqe 09-23-2020 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15188030)
What more could you have expected from a 1st start, is what i'm asking?

What did he NOT display?

No one's crowning his ass.

We're saying after his first game, the arrow is pointed up. That could change of course, but there's really nothing to complain about from his first start.

There's a lot of talking heads out there stopping just short of "crowning his ass". There's a couple here too, even if it's not you.

Everybody gets all horny over young QB's when they make 2 or 3 good throws early in their career.

And then it just never materializes beyond that. It's just simple math.

ChiefBlueCFC 09-23-2020 10:35 AM

The Chargers medical staff is a bigger threat to the Chargers' players and it's probably why they're all hurt all the time

htismaqe 09-23-2020 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15188034)
Then i don't think you're giving an honest evaluation.

And you're entitled to believe that. Just like I'm entitled to dismiss it.

ModSocks 09-23-2020 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15188025)
Just like Baker, I thought Herbert was going to be a bust based on tape, and I still do.

This is what it boils down to, really. Same thing with Deshaun Watson and Lamar Jackson. People just want to be right about their college evaluations.

staylor26 09-23-2020 10:37 AM

Herbert’s college tape is FULL of reasons to be skeptical.

Maybe that’s why some people aren’t going to overreact to one game?

staylor26 09-23-2020 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15188042)
This is what it boils down to, really. Same thing with Deshaun Watson and Lamar Jackson. People just want to be right about their college evaluations.

Lol no.

It’s not about being right about my evaluation. It’s about trusting it over one game.

I was right in the end about Baker, so what does that say?

ModSocks 09-23-2020 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15188035)

And then it just never materializes beyond that. It's just simple math.

Recent history suggests otherwise.

Josh Allen
Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson
Lamar Jackson
Carson Wentz
Kyler Murray

Joe Burrow looks pretty good through two games.

And to be fair to Mayfield and Darnold, those guys play for franchises that are historical trainwrecks.

ROYC75 09-23-2020 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15188008)

This.

One game is just .... one game. It takes time to qualify as the face of the franchise.

But I will add that he very possibly gives them more upside that Taylor does, but again, it's just 1 game.

Many people and pundits were claiming the same about Mahomes after 1 game, but he had to do it game after game to prove he was the real deal. Once he became so automatic, it made the the people that claimed he was so awesome feel awesome.

We all felt Pat was going to be special, but it took time to prove it.

pugsnotdrugs19 09-23-2020 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15187995)

Oh FFS. He missed on many throws. Some of the completions, the placement gave his receiver no shot to create YAC.

This isn’t like Mahomes because Herbert did literally nothing eye popping. It was your typical shit — Mahomes made 5+ plays in his debut that dropped your jaw.

The kid might be alright but it’s far from a sure thing.

htismaqe 09-23-2020 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15188042)

For me, I never evaluated Herbert coming out. Didn't get a chance to watch him a lot in college.

Let me put it this way:

With Herbert, as it is with all young QB's I see, I want to actually be impressed before I start saying I was impressed.

The guy played a solid game. He wasn't spectacular and outside of one throw, he wasn't even impressive. He was "good".

And then we have to hear the talking heads saying that his back corner throw to a WIDE OPEN WR was so hard, like Herbert is the only rookie that could make that throw. The hyperbole is just silly. Lots of guys in the NFL can make that throw. Doesn't mean they're going to be successful long term.

And that has a lot to do with how I evaluate Watson and Jackson, especially Jackson.

It gets really old listening to how Jackson is the best QB in the NFL when anybody with eyes can clearly see he isn't.

It's unfortunately just a symptom of the world we live in, especially with the media. One is not really allowed to say anything neutral or ambivalent. Everything has to be highly polarized. A guy is going to be great or he's going to be a bust. Nah, I haven't seen anything from Herbert yet that suggests either of those things is true.

ModSocks 09-23-2020 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 15188048)
Lol no.

It’s not about being right about my evaluation. It’s about trusting it over one game.

I was right in the end about Baker, so what does that say?

Baker's story hasn't finished being written yet, so don't pound your chest too hard. (especially since most predicted he'd fail)

And again, this isn't about crowning someone, but instead evaluating all we can evaluate, which is 1 game.

That 1 game, was a good 1 game for a rookie's 1st start. So what's the problem?

And yes, you and a lot of CP members do in fact latch onto your pre-draft analysis and it follows you through said players career, which is why so many on this forum can't, or took a long time to, give the credit deserved to Watson and Jackson.

ROYC75 09-23-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15188032)

Agreed, well put cuz this is what he was at this point!

staylor26 09-23-2020 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15188058)
Baker's story hasn't finished being written yet, so don't pound your chest too hard. (especially since most predicted he'd fail)

And again, this isn't about crowning someone, but instead evaluating all we can evaluate, which is 1 game.

That 1 game, was a good 1 game for a rookie's 1st start. So what's the problem?

And yes, you and a lot of CP members do in fact latch onto your pre-draft analysis and it follows you through said players career, which is why so many on this forum can't, or took a long time to, give the credit deserved to Watson and Jackson.

I liked Watson and Lamar. I drafted Lamar in the CP Mock.

I know you are just going to brush it off, but I’m rarely wrong about QB’s I trust my evaluation.

Sorry, but I’m not going to say anything beyond “he looked good for a rookie making his first start”, because I’m still as skeptical as I was when I watched the tape.

htismaqe 09-23-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15188050)
Recent history suggests otherwise.

Josh Allen
Patrick Mahomes
Deshaun Watson
Lamar Jackson
Carson Wentz
Kyler Murray

Joe Burrow looks pretty good through two games.

And to be fair to Mayfield and Darnold, those guys play for franchises that are historical trainwrecks.

Josh Allen? The book is still VERY out on him.

Deshaun Watson is great for stats. Loser mentality. Pouts. Holds onto the ball too long. Definitely not a top tier QB.

Carson Wentz can't even stay on the field.

And for now, I'm just not going to address Lamar Jackson.

Out of that list, Patrick Mahomes is on a HoF trajectory and you simply can't argue otherwise. Kyler Murray looks very promising.

The rest of those guys have HUGE question marks of one kind or another (outside of Jackson, who still has question marks of his own).

staylor26 09-23-2020 10:48 AM

And LMAO @ Baker’s story not being written yet.

He sucks and if you can’t see it at this point, I don’t know what to tell you.

Darnold is a guy that’s in an awful situation, but Baker has great weapons, a great running game, and a solid OL. He is who he is at this point.

ModSocks 09-23-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 15188052)
Oh FFS. He missed on many throws. Some of the completions, the placement gave his receiver no shot to create YAC.

This isn’t like Mahomes because Herbert did literally nothing eye popping. It was your typical shit — Mahomes made 5+ plays in his debut that dropped your jaw.

The kid might be alright but it’s far from a sure thing.

Here's every completion, feel free to show me all these plays where he didn't give his guys a shot to create YAC. Go ahead, chart them out for me.

And yeah, he did have some "wow" throws. The throw to the corner of the end zone was an excellent throw that was on the money, open or not. Shitty QB's miss that throw all the time.

And the throw to (Ekeler?) down the sideline was an excellent throw.

The throw to Keenan Allen, over the defenders arm while getting hit, that wasn't a great throw?

GMAFB.

This is just CP hating on any QB not named Mahomes, like always.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4QTpyaEtSwE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ModSocks 09-23-2020 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15188064)
Josh Allen? The book is still VERY out on him.

Deshaun Watson is great for stats. Loser mentality. Pouts. Holds onto the ball too long. Definitely not a top tier QB.

Carson Wentz can't even stay on the field.

And for now, I'm just not going to address Lamar Jackson.

Out of that list, Patrick Mahomes is on a HoF trajectory and you simply can't argue otherwise. Kyler Murray looks very promising.

The rest of those guys have HUGE question marks of one kind or another (outside of Jackson, who still has question marks of his own).

So basically every young QB sucks that's not named Mahomes, got it.

htismaqe 09-23-2020 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15188074)

Absolutely wrong.

htismaqe 09-23-2020 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15188077)
So basically every young QB sucks that's not named Mahomes, got it.

Didn't at all say that. Read it again.

htismaqe 09-23-2020 10:54 AM

This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Zero tolerance at all for reservation or hesitation.

You MUST either hate him or love him. There's no in between.

I'm done arguing about it. I've said all I need to say.

ModSocks 09-23-2020 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15188078)
Absolutely wrong.

Dude, you literally just made a post that basically said that.

You have a problem with every QB not named Mahomes or Wilson.

That says a lot about your evaluations.

You're looking for reasons to dislike QB's, rather than looking at what they do well.

ModSocks 09-23-2020 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15188083)
This is exactly what I'm talking about.

Zero tolerance at all for reservation or hesitation.

You MUST either hate him or love him. There's no in between.

I'm done arguing about it. I've said all I need to say.

Zero tolerance? You just discredited every young, successful QB in the league because they're not a once in every 50 years kind of guy.

Go ahead, give me your top 10 QB's right now.

Red Dawg 09-23-2020 10:58 AM

Well he's fired.

Mecca 09-23-2020 10:59 AM

Darnold still shows promise for the awful spot he's in, I feel bad for that guy. Josh Allen is still the same guy,he shows moments of greatness but he's inconsistent and does wild shit. I think he's gotten better and worked hard to improve but I still don't think he'll ever be consistent enough to be a true elite QB. I do think he could get hot and have Joe Flacco type player run one year though.

htismaqe 09-23-2020 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15188086)
Dude, you literally just made a post that basically said that.

You have a problem with every QB not named Mahomes or Wilson.

That says a lot about your evaluations.

You're looking for reasons to dislike QB's, rather than looking at what they do well.

Except you're confusing question marks with strikes against.

I don't dislike any of them. I don't particularly LIKE any of them either, save for Murray.

I have significant questions about all of those QBs, other than Lamar Jackson, and even he has warts. You simply can't separate the good from the bad and isolate one without considering the other.

Carson Wentz is great example. When he's on the field, he's exceptional. But he can't stay healthy. He's the Dee Ford of QB's and ultimately, THAT MATTERS when evaluating him.

ModSocks 09-23-2020 11:00 AM

What is the standard that you're trying to apply here, Htis?

That they're not generational talents? Well shit, do they have to be in order to be a good QB?

Carson Wentz isn't a good QB because he gets hurt?

Watson isn't a good QB because he takes sacks?

I'm trying to figure out who's a good QB in your mind.

Because it seems like there's maybe 2-3 guys in the league that you'd consider a good QB.

So lets see your list so i can understand.

smithandrew051 09-23-2020 11:01 AM

He looked good on the first drive, but didn’t do much after that.

Against a Chiefs team missing a couple DL and both starting cornerbacks, he only produced a TD (which was aided by a missed false start on 4th and 1) and 2 field goals through the rest of the game and OT.

Even for having several players out, the Chiefs defense didn’t play very well. A lot of missed tackles that extended drives.

Will he be good? Maybe. We definitely don’t have enough information to make a conclusion either way.

I didn’t see any real “wow” moments like Mahomes had in his first start. And yes, I’m comparing him to Mahomes. If Herbert is going to be their QB for a decade, then he’ll be compared to Mahomes every step of the way.

ModSocks 09-23-2020 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15188099)
I don't particularly LIKE any of them either, save for Murray.

See, that's your problem right there and why i say you're not giving a fair evaluation.

If they're not perfect, you don't like them.

Every QB in the league has parts of their game that needs work, even our boy Mahomes who two years later, still struggles against Cover 3 schemes, who is still streaky, and who at times, misses open receivers.

You're looking for reasons to hate.

ModSocks 09-23-2020 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 15188102)
He looked good on the first drive, but didn’t do much after that.

Against a Chiefs team missing a couple DL and both starting cornerbacks, he only produced a TD (which was aided by a missed false start on 4th and 1) and 2 field goals through the rest of the game and OT.

Even for having several players out, the Chiefs defense didn’t play very well. A lot of missed tackles that extended drives.

Will he be good? Maybe. We definitely don’t have enough information to make a conclusion either way.

I didn’t see any real “wow” moments like Mahomes had in his first start. And yes, I’m comparing him to Mahomes. If Herbert is going to be their QB for a decade, then he’ll be compared to Mahomes every step of the way.

He had two TD's, one rushing and one throwing.

htismaqe 09-23-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15188091)
Zero tolerance? You just discredited every young, successful QB in the league because they're not a once in every 50 years kind of guy.

I most certainly did not. Just stop.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15188091)
Go ahead, give me your top 10 QB's right now.

Russell Wilson
Patrick Mahomes
Aaron Rodgers
Lamar Jackson

drop-off

Kyler Murray
Cam Newton
Josh Allen
Gardner Minshew

drop-off

Dak Prescott
Derek Carr

I really hate those young QB's don't I?

ModSocks 09-23-2020 11:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15188098)
Darnold still shows promise for the awful spot he's in, I feel bad for that guy. Josh Allen is still the same guy,he shows moments of greatness but he's inconsistent and does wild shit. I think he's gotten better and worked hard to improve but I still don't think he'll ever be consistent enough to be a true elite QB. I do think he could get hot and have Joe Flacco type player run one year though.

See, i'm not talking about "Elite".

There's maybe 2-3 guys in the league on any given year that one can consider "Elite".

That's the benchmark? Elite?

Because that's unreasonable.

htismaqe 09-23-2020 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15188104)
See, that's your problem right there and why i say you're not giving a fair evaluation.

If they're not perfect, you don't like them.

Every QB in the league has parts of their game that needs work, even our boy Mahomes who two years later, still struggles against Cover 3 schemes, who is still streaky, and who at times, misses open receivers.

You're looking for reasons to hate.

Nope, I don't hate any of them.

You're wrong again.

smithandrew051 09-23-2020 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15188105)
He had two TD's, one rushing and one throwing.

I said “rest of the game” meaning after the first drive.

Mecca 09-23-2020 11:07 AM

Allen and Herbert were not guys I liked in the draft either, Herbert because his tape is full of just him playing like complete garbage. Allen because he's inconsistent and wild at times.

htismaqe 09-23-2020 11:08 AM

At any rate, I'm done with this argument. Detoxing is obviously passionate about this. I'm not.

I don't actually ****ing care.

Herbert looked just fine in his debut. He wasn't impressive by any meaning of the word.

We'll see where it goes from here.

pugsnotdrugs19 09-23-2020 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15188074)
Here's every completion, feel free to show me all these plays where he didn't give his guys a shot to create YAC. Go ahead, chart them out for me.

And yeah, he did have some "wow" throws. The throw to the corner of the end zone was an excellent throw that was on the money, open or not. Shitty QB's miss that throw all the time.

And the throw to (Ekeler?) down the sideline was an excellent throw.

The throw to Keenan Allen, over the defenders arm while getting hit, that wasn't a great throw?

GMAFB.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/4QTpyaEtSwE" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

The Ekeler play, really? That should’ve been picked off if Thornhill just turns around. LMAO

The TD pass is solid but he’s just throwing to a spot. Fenton has no chance if he just hit the general back corner, and he did. Good, but the receiver was wide open.

I’ll give you the throw to Allen over the middle. Best one.

He misplaced the ball to Allen on the sideline where Sneed seems to have slipped up, otherwise he might pick that ball.

Everything else is pretty much checkdowns, screens, quick game where the receivers tack on extra yardage due to poor tackling. And this is just his completion reel.

I stand by my OP. There is no way based off of that one game to say that he’s the answer for them already for 10-15 years.

suzzer99 09-23-2020 11:10 AM

Hebert looked good. But that doesn't seem uncommon with young QBs when the team has had zero preparation or film on them (Lock, Minshew). Have to see how he looks after teams have some film and figure out what slows him down.

On the one hand you wonder what Lynn is thinking insisting that Tyrod still play. But on the other hand, sitting a year does seem to really help.

ModSocks 09-23-2020 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15188113)
I most certainly did not. Just stop.

Russell Wilson
Patrick Mahomes
Aaron Rodgers
Lamar Jackson

drop-off

Kyler Murray
Cam Newton
Josh Allen
Gardner Minshew

drop-off

Dak Prescott
Derek Carr

I really hate those young QB's don't I?

Aaron Rodgers, Russel Wilson and Cam Newton aren't young.

And you'll give credit to Derek Carr and Gardner Minshew as top 10 QB's but yet you can't see Deshaun Watson or Carson Wentz's ability?

You'll put Josh Allen as your 7th best QB but then say the jury is still out on him? C'mon man.

That's what im talking about, what's the standard here for Herbert? Is Josh Allen the standard? Your 7th best QB?

Is Derek Carr the standard? Because Herbert displayed more physical ability than Carr ever has, in 1 game alone.

If Herbert ends up, by the end of the year, being in the 15-10 range, then he was a success.

No one expects him to be Mahomes/Wilson/Rodgers, nor do the Chargers need him to be.

Eureka 09-23-2020 11:12 AM

I think the big thing about the Chargers is Herbert played well enough to continue playing.

Give Herbert some first team reps and see what the kid can do next week. The other option is to give Taylor another chance and see if he can put a winning streak together as he seems taylor made for that team or at least fits what they are trying to do. Maybe, the Chargers win last week if Taylor was in there.

Deberg_1990 09-23-2020 11:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15188098)

Darnold will probably end up like Alex Smith. Where he gets better 5-10 years down the road with a stable organization and head coach.