ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Jerry Jones wonders why Julian Edelman’s muffed punt was overturned (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320854)

Rain Man 01-23-2019 05:47 PM

The fumble in the end zone rule is addressing a very real problem that could exist without the rule. If I'm running down field and I know that I'm going to be caught on the 20, I just wind up a softball pitch forward. As long as I can fling the ball outside the end zone, I've got a first down on the one.

I don't like the touchback rule, but you have to do something to stop intentional fumbles forward. It seems extreme to give up the ball, especially when you're in the red zone to start with. Maybe you give the fumbling team the ball at the 50 or at their own 20 or something.

IowaHawkeyeChief 01-23-2019 05:48 PM

There was a lot more evidence to overturn the Hogan reception than the punt muff... However, they let the Hogan play stand. It was a horrible call that was nullified by the pick, but still a horrible, unexplainable reversal.

Rain Man 01-23-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Renegade (Post 14067947)
I also hate the rule on a kickoff if the receiving team is standing out of bounds, and the ball touches the out of bounds player(or even if the player touches the ball), the ball is out of bounds, therefore ball is placed on the 40.

I believe this happened to us this year.

Yeah, I don't like that one, either. It seems like it should only count if the ball is untouched and goes out. If the ball is touched, it's placed where the ball went out of bounds. What's the downside of that? How could someone cheat it?

carcosa 01-23-2019 05:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 14067861)
That rule is asinine to me...even more so than a fumble into the endzone being a touchback.

It's a bad rule!

IowaHawkeyeChief 01-23-2019 05:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 14068027)
The fumble in the end zone rule is addressing a very real problem that could exist without the rule. If I'm running down field and I know that I'm going to be caught on the 20, I just wind up a softball pitch forward. As long as I can fling the ball outside the end zone, I've got a first down on the one.

I don't like the touchback rule, but you have to do something to stop intentional fumbles forward. It seems extreme to give up the ball, especially when you're in the red zone to start with. Maybe you give the fumbling team the ball at the 50 or at their own 20 or something.

It's a turnover in the endzone, just like an interception. An offensive player should be penalized for fumbling or throwing a pick into the endzone. It's one of the biggest mistakes an offensive player can make and the result should be punative.

BlackOp 01-23-2019 05:52 PM

Does anyone truly believe if that same exact play happened only it was the Chiefs...the refs overt-turn it?

Or the Hogan catch stands?

Or a neutral zone infraction with :50 seconds left?

Warrick 01-23-2019 05:56 PM

Because Chiefs!

Reerun_KC 01-23-2019 05:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 14068041)
Does anyone truly believe if that same exact play happened only it was the Chiefs...the refs overt-turn it?

No chance in hell

Sorry 01-23-2019 06:03 PM

Every single angle showed it didn’t touch him jfc wrong hill to die on.

Hogan was a catch. Literally more of a catch than the controversial fez Bryant catch.

Refs for the most part was what anyone would want in a playoff game. Refs let chiefs mug patriots .. let’s move on

Red Dawg 01-23-2019 06:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Haglund's_Spirit (Post 14068011)
Correct, and it did.

Dan Fouts is so dumb he thought the Raiders goofed and caught a break by luck
Clearly it was done on purpose.

Mama Hip Rockets 01-23-2019 06:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jerm (Post 14067861)
That rule is asinine to me...even more so than a fumble into the endzone being a touchback.

I agree. What an absolutely nonsensical rule.

Warrick 01-23-2019 06:13 PM

Also refs involved in prior scandals regardless who is
at fault, shouldn't be allowed to participate in any game that pertains those two teams. (I.E inflategate)

Bob Dole 01-23-2019 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 14068041)

Or someone patted Mahomes on the shoulder after a pass?

ricko1112 01-23-2019 07:22 PM

Because, with so many angles, it was conclusive that JE never touched the ball. There was far more evidence that EE is a woman beating dirtbag...

dj56dt58 01-23-2019 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sorry (Post 14068065)
Every single angle showed it didn’t touch him jfc wrong hill to die on.

Hogan was a catch. Literally more of a catch than the controversial fez Bryant catch.

Refs for the most part was what anyone would want in a playoff game. Refs let chiefs mug patriots .. let’s move on

I dont think so. One angle it looks like hit touched his thumb, even the announcers thought it did. On the other angles it looks like it didnt. Which angle to you go by? Also did it hit his arm? Sure looks like it might have. A lot of uncertainty which means call should stand