ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs sign free agent CB David Amerson (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=313979)

TRR 02-16-2018 07:06 PM

Chiefs sign free agent CB David Amerson

1 year deal per Terez Paylor.

Discuss...

thegame214 02-16-2018 07:06 PM

We shore up the defense this team will be god damn scary

TRR 02-16-2018 07:07 PM

More from Paylor on Twitter...

Amerson has a agreed to a 1-year deal worth $2.25M base with escalating incentives, I’m told.

MahiMike 02-16-2018 07:08 PM

This signing makes me amorous.

Simply Red 02-16-2018 07:11 PM

any good?

Urc Burry 02-16-2018 07:12 PM

I think Tyreek got him benched against us if I remember right. He’s been good in the past.. Not a bad prove it deal

prhom 02-16-2018 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13421218)
any good?

Probably 3rd best CB on the team, is my guess.

Simply Red 02-16-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhom (Post 13421222)

is he nice?

prhom 02-16-2018 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Urc Burry (Post 13421219)
I think Tyreek got him benched against us if I remember right. He’s been good in the past.. Not a bad prove it deal

He also embarrassed Casey Heyward, who was pretty good otherwise. Hill tends to do that to guys!

ChiliConCarnage 02-16-2018 07:16 PM

He's uh a guy

prhom 02-16-2018 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13421225)
is he nice?

I sure hope not! I want mean, nasty corners on this team.

Urc Burry 02-16-2018 07:20 PM

From the 15-16 season... PFF’s most improved player, but I think he’s struggled since
Quote:

David Amerson, CB, Oakland Raiders

Amerson was the Redskins’ second-round pick in 2013, and saw the field in every game during his rookie season. He struggled with consistency throughout the year, and finished with a relatively low coverage grade, which placed him 92nd out of 110 cornerbacks. Last season his coverage grade dropped even further, and he slid all the way down to 106th at his position. Amerson was released after Week 1 this season, and was subsequently picked up by the Raiders, where he’s been a completely different player ever since.

The former NC State standout posted a positive production grade in 2015, despite being targeted 104 times (sixth-most among NFL CBs). On those targets, he allowed just 58 completions and one touchdown. He tied for fifth overall with 13 passes defensed, and also picked off four passes. Last season, he allowed more completions (61) on fewer targets (91), and an NFL-high 10 touchdowns when targeted. Quarterbacks had a 140.2 rating when targeting Amerson in 2014; this season, that number has dropped to 62.7. His improvements have brought him up to an 83.4 overall grade, good for 15th out of all cornerbacks this season

DaneMcCloud 02-16-2018 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhom (Post 13421222)

Nah, he hasn’t been as good as Steve Nelson but it’s a good signing.

He’s way better than Gaines, Acker or Reasor.

The Franchise 02-16-2018 07:22 PM

Hopefully not a ton of it guaranteed.

Best22 02-16-2018 07:22 PM

Once again Veach finds a highly touted college player that another team quit on.

Unlike Ragland, Amerson has already had some success in the pros

Chief Northman 02-16-2018 07:25 PM

Taking a wait and see on this one. Is he CB#2 opposite Peters? (Kendall Fuller in slot in nickel, outside in Base).

Is my dream of Kyle Fuller to the Chiefs dead?

Easy 6 02-16-2018 07:25 PM

6'2 going 205 or so, 4.44 at the combine... kinda looks like another Sean Smith roll of the dice, he checks all of the same boxes with the same questions about hip flexibility, agility and beckpedal that Smith did

I'm down as hell with this, nothing is guaranteed... but we turned an under performing Smith into a quality CB, so theres no good reason to not expect similar production here

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...son?id=2540170

DaneMcCloud 02-16-2018 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 13421251)
Taking a wait and see on this one. Is he CB#2 opposite Peters? (Kendall Fuller in slot in nickel, outside in Base).

Is my dream of Kyle Fuller to the Chiefs dead?

I think he’s the #4 guy behind Peters, Fuller and Nelson.

$2.25 million says backup and depth, not starter.

loochy 02-16-2018 07:28 PM

I REALLY like how Veach is attacking things now instead of waiting

Getting things done

DaneMcCloud 02-16-2018 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13421260)
I REALLY like how Veach is attacking things now instead of waiting

Getting things done

I expect Hali to released next week or the week after, to give fans time to “mourn” the cutting of Derrick Johnson.

Simply Red 02-16-2018 07:30 PM

Are his dreams about Kyle Fuller dead?

prhom 02-16-2018 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13421242)
Nah, he hasn’t been as good as Steve Nelson but it’s a good signing.

He’s way better than Gaines, Acker or Reasor.

It’s interesting because Fuller was really good at slot last year, and Nelson has played most at slot CB. I think Amerson played outside for the Raiders. I just wonder who will play outside opposite Peters? Amerson, Fuller, Nelson or someone not yet on the roster? Very interesting!

nychief 02-16-2018 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13421252)
6'2 going 205 or so, 4.44 at the combine... kinda looks like another Sean Smith roll of the dice, he checks all of the same boxes with the same questions about hip flexibility, agility and beckpedal that Smith did

I'm down as hell with this, nothing is guaranteed... but we turned an under performing Smith into a quality CB, so theres no good reason to not expect similar production here

http://www.nfl.com/draft/2013/profil...son?id=2540170

Sean smith wasn't a roll of the dice.

DaneMcCloud 02-16-2018 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prhom (Post 13421268)
It’s interesting because Fuller was really good at slot last year, and Nelson has played most at slot CB. I think Amerson played outside for the Raiders. I just wonder who will play outside opposite Peters? Amerson, Fuller, Nelson or someone not yet on the roster? Very interesting!

Scot McCloughan said that Fuller is equally adept at outside as he is inside, so I’d expect him outside for the first two downs.

It probably depends on matchups as to whether or not he slips inside on 3rd down.

Easy 6 02-16-2018 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 13421271)
Sean smith wasn't a roll of the dice.

Why not?

carcosa 02-16-2018 07:40 PM

TO DA SHUP!!!

pugsnotdrugs19 02-16-2018 07:40 PM

JMO— but I think Amerson was signed to be the outside corner in nickel packages. There’s just no way he agrees to a deal that is filled with escalators if he doesn’t believe he’s going to play a good share of snaps.

RunKC 02-16-2018 07:41 PM

This is a great depth signing which allows Fuller to excel on 3rd down in the slot. You want Sutton to stop dropping Houston in coverage? Then fix the secondary, which Veach is doing.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-16-2018 07:41 PM

Amerson was burned by Hill, but he also had a pick-six on Smith in 2015...

prhom 02-16-2018 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13421274)
Scot McCloughan said that Fuller is equally adept at outside as he is inside, so I’d expect him outside for the first two downs.

It probably depends on matchups as to whether or not he slips inside on 3rd down.

Excellent, that should really help. If we have Fuller able to play outside or inside, we gain a lot of flexibility in terms of depth.

Mr_Tomahawk 02-16-2018 07:43 PM

Chiefs sign free agent CB David Amerson

The guy is garbage.

Raider fans were ecstatic when he got cut.

The only good thing about this is that we are not overly committed to him.

A “meh” signing in other words.

nychief 02-16-2018 07:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13421275)
Why not?

It was a three year contract, he was signed to start. All I'm saying is he wasn't a lotto ticket like this guy.

Easy 6 02-16-2018 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13421279)
JMO— but I think Amerson was signed to be the outside corner in nickel packages. There’s just no way he agrees to a deal that is filled with escalators if he doesn’t believe he’s going to play a good share of snaps.

This, no doubt about it

pugsnotdrugs19 02-16-2018 07:48 PM

Worst case scenario, he still provides an upgrade to our CB depth.

SAUTO 02-16-2018 07:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13421262)
I expect Hali to released next week or the week after, to give fans time to “mourn” the cutting of Derrick Johnson.

I thought dj said his restructure last year voided this year?

DaKernal 02-16-2018 07:52 PM

Amerson sucks. He's horrible. He was getting torched in every game I watched the Raiders play. My best friend (raider fan) is laughing his ass off at this. No way he's better than Nelson.

Easy 6 02-16-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 13421284)
The guy is garbage.

Raider fans were ecstatic when he got cut.

The only good thing about this is that we are not overly committed to him.

A “meh” signing in other words.

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 13421288)
It was a three year contract, he was signed to start. All I'm saying is he wasn't a lotto ticket like this guy.

He is a second round pick who under performed early on, exactly the same as Sean Smith

Obviously thats no guarantee he will be as good for us as Smith was, but at least recognize that this was indeed a good 'roll of the dice'... we've had some luck with guys like Amerson before

DaneMcCloud 02-16-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SAUTO (Post 13421303)
I thought dj said his restructure last year voided this year?

Yes but the Chiefs decided not to bring him back.

He wanted to come back, even on a cheap deal but the Chiefs said they were moving on from him.

The Franchise 02-16-2018 07:56 PM

Chiefs signed CB David Amerson to a one-year, $2.25 million contract.
Amerson can earn another $3.75 million through incentives. This, of course, is not the destination the Raiders would have picked. Amerson, 26, stays in the AFC West with Kansas City, which needs a starting right cornerback across from LCB Marcus Peters with Kendall Fuller in the slot. Amerson was a 2015 revelation in Oakland after a trade from Washington, then fizzled out immediately after signing a 2016 five-year, $34 million deal. On a one-year prove-it contract with the Chiefs, Amerson will have full motivation in 2018.

Looks like the max he can get is $6 million.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-16-2018 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13421310)
He is a second round pick who under performed early on, exactly the same as Sean Smith

Obviously thats no guarantee he will be as good for us as Smith was, but at least recognize that this was indeed a good 'roll of the dice'... we've had some luck with guys like Amerson before

Not to mention, Smith sure was a stud here... and then he went to Oakland. And looked like AIDS.

Point being, who other than Khalil Mack has been consistently good in that defense for the past several years? No one since Asomugha.

Amerson is coming here on a prove-it deal, and he gets to play in a secondary with 3 Pro Bowl/AP level players around him. If it’s my money, I’d bet on him having success.

TwistedChief 02-16-2018 07:59 PM

Depth in the secondary! A wasteland last season. Not sure I like him more than Terrence Mitchell but I can appreciate the Chiefs trying to shake things up if they see potential. He’s no worse than Gaines.

KCrockaholic 02-16-2018 07:59 PM

He's better than Gaines, but he still sucks.

Easy 6 02-16-2018 08:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13421316)
Not to mention, Smith sure was a stud here... and then he went to Oakland. And looked like AIDS.

Point being, who other than Khalil Mack has been consistently good in that defense for the past several years? No one since Asomugha.

Amerson is coming here on a prove-it deal, and he gets to play in a secondary with 3 Pro Bowl/AP level players around him. If it’s my money, I’d bet on him having success.

Jack Dios Mio, and Ken Norton Jr could **** up a cup of coffee

If Amerson has any talent, Al Harris and Emmitt Thomas will find it

pugsnotdrugs19 02-16-2018 08:07 PM

So this is interesting. Apparently Amerson missed the last 9 games last season. Team doctors were shooting up his shoulder at half time of the first Chiefs game when he complained about his foot being injured. This was the same game that Tyreek burned him, of course. Not that the foot injury would have mattered, but the point is he wasn’t healthy.

http://www.espn.com/nfl/story/_/id/2...-david-amerson

Quote:

In fact, it was against the Kansas City Chiefs on Oct. 19 when Amerson was in the locker room, getting his upper body checked out by team staff, that he noticed his lower body was hurting.

"Right before halftime, they were shooting up my shoulder and I told the trainers, 'Yo, something's wrong with my foot,'" Amerson recalled. "It felt like a burning sensation and it felt weak."

And while he said he was not diagnosed with a Lisfranc fracture, nor could he recall a specific play in which the foot was injured, Amerson said he did have ligament damage.

"It couldn't take the impact," Amerson said. "I couldn't push or cut."

Chief Northman 02-16-2018 08:11 PM

Peters, Fuller, Amerson, Nelson, Mitchell,
Out: Revis, Acker, and likely Gaines

Yeah, we are better in the secondary already.

I think Parker will get cut too. They need some range and speed at safety along with willing tacklers. I think McQuay sticks as cheap depth along with Terrell, but I expect a high pick investment in safety. Murray and Sorenson were not good last season.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-16-2018 08:14 PM

From a Raiders forum...

Quote:

Amerson, if healthy ( A BIG IF), will look much better on KC defense. I think the guy is very talented but has been badly misused and poorly coached. That’s said, I think his release was mutually beneficial for both parties.

KC signing him actually helps us if there was any chance he would file and win a grievance against us. He could potentially still do so since it seems his contract isn’t fully guaranteed with KC and was guaranteed for injury with us; however, he will probaly be much less inclined to pursue this since he’s caught on with another team

Chief Northman 02-16-2018 08:14 PM

And one perk:

Amerson does not count against the compensatory pick formula as he was released by Oakland.

Watch Veach do the same with Wilkerson out of New York.... :)

pugsnotdrugs19 02-16-2018 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 13421353)
And one perk:

Amerson does not count against the compensatory pick formula as he was released by Oakland.

Watch Veach do the same with Wilkerson out of New York.... :)

If we could sign Mo and draft Tim Settle, our DL could be bonkers.

RunKC 02-16-2018 08:18 PM

He was very good before he got hurt last year.

Quote:

David Amerson, CB, Oakland Raiders

Amerson was the Redskins’ second-round pick in 2013, and saw the field in every game during his rookie season. He struggled with consistency throughout the year, and finished with a relatively low coverage grade, which placed him 92nd out of 110 cornerbacks. Last season his coverage grade dropped even further, and he slid all the way down to 106th at his position. Amerson was released after Week 1 this season, and was subsequently picked up by the Raiders, where he’s been a completely different player ever since.

The former NC State standout posted a positive production grade in 2015, despite being targeted 104 times (sixth-most among NFL CBs). On those targets, he allowed just 58 completions and one touchdown. He tied for fifth overall with 13 passes defensed, and also picked off four passes. Last season, he allowed more completions (61) on fewer targets (91), and an NFL-high 10 touchdowns when targeted. Quarterbacks had a 140.2 rating when targeting Amerson in 2014; this season, that number has dropped to 62.7. His improvements have brought him up to an 83.4 overall grade, good for 15th out of all cornerbacks this season.
https://www.profootballfocus.com/new...layers-in-2015

Chief Northman 02-16-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13421355)
If we could sign Mo and draft Tim Settle, our DL could be bonkers.

No shit. That would be a mini-fantasy offseason....

Dunerdr 02-16-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13421316)

this they obviously think he can be coached back up. the raiders d was nothing special last year.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-16-2018 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 13421363)
this they obviously think he can be coached back up. the raiders d was nothing special last year.

I liken it to what Belichick did with Stephon Gilmore. He was struggling the last year or two in Buffalo, but BB knew he could maximize his ability. Which he did. Gilmore was great in the playoffs for them.

Now, Amerson doesn’t have his talent, but he’s got a lot more than most CBs.

Sassy Squatch 02-16-2018 08:26 PM

Can he play safety?

Chief Northman 02-16-2018 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13421377)
I liken it to what Belichick did with Stephon Gilmore. He was struggling the last year or two in Buffalo, but BB knew he could maximize his ability. Which he did. Gilmore was great in the playoffs for them.

Now, Amerson doesn’t have his talent, but he’s got a lot more than most CBs.

Amerson is a great athlete. Eye discipline and risk assessment seem to be his issues. Overly aggressive/not playing within the system gets him in trouble. Maybe Sutton can play more press with the stable he has now, which hopefully means more commitment to pressure.

Chief Northman 02-16-2018 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13421388)
Can he play safety?

Hmmmmm.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-16-2018 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Northman (Post 13421389)
Amerson is a great athlete. Eye discipline and risk assessment seem to be his issues. Overly aggressive/not playing within the system gets him in trouble. Maybe Sutton can play more press with the stable he has now, which hopefully means more commitment to pressure.

I forget who the reporter was—but there was someone who said after the Smith/Fuller trade that Sutton wanted to blitz and be more aggressive than he was last year, but didn’t think he had the personnel to do so.

To me, it sounded like it came straight from the mouth of someone within the building because I know the reporter was no Chiefs fan. May have been Rapoport or Schefter.

-King- 02-16-2018 08:50 PM

He's better than Phillip Gaines. That's about the best thing about it
Posted via Mobile Device

Iconic 02-16-2018 08:57 PM

Stop polishing a turd dude ****ing blows.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Raiders?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Raiders</a> release David Amerson. QBs targeting Amerson this year completed 23 of 31 for 391, 4 TDs, 155.6 rating. That was highest rating vs any defender w/ 20+ targets per <a href="https://twitter.com/SportradarUS?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@SportradarUS</a></p>&mdash; Josh Dubow (@JoshDubowAP) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoshDubowAP/status/960671842884239360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 6, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

The Franchise 02-16-2018 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 13421447)

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr"><a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Raiders?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Raiders</a> release David Amerson. QBs targeting Amerson this year completed 23 of 31 for 391, 4 TDs, 155.6 rating. That was highest rating vs any defender w/ 20+ targets per <a href="https://twitter.com/SportradarUS?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@SportradarUS</a></p>&mdash; Josh Dubow (@JoshDubowAP) <a href="https://twitter.com/JoshDubowAP/status/960671842884239360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 6, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Everyone on that defense, outside of Mack, ****ing sucked. It’s a 1 year deal. Calm the **** down.

staylor26 02-16-2018 09:03 PM

You can do a lot worse than Amerson as your #4 corner.

He might’ve sucked last year, but he’s shown the ability to be a good player before and he’s still only 26. Solid move.

In58men 02-16-2018 09:03 PM

He won’t be on the roster in 2019 mark it down.

Easy 6 02-16-2018 09:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13421388)
Can he play safety?

Oddly enough thats where some scouts had him, due to hip flexibility and backpedal concerns

Same as Sean Smith

But nah, Veach was looking for the same kind of boundary player as Smith, and he most likely got his man

BossChief 02-16-2018 09:20 PM

Trash.

Rudy tossed tigger's salad 02-16-2018 09:23 PM

Yuck

Pasta Little Brioni 02-16-2018 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 13421447)

He was hurt. Morons...

Mother****erJones 02-16-2018 09:26 PM

Not thrilled with this move but it’s a cheap deal and he’s a depth corner. Hopefully he heals up and can produce in a different defense.

thabear04 02-16-2018 09:29 PM

4 CB deep that’s a hell of a Defence now let’s find a good OLB or DE.

ILChief 02-16-2018 09:29 PM

Is he better than Gaines and Acker?

Pasta Little Brioni 02-16-2018 09:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 13421510)

Absolutely more talented. The question is can he recover and bounce back? Hence the incentive laden deal.

Easy 6 02-16-2018 09:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 13421486)
Trash.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rudy tossed tigger's salad (Post 13421491)
Yuck

LMAO welp that settles it, this was a failure before it even began!

BossChief 02-16-2018 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ILChief (Post 13421510)

Not by much. Amerson has been trash in every game I’ve seen him play. Not a fan.

Mother****erJones 02-16-2018 09:37 PM

Peters
Fuller
Nelson
Amerson

Now we can add a draft pick in round 3, or that’s at least what I’d do

DaneMcCloud 02-16-2018 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mother****erJones (Post 13421525)
Peters
Fuller
Nelson
Amerson

Now we can add a draft pick in round 3, or that’s at least what I’d do

Safety, DE, ILB are priorities before another cornerback that'll sit on the bench for a year or two, IMO.

lawrenceRaider 02-16-2018 09:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13421218)
any good?

When healthy, not bad. Has had some concussion issues which were a bit scary. Missed a ton of time to injury over the last couple years.

Chief Northman 02-16-2018 09:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13421538)
Safety, DE, ILB are priorities before another cornerback that'll sit on the bench for a year or two, IMO.

Definitely. NT needs to be a concern as well.

I’d add a #2 TE before corner too...

Hoover 02-16-2018 09:51 PM

Quote:

Confident we can find an ILB and S in the draft. It's the DL that worries me as far as the draft goes.

Bowser 02-16-2018 09:56 PM

Quote:

Am I wrong in hoping that our first pick goes towards the best rush backer left on the board? I have no faith in Dee Ford and I don't know what to think of KPass.

Hoover 02-16-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 13421564)
Am I wrong in hoping that our first pick goes towards the best rush backer left on the board? I have no faith in Dee Ford and I don't know what to think of KPass.

So would you take the 15th best rush backer or one of the top 5 players at a different position. Yes OLB/Edge is a need, but you can't just focus on one need at a premium position.

Bowser 02-16-2018 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 13421573)
So would you take the 15th best rush backer or one of the top 5 players at a different position. Yes OLB/Edge is a need, but you can't just focus on one need at a premium position.

Yeah I know, and with the way players fly off the board in bunches it's not a good plan. I just think we're kind of hosed at the position, especially with the way Sutton uses Houston as a corner/safety half the time.

Mother****erJones 02-16-2018 10:06 PM

Quote:

If only the right guy fell. I’m definitely focusing on DL and ILB along with S at 54 and round 3. But you can never have enough corners and couple of these guys have health issues to begin with (Nelson, Amerson and Fuller).