ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Anyone ever experience burnout? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=332727)

Mecca 07-30-2020 02:45 PM

Anyone ever experience burnout?

I feel like I'm there, I was there before Covid and feel like it's worse now. I legit have no motivation to do anything and I know I'm pessimistic and not fun to be around for the most part. If anyone wants further stuff I can deep dive but I need some advice because I feel like I'm stuck in the wallow not to escape.

CaliforniaChief 07-30-2020 02:47 PM

Yep! Went through it beginning of 2019. Took a sabbatical and with lots of counseling/rest/learning new habits was able to recover.

It's nothing to mess around with.

Mecca 07-30-2020 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 15093223)
Yep! Went through it beginning of 2019. Took a sabbatical and with lots of counseling/rest/learning new habits was able to recover.

It's nothing to mess around with.

I explain this to my wife and she'll ask what she can do to help and honestly I don't have an answer, I don't want to say I need you to do everything I do for the next 2 weeks because that isn't reasonable or something I really want her to do yet a part of me feels that way.

Dayze 07-30-2020 03:01 PM

I had it years ago.
hated my job; I would get to work and sit in my car in the parking lot, just dreading getting out of my car and walking in. fatasizing about just driving to a different state..completely irrational thoughts / though process. Just absolutely hated it. I couldn't expllain it to my wife. Best I could come up with in trying to explain the feeling of overwhelming dread when she would say "I' don't know why you worry about it...just enjoy your time at home", as to tell her "imagine on Friday you get off of work, and on Monday, you're going to jail for the next 24 months.....it's coming, and there's nothing you can do about it. and you can't stop thinking about it".

was tired all day every day because I could never sleep. I would be so exhausted and tired all day, and go to bed at night, then the feeling of dread and anxiety would keep me awake until like 2am; so I'd get about 3 hours of sleep per day.

my burnout was combine with depression/anxiety...though, they probably all work together in causing each others' issues.

I was miserable. absolutely miserable. wasn't thinking clearly or rationally. hopeless and dread was my day to day mental health. Not good. Mine was almost all work related. not sure if your burnout is work related or not. I spent a good 6 or 7 years in this mode - not at the same job, but same industry. I'm honestly not even sure how I made it out of that mental place. I did go to some counseling, maybe 4 sessions or so, but I wasn't buying in and thought it was a waste of time (at the time). Thankfully my wife stuck around and life has improved beyond words.

I would do whatever it is that is needed to get out of burnout mode. but finding out what that 'it' is, is always the bitch.

Abba-Dabba 07-30-2020 03:03 PM

Learn your why. Wake up everyday and go get it.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/cdT-gYSYO7s" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

kcclone 07-30-2020 03:04 PM

Life is tough but it’s better than the alternative. I think everyone is a little down and out right now.

Also, everything is better when you’re working out consistently. It doesn’t have to be an hour per day of hard core training but take walks and lift weights for a few minutes. Even that will make you feel 3x better

Otter 07-30-2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 15093243)
I had it years ago.
hated my job; I would get to work and sit in my car in the parking lot, just dreading getting out of my car and walking in. fatasizing about just driving to a different state..completely irrational thoughts / though process. Just absolutely hated it. I couldn't expllain it to my wife. Best I could come up with in trying to explain the feeling of overwhelming dread when she would say "I' don't know why you worry about it...just enjoy your time at home", as to tell her "imagine on Friday you get off of work, and on Monday, you're going to jail for the next 24 months.....it's coming, and there's nothing you can do about it. and you can't stop thinking about it".

was tired all day every day because I could never sleep. I would be so exhausted and tired all day, and go to bed at night, then the feeling of dread and anxiety would keep me awake until like 2am; so I'd get about 3 hours of sleep per day.

my burnout was combine with depression/anxiety...though, they probably all work together in causing each others' issues.

I was miserable. absolutely miserable. wasn't thinking clearly or rationally. hopeless and dread was my day to day mental health. Not good. Mine was almost all work related. not sure if your burnout is work related or not. I spent a good 6 or 7 years in this mode - not at the same job, but same industry. I'm honestly not even sure how I made it out of that mental place. I did go to some counseling, maybe 4 sessions or so, but I wasn't buying in and thought it was a waste of time (at the time). Thankfully my wife stuck around and life has improved beyond words.

I would do whatever it is that is needed to get out of burnout mode. but finding out what that 'it' is, is always the bitch.

IT industry by any chance? That shit will burn anyone out.

Rasputin 07-30-2020 03:07 PM

Gunter gleiben glauchen globen

All right

I got somethin' to say

Yeah, it's better to burn out

Yeah, than fade away

big nasty kcnut 07-30-2020 03:07 PM

I am right now i work hard yet I never get rewarded or anything. My coworker can just barely do anything and they love him. It like i don't give a shit anymore. Plus it hard to meet people who share my interests.

Mecca 07-30-2020 03:07 PM

Quote:

I had it years ago.

Mine's both, I feel like I never have a moment to myself there's always more to do.

RunKC 07-30-2020 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15093229)
I explain this to my wife and she'll ask what she can do to help and honestly I don't have an answer, I don't want to say I need you to do everything I do for the next 2 weeks because that isn't reasonable or something I really want her to do yet a part of me feels that way.

Ask for a BJ. You’ll feel better

Bewbies 07-30-2020 03:09 PM

I’ve been there. It was on a trip up to the Pacific NW with my wife I realized it. Took me almost 3 days to unwind enough to even be present where I was.

This led me to a lot to questions, all a deeper version of why. Why am I working this hard? Why is that my answer? Is that answer true? What is it I actually need. What is it I actually want? That kind of stuff. Got super honest with myself and didn’t like the answers.

That was 4 years ago, I’m super happy now. Really enjoy what I do, and who I have become going through that.

I really, really believe this pause we are all in is a huge opportunity some people are going to take advantage of and come out on the other side changed, happy, on a new course. And I think if we are all honest, we can all use some time to reflect on where we are. Where we eventually want to be, and if we are in fact on that path.

Do the work man, it’s worth it. I’d recommend reading some books, watching documentaries on curating your life. Cal Newport, The Minimalists, Ekart Tolle, Rich Roll and Rob Bell all come to mind as people who had work influence me while I was working through all of that.

seclark 07-30-2020 03:09 PM

yeah, went through a period for about a year or so around the time my old man died and i was having a bitch of a time sleeping. couldn't figure out why i was so down, because actually i had a pretty great family and life.

got over it, but when i think back i was pretty ****ed up for awhile.
sec

Mr_Tomahawk 07-30-2020 03:11 PM

Sure have.

I have gone through a couple of "burned out" episodes in my life.

The thing that helped me get out of it, or jumpstart myself, was to make subtle lifestyle changes.

Get up an hour earlier every day.

Try forcing yourself to go outside for a walk 30 minutes a day if you don't already.

Take on a new diet...

Pick up a new hobby. One year I built a raised garden...that was awesome for myself.

It's easy to get into a rut and once in, hard to get out at times...

You'll get there.

Kman34 07-30-2020 03:12 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/originals/34/d9...b4ff7a0930.gif

TEX 07-30-2020 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr_Tomahawk (Post 15093263)
Sure have.

I have gone through a couple of "burned out" episodes in my life.

The thing that helped me get out of it, or jumpstart myself, was to make subtle lifestyle changes.

Get up an hour earlier every day.

Try forcing yourself to go outside for a walk 30 minutes a day if you don't already.

Take on a new diet...

Pick up a new hobby. One year I built a raised garden...that was awesome for myself.

It's easy to get into a rut and once in, hard to get out at times...

You'll get there.

Good advice!

displacedinMN 07-30-2020 03:14 PM

Yup. Last year-the cluster. Im sure you read my posts.

TAKE TIME OFF. See what options there are. PTO for medical leave or 6 week leave. Most employers have an employee help line that offers counseling then a good insurance discount for counseling. It does not hurt to take a mild anxiety medication. Think mine is Sertraline.

My doc said around age 50, the brain becomes less plastic. More rigid. Meaning its ability to react and adapt slows. Not sure of your age. But at 50-I have been doing my job for 28 years. I was tired and the mix of kids were hell.

We all deserve to have valleys in life. Don't let it continue to fester.

Mecca 07-30-2020 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 15093272)
Yup. Last year-the cluster. Im sure you read my posts.

TAKE TIME OFF. See what options there are. PTO for medical leave or 6 week leave. Most employers have an employee help line that offers counseling then a good insurance discount for counseling. It does not hurt to take a mild anxiety medication. Think mine is Sertraline.

My doc said around age 50, the brain becomes less plastic. More rigid. Meaning its ability to react and adapt slows. Not sure of your age. But at 50-I have been doing my job for 28 years. I was tired and the mix of kids were hell.

We all deserve to have valleys in life. Don't let it continue to fester.

I'll be 40 this year, my home life has become more stressful also which is playing in.

ChiefBlueCFC 07-30-2020 03:20 PM

Played Burnout on the OG XBox back in the day all the time!

DJ's left nut 07-30-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15093215)
I feel like I'm there, I was there before Covid and feel like it's worse now. I legit have no motivation to do anything and I know I'm pessimistic and not fun to be around for the most part. If anyone wants further stuff I can deep dive but I need some advice because I feel like I'm stuck in the wallow not to escape.

Yup.

Heard a quote once that was essentially "The problem is that people get everything they were after and suddenly realize that their dreams were too small..."

And that one hit hard. Professionally I spent 10 years pursuing a role I got. Now I have it and I'm boooooored. And stuck - ain't anyplace else to go here. But I damn sure don't want to start over either because it's probably just gonna be a repeat of the same cycle.

30 didn't bother me because I was on track; was ticking all the boxes and growing and developing and moving forward. 40's gonna bring me to my knees. Why? Because I feel like the last 5 years have just been spinning my wheels. And with COVID and shit it's been doubly bad because it's hard to fend off fatalism. How hard I work/don't work is irrelevant if X or Y passes or if the country continues to tailspin.

I don't know what to tell you, man. I try to contextualize it as best I can (look; my life's pretty damn good and this is truly just finding things to bitch about), but I think it happens no matter how successful/unsuccessful some people are.

Some people prefer the hunt to the spoils. And they're just perpetually restless souls. I'm reading Grant right now and man, that's Grant through and through - guy was miserable when he was content. He drank because of successes as often as failures.

I think Tomahawk has the right of it - you've gotta just find something else to chase and force yourself to chase it. A skill/hobby seems like a start. Maybe just start forcing yourself into activity when you're doing otherwise sedentary activities (only watch TV or play video games when you're on a treadmill, for instance).

I think it's pretty common.

TEX 07-30-2020 03:21 PM

Quote:

Im there now myself. Its happened to me a couple of times due to some bad life-changing event. I basically get to where I don't give a shit about anything and feel no motivation to fix it - but I always do, by doing exactly what Mr. Tomahawk said.

displacedinMN 07-30-2020 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15093273)
I'll be 40 this year, my home life has become more stressful also which is playing in.

Start with counseling. I never thought I would be. It helped.

lewdog 07-30-2020 03:27 PM

I’ve had COVID twice.

**** your feelings.

Jk.

Mecca 07-30-2020 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 15093292)
I’ve had COVID twice.

**** your feelings.

Jk.

The other day I said, man if I got covid I wouldn't have to do anything, that sounds good.

Pants 07-30-2020 03:31 PM

Quote:

I’ve had a sinus infection twice.

**** your feelings.

Jk.

FYP, pussy.

ModSocks 07-30-2020 03:33 PM

Smoke some weed.

Life is about how many ****s you've got to give, and sometimes it's good to just not give a ****. Roll with it, don't fight it imo.

You're going to get burned out of feeling burned out, so don't do anything stupid that you'll regret later.

Instead, remind yourself that emotions don't last forever. You WILL find the juice again at some point. The faster you get over it, the sooner you get to enjoying life again.

So stop caring so damn much and let the chips fall where they may.

Life has a way of working itself out. You'll be fine, remind yourself of that.

And stay out of D.C.

ModSocks 07-30-2020 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15093257)
Mine's both, I feel like I never have a moment to myself there's always more to do.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3pIqwhtINqw" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

ModSocks 07-30-2020 03:35 PM

Oh, and hit the gym. Or, buy some damn gym equipment.

scho63 07-30-2020 03:38 PM

Quote:

I’ve had COVID twice.

**** your feelings.

Jk.

Damn dude, hope your recovering!

https://live.staticflickr.com/6064/6...8496933e_b.jpg

InChiefsHeaven 07-30-2020 03:40 PM

I hate to dip my toes in this thread, because I know Mecca is not a Christian, but I just want to say I totally hear you. I remember thinking at the beginning of this year that 2020 was going to be the best year ever. Well...so much for that.

Work has been a ball of stress like never before. I'm in IT and so I've had to come up with a ton of solutions at the drop of a hat, install a crapload of equipment that we probably won't use after this Covid thing goes away, listen to people bitch and moan about solutions that don't work right away or the way they want, and on and on. On top of that, there's what's happening in the news, in our country, and for me, in my Church. It's frustrating me to no end, because I can point fingers but at the end of the day there is not one damn thing I can do about it. Well, maybe one thing.

I'm Catholic, and quite serious about my faith. But even so, I've struggled mightily and I have to admit finding myself just checking out of things. Due to obligations, I have not fully checked out, but I feel like I'm going through the motions with a lot of things.

For me, it is accepting the hard reality that shit happens and much of it is out of my control. I believe that God is still there, and I just need to find a new way to commune with Him, to maintain a relationship with Him, because that's what sustains me.

For you, man, I don't really know what to say as far as advice. Just wanted to pop in and let you know that I feel you brutha. I'm there as well. God bless.

eDave 07-30-2020 03:40 PM

Yes. I straight up left the workforce last September due to it. And I appreciate other's honesty here. Many in my circle don't understand what I'm doing, which is nothing right now. I heavily considered counseling for it early on but just gave into letting time take charge. It's really the only way to get over it.

BWillie 07-30-2020 03:40 PM

Quote:

Yep. I'm there now for poker which kind of trickles over to everyday life. I haven't been playing near as much as I should. From 2013-2019 I was jazzed all the time to play. Now much less so. I don't know if related to Covid because I play 97% online, but who knew the human element was sorely needed to aid in the excitement.

KCUnited 07-30-2020 03:41 PM

I intentionally ****ed off my entire 20's before joining the rat race so I don't know about burnout per se but I've definitely struggled with work/life balance. I found balance in finding something that I like to do that doesn't involve anyone else, something personalized just for me.

Tomorrow I'm on PTO and am brewing a beer. I plan it weeks in advance from conceptualizing the recipe to purchasing ingredients to process creation to DIY equipment tweaks, all of which is a pleasant distraction and anyone close to me knows I'm not to be bothered with anything outside of a true emergency on that day. I'm not checking in, I'm not running it by anyone first, it's a day on the calendar I circle for me and it's something that challenges me to get better at which takes my entire focus away from everything else going on in life.

TEX 07-30-2020 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15093305)
Smoke some weed.

Life is about how many ****s you've got to give, and sometimes it's good to just not give a ****. Roll with it, don't fight it imo.

You're going to get burned out of feeling burned out, so don't do anything stupid that you'll regret later.

Instead, remind yourself that emotions don't last forever. You WILL find the juice again at some point. The faster you get over it, the sooner you get to enjoying life again.

So stop caring so damn much and let the chips fall where they may.

Life has a way of working itself out. You'll be fine, remind yourself of that.

And stay out of D.C.

"You're going to get burned out on feeling burned out" - So true.

InChiefsHeaven 07-30-2020 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15093309)
Oh, and hit the gym. Or, buy some damn gym equipment.

I have been working out regularly for a couple of years, and that has helped these last few months. Shoot, I lost some weight and physically I feel great, so there's that I guess.

InChiefsHeaven 07-30-2020 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 15093319)
Yes. I straight up left the workforce last October due to it. And I appreciate other's honesty here. Many in my circle don't understand what I'm doing, which is nothing right now. I heavily considered counseling for it early on but just gave into letting time take charge.

Holy shit, how are you getting by? I've heard of people doing that, but I don't know how that would work...

Pants 07-30-2020 03:46 PM

Lack of motivation and constant feeling of fatigue and sadness/anger could be manifestations of depression.

As the hormone levels change in aging men, many go through this sort of thing.

My first step would be to see your doctor and get a referral for a good endocrinologist. It's possible you can fix this if your hormonal balance is restored.

If you played football in your youth or did anything that may have given you concussions, you're at a much higher risk of this hormonal imbalance.

Another sign of this are weaker boners or less of libido in general. I am not asking you to tell us how those things are going for you, but if you noticed a big difference, it's another reason to get your hormones checked.

If your hormones check out, maybe consider therapy/counseling like others have mentioned. If that doesn't work, you may want to try to take the medication route.

Iowanian 07-30-2020 03:48 PM

I've gone through what I call slumps, where I'm burned out and don't feel much happiness in things where I should.

I just got back from the longest vacation I've taken in a long long time, expecting to be rejuvenated, but I'm very fatigued. I do feel more relaxed.

When I'm in a slump where I'm struggling with motivation, Just ****ing make myself stay on my feet when I get home from work, change my clothes and go outside and "do 1 thing". I'll go work in my shop, or spray a tank of roundup or just accomplish 1 thing before I go let myself sit and do the family thing. I've struggled with relaxing for a long time, and have too many side hustles sometimes.

In short, I just make myself plow through it and stay busy and eventually come out on top.

mr. tegu 07-30-2020 03:53 PM

Unhappiness occurs when expectations don’t match with reality. It’s up to you to correct that imbalance whether it’s changing expectations, reality, or both.

eDave 07-30-2020 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven (Post 15093330)
Holy shit, how are you getting by? I've heard of people doing that, but I don't know how that would work...

I'm all good now. Though I share others feelings about being burned out over Covid and pretty much stuck at home, away from friends.

I also stopped drinking and drugs when I opted out. Didn't make any sort of effort, just didn't feel like it anymore.

vailpass 07-30-2020 03:59 PM

First thing to do is get physical exercise every day. Best is first thing in the morning. Doesn't matter what your fitness level is. If you can walk half a mile do it every morning first thing. then get up to a mile. Then walk a mile and right afterward ride your bike that same mile.

If you already get activity every day increase it and keep pushing.

Everything in your life will be better if you get physical activity every day. Everything.

eDave 07-30-2020 04:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by vailpass (Post 15093349)
First thing to do is get physical exercise every day. Best is first thing in the morning. Doesn't matter what your fitness level is. If you can walk half a mile do it every morning first thing. then get up to a mile. Then walk a mile and right afterward ride your bike that same mile.

If you already get activity every day increase it and keep pushing.

Everything in your life will be better if you get physical activity every day. Everything.

There was an episode of LA Law once that featured Arnie's morning routine before going to the office. It starts the episode. It's always stuck with me and I do none of it.

dmahurin 07-30-2020 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 15093253)

IT got me out of the funk of security work.

BigBeauford 07-30-2020 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15093284)
Yup.

Heard a quote once that was essentially "The problem is that people get everything they were after and suddenly realize that their dreams were too small..."

And that one hit hard. Professionally I spent 10 years pursuing a role I got. Now I have it and I'm boooooored. And stuck - ain't anyplace else to go here. But I damn sure don't want to start over either because it's probably just gonna be a repeat of the same cycle.

30 didn't bother me because I was on track; was ticking all the boxes and growing and developing and moving forward. 40's gonna bring me to my knees. Why? Because I feel like the last 5 years have just been spinning my wheels. And with COVID and shit it's been doubly bad because it's hard to fend off fatalism. How hard I work/don't work is irrelevant if X or Y passes or if the country continues to tailspin.

I don't know what to tell you, man. I try to contextualize it as best I can (look; my life's pretty damn good and this is truly just finding things to bitch about), but I think it happens no matter how successful/unsuccessful some people are.

Some people prefer the hunt to the spoils. And they're just perpetually restless souls. I'm reading Grant right now and man, that's Grant through and through - guy was miserable when he was content. He drank because of successes as often as failures.

I think Tomahawk has the right of it - you've gotta just find something else to chase and force yourself to chase it. A skill/hobby seems like a start. Maybe just start forcing yourself into activity when you're doing otherwise sedentary activities (only watch TV or play video games when you're on a treadmill, for instance).

Wow has that quote hit me hard. I'm about to transition to my 4th job in roughly 6 years. I keep eyeballing the big salary increases, while hoping that I'll get a commensurate amount of challenge to go with it. What I'm finding is I come in, kick ass and climb the mountain, then after about a year, I am not challenged enough and want something more. I'm about to start working for the VA, so I hope I'll be satisfied with the job security, benefits, and serving veterans. Just a bit terrified of this constant wanderlust and how its going to bite me in the ass someday.

As for the OP, working out helps a ton, and a little pot to settle the mind has always helped. Just don't overdue it. Stick to the weekends.

TrebMaxx 07-30-2020 04:06 PM

I hit the wall right around 46-48 years of age. What I did is I started saving money like crazy and built up a separate account with full knowledge on what my next step would be. That next step was to quit my job. I took about 2 years off just working on the honey do list but also things like fishing and golfing. Eventually I was ready to jump back into the workforce. I took a slightly lesser job but less stressful than my previous employment and am loving it. It doesn't hurt my attitude any that I have a little over 2 1/2 years until I retire.

Take some time for yourself. Worked for me.

backinblack 07-30-2020 04:08 PM

I'm there right now, just bought a house and over the past month I've been getting it ready to live in, moving shit, cleaning out my previous apartment etc. We are finally done with all of it, have a little bit of touch up to do on the apartment tomorrow before I turn the keys in.

Of course this heat is not helping anything. I don't want to do anything for the next month.

eDave 07-30-2020 04:08 PM

Quote:

I had it years ago.

This was me. I didn't know how miserable I really was until just recently.

Megatron96 07-30-2020 04:10 PM

Been in the dumps more times than I can count. I think because I get bored so easily, which leads me to depression or just utter apathy. Either way, it's a bad place to be for me.

I won't bore you with my personal story, or stories really. And I can't tell you the magic spell that makes everything better. The only thing I can really say is you probably should find something to do that really forces you to be present (hate that damned word, but it fits).

I found a variety of hobbies, such as fly fishing, Muy Thai kick-boxing, fly-tying, reloading my own ammo, becoming a certified firearms instructor, prairie dog hunting, etc. But I don't think that's actually necessary for everyone to have more than one. It just has to be something that you really enjoy or that just occupies the creative/imaginative (possibly competitive) parts of your brain.

So for instance, I like fixing/maintaining/building things, so i can spend hours tinkering with the truck, or breaking down every gun in the house and cleaning/oiling every part and then putting them all back together. A month ago I decided to replace all the guts in every toilet in my mother's house as well as the seats and lids. I made it a project; I had my mother choose the colors/styles/functions of the seats, I did some research on what flush/fill valves/gaskets/putties/etc. were the best and a bunch of other stuff I normally wouldn't bother with.

It took two weeks to get to the buying part.

And then a whole weekend to install everything, but at the end of it I was actually smiling when I test-flushed the last toilet. Ridiculous I know, but I felt like I'd accomplished something and in the process made my mom's house a little more efficient (a couple of the toilets had been intermittently leaking/refilling for a while).

Lately I've been considering building a rifle. Don't need another one, but the time it will take to build it will occupy my mind and hands for weeks, if not months.

InChiefsHeaven 07-30-2020 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 15093339)
I'm all good now. Though I share others feelings about being burned out over Covid and pretty much stuck at home, away from friends.

I also stopped drinking and drugs when I opted out. Didn't make any sort of effort, just didn't feel like it anymore.

But I'm curious how you, you know...eat? Did you have a bunch saved up before?

eDave 07-30-2020 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHeaven (Post 15093370)
But I'm curious how you, you know...eat? Did you have a bunch saved up before?

Yes. The rewards of burning oneself the **** out.

ThyKingdomCome15 07-30-2020 04:16 PM

Wut?

That sounds like just another day in the world we live in to me.

eDave 07-30-2020 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThyKingdomCome15 (Post 15093376)
Wut?

That sounds like just another day in the world we live in to me.

There are many merits to a 4 day work week and the return of sabbaticals.

DJ's left nut 07-30-2020 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 15093360)
Wow has that quote hit me hard. I'm about to transition to my 4th job in roughly 6 years. I keep eyeballing the big salary increases, while hoping that I'll get a commensurate amount of challenge to go with it. What I'm finding is I come in, kick ass and climb the mountain, then after about a year, I am not challenged enough and want something more. I'm about to start working for the VA, so I hope I'll be satisfied with the job security, benefits, and serving veterans. Just a bit terrified of this constant wanderlust and how its going to bite me in the ass someday.

As for the OP, working out helps a ton, and a little pot to settle the mind has always helped. Just don't overdue it. Stick to the weekends.

Yeah - what worries the shit out of me is to think about it like a racing dog.

If the greyhound catches the rabbit, he'll never race again. He realizes it's just a stuffed rabbit - what's the !@#$ing point?

It's unnerving at times. For me it's now become a pursuit of enough liquidity to purchase a bunch of land and spend a couple decades building something for my kids and grandkids to have after me. But shit - now I'm paycheck collecting and pursuing as much wealth as I can to make that possible. And that's no better. Moreover, it's a 20 year pursuit and things that far in the distance don't provide the near-term gratification to keep you sated.

It's a hard line to walk.

WilliamTheIrish 07-30-2020 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15093284)
Yup.

A great quote that many motivational speakers use. And as truthful as the day is long.

Just after my youngest graduated from HS and headed out into the world, this was my experience. Landed the job, with a great boss and salary demands were met. Beyond my expectations.

Had the house, cars that we needed (was never big on a car payment) and from the outside, it all was there.

Week one: I was already looking for another position. Didn't even know why. But just had to go.

This type of thing went on for the better part of a decade. It wasn't until 10 years ago that I realized I didn't need something new. But we are so programmed that way. It's pretty common to ask a person "What do you do"? (as a career) and that is what we use to define them as well as ourselves.

That changed for me when I became a servant leader of sorts and volunteered in a place where there was true need. It was then that it hit me that "I'm okay, but maybe these folks could use a hand. A friend. An ear to listen. They didn't care what I did for a living. they were glad I was there and present.

It changed my life. Even through the angst of COVID, I've only had moments of angst. I'm still doing what makes me happy and still trying to volunteer to help others who have real needs. Needs that are much greater than mine.

So, Mecca;

It's probably not the solution for everybody. But when you see the people who have real needs, needs far greater than your own... well, it set my mind right. And now I feel as good as I've felt in my life.

WilliamTheIrish 07-30-2020 04:33 PM

Also,

smoke weed.

(detox, that was great).

eDave 07-30-2020 04:36 PM

You look for your dreams in heaven
But what the hell are you supposed to do
When they come true?

- George Michael

Check the source and ponder it: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lu6G6nKhono

DJ's left nut 07-30-2020 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WilliamTheIrish (Post 15093395)
That changed for me when I became a servant leader of sorts and volunteered in a place where there was true need. It was then that it hit me that "I'm okay, but maybe these folks could use a hand. A friend. An ear to listen. They didn't care what I did for a living. they were glad I was there and present.

It changed my life. Even through the angst of COVID, I've only had moments of angst. I'm still doing what makes me happy and still trying to volunteer to help others who have real needs. Needs that are much greater than mine.

So, Mecca;

It's probably not the solution for everybody. But when you see the people who have real needs, needs far greater than your own... well, it set my mind right. And now I feel as good as I've felt in my life.

This is great advice - something I should definitely consider.

It provides a dual function. 1) It provides a purpose that can never truly be fully accomplished (there will ALWAYS be people in need) and 2) It demands you maintain perspective.

Fantastic insight, sir.

siberian khatru 07-30-2020 04:48 PM

This is one of the best and most important threads in CP history

keg in kc 07-30-2020 04:49 PM

I've been burned out so often that you can probably just call me a burnout at this point. For me it's always been my subconscious yelling at me that I'm not happy with my life, and me ignoring it, avoiding thinking about anything, just losing myself in video games and tv and books.

If I were you, I'd ask yourself what it is that you're not satisfied with, and try to find constructive ways to change those things. And it may be a lot of things. Your job. Your family life. The balance between the two. Where you live. How you spend your free time. Whatever they are, there's reasons why you're feeling the way you do. And they may be difficult to acknowledge or to face. But, as the saying goes, the only way out is through.

WilliamTheIrish 07-30-2020 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 15093403)
This is great advice - something I should definitely consider.

It provides a dual function. 1) It provides a purpose that can never truly be fully accomplished (there will ALWAYS be people in need) and 2) It demands you maintain perspective.

Fantastic insight, sir.

While I wish I had started earlier in life, (I should have been reading stories to the kids at MY kids grade school), I think I could have fended off those "I have to...." demons.

And as I look back, what could possibly be more fun than being at your kids school, telling them the story of, say, Enos Slaughter's mad dash? Or Tom Lawless' HR and original bat flip? Or leading them in a terrible rendition of Take Me Out To The Ball Game"! on Opening Day? Nothing could be better.

It doesn't even have to be your kids class. Think of them, as a 7 year old, walking by in the hallway as you read "Where Will All The Animals GO"? to a group of kids? They'll sneak you a smile and remember you were the dad that came to school to read. (and believe you me, they'll remember that).

In your profession, it may be difficult, but imagine telling your partners in the firm, I'm out from 1000A to noon. I gotta go read to the kids". If anybody thought less of me for that, well. Too bad.

Heroes are made in simple ways.

CoMoChief 07-30-2020 05:12 PM

I get burnout when I get off rotation from my job...I travel a lot...work 7 days on 7 days off pretty much.

When I get home off rotation...I don't wanna do shit, don't wanna cook, clean, run errands, go to the bank, etc. Especially the first couple days I sit on my ass and recollect and don't do a god damn thing.

Dunno if this is necessarily burnout per say, but my home has gone to trash, need to clean and haven't done it forever....get depressed when I think about it lol.

eDave 07-30-2020 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CoMoChief (Post 15093448)
I get burnout when I get off rotation from my job...I travel a lot...work 7 days on 7 days off pretty much.

When I get home off rotation...I don't wanna do shit, don't wanna cook, clean, run errands, go to the bank, etc. Especially the first couple days I sit on my ass and recollect and don't do a god damn thing.

Dunno if this is necessarily burnout per say, but my home has gone to trash, need to clean and haven't done it forever....get depressed when I think about it lol.

Amazingly, cleaning your house will lift your spirits a great deal.

eDave 07-30-2020 05:15 PM

WilliamTheIrish is crushing this thread. Great great stuff from both he and nut.

BryanBusby 07-30-2020 05:16 PM

Quote:

**** if that ain't the truth. It's not the work itself that burns me out, it's the constant studying I do on my own time on top of the work to not become irrelevant.

Dayze 07-30-2020 05:22 PM

Quote:

Project management / controls in the cell tower / core network shit.
Not IT Per se, more on the construction and A&E side of things.

KentuckyChief 07-30-2020 05:36 PM

Anybody here ever work in an automotive factory? I’ve worked for one of the big 3 for 26 years. Doing the same exact movements every 40 seconds for 10 hours a day for years causes extreme burnout. I feel for ya Mecca, burnout sucks, I’m right there with you, completely apathetic about everything right now. I hate myself when I wake up, spend the day in complete silence, not wanting to interact with others. I barely feel human anymore. If I have any advice it’d be to say that you’re not alone and I’ll keep you in my thoughts.

Chiefnj2 07-30-2020 05:55 PM

Speak with a professional.

MahiMike 07-30-2020 06:08 PM

Women never understand. Seems a waste of time to vent to them.

More folks are dealing w/the stress of 2020 than the actual issues themselves.

Couch-Potato 07-30-2020 06:52 PM

I was there 6 months ago. I Negotiated an exit from my Corp job and have never felt better! Lost 25 lbs on Intermittent Fasting and light circuit training. I've camped, hiked and fished 10+ National Parks through CA, NV, UT, CO, KS, NM, and AZ. I finished a 2nd College Degree, took a Harvard Business Course, just started my 12th audiobook, and started a company.

...The key is taking some time to focus on you! Not work, not kids, not wifey. Do something for you! Set goals for you!

The hardest part for me was starting to eat healthy and workout, but if you get through the first 3 weeks or so it becomes tremendously rewarding and it's obvious that this was what I was missing.

notorious 07-30-2020 06:54 PM

I run into a funk like this every once in a while.

As soon as I straighten my diet out and eat right it helps immensely.

I also put down the devices and spend more time with real people.

eDave 07-30-2020 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 15093596)
I was there 6 months ago. I Negotiated an exit from my Corp job and have never felt better! Lost 25 lbs on Intermittent Fasting and light circuit training. I've camped, hiked and fished 10+ National Parks through CA, NV, UT, CO, KS, NM, and AZ. I finished a 2nd College Degree, took a Harvard Business Course, and just started my 12th audiobook.

...The key is taking some time to focus on you! Not work, not kids, not wifey. Do something for you! Set goals for you!

The hardest part for me was starting to eat healthy and workout, but if you get through the first 3 weeks or so it becomes tremendously rewarding and it's obvious that this was what I was missing.

You need a name change, man.

ChiTown 07-30-2020 06:57 PM

It’s pretty simple for me:

1. I Spend my time focusing on the things that I Love - primarily my Family. They’re the focus of almost everything I do. They’re always first in my life. My kids are in College, but nothing has changed. I do whatever I can to be a part of their lives, and to be there whenever they have time for me. With my wife, we’re learning to create a new life for ourselves without kids around 24-7. It’s challenging, but we are committed to being there for each other.

2. I Take time to appreciate the beauty of life, and to be thankful for what I have. Generally speaking, I take 10-15 mins every day, usually EARLY in the morning, and I meditate. I clear my mind and allow myself to feel good about all the blessings in my life. I don’t allow the negative to come into my mind. It’s so relaxing, so peaceful. The perfect start to my day.

3. Exercise. Honest to God, without exercise, life would be tough for me. I set up small goals each week to accomplish. Nothing major, but something to achieve. Some days it’s just 20 mins on the bike, and other days it’s 60 mins of cardio and weights. But I get up and sweat every day. There’s nothing that charges my batteries more than that.

4. I stopped hanging out or surrounding myself with negative people. I don’t like moping and being an asshole. I’m 53 years old. I don’t want to spend what’s left of my life being a miserable prick because of the company I keep - ChiefsPlanet peeps excluded :)

5. Last but not least - make life bigger than yourself. Everyone has talents that they care share, so share them! Volunteer your time with people that need help. Yeah, it can be uncomfortable, but volunteering helped me make sense of my own life. It feels so good to bring happiness to others, when your only reward is a smile. I love my job, but I’m not making the world a better place by what I do. Volunteering gives me that sense that I’m actually helping and contributing. It’s chicken soup for the soul.

You can do this, Mecca. The first step is your willingness to make some changes. If you can’t find the willingness to do it for yourself, then do it for the ones that love you the most. They’ll appreciate it, and you’ll begin to find purpose in life once again. Good luck!

mr. tegu 07-30-2020 07:03 PM

The key is to challenge the negative thoughts and feelings when they occur. They are typically unwanted and often intrusive in that they seemingly come out of nowhere. When you get those negative thoughts and feelings and don’t deal with them as they arise, they continue to become “normal” to you to the point that they become true and believable in your mind.

Also, a huge problem for most people is that one negative thought causes a flood of emotions and all negative thoughts or events associated with those unpleasant emotions come back even if the thought or event happened long ago or was something you weren’t even triggered by. This happens very quickly, is overwhelming, and leads to a sense of hopelessness like it’s too much to deal with.

You have to challenge the negative thoughts and emotions. You will find they are typically illogical and make no sense.

scho63 07-30-2020 07:05 PM

I can speak to this with first hand knowledge and action I took:

I was making $115-125,000 working 75-80 hours a week while living in Northern Virginia. I became burnt out, fat, tired and no direction.

I quit my job to the shock of everyone, gave away everything I owned minus my summer clothes and some personal momentos that would fit in my car.

I drove to Scottsdale AZ in March 2017 with no job, no place to live, no family or friends here.

I found an incredible place to live, took 6 months off, went to the gym everyday and lost 80 pounds.

I spent the rest of the time by the pool in the sun relaxing or chilling out.

I also did volunteer work raising money for Foster children.

One of the greatest decisions of my life.

Jenson71 07-30-2020 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 15093417)
This is one of the best and most important threads in CP history

No doubt. I’m bookmarking this stuff.

Dayze 07-30-2020 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 15093621)

I was making $115-125,000 working 75-80 hours a week while living in Northern Virginia. I became burnt out, fat, tired and no direction.

I quit my job to the shock of everyone, gave away everything I owned minus my summer clothes and some personal momentos that would fit in my car.

I drove to Scottsdale AZ in March 2017 with no job, no place to live, no family or friends here.

I found an incredible place to live, took 6 months off, went to the gym everyday and lost 80 pounds.

Wow. Yeah, now that you mention it, I think you did a thread on it way back when?

I remembering thinking at the time “damn that sounds awesome”

Eureka 07-30-2020 07:12 PM

Seems this can happen to everyone no matter what their doing with their lives. It's good that you recognize it and you'll notice the posts in this thread guys did something about it because if not something is going to give. Again, good thing you're recognizing it. Some good advice in this thread from guys who can be open to talk in a forum like this when in person men tend to not be that way. Although I would definitely recommend you not cloud your brain with weed lol.

I just turned 40 this week and I went through something like the OP is going through about five years back. I decided to make a change and the big two changes were meditation (in the morning) and Bikram Yoga. I didn't know that at the time but these two exercises gave me the strength to get to where I wanted to be. Which was being happy about/with life. All of a sudden I had extra energy to do what was needed and I could relax/rest when need. I think Meditation could be helpful for everyone. Takes 5 min in the morning.

In these past 5 years lots has changed for me. After years of choosing to be a bachelor I ended up meeting a woman (who is now my wife) because I was giving back/helping others. I bought a bad ass BMX to ride around because well I enjoy it. I let go of a GTO that I cherished many many years back that I regretted selling so last year I bought one because it made me smile when driving it. This Saturday I'm going to have my first child a son. And it's all due to me doing something to get out of that rut and changing my thinking. Again, meditation helped a lot.

OP I'll leave you with a video that I have watched hundreds of time. I could probably give the speech myself at this point. It helped me with work and other things in life. Some quotes from the video I like are "Change your stinkin thinking" and "People who don't take step number one never take step number two". Hope all the responses you've received in this thread give you a way to go and don't forget you're not the only one to go through what you're going through.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/3irmfCEhFJQ" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

mlyonsd 07-30-2020 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 15093332)
I've gone through what I call slumps, where I'm burned out and don't feel much happiness in things where I should.

I just got back from the longest vacation I've taken in a long long time, expecting to be rejuvenated, but I'm very fatigued. I do feel more relaxed.

When I'm in a slump where I'm struggling with motivation, Just ****ing make myself stay on my feet when I get home from work, change my clothes and go outside and "do 1 thing". I'll go work in my shop, or spray a tank of roundup or just accomplish 1 thing before I go let myself sit and do the family thing. I've struggled with relaxing for a long time, and have too many side hustles sometimes.

In short, I just make myself plow through it and stay busy and eventually come out on top.

Same. I just pick something I'm dreading or putting off then go ahead and do it. The instant gratification I get when I'm done pushes me through the doldrums every time.

Boise_Chief 07-30-2020 07:19 PM

Not work related but totally burnt out on news and media. I still turn it on in the morning with coffee but the first thing that tweaks me off it goes. Occasionally I even see the weather.

What you are talking about I have fought thru the years. I have used games to stimulate my mind soduko, solitaire a, trivia etc. The key is a time limit i did 20 mins. Then I would force myself to go... attack whatever I should do weather it is brush my teeth submit bids, really whatever. Try to do each thing you need to do immediately. You would be surprised how much time we waste getting going. Schedule your time for you in whatever you enjoy regardless of if you feel like it. Idk it works for me. Also I have many ****s because I refuse to give any to anyone else.

eDave 07-30-2020 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 15093621)

That was straight up bad ass.