ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life So found out my cat is diabetic.. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=338782)

Mecca 06-21-2021 12:40 PM

So found out my cat is diabetic..

Anyone have any experience in having a pet with this condition and what that's like?

KC_Lee 06-21-2021 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15715910)
Anyone have any experience in having a pet with this condition and what that's like?

Had a diabetic cat. Changed his food from dry to pate, made sure he got is insulin every 12 hours and kept an eye on his litter box for any larger than normal clumps of litter signifying excess urine.

It's not a death sentence or really anything to be to concerned about. My cat lived 7 years after his diagnosis and passed when he was 13 years old.

And one more tip; if you have to give your cat insulin, buy your own syringes. Much cheaper than getting them from the vet.

Mecca 06-21-2021 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Lee (Post 15715927)
Had a diabetic cat. Changed his food from dry to pate, made sure he got is insulin every 12 hours and kept an eye on his litter box for any larger than normal clumps of litter signifying excess urine.

It's not a death sentence or really anything to be to concerned about. My cat lived 7 years after his diagnosis and passed when he was 13 years old.

And one more tip; if you have to give your cat insulin, buy your own syringes. Much cheaper than getting them from the vet.

Figured the food thing was coming, I have 4 cats so trying to regulate 1 of them is going to be interesting to say the least. And yea he lost weight and started pissing like a horse so I suspected this was the issue.

He's still strong and does his normal thing so I'm thinking we got him pretty early with it that or his isn't to bad.

KC_Lee 06-21-2021 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15715946)
Figured the food thing was coming, I have 4 cats so trying to regulate 1 of them is going to be interesting to say the least. And yea he lost weight and started pissing like a horse so I suspected this was the issue.

He's still strong and does his normal thing so I'm thinking we got him pretty early with it that or his isn't to bad.

We had another cat as well, so both of them switched to pate canned food. And it wasn't anything special for the food just Friskies pate cat food. And since you caught it early it can be managed easily.

ModSocks 06-21-2021 12:59 PM

SEE THIS IS WHAT HAPPENS WHEN YOU FEED YOUR CAT SUGAR ALL TEH TIME!

htismaqe 06-21-2021 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15715946)

We have over a dozen cats. Some of them have dietary restrictions (we're an overflow for the rescue league).

You need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/SureFlap-MPF0..._t1_B00DRBFBVM

ModSocks 06-21-2021 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15715976)
We have over a dozen cats.

You'd love my mother in law...

Mecca 06-21-2021 01:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15715976)
We have over a dozen cats. Some of them have dietary restrictions (we're an overflow for the rescue league).

You need something like this:

https://www.amazon.com/SureFlap-MPF0..._t1_B00DRBFBVM

Damn that's crazy, the other issue I may have is the diabetic cat is the alpha and always has been so not sure how he's gonna like this.

htismaqe 06-21-2021 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15715980)
You'd love my mother in law...

I hate mine so I'm sure she'd be an improvement.

ModSocks 06-21-2021 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15715983)
I hate mine so I'm sure she'd be an improvement.

lulz

htismaqe 06-21-2021 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15715981)
Damn that's crazy, the other issue I may have is the diabetic cat is the alpha and always has been so not sure how he's gonna like this.

They work, we actually have 3 and different cats have different chips so they can only eat from certain bowls. Works pretty well actually.

htismaqe 06-21-2021 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 15715986)
lulz

I'm in a bad way right now, man. :(

Mecca 06-21-2021 01:47 PM

My hope with this is we can get him under control and he won't get shots everyday forever.

KC_Lee 06-21-2021 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15716055)
My hope with this is we can get him under control and he won't get shots everyday forever.

Not to rain on your hopes, but you're more than likely in for shots everyday. Best you can hope for is lower dosages of insulin based on your cat's bloodwork.

eDave 06-21-2021 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 15715910)

My ex's cat has it and we maintained it for 12 years. Two insulin shots daily and special food.

If maintained, your kitty will be fine.