ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football NFL Possibly considering forcing Chargers to Move Back to San Diego? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310276)

TinyEvel 09-22-2017 01:09 PM

NFL Possibly considering forcing Chargers to Move Back to San Diego?

Sites low attendance in soccer Stadium so far. Duh. Yes, nice distraction as we come into town.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/nfl-rep...010040080.html

Could the NFL really send the Chargers back to San Diego? It's something being discussed, according to longtime NFL reporter Don Banks.

The former Sports Illustrated reporter, who has worked for NFL Media and currently writes for The Athletic, told a San Diego radio station on Thursday the NFL never wanted to lose San Diego as a market and could force Chargers owner Dean Spanos to take the team back.

"I have been painted a picture from people I’ve talked to that the league was sympathetic … to Dean Spanos’ plight," Banks told The Mighty 1090. "Feels like he had been a ‘league guy’ feels like he had waited kind of his turn on the relocation front, thought he had the votes the year before — Jerry Jones and Stan Kroenke pretty much outmaneuvered Dean and Mark Davis with the Raiders to be the first in line for LA. So it was almost as if this was a bit of a make up.

"There are people in the league — including the commissioner — they did not want to see San Diego forsaken. They would rather there be a team in San Diego. If there’s anything viable that they could find to put the league back in to San Diego, I think they will be in that camp strongly."

The Chargers failed to sell out their temporary home, the 27,000-seat StubHub Center, in their home opener last Sunday. Banks wrote at The Athletic the NFL is shocked by how quickly things have gone south for the Chargers in L.A. As the Rams struggle to draw fans to the L.A. Coliseum, Banks said the NFL does not want the bad "optics" of empty stadiums for three years before the Rams and Chargers are scheduled to move into a new Inglewood stadium in 2020.

ThaVirus 09-22-2017 01:11 PM

That whole situation is a mess and, quite frankly, it's embarrassing.

TLO 09-22-2017 01:12 PM

Because they are the Chargers

Shag 09-22-2017 01:14 PM

LA struggling to support two NFL teams? Shocker. Who could have ever seen that coming?

Would love to see this happen, but not holding my breath.

DaneMcCloud 09-22-2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 13096537)
LA struggling to support two NFL teams? Shocker. Who could have ever seen that coming?

Would love to see this happen, but not holding my breath.

The Rams organization knew that it would be difficult to rebuild the fan base while playing in the Coliseum and it's a shame that Kroenke World was delayed by a year.

Once it's completed, Goff should be in his prime and the team should be pretty good.

No one wanted the Chargers in town. Not the mayor, not the citizens, no one.

ChiefsCountry 09-22-2017 01:20 PM

NFL shouldn't have put in the restriction in selling luxury suites at Kroenkeworld that they couldn't pre-sale those until they have two NFL teams in the stadium.

New ownership and rebrand would be the best option in their current situation.

Eureka 09-22-2017 01:25 PM

Chargers belong in SD. Hopefully they can come to a deal about building a new stadium. Is Qualcom really that bad?

Shag 09-22-2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eureka (Post 13096552)
Is Qualcom really that bad?

Yes. It's a complete shithole.

Shaid 09-22-2017 01:27 PM

They belong in SD but for them to make that move, they'd need to change owners and then have the new owner say he was moving them back to SD "where they belonged"

Shag 09-22-2017 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13096542)
The Rams organization knew that it would be difficult to rebuild the fan base while playing in the Coliseum and it's a shame that Kroenke World was delayed by a year.

Once it's completed, Goff should be in his prime and the team should be pretty good.

I'm still shocked the NFL signed off on the Chargers move. Anyone could see it's destined to fail. I have a hard time believing they won't move again within 5 years.

Hoover 09-22-2017 01:30 PM

They should return to San Diago, but I fear that major damage has been done.

I think the NFL should take an ownership stake in the team, either tear down or update the Q, but long term I think they need to look at selling that team. Man what a shit ownership group.

Hoover 09-22-2017 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 13096557)

Half the lights went out in the middle of a college game this weekend.

gblowfish 09-22-2017 01:31 PM

Move the Chargers to San Antonio. Football will never fail in Texas.

JakeF 09-22-2017 01:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 13096532)
That whole situation is a mess and, quite frankly, it's embarrassing.

Absolutely, trying to go from 0 teams in LA to 2 teams was a stupid idea. You start with a single team and see what happens before increasing your market load.

notorious 09-22-2017 01:41 PM

The only way Chargers end up back in SD is with a new owner.

The fans HATE that piece of shit.

sd4chiefs 09-22-2017 01:42 PM

Quote:

Chargers belong in SD. Hopefully they can come to a deal about building a new stadium. Is Qualcom really that bad?

Yes, Qualcomm is a sh*t hole and San Diego will never approve a new stadium unless the owner and the NFL pays for it.

BlackHelicopters 09-22-2017 01:44 PM

****ed up mess. Is the NFL trying to alienate fans? Going to any stadium is a nightmare. That's why we have big screens.

Why Not? 09-22-2017 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 13096557)

Only stadium I've ever been in where I had honest concern that it may collapse on me.

Tribal Warfare 09-22-2017 02:02 PM

NFL,pulling their iteration of SOC

NWTF 09-22-2017 02:14 PM

I dont think placing them back in San Diego will work. Not that the NFL wouldnt attempt it, but I dont think they will be welcomed.

You now have the Rams in LA, and the Raiders soon to be in LV which are both more popular and better draws than the Chargers. The Raiders already had a lot of fans in San Diego. I dont think theres enough fan support for the Chargers in So Cal.

Maybe they will become the London team the NFL wants by 2020.

Shag 09-22-2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWTF (Post 13096621)
I dont think placing them back in San Diego will work. Not that the NFL wouldnt attempt it, but I dont think they will be welcomed.

You now have the Rams in LA, and the Raiders soon to be in LV which are both more popular and better draws than the Chargers. The Raiders already had a lot of fans in San Diego. I dont think theres enough fan support for the Chargers in So Cal.

Nah, with a new owner, and an owner-funded stadium, SD would welcome the Chargers back with open arms.

DJ's left nut 09-22-2017 02:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 13096529)
The Chargers failed to sell out their temporary home, the 27,000-seat StubHub Center, in their home opener last Sunday. Banks wrote at The Athletic the NFL is shocked by how quickly things have gone south for the Chargers in L.A. As the Rams struggle to draw fans to the L.A. Coliseum, Banks said the NFL does not want the bad "optics" of empty stadiums for three years before the Rams and Chargers are scheduled to move into a new Inglewood stadium in 2020.

Oh like hell they are.

They're just worried that the league's already getting a bit of a rep as a 'waning' property and they don't want television audiences seeing a 1/2 stadium only 1/2 full.

They knew full well that the Chargers were ****ed, they just didn't care because they were fired up about that sweet, sweet relocation fee. And when all is said and done, they'll only let Spanos out of it (to go back to a spurned and furious city) if they think they're about to get waxed in the next round of TV rights agreements and this may somehow salvage those.

It won't. They won't. The genie is out of the bottle here, IMO.

TinyEvel 09-22-2017 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd4chiefs (Post 13096577)
Yes, Qualcomm is a sh*t hole and San Diego will never approve a new stadium unless the owner and the NFL pays for it.

This befuddles me. I've been to QC several times over the last decade (Though not in the past 5 years) and never really thought of it as decrepit.

I mean, you park, you walk in, you sit down, watch football, drink, piss, repeat. What's so bad about it?

I mean, the new arrowhead is fine. The club level is really nice. I guess they don't have that there? They should just sell the team to someone who's not a dick?

BTW after living in LA my whole life I can firsthand confirm everyone's comments about us being a non-loyal sports town. Too much to do, and most people from other places.

Spott 09-22-2017 02:24 PM

Just send them to St Louis so KC can get an extra home game every year.

2bikemike 09-22-2017 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sd4chiefs (Post 13096577)

^ This right here!

bsp4444 09-22-2017 02:38 PM

M

BigRedChief 09-22-2017 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 13096628)
BTW after living in LA my whole life I can firsthand confirm everyone's comments about us being a non-loyal sports town. Too much to do, and most people from other places.

some of this is true in Florida. Mainly baseball because there is 162 games. Too much to do down here to commit to that many games.

gblowfish 09-22-2017 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 13096583)
Only stadium I've ever been in where I had honest concern that it may collapse on me.

Did you ever go to the old Pile High? That stadium was built like a tinkertoy. The metal stands would bounce up and down. Scared the shit outta me.

vailpass 09-22-2017 02:56 PM

St. Louis Chargers

MahomesMagic 09-22-2017 02:57 PM

Good, glad to see the LA money grab failing.

Randallflagg 09-22-2017 02:57 PM

Quote:

Yes, yes it is. I went there to see the SDSU Vs Naval Academy a few years back and it was the biggest junk heap of a "stadium" that I have ever been in. The concrete was cracking - looked like it might give way at any time. The concessions were a total joke and the bathrooms? I've seen better in 100 year old jails.

Seriously, I don't blame the Chargers for leaving - that place was awful.

displacedinMN 09-22-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 13096563)
They should return to San Diago, but I fear that major damage has been done.

I think the NFL should take an ownership stake in the team, either tear down or update the Q, but long term I think they need to look at selling that team. Man what a shit ownership group.

COuld the NFL force the sale of the team??????????

displacedinMN 09-22-2017 03:04 PM

not st. louis. They do not deserve another chance at an NFL team. Ever.

ChiefGator 09-22-2017 03:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13096653)
some of this is true in Florida. Mainly baseball because there is 162 games. Too much to do down here to commit to that many games.

It is very true of the ol' Devil Ray games in the Trop. When I lived there the Yankee-Devil Ray games were always the most full, and it wasn't Devil Ray fans. When they introduced the two teams, it was obvious the place was mostly Yankees fans. I think I heard a recent Cubs-Rays game was the same way.

Reerun_KC 09-22-2017 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 13096672)

Idk. But I go to LA tomorrow. Gonna ask my boss if he is going to look back into NFL ownership. He's itching to get into that group. Owns NBA, WNBA and some other stuff. NFL is on his short list.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wazu 09-22-2017 03:32 PM

Stadium should be nice and full this Sunday. And if optics are so critical they might want to consider lowering prices.

Easy 6 09-22-2017 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 13096565)
Move the Chargers to San Antonio. Football will never fail in Texas.

I could not agree more

St Louis didnt support their team any better, and maybe even worse, than San Diego

And going San Diego itself will almost certainly never fly, theres just too much bad blood at this point

But San Antonio, Texas? You just know they have the rabid football fan population down there to keep an owner fat and happy

Rams Fan 09-22-2017 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 13096672)

LMAO

NFL isn't coming back to St. Louis anytime soon, so...

PutQuinnIn 09-22-2017 07:54 PM

Spanos made a BILLION dollars moving the franchise to the LA market, they aren't going anywhere.

tk13 09-22-2017 07:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13096945)
I could not agree more

St Louis didnt support their team any better, and maybe even worse, than San Diego

And going San Diego itself will almost certainly never fly, theres just too much bad blood at this point

But San Antonio, Texas? You just know they have the rabid football fan population down there to keep an owner fat and happy

This is a great post filled with 100% sound logic, but Jerry Jones will personally drive to your home and spear each and every one of you in the face with a trident before he ever allows this to happen.

Easy 6 09-22-2017 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 13096960)
This is a great post filled with 100% sound logic, but Jerry Jones will personally drive to your home and spear each and every one of you in the face with a trident before he ever allows this to happen.

LMAO

Calcountry 09-22-2017 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TinyEvel (Post 13096628)

Not to mention the Traffic. But then, the Dodgers NEVER EVER had a problem selling their product.

DaneMcCloud 09-22-2017 08:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calcountry (Post 13097000)
Not to mention the Traffic. But then, the Dodgers NEVER EVER had a problem selling their product.

Either did the Rams, until Georgia moved them to Anaheim

TribalElder 09-22-2017 08:32 PM

lol @ London chargers

Phyllis has been commuting

Calcountry 09-22-2017 09:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13097008)
Either did the Rams, until Georgia moved them to Anaheim

Were they ever sure how her husband died mysteriously. I am such a conspiracy theorist. Watched way to many episodes of Columbo.

DaneMcCloud 09-22-2017 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Calcountry (Post 13097051)
Were they ever sure how her husband died mysteriously. I am such a conspiracy theorist. Watched way to many episodes of Columbo.

She was a stripper. She killed him, plain and simple.

The dude was an experienced diver that drowned in his own swimming pool.

Talk about fishy...

Calcountry 09-22-2017 09:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13097065)

Talk about fishy...

Considering your location in Socal your word carries weight.

Calcountry 09-22-2017 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13097065)

Talk about fishy...

But why stop with football. That Skank the old dude was pretending to be with stole the Clippers from him.

DaFace 09-22-2017 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PutQuinnIn (Post 13096956)
Spanos made a BILLION dollars moving the franchise to the LA market, they aren't going anywhere.

Gonna have to call for a source on that one.

DaneMcCloud 09-22-2017 09:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13097096)
Gonna have to call for a source on that one.

The Chargers franchise only increase by $200 million by moving from SD to LA

DaFace 09-22-2017 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13097101)
The Chargers franchise only increase by $200 million by moving from SD to LA

Even at that, that's just by somebody's estimate. There's nothing that definitively says that he would be able to sell the team for more in L.A. with 10k fans attending games vs. San Diego with a full stadium.

Couch-Potato 09-22-2017 09:45 PM

Lower ticket prices for christ sake! I paid 1/4th as much 2 years ago in SD as I did this year in LA to see Charger vs Chiefs

Hoover 09-22-2017 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13097105)
Even at that, that's just by somebody's estimate. There's nothing that definitively says that he would be able to sell the team for more in L.A. with 10k fans attending games vs. San Diego with a full stadium.

The Rams are worth a billion more and its because the own the stadium.

DaFace 09-22-2017 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 13097121)
The Rams are worth a billion more and its because the own the stadium.

Again, by someone's estimate. I don't get much out of those things since they're all hypothetical.

Buehler445 09-22-2017 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13096542)

Kroenke did. He wanted his stadium paid for. :D

I would pay good money to hear how that conversation went down.

KChiefs1 09-22-2017 10:51 PM

Albuquerque Chargers has a nice ring to it.

Cornstock 09-23-2017 01:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13096945)
I could not agree more

Put a stadium halfway between Austin and San Antonio and you're good. As an Austinite, this beats the he'll out of driving 3 hours to Dallas or Houston for a game.

Do a color scheme reboot like the rams did, add more black to fit in with the San Antonio vibe. For whatever reason San Antonioans associate themselves with the black and white spurs colors. They would have no problem selling out games, especially if they market it as South Texas's team.

Realistically, if they were to move back to San Diego, they would need some city money, and San Diego's city leadership is in such disarray that this would never happen. Qualcomm's location is good and accessible via light rail, but they need a new facility. It is literally falling apart. Feel free to Google some of the giant slabs of cement falling during the off-season.

South central Texas is football hungry. Bring us a team.

oldman 09-23-2017 06:30 AM

Jerry Jones will never allow another team in Texas. Moving back to SD makes some sense, but there is so much bad blood between the fans and Spanos I don't know that will work. Maybe it is time for the NFL to force a sale.

TimeForWasp 09-23-2017 07:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NWTF (Post 13096621)

I don't see how 1 team in London could work at all. You would have to have a whole division in europe or it would be AFU

InChiefsHeaven 09-23-2017 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 13097148)
Albuquerque Chargers has a nice ring to it.

All kidding aside...the Mexico City Chargers...NFL wants to break into that South of the Border market, and as I recall, the Mexico City games have been well attended. I wouldn't be surprised to see that...

Easy 6 09-23-2017 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 13097261)
All kidding aside...the Mexico City Chargers...NFL wants to break into that South of the Border market, and as I recall, the Mexico City games have been well attended. I wouldn't be surprised to see that...

London, Mexico... I think it's BS to ask players to move to a foreign country to play American football

SAUTO 09-23-2017 08:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13096653)

What did this have to do with anything? No one was talking about Florida. We all know you live there...

B_Ambuehl 09-23-2017 08:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cornstock (Post 13097191)
Put a stadium halfway between Austin and San Antonio and you're good. As an Austinite, this beats the he'll out of driving 3 hours to Dallas or Houston for a game.
South central Texas is football hungry. Bring us a team.

Anywhere in south texas the entire stadium would be sold out within days and have a 5 year waiting list. The fans would be totally rabid and appreciative.

Hoover 09-23-2017 08:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl (Post 13097283)
Anywhere in south texas the entire stadium would be sold out within days and have a 5 year waiting list. The fans would be totally rabid and appreciative.

Yep. Go where there is fan support.

GloucesterChief 09-23-2017 09:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13097272)
London, Mexico... I think it's BS to ask players to move to a foreign country to play American football

Not a problem for the NBA, NHL, or MLB. Even MLS.

Frazod 09-23-2017 09:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by InChiefsHell (Post 13097261)

Who the **** wants to live there?

Hoover 09-23-2017 09:49 AM

The Cabo San Lucas Chargers!

GloucesterChief 09-23-2017 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13097331)
Who the **** wants to live there?

Mexico City is kind of a shit hole but Monterrey is nicer, closer, and richer.

Frazod 09-23-2017 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GloucesterChief (Post 13097339)
Mexico City is kind of a shit hole but Monterrey is nicer, closer, and richer.

And it's still in Mexico. Playing the occasional game there is one thing. Moving there, living there permanently, raising a family there, is quite another. We're not talking Canada here.

Even for the SJWs, remember, they aren't exactly live-by-example types.

KChiefs1 09-23-2017 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 13097334)
The Cabo San Lucas Chargers!

I'd attend that game every single year.

DaneMcCloud 09-23-2017 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13097105)

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13097126)
Again, by someone's estimate. I don't get much out of those things since they're all hypothetical.

Sure, Forbes is making an educated estimate but in reality, they've always projected way too low.

Who in their right mind thought that the Clippers would sell for $2 billion? The Clippers were the NBA equivalent to the Chargers. An Also-Ran laughingstock that never won a championship and didn't own or play it their own dedicated facility.

While the sale to Ballmer shocked outsiders, NBA owners were absolutely thrilled because the valuation of their teams, especially those in large markets, have risen considerably. Ballmer's announced that he's building a facility exclusively for the Clippers, just across from Kroenke World, which will raise the value of the franchise even further.

The NBA just closed a monster television contract, which further ensures that NBA owners have become a "Can't Miss" league on the level of the NFL.

DaneMcCloud 09-23-2017 10:37 AM

The bottom line is that Spanos family has no business running an NFL franchise. 98% of their Net Worth is tied to the Chargers, making it impossible for them to build their own facility in ANY state or municipality. Taxpayers in California want nothing to do with subsidizing billionaire football owners.

Kroenke had a cold, calculated plan that began the microsecond he bought into the Rams. His facility will be the NFL's "Mecca" and you can damn sure bet that he won't run the team like he did in St. Louis, which we've already witnessed in hiring McVay, Wade Phillips and so on.

The Rams will win and people will attend Kroenke World in droves. If the Rams win in the meantime, more people will attend the Coliseum and he'll have a Win-Win situation until 2020.

Passepartout 09-23-2017 10:39 AM

Yeah but the Chargers will only go back with a new owner and a new stadium. Which doubt they will get both!

Rausch 09-23-2017 10:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13097379)
The Rams will win and people will attend Kroenke World in droves.

LMAO

BlackOp 09-23-2017 10:41 AM

"Spanos agreed to pay a $645 million relocation fee, which means the 30 other owners have a financial incentive not to let the Chargers leave L.A. (each team gets a $21.5 million cut of the relocation fee, with the exception of the Rams and Chargers)."

This will be the real reason if KC loses tomorrow.....

DaneMcCloud 09-23-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13097385)
LMAO

You're disputing this? Why?

In preseason last year, the Rams broke a record for attendance at nearly 100,000 people.

The Coliseum is a piece of shit. Now, if you're a USC grad, it's "home", which is why it's sold out for each game, but USC grad's aren't necessarily Rams or NFL fans.

Once the new stadium is built, it'll be a go-to destination.

jdubya 09-23-2017 12:33 PM

Move the Chargers to Vegas and keep the Raiders in Oakland

Halfcan 09-23-2017 02:32 PM

Move the Chargers and their dipshit owner to North Dakota as a punishment for being so greedy and stupid. The Fargo Chargers would draw just as many fans as they do now.

Of course, these fair weather pussies would have to play in the cold, so they would rarely win.

MMXcalibur 09-23-2017 02:42 PM

The NFL deserves this situation.

BleedingRed 09-23-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13097390)
You're disputing this? Why?

In preseason last year, the Rams broke a record for attendance at nearly 100,000 people.

The Coliseum is a piece of shit. Now, if you're a USC grad, it's "home", which is why it's sold out for each game, but USC grad's aren't necessarily Rams or NFL fans.

Once the new stadium is built, it'll be a go-to destination.

Cowboys hold that title in NFL anyways