ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Computers Data Recovery (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=317420)

BigRichard 09-13-2018 03:09 PM

Data Recovery

Anyone know a business or company that won't charge an arm and a leg to recover data off of a thumb drive that Windows won't recognize anymore? My brother was keeping his business data on a thumb drive but now he can't even get Windows to recognize it.

And yes, I already lectured him on keeping importing shit like that on a thumb drive and also not backing up said data.

Fish 09-13-2018 03:32 PM

Sorry, but there's really not any cheap data recovery services that I know of. It's going to sting if you have to take it somewhere.

Have you tried any software solutions? There's lots of options that will let you download the software and scan to see if the data can be recovered before you actually have to pay to have the data saved.

BigRichard 09-13-2018 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13729031)
Sorry, but there's really not any cheap data recovery services that I know of. It's going to sting if you have to take it somewhere.

Have you tried any software solutions? There's lots of options that will let you download the software and scan to see if the data can be recovered before you actually have to pay to have the data saved.

Only problem is it is hardware related. If Windows can't even see it there isn't any software solutions that will fix that that I know of.

Fish 09-13-2018 03:43 PM

If you know it's hardware related, then he's probably ****ed without dropping some serious change. The data recovery service that we use when a user has a hardware failure with no backups charges ~$2000 for the service. If they don't recover anything, you don't have to pay it. But that's a lot of money if you want it back.

BigRichard 09-13-2018 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13729046)
If you know it's hardware related, then he's probably ****ed without dropping some serious change. The data recovery service that we use when a user has a hardware failure with no backups charges ~$2000 for the service. If they don't recover anything, you don't have to pay it. But that's a lot of money if you want it back.

Thanks Fish

scho63 09-14-2018 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 13728997)
Anyone know a business or company that won't charge an arm and a leg to recover data off of a thumb drive that Windows won't recognize anymore? My brother was keeping his business data on a thumb drive but now he can't even get Windows to recognize it.

And yes, I already lectured him on keeping importing shit like that on a thumb drive and also not backing up said data.

Are you sure it's the thumb drive that is not working and not a bad USB port?

Do you know when the last time anyone accessed the thumb drive and what OS was on it?

What type of files? Quickbooks? Outlook? Excel? Adobe?

Something isn't making sense about this. Windows won't stop recognizing a thumb drive that it once accessed.

Fish 09-14-2018 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 13730448)
Are you sure it's the thumb drive that is not working and not a bad USB port?

Do you know when the last time anyone accessed the thumb drive and what OS was on it?

What type of files? Quickbooks? Outlook? Excel? Adobe?

Something isn't making sense about this. Windows won't stop recognizing a thumb drive that it once accessed.

That's not correct.