ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Glass (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316413)

RunKC 07-23-2018 10:28 PM

Glass

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/95ghQs5AmNk" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

M. Night Shyamalan flick with Bruce Willis, James McAvoy and Samuel L Jackson.

Looks very intriguing

007 07-25-2018 03:51 AM

Found this kind of interesting to watch.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tskgZ4GUsx0" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

BWillie 07-29-2018 11:01 AM

YES.

Should have been done years ago before Sam L and Brucie Willis got so old, though.

kysirsoze 07-29-2018 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 13649024)
YES.

Should have been done years ago before Sam L and Brucie Willis got so old, though.

I actually think that will make it even better, but we'll see. The delay also made the reveal in Split even more astounding.

I actually didn't see Split till long after it came out. Saw it on HBO and somehow hadn't had that spoiled for me. It was extremely surreal to suddenly have it tied to a movie like Unbreakable that I liked so much. Pretty fun.

Baby Lee 10-11-2018 12:39 PM

<iframe width="637" height="358" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Q7ztHi9ejp4" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Fish 10-12-2018 07:16 AM

Maybe it's just me, but this looks dumb...

-King- 10-13-2018 02:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13808807)

I never got the hype over the two movies existing in the same universe. Can't believe it's an actual thing and not just some fan fiction
Posted via Mobile Device

Coochie liquor 10-22-2018 03:39 PM

I think it looks bad ass! Saw the trailer on the big screen before Halloween yesterday! I’m in!

BWillie 01-10-2019 08:03 PM

Well damn, early Rotten Tomatoes reviews are not good. Only at 36% right now - 36 reviews.

Sure-Oz 01-11-2019 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 14023646)
Well damn, early Rotten Tomatoes reviews are not good. Only at 36% right now - 36 reviews.

Damn...that sucks.

Stryker 01-11-2019 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13808807)

Nope not just you my friend. Count me in as well.

Gravedigger 01-11-2019 11:17 AM

Building an entirely terrible movie off of a twist is what M. Night is best at. Split's twist was well received so he jumped on the possibility to revitalize his failing Directing career.

BigRichard 01-13-2019 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gravedigger (Post 14024392)
Building an entirely terrible movie off of a twist is what M. Night is best at. Split's twist was well received so he jumped on the possibility to revitalize his failing Directing career.

M. Night had one really good movie and rode it till the lube ran out. He did have a couple of movies after "The Sixth Sense" that weren't complete garbage but had they been by anyone else they probably would have never made much money for the studios.

Split was a decent enough that people thought he might actually be good again but I am far from convinced.

Rausch 01-16-2019 02:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRichard (Post 14036215)
M. Night had one really good movie and rode it till the lube ran out. He did have a couple of movies after "The Sixth Sense" that weren't complete garbage but had they been by anyone else they probably would have never made much money for the studios.

Split was a decent enough that people thought he might actually be good again but I am far from convinced.

He's had a number of good films.

The problem is when it isn't good it's usually terrible...

Easy 6 01-17-2019 01:23 PM

I can't WAIT for this, M Night has such a fresh take on comic heroes, so much better than the tired ass Avengers etc

BWillie 01-17-2019 10:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 14043064)
He's had a number of good films.

The problem is when it isn't good it's usually terrible...

M Night cracks me up. Part of what pisses people off - is they go to a film thinking it's one thing - and it isn't that thing at all.

The Village comes to mind. If you knew coming in you would be mind ****ed somewhere and it's not actually about old house on the prairie life - you might appreciate it more.

Sure-Oz 01-18-2019 01:45 AM

RT score 36% Fan Score 78% sone tweets I've seen I'll wait till it's streaming. Sounds like I'm just better off Watching Unbreakable again

CoMoChief 01-18-2019 02:00 AM

Heard this movie sucks ass.

That's disappointing...I had some hope for this movie.

Easy 6 01-26-2019 09:47 PM

Caught a matinee today

It's no wonder critic and fans opinions are so different on RT

If you're a fan of Unbreakable and Split you'll be be ok, but critics have fair game to chew on as well... this movie could've been better

McAvoy is absolutely brilliant, skinny old Willis still inhabits his role nicely, Jackson had one of his best turns in a while... but I left with the sense that their performances were somewhat wasted on a pedestrian ending

It gets a flat B, it draws you in... then disappoints a bit at the end

Frazod 01-26-2019 10:21 PM

I didn't like Unbreakable at all, although it was far better than his later shit (never has one director gotten so much mileage out of one good movie as M. Night Shamalangawhatever). I'd never seen a superhero action movie that was so completely devoid of action.

No interest in seeing this.

Deberg_1990 01-26-2019 10:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14075102)
I didn't like Unbreakable at all, although it was far better than his later shit (never has one director gotten so much mileage out of one good movie as M. Night Shamalangawhatever). I'd never seen a superhero action movie that was so completely devoid of action.

No interest in seeing this.

I haven’t seen all his movies.

But I did like Signs, The Village and that one a few years back with the weird grandparents.

Frazod 01-27-2019 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 14075154)
I haven’t seen all his movies.

But I did like Signs, The Village and that one a few years back with the weird grandparents.

I quit watching his shit after Signs, a movie that features a farmer who sleeps in, never works, and doesn't own a gun, pitted against aliens who are also unarmed, dumb enough to be trapped in pantries, and despite water being poisonous to them, are trying to invade a planet mostly covered in water, where it rains.

sully1983 01-27-2019 10:36 AM

eh I thought it was decent enough but I can see why a lot of the critics criticized the 3rd act . still I give props to M Night for coming up with this trilogy and thought it was cool that the kid that played Bruce Wills' son in Unbreakable came back for this. Overall Glass was entertaining enough for me and McAvoy is flat out superb.

generous 7/10

Just Passin' By 01-27-2019 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14075287)
I quit watching his shit after Signs, a movie that features a farmer who sleeps in, never works, and doesn't own a gun, pitted against aliens who are also unarmed, dumb enough to be trapped in pantries, and despite water being poisonous to them, are trying to invade a planet mostly covered in water, where it rains.

Not to defend the director, but just to touch upon something that I see in a lot of movies with aliens

It seems as if it's very tough to get aliens right, especially when they aren't being ported from long running book or tv series. A lot of that seems to come from having to figure out a way that they can be beaten back by humans, who are pretty much guaranteed to be the lesser race in these encounter movies.

Death by a cold
Death by water
Death by a drunk who flies a dud missile up into the big weapon
Death because killing one means killing them all
and so on

So creatures who are far enough advanced that they can conquer the problem of interstellar travel conveniently forget to vaccinate, have computers that can be hacked by people who've never seen them before (on any level), keep leaving obvious weak points of super weapons exposed, refuse to wear appropriate protective suits, don't max out their DNA potential through genetic engineering, and the like.

And that nonsense arrives from the more honest alternative, which is that aliens who are advanced enough to cross the void are almost certainly going to be advanced enough to take us out with little effort required on their part.

Frazod 01-28-2019 02:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 14076246)
Not to defend the director, but just to touch upon something that I see in a lot of movies with aliens

It seems as if it's very tough to get aliens right, especially when they aren't being ported from long running book or tv series. A lot of that seems to come from having to figure out a way that they can be beaten back by humans, who are pretty much guaranteed to be the lesser race in these encounter movies.

Death by a cold
Death by water
Death by a drunk who flies a dud missile up into the big weapon
Death because killing one means killing them all
and so on

So creatures who are far enough advanced that they can conquer the problem of interstellar travel conveniently forget to vaccinate, have computers that can be hacked by people who've never seen them before (on any level), keep leaving obvious weak points of super weapons exposed, refuse to wear appropriate protective suits, don't max out their DNA potential through genetic engineering, and the like.

And that nonsense arrives from the more honest alternative, which is that aliens who are advanced enough to cross the void are almost certainly going to be advanced enough to take us out with little effort required on their part.

Yep. You'd at least think they'd be bright enough to bring ray guns and umbrellas.

Rausch 02-05-2019 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 14075287)

I've had to learn to change how I describe flicks now. In the past I'd say "yeah, It was a good movie."

Now I see there's a big difference between "I really enjoyed it" and "It's a good movie."

I just don't think "good movies" have glaring plot holes, huge inconsistencies, and obvious oversights. I can understand a continuity error here or there but...eh.

And I haven't gone to see it yet but have watched 3 or 4 reviews where people bring up that Bruce Willis clearly doesn't seem to give a shit. That he's basically phoning it in.

LanTera 02-06-2019 08:49 AM

Well it's a pity, that this movie was not so good

BigRedChief 02-06-2019 08:54 AM

This movie sucked. We had some free tickets that were expiring and had to choose a movie. Besides Macavoy's brilliant performance, it was a train wreck. Willis phones it in. Jackson doesn't do shit until the last 3rd of the movie. Another stupid twist at the end that everyone can see coming. Such a waste of talent and my time. Even with it being free.

Frazod 02-06-2019 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 14092928)
I've had to learn to change how I describe flicks now. In the past I'd say "yeah, It was a good movie."

Now I see there's a big difference between "I really enjoyed it" and "It's a good movie."

I just don't think "good movies" have glaring plot holes, huge inconsistencies, and obvious oversights. I can understand a continuity error here or there but...eh.

And I haven't gone to see it yet but have watched 3 or 4 reviews where people bring up that Bruce Willis clearly doesn't seem to give a shit. That he's basically phoning it in.

I admittedly haven't seen many new Bruce Willis movies, but it seems he's been phoning in performances for some time now. Kevin Smith described directing him as "soul crushing."

ThaVirus 02-06-2019 09:27 PM

Eh, I thought it was worth a watch.

McAvoy really is too good for these films.

ThaVirus 02-06-2019 10:34 PM

Spoiler!

FAX 04-16-2019 09:50 PM

This was a very strange film ...

I just watched it (final credits rolled about 20 minutes ago) and I'm not sure whether I liked it or just "wanted" to like it so much I overlooked a lot of things.

I wouldn't say it sucked. But, like several of his movies, there are suck aspects all bundled up in some positives. I think Shamalamalam needs a writing partner whose job is to remove the suck from his scripts. Considering the casting, this should have been rated 4.5 (out of 5) Pows. It didn't get there for me, unfortunately.

Basically, I just wound up saying, "Damn. That could have been great."

FAX

Easy 6 04-19-2019 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 14210022)
This was a very strange film ...

I just watched it (final credits rolled about 20 minutes ago) and I'm not sure whether I liked it or just "wanted" to like it so much I overlooked a lot of things.

I wouldn't say it sucked. But, like several of his movies, there are suck aspects all bundled up in some positives. I think Shamalamalam needs a writing partner whose job is to remove the suck from his scripts. Considering the casting, this should have been rated 4.5 (out of 5) Pows. It didn't get there for me, unfortunately.

Basically, I just wound up saying, "Damn. That could have been great."

FAX

It did fall short of my expectations as well, after the incredible flic that was “Split” I was prepared for something better

Very uneven to be sure, he spent too much screen time in the hospital... but the secret society ending was pretty cool

burt 04-20-2019 04:35 PM

I really enjoyed it. James McAvoy was AMAZING!!!! BUT I agree with ThaVirus about the ending....