ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink If you could eat any species of zoo animal... (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=353045)

Rain Man 04-12-2024 06:13 PM

If you could eat any species of zoo animal...

...what would you eat?

You may assume the following:

1. It's an animal that had to be humanely culled for some reason, so it's not being killed just to make a meal for you.

2. Any poisons or toxins are removed by an expert chef, so there's no risk to you. And the chef will make it as tasty as possible within the limits of reason for that species.

3. It's a one-time event for zoo publicity or charity or something, so the public is supportive of it. It'll give you a story to tell in future years that you ate a _______

4. You don't have to eat the entire animal. You're just getting one meal.

What's for dinner?

Rain Man 04-12-2024 06:16 PM

This thread was inspired by a comment I made in an unrelated thread, and I may have to keep the same answer.

Panda bear.

Having a panda meal would make for a great story. I would also consider orca. I don't think any zoos have a blue whale, but that would be neat, too.

Rainbarrel 04-12-2024 06:17 PM

As long as the British don't put in pastry. Penguin should be well marbled

FloridaMan88 04-12-2024 06:22 PM

A buffalo after it died from choking and a broken heart.

https://logowik.com/content/uploads/...falo_bills.jpg

Jewish Rabbi 04-12-2024 06:26 PM

Ermine

Womble 04-12-2024 06:27 PM

Eagles fans.

IowaHawkeyeChief 04-12-2024 06:29 PM

Donkey/Bronco...

Red Beans 04-12-2024 06:31 PM

Beaver. Get ya a big ol' sloppy slice of that tail.

Rain Man 04-12-2024 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jewish Rabbi (Post 17480058)
Ermine

<iframe src="https://giphy.com/embed/nZipTf7i0sP8A" width="480" height="312" frameBorder="0" class="giphy-embed" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://giphy.com/gifs/how-dare-you-hdu-nZipTf7i0sP8A">via GIPHY</a></p>

Easy 6 04-12-2024 06:43 PM

Snake, never had it but have heard its like chicken fried in fish grease... I can eat that

srvy 04-12-2024 06:46 PM

Baby shark because of the song.

My second choice would be a freshly clubbed baby seal.

Stewie 04-12-2024 06:51 PM

Elephant. I'd first like to see a cave drawing recipe from prehistoric man just to do it right.

Kellerfox 04-12-2024 07:03 PM

Had zebra a few years ago. Would not recommend.

Pepe Silvia 04-12-2024 07:05 PM

Dolphin Steaks.

Pablo 04-12-2024 07:07 PM

I'd like to devour a young chimpanzee. Gassed humanely of course.

Why Not? 04-12-2024 07:08 PM

A fat barnyard cock.

Dunerdr 04-12-2024 07:09 PM

It’s got to be a zebra them mf haunches looked good af on the Lion King when I was 4.

stumppy 04-12-2024 07:10 PM

Key Deer. I bet those little critters are nice and tender.

Punwit 04-12-2024 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kellerfox (Post 17480093)
Had zebra a few years ago. Would not recommend.

Was it from the light stripe or the dark stripe?

4th and Long 04-12-2024 07:11 PM

The following is merely for informational purpose and perhaps to help those who are indecisive about which zoo animal they would have as a meal.

What 11 Popular Zoo Animals Taste Like (According to People Who Tried Them)

1. Elephant
Elephant feet: part of a complete breakfast! While exploring Mozambique in 1864, Scottish missionary David Livingstone was served this pedal delicacy, cooked in the “native fashion,” one morning. Finding it delicious, the traveler wrote, “It is a whitish mass, slightly gelatinous, and sweet like marrow.” Best of all, the meal came with a healthy side of beer.

2. Giraffe
“Properly prepared, and cooked rare,” pens celebrity chef Hugh Fearnly-Whittingstall, “giraffe’s meat steak can be better than steak or venison. The meat has a natural sweetness that may not be to everybody’s taste, but is certainly to mine when grilled over an open fire.”

3. Penguin
A particularly unflattering description of penguin meat composed by a Belgian seaman in 1898 suggests that it won’t be replacing chicken anytime soon: “If it’s possible to imagine a piece of beef, odiferous cod fish, and a canvas-backed duck roasted together in a pot, with blood and cod-liver oil for sauce, the illustration would be complete.”

4. Galapagos Tortoise
These hardy reptiles were a dietary staple to traveling sailors throughout the 19th century. Though many compared the delicacy to fine veal, a young Charles Darwin was decidedly less enthusiastic. “[The] breastplate roasted … is very good,” his journal grants, “and the young tortoises make excellent soup, but otherwise the meat to my taste is indifferent.”

5. Lion
Apparently, the king of the beasts makes for one tasty taco. A Tampa Bay restaurant began selling these $35 entrees last year before removing them from the menu a few months later. "[It's] surprisingly tasty," said one customer of this exotic grub. "The taste is kind like venison, and the texture is kind of like gator."

6. Python
Looking to capitalize on Florida’s decades-long Burmese python invasion, Evan’s Neighborhood Pizza of Fort Myers now offers “Everglades Pizza” topped with slivers of these 20-foot snakes. “It tastes like chicken but chewier,” said one customer.

7. Camel
It’s the perfect treat for hump day! Eating camel is a fairly common practice in much of the world, especially the Middle East. Chef Anissa Halou claims it reminds him of “a cross between beef and lamb.” Camel steaks are becoming an increasingly popular alternative to conventional red meat in much of Europe and even parts of the U.S.

8. Gorilla
Gorillas are widely hunted down and devoured in parts of Africa, and the simians’ flesh is routinely sold at nearby markets as “bush meat." Flavor-wise, many have cited their cuts as rich, smoky, and veal-like. Speaking of primates, if you’d like to find out what humans taste like without wandering into Hannibal Lecter territory, Vsauce recently posted an excellent video on the subject. (Sorry, everyone. That last part was mildly disturbing.)

9. Hippopotamus
In the words of author and hunter Peter Hathaway Capstick, “It is my personal opinion that hippo meat is one of the finest of game foods … The taste is mild, less than lamb and more than beef, slightly more marbled than usual venison. It tastes exactly like, well, hippo.”

10. Peacock
If you’re searching for an exotic alternative to traditional Thanksgiving fare, look no further. The eponymous host of the popular YouTube series “Dave’s Exotic Foods” stated in a special holiday episode that brined peacock sports a light and very turkey-like flavor. However, if certain medieval critics are to be believed, stocking up on some gas-ex first might be a necessary precaution.

11. Sloth
“It was really, really tough and there really wasn’t much meat,” says American composer Aaron Paul Low, who helped catch and eat an unfortunate sloth on a trip to Peru in 2012. Tired of subsisting on nothing but indigenous fruits, Low claims his party “begrudgingly ate such natural wonders as armadillo, turtle, crocodile, toucan,” and many others. Sloth meat, he says, isn't for the weak-stomached. “[It was] one of the few absolutely disgusting animals we ate.” These adorable tree-climbers are illegal to hunt, but a few luckless specimens still get munched on every year.

BONUS: Panda
Archaeological evidence suggests that prehistoric humans once hunted giant pandas with spears some 10,000 years ago. Since then, the practice has fallen out of favor and no record detailing their flavor is known to exist. However, in 1928, Teddy Roosevelt’s sons Kermit and Theodore IV hunted and ate one while visiting China, but neglected to document its taste.

Punwit 04-12-2024 07:24 PM

In the realm of, "Too scared to procure my own" I'm gonna go with Grizzly Bear and hope it isn't like it sounds.

ptlyon 04-12-2024 07:47 PM

Ostrich. Tastes just like steak.

Graystoke 04-12-2024 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 17480134)
Ostrich. Tastes just like steak.

I was going here as well. I request the KFC Original Recipe as extra crunchy is not as good.

bigjosh 04-12-2024 08:00 PM

To me, the ultimate land predator is a komodo dragon.

I want to skewer one up and roast it over some coals

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

In58men 04-12-2024 08:02 PM

Put me down for a hippo steak

Great Expectations 04-12-2024 08:11 PM

I’ve had a kangaroo steak. It wasn’t my favorite, a lot of iron flavor.

tmax63 04-12-2024 08:57 PM

Nobody has mentioned bear. After eating black bear (my spouse likes it and she refuses to eat game meat), I'd try any of the ursidae family.

Chief Pagan 04-12-2024 09:20 PM

Definitely a chicken.

I can't imagine a chicken from a zoo actually just tastes like a chicken.

Rain Man 04-12-2024 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Pagan (Post 17480200)
Definitely a chicken.

I can't imagine a chicken from a zoo actually just tastes like a chicken.

One time I was wandering around in rural Nepal, and we saw a bunch of jungle chickens. I don't envision chickens living in the wild in a remote jungle, but apparently they can do that. I was impressed. I wonder if they taste different, but I wouldn't want to tangle with a jungle chicken to find out.

big nasty kcnut 04-12-2024 09:37 PM

Wildebeest or Javalina

Why Not? 04-12-2024 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by big nasty kcnut (Post 17480207)
Wildebeest or Javalina

Javelina is okay. A little tough but decent as a jerky or meat stick.

Chief Pagan 04-12-2024 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17480203)
One time I was wandering around in rural Nepal, and we saw a bunch of jungle chickens. I don't envision chickens living in the wild in a remote jungle, but apparently they can do that. I was impressed. I wonder if they taste different, but I wouldn't want to tangle with a jungle chicken to find out.

If I want a jungle chicken, I grab my gun and head to the zoo.

https://facts.net/wp-content/uploads...1692420196.jpg

Ming the Merciless 04-12-2024 10:28 PM

https://static.independent.co.uk/s3f...jpg?width=1200

ChiliConCarnage 04-12-2024 11:18 PM

Grilled Platypus flipper

ChiefsFanatic 04-13-2024 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 17480078)
Snake, never had it but have heard its like chicken fried in fish grease... I can eat that

It tastes fine, but it's the mental hurdle for me. I just couldn't swallow the second bite. Knowing you are eating an animal that isn't commonly food is hard for me.

I am not an adventurous eater, as I grew up dirt poor, drinking well water, and having potato or onion soup 6 nights a week at least. Black pepper from a shaker is the spiciest thing I ate until I was 14, got a job, and bought my own food.

frozenchief 04-13-2024 01:36 AM

I lived in rural Alaska and game was very common - moose, caribou, salmon, halibut and other game was frequently on the menu. More exotic fare that I’ve eaten:

Beluga whale - very dark but quite mild. I ate the meat, not fat. Sautéed in butter it was delicious.

Walrus - tougher than shoe leather and tastes like rancid fish.

Seal - not as tough as walrus but tasted the same. Seal oil was horrible.

Porcupine - pork with a hint of pine

Beaver - ate the legs in fajitas (no joke). Fatty and similar to pork.

Black bear - ate spring black bear before they started eating fish. Similar to pork but with lots more fat.

Brown bear - they eat garbage and smell worse. Not eaten by humans but fed to dogs.

Tundra swan - I think this could be good if prepared correctly but what I ate was over-cooked.

Ducks - I ate multitudes with wild rice. Pretty tasty if you avoid ones that eat fish, like merganzers (sp?)

I aim to go hunting in Africa and I want to eat: zebra, kudu, hippo, sable, eland, and impala. I hear waterbuck can be gross because their coat has a water-repelling oil that will make the meat taste bad.

With that, what would I eat from the zoo? It would have to be an herbivore. Any carnivor or omnivore would taste bad, although alligator is a carnivore and gator tail can taste pretty good. Hippo would rate high on my list of animals. Based on what I’ve eaten so far, beluga would be up there and so would porcupine.

seamonster 04-13-2024 05:41 AM

Eating a beluga whale would be like eating a Golden Retriever. Happy go lucky animals that can be trained to do some wild shit...US Navy had a beluga that could talk.

Pablo 04-13-2024 05:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by seamonster (Post 17480269)
Eating a beluga whale would be like eating a Golden Retriever. Happy go lucky animals that can be trained to do some wild shit...US Navy had a beluga that could talk.

https://i.redd.it/xmcunru17tk71.jpg

alanm 04-13-2024 05:57 AM

Ostrich. I've had it before at the Hu Hot Mongolian Grill. Good stuff, didn't taste like chicken. LMAO

crayzkirk 04-13-2024 06:05 AM

Some sort of reptile; had alligator in New Orleans however it had so much breading I really couldn't tell what it tasted like.

Raiderhater 04-13-2024 06:27 AM

https://media0.giphy.com/media/4Zxu2...=200w.gif&ct=g

Titty Meat 04-13-2024 08:42 AM

Id eat pussy

BWillie 04-13-2024 09:03 AM

Lion. I didn't climb to the top of the food chain for nothin

scho63 04-13-2024 09:15 AM

I'd head over to the petting zoo and get some of those baby lambs.

Grilled over a nice fire with garlic, onion, rosemary and a mustard /apricot / Worcester glace.

scho63 04-13-2024 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 17480349)
Id eat pussy

Before or after you ate ass?

Otter 04-13-2024 09:50 AM

Alligator and snake.

If it weren't for the oppressive heat and humidity I'd make it to the SE more often.

BWillie 04-13-2024 09:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 17480405)
Alligator and snake.

If it weren't for the oppressive heat and humidity I'd make it to the SE more often.

Otter. I would eat otter.

nychief 04-13-2024 09:52 AM

Your mom.

Otter 04-13-2024 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17480407)
Otter. I would eat otter.

Hussy! :harumph: