ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chris Jones not at Chiefs mandatory mini-camp (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=349006)

wazu 06-13-2023 12:41 PM

Chris Jones not at Chiefs mandatory mini-camp

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Chiefs’ four-time Pro Bowl DT Chris Jones, whom Kansas City is open ti signing to a contract extension this summer, is not at the team’s mandatory minicamp today.</p>&mdash; Adam Schefter (@AdamSchefter) <a href="https://twitter.com/AdamSchefter/status/1668689191914315801?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">June 13, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

TLO 06-13-2023 12:42 PM

Oh no.

Anyway...

dlphg9 06-13-2023 12:43 PM

Uh oh, hopefully he isn't holding out.

ptlyon 06-13-2023 12:44 PM

He & Stefon poundin 40's and rollin hoes

TomBarndtsTwin 06-13-2023 12:45 PM

Meh, not worried.

Agent may have advised him don’t risk injury until we get that contract extension inked. It’ll get done eventually and everything will be fine.

dlphg9 06-13-2023 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 16979838)
He & Stefon poundin 40's and rollin hoes

Jones makes a little more sense that Stefon. That stupid pussy just re-signed last year.

TLO 06-13-2023 12:47 PM

Open ti

RunKC 06-13-2023 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 16979834)
Uh oh, hopefully he isn't holding out.

Oh he is and it’s the right move after coming off his best season.

dlphg9 06-13-2023 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 16979840)
Meh, not worried.

Agent may have advised him don’t risk injury until we get that contract extension inked. It’ll get done eventually and everything will be fine.

Hope that is the case instead of things not going well.

dlphg9 06-13-2023 12:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 16979844)
Oh he is and it’s the right move after coming off his best season.

And being in his final season. I'd do the same thing. The only thing is that with the last CBA they made the penalty for holding out pretty steep if the player is under contract, I believe.

Chiefspants 06-13-2023 12:49 PM

Yep. Now is his time to do it. Pay the man, Clark.

dirk digler 06-13-2023 12:50 PM

Smart move by CJ. Not sure what the hold up is getting him extended. Cmon Veach.

comochiefsfan 06-13-2023 12:51 PM

There are some positions you pay for premium talent.

QB, Pass Rusher, Tackle are the unequivocal ones.

Give the guy the bag. He’s worth it.

TribalElder 06-13-2023 12:53 PM

It's neat when players show up and want to be here

TLO 06-13-2023 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comochiefsfan (Post 16979856)
There are some positions you pay for premium talent.

QB, Pass Rusher, Tackle are the unequivocal ones.

Give the guy the bag. He’s worth it.

He'll get it in time for training camp. If he doesn't, then I'll get concerned.

Simply Red 06-13-2023 01:06 PM

I have a bad feeling about this actually, been thinking about it for a few days.

ptlyon 06-13-2023 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 16979887)
I have a bad feeling about this actually, been thinking about it for a few days.

I think you're just constipated and need to visit a kohl's

Simply Red 06-13-2023 01:09 PM

How would you guys feel about Hunter coming here? Dude from Minnesota

loochy 06-13-2023 01:10 PM

...and he'll still play. That doesn't sound very mandatory to me.

Hammock Parties 06-13-2023 01:10 PM

That's it folks. Dynasty over.

We had a good run.

chiefzilla1501 06-13-2023 01:14 PM

He’s been nothing but positive in the offseason. And I don’t think he courts DHop if he knows it’s going to keep him from getting paid. Lots of players hate these so it may be an excuse to skip it while also sending a message about making sure he gets paid

Skyy God 06-13-2023 01:15 PM

If Jones was going to take something reasonable, like $25M per, deal would already been done.

He likely wants $30M and I doubt Veachy wants to pay that.

So much for taking less like Pat to field a competitive team.

dlphg9 06-13-2023 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 16979859)
It's neat when players show up and want to be here

Could you kindly go **** yourself?

Skyy God 06-13-2023 01:18 PM

Chiefs DT Chris Jones is absent from Kansas City's mandatory minicamp.

The two sides have been talking through an extension to properly value the 28-year-old, who is coming off a career-high 15.5-sack season and finished third in Defensive Player of the Year voting. It's hard to be too concerned because there's been talk since the beginning of the offseason that Jones was going to want to be in Aaron Donald's tax bracket and that kind of negotiation was never going to play out quickly and easily. Still, it has to be at least seen as possible that Jones will be a training camp hold-in until his contract is resolved to his liking.

Simply Red 06-13-2023 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 16979904)
He’s been nothing but positive in the offseason. And I don’t think he courts DHop if he knows it’s going to keep him from getting paid. Lots of players hate these so it may be an excuse to skip it while also sending a message about making sure he gets paid

I sure hope so sweetie.

dlphg9 06-13-2023 01:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyy God (Post 16979909)
If Jones was going to take something reasonable, like $25M per, deal would already been done.

He likely wants $30M and I doubt Veachy wants to pay that.

So much for taking less like Pat to field a competitive team.

Why should he take barely more than Jeffery Simmons and significantly less than Donald? $30 mil is what he's worth. He's that important to the team and D.

CaliforniaChief 06-13-2023 01:24 PM

I think a deal gets done. I don't sense acrimony, and if there is they've both done a great job of keeping it under wraps.

Pay the man.

Skyy God 06-13-2023 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 16979918)
Why should he take barely more than Jeffery Simmons and significantly less than Donald? $30 mil is what he's worth. He's that important to the team and D.

Sure.

But the Chiefs don’t want to overpay for declining production and be forced into a stars and scrubs roster due to his cap hits.

Donald got paid last year and he put up 5 sacks. Granted, the Rams were terrible, but it’s still a legit concern.

TribalElder 06-13-2023 01:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 16979912)
Could you kindly go **** yourself?

It would be great if you could just ****ing die so we don't have to read your worthless posts on chiefsplanet.com

ptlyon 06-13-2023 01:30 PM

ROFL I love CP

scho63 06-13-2023 01:37 PM

In Veach We Trust.

KCUnited 06-13-2023 01:39 PM

Maybe he's still in the lot trying to get his truck backed in

Simply Red 06-13-2023 01:39 PM

Well several teams are missing critical players right now from Camp so hearing that makes me feel a lot better.

redfan 06-13-2023 01:41 PM

CJ's deal will get done, and soon. BV go brrrrrt

Red Dawg 06-13-2023 01:45 PM

I think we should all consider the possibility that we can't meet what he wants. Donald got an insane amount and we won't do that. CJ will hit FA in 2024. I don't think he gets an extension.

dlphg9 06-13-2023 01:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 16979935)
It would be great if you could just ****ing die so we don't have to read your worthless posts on chiefsplanet.com

Aren't you the guy that "borrowed" money from eDave and then didn't pay him back and that led to him going clinically insane? You can **** right off. You god damn monster.

AdolfOliverBush 06-13-2023 01:55 PM

Jones is unable to attend due to his big ass dick still being lodged in Joe Burrow's asshole.

dlphg9 06-13-2023 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyy God (Post 16979930)
Sure.

But the Chiefs don’t want to overpay for declining production and be forced into a stars and scrubs roster due to his cap hits.

Donald got paid last year and he put up 5 sacks. Granted, the Rams were terrible, but it’s still a legit concern.

Well, you also have to take their ages into account. It was really dumb for the Rams to give a 3 year $95 million contract to a guy that was 31 years old. A contract that they have to pay even when he's no longer with the team. Jones will only be 29 years old this season, so the risk is quite a bit lower than what happened with Donald. They could give him 3 years for $90 mil and that contract would only cover him from 29-31 years old.

T-post Tom 06-13-2023 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush (Post 16979978)
Jones is unable to attend due to his big ass dick still being lodged in Joe Burrow's asshole.

I heard the crane broke and "it" was still covered in Burrow's pink lipstick.

Image: Not Safe for Work
NSFW Image

RunKC 06-13-2023 03:00 PM

Playing devils advocate for a sec…

The Chiefs have retooled the DL the past year with 2 first rd picks, a speed rusher on day 3 and Omenihu.

Keep in mind that Omenihu had 4.5 sacks playing only 60% of the snaps that Chris Jones played last year. He had 54 pressures, 16 QB hits and was the 6th best pass rush win % at edge only behind Garrett, Bosa, Parsons, Hendrickson and Z Smith.

Perhaps they want to see what those guys do this year and then do a Tyreek like tag and trade for picks if Chris wants too much money?

After the Tyreek trade, I wouldn’t put it past Veach to do this.

RINGLEADER 06-13-2023 03:07 PM

Not surprised.

If I was him I would be living in my bedroom encased in bubble wrap until I get an extension.

Or I would have a $100mm insurance policy against bruising.

Chiefspants 06-13-2023 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 16980083)

The Chiefs have retooled the DL the past year with 2 first rd picks, a speed rusher on day 3 and Omenihu.

Keep in mind that Omenihu had 4.5 sacks playing only 60% of the snaps that Chris Jones played last year. He had 54 pressures, 16 QB hits and was the 6th best pass rush win % at edge only behind Garrett, Bosa, Parsons, Hendrickson and Z Smith.

Perhaps they want to see what those guys do this year and then do a Tyreek like tag and trade for picks if Chris wants too much money?

Tyreek was the third most valuable player on our offense.

Jones is by far the most valuable player on the defense, and there isn't a close second.

BryanBusby 06-13-2023 03:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 16979975)
Aren't you the guy that "borrowed" money from eDave and then didn't pay him back and that led to him going clinically insane? You can **** right off. You god damn monster.

Uh. I think you're thinking of the wrong person here.

TribalElder 06-13-2023 03:46 PM

Quote:

No, I never borrowed money from E-Dave. If I would have, I definitely would have paid him back, E-Dave was good in my book.

dlphg9 06-13-2023 03:47 PM

Quote:

People keep acting like they were willing to make Tyreek the highest paid at his position and weren't gonna give him $25 mil/yr until Adams was traded and signed. They have no problem giving out huge contracts. Plus there a big difference between trading the 2nd or 3rd most important player on offense and trading the most important player by a huge amount on defense. There is no one that's going to come anywhere close to being as important as Chris Jones. We don't have anyone that can rush from the interior like Chris and that's way more important that an edge rusher.

TribalElder 06-13-2023 03:48 PM

Quote:

This would be my thought as well, at the time I couldn't have imagined the Chiefs would have ever let the Cheetah go, but they did and got better.

Hope Jones stays around long term, he can be a game wrecker for sure

dlphg9 06-13-2023 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 16980143)

Yeah, I am lol. He replied. Just going for a low blow and missed it miserably.

Pablo 06-13-2023 03:52 PM

Quote:

beachtribe

He smokes rocks

scho63 06-13-2023 03:52 PM

Quote:

It was BeachTribe not TribalElder.

You owe him an apology for being wrong, something you're skilled at. :doh!:

dlphg9 06-13-2023 03:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 16980146)
No, I never borrowed money from E-Dave. If I would have, I definitely would have paid him back, E-Dave was good in my book.

eDave was one of my favorite posters by far. Sucks that something just went wrong with him.

siberian khatru 06-13-2023 03:53 PM

I blame Quinnen Williams

dlphg9 06-13-2023 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 16980158)
It was BeachTribe not TribalElder.

You owe him an apology for being wrong, something you're skilled at. :doh!:

I'm not apologizing for shit. He wished me dead and I got something wrong about him, so we canceled each other out.

dlphg9 06-13-2023 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 16980157)
beachtribe

He smokes rocks

Lmao, I bet a lot of CPers like smoking rocks.

Iowanian 06-13-2023 03:57 PM

If he doesn't get an extension soon, I'm going to send the video of his hammer falling out at the combine to the future owner of the Chiefs and she'll take care of that.

Easy 6 06-13-2023 04:09 PM

R-E-L-A-X

RunKC 06-13-2023 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 16980147)
People keep acting like they were willing to make Tyreek the highest paid at his position and weren't gonna give him $25 mil/yr until Adams was traded and signed. They have no problem giving out huge contracts. Plus there a big difference between trading the 2nd or 3rd most important player on offense and trading the most important player by a huge amount on defense. There is no one that's going to come anywhere close to being as important as Chris Jones. We don't have anyone that can rush from the interior like Chris and that's way more important that an edge rusher.

Tyreek was offered $25 million and decided he wanted $30 million APY. That’s a big difference.

Veach’s worst move as a GM was trading for Frank Clark and paying him a huge long-term contract. The last year and a half Veach has drawn a line and didn’t budge. He learned from his mistake.

Tyreek, Juju, Wylie, Frank (we weren’t paying him $5.5 million to come back LMAO) and most recently telling Orlando Brown Jr to **** himself. Veach isn’t overpaying.

Chris Jones is an amazing player, but he also turns 30 after this season. His prime isn’t gonna last much longer. If he demands more than Veach is willing to offer, he’ll be traded.

I hope he takes a short term, team friendly deal. Maybe something like a 3 year deal. We’ll see

smithandrew051 06-13-2023 04:20 PM

He’s probably just working on carpool details with Deandre Hopkins

tredadda 06-13-2023 04:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 16980180)
Tyreek was offered $25 million and decided he wanted $30 million APY. That’s a big difference.

Veach’s worst move as a GM was trading for Frank Clark and paying him a huge long-term contract. The last year and a half Veach has drawn a line and didn’t budge. He learned from his mistake.

Tyreek, Juju, Wylie, Frank (we weren’t paying him $5.5 million to come back LMAO) and most recently telling Orlando Brown Jr to **** himself. Veach isn’t overpaying.

Chris Jones is an amazing player, but he also turns 30 after this season. His prime isn’t gonna last much longer. If he demands more than Veach is willing to offer, he’ll be traded.

I hope he takes a short term, team friendly deal. Maybe something like a 3 year deal. We’ll see

Except Jones is different from all of them. The only player there that is elite was Hill and KC could afford to lose him because of Mahomes. KC should look to lock him up on a 3-4 year contract which should get the final few good years out of him. He is not a RB and I am not sure why 30 is now the point of no return age for all non QBs.

chiefzilla1501 06-13-2023 04:32 PM

Quote:

We have more than enough money. We aren’t in the cap hell people think we are. We are being smart about where we spend. But we can and will spend where we need to. Chris jones is the kelce of our defense. And this past year he went from a great player to becoming its heartbeat. Honey badger was the leader of this D until he became a headache. I think as honey badger drifted, jones became the undisputed leader but he does it with way more maturity. Especially with a defense with lots of young guys we’ve got to keep a glue guy there.

O.city 06-13-2023 04:32 PM

HOF pass rusher in his prime

Doubt they trade that

Megatron96 06-13-2023 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 16980196)
Except Jones is different from all of them. The only player there that is elite was Hill and KC could afford to lose him because of Mahomes. KC should look to lock him up on a 3-4 year contract which should get the final few good years out of him. He is not a RB and I am not sure why 30 is now the point of no return age for all non QBs.

Don’t forget Travis. Things wouldn’t have worked out the same if Travis left/was traded. Probably would’ve looked something like GB last season.

And I don’t get the “he’s over 30; he’s washed/trash” nonsense either.

RunKC 06-13-2023 04:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16980203)
HOF pass rusher in his prime

Doubt they trade that

If he wants Aaron Donald money I think they end up trading him. Hopefully he doesn’t.

Not a lot of guys end up being worth the elite 3rd contracts

Chief Pagan 06-13-2023 05:05 PM

I absolutely do hope they manage to resign him to a contract that both sides can [obviously] live with.

But I'm not convinced they will.

I keep remembering being told over and over that OBJ had to be resigned and I didn't believe it.

I'm just not sure he will come down.

Mahomes can take a team friendly deal because of endorsements. Other players can't make that up.

I would imagine there are other teams out there that could pay more than KC? Pay more and probably willing to guarantee more years?

The defensive does take a huge hit if he is not resigned. But overpaying a declining star is also a huge hit that has to be worried about.

But I do feel better about Jones being extended than I ever did OBJ.

Tribal Warfare 06-13-2023 05:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 16980143)

That was beachtribe, the guy had a bad drug addiction

big nasty kcnut 06-13-2023 05:14 PM

Not worried. Just give him his contract and let's win another trophy.

notorious 06-13-2023 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iowanian (Post 16980166)
If he doesn't get an extension soon, I'm going to send the video of his hammer falling out at the combine to the future owner of the Chiefs and she'll take care of that.

If Chris Jones gets an extension, it will throw the Earth off it's axis.

Oh, you mean contract extension.

Skyy God 06-13-2023 05:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 16980204)
Don’t forget Travis. Things wouldn’t have worked out the same if Travis left/was traded. Probably would’ve looked something like GB last season.

You and your 1 man “Kelce’s gonna get injured” band can **** right off.

Megatron96 06-13-2023 05:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Skyy God (Post 16980303)
You and your 1 man “Kelce’s gonna get injured” band can **** right off.

Lol, wth? Reread my post; there's not one word about Kelce getting hurt in it.

Maybe you should get your imaginary gf to read my posts to you. Guaranteed she has a higher IQ than you.

O.city 06-13-2023 08:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 16980213)
If he wants Aaron Donald money I think they end up trading him. Hopefully he doesn’t.

Not a lot of guys end up being worth the elite 3rd contracts

He’s 28

Rain Man 06-13-2023 08:23 PM

I feel kind of bad for Chris Jones. On almost any other team in the league, he would be the foundational player and everyone else's deal would be working around his. But on this team, he's been the third or fourth guy and we're trying to fit his deal around other players' deals.

dlphg9 06-13-2023 10:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 16980180)

Chris Jones is incredibly more valuable than anyone you named. DTs usually age pretty well, especially a guy that isn't just a tub of shit and Jones isn't a tub of shit. He could easily be the best DT in football for the next 3 years and a top 5 DT for a couple of years after that. I'd give him a 4-5 year deal at up to $30 mil/yr.

BossChief 06-14-2023 01:17 AM

The salary cap in 2020 was only 183m and in 2023, it’s 225. A 23% increase.

Veach signed Jones to a 4 year deal worth 85m 21.25m aav. That means that if all things are equal, I’d HOPE that Chris would agree to a 3 year extension for 26aav.

That would be a total contract of 4/106 with likely 65-70 in total guarantees and around 50 in full guarantees. Hopefully we give him a deal like that in the next month.

PAChiefsGuy 06-14-2023 03:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 16980500)
I feel kind of bad for Chris Jones. On almost any other team in the league, he would be the foundational player and everyone else's deal would be working around his. But on this team, he's been the third or fourth guy and we're trying to fit his deal around other players' deals.

Chris Jones isn't good enough to be a foundational player in any team. Dude didn't even have sack in the playoffs until this season. I get what you are saying but let's not get carried away.

JPH83 06-14-2023 04:13 AM

I think you pay him what he wants and tell him as part of that he gets every dollar he wanted to give to Clark. Last year was his best year, I reckon you can expect at least a couple more years of elite play and that's probably worth it. A DT that specialises in getting to the QB sometimes feels hugely undervalued, they're rarer than rocking-horse s**t and Jones, as just that, has single-handedly raised our DL from abject to decent, and now pretty damn competitive.

O.city 06-14-2023 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy (Post 16980638)
Chris Jones isn't good enough to be a foundational player in any team. Dude didn't even have sack in the playoffs until this season. I get what you are saying but let's not get carried away.

Is this a serious post?

Chief Roundup 06-14-2023 08:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 16980744)
Is this a serious post?

Look at who the poster is.

O.city 06-14-2023 08:07 AM

Chris Jones would be the best defensive player on 32 NFL teams.

tredadda 06-14-2023 08:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 16980204)

Agreed. Kelce is the second best player on offense and is more critical to its success than any other player non Mahomes.

Wisconsin_Chief 06-14-2023 08:13 AM

You really have to wonder if maybe the Chiefs are looking at this possible extension in a different light than most of us. It could be a question of do you want Chris Jones on his 3rd contract going into his *potentially* declining years, or do you want Bolton and Sneed on their 2nd contracts going into their prime?

I love Chris Jones to living death, but I think Veach has clearly learned to take emotion out of it with players, which sadly is part of being a great GM. If he's debating whether a 3rd contract for Jones is a better investment than a 2nd contract for both Bolton & Sneed, that's going to be a tough call. A lot of people will say we have money for all 3, and maybe we do, but they know better than us. He may have other plans for those cap dollars.

All that said, I don't see how you don't pay Jones, but again, I'm thinking with emotion. Nobody knows what actually goes on in that locker room and/or what Veach has planned. I know Clark Hunt certainly didn't sound like he was in any hurry to extend Jones, so that speaks volumes. Veach might have his hands tied for all we know.

tredadda 06-14-2023 08:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PAChiefsGuy (Post 16980638)

Except he is a foundational player. Looking at post season stats as the only gauge is as silly as using them to justify Clark.