ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Falcon and The Winter Soldier trailer (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=335569)

Tribal Warfare 12-11-2020 04:40 AM

Falcon and The Winter Soldier trailer

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/jkBfGvb7NzM" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445 12-11-2020 11:48 AM

LOL

The banter between those two was the best part of Civil War.

"Can you move the seat forward?"
"NO" ROFL

Unfortunately, the worst part of Civil War, Zimo, looks to return.

Fish 12-12-2020 04:23 PM

"Cyborg brain?"

keg in kc 02-07-2021 08:56 PM

Looks pretty badass....

<iframe width="1189" height="669" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/tyJ1G-dUZ0I" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Beef Supreme 02-07-2021 09:21 PM

Is this the sequel to Falcon and the Snowman?

Buehler445 02-07-2021 10:03 PM

ROFL

I laughed at the starting contest bit. **** I'm still laughing about it.

ROFL

DaneMcCloud 02-08-2021 12:13 PM

Disney spent $25 million per episode on The Falcon & The Winter Soldier, making it the most expensive TV show in history.

keg in kc 02-08-2021 02:38 PM

They'll break their own record annually.

Bowser 02-08-2021 07:55 PM

Remember when Kevin Smith made Clerks for around $230K? Ah, good times, those.

Deberg_1990 02-08-2021 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15538514)
Disney spent $25 million per episode on The Falcon & The Winter Soldier, making it the most expensive TV show in history.

Thats insane. IM guessing these will be hour long episodes then and not the 30-35 minute format?

Buehler445 02-08-2021 08:28 PM

Quote:

Woah.

DaneMcCloud 02-08-2021 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15539693)
Thats insane. IM guessing these will be hour long episodes then and not the 30-35 minute format?

I don't know because no one has confirmed it to me yet. As I've mentioned, it's tough to get "inside info" when I'm not Face-to-Face with people because no one is risking an electronic trail because it would mean the loss of their job if found out.

What I do know is that all of the new Disney+ Marvel & Star Wars series won't be hampered or cornered by Run Time. If it takes 35 minutes to tell the story, it'll be 35 minutes. If it takes 55 minutes to tell the story, it'll be 55 minutes.

I greatlly prefer that method of storytelling over the exact 22 or 38 minute format because often times, a full story can't be told with those type of restrictions and it limits the director, actors and screenwriters.

Buehler445 02-08-2021 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15539776)
I don't know because no one has confirmed it to me yet. As I've mentioned, it's tough to get "inside info" when I'm not Face-to-Face with people because no one is risking an electronic trail because it would mean the loss of their job if found out.

What I do know is that all of the new Disney+ Marvel & Star Wars series won't be hampered or cornered by Run Time. If it takes 35 minutes to tell the story, it'll be 35 minutes. If it takes 55 minutes to tell the story, it'll be 55 minutes.

I greatlly prefer that method of storytelling over the exact 22 or 38 minute format because often times, a full story can't be told with those type of restrictions and it limits the director, actors and screenwriters.

Or, you have 25 minutes of good story in a 38 minute format.

Jamie 02-09-2021 04:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15539659)
Remember when Kevin Smith made Clerks for around $230K? Ah, good times, those.

And most of that was for the music rights. The film itself was like $27,000. And the funny thing is, you could probably make it cheaper now. Most of that $27K was spent on costs associated with shooting on film.

BWillie 02-09-2021 10:50 AM

Ah yes, another kids movie that adults will convince themselves to watch.

Hammock Parties 02-09-2021 11:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15540512)

What's wrong with that?

-King- 02-09-2021 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 15540512)

Kids TV SHOW*

BigBeauford 03-12-2021 02:51 PM

After Wandavision didn't exactly stick the landing (IMO), seeing the mild first impressions for this isn't a great sign. The "first impressions" embargo lifted today. For anyone who doesn't know, these contain usually the most hyperbolic positive takes known to man even if the movie is a dumpster fire. Also, getting a nice helping of this:

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Pace is generally slower, breathes like a TV drama. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/WinterSoldier?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#WinterSoldier</a>&#39;s burden and story of remorse seems greater at first, but <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/TheFalcon?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#TheFalcon</a>&#39;s struggle—being treated like a superstar black athlete admired on the field when making plays, but not off it in the real world—feels very real</p>&mdash; The Voice Of Reason™ 📽🎞📺 (@YrOnlyHope) <a href="https://twitter.com/YrOnlyHope/status/1370421548591546370?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 12, 2021</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Bowser 03-12-2021 02:56 PM

Oh boy.

After the supernatural world of WandaVision, the cloak and dagger stuff is definitely going to hit a lower gear to start. I still maintain Captain America: The Winter Soldier is as good as any movie in the MCU (including Infinity War and Endgame), so I'm ready to give it some room to prove itself.

BigBeauford 03-12-2021 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15582515)
Oh boy.

After the supernatural world of WandaVision, the cloak and dagger stuff is definitely going to hit a lower gear to start. I still maintain Captain America: The Winter Soldier is as good as any movie in the MCU (including Infinity War and Endgame), so I'm ready to give it some room to prove itself.

CA:WS is in the top tier of Marvel movies because all the Russo Bros movies happen to be their best.

Bowser 03-12-2021 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 15582523)
CA:WS is in the top tier of Marvel movies because all the Russo Bros movies happen to be their best.

That's fair (and accurate).

Just saying I like the intrigue side as much as the cosmic side. I just really hope they don't turn it into something it was never meant to be.

BigBeauford 03-12-2021 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15582530)
That's fair (and accurate).

Just saying I like the intrigue side as much as the cosmic side. I just really hope they don't turn it into something it was never meant to be.

Take my opinion obviously with a grain of salt. I am a grump who wants to see new IPs and ideas explored if they cannot continue to improve on a formula (especially one that has been milked to the extent that the MCU is now being milked for).

DaneMcCloud 03-12-2021 03:40 PM

Quote:

I've watched all 23 MCU films in order several times, then recently went back and watched the individual character films in order (Iron Man 1, 2 & 3, Captain America 1,2 & 3 and so on).

It's pretty crazy watching as a trilogy or duology or in the order of the Avengers films because it's clearly evident that the Russo's were head and shoulders above the films done by Joss Whedon in particular, although Thor 1 & 2 are pretty weak as well.

That said, as of today, Thor 3 is my favorite MCU film. Taika just kills it with the humor and action for me.

BigBeauford 03-12-2021 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15582606)
I've watched all 23 MCU films in order several times, then recently went back and watched the individual character films in order (Iron Man 1, 2 & 3, Captain America 1,2 & 3 and so on).

It's pretty crazy watching as a trilogy or duology or in the order of the Avengers films because it's clearly evident that the Russo's were head and shoulders above the films done by Joss Whedon in particular, although Thor 1 & 2 are pretty weak as well.

That said, as of today, Thor 3 is my favorite MCU film. Taika just kills it with the humor and action for me.

Spot on Dane. Taika absolutely killed it. Ragnorok is one of my favorites too, as is GotG. I am also impressed how much Jon Favreau nailed the first Iron Man. It holds up remarkably compared to many other films (especially from phase 1, holy cow was that a mediocre bunch of films) and really set a blueprint for what a Marvel movie is.

Edit: Now I'm sad because of how much better Terrance Howard would have been than Don Cheadle (no offense to Mr. Cheadle, he's just one of the few subpar castings in the bunch).

DaneMcCloud 03-12-2021 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 15582642)
Spot on Dane. Taika absolutely killed it. Ragnorok is one of my favorites too, as is GotG. I am also impressed how much Jon Favreau nailed the first Iron Man. It holds up remarkably compared to many other films (especially from phase 1, holy cow was that a mediocre bunch of films) and really set a blueprint for what a Marvel movie is.

Edit: Now I'm sad because of how much better Terrance Howard would have been than Don Cheadle (no offense to Mr. Cheadle, he's just one of the few subpar castings in the bunch).

I touched upon this in the Mandalorian thread but Terrance Howard basically killed his film career by demanding too much money for Iron Man 2.

Had he just kept his mouth shut, he would have appeared in nearly a dozen MCU movies and had his own upcoming Disney+ series.

BigBeauford 03-12-2021 04:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15582652)
I touched upon this in the Mandalorian thread but Terrance Howard basically killed his film career by demanding too much money for Iron Man 2.

Had he just kept his mouth shut, he would have appeared in nearly a dozen MCU movies and had his own upcoming Disney+ series.

Wasn't aware of the backstory to that. Disappointing because he and RDJ had great chemistry.

DaneMcCloud 03-12-2021 04:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 15582664)
Wasn't aware of the backstory to that. Disappointing because he and RDJ had great chemistry.

Yeah, it really is disappointing because I preferred Terrance Howard in the role to Don Cheadle, not that there's anything wrong with Cheadle's performance.

Ed Norton was the other dope that messed up his MCU career. He wanted "creative input" on his Hulk appearances in the MCU so they fired him and went with Ruffalo instead.

As much as I initially liked Norton's performance, Ruffalo is the better Hulk in my opinion because he has so much range.

BigBeauford 03-12-2021 05:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15582678)
Yeah, it really is disappointing because I preferred Terrance Howard in the role to Don Cheadle, not that there's anything wrong with Cheadle's performance.

Ed Norton was the other dope that messed up his MCU career. He wanted "creative input" on his Hulk appearances in the MCU so they fired him and went with Ruffalo instead.

As much as I initially liked Norton's performance, Ruffalo is the better Hulk in my opinion because he has so much range.

Agreed. I used to be a much bigger fan of Norton, but he's kind of a prick I've heard and he just doesn't have the range to be funny (Death to Smoochy seems to be more the exception than rule for him).

Buehler445 03-12-2021 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 15582749)
Agreed. I used to be a much bigger fan of Norton, but he's kind of a prick I've heard and he just doesn't have the range to be funny (Death to Smoochy seems to be more the exception than rule for him).

He just fancies himself an artist.

Nothing wrong with it. But he won’t ever be in a blockbuster. Unless he has creative content tell front to back.

I respect it, but if I’m being honest, others do it better.

Pitt Gorilla 03-14-2021 11:55 AM

Quote:

Love the Russos (Arrested Development and Community). Love Waititi as well (Shadows). They certainly know comedy well.

DaneMcCloud 03-14-2021 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 15582749)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 15583022)
He just fancies himself an artist.

Nothing wrong with it. But he won’t ever be in a blockbuster. Unless he has creative content tell front to back.

I respect it, but if I’m being honest, others do it better.

I don't disagree but I will say that it's easy to get confused in this business when you constantly have people in your ear telling you about your "greatness" and how you should just "**** them all" and "do your own thing". It can be a real mind****.

That said, it's a damn shame what's happened to Norton's career because his performances in Primal Fear and Fight Club, not to mention American History X, were just phenomenal, so much so that it took me a while to "warm up" to Ruffalo's portrayal.

Although now, after several movies, I couldn't even dream of another actor in that role. Ruffalo's perfect.

Deberg_1990 03-14-2021 04:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15584010)
I don't disagree but I will say that it's easy to get confused in this business when you constantly have people in your ear telling you about your "greatness" and how you should just "**** them all" and "do your own thing". It can be a real mind****.

That said, it's a damn shame what's happened to Norton's career because his performances in Primal Fear and Fight Club, not to mention American History X, were just phenomenal, so much so that it took me a while to "warm up" to Ruffalo's portrayal.

Although now, after several movies, I couldn't even dream of another actor in that role. Ruffalo's perfect.

They are both pretty great. Ruffalo and Norton.

But yea, it’s crazy how all the steam went out of Norton’s career after Hulk. He had a great run there from the mid 90s to late 2000s.....

He directed movie last year called ‘Motherless Brooklyn’ that got zero buzz and I’ve never heard one person talk about seeing it.

Chiefspants 03-14-2021 04:40 PM

I don't think Norton and RDJ would have had near the chemistry as RDJ and Ruffalo. Norton and RDJ would have had way too similar of a vibe to me had Norton played Banner/Hulk like he did in the first Hulk movie.

lawrenceRaider 03-15-2021 12:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15584273)
They are both pretty great. Ruffalo and Norton.

But yea, it’s crazy how all the steam went out of Norton’s career after Hulk. He had a great run there from the mid 90s to late 2000s.....

He directed movie last year called ‘Motherless Brooklyn’ that got zero buzz and I’ve never heard one person talk about seeing it.

My wife and I really enjoyed Motherless Brooklyn. Best thing Norton's done in at least a decade.

Deberg_1990 03-15-2021 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lawrenceRaider (Post 15585431)
My wife and I really enjoyed Motherless Brooklyn. Best thing Norton's done in at least a decade.

Ok thanks. I’ll check it out.

Sure-Oz 03-18-2021 10:52 AM

98% on 44 reviews on RT

DaneMcCloud 03-18-2021 11:01 AM

I haven't watched the last two trailers and I'm trying to avoid all spoilers but man, I am jacked about the series debut tomorrow night.

Tribal Warfare 03-19-2021 04:52 AM

Pretty awesome 1st episode

unlurking 03-19-2021 06:29 PM

I enjoyed it a lot. I like WV too, but this should appeal to those who didn't or felt it has too slow of a start.

Spoiler!

staylor26 03-20-2021 12:14 AM

Enjoyed the 1st episode. That opening action scene was amazing TV.

Fish 03-20-2021 12:20 AM

Pleasantly impressed with the 1st episode. The initial action scene was really well done.

Spoiler!

Bowser 03-20-2021 11:15 AM

I liked it a lot. Interesting angle they're taking with Bucky.

Deberg_1990 03-20-2021 11:27 AM

This was really good. I think I’m going to enjoy this more than WandaVision

Kman34 03-20-2021 11:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 15594672)
I enjoyed it a lot. I like WV too, but this should appeal to those who didn't or felt it has too slow of a start.

Spoiler!

I read somewhere it cost 26 million per episode.. So the action scenes are going to be awesome..

DaneMcCloud 03-20-2021 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kman34 (Post 15595300)
I read somewhere it cost 26 million per episode.. So the action scenes are going to be awesome..

Quote:

:D

Kman34 03-20-2021 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15595371)
:D

HA!! Thanks..

Buehler445 03-21-2021 07:42 AM

I thought the first episode was really good. It was a lot heavier than I expected. I was here for the jokes. (Are you two really having a staring contest? How old are you? ROFL). They’re hitting some pretty heavy stuff. And doing it well. After a little recalibration of expectations I think I’ll like it a lot more.

Spoiler!

I watched a dork video that pulled some pretty deep parallels to Winter Soldier that I missed. Dork video also speculated that

Spoiler!

Hadn’t considered it but they make a compelling case.

Overall really good. And the stuff about the therapy and the father on Buckys end and failure and pressure on Sams were really well done IMO.

Buehler445 03-21-2021 07:44 AM

Side note. It’s always weird when people pretend like consolidating and taking further debt for operating capital will somehow help a financial situation. What, is all the current debt in a credit card?

DaneMcCloud 03-21-2021 09:27 PM

I've watched three times so far and unfortunately, I'm pretty mixed about Episode 1.

We knew the action sequences were going to be amazing due to the price tag, so it wasn't a surprise to see the Falcon kick ass in action. The casting is spot-on and it was nice to see Don Cheadle (Terrance Howard, you ****ing idiot) because I'd either forgotten that he was attached or didn't know but either way, his presence gave the show some gravitas while also providing some humanity from a wise and familiar face.

I thought it was a really interesting choice to see Bucky seeking atonement for some of his dirty work, especially considering that it appears that he's seeking atonement from those who weren't his target and instead, were collateral damage. I think it's an interesting path but if Hawkeye doesn't take a similar path, it'll really be out of place because as Ronin, he murdered scores of people that will not ever come back. Imagine blipping 5 years ago, only to return a microsecond later, only to find family members murdered. Now, we know they were "bad guys" but Tony's Snap did nothing to help those Ronin killed.

I thought the introduction of the next Captain America was awkward to say the least. They said that America "needed a symbol" right now, in these "trying times" but they never revealed much about those "trying times". I mentioned in the WandaVision thread that I really wanted to see Marvel explore what happened when 4 Billion people disappeared off the face of the earth, then return five years later. And it wasn't just human life that was Snapped, it was ALL life. What happened to the oceans? The climate? What happens when those who comes back from The Blip find their loved one truly dead or that they've moved on? I hope they tell us more and don't leave it all too vague.

I didn't really care about Sam's backstory because it was lazy writing. I just find it incredibly hard to believe that not only was he not paid by anyone to be an Avenger but apparently, wasn't given a reward of money for helping to destroy Thanos and his army, while helping to return 4 billion people and the other half of non-intelligent life! I realize that people, and especially governments, around the world are selfish pricks but good grief, that doesn't even seem to be even remotely believable.

I mean, the guy is a worldwide superstar that just saved the world. The amount of pussy that dude would pull would surpass Tony Stark and there would be companies lining up for him to endorse their products. And if none of that happened, there isn't a doubt in my mind that someone, if not hundreds of people, would set up a Go Fund Me account because Falcon didn't work for the last 5 years because he blipped but came back and helped save the world. The dude would be a billionaire in less than 24 hours.

And finally, the score. After Christophe Beck's brilliant score throughout WandaVision, especially the first end credits, we're stuck with Henry Jackman, whose End Theme was totally forgettable, the action sequences were blah and there was absolutely no cohesion. I realize that everyone can't be Christophe Beck or Brian Tyler or Alan Silvestri but good grief, there are many other guys in town that would have killed that score, not just slept through it.

And wow. $150 million for six episodes that are less than 60 minutes. Yeesh.

DaneMcCloud 03-22-2021 10:37 AM

https://us13.campaign-archive.com/?u...&id=ab914d96ea

Well, this is kind of a bummer. From the writer/creator of The Winter Soldier:

And of course, today the FALCON AND WINTER SOLDIER show debuts on Disney+, which I sadly have very mixed feelings about. I'm really happy for Sebastian Stan, who I think is both a great guy and the perfect Bucky/Winter Soldier, and I'm glad to see him getting more screen time finally. Also, Anthony Mackie is amazing as the Falcon, and everyone at Marvel Studios that I've ever met (all the way up to Kevin Feige) have been nothing but kind to me... but at the same time, for the most part all Steve Epting and I have gotten for creating the Winter Soldier and his storyline is a "thanks" here or there, and over the years that's become harder and harder to live with. I've even seen higher-ups on the publishing side try to take credit for my work a few times, which was pretty galling (to be clear, I'm NOT talking about Tom Breevort, who was a great editor and really helpful).

So yeah, mixed feeling, and maybe it'll always be like that (but I sure hope not). Work-for-hire work is what it is, and I'm honestly thrilled to have co-created something that's become such a big part of pop culture - or even pop subculture with all the Bucky-Steve slash fiction - and that run on Cap was one of the happiest times of my career, certainly while doing superhero comics. Also, I have a great life as a writer and much of it is because of Cap and the Winter Soldier bringing so many readers to my other work. But I also can't deny feeling a bit sick to my stomach sometimes when my inbox fills up with people wanting comments on the show.

So... I'm sure I'll watch it, and you should too if you're a Marvel movie universe fan, but I'll probably be waiting a while to check it out myself. So please don't email me any spoilers, I guess, but go give Sebastian Stan lots of love wherever he is online.

Deberg_1990 03-22-2021 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15597148)
I've watched three times so far and unfortunately, I'm pretty mixed about Episode 1.

We knew the action sequences were going to be amazing due to the price tag, so it wasn't a surprise to see the Falcon kick ass in action. The casting is spot-on and it was nice to see Don Cheadle (Terrance Howard, you ****ing idiot) because I'd either forgotten that he was attached or didn't know but either way, his presence gave the show some gravitas while also providing some humanity from a wise and familiar face.

I thought it was a really interesting choice to see Bucky seeking atonement for some of his dirty work, especially considering that it appears that he's seeking atonement from those who weren't his target and instead, were collateral damage. I think it's an interesting path but if Hawkeye doesn't take a similar path, it'll really be out of place because as Ronin, he murdered scores of people that will not ever come back. Imagine blipping 5 years ago, only to return a microsecond later, only to find family members murdered. Now, we know they were "bad guys" but Tony's Snap did nothing to help those Ronin killed.

I thought the introduction of the next Captain America was awkward to say the least. They said that America "needed a symbol" right now, in these "trying times" but they never revealed much about those "trying times". I mentioned in the WandaVision thread that I really wanted to see Marvel explore what happened when 4 Billion people disappeared off the face of the earth, then return five years later. And it wasn't just human life that was Snapped, it was ALL life. What happened to the oceans? The climate? What happens when those who comes back from The Blip find their loved one truly dead or that they've moved on? I hope they tell us more and don't leave it all too vague.

I didn't really care about Sam's backstory because it was lazy writing. I just find it incredibly hard to believe that not only was he not paid by anyone to be an Avenger but apparently, wasn't given a reward of money for helping to destroy Thanos and his army, while helping to return 4 billion people and the other half of non-intelligent life! I realize that people, and especially governments, around the world are selfish pricks but good grief, that doesn't even seem to be even remotely believable.

I mean, the guy is a worldwide superstar that just saved the world. The amount of pussy that dude would pull would surpass Tony Stark and there would be companies lining up for him to endorse their products. And if none of that happened, there isn't a doubt in my mind that someone, if not hundreds of people, would set up a Go Fund Me account because Falcon didn't work for the last 5 years because he blipped but came back and helped save the world. The dude would be a billionaire in less than 24 hours.

And finally, the score. After Christophe Beck's brilliant score throughout WandaVision, especially the first end credits, we're stuck with Henry Jackman, whose End Theme was totally forgettable, the action sequences were blah and there was absolutely no cohesion. I realize that everyone can't be Christophe Beck or Brian Tyler or Alan Silvestri but good grief, there are many other guys in town that would have killed that score, not just slept through it.

And wow. $150 million for six episodes that are less than 60 minutes. Yeesh.

I guess I didn’t think that deeply into it while watching.

I’m just glad to see Mackie and Stan be given a little more meat to work with than in the big screen movies. They are both extremely likeable leads.

$150 million for approx 4.8 hours of content. Seems reasonable compared to a 2 hour MCU movie budget ....

Are you campaigning for a future Marvel score?

Chiefspants 03-22-2021 12:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15597148)

This is where Marvel’s cinematic and comic universe tend to struggle when trying to tell individual stories in a “connected” universe. It’s like how Iron Man 3 somehow had Tony Stark get obliterated by rockets by an earth based invader on a U.S. coast (how?) without SHIELD ever lifting a finger throughout that movie. You just have to turn your brain off to the connectivity of the universe sometimes (when the writers clearly do).

Both Peter Parker and Sam’s meager economic situation makes zero sense with their connection to the Avengers/Tony. The only thing would be if Tony Stark had a Bezos like selfishness to his wealth... but I don’t want to give someone like Rian Johnson any ideas to “explain” this leap in logic like he did for Luke in TLJ. Some of these leaps in logic are better left unexplained, I suppose.

Deberg_1990 03-22-2021 12:23 PM

Sam did say he has picked up some government contracts. So he’s not completely broke.

DaneMcCloud 03-22-2021 02:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15597760)
I guess I didn’t think that deeply into it while watching.

Sure, I totally get that and wish I could "turn off" my brain but I just can't.

My brain won't let me.

Quote:

I’m just glad to see Mackie and Stan be given a little more meat to work with than in the big screen movies. They are both extremely likeable leads.

They're both perfect for their roles and I'm looking forward to seeing them together in action.

The addition of Don Cheadle's Rhodie opens the door to other Avengers to appear in his upcoming series, so I totally dig that they're connecting this part of the MCU as well.

Quote:

$150 million for approx 4.8 hours of content. Seems reasonable compared to a 2 hour MCU movie budget ...

I guess, although Ant-Man, Ant-Man II and Captain America: The First Avenger all cost less than one season of The Falcon & Winter Soldier.

$150 million is a lot of dough for a TV series but I'm sure Disney won't lose a dime on this series, especially considering it'll live forever.

Quote:

Are you campaigning for a future Marvel score?

There's no way I could commit to working 12 hours a day for 3-4 months straight and Ghost Writing gigs don't pay worth a damn, so my answer is not at this time.

I've been offered some animated series by Disney in the past few years and that line of communication is always open but I can't imagine taking on a huge project like this until both of my children are in their teens, which is a ways away.

DaneMcCloud 03-22-2021 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15597794)
This is where Marvel’s cinematic and comic universe tend to struggle when trying to tell individual stories in a “connected” universe. It’s like how Iron Man 3 somehow had Tony Stark get obliterated by rockets by an earth based invader (how?) without SHIELD ever lifting a finger throughout that movie. You just have to turn your brain off to the connectivity of the universe sometimes (when the writers clearly do).

Both Peter Parker and Sam’s meager economic situation makes zero sense with their connection to the Avengers/Tony. The only thing would be if Tony Stark had a Bezos like selfishness to his wealth... but I don’t want to give someone like Rian Johnson any ideas to “explain” this leap in logic like he did for Luke in TLJ. Some of these leaps in logic are better left unexplained, I suppose.

What makes the fact that Sam (and I'm assuming, Bucky and many other Avengers) are broke is what took me right out of the narrative.

FFS, Kylie Jenner, who's a freaking billionaire, set up a Go Fund Me on Friday for her stylist to get health insurance and cover medical expenses from an accident. Nearly $100k has been raised in less than 3 days.

Yet, we're supposed to believe that actual Avengers members are broke? That's just a bridge too far for me.

Deberg_1990 03-22-2021 04:08 PM

I noticed that

Spoiler!

Jamie 03-22-2021 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15597584)
https://us13.campaign-archive.com/?u...&id=ab914d96ea

Well, this is kind of a bummer. From the writer/creator of The Winter Soldier:

And of course, today the FALCON AND WINTER SOLDIER show debuts on Disney+, which I sadly have very mixed feelings about. I'm really happy for Sebastian Stan, who I think is both a great guy and the perfect Bucky/Winter Soldier, and I'm glad to see him getting more screen time finally. Also, Anthony Mackie is amazing as the Falcon, and everyone at Marvel Studios that I've ever met (all the way up to Kevin Feige) have been nothing but kind to me... but at the same time, for the most part all Steve Epting and I have gotten for creating the Winter Soldier and his storyline is a "thanks" here or there, and over the years that's become harder and harder to live with. I've even seen higher-ups on the publishing side try to take credit for my work a few times, which was pretty galling (to be clear, I'm NOT talking about Tom Breevort, who was a great editor and really helpful).

So yeah, mixed feeling, and maybe it'll always be like that (but I sure hope not). Work-for-hire work is what it is, and I'm honestly thrilled to have co-created something that's become such a big part of pop culture - or even pop subculture with all the Bucky-Steve slash fiction - and that run on Cap was one of the happiest times of my career, certainly while doing superhero comics. Also, I have a great life as a writer and much of it is because of Cap and the Winter Soldier bringing so many readers to my other work. But I also can't deny feeling a bit sick to my stomach sometimes when my inbox fills up with people wanting comments on the show.

So... I'm sure I'll watch it, and you should too if you're a Marvel movie universe fan, but I'll probably be waiting a while to check it out myself. So please don't email me any spoilers, I guess, but go give Sebastian Stan lots of love wherever he is online.

That's sadly not surprising. Comic book creators are not well paid to begin with, and they don't own anything they create. Some creators have been able to get royalties, but who gets them and how much seems inconsistent. And Marvel is actually a lot worse than DC on that front, I remember a few years ago Jim Starlin said he was paid significantly more for a throwaway cameo of KGBeast in Batman v Superman than he was for the appearances of Thanos, Gamora, and Drax (all of whom he created) combined.

Honestly I was surprised to see Brubaker and Epting even got an on-screen credit as the creators of the Winter Soldier, since he was reconceptualization of an existing character.

Baby Lee 03-23-2021 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15598304)
I noticed that

Spoiler!

Wyatt is a cool dude, living his best life. Just had a baby with the stunning Merideth Hagner.

Did you catch Lodge 49?

keg in kc 03-24-2021 08:05 PM

First episode didn't do much for me. But neither did the first week of WandaVision. So hopefully it follows a similar trajectory.

They dropped me straight in the action, which I like, but then just spun wheels. I didn't really need an entire hour to establish "here's where they are" at the start a 6-hour miniseries.

DaneMcCloud 03-24-2021 09:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 15602322)
I didn't really need an entire hour to establish "here's where they are" at the start a 6-hour miniseries.

I totally get that. But since all of the TV series and films will be interconnected moving forward, it was best to get that out of the way so they don't need to repeat it in any or all upcoming series or films.

BTW guys, I saw a workout video with Oscaar Isaac training for MoonKnight and I gotta say, I think it's going to be an mindblowingly awesome addition to the MCU.

He's such a great actor and has so much charisma that I could see him as the even cooler Tony Stark at some point soon. I'm not really familiar with the character but from what I've read about him, this series is going to be unreal.

Chiefspants 03-24-2021 10:27 PM

I’m still baffled how Star Wars had three films with him and found a way to make his character entirely forgettable.

DaneMcCloud 03-24-2021 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 15602402)
I’m still baffled how Star Wars had three films with him and found a way to make his character entirely forgettable.

It was a three film series with no direction and no story or character arc.

When shooting began, Poe was originally dead in the crash in Jakku. It wasn’t until much later that they decided to bring his character back.

Then, Rian Johnson terribly underused and misused him, followed by JJ deciding to turn him into Han Solo-lite by revealing he’d been a smuggler before joining The Resistance.

I can’t even imagine how frustrating it must have been to deal with that role.

Deberg_1990 03-25-2021 08:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15602415)
It was a three film series with no direction and no story or character arc.

When shooting began, Poe was originally dead in the crash in Jakku. It wasn’t until much later that they decided to bring his character back.

Then, Rian Johnson terribly underused and misused him, followed by JJ deciding to turn him into Han Solo-lite by revealing he’d been a smuggler before joining The Resistance.

I can’t even imagine how frustrating it must have been to deal with that role.

You could say the same about Finns character as well.

Credit to both Boyega and Issac who are both charismatic enough to make their characters memorable even if the script lets them down.

Mosbonian 03-25-2021 10:31 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 15602322)
First episode didn't do much for me. But neither did the first week of WandaVision. So hopefully it follows a similar trajectory.

They dropped me straight in the action, which I like, but then just spun wheels. I didn't really need an entire hour to establish "here's where they are" at the start a 6-hour miniseries.

I am probably in the minority but WandaVision was good but not great. Much too off the wall at times for me...Paul Bettany and Elizabeth Olsen kept it interesting for me but the whole story just seemed off for me.

I liked the immediate action for FATWS....got me interested right away and i appreciate that. It did kind of drag a little in the back story part but i can live with them trying to establish why he had his angst.

I am reallly happy they are exploring the part where Bucky is dealing with the mental aspect of his prior life as a puppet of HYDRA....gives him something to reconcile with.

I think the relationship between Falcon and Bucky and their interaction will make for great watching.

Deberg_1990 03-25-2021 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 15602711)
I am probably in the minority but WandaVision was good but not great. Much too off the wall at times for me.

Same for me. I admire marvel for doing something different though.

I just can’t get into Wanda and Visions characters that much.

Bucky and Sam are just more grounded in the real world. So I can get into that more.

Deberg_1990 03-26-2021 02:49 PM

Solid 2nd episode.

Spoiler!

Bowser 03-26-2021 05:16 PM

I enjoyed it, although I will admit that Dane's point about Sam being broke has kind of just gotten in the way of this show being potentially really great. There's no way some Stark Foundation-ish type of setup wouldn't be available to Sam for the rest of his life. But, meh. Still a fun show a couple of episodes in (even if it feels like they have nerfed Bucky to a degree).

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 15604554)
Solid 2nd episode.

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

WhawhaWhat 03-26-2021 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15604712)
I enjoyed it, although I will admit that Dane's point about Sam being broke has kind of just gotten in the way of this show being potentially really great. There's no way some Stark Foundation-ish type of setup wouldn't be available to Sam for the rest of his life. But, meh. Still a fun show a couple of episodes in (even if it feels like they have nerfed Bucky to a degree).

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

KC_Connection 03-27-2021 01:50 AM

Nowhere near as unique, interesting, or enjoyable as WandaVision for me so far. I didn't particularly expect it to be, but hopefully this goes somewhere.

WhawhaWhat 03-27-2021 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 15605053)
Nowhere near as unique, interesting, or enjoyable as WandaVision for me so far. I didn't particularly expect it to be, but hopefully this goes somewhere.

Spoiler!

GloucesterChief 03-27-2021 10:30 AM

Lots of references and set up in this episode. Looks like Zemo is going to be moving more in line with his anti-villain role he had in comics for a long time.

DaneMcCloud 03-27-2021 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 15605103)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Baby Lee 03-27-2021 09:40 PM

I read The Hobbit, . . . in 1937, when it first came out. . . .

Deberg_1990 03-28-2021 07:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 15605638)
I read The Hobbit, . . . in 1937, when it first came out. . . .

That was a funny joke

unlurking 03-28-2021 08:19 AM

I've enjoyed it so far. It's been "simple" and fun. The interactions between the Falcon and the Snowman, err, I mean Winter Soldier, have been really funny. The therapy session was hilarious and timed well to be short and funny without too much *feelz*. It's definitely not a though provoking mystery filled with hints and false trails for people to crazy over, but it's not supposed to be. Can't figure out why yet, but for some reason the humor reminds me of The Greatest American Hero. Totally different show and have no idea why it's giving me that vibe,

Buehler445 03-29-2021 11:04 AM

I really liked it. I love the jokes.

It’s also good they lightened it up some. Episode 1 was HEAVY.

We need more Billets (the therapist is Lieutenant Billets from Bosch)

I thought they did a nice job with walker. I expected just a this dude is bad thing. Throwing nuance in there is good for the show. Same with the flag smasher and whatever big bad is chasing them, the name escapes me.

There are a lot of really nice details they threw in that show they care. And Stan and Mackie are really good. Both at the humor and the heavy stuff. We will see how this plays out but they’ve done a nice job so far.

Spoiler!

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 15604712)

Spoiler!

Spoiler!

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15605220)
Spoiler!

Spoiler!

GloucesterChief 03-29-2021 12:01 PM

Power Broker who was used a lot in Cap comics from the 70s and 80s.

Fish 03-29-2021 12:21 PM

The Walker character is a bit annoying. They're toying with him being a nice guy who really cares for the country. But at the same time he's a weird looking turbo douche who I immediately wanted to hate.

DaneMcCloud 03-29-2021 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 15607009)
The Walker character is a bit annoying. They're toying with him being a nice guy who really cares for the country. But at the same time he's a weird looking turbo douche who I immediately wanted to hate.

Agreed, and I feel the same about his partner as well.

I'm not sure why they chose to include such unlikeable characters for this series but so far, I'm just watching to watch, not because I'm actually enjoying it.

Deberg_1990 03-29-2021 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 15607009)

A good twist would be that there’s no twist with him. He actually turns out to be an earnest guy who wants to do good. But they continue to toy with your expectations that he’s going to do something bad.