ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Home and Auto DIY - Anyone ever wrap your automobile interior trim? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315855)

Simply Red 06-18-2018 09:30 AM

DIY - Anyone ever wrap your automobile interior trim?

I'm going to do this - I have a little experience with a heat gun and shaping material that's similar in nature to this. Unfortunately my car has that awful cherry wood-grain paneling throughout the doors and dashboard - I'm planning on doing this soon. .....Anyone ever do this?

My carbon fiber hood is being painted currently at a collision center - so once I get her back - I'll do this. Seems pretty basic.

I'm also going to swap my engine start button to the red variety and as well as getting the red 'M' insert for the steering wheel - oh additionally I'm going to wrap my steering wheel trim.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Igq5ZsoyoDo" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XDX4UNL2ZNM" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sofa King 06-18-2018 09:33 AM

Nope. I haven't.

ToxSocks 06-18-2018 09:35 AM

Smooth the panel as much as possible. Wrap in a clean area. Any dirt, lent etc that gets caught under the vinyl will be visible. If the panel is textured, smooth it out or it will look like shit. Try to use it on simple, flat surfaces. Anything with a bowl shape or multidimensional is a PITA. Heat gun is your friend, but a decent hair dryer would suffice.

Those flat panels pictured in your vids should be pretty easy. Doubt you'd even need a heat gun for that stuff.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13597115)
Smooth the panel as much as possible. Wrap in a clean area. Any dirt, lent etc that gets caught under the vinyl will be visible. If the panel is textured, smooth it out or it will look like shit. Try to use it on simple, flat surfaces. Anything with a bowl shape or multidimensional is a PITA. Heat gun is your friend, but a decent hair dryer would suffice.

Those flat panels pictured in your vids should be pretty easy. Doubt you'd even need a heat gun for that stuff.

Yeah thank God you're able to remove a lot of the things such as vents, and the radio tuner knob that resides on / in my console - the console and steering wheel present the largest challenges.

ToxSocks 06-18-2018 09:38 AM

Also, vinyls with patterns or textures can be more difficult on some parts, as you have to be careful to not distort the pattern/texture. On basic flat panels, which seems to be what the BMW is mostly comprised of, this isn't much of issue.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 09:40 AM

I think I can get all that I need regarding tools and material for about $120ish - It'll be an all day job for sure.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 09:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13597120)
Also, vinyls with patterns or textures can be more difficult on some parts, as you have to be careful to not distort the pattern/texture. On basic flat panels, which seems to be what the BMW is mostly comprised of, this isn't much of issue.

I was worried about the directional carbon fiber print - I will need to school myself more on that - so that it looks uniform, etc...

Simply Red 06-18-2018 09:42 AM

Also - definitely going matte vs glossy - as the dude above recommended in his video - plus it looks good.

ToxSocks 06-18-2018 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13597123)
I was worried about the directional carbon fiber print - I will need to school myself more on that - so that it looks uniform, etc...

Meh. I don't see anything in that car that you'd wrap that'd cause any issues with the patterns. Everything is flat. There aren't any complex curves that i can see that are worth worrying about.

Everything that woman wrapped in the 2nd video is simple stuff. I didn't watch the first video. Just work slowly section by section. Find a flat edge and work from there. Vinyl is very stretchy, and very forgiving. Just be careful not to stretch it too tight as that can distort the pattern.

ptlyon 06-18-2018 09:49 AM

Spray paint isn't an option?

Simply Red 06-18-2018 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 13597131)

I did a lot of homework - this seems to be the best for longevity and aesthetics.

MIAdragon 06-18-2018 09:52 AM

What do you drive again?

ToxSocks 06-18-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 13597131)

It sounds like he wants to do Carbon fiber, so no. And honestly, i think vinyl is a better option for a novice anyway. Especially when the trim panels are as flat as they are. So many things can go wrong with paint, and there's no going back either. Some interior trim panels simply aren't vinyl friendly though, but i don't see that as the case with this car.

I'm 110% confident that SR will have success with this and be happy with the results.

Last word of advice SR, use 3M products.

ToxSocks 06-18-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13597132)
I did a lot of homework - this seems to be the best for longevity and aesthetics.

I disagree about longevity. But that's dependent on how the paint is prepped and sealed. Some people also put a clear over the vinyl to help protect it.

Any area that's exposed to the sun/heat frequently is not good for the vinyl. Vinyl will fade in the sun.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13597135)
It sounds like he wants to do Carbon fiber, so no. And honestly, i think vinyl is a better option for a novice anyway. Especially when the trim panels are as flat as they are. So many things can go wrong with paint, and there's no going back either. Some interior trim panels simply aren't vinyl friendly though, but i don't see that as the case with this car.

I'm 110% confident that SR will have success with this and be happy with the results.

Last word of advice SR, use 3M products.

Okay to all - I'd heard from chick above and others Avery. But yeah - will look for 3m

ToxSocks 06-18-2018 10:00 AM

Maybe try a matte clear. Test it on a small piece of vinyl and see if you like the finish. If you do, then i'd recommend clearing it to add further protection to the vinyl. Of course that means you'll need to prep the surface and lay the clear down evenly so it looks pro. It ads an extra degree of time and difficulty and ads more room for error, but it may be worth it.

ToxSocks 06-18-2018 10:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13597139)
Okay to all - I'd heard from chick above and others Avery. But yeah - will look for 3m

Shrug. Never used it. Maybe it's good stuff. I don't know. I KNOW the 3M stuff is good. Very forgiving and sticks well.

Oh, and make sure your corners and grooves are stuck well and leave enough material to wrap around the back side.

For example, that hole where your power window switch goes may look good when you finished, but those areas have the tendency to peel back when the car is left in the parking lot sun. Try not to pull the vinyl too tight to help prevent that.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13597140)
Maybe try a matte clear. Test it on a small piece of vinyl and see if you like the finish. If you do, then i'd recommend clearing it to add further protection to the vinyl. Of course that means you'll need to prep the surface and lay the clear down evenly so it looks pro. It ads an extra degree of time and difficulty and ads more room for error, but it may be worth it.

Gotcha.. I originally was going to do the glossy straight black non CF texture - but hear it is less forgiving regarding bubbling and shows more imperfections.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13597142)
Shrug. Never used it. Maybe it's good stuff. I don't know. I KNOW the 3M stuff is good. Very forgiving and sticks well.

Oh, and make sure your corners and grooves are stuck well and leave enough material to wrap around the back side.

For example, that hole where your power window switch goes may look good when you finished, but those areas have the tendency to peel back when the car is left in the parking lot sun. Try not to pull the vinyl too tight to help prevent that.

For sure - the guy in the video stressed that as well and show how to. So that's been noted. thanks

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:08 AM

this is a good one
https://www.amazon.com/3M-CF12-BLACK...ber+vinyl+wrap

ToxSocks 06-18-2018 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13597143)
Gotcha.. I originally was going to do the glossy straight black non CF texture - but hear it is less forgiving regarding bubbling and shows more imperfections.

Yeah, same with paint. Gloss black is very unforgiving. Its high sheen makes small imperfections highly visible.

It's very, very important that you work in clean space. A little speck of sand or something gets on the sticky side of the vinyl and you might as well toss that piece of vinyl. Turn off any fans, clean your work station well. And again, make sure the panel you're laying it down is smooooth.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13597149)
Yeah, same with paint. Gloss black is very unforgiving. Its high sheen makes small imperfections highly visible.

It's very, very important that you work in clean space. A little speck of sand or something gets on the sticky side of the vinyl and you might as well toss that piece of vinyl. Turn off any fans, clean your work station well. And again, make sure the panel you're laying it down is smooooth.

That Amazon link above says adhesive is required - I was under the impression most rolls were already sticky and ready to wrap. I'm now confused. ha!

ToxSocks 06-18-2018 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13597148)

3M makes both a matte and "cleared" version of that carbon fiber vinyl, so make sure you get the one you're after.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13597154)
3M makes both a matte and "cleared" version of that carbon fiber vinyl, so make sure you get the one you're after.

what is 'cleared' - I was confused the first time you said that - I guess i don't know what that means.

scho63 06-18-2018 10:17 AM

I don't have the skill to do something like this but I will say one thing for sure, it looks like you really need a lot of patience and not be attempted to rush or else it could get messy.

loochy 06-18-2018 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13597155)
what is 'cleared' - I was confused the first time you said that - I guess i don't know what that means.

Clear Coat - I.E. gloss - like an M4 roof, not dry carbon.
Posted via Mobile Device

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 13597162)
I don't have the skill to do something like this but I will say one thing for sure, it looks like you really need a lot of patience and not be attempted to rush or else it could get messy.

The console will be the largest challenge and will easily take most of the time.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13597172)
Posted via Mobile Device

oh gotcha

ToxSocks 06-18-2018 10:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13597153)
That Amazon link above says adhesive is required - I was under the impression most rolls were already sticky and ready to wrap. I'm now confused. ha!

Probably the wrong stuff then. The stuff i used has a sticky back. No adhesive or adhesive promoter needed.

ToxSocks 06-18-2018 10:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13597172)
Posted via Mobile Device

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13597176)
oh gotcha

You can also do a matte clear though, since matte is the finish you're after. If you put a gloss clear over matte vinyl...it'll be gloss. Ideally, the matte clear won't change the finish (you'll have to test it first of course) and it'll ad further UV protection to the vinyl.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13597188)
Probably the wrong stuff then. The stuff i used has a sticky back. No adhesive or adhesive promoter needed.

Phew! Okay that's good to know! I was thinking to myself - Did I miss something in those videos? LOL

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13597190)
You can also do a matte clear though, since matte is the finish you're after. If you put a gloss clear over matte vinyl...it'll be gloss. Ideally, the matte clear won't change the finish (you'll have to test it first of course) and it'll ad further UV protection to the vinyl.

GOTCHA! Thanks for that - I'll explore it.

Perineum Ripper 06-18-2018 10:37 AM

I second the 3M products, use a few of their products on the farm for various things and they hold up well to all the abuse they see

ToxSocks 06-18-2018 10:38 AM

https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...-for-print.pdf

Most recently ive used the Brushed Black Metallic. Looks killer. Doesn't look good with the clear though lol.

loochy 06-18-2018 10:41 AM

I did the interior of my old Saab with 3M Di-Noc. The Di-Noc is kind of thick and it can be difficult to use on small interior pieces. For interior applications, I recommend 3M scotchprint. I used it in black dry carbon fiber and brushed aluminum. Both looked very nice.

I also covered the white chrome window trim on my old Cadillac with some Vvivid Black Chrome. It was harder to work with and had a tendency to "streak" or "thin out" if heated too much.

Prep - make sure your piece is super clean.

You'll want to use a lot of heat to stretch the vinyl a bit so it kind of pulls and grabs around the edges. Leave a decent overlap around the edges and wrap it all the way around the piece. It takes a while to get the hang of how much to stretch it without ruining the print pattern. It also takes a while figure out how and where to make relief cuts when wrapping curved pieces (you'll see what I mean).

ToxSocks 06-18-2018 10:43 AM

Kinda diggin' this Matrix Black

https://i.imgur.com/Bzw5H8L.jpg

loochy 06-18-2018 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13597188)

The promoter/primer is a good idea though. It really helped when I did the window trim on my old Cadillac. The first time I did it without promoter/primer and it started peeling up from the edge. After the promoter/primer, it stayed put.
Posted via Mobile Device

ToxSocks 06-18-2018 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13597206)
For interior applications, I recommend 3M scotchprint. I used it in black dry carbon fiber and brushed aluminum. Both looked very nice.

I think they refer to it now as there "1080" product line. Which is what i linked to you, SR.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13597206)
I did the interior of my old Saab with 3M Di-Noc. The Di-Noc is kind of thick and it can be difficult to use on small interior pieces. For interior applications, I recommend 3M scotchprint. I used it in black dry carbon fiber and brushed aluminum. Both looked very nice.

I also covered the white chrome window trim on my old Cadillac with some Vvivid Black Chrome. It was harder to work with and had a tendency to "streak" or "thin out" if heated too much.

Prep - make sure your piece is super clean.

You'll want to use a lot of heat to stretch the vinyl a bit so it kind of pulls and grabs around the edges. Leave a decent overlap around the edges and wrap it all the way around the piece. It takes a while to get the hang of how much to stretch it without ruining the print pattern. It also takes a while figure out how and where to make relief cuts when wrapping curved pieces (you'll see what I mean).

I have a little experience - from owning a heat gun when i had my own business - as well as re-felting pool tables - which is more similar than one would think. Not saying I won't run into some hurdles - I'm sure i'll have to start over on a piece, early on. But it'll be fine.

ToxSocks 06-18-2018 10:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13597218)
I have a little experience - from owning a heat gun when i had my own business - as well as re-felting pool tables - which is more similar than one would think. Not saying I won't run into some hurdles - I'm sure i'll have to start over on a piece, early on. But it'll be fine.

Just be careful with the heat gun. You can overheat it, cause it to become TOO pliable, and tear it. Honestly, a hair dryer is sufficient. On my heat gun i just used the lowest setting.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:50 AM

all the advice is appreciated. thanks.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13597220)
Just be careful with the heat gun. You can overheat it, cause it to become TOO pliable, and tear it. Honestly, a hair dryer is sufficient. On my heat gun i just used the lowest setting.

noted.

tooge 06-18-2018 10:51 AM

I've got something to clean her trim with

loochy 06-18-2018 10:52 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Pic of carbon and brushed aluminum

loochy 06-18-2018 10:53 AM

Oh - BTW, you can order small samples of whatever you want for about $1 apiece. It's worth it when trying to decide what color and texture you want.
Posted via Mobile Device

loochy 06-18-2018 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13597220)

and wear some cloth gloves.. After working with the heat gun all day your fingertips will get very dried out and peely.
Posted via Mobile Device

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13597226)
Pic of carbon and brushed aluminum

oh nice - I will try to post before and after photos. I'm still a month from beginning - as I just dropped $1,200 on body paint - I got my carbon fiber vents painted black - as well as the lip and hood - the hood was already black but started showing minor stress - so got everything done at once - the vents on the hood and the lip were both woven CF in a charcoal color - now it will be all black - it's not ready yet - I'm car-less still for most of this week. :(

Strongside 06-18-2018 10:56 AM

Did this on my BMW M3 a few years back before I sold it. My brother runs a signage shop and does vehicle wraps including trim and paint replacements. He used carbon fiber vinyl on mine and it looked pretty incredible. Impossible to distinguish from the real thing.

Al Bundy 06-18-2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13597201)
https://multimedia.3m.com/mws/media/...-for-print.pdf

Most recently ive used the Brushed Black Metallic. Looks killer. Doesn't look good with the clear though lol.

I like that Satin Key West... but it would not go with the red on my Malibu.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:57 AM

loochy did you do you console?

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 13597234)
Did this on my BMW M3 a few years back before I sold it. My brother runs a signage shop and does vehicle wraps including trim and paint replacements. He used carbon fiber vinyl on mine and it looked pretty incredible. Impossible to distinguish from the real thing.

well that's good - that's what I own - an e92 coupe

Simply Red 06-18-2018 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Strongside (Post 13597234)

I'll be honest - I'm EASILY the most concerned w/ the steering wheel trim as well as the console. I did see you can remove that round knob - i-drive or whatever it's called. That's good to see. but still - the disassembly won't be fun - same w/ the wheel - I'll have to remove the airbag.

MIAdragon 06-18-2018 11:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13597241)
I'll be honest - I'm EASILY the most concerned w/ the steering wheel trip as well as the console. I did see you can remove that round knob - i-drive or whatever it's called. That's good to see. but still - the disassembly won't be fun - same w/ the wheel - I'll have to remove the airbag.

For 8-900 you can have actual carbon/clear over factory parts done. You have a nice car, don’t half ass it.

Al Bundy 06-18-2018 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13597237)

I did the bowties on my Malibu with the 3M. Turned out great.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 11:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 13597253)
I did the bowties on my Malibu with the 3M. Turned out great.

nice

loochy 06-18-2018 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13597237)

Yes, I did the console (CF), console bezel (brushed aluminum), gear shift surround (CF), gear shift surround insert (brushed aluminum), the gear shift top knob (brushed aluminum), door trim (CF), glove box trim (CF), glove box button (brushed aluminum), and rear diffuser (CF)
Posted via Mobile Device

Beef Supreme 06-18-2018 11:47 AM

https://media.giphy.com/media/BW53blJg35YOI/giphy.gif

Simply Red 06-18-2018 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13597330)
Yes, I did the console (CF), console bezel (brushed aluminum), gear shift surround (CF), gear shift surround insert (brushed aluminum), the gear shift top knob (brushed aluminum), door trim (CF), glove box trim (CF), glove box button (brushed aluminum), and rear diffuser (CF)
Posted via Mobile Device

Oh I see - so you did more than the simple trim - you did a lot of the body of the interior too?

Simply Red 06-18-2018 11:56 AM

also - was the console a nightmare?

loochy 06-18-2018 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13597357)
Oh I see - so you did more than the simple trim - you did a lot of the body of the interior too?

I covered everything that was fake woodgrain or plain black plastic.

The console was only hard because I had to take it off and I wasn't sure where all of the screws were. The way it was made let me be able to do the wrap in separate pieces with hidden seams, so my stretching and bending were kept to a minimum there.
Posted via Mobile Device

Indian Chief 06-18-2018 07:39 PM

I actually just reupholstered the headliner and pillars on my wife's car. It's obviously not what you're doing but the process is similar. Really plan out any compound curves because those are easily the biggest pain. And it was already mentioned but I'll second the idea of leaving plenty to wrap the ends. You can always trim away if you've overcompensated.

I'm a big DIY guy and I'm glad I did this. I learned a lot. But I'm never doing it again. It was a lot of work.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Indian Chief (Post 13597869)
I actually just reupholstered the headliner and pillars on my wife's car. It's obviously not what you're doing but the process is similar. Really plan out any compound curves because those are easily the biggest pain. And it was already mentioned but I'll second the idea of leaving plenty to wrap the ends. You can always trim away if you've overcompensated.

I'm a big DIY guy and I'm glad I did this. I learned a lot. But I'm never doing it again. It was a lot of work.

Yeah I my only fear is removing the console - the rest is cake - the actual wrapping itself i'm not worried about whatsoever

T-post Tom 06-18-2018 08:15 PM

Tara seems nice.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 13597943)
Tara seems nice.

oh yes!

T-post Tom 06-18-2018 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13597963)
oh yes!

Wrapping trim with Tara.

https://i.imgur.com/UanwnfD.png

SuperBowl4 06-18-2018 09:03 PM

NO

T-post Tom 06-18-2018 09:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperBowl4 (Post 13597999)
NO

Sour grapes. :)

SuperBowl4 06-18-2018 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 13598001)
Sour grapes. :)

Just being honest. Never considered it.

T-post Tom 06-18-2018 09:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperBowl4 (Post 13598002)
Just being honest. Never considered it.

Cheers to diversity of opinion. :toast:

Rain Man 06-18-2018 09:24 PM

This sounds really dangerous.

T-post Tom 06-18-2018 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13598034)

Brave men die only once.

Simply Red 06-18-2018 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13598034)

I'm going to get some assistance with the console from some smarter folks - the others are very basic. BMW has it where these panels snap out. It's not a big deal and the results look fantastic - I'm good with the wrapping in and of itself. I've done similar and I have a lot of intelligence in my hands.

Pasta Little Brioni 06-18-2018 11:50 PM

SimplyPimp

loochy 06-19-2018 05:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13598052)
I'm going to get some assistance with the console from some smarter folks - the others are very basic. BMW has it where these panels snap out. It's not a big deal and the results look fantastic - I'm good with the wrapping in and of itself. I've done similar and I have a lot of intelligence in my hands.

Dont be afraid of it...just try. You won't mess anything up. If it has a wrinkle, just peel it off and start again. The rolls of this stuff are relatively cheap.

Simply Red 06-19-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13598130)
Dont be afraid of it...just try. You won't mess anything up. If it has a wrinkle, just peel it off and start again. The rolls of this stuff are relatively cheap.

werd

Simply Red 06-27-2018 07:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13597209)
Kinda diggin' this Matrix Black

https://i.imgur.com/Bzw5H8L.jpg

dude did they have this on Amazon? I didn't see it at a glance.

Simply Red 06-27-2018 07:57 PM

the only matrix black i see on Amazon requires adhesive - let me know if you se any that's 'ready to wrap.'

TIA

loochy 06-28-2018 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13608642)
the only matrix black i see on Amazon requires adhesive - let me know if you se any that's 'ready to wrap.'

TIA

https://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-10...-1080-mx12.htm

I've ordered from that site before and they are legit.

ToxSocks 06-28-2018 09:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13608642)

TIA

That's not what im seeing. The 3M 1080 series all have self adhesive backs.

https://www.amazon.com/3M-1080-MATRI.../dp/B0771XJX9L

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amazon
The pressure-activated adhesive allows you to slide and reposition the film over the surface of the vehicle until you apply firm pressure."

Maybe this is what's throwing you off?
Quote:

Originally Posted by Amazon
"Rapid Air adhesive needs to be applied dry and can be re lifted, repositioned and stretched before going over with a squeegee.""

I'm pretty sure "Rapid Air adhesive" is what they call their pre-applied adhesive on the back of the vinyl.

ToxSocks 06-28-2018 09:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 13608981)
https://www.metrorestyling.com/3M-10...-1080-mx12.htm

I've ordered from that site before and they are legit.

That link is for the same 3M 1080 vinyl, and it too states that it has a self adhering back.

110% positive you're good to go, SR.

And if in doubt, just call 3M or a 3M distributor to confirm.