ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Correlations Between Punting and Defense and Punting and Winning (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314962)

kccrow 04-17-2018 02:26 AM

Correlations Between Punting and Defense and Punting and Winning

1 Attachment(s)
Well, you guys think I'm a nut... So here it is, the data you've all been waiting so patiently for. I've included the Excel Workbook I used. the 20##P tabs are punting stats, the 20##D are defensive stats with correlations to punting, and the 20##WL tabs are W/L records with correlations to punting. I even made a sheet with all the glorious data in one spot.

There is no strong correlation between having a good punter and how good an NFL defense is and there is no strong correlation between having a good punter and win percentage. So, next time you want to defend a contract to a punter for millions per year, I'm going to tell you that you're an idiot. So long as a punter is NFL caliber, he's simply good enough.

Below are the correlation coefficients. I'll leave it to you folks to pour through the rest of it on your own.

Spoiler!

staylor26 04-17-2018 02:48 AM

News flash:

Dustin Colquitt isn’t making 4 mil per year on his new contract like you said which is what originally started this debate. It’s a slightly above average deal. Also, I don’t think anybody would expect a good punter to have much of a correlation to winning statistically, since they’re ****ing punters.

That still doesn’t mean it’s useless to have a good one week in and week out. You know what’s worse? Paying a guy like Donald Stephenson 4 mil per which is the kind of shitty contract a lot of teams have.

Now, go show us some analytics on short WR’s as proof Tyreek Hill won’t work out at WR! :rolleyes:

O.city 04-17-2018 09:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13519997)
News flash:

Dustin Colquitt isn’t making 4 mil per year on his new contract like you said which is what originally started this debate. It’s a slightly above average deal. Also, I don’t think anybody would expect a good punter to have much of a correlation to winning statistically, since they’re ****ing punters.

That still doesn’t mean it’s useless to have a good one week in and week out. You know what’s worse? Paying a guy like Donald Stephenson 4 mil per which is the kind of shitty contract a lot of teams have.

Now, go show us some analytics on short WR’s as proof Tyreek Hill won’t work out at WR! :rolleyes:

Sure, teams have shitty contracts. Most of them are shitty teams.

If a punter doesn't have much correlation to winning, why over pay or pay one more than the minimum?

staylor26 04-17-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13520176)
Sure, teams have shitty contracts. Most of them are shitty teams.

If a punter doesn't have much correlation to winning, why over pay or pay one more than the minimum?

Don’t fool yourself, just about every team has a shitty contract or two.

Colquitt isn’t being overpayed like he was the last two years. I’m not defending that contract. This one is slightly above average though, and I understand why they chose to keep him around, even though I probably would’ve let him walk.

O.city 04-17-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13520192)
Don’t fool yourself, just about every team has a shitty contract or two.

Colquitt isn’t being overpayed like he was the last two years. I’m not defending that contract. This one is slightly above average though, and I understand why they chose to keep him around, even though I probably would’ve let him walk.

When you're paying guys playing a physical game like this, of course there will be contracts that don't work out. It happens.

I just wasn't sure where the hate towards kccrow was coming from. Seems he's got the data here to show what he's stating.

O.city 04-17-2018 09:57 AM

I think people tend to get confused about analytics and probabilities.

For instance, you used short wr's. I'd imagine there would be a certain size that tends to be more successful. Doesn't mean that a shorter one can't be or whatever.

staylor26 04-17-2018 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13520201)
When you're paying guys playing a physical game like this, of course there will be contracts that don't work out. It happens.

I just wasn't sure where the hate towards kccrow was coming from. Seems he's got the data here to show what he's stating.

He said we were paying Colquitt 4 mil per year and continues to act like that’s the case, which is false. His contract is 12th for Punters. Not that bad at all.

He just annoys me sometimes because he thinks he knows more than the pros when he’s just another idiot on a message board like us, hence me bringing up his stupid take on Hill.

O.city 04-17-2018 09:59 AM

Looks to me like it's 2.5 mil average for the next 3 years

staylor26 04-17-2018 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13520204)
I think people tend to get confused about analytics and probabilities.

For instance, you used short wr's. I'd imagine there would be a certain size that tends to be more successful. Doesn't mean that a shorter one can't be or whatever.

That’s basically what he was saying, even after Hill’s rookie year.

O.city 04-17-2018 10:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13520214)
That’s basically what he was saying, even after Hill’s rookie year.

Well, after his rookie year, he wasn't the most polished WR and was a bit more gadget than he is now.

But I didn't see where he posted that so I won't comment on it.

staylor26 04-17-2018 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13520218)
Well, after his rookie year, he wasn't the most polished WR and was a bit more gadget than he is now.

But I didn't see where he posted that so I won't comment on it.

I’m sorry, but saying that Hill’s height was going to be the thing that kept him from being a good WR at that point was reeruned.

O.city 04-17-2018 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13520220)
I’m sorry, but saying that Hill’s height was going to be the thing that kept him from being a good WR at that point was reeruned.

You don't think height can be a limiting factor at certain positions?

staylor26 04-17-2018 10:10 AM

One more thing, we’re paying our Kicker peanuts and have been for most, if not all, of Reid’s tenure. That certainly softens the blow of overpaying a little for a good/reliable Punter.

staylor26 04-17-2018 10:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13520222)
You don't think height can be a limiting factor at certain positions?

Yes I do, but an inch clearly wasn’t going to make or break Hill after seeing his natural ability in 2016, and I would never flat out write somebody off because of it.

O.city 04-17-2018 10:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13520226)
One more thing, we’re paying our Kicker peanuts and have been for most, if not all, of Reid’s tenure. That certainly softens the blow of overpaying a little for a good/reliable Punter.

So, I do have issue here.

Just because they're paying one position peanuts doesn't mean it's still not an issue to overpay another spot that doesn't necessarily bring value.

You could pay your kicker and punter less and use that money for a different spot that makes a bigger difference.

I think it's obvious however, that the front office and coaching staff here value the punter more than Kccrow does, but that doesn't make it wrong

O.city 04-17-2018 10:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13520229)
Yes I do, but an inch clearly wasn’t going to make or break Hill after seeing his natural ability in 2016, and I would never flat out write somebody off because of it.

It just makes it tougher on someone to have to be an outlier because of a physical attribute.

staylor26 04-17-2018 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13520237)
So, I do have issue here.

Just because they're paying one position peanuts doesn't mean it's still not an issue to overpay another spot that doesn't necessarily bring value.

You could pay your kicker and punter less and use that money for a different spot that makes a bigger difference.

I think it's obvious however, that the front office and coaching staff here value the punter more than Kccrow does, but that doesn't make it wrong

I don’t think there’s anything wrong with Kccrow’s philosophy and I get it, but he described us re-signing Colquitt as a “colossal” mistake, which is a ridiculous exaggeration.

O.city 04-17-2018 10:22 AM

Yeah, I wouldn't go that far

staylor26 04-17-2018 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13520248)
Yeah, I wouldn't go that far

Then he’s calling you an idiot too lol

staylor26 04-17-2018 10:27 AM

All bullshit aside, I like Kccrow and what he brings to the board, so I don’t want to come off like a dick. Thanks for putting in all the work you do man!

O.city 04-17-2018 10:31 AM

Yeah, I'm trying to remember the last good team to have a shitty punter though?

BryanBusby 04-17-2018 12:12 PM

Any team with a good enough Offense couldn't give much of a shit about the punter

kccrow 04-17-2018 02:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13520268)
Yeah, I'm trying to remember the last good team to have a shitty punter though?

Data is hard to read on the board, which is why I didn't post it, but here's a sample from 2017.
Spoiler!

kccrow 04-17-2018 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13520220)

There are very few exceptions to 5'10" being the cutoff point for effective NFL receivers playing on the outside. Even in the slot, there aren't that many exceptions. Either way, I don't think I said anything specific about Hill other than the fact he's a douchebag for what he did to his girlfriend.

kccrow 04-17-2018 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13520206)
He said we were paying Colquitt 4 mil per year and continues to act like that’s the case, which is false. His contract is 12th for Punters. Not that bad at all.

He just annoys me sometimes because he thinks he knows more than the pros when he’s just another idiot on a message board like us, hence me bringing up his stupid take on Hill.

I said 4 million before the contract data got posted to OTC, and I still consider it stupid to sign a punter for anything more than minimums.

You don't like my takes, then go quote the idiots at PFF that are nothing more than a bunch of Brittish douchebags sitting behind a computer desk, eating nachos and haven't so much as even played the game.

Better yet, block me. I'll be blocking your ass.

kccrow 04-17-2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13520261)
All bullshit aside, I like Kccrow and what he brings to the board, so I don’t want to come off like a dick. Thanks for putting in all the work you do man!

**** off.

staylor26 04-17-2018 03:09 PM

LMAO

You’re such a ****ing pussy

I should’ve known you couldn’t handle it. Didn’t you threaten to leave forever because somebody hurt your feelings?

Your talent evaluation skills suck ass anyways. I was just trying to be nice.

kccrow 04-17-2018 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13520668)
LMAO

You’re such a ****ing pussy

I should’ve known you couldn’t handle it. Didn’t you threaten to leave forever because somebody hurt your feelings?

Your talent evaluation skills suck ass anyways. I was just trying to be nice.

Look an internet tough guy. I can 100% guarantee you wouldn't say this to my face, but then of course you don't have a clue who I am or what I look like and that's probably a good thing in your favor.

You're just another dumbass piece of shit that doesn't bring anything of quality to this board, but sure likes to prance around calling everyone else's shit garbage. Dumbass mother****er.

staylor26 04-17-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13520676)
Look an internet tough guy. I can 100% guarantee you wouldn't say this to my face, but then of course you don't have a clue who I am or what I look like and that's probably a good thing in your favor

You're just another dumbass piece of shit that doesn't bring anything of quality to this board, but sure likes to prance around calling everyone else's shit garbage. Dumbass mother****er.

I’m the internet tough guy? That’s ironic considering what you followed that up with. This is the second time I’ve heard you talk about fighting after you got your feelings hurt on CP, hence why I’m calling you a pussy. Who lets a stranger on a football forum get them so butthurt?

You talking like you’re the baddest mother****er on the planet (no pun intended) is absolutely hilarious though. Real badasses know there’s always somebody badder. That’s how I know you’re full of shit.

staylor26 04-17-2018 03:31 PM

Quote:

Better yet, block me. I’ll be blocking your ass
Such a badass line from a badass mother****er

LMAO

kccrow 04-17-2018 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13520686)
I’m the internet tough guy? That’s ironic considering what you followed that up with. This is the second time I’ve heard you talk about fighting after you got your feelings hurt on CP, hence why I’m calling you a pussy. Who lets a stranger on a football forum get them so butthurt?

You talking like you’re the baddest mother****er on the planet (no pun intended) is absolutely hilarious though. Real badasses know there’s always somebody badder. That’s how I know you’re full of shit.

I'm not butthurt, I just think you're a stupid mother****er that talks out of his ass. The only one really upset is you, which is why you continue to drag this out and try to get the last word in. Who am I asking to fight? If I'm such a pussy, I'll give you my address to come say it to my face. Would that make you feel all warm and fuzzy inside?

Hog's Gone Fishin 04-17-2018 05:19 PM

I didn't read thru the thread but I can tell you that punter from texas can win a game for you. When you drop 27 punts in one game on the 1 yard line your defense should get at minimum 3 safetys. 6-0 wins every time.

kccrow 04-17-2018 05:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 13520846)
I didn't read thru the thread but I can tell you that punter from texas can win a game for you. When you drop 27 punts in one game on the 1 yard line your defense should get at minimum 3 safetys. 6-0 wins every time.

Hey, 27 in one game? I might have to change my theory.

O.city 04-17-2018 08:03 PM

lol this thread got fun

BryanBusby 04-17-2018 09:45 PM

say that to my face ****er not online and see what happens

Chargem 04-21-2018 02:34 AM

I've skipped a lot of posts in here because of all the shade being thrown, but I was just wondering if a punter has as much value as a holder for kicks as he does for punting.

I doubt there are stats correlating missed kicks with blame on the kicker/holder/snapper though to be able to dig into this?

kccrow 04-21-2018 12:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargem (Post 13525798)
I've skipped a lot of posts in here because of all the shade being thrown, but I was just wondering if a punter has as much value as a holder for kicks as he does for punting.

I doubt there are stats correlating missed kicks with blame on the kicker/holder/snapper though to be able to dig into this?

I think that would be a film dig kind of deal and would be really hard to pull off. Not only that, some teams have a backup QB hold, some have the P hold. You'd be getting a mixed bag there. I wouldn't expect there to be anything significant there, but that's me just saying that based on what I observe and nothing concrete.

Chargem 04-21-2018 02:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13526075)
I think that would be a film dig kind of deal and would be really hard to pull off. Not only that, some teams have a backup QB hold, some have the P hold. You'd be getting a mixed bag there. I wouldn't expect there to be anything significant there, but that's me just saying that based on what I observe and nothing concrete.

Yeah I knew it would be a pain to get any decent data. I was just thinking my gut feeling is more kicks get missed because of the snapper/holder combo than the kicker himself.

ntexascardfan 04-21-2018 02:31 PM

I'm not sure those are the right things to be measuring.

To really determine the effectiveness of a good punter you'd have to measure the effect he has on the defense, not directly correlating a team with good defense to the quality of their punter.

Does having a top five punter in the league v. a replacement level punter keep points off the board, does it make teams have to drive more of the field to score?

A good defense doesn't need a great punter to be good, but how much better does having a great punter make a good defense? That's the question that needs to be asked.

Anecdotally, I would point to the Texas v. Mizzou bowl game last year for what an elite punter can do to a teams offense. If you want to tell me that Mizzou starting over 1/2 of their drives inside their own 15 yard line didn't have an affect on that game I have a bridge in New York I'd like to sell ya.

kccrow 04-21-2018 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntexascardfan (Post 13526190)

To really determine the effectiveness of a good punter you'd have to measure the effect he has on the defense, not directly correlating a team with good defense to the quality of their punter.

Does having a top five punter in the league v. a replacement level punter keep points off the board, does it make teams have to drive more of the field to score?

A good defense doesn't need a great punter to be good, but how much better does having a great punter make a good defense? That's the question that needs to be asked.

Anecdotally, I would point to the Texas v. Mizzou bowl game last year for what an elite punter can do to a teams offense. If you want to tell me that Mizzou starting over 1/2 of their drives inside their own 15 yard line didn't have an affect on that game I have a bridge in New York I'd like to sell ya.

I think you need to look at the data and your question will be answered... I'm not getting into another argument over this because someone can't read it.

ntexascardfan 04-21-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13526208)
I think you need to look at the data and your question will be answered... I'm not getting into another argument over this because someone can't read it.

It's a poor presentation and what you presented doesn't answer the questions I posted above. I'm a data analyst for a living.

Post your data up in a google drive spreadsheet.

kccrow 04-21-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntexascardfan (Post 13526214)
It's a poor presentation and what you presented doesn't answer the questions I posted above. I'm a data analyst for a living.

Post your data up in a google drive spreadsheet.

I posted the excel spreadsheet in the only format this forum accepts, which is 97-2003 xls. You can open it in any later version and save it.

kccrow 04-21-2018 02:54 PM

Just so you know, I did correlate the number of punts inside the 20 versus points per game and yards per game by defenses. The data you want is there.

ntexascardfan 04-21-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13526219)
Just so you know, I did correlate the number of punts inside the 20 versus points per game and yards per game by defenses. The data you want is there.

No, it's not...because it's not answering the question I posed.

Which is how much better does a top 5 punter v. a replacement level punter effect the game.

Simplistically posting points and ypg and then the correlation between that and the number of times a punter puts the ball inside the 20 is a poor metric.

A very basic take down of that metric is the fact that teams with poor offenses will tend to have a higher usage rate of their punter, giving that punter, regardless of his quality, more chances to knock down punts inside the 20 yard line.

The Jets had the most punts in the NFL in 2017 and the 3rd most punts knocked down inside the 20. The Jets also had one of the poorest offenses in the NFL in 2017. The Jets also had one of the lowest % of punts inside the 20 in the NFL last season.

Your metrics are way too basic to be evaluating the impact a great punter has on a team. Which, is why the formula needs to be built to determine the effect that a great punter over replacement level has on a team. You can't directly marry punting average/IN 20, net, etc., to defensive rankings and call it a day.

A more compelling measurement would be the % of punts inside the 20 yard line. From a high level 8 of the top 10 teams in the NFL last year in that statistic were in the top 15 in the league in defensive points per game. 6 of the top 10 in PPG were also top 10 in % of total punts inside the 20.

You need to determine how much better or worse a team would be with a great punter. Does having a great punter mean instead of giving up 21.3 points a game the team now gives up 20.5? If so, what value does that give to the teams over the course of a season.

Your simplistic tables and expression of the statistics don't get the job done.

kccrow 04-21-2018 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntexascardfan (Post 13526233)
No, it's not...because it's not answering the question I posed.

Which is how much better does a top 5 punter v. a replacement level punter effect the game.

Simplistically posting points and ypg and then the correlation between that and the number of times a punter puts the ball inside the 20 is a poor metric.

A very basic take down of that metric is the fact that teams with poor offenses will tend to have a higher usage rate of their punter, giving that punter, regardless of his quality, more chances to knock down punts inside the 20 yard line.

The Jets had the most punts in the NFL in 2017 and the 3rd most punts knocked down inside the 20. The Jets also had one of the poorest offenses in the NFL in 2017. The Jets also had one of the lowest % of punts inside the 20 in the NFL last season.

Your metrics are way too basic to be evaluating the impact a great punter has on a team. Which, is why the formula needs to be built to determine the effect that a great punter over replacement level has on a team. You can't directly marry punting average/IN 20, net, etc., to defensive rankings and call it a day.

A more compelling measurement would be the % of punts inside the 20 yard line. From a high level 8 of the top 10 teams in the NFL last year in that statistic were in the top 15 in the league in defensive points per game. 6 of the top 10 in PPG were also top 10 in % of total punts inside the 20.

You need to determine how much better or worse a team would be with a great punter. Does having a great punter mean instead of giving up 21.3 points a game the team now gives up 20.5? If so, what value does that give to the teams over the course of a season.

Your simplistic tables and expression of the statistics don't get the job done.

For starters, great idea. However, you've made absolutely false statements on rankings for 2017.

Here is PTS/G and %IN 20 Rank Sorted Low to High
Spoiler!

Here is YDS/G and %IN 20 Ranks Sorted Low to High
Team Yds/G %IN 20 Rank
Spoiler!

I also ran the correlations on PTS/G to %IN 20 and YDS/G to %IN 20 and they are here:

Spoiler!

kccrow 04-21-2018 04:01 PM

I read something you said wrong, looking at it now

kccrow 04-21-2018 04:21 PM

Ok, so you weren't wrong to say 8 of the top 10 in PPG were top 15 in Punts inside the 20%. However, this theory doesn't really hold up in other years in the data set. Also, I've shown no strong correlation. There also isn't a strong correlation between YDS/G and Punts inside the 20 %.

Despite the fact that we haven't found any strong indicator that punting affects defense in a meaningful way this did prompt me to do one more data set, and that is Win % versus Punt IN 20 % and that has given the strongest correlation of all data.

Spoiler!

This is surprising, because one would expect that if they did affect W% they'd also affect Defensive performance. That really doesn't seem to be the case.

kccrow 04-21-2018 04:44 PM

Number of teams in the top 10 in % of Punts IN 20 that were also in top 15 in PTS/G

2017: 8
2016: 6
2015: 5
2014: 6
2013: 5

What this tells me is that if you have a punter that is in the top 30% of the league in % IN 20, then you've got about a 60% chance of being in the top half the league in PTS/G. But, if you have one of the 70% of the rest of the punters, you still have a 40% shot... However, 2017 skews the data and if we were to regress that value more towards the mean (6), we'd end up closer to a 55%/45% split.

More to follow...

KChiefs1 04-21-2018 05:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ntexascardfan (Post 13526190)

The Texas punter was the MVP of that bowl game. He’s a helluva punter.

kccrow 04-21-2018 06:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 13526367)
The Texas punter was the MVP of that bowl game. He’s a helluva punter.

I agree with him on one note, occasionally a great punter can affect a game in a big enough way that it's significant in the team winning. However, the data clearly shows it doesn't over the course of a season and it doesn't over the course of several seasons.

The point of it all, to me, is to ask yourself whether or not it's actually worth spending high dollars on a "great" punter when, statistically, it really doesn't make much of a (if any) difference?

If you can spend low draft capital, or even sign a punter as an UDFA, and he will perform in line with NFL standards at the position, there isn't a clear statistic that I've found that correlates it being any worse than the best in the game over the long-haul.

One thing I'm looking into right now is the differences between punters that are 1 standard deviation below the mean in terms of IN 20 % and those that are 1 standard deviation above the mean. This should give me a better idea of impact of a bad punter versus great punter.

kccrow 04-21-2018 07:13 PM

Number of Punters above and below one standard deviation from the mean by year:

2017: >1STDEV = 5, <1STDEV = 3
2016: >1STDEV = 6, <1STDEV = 4
2015: >1STDEV = 6, <1STDEV = 6
2014: >1STDEV = 7, <1STDEV = 8
2013: >1STDEV = 2, <1STDEV = 5

Here are the approximate ranges within 1STDEV of the mean, so the data I worked with were for punters above and below these:

2017 1STDEV = 42.98% to 30.42%
2016 1STDEV = 44.69% to 29.99%
2015 1STDEV = 42.29% to 27.85%
2014 1STDEV = 41.68% to 28.90%
2013 1STDEV = 41.41% to 28.59%

I combined these into 1 list to get some data, and so I ended up with 26 punters in total in each category.

>1STDEV
Average %IN20 = 46.4% (Min 42.5%)
Average W% = 59.6%
Average PTS/G = 20.9
Average YDS/G = 344.4

<1STDEV
Average %IN20 = 26.1% (Max 30.0%)
Average W% = 35.1%
Average PTS/G = 24.2
Average YDS/G = 352.6

If I take the data set as a whole I get the following correlations:
IN20% to YDS/G = -0.140
IN20% to PTS/G = -0.430
IN20% to W% = 0.565

What I've learned. It is better to have a great punter in terms of %IN20 than an absolutely shitty punter. That said, overall that means you need to find a punter that is within 1STDEV of the mean or better. It may indicate as well that if you have a punter that is better than one standard deviation from the mean, he is an advantage.

In case you're curious, here's the best and worst through the past 5 years in terms of %IN 20.

Spoiler!

kccrow 04-21-2018 07:47 PM

Looking into Net Average, in the same way I looked at %IN 20, I came away with results that indicate Net Average is not a factor.

Number of Punters above and below one standard deviation from the mean by year:

2017: >1STDEV = 5, <1STDEV = 4
2016: >1STDEV = 5, <1STDEV = 4
2015: >1STDEV = 5, <1STDEV = 5
2014: >1STDEV = 5, <1STDEV = 6
2013: >1STDEV = 5, <1STDEV = 3

Here are the approximate ranges within 1STDEV of the mean, so the data I worked with were for punters above and below these:

2017 1STDEV = 42.30 to 39.14
2016 1STDEV = 42.21 to 38.44
2015 1STDEV = 41.68 to 38.16
2014 1STDEV = 41.30 to 37.73
2013 1STDEV = 41.55 to 37.48

I combined these into 1 list to get some data, and so I ended up with 25 punters above and 22 punters below 1STDEV.

>1STDEV
Average Net = 42.9
Average W% = 50.75%
Average PTS/G = 22.4
Average YDS/G = 348.2

<1STDEV
Average Net = 37.2
Average W% = 47.44%
Average PTS/G = 22.8
Average YDS/G = 337.7

If I take the data set as a whole I get the following correlations:
NetAve to YDS/G = 0.164
NetAve to PTS/G = -0.080
NetAve to W% = 0.065

After seeing all of this data, I can pretty well conclude that the only real factor you need to look at with a punter is % inside the 20. That seems to be the only factor that has any significant impact on games and it seems to do so in terms of PTS/G and W%. Now the question is, at what point is there a cutoff where it no longer matters? This would tell me a reasonable break in what should define a punter "worth paying" versus one that isn't. My next question would be, at what point is the cutoff for bad punters? I'm working on formulating how I want to tackle these questions. Basically, I have to continue to include punters by %IN 20 in tiers until I reach a 50% mark for win percentage, IMO. If anyone has a suggestion, feel free to chip in.

Chiefshrink 04-21-2018 09:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 13526505)
After seeing all of this data, I can pretty well conclude that the only real factor you need to look at with a punter is % inside the 20. That seems to be the only factor that has any significant impact on games

Considering that Peters,Hali and Johnson are gone and Ford,KPass are still question marks, with Amerson and Fuller getting acclimated with Fuller being the only real starting CB with no hard hitting safety, with inconsistent d-line play; our defense is still very suspect and why a good punter helps because when our offense gets stopped it will now be between the 40's with Mahomes(where a finesse punt is needed more often) as opposed to being stopped more often than not inside our 40 with Smith at QB(where you need a booming punt).

With Mahomes now at QB with still a very suspect defense you need finesse punting more than ever pinning back the opposing offense giving your suspect defense more of a chance for a stop and why Colquit got paid. Veatch recognizes his defense needs help in the field position game for sure.

kccrow 04-21-2018 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 13526567)
Considering that Peters,Hali and Johnson are gone and Ford,KPass are still question marks, with Amerson and Fuller getting acclimated with Fuller being the only real starting CB with no hard hitting safety, with inconsistent d-line play; our defense is still very suspect and why a good punter helps because when our offense gets stopped it will now be between the 40's with Mahomes(where a finesse punt is needed more often) as opposed to being stopped more often than not inside our 40 with Smith at QB(where you need a booming punt).

With Mahomes now at QB with still a very suspect defense you need finesse punting more than ever pinning back the opposing offense giving your suspect defense more of a chance for a stop and why Colquit got paid. Veatch recognizes his defense needs help in the field position game for sure.

I was just talking with a friend about this very thing.

We also discussed looking at how offensive performance affects Punt Inside 20 %. I think there's a solid chance it is a factor. Just looking at the data I've poured through and the teams I see having punters at the worst end of that, like Buffalo, Cleveland, New York, etc, I just want to see how it looks. I've put way too much time into this tonight and I'm not any further.

I'm looking for more beyond Dustin Colquitt though in all of this. I want to see if there really is a reason to pay a punter good money and when that situation should exist from a statistical perspective. I think I'm close to that answer now, but I don't know if I can take it much further.

It's been forever since I got my undergrad degree in mathematics. I haven't used it for a very long time, especially anything beyond basic algebra because of the field I'm in. I don't' have the time nor do I remember much on multivariate analysis. I'd love to see someone that does take this to another level. It'd be interesting to see it.