ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Plaza III To Close (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314030)

Titty Meat 02-21-2018 12:29 AM

Plaza III To Close

I remember when Carl took Ed Hartwell there LMAO

https://mobile.twitter.com/afgutierr...12541725413376

Live right by the plaza and hardly ever go. There's not much although I hear a Shake Shack is coming.

suzzer99 02-21-2018 12:37 AM

Apparently at one time Plaza III was so big they branched out and opened a restaurant in Boston. I know a guy who waited tables there.

Simply Red 02-21-2018 12:40 AM

you know I never went there - I think all of my family has one time or another.

Fish 02-21-2018 01:01 AM

Really good steak. Really overpriced.

Plaza is going through quite a phase right now. Business rent there must really suck...

Nickhead 02-21-2018 02:15 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13428080)

Plaza is going through quite a phase right now. Business rent there must really suck...

soon enough, more people will demand delivery service for fine dining, and accept the fact the food is 40 minutes late, cold, stale, dry whatever, and still be okay with it because they didn't have to leave the house :D

oh wait, that's what's happening now. if you don't deliver or uber food, you are losing money :thumb:

eDave 02-21-2018 02:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 13428100)
soon enough, more people will demand delivery service for fine dining, and accept the fact the food is 40 minutes late, cold, stale, dry whatever, and still be okay with it because they didn't have to leave the house :D

oh wait, that's what's happening now. if you don't deliver or uber food, you are losing money :thumb:

I would NEVER order Plaza III to be delivered and I don't want to meet the man who would. Better to just splat one on a skillet at home and heat some tater tots and Kraft macaroni and cheese. Throw some buttered toast in the toaster while you are at it.

Get it delivered and you still have to put it onto plates and such and heat again. All while the girlfriend is bitching and moaning if it's ready yet. Bitch, does it LOOK like it's ready? Shut up.

Going to a joint like that is half the experience anyway.

Nickhead 02-21-2018 02:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 13428103)
I would NEVER order Plaza III to be delivered and I don't want to meet the man who would. Better to just splat one on a skillet at home and heat some tater tots and Kraft macaroni and cheese. Throw some buttered toast in the toaster while you are at it.

Get it delivered and you still have to put it onto plates and such and heat again. All while the girlfriend is bitching and moaning if it's ready yet. Bitch, does it LOOK like it's ready? Shut up.

Going to a joint like that is half the experience anyway.

i agree, and am with you, but, the trend :D

more people here go to gas stations for a loaf of bread simply because it's closer, even though it is twice as expensive. :thumb:

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 03:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suzzer99 (Post 13428064)
Apparently at one time Plaza III was so big they branched out and opened a restaurant in Boston. I know a guy who waited tables there.

I knew there was one in KC. Jacksonville, and Boston. Both Jacksonville and Boston were franchises sold about 13-14 years ago, not operated by Haddad Restaurant Group. Jacksonville lasted a couple of years (4) but Boston made it 8-9 years.

Haddad seems to be all about franchising,

https://s3-media2.fl.yelpcdn.com/bph...CC9JApGA/o.jpg

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 03:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13428068)
you know I never went there - I think all of my family has one time or another.

We used to eat there every Thanksgiving if we were in town and then go to the lighting ceremonies. It was about the only time I could WOW my mother and father in law.

With all the great places to eat steak, and myself preferring to cook steak at home, I was surprised it lasted as long as it did after failing to expand. I think the writing was on the wall but new owners of the Plaza have debt service to deal with and probably bumped the rent, big time.

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 03:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 13428114)
i agree, and am with you, but, the trend :D

more people here go to gas stations for a loaf of bread simply because it's closer, even though it is twice as expensive. :thumb:

You mean the ones on SNAP? :D:D

I have noticed that bread section in my huge grocer has been reduced, not so the last time I grabbed low carb tortillas at Wal-mart ($3.19 vs 4.29).

I do get my craft beer delivered now. Just exchange the growler and it's $15 delivered. Free pizza delivery with beer too. Tipping not allowed on beer. Stupid local law.
The only other thing I get delivered is Chinese and it will burn you it's so hot.

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 03:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13428080)

Plus Plaza rent has a % of volume clause so if your tight, you're screwed.

LoneWolf 02-21-2018 04:59 AM

Cooper, you have got to be the most know-it-all, look at me blowhard that has ever graced CP. This was a thread about a restaurant closing and you somehow try to make it about you and your personal delivery choices. Just shut the **** up already.

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 05:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 13428132)
Cooper, you have got to be the most know-it-all, look at me blowhard that has ever graced CP. This was a thread about a restaurant closing and you somehow try to make it about you and your personal delivery choices. Just shut the **** up already.

Get your wife's buttplug inserted sideways in your ass this morning?

Sassy Squatch 02-21-2018 05:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13428138)

He's right. You've somehow managed to finangle your sniveling elitism into this thread. We don't need 3 posts from you about how you get your beer delivered and whatever the **** else you're on about. Stick to stalking Clay.

LoneWolf 02-21-2018 06:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13428138)

I got a buttplug inserted sideways in my ass once. My buttplug delivery guy, he also delivers my craft beer for no extra charge with a free pepperoni pizza, was walking up the steps to my home. I was grilling some Wagyu steaks when I saw him coming up the steps. By the way, have I ever told you I have experience raising Wagyu cattle? Anyway, I sent to meet him at the door and as I opened the door he tripped on the top step and fell into me. As we both hit the floor, I fell o the buttplug and it went right up my pretentious ass through my designer denim jeans.

Eleazar 02-21-2018 06:28 AM

Before I opened this thread I thought to myself, "this is CP, so when I open this there will be at least one person saying it sucks and they make better stuff at home all the time", just like how we could all run the chiefs franchise better, bang bikini models 3 at a time, made a zillion dollars in bitcoin, and have 10% body fat and a 10 inch crank.

dirk digler 02-21-2018 06:30 AM

I have been there a few times but not lately. Probably had the best steak I have ever ate and will always remember my uncle getting the prime rib rare and eating it all bloody.

That was the Saturday night I took my mom and dad there for their 50th wedding anniversary and was walking out and met Al Davis who was in town for the next days game.

BryanBusby 02-21-2018 06:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 13428152)
I got a buttplug inserted sideways in my ass once. My buttplug delivery guy, he also delivers my craft beer for no extra charge with a free pepperoni pizza, was walking up the steps to my home. I was grilling some Wagyu steaks when I saw him coming up the steps. By the way, have I ever told you I have experience raising Wagyu cattle? Anyway, I sent to meet him at the door and as I opened the door he tripped on the top step and fell into me. As we both hit the floor, I fell o the buttplug and it went right up my pretentious ass through my designer denim jeans.

Condolences for your Diesel jeans.

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 06:48 AM

Quote:

And you wonder why you were denied access to a firearm.... and maybe get your meds adjusted.

Flying High D 02-21-2018 07:17 AM

Quote:

It happens.

RealSNR 02-21-2018 07:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13428164)
And you wonder why you were denied access to a firearm.... and maybe get your meds adjusted.

If he gets his meds adjusted, he should try just using Costco. It makes way too much sense. My grandmother uses it all the time and she's on like 6 different kinds of pain medicines. The pharmacies will otherwise mess it up because she won't ask the right questions. That's what happened last time we went to Walgreen's, and I said, "If you're going to get your pills messed up, we may as well be shopping for other things." Now she doesn't even have to leave the house.

https://www.costco.ca/wcsstore/Costc...p-hero2-en.jpg

HemiEd 02-21-2018 07:45 AM

It has been a few years, but we went to a fancy restaurant on the Plaza that had an imported stained glass part of the ceiling in the dining area. Kind of round if I remember correctly.

That impressed me more than the food.

Would that have been Plaza III?

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 07:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13428178)
It has been a few years, but we went to a fancy restaurant on the Plaza that had an imported stained glass part of the ceiling in the dining area. Kind of round if I remember correctly.

I believe that would be Bristol, in the mid 90's? now Capital Grill there is quite a story of the dome's relocation to the Town Center location.

https://resizer.otstatic.com/v2/phot...e/23802871.jpg

Dayze 02-21-2018 08:06 AM

I' ve only eaten there once, probably 3 or 4 years ago. I thought it was really good.
Price wise, it's definitely not on my radar 99% of the time; maybe every few years for a special occasion or something. I think my steak was $45.....nearly shit when I read that. but....it was ****ing good. Worth $45?....dunno. Service was excellent though.

raybec 4 02-21-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

This dude cracks me up

Titty Meat 02-21-2018 08:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13428187)
I believe that would be Bristol, in the mid 90's? now Capital Grill there is quite a story of the dome's relocation to the Town Center location.

McCormicks and Schmitts sp?

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 08:27 AM

I had almost forgot about the club in the basement, at one time one of the hottest, if not, at least "the" place to be seen in the city.

Does anyone know what's happened with that over the years?

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 08:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 13428226)

Thank you, I had just thought of that. I never remember it's there, that's a great place or was to get cocktails and taster's menu grub on Friday nights.

https://resizer.otstatic.com/v2/phot...e/24606936.jpg

Chiefs Moon 02-21-2018 08:32 AM

One of the more over-rated restaurants in Kansas City.

MahiMike 02-21-2018 08:34 AM

Sucks to see KC icons disappear. I never ate there myself but then again, I've only eaten at Ruth Chris on the company dime. I'm too cheap to pay for something I can make myself but that's just me. Better to have such places for travelers to KC. These places are great for the city.

Why Not? 02-21-2018 08:46 AM

Ate there once or twice. Pretty good. Not totally sure I could tell the difference in a blind taste test between their steak, Hereford House, Etc.

raybec 4 02-21-2018 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 13428251)
Ate there once or twice. Pretty good. Not totally sure I could tell the difference in a blind taste test between their steak, Hereford House, Etc.

Cooper will be along directly to school you on the differences.

Why Not? 02-21-2018 08:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 13428255)

Lol

bobbymitch 02-21-2018 09:24 AM

Nabil owned, or used to own, four restaurants in the Plaza. So maybe the money just isn't there anymore? His Winstead's are still going strong.

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 09:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 13428251)

Hereford house's steaks smelled like gasoline. ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

And **** you tooROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

wazu 02-21-2018 09:31 AM

Bummed to see this. My wife and I used to go there for special occasions. The basement was a really cool dance area with jazz/big band playing live on weekends.

BlackHelicopters 02-21-2018 09:32 AM

4 years in KC, never went.

O.city 02-21-2018 09:33 AM

It was a good solid steakhouse

I liked other better but it was good.

Dartgod 02-21-2018 09:36 AM

You think that they would have learned their lesson when Plaza I and Plaza II failed.

Why Not? 02-21-2018 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13428304)
Hereford house's steaks smelled like gasoline. ROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

And **** you tooROFLROFLROFLROFLROFL

Lol. We've clearly huffed different brands of gasoline.

HemiEd 02-21-2018 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13428187)

That is it! You came through again!

In fact, it almost looks like that picture was taken from the seat I was sitting in.

It was quite a ceiling, but the food was meh.

HemiEd 02-21-2018 09:46 AM

Quote:

That name rings a bell more than the other one. I worked for CarQuest then Green Light auto parts from 81 to 90, so I would guess it would be in that time frame.

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 13428322)
Lol. We've clearly huffed different brands of gasoline.

Only Top teir.. :D:D:D

It was a joke. I guess you don't remember the arson fire in the crossroads?

raybec 4 02-21-2018 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13428336)
That name rings a bell more than the other one. I worked for CarQuest then Green Light auto parts from 81 to 90, so I would guess it would be in that time frame.

McCormick and Schmick's is a seafood restaurant. And it's pretty darn good.

BlackHelicopters 02-21-2018 09:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 13428255)

Heh

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 09:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13428326)

In fact, it almost looks like that picture was taken from the seat I was sitting in.

That picture is a totally different restaurant than on the Plaza. On the Plaza in the 80's ans early 90's. it had a huge round table underneath then they moved it to Leawood..which is the picture I showed.

I posted this but.. This is M&S's dome but I don't think the time frame fits.

https://resizer.otstatic.com/v2/phot...e/24606936.jpg

The domes are radically different.

tooge 02-21-2018 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13428178)

If it was just a few years ago, probably McCormick and Schmick

tooge 02-21-2018 10:16 AM

I don't go to the Plaza anymore because of the thug assed kids that run around near there. That might be part of the problem for the Plaza. Maybe not. Might be just me.

JoeyChuckles 02-21-2018 10:28 AM

Good. I've been waiting on Plaza IV to be released forever.

Simply Red 02-21-2018 10:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13428118)
We used to eat there every Thanksgiving if we were in town and then go to the lighting ceremonies. It was about the only time I could WOW my mother and father in law.

With all the great places to eat steak, and myself preferring to cook steak at home, I was surprised it lasted as long as it did after failing to expand. I think the writing was on the wall but new owners of the Plaza have debt service to deal with and probably bumped the rent, big time.

yeah - not surprised - I doubt the Plaza ever fully dies - but I'd be shocked if the indoor malls didn't go belly-up (eventually) - Amazon and other online factions have all but killed the indoor malls - Restaurant, Specialized boutiques and financial institutions will (most likely) be enough for the CC Plaza to hold shape.

Dartgod 02-21-2018 10:41 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13428336)

Hmmm, I wonder if we crossed paths back in the day.

I worked auto parts from around 80-81 until the mid 90's.

Were you in a store or warehouse?

Dayze 02-21-2018 10:46 AM

I typically pronounce Plaza II with a long "Plaaaaaaza"; similar to James Bottomtooth from Family Guy....or any of the other rich guy characters.

it makes it sound way more classy.

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 10:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13428408)
yeah - not surprised - I doubt the Plaza ever fully dies - but I'd be shocked if the indoor malls didn't go belly-up (eventually) - Amazon and other online factions have all but killed the indoor malls - Restaurant, Specialized boutiques and financial institutions will (most likely) be enough for the CC Plaza to hold shape.

Nordstrom's is moving their Oak Park Mall store there.

Craig Glazer wrote a piece about this in 2014 almost predicting P lll's demise.

Shopping closer to home, dining closer and with alcohol enforcement...

Lack of places that draw, It's becoming national brands from food to bars. There are no clubs, hot bars anymore.

There is the eastern influx which tends to keep people away too. Crimes in Westport and Plaza areas do not exist in Leawood and OP.

But basically his point has been that there just isn't a reason for the 20-40 somethings to go there anymore when the suburbs have built the complexes to compete with the Plaza and compete well.

In closing he said the Plaza needs superstars to attract younger crowds and having a reason NOT to drive through Westwood to get home is reason enough to stay away.

hawkchief 02-21-2018 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bobbymitch (Post 13428300)
Nabil owned, or used to own, four restaurants in the Plaza. So maybe the money just isn't there anymore? His Winstead's are still going strong.

Many Winsteads have died a slow death. The carpet in many has been there about 15 years too long. Guy seems to really milk his biz and not put anything back into them. Plaza III has been dyeing for years.

Simply Red 02-21-2018 10:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13428428)
Nordstrom's is moving their Oak Park Mall store there.

Craig Glazer wrote a piece about this in 2014 almost predicting P lll's demise.

Shopping closer to home, dining closer and with alcohol enforcement...

Lack of places that draw, It's becoming national brands from food to bars. There are no clubs, hot bars anymore.

There is the eastern influx which tends to keep people away too. Crimes in Westport and Plaza areas do not exist in Leawood and OP.

But basically his point has been that there just isn't a reason for the 20-40 somethings to go there anymore when the suburbs have built the complexes to compete with the Plaza and compete well.

In closing he said the Plaza needs superstars to attract younger crowds and having a reason NOT to drive through Westwood to get home is reason enough to stay away.

That makes sense.

Dayze 02-21-2018 10:58 AM

we used to go to M&S each year for our anniversary until 2 years ago when we saw kids everywhere and witnesses a group of them jumping onto the hoods of each parked car along the street. Plus, we used to go there for coffee & to visit the B&N a few times a year

That.

I haven't been in that area since.

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 11:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13428413)

I got my feet wet back then. My back rooms were stocked by Parts Plus and APA before them.

mikeyis4dcats. 02-21-2018 11:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13428408)

Indoor mall death has been on the increase way before online sales. People just don't want to have to walk through a mall to get someplace, they want to park and get in and get out.

Simply Red 02-21-2018 11:33 AM

Quote:

McCormick & Schmick's

Simply Red 02-21-2018 11:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13428326)

while it was the Bristol the walls were brick - silly that they'd REMOVED the brick - I'm not sure the reasoning - certainly it wasn't to IMPROVE the cosmetics.

oldman 02-21-2018 11:37 AM

Quote:

Dude, now there's cola all over my table from laughing so hard. Lesson to you all, never drink and read a LW post at the same time.
Seriously, I always thought there were better steak places in KC, but Plaza III is an icon and I'm sorry to see it go.

Discuss Thrower 02-21-2018 11:58 AM

Was a favorite of my grandparents when they were still alive.

But if I were going to a 'fancy' place for steak, I'm choosing 801 or maybe Sullivan's depending on the reason to said fanciness.

HemiEd 02-21-2018 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 13428340)
McCormick and Schmick's is a seafood restaurant. And it's pretty darn good.

It has been a very long time ago after reflecting on it. I am pretty finicky about sea food having spent so much time on both coasts.
I thought we had steak, but it could have been seafood.
We used to make regular rounds to Union Station, Hereford House, Baby Does (my favorite) and the one we are discussing was a one time thing.
Whatever it was, the ceiling impressed me more than the meal. :D

HemiEd 02-21-2018 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13428413)

Warehouse salesman territory manager, called on Jobbers. Started out with ADI (pro am part stop) that became Carquest, then went to Green Light that became Parts Plus. Had Western Kansas, then southeast Kansas. :D

Had to come to KC for sales meetings on a pretty regular basis.

You?

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 12:15 PM

SR

We know, how long it's been, shit you worked there in the 90's. The picture I posted is the main dining room at their Kansas Location. When they lost their, lease to make room for Jules? Bristol took it apart and reinstalled it in a new building, about a year later. Pissing the Hassad and JC Nichols Co off big time.It was a nice kick in the shorts for kicking them out after 15 years

There is no longer a dome light installed in the ceiling in the current Capitol Grill location. Rumor had it they, Bristol, had sheet rocked over it, when actually they took it with them.

The dome at McCormick & Schmick's is part of the structure and as I recall was built after Bristol was gone. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mc...!4d-94.5932551

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13428531)
Warehouse salesman territory manager, called on Jobbers. Started out with ADI (pro am part stop) that became Carquest, then went to Green Light that became Parts Plus. Had Western Kansas, then southeast Kansas. :D

You?

Did you work for Mathews in Tulsa? (I did business with them in KC in the 90's) Or, ???? their name on SW BLVD and 7th St that was APA or Bumper to Bumper then Parts Plus now a Mexican food processor

Simply Red 02-21-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13428536)
SR

We know, how long it's been, shit you worked there in the 90's. The picture I posted is the main dining room at their Kansas Location. When they lost their, lease to make room for Jules? Bristol took it apart and reinstalled it in a new building, about a year later. Pissing the Hassad and JC Nichols Co off big time.It was a nice kick in the shorts for kicking them out after 15 years

There is no longer a dome light installed in the ceiling in the current Capitol Grill location. Rumor had it they, Bristol, had sheet rocked over it, when actually they took it with them.

The dome at McCormick & Schmick's is part of the structure and as I recall was built after Bristol was gone. https://www.google.com/maps/place/Mc...!4d-94.5932551

The Capital Grille - fine fine bone-in ribeye and lobster mac-n-cheese!

Dartgod 02-21-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13428531)

You?

I am familiar with ADI/Carquest. I started out in 80 or 81 at Hickman Mills Auto Supply, was there for 5 years. We used ADI a lot. Then went to Dave's Auto Parts (4 stores in Johnson Co.) I believe the owner, Dave Duncan, went to work for Carquest sometime after he sold the stores to Parts Plus.

I kind of bounced around after that. Spent a miserable year at a British car parts store, another miserable year or so at Schneider Bailey selling after market air conditioners. Worked for a bit at a place called Motor Pool, then finished up a couple of different stints at O'Reilly's.

I finally got tired of it and went to college to get a degree and a career in IT.

eDave 02-21-2018 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13428318)
You think that they would have learned their lesson when Plaza I and Plaza II failed.

Rainman mult. ^

Dayze 02-21-2018 01:32 PM

Plaza III.5
...now serving chicken tenders.

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 01:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13428643)
I am familiar with ADI/Carquest. I started out in 80 or 81 at Hickman Mills Auto Supply, was there for 5 years. We used ADI a lot. Then went to Dave's Auto Parts (4 stores in Johnson Co.) I believe the owner, Dave Duncan, went to work for Carquest sometime after he sold the stores to Parts Plus.

I kind of bounced around after that. Spent a miserable year at a British car parts store, another miserable year or so at Schneider Bailey selling after market air conditioners. Worked for a bit at a place called Motor Pool, then finished up a couple of different stints at O'Reilly's.

I finally got tired of it and went to college to get a degree and a career in IT.

Dartgod, iirc

BR at 71 nope Peppermill and Richie's Place

ADI that rings a bell, Where was the Warehouse?? APA comes to mind too

I knew Dave Duncan, not well, but dammed that was a long time ago...Dammed if I can't remember all of his stores. Been too long, seems like those days they all kinda looked alike. Dave did go to Carquest, Platte Woods ans 89th and Troost both shuttered. There was a redheaded guy, Camaro, that worked for Parts Plus (didn't they buy Keystone?) as a salesmanthat I worked with...

What was that black haired guys name at SB? And I assume the motor pool was at 38th and Main? Marty Brown... son of a bitch... He was an owner at Keystone/ Bumper to bumper? hooked up Harold Tenenbaum ??? He was a parts hoarder and a shrewd businessman

Which Oreally?

Small enough world?

Beef Supreme 02-21-2018 02:35 PM

This is your chance to open Plaza IV, now with more cowbell.

Simply Red 02-21-2018 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13428722)
Dartgod, iirc

BR at 71 nope Peppermill and Richie's Place

ADI that rings a bell, Where was the Warehouse?? APA comes to mind too

I knew Dave Duncan, not well, but dammed that was a long time ago...Dammed if I can't remember all of his stores. Been too long, seems like those days they all kinda looked alike. Dave did go to Carquest, Platte Woods ans 89th and Troost both shuttered. There was a redheaded guy, Camaro, that worked for Parts Plus (didn't they buy Keystone?) as a salesmanthat I worked with...

What was that black haired guys name at SB? And I assume the motor pool was at 38th and Main? Marty Brown... son of a bitch... He was an owner at Keystone/ Bumper to bumper? hooked up Harold Tenenbaum ??? He was a parts hoarder and a shrewd businessman

Which Oreally?

Small enough world?

You and Dart God should have a nice dinner together just before they close shop at Plaza III - that'd be special.

HemiEd 02-21-2018 03:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13428564)
Did you work for Mathews in Tulsa? (I did business with them in KC in the 90's) Or, ???? their name on SW BLVD and 7th St that was APA or Bumper to Bumper then Parts Plus now a Mexican food processor

No Tulsa business, only Oklahoma store I did business with was the Woolwine store in Guyman.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13428643)

ADI was a really big deal back in the day, and I hadn't thought about Daves in a long time. One of the local salesman took me out there once. Was he the guy that would cut your tie off if you wore one in to his store?ROFL Our salesman made sure I took mine off before we went into that store.

I remember hearing that Motor Pool name, and of course the O'Reilly's thing went bonkers. Spent some time out in LA with Larry O'Reilly at a AWDA conference. One of my neighbors down here retired after 34 years with them.

Your career sounds similar to mine except for the IT part. Good for you!

My education was in electronics so I got back into that for the remainder of my career.

HemiEd 02-21-2018 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13428722)

ADI that rings a bell, Where was the Warehouse??

3155 Terrace, off 7th street traffic way and darn, I can't remember the other main drag off of 35.
The closest bbq joint was Rosedales and I remember thinking "KC is famous for the Q and this is KCq? It sucks!"

***edit*** just came to me, SW Boulevard

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 03:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HemiEd (Post 13428877)
No Tulsa business, only Oklahoma store I did business with was the Woolwine store in Guyman.

ADI was a really big deal back in the day, and I hadn't thought about Daves in a long time. One of the local salesman took me out there once. Was he the guy that would cut your tie off if you wore one in to his store?ROFL Our salesman made sure I took mine off before we went into that store.

I remember hearing that Motor Pool name, and of course the O'Reilly's thing went bonkers. Spent some time out in LA with Larry O'Reilly at a conference. One of my neighbors down here retired after 34 years with them.

Your career sounds similar to mine except for the IT part. Good for you!

My education was in electronics so I got back into that for the remainder of my career.

Where was ADI. All I can place is Carquest in DT St Louis. I used to have accounts with most WD's (or had backdoors) but just can't tag it down.

Didn't the guy from Keystone (Marty Brown) buy it, the same guy who owned Motor Pool? Motor Pool was a service center that Brown opened in properties? he owned that went nowhere. If my spidey senses are any good, I think Duncan worked for Marty then when they bought out Brown: General Parts.

ptlyon 02-21-2018 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13428876)
You and Dart God should have a nice dinner together just before they close shop at Plaza III - that'd be special.

Somebody's jealous

Simply Red 02-21-2018 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 13428935)
Somebody's jealous

Not of Coop - I've already broken bread with DartGod - but I'm a tad jealous of DartGod.

Titty Meat 02-21-2018 05:00 PM

Morton's was the best steakhouse and I've never found anything made like their Chicken Christopher.

cooper barrett 02-21-2018 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13428876)

I'd just take him to Peppermill and drink beer and size up his Pool game. I shot league at both bars near where his store was. There's a 54th St across the way.

I just wonder if this was Plll isn't paying it's way (That property has to be a big nut to cut) or if new Plaza owners are wanting too much rent on a new lease or have requested them to vacate.

Where is the Plaza going to put what is said to be a new 116,000-square-foot store in 2021. It it's not new where might it go? Old Sears? New building on Ward Parkway? Where P III is?

Where do you put 216K SF when 2 floor of Halls was only half that? What's coming down so the 800lb gorilla can have a place?

https://www.google.com/maps/@39.0415.../data=!3m1!1e3