ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Report: Jets will pay “whatever it takes” to get Kirk Cousins (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=314004)

T-post Tom 02-19-2018 10:39 AM

Report: Jets will pay “whatever it takes” to get Kirk Cousins

The Jets apparently want Kirk Cousins. They apparently want him badly enough that they’re willing to break the bank for him.

According to Rich Cimini of ESPN.com, the Jets are “willing to pay whatever it takes” to get him.

This report comes amid a belief that the Jets may be willing to fully guarantee Cousins’ deal. The notion of paying “whatever it takes” becomes far more open-ended than that, especially since there’s no way of knowing what it will take until knowing what another team will pay.

If there’s at least one other team willing to make a similar commitment, the end result could be an auction that drives the market well north of $30 million per year. Assuming, of course, that Cousins would want to actually play for one of the teams willing to break the bank.

During a Super Bowl-week visit to PFT Live, Cousins seemed to suggest that he’s willing to take less to win, while also acknowledging that plenty of winning teams have expensive quarterbacks. Last year, he seemed to suggest that his goal is to make as much as possible.

“[T]here’s other quarterbacks that come after you and it would be almost a selfish move to hurt future quarterbacks who get in a position to have a contract,” Cousins said in January 2017. “And if you don’t take a deal that’s fair to you, then you’re also taking a deal that’s not fair to them and you’re setting them back as well. So there’s different reasons. You just do the best you can.”

Cousins will be doing better than the best any quarterback has ever done, whether it’s with the Jets or another team. Barring a third straight franchise tag from his current team (which remains unlikely, and likely would be scrapped via a grievance), Cousins will become the first healthy franchise quarterback on the right side of 30 to become a free agent in nearly a quarter-century of free agency. Given the $44 million he has made over the last two years, his next deal could push his career earnings toward a quarter-billion.

<iframe src="//vplayer.nbcsports.com/p/BxmELC/nbcsports_embed/select/media/nCtNAHnjUX6G" width="624" height="351" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen>Your browser does not support iframes.</iframe>

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2018/02/19/report-jets-will-pay-whatever-it-takes-to-get-kirk-cousins/

pugsnotdrugs19 02-19-2018 10:40 AM

Annnnnnnnd that’s why they’re the butt****ing Jets.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-19-2018 10:41 AM

Also, this is going to completely f**k the QB market, much like Flacco once did.

raybec 4 02-19-2018 10:42 AM

I really like how in the quote he basically says he has to get as much cash as possible to protect future guys contracts too. Stay strong for the cause Kirk, I know it's a big sacrifice to cash in but it's your obligation to the youngsters.

T-post Tom 02-19-2018 10:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13424891)
Also, this is going to completely f**k the QB market, much like Flacco once did.

Good analogy, it it happens.

threebag 02-19-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 13424886)
Annnnnnnnd that’s why they’re the butt****ing Jets.

Too bad Eugene isn't still there. He just added to the butt****ery

TribalElder 02-19-2018 11:28 AM

Kirk cousins has been overpaid the last 2 years

He isn’t that good

Jets aren’t either though so **** em both

Sassy Squatch 02-19-2018 11:33 AM

Bold negotiating tactic. Lets see if it pays off.

lawrenceRaider 02-19-2018 11:35 AM

If Cousins wants to win he'll get his butt down to Jacksonville ans sign up.

CasselGotPeedOn 02-19-2018 11:36 AM

Donks are gonna end up with Allen or Mayfield lol

raybec 4 02-19-2018 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Superturtle (Post 13424962)
Bold negotiating tactic. Lets see if it pays off.

That's the tactic I used on my house. "I'll PAY ANYTHING!!!!" They fell for it.

Eleazar 02-19-2018 11:44 AM

Say what you will about Cousins, quarterbacks under 30 of his caliber (pretty good) don't hit free agency. It just doesn't happen anymore. If you can't draft one you have to pay up or remain irrelevant. And with a division rival perhaps in pursuit of him, maybe the Jets are feeling like this is their best option with no other notable FAs, with the cupboard bare, and with the draft class lacking.

In any case, we may not like a re-Flaccoing of the market when PM's deal comes up, and he's now entering the second year of a 4 year deal IIRC. Questions about his contract are not all that far off.

O.city 02-19-2018 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 13424975)
Say what you will about Cousins, quarterbacks under 30 of his caliber (pretty good) don't hit free agency. It just doesn't happen anymore. If you can't draft one you have to pay up or remain irrelevant. And with a division rival perhaps in pursuit of him, maybe the Jets are feeling like this is their best option with no other notable FAs, with the cupboard bare, and with the draft class lacking.

In any case, we may not like a re-Flaccoing of the market when PM's deal comes up, and he's now entering the second year of a 4 year deal IIRC. Questions about his contract are not all that far off.

5 year deal

Easy 6 02-19-2018 11:50 AM

I'm usually too hard on Cousins, he is solid enough

But the Jets flat out saying 'please rape us, whatever you wanna do!' is dumb as ****... I'd pick my favorite guy in the draft and never look back, before selling my soul for Kirk Cousins

Hoover 02-19-2018 11:57 AM

This is awesome! Really screws a team like thw Broncos!

Frazod 02-19-2018 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TribalElder (Post 13424959)
Kirk cousins has been overpaid the last 2 years

He isn’t that good

Jets aren’t either though so **** em both

From what I've seen, most Redskins fans see him as a younger Alex Smith.

Frankly, I kind of hope he goes to Denver, and they mortgage the farm to get him.

Sassy Squatch 02-19-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13425010)

Frankly, I kind of hope he goes to Denver, and they mortgage the farm to get him.

Yes.

Eleazar 02-19-2018 12:24 PM

Quote:

I'm sort of torn about that. Cousins would win them a good number of regular season games, even if he's not a threat to become a postseason monster type of QB. That could still hurt the Chiefs long-term over the parade of knuckleheads that Smellway keeps running out there.

pugsnotdrugs19 02-19-2018 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 13424975)

The problem is, Cousins isn’t the kind of guy who is going to lead a team to a title. Giving him a major chunk of your salary cap space is only going to limit your opportunities to surround him with the great team he’s going to need to have any chance in the playoffs.

Might they win 7-10 games a few times? Sure. But they still aren’t going to win a championship.

Hoover 02-19-2018 12:30 PM

1. The team that makes sense for Cousins is the Vikings.
2. Jacksonville will go all "cuss Chiefs" because Bortles has his 5th year option and stick with the guy they drafted dooming the franchise for the next decade.
3. The Broncos are really kinda screwed. Hahahahaha
4. The only way the Browns screw up is if they don't draft a QB number one over all.
5. Everything is shaping up great for the Chiefs as we enter the Mahomes era don't et us down kid!

Mile High Mania 02-19-2018 12:54 PM

Kirk should without a doubt take the best deal available... if that's the Jets, so be it. Denver will either make a push to give him the new biggest contract of all times or they'll watch another team do it and go plan B. We'll see how it all works out.

Randallflagg 02-19-2018 12:57 PM

I can see the QB market getting close to the $200 million mark ver, very soon.....

Rain Man 02-19-2018 12:59 PM

I clearly must be missing some vital information about Kirk Cousins.

Mile High Mania 02-19-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13425071)
I clearly must be missing some vital information about Kirk Cousins.

Not really... look at what SF paid JG. It's what happens in the NFL when you'e a FA QB and big upside.

RealSNR 02-19-2018 01:06 PM

Jeanine Garrafalo already ****ed up the QB market with his overrated as **** ass.

Not much more damage that Kirk Cousins can do.

ChiliConCarnage 02-19-2018 01:09 PM

sign Cousins. Trade for 17 first round picks

Deberg_1990 02-19-2018 01:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 13424987)
I'm usually too hard on Cousins, he is solid enough

But the Jets flat out saying 'please rape us, whatever you wanna do!' is dumb as ****... I'd pick my favorite guy in the draft and never look back, before selling my soul for Kirk Cousins

Everyone bets differently. Some people like to play it safe and go with a known quantity than a complete unknown.

Easy 6 02-19-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Deberg_1990 (Post 13425101)
Everyone bets differently. Some people like to play it safe and go with a known quantity than a complete unknown.

Then the Jets are gonna gamble away their house, the wife, and family betting this way

Pugs is right, Cousins isnt a put the team on your shoulders QB... if they give him a stupid contract, they'll never be able to surround him with enough talent to make them relevant

Simply Red 02-19-2018 01:27 PM

what up Cousins?

I just made that up for this thread!!!!

Simply Red 02-19-2018 01:27 PM

Thank you thank you!

Garcia Bronco 02-19-2018 01:28 PM

Sweet...bid them up.

KChiefs1 02-19-2018 01:30 PM

Aaron Rodgers rejoices!

Bewbies 02-19-2018 01:31 PM

I'd love to see Cousins get a fully guaranteed deal.

Because Brees, Rodgers and Ryan are all due new deals as well.

KChiefs1 02-19-2018 01:32 PM

Quote:

That's exactly what I'm hoping for too.

Otter 02-19-2018 02:10 PM

Since no one has confirmed yet - is it safe to say this in no way effects the Alex trade to skins?

Hoover 02-19-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiliConCarnage (Post 13425091)
sign Cousins. Trade for 17 first round picks

You know....

I don't know, but lets say you are the Radiers. New coach. Moving to a new town.

You have Carr inked to a nice deal for the next five years. With the market for these QBs what its been, how could you not shop around Carr? I mean what has he accomplished? And what would he bring on the trade market. Which is the best move for a team like the Raiders.

Now look, that contract is pretty easy to swallow so long as he plays. And Gruden loves Carr, so I don't expect anything to happen. However, if they can speculate about the Chiefs tradding Peters, why not the Raiders trading Carr and getting a haul from a team like the Browns or something.

Simply Red 02-19-2018 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 13425235)
Since no one has confirmed yet - is it safe to say this in no way effects the Alex trade to skins?

We'll be fine.

Frazod 02-19-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Otter (Post 13425235)

Part of me is worried that something will come up before the trade date to make the Smith deal fall through. Being a Chiefs fan, I'm programmed to expect that kind of shit.

Otter 02-19-2018 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13425253)
Part of me is worried that something will come up before the trade date to make the Smith deal fall through. Being a Chiefs fan, I'm programmed to expect that kind of shit.

My thoughts exactly...

Simply Red 02-19-2018 02:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13425253)

naw it'll materialize.

Simply Red 02-19-2018 02:25 PM

nobody would trade w/ the Redskins again if they pulled a stunt like that.

JakeF 02-19-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BiStateNo (Post 13425069)
I can see the QB market getting close to the $200 million mark ver, very soon.....

I imagine there is a good chance during the next CBA negotiations they come up with a single player max to keep the salary of QBs under control. The NFLPA will agree to it because the money will still have to be paid it will just be spread out over more players. You have to think that all the non-QBs in the league have to be getting pissed that the QBs are screwing their contract value up.

Rain Man 02-19-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mile High Mania (Post 13425076)
Not really... look at what SF paid JG. It's what happens in the NFL when you'e a FA QB and big upside.

That second part. It's that second part that I'm not seeing.

DaneMcCloud 02-19-2018 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13425267)

Not only that but they'd be without a QB because if they Franchise Cousins again, they're looking at paying him $34.5 million in 2018 and they've already let it be known that they don't want him back.

It would be disastrous for their franchise, especially after agreeing to terms with not only the Chiefs but with Alex Smith's agent as well.

Simply Red 02-19-2018 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13425330)
Not only that but they'd be without a QB because if they Franchise Cousins again, they're looking at paying him $34.5 million in 2018 and they've already let it be known that they don't want him back.

It would be disastrous for their franchise, especially after agreeing to terms with not only the Chiefs but with Alex Smith's agent as well.

yes.

Simply Red 02-19-2018 03:06 PM

Not sure if repost or if it even matters - probably a non-story - but just in case I'll paste it below.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.3f0d9e5591cd

Mile High Mania 02-19-2018 03:33 PM

Here is the QB Contract list and when each becomes a FA...

https://overthecap.com/position/quarterback/

This year will be nothing compared to 2019 and 2020, sign your QBs now. The $40M a year QB is not that far away.

TEX 02-19-2018 06:34 PM

Let the Cousins bidding war begin!

:popcorn:

Pasta Little Brioni 02-19-2018 07:50 PM

Franchise QB my ass ROFL Stat whore.

stumppy 02-19-2018 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13425267)

Sure they would. There are 31 other teams that are always looking to improve.
They may not just take them at their word, might require something in writing as soon as a deal is agreed to but yea. If the Redskins have something another team wants they aren't going to not trade based on a deal gone south with the Chiefs.
Not sure why everyone thinks any of the teams wouldn't trade with them in the future.

BryanBusby 02-19-2018 08:18 PM

I think the Jets signing Cousins would be wise on their end.

They've had shit luck with developing a QB and signing Kirk means they can forget Hack ever existed.

He won't ravage that cap, either.

Nickhead 02-20-2018 02:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 13425330)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13425334)
yes.

i am more like, how many teams inquired about alex, versus kc shopping him to teams. if kc was the instigator, it's 'possible' another team could decide to undercut the skins. not saying it would happen, but if that deal broke apart, i think kc would be the indian giver :D

cooper barrett 02-20-2018 02:42 AM

I expect it to get interesting but I doubt the Chiefs would back out. Maybe we'll be seeing Washington trade off Smith as a possibility.

I wonder what the Jets or someone else would give to get Alex with a five year deal, if the market get's crazy and cousins agrees to or gets stuck with the franchise tag or inks a long term deal.

Nickhead 02-20-2018 03:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13426165)
I expect it to get interesting but I doubt the Chiefs would back out. Maybe we'll be seeing Washington trade off Smith as a possibility.

I wonder what the Jets or someone else would give to get Alex with a five year deal, if the market get's crazy and cousins agrees to or gets stuck with the franchise tag or inks a long term deal.

i think the redskins get the better end of the deal personally. no year to year baggage with alex unlike cousins. cousins as predicted, may sign the most lucrative contract for an NFL player ever. there is a huge burden that comes with that, unless he lands in cleveland. even still there is pressure.

just the alex part of the deal, not the other tid-bits :D

Chiefs=Champions 02-20-2018 03:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cooper barrett (Post 13426165)

Wut?

Red Dawg 02-20-2018 05:15 AM

Kirk to Jets. AJ to Denver. Book it.

cooper barrett 02-20-2018 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefs=Good (Post 13426172)
Wut?

I just expect some voodajay on this by the time it plays out.

patteeu 02-20-2018 10:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 13425306)
I imagine there is a good chance during the next CBA negotiations they come up with a single player max to keep the salary of QBs under control. The NFLPA will agree to it because the money will still have to be paid it will just be spread out over more players. You have to think that all the non-QBs in the league have to be getting pissed that the QBs are screwing their contract value up.

Side observation: The franchise tag serves to help spread the money around by partially blocking high end players from free agency, but the players seem to hate it even though most of them benefit.

wazu 02-20-2018 10:35 AM

I hope Denver wins the bidding war.

Dave Lane 02-20-2018 10:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CasselGotPeedOn (Post 13424968)
Donks are gonna end up with Allen or Mayfield lol

Please let it be Mayfield, then bring Gunter back as DC for one game so he can make him turn a new Leaf.

Skyy God 02-20-2018 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13424983)
5 year deal

This, and you can always franchise in year 6.

It’s a long ways off.

Dave Lane 02-20-2018 10:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 13426521)
Side observation: The franchise tag serves to help spread the money around by partially blocking high end players from free agency, but the players seem to hate it even though most of them benefit.

Not if they get hurt or have a bad year.

patteeu 02-20-2018 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 13426547)
Not if they get hurt or have a bad year.

I think you missed my point. The players who benefit are those who aren't good enough to earn the tag (because there's more money left for them). There are far more of them than of the elite tagged players.

Skyy God 02-20-2018 12:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 13426565)
I think you missed my point. The players who benefit are those who aren't good enough to earn the tag (because there's more money left for them). There are far more of them than of the elite tagged players.

It serves QBs well, because they play at a high level until age 35.

Doesn’t work as well for positions that peak early (e.g., RBs like Le’Veon Bell). Extends team control until they’re on the downslope.

The Franchise 02-20-2018 12:17 PM

The New York Post's Brian Costello was told the Jets could offer Kirk Cousins $60 million in the first year of his contract.

New York is reportedly "willing to pay whatever it takes" to land Cousins, so this does not come as a surprise. It also makes some sense for the Jets, who have the cap space to both front-load the contract and make moves to improve the rest of the roster. The Broncos, Vikings, and Cardinals are also teams to watch in the Cousins sweepstakes.

www.rotoworld.com

Mile High Mania 02-20-2018 12:52 PM

Will be interesting to see what he does... he has a few good options. There's no doubt that he'll be more than handsomely compensated. Question will be, how much does he want to saddle the team up with on his cap number. This is where the cap bean counters get paid to work their magic. Teams won't pay it if they can't afford it, the question becomes what does it limit them from doing elswhere.

Von Miller is recruiting him hard - wonder if he'll take a restructure to make it happen? I don't see Cousins going to NY really, honestly think the Vikings and the dome will be pretty appealing to him.

notorious 02-20-2018 01:00 PM

Only 60 million guaranteed? Alex is getting more than that....

JakeF 02-20-2018 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 13426521)

The Franchise Tag is largely just a short term tool. The value of each position will still adjust back to the market rate. QBs contracts are skyrocketing and taking a bigger % of the salary cap.

I believe next year Kirk Cousin will be the first QB to get 30m per for roughly 18% of next year's salary cap. That really cuts into the contract dollars available for the other 52 players.

The Franchise 02-20-2018 02:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13426874)
Only 60 million guaranteed? Alex is getting more than that....

Reading comprehension.

He’d be getting $60 million in his first year.

Bewbies 02-20-2018 03:21 PM

If you're a team who has a TON of cap room this season, why not give him $60-$70M in 1st year comp, tie it to this years cap and then you'd have pretty low cap numbers the rest of the way out.

Maybe you could get the guy a huge number this year and something closer to 10M than to 25M for the remainder...?

MahiMike 02-20-2018 03:26 PM

Is steinbrenner running the Jets now? This feels so Yankee like.

Hog's Gone Fishin 02-20-2018 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bewbies (Post 13427229)
If you're a team who has a TON of cap room this season, why not give him $60-$70M in 1st year comp, tie it to this years cap and then you'd have pretty low cap numbers the rest of the way out.

Maybe you could get the guy a huge number this year and something closer to 10M than to 25M for the remainder...?

Well, because then he could just retire after year 1 and you're a dumbass.

notorious 02-20-2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13427115)
Reading comprehension.

He’d be getting $60 million in his first year.

Oh, I heard 60 on the radio. Didn’t see the post above that clears it up.

Thanks

jallmon 02-20-2018 05:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 13425000)
This is awesome! Really screws a team like thw Broncos!

And hopefully forces them to pay out the ass to trade up to #1 to grab Baker Maysuck.

And Baker promptly shits himself, the team, and the community by being a complete dickweed. Forcing the Donks to to dump him (ala Tebow) and fire horseface.

Hey, a guy can dream.

Bewbies 02-20-2018 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 13427353)
Well, because then he could just retire after year 1 and you're a dumbass.

If you have the cap space it wouldn't have any effect on anything. Well, other than your profit margin as an owner.

eDave 02-20-2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 13427372)
Oh, I heard 60 on the radio. Didn’t see the post above that clears it up.

Thanks

Yea, he's going to get $100m guaranteed. According the PTI guys.

Couch-Potato 02-20-2018 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eDave (Post 13427523)
Yea, he's going to get $100m guaranteed. According the PIT guys.

I've heard others in the past speculate that he'd be the first to get a fully guaranteed as well. For the sake of making the move interesting, I hope he ends up with Jags or Vikes. Money isn't everything.

stumppy 02-20-2018 07:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jallmon (Post 13427437)
And hopefully forces them to pay out the ass to trade up to #1 to grab Baker Maysuck.

And Baker promptly shits himself, the team, and the community by being a complete dickweed. Forcing the Donks to to dump him (ala Tebow) and fire horseface.

Hey, a guy can dream.

Nooooooooooo !

Sweet Daddy Hate 02-21-2018 12:11 AM

It's a damned good thing we can supply them with a moderately valued, middling journeyman!

This all but seals the deal.

GO CHIEFS!

Rausch 02-21-2018 12:12 AM

Denver, get your act together.

Put some reerun $$$ out there and get this done!