ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Chiefs’ running game seeks answers following brutal effort vs. Steelers (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310892)

Eleazar 10-17-2017 09:09 AM

Chiefs’ running game seeks answers following brutal effort vs. Steelers

Chiefs’ running game seeks answers following brutal effort vs. Steelers

BY TEREZ A. PAYLOR
tpaylor@kcstar.com

Somewhat lost in the Chiefs’ inability to slow down running back Le’Veon Bell in their 19-13 loss to the Pittsburgh Steelers on Sunday was their equally distressing inability to get any semblance of a ground game going.

The Chiefs ranked second in the NFL in rushing entering the contest at 156 yards per game, and boasted the NFL’s leading rusher in rookie sensation Kareem Hunt. Yet the Steelers’ 28th-ranked run defense limited the Chiefs to a mere 28 yards on 15 carries, easily one of the worst rushing outputs of coach Andy Reid’s five-year tenure in Kansas City.

“Honestly, we were just hurting ourselves,” said Hunt, who rushed nine times for 21 yards Sunday after averaging more than 100 yards in his first five contests. “We just have to come out and play fast and play harder.”

Much of the Chiefs’ struggles in this area had to do with Pittsburgh, however. The Steelers appeared to focus heavily on taking away the run, as linebackers consistently crashed gaps while defensive linemen Stephon Tuitt, Cam Heyward and Javon Hargrave took turns defeating their blockers.

“They’re gonna be aware of Kareem, just because of the success he’s been having, early on, running the football,” Chiefs offensive coordinator Matt Nagy said.

The Chiefs had a little success when they ran their power-based plays with pulling linemen, but they only dialed those up a few times, instead eschewing those concepts for zone running plays — where linemen all flow to one side, simultaneously creating cutback lanes — that have been so good to them this season.

The Steelers were all over those, however, as the Chiefs’ starting offensive line — which was down a pair of starters in center Mitch Morse and right guard Laurent Duvernay-Tardif — consistently broke down.

And while you could argue the Chiefs simply got impatient with the running game, it’s worth noting that the Chiefs’ lack of success on the ground came despite the fact that the Chiefs often had an “even” box count (the same number of blockers vs. defenders) or even a one-blocker advantage.

Perhaps that’s why the Chiefs threw it 19 more times than they ran it Sunday, despite the fact they’ve generally done a nice job this season mixing the run and pass.

“It’s important to be a balanced football team on offense — you can’t be one-dimensional,” Nagy said. “Being balanced is one of the things I think we’ve done a good job at this year, and depending on the tempo of the game or score of the game, that may swing a little bit one way or another.

“But again … unfortunately for us offensively, it just was a weird day. Things weren’t clicking.”

It speaks to Hunt’s talent that he still finished with 110 yards from scrimmage. It marked his sixth straight game with at least 100 total yards from scrimmage, making him the first NFL rookie to do that. Future Hall-of-Famer Adrian Peterson is the only other player to do so for the first five games of his career.

“For a running back, there’s all different types of phases, so yeah, OK, his numbers weren’t real great running the ball, but he did some great things catching the ball,” Nagy said. “He made some big-time plays when the ball was in his hands, receiving.”

“I have all the confidence in the world that he’s gonna step up this week again, and when we hand the ball off to him, he’ll making positive things happen.”

The Chiefs won’t have much time this week to fix their issues; they head to Oakland to face the Raiders on Thursday night. The Raiders rank 21st in the league vs. the run and surrendered 90 yards on 20 carries in their 17-16 loss to the Los Angeles Chargers on Sunday.

The Chiefs might see a new face in the backfield Thursday, too, as they signed veteran C.J. Spiller for the fourth time in a year on Monday. Spiller offers insurance in case third-down back Charcandrick West, who entered concussion protocol in Sunday's loss to the Steelers, is not able to play vs. the Raiders.

Either way, the Chiefs hope to respond to the disappointing defeat like the Steelers did Sunday following their 30-9 loss to the Jacksonville Jaguars a week prior.

“Teams bounce back — we can go there,” Chiefs coach Andy Reid said. “They were getting beat by the Jags and they bounced back, so you do the same thing. That’s this league.”

http://www.kansascity.com/sports/nfl...179161516.html

TambaBerry 10-17-2017 09:20 AM

the answers are, we have three backup shitty players in the interior of the line

carcosa 10-17-2017 09:20 AM

Is it just me or have we forgotten all the motion and misdirection stuff that worked so well for us early in the season? Wouldn't that help open some holes up? Sometimes it seems like as soon as something proves successful, Andy hates doing it anymore. The ultimate not-broke-fixer.

Hoover 10-17-2017 09:21 AM

Morse, LDT, and Ehinger?

The Franchise 10-17-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carcosa (Post 13157818)
Is it just me or have we forgotten all the motion and misdirection stuff that worked so well for us early in the season? Wouldn't that help open some holes up? Sometimes it seems like as soon as something proves successful, Andy hates doing it anymore. The ultimate not-broke-fixer.

Steelers defense is fast. Don't think it would have worked for them if we had used it more.

Rain Man 10-17-2017 09:22 AM

Quote:

I was just about to ask that myself. No jet sweeps to Tyreek, no shovel passes to Kelce...it seems like the offense went vanilla about two games ago.

RunKC 10-17-2017 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13157822)
Steelers defense is fast. Don't think it would have worked for them if we had used it more.

I wish we would have at least tried. It's bullshit that Andy is so stupid to not use the Kelce option with Tyreek and Hunt in the backfield on that 4th down try.

that play literally has not failed one time all season.

Rain Man 10-17-2017 09:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 13157821)
Morse, LDT, and Ehinger?

I'll grant you the other two, but Ehinger is a mid-round rookie with four career starts. Until he comes back, I view him as a larger Brad Cottam.

The Franchise 10-17-2017 09:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13157826)
I wish we would have at least tried. It's bullshit that Andy is so stupid to not use the Kelce option with Tyreek and Hunt in the backfield on that 4th down try.

Oh don't get me wrong....we should have been using it until they proved that they could shut it down consistently. Reid and the offense got punched in the mouth and decided to ****ing give up until the 3rd quarter.

O.city 10-17-2017 09:25 AM

When you get behind early it's tough to keep running it, especially when it ain't working

I'm gonna go with 3 backup interior OL as a problem

Red Dawg 10-17-2017 09:27 AM

OL is sucking ass. They sucked as in Houston as well.

Dartgod 10-17-2017 09:32 AM

Quote:

Yet the Steelers’ 28th-ranked run defense limited the Chiefs to a mere 28 yards on 15 carries, easily one of the worst rushing outputs of coach Andy Reid’s five-year tenure in Kansas City.
Why does this seem to happen a lot with this team? We can't run against a shitty run defense. Can't get pressure on the QB against a shitty O-line?

Can anyone explain that, besides "because Chiefs"?

RunKC 10-17-2017 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13157847)
Why does this seem to happen a lot with this team? We can't run against a shitty run defense. Can't get pressure on the QB against a shitty O-line?

It was an OL full of backups on Sunday. Last year we could run on them. Ware had over 4 YPC and a TD in the playoff game.

But Andy only gave Ware the rock 8 times because Andy is a pass first moron when we need him to run the damn ball.

wazu 10-17-2017 09:44 AM

It also helps the run game if run plays are actually called. How many were there in the first half?

Easy 6 10-17-2017 09:45 AM

Even with all starters present, they're something of a finesse line that favors mobility over brute force... then throw 3 backups into the interior, and you've got a recipe for tough sledding against physical teams

The Franchise 10-17-2017 09:45 AM

No way should ****ing Erving be in the starting lineup this week. How long has Ehinger been back now? He has to be close to starting. Move either Witzmann to RG or put Ehinger at RG.

Eleazar 10-17-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

We get outschemed and outcoached in every big game against a quality team. That's why.

BlackOp 10-17-2017 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13157824)
I was just about to ask that myself. No jet sweeps to Tyreek, no shovel passes to Kelce...it seems like the offense went vanilla about two games ago.

I noticed that too...at least against the Steelers. I'm not sure if was due to losing Conely/Wilson or game planning for both the Raiders/Pittsburgh. I would think KC would prioritize beating the Raiders as they are divisional.

3 games in 11 days is a ruff roll and sudden injuries complicated it...this was the Chiefs toughest stretch.

KC definitely didn't use much misdirection on Sunday...curious if it was intentional.

ptlyon 10-17-2017 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 13157869)
We get outschemed and outcoached in every big game against a quality team. That's why.

BAM

Rain Man 10-17-2017 10:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 13157862)
It also helps the run game if run plays are actually called. How many were there in the first half?

I don't think we had the ball in the first half. The Steelers won the time of possession 30:00 to 0:00. At least, that was my impression.

gold_and_red 10-17-2017 10:07 AM

With a patchwork interior OL the game plan should never prioritize running the ball and never into the teeth of their D. Steelers weakness is their secondary as shown in the 4th quarter where we had multiple chances to win the game. Those WR injuries really messed up with a normally creative and pass happy Andy. I really think we should have gone max protect and took a few intermediate and deep shots to have their LBs back off at the very start. Later in the game maybe the LBs were playing a softer coverage and every play it looked like our WRs would score.

carcosa 10-17-2017 10:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13157826)

Sheeeet. I didn't even think of that. Would have been good to try on 3rd down, too. Instead of making Kareem run into a wall for a yard.

ToxSocks 10-17-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

They've been moving away from it little by little each week it seems. I think a big part of it is that teams are adjusting. That triple option shovel pass is incredibly dangerous if the defense guesses right.

A few weeks ago a team, maybe it was the Chargers, were really keying in on it well.

ToxSocks 10-17-2017 11:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 13157874)
I noticed that too...at least against the Steelers. I'm not sure if was due to losing Conely/Wilson or game planning for both the Raiders/Pittsburgh. I would think KC would prioritize beating the Raiders as they are divisional.

3 games in 11 days is a ruff roll and sudden injuries complicated it...this was the Chiefs toughest stretch.

KC definitely didn't use much misdirection on Sunday...curious if it was intentional.

I've noticed that they've been going to that deceptive stuff less and less by the week. I have no stats to back up that claim, but i started noticing after the Philly game that they weren't really going into that well much anymore. At least not like in weeks 1 and 2.

Red Dawg 10-17-2017 11:53 AM

Smith needs the running game badly. He is not a player that can carry a team each week without it.

fan4ever 10-17-2017 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13157824)

I remember a couple of years back when we knocked the crap out of New England on a Monday night game...all sorts of innovative play calling...was excited to think this was the new normal...and then nothing even close for the rest of the season.

Last year in the playoff game, on one of the first, if not the first, drives against Steelers...lots of different stuff...scored a touchdown. That was it for the game...vanilla offense after that.

I don't get what goes through his head.

kccrow 10-17-2017 12:13 PM

I'm not giving the "3 starters down" pass. Fulton has more career starts than Morse. Witzmann has more career starts than Ehinger and has proven to be a good run blocker thusfar. Yeah, Erving is a giant bag-o-dicks, but whatever. This team failed to execute on so many levels it was pathetic. Andy was as much to blame. When a team is crashing down on the run on 1st down as hard as Pittsburgh was, you gotta do some play action there. Andy/Nagy failed to run basic passing concepts against a zone defense as well. It was a giant shit show from the get-go. Team was shit.

Chiefnj2 10-17-2017 12:26 PM

Quote:

My guess is that it had to do (partially) with backup WR's not being able to execute all the presnap motion, etc. Let them worry about the routes without any illegal formation, movement, etc.

patteeu 10-17-2017 12:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13157827)
I'll grant you the other two, but Ehinger is a mid-round rookie with four career starts. Until he comes back, I view him as a larger Brad Cottam.

Ooooh, I loved Brad Cottam. We've had some decent players from Tennessee over the years.

I was at that crazy game with my daughter when he broke his neck.

If he ever makes it back, we're going to have a great one two punch with Kelce and Cottam!

JakeF 10-17-2017 12:57 PM

We should be worrying more about our running defense. :(

carcosa 10-17-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fan4ever (Post 13158046)
I remember a couple of years back when we knocked the crap out of New England on a Monday night game...all sorts of innovative play calling...was excited to think this was the new normal...and then nothing even close for the rest of the season.

Last year in the playoff game, on one of the first, if not the first, drives against Steelers...lots of different stuff...scored a touchdown. That was it for the game...vanilla offense after that.

I don't get what goes through his head.

This is exactly what I was thinking of. It's like he's scared they'll figure it out and he stops doing it way before they ever actually do.

carcosa 10-17-2017 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 13158060)
My guess is that it had to do (partially) with backup WR's not being able to execute all the presnap motion, etc. Let them worry about the routes without any illegal formation, movement, etc.

That's at least a reason. Hopefully Robinson will get up to speed and become a useful part of the offense (getting wide open 20+ yards downfield gives us nothing)

Hammock Parties 10-17-2017 02:42 PM

We're soft.

We've always been soft on offense under Andy Reid. The defense had some toughness before Poe's back gave way, Jaye Howard went away, DJ started breaking down and Berry broke himself again.

Soft.

Hit this team in the mouth and they fold. Denver knew that and Pittsburgh knows it.

Rausch 10-17-2017 02:52 PM

It's one bad game.

We only play 3 winning teams the rest of the year...

HemiEd 10-17-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13157854)
It was an OL full of backups on Sunday. Last year we could run on them. Ware had over 4 YPC and a TD in the playoff game.

But Andy only gave Ware the rock 8 times because Andy is a pass first moron when we need him to run the damn ball.

ROFL One ugly loss and now he is a moran.

To be quite honest, when Andy didn't go for the FG I wondered just how bad he wanted to keep the "only undefeated team" pressure going.

I am not saying he threw the game, but I think he is a little more concerned about the division and ultimate goal, winning a SB.

Just a guess, but I bet there has been a new attitude in practice this week.

Rain Man 10-17-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 13158082)
Ooooh, I loved Brad Cottam. We've had some decent players from Tennessee over the years.

I was at that crazy game with my daughter when he broke his neck.

If he ever makes it back, we're going to have a great one two punch with Kelce and Cottam!

It's nice to have memories of good times with your daughter. Other than Brad Cottam, it sounds like everyone had a great time.

JakeF 10-17-2017 03:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13158315)
It's one bad game.

We only play 3 winning teams the rest of the year...

If you are only worried about our regular season record then your point is valid. If you want to take the next step and start being a legitimate threat to make a super bowl then we need to play better.

T-post Tom 10-17-2017 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gold_and_red (Post 13157905)
With a patchwork interior OL the game plan should never prioritize running the ball and never into the teeth of their D. Steelers weakness is their secondary as shown in the 4th quarter where we had multiple chances to win the game. Those WR injuries really messed up with a normally creative and pass happy Andy. I really think we should have gone max protect and took a few intermediate and deep shots to have their LBs back off at the very start. Later in the game maybe the LBs were playing a softer coverage and every play it looked like our WRs would score.

Chiefs got bullied.

stevieray 10-17-2017 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 13158412)
If you are only worried about our regular season record then your point is valid. If you want to take the next step and start being a legitimate threat to make a super bowl then we need to play better.

...because 6-0 means SB, but 5-1 doesn't?

Cmon, now.

BlackOp 10-17-2017 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 13158513)
...because 6-0 means SB, but 5-1 doesn't?

Cmon, now.

Steelers play the Patriots this year...so one of the teams competing for HFA is going to lose to the other.

Sunday sucked as it was a four game lead on Pittsburgh reduced to one...considering H2H tie breakers.

tredadda 10-17-2017 04:59 PM

Quote:

“Because Reid”?

Chiefshrink 10-17-2017 05:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 13157821)
Morse, LDT, and Ehinger?

Nah, because 2 of the 3 you mentioned here played last year and got their asses handed to them as well by the Steelers.

Here is the answer:

Sack up and match/overpower the opponents physicality. We got thrown around like rag dolls in the trenches on both sides of the ball, PERIOD !!:#

MahiMike 10-17-2017 05:52 PM

This is what happens when you don't throw downfield.

jaa1025 10-17-2017 06:25 PM

3 starting oline out, and LT was banged up. I hope we play that sorry ass team in the playoffs.

Chiefshrink 10-17-2017 06:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaa1025 (Post 13158680)
3 starting oline out, and LT was banged up. I hope we play that sorry ass team in the playoffs.

I don't IF we are still going to be intimidated.:rolleyes:

Bob Dole 10-17-2017 06:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 13158623)

This is what happens when there is no motion

Chiefshrink 10-17-2017 06:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 13158623)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bob Dole (Post 13158715)
This is what happens when there is no motion

How the Steelers went from worst to best 2ndary in one year is beyond me and yeah they acquired Joe Hayden but IMHO is a bit overrated. So I guess Reid/crew bought the Steeler DB hype.:rolleyes:

I would have challenged them big time. PROVE this DB hype !!

RINGLEADER 10-17-2017 07:03 PM

Backup interior linemen.

Andy getting away from the run (Hunt had a worse line after 9 carries the previous week).

A lack of offensive creativity in general.

Not necessarily in that order.

RINGLEADER 10-17-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefshrink (Post 13158730)
How the Steelers went from worst to best 2ndary in one year is beyond me and yeah they acquired Joe Hayden but IMHO is a bit overrated. So I guess Reid/crew bought the Steeler DB hype.:rolleyes:

I would have challenged them big time. PROVE this DB hype !!

Seems to me when Alex isn't 100% sure the receiver is open he doesn't throw it some games.

cooper barrett 10-17-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13158385)
It's nice to have memories of good times with your daughter. Other than Brad Cottam, it sounds like everyone had a great time.

Sometimes you make me laugh... <iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/i4qECNoUIdM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rausch 10-17-2017 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 13158412)

If you're worried about the playoffs I'd prefer a close home loss to motivate us.

I'd prefer them to think they have this in the bag...

TEX 10-17-2017 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaa1025 (Post 13158680)

That was a huge part of the problem KC had running the ball. Id prefer not to play Pitt in the playoffs. Pitt is physical. KC is soft. We cant stop the run. Gotta fo that to beat the Steelers.

Cornstock 10-17-2017 09:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13157822)

On the flip side of this, that kind of motion can get fast linebackers more out of position than slow ones, and they have a further distance to recover.

I saw a breakdown early in the week where Shazier had made that mistake several times this season and ran himself out of the play.

When guys like Shazier are on, like Sunday, they are deadly. But if you just show them a wrinkle they are their own worst enemy.