ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Resume Template (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=287246)

SuperChief 10-06-2014 06:16 PM

Resume Template

Anyone have a good resume they wouldn't mind sharing? Know of a good place to download a template? I've asked about some cover letter advice here in the past and got some excellent advice, so I figured I could get just as good info about resumes. Current one is a bit dated, stylistically.

KC native 10-06-2014 06:29 PM

Step 1: Buy a box of crayons
Step 2: Draw pictures of your daily activities
Step 3: ?????????
Step 4: Profit

J Diddy 10-06-2014 06:30 PM

Create your own. Employers like creativity.

stonedstooge 10-06-2014 06:31 PM

What's a resume?

Chief Pote 10-06-2014 06:35 PM

I clicked on your thread and link for a resume builder was located on the screen. Thank Austin Chief.

BigRedChief 10-06-2014 06:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 10989659)
Anyone have a good resume they wouldn't mind sharing? Know of a good place to download a template? I've asked about some cover letter advice here in the past and got some excellent advice, so I figured I could get just as good info about resumes. Current one is a bit dated, stylistically.

What field?

SuperChief 10-06-2014 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10989716)
What field?

That's a good question. Ideally I'm looking for something in higher ed, so I don't necessarily need any frills; however, I wouldn't mind a little bit of creativity.

SuperChief 10-06-2014 09:03 PM

bump

Dave Lane 10-06-2014 09:06 PM

You don't need a template, make it simple block format no more than 1 page. I've read 10,000 resumes ones that go on and on hit the trash can.

cdcox 10-06-2014 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by SuperChief (Post 10989740)
That's a good question. Ideally I'm looking for something in higher ed, so I don't necessarily need any frills; however, I wouldn't mind a little bit of creativity.

Faculty position or administration? What level position?

Mr. Flopnuts 10-06-2014 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10990156)
You don't need a template, make it simple block format no more than 1 page. I've read 10,000 resumes ones that go on and on hit the trash can.

This. Short, sweet, concise, and to the point. Sell yourself. Quickly.

cdcox 10-06-2014 09:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mr. Flopnuts (Post 10990339)
This. Short, sweet, concise, and to the point. Sell yourself. Quickly.

Not the model for faculty positions in higher ed. My CV is more than 20 pages long and I've seen much longer.

Chief_For_Life58 10-06-2014 10:05 PM

Put your name address and contact info at the top center. Then do most recent work experience first. Then education. Then a hand drawn dick picture

teedubya 10-06-2014 10:07 PM

You need a quality LinkedIn profile to get the best gigs.

cosmo20002 10-06-2014 10:10 PM

I saw some article about Tom Brady posting on Facebook or something the resume he prepared at the end of college because he wasn't entirely sure he'd be drafted.

Things worked out pretty well for him, so you could try copying his.

cdcox 10-06-2014 10:18 PM

I noticed from your earlier posts that you are a fresh grad. A one-pager is your ticket since your experience is probably limited at this point.

There are a lot of people at my university who came in at entry level administrative positions and moved up to very high levels.

Discuss Thrower 10-06-2014 10:54 PM

I've had a bit better experience making a resume formatted as such:

Objective: (Bullshit about how my experience fits the job)

Education: (My degree, with leadership roles in activities in smaller font)

Experience: (What I've done in bullets, job explanation in smaller font)

Proficiencies (Microsfot Word, Time managemnet, nonsense that fits the nuts and bolts of the job applied for)

References: Available upon request

BigRedChief 10-06-2014 11:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dave Lane (Post 10990156)

Depends on your field. Mine is 4 pages long now. Most of my peers are that long too.

BigRedChief 10-06-2014 11:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10990604)

Don't put that on a resume anymore. It's a given. No need to state the obvious.

Discuss Thrower 10-06-2014 11:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 10990665)
Don't put that on a resume anymore. It's a given. No need to state the obvious.

Got a sit-down interview with it on my resume versus the dozens of rejections I got without it.

KC native 10-07-2014 07:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Discuss Thrower (Post 10990604)
I've had a bit better experience making a resume formatted as such:

Objective: (Bullshit about how my experience fits the job)

Education: (My degree, with leadership roles in activities in smaller font)

Experience: (What I've done in bullets, job explanation in smaller font)

Proficiencies (Microsfot Word, Time managemnet, nonsense that fits the nuts and bolts of the job applied for)

Also, according to LinkedIn, objective statements are also not preferred for resumes currently.

Grim 10-07-2014 08:00 AM

I've been reworking my resume, too.
My current one is one page. I passed it on to a buddy who was canned so he could use it as a template.
He modeled his after mine and was told by HR people and recruiters that received it that his resume needed to be longer and more detailed. It's harder than hell to squeeze 16 years of experience on to one page (at least in my field).
Never had an 'Objective' statement on mine.
I'm redoing mine so that the resume holds all of the details I think the employer is looking for. I don't care how many pages it ends up being but I don't anticipate it going over two pages.

Simply Red 10-07-2014 08:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Grim (Post 10990927)
I've been reworking my resume, too.
My current one is one page. I passed it on to a buddy who was canned so he could use it as a template.
He modeled his after mine and was told by HR people and recruiters that received it that his resume needed to be longer and more detailed. It's harder than hell to squeeze 16 years of experience on to one page (at least in my field).
Never had an 'Objective' statement on mine.
I'm redoing mine so that the resume holds all of the details I think the employer is looking for. I don't care how many pages it ends up being but I don't anticipate it going over two pages.

two pages is fine still.

Bearcat 03-05-2024 03:45 PM

Pro tip: If you have AI write your resume or you're just copying and pasting from a job description.... FFS, at least take out phrases like "included but not limited to" and (FFS) "basic understanding of one or more of these technologies is preferred". :facepalm:

BryanBusby 03-05-2024 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17429078)
Pro tip: If you have AI write your resume or you're just copying and pasting from a job description.... FFS, at least take out phrases like "included but not limited to" and (FFS) "basic understanding of one or more of these technologies is preferred". :facepalm:

They did you a solid.

displacedinMN 03-05-2024 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17429078)

true.

one of the things from my last (and prob future) job search is

Column A Column B

list something they want in an employee List how you have done that

It is better than a list. It shows how YOU can help THEM and how qualified YOU are.

Ming the Merciless 03-05-2024 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 10991005)
two pages is fine still.

youre fine still

Holladay 03-05-2024 05:03 PM

Bizarre from left field bump from a post 10 yrs, 6 mos and 29 days ago:)

I helped my son a few back with his resume. Thus, the thread has merit...

Bearcat 03-05-2024 05:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Holladay (Post 17429173)
Bizarre from left field bump from a post 10 yrs, 6 mos and 29 days ago:)

I helped my son a few back with his resume. Thus, the thread has merit...

I considered one from 2009.

Rain Man 03-05-2024 05:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17429181)
I considered one from 2009.

Did you invite them to an interview?

"Hey, we finished reviewing your resume. Are you still looking for a job?"

Mosbonian 03-06-2024 06:34 AM

Just dropping this in here...

As a long time Manager who has seen more resumes in my work life than I care to admit.....

Way too many times the resumes received don't really match the true skills of the candidate.....both positively and negatively.

displacedinMN 03-06-2024 06:37 AM

The biggest sham now is employers (hr) that run everything through a computer. If you do not add key words in your answers/resume, the will not look at you to be interviewed.

Make sure you add words in your resume and skills that they want and need for a job.

Get on linkedin too.

Bearcat 03-06-2024 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 17429524)
The biggest sham now is employers (hr) that run everything through a computer. If you do not add key words in your answers/resume, the will not look at you to be interviewed.

Make sure you add words in your resume and skills that they want and need for a job.

Get on linkedin too.

Yeah, I've heard stories where a hiring manager recommends someone with a ton of experience, they apply and then get filtered out... and then it makes you wonder how many more highly qualified candidates get filtered out.

Mosbonian 03-06-2024 07:32 AM

Quote:

Get on linkedin too.

Yeah...I have always hated the JR software programs that do filter out what ends up being qualified candidates. I had an agreement with our HR rep....send me 2 files...one that had the qualified candidates according to your software and one with the non-qualified candidates.

You would be surprised how many times I ended up hiring from the second list and got a great employee.

displacedinMN 03-06-2024 07:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17429537)
Yeah, I've heard stories where a hiring manager recommends someone with a ton of experience, they apply and then get filtered out... and then it makes you wonder how many more highly qualified candidates get filtered out.

Happens all time in education. Many here use a questionnaire that has to be done so that you have the right to apply. If you dont use the "educational bullshit" words, you will not get an interview. The other thing it does is week out less tech savvy people.
I have heard of people adding words in with a small font, and white color, so that they get bumped up and a better chance of getting an interview.

To me, it is the HR person that is just lazy.

Gravedigger 03-06-2024 08:17 AM

Okay, but when do we end template next?

BryanBusby 03-06-2024 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17429537)

It happened to me with jobs I felt I was borderline over qualified for. It was a hard lesson many years ago.

But I understand why it happens. We get over 500 applications in a week for mid-tier jobs. No way our recruiters could even get through half of them in a reasonable amount of time and 95% of them are junk. It's a necessary evil.

BigRedChief 03-06-2024 08:27 AM

Quote:

Get on linkedin too.

I use to have a section titled "Experience with" that listed every piece of software I's ever worked with. Interviewers understood what I was doing and didn't mind. I eventually took it out and worked the software list into the resume.

Linked in is a must. You don't have a good public profile that matches your resume, I'd not interview you.

BigRedChief 03-06-2024 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 17429522)

As a long time Manager who has seen more resumes in my work life than I care to admit.....

Way too many times the resumes received don't really match the true skills of the candidate.....both positively and negatively.

OMG this is so true these days. Even when they are not lying on their resume just adding the usual fluff to a resume. That's okay but in what I do there is a big difference between designed the architecture and just helped implement it.

You need the architect level for this position but you get the guy who just helped implement and you know within 5 minutes that the candidate isn't qualified for the position and everyone has wasted their time... again,

Chief Roundup 03-06-2024 09:22 AM

I know a lot of institutions are now teaching students to use generative AI platforms to create resumes.

Holladay 03-06-2024 09:42 AM

Quote:

ton of experience, they apply and then get filtered out
DEI stuff?

Pablo 03-06-2024 09:49 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 17429593)
I use to have a section titled "Experience with" that listed every piece of software I's ever worked with. Interviewers understood what I was doing and didn't mind. I eventually took it out and worked the software list into the resume.

Linked in is a must. You don't have a good public profile that matches your resume, I'd not interview you.

LinkedIn just feels like Business Facebook anymore. Maybe that’s all it ever was. Can’t wait to “connect” with previous and potential employers!

Mosbonian 03-06-2024 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BryanBusby (Post 17429587)
It happened to me with jobs I felt I was borderline over qualified for. It was a hard lesson many years ago.

But I understand why it happens. We get over 500 applications in a week for mid-tier jobs. No way our recruiters could even get through half of them in a reasonable amount of time and 95% of them are junk. It's a necessary evil.

I agree with the necessary evil part...

It's when they use the software to hide behind doing what they are paid to do....search for the best candidate.

displacedinMN 03-06-2024 11:03 AM

Wait until companies run AI resumes though AI to see if they are written by AI.

Rain Man 03-06-2024 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mosbonian (Post 17429522)

That's why we started testing candidates. We do a basic resume screening (by a person, not a computer or AI), and then those candidates are invited to come in for the test. The test weeds out the non-qualified folks quickly.

I still remember one job candidate many years ago who had a fantastic resume for a quantitative analyst position. I was stoked about the guy because on paper he checked every one of our boxes easily - lots of analysis experience, expertise in software, similar types of studies completed, etc. Then he came in, lasted about halfway through the test, and walked out saying that he didn't think he was a good fit for the job. I looked at his test afterwards and the guy couldn't do basic math. I have no idea whose resume he used, because it couldn't have been his.

Mosbonian 03-06-2024 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 17430233)
That's why we started testing candidates. We do a basic resume screening (by a person, not a computer or AI), and then those candidates are invited to come in for the test. The test weeds out the non-qualified folks quickly.

I still remember one job candidate many years ago who had a fantastic resume for a quantitative analyst position. I was stoked about the guy because on paper he checked every one of our boxes easily - lots of analysis experience, expertise in software, similar types of studies completed, etc. Then he came in, lasted about halfway through the test, and walked out saying that he didn't think he was a good fit for the job. I looked at his test afterwards and the guy couldn't do basic math. I have no idea whose resume he used, because it couldn't have been his.

One of the key capabilities for my team is knowing how to use Excel beyond the basics. You'd be surprised the number of people who consider themselves Intermediate in skills just by doing the very basics (pivots and V-lookups). So we have skills tests....and that separates the have from the have-nots.