ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Tell me about your first name. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315405)

Rain Man 05-17-2018 11:50 AM

Tell me about your first name.

When you introduce yourself to someone, what do you want them to call you? Is it the name that's on your birth certificate? A nickname? A shortened version or your formal name? Do you just make up different names on the spur of the moment, leading to a web of deceit where you can never see more than one acquaintance at a time?

Poll coming as soon as I can properly introduce it.

HemiEd 05-17-2018 12:03 PM

Haha, mine is a shortened version of Eddie that is on my bc.

AssEaterChief 05-17-2018 12:12 PM

I have two birth certificates and three first names technically..

I use the name on the birth certificate that doesn't make me sound like a Portuguese immigrant... (Emanuel Louis)

KCrockaholic 05-17-2018 12:19 PM

Shortened common name. Named after my uncle who died before I was born.

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-17-2018 12:20 PM

I don't have a bith certificate / Barak Hussein Obama

AMDChief 05-17-2018 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 13559707)
I don't have a bith certificate / Barak Hussein Obama

https://www.thedailyliberator.com/wp...thunder_-1.jpg

Graystoke 05-17-2018 12:28 PM

Everybody calls me by my last name.
I descended from Robin Hood and Little John.

Hydrae 05-17-2018 12:35 PM

I have the same first name as Rainman. Always kind of hated that there is no real option for shortening it (NO, that is not acceptable!). For this reason I wished for a long time to have been given the name James. So many options (not as many as William or Richard though)!

Spott 05-17-2018 12:46 PM

I’ve always ended up with nicknames. Spott was what my friends called me growing up in KC. Everyone at work calls me Chucky because of my resemblance to John Gruden.

Grim 05-17-2018 12:48 PM

Share the same first name as my father. I was given a nickname when I was young and it stuck.

tooge 05-17-2018 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 13559715)

Little Hood?

Jewish Rabbi 05-17-2018 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae (Post 13559724)
I have the same first name as Rainman. Always kind of hated that there is no real option for shortening it (NO, that is not acceptable!). For this reason I wished for a long time to have been given the name James. So many options (not as many as William or Richard though)!

Dang two people on this site named Rain? What are the chances?

patteeu 05-17-2018 12:58 PM

I was named after Jesus Christ. About 1,963 years after.

patteeu 05-17-2018 12:59 PM

I don't use my first name anymore. I go by my CP handle.

Graystoke 05-17-2018 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 13559736)
Little Hood?

DAMIT!

NO!

stumppy 05-17-2018 01:02 PM

God Damnit ..... ...... ........

I had 5 names growing up, according to my mom.

raybec 4 05-17-2018 01:02 PM

My Dad wanted to name me after his uncle, my mom wanted to name me what's on my bc. So my mom got to name me but everyone calls me what my dad wanted to name me.

tooge 05-17-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 13559749)
DAMIT!

NO!

Nicknamed clit?

Beef Supreme 05-17-2018 01:03 PM

Not on your poll, so picked "fit none of these categories."

Both my sister and I have always been called a nickname from our middle name. ****ing parents need to be flogged for that shit btw. ****ing give your kid a first name you are going to use.

raybec 4 05-17-2018 01:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Graystoke (Post 13559715)

Those two made a kid together?

tooge 05-17-2018 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 13559759)

I always thought they were both dudes. Who knew?

COchief 05-17-2018 01:09 PM

Interesting question. As I have gotten older and meet people in casual situations I pay less attention when they say their name and flat out say "I'll remember virtually everything about you to a t except your name". My view is a name is just something trivial your parents puked up when you were a baby and is extremely subjective depending on what is popular at the time (ie Jenny, David, Thomas, Sarah, and now Kaitlyn, Hailey, Emma) which is assigned from birth with an exaggerated significance attached to it. If I met Kevy here in person with a blank slate, I would love to hear about relevant data extrapolated from a sea of information and all his other various quirks and unique qualities. "Kevin" is the least interesting thing about him in my mind and the last thing I would devote any energy to after the fact. Rainman is a thousand times more accurate as it basically states: severely overclocked upstairs, hilarious, and absolutely quirky and unique.

However, I do love it when an incredibly bright or interesting person was saddled with Tiffany/Tammy/Chad etc, the irony makes it hilarious to me for whatever reason.

Dayze 05-17-2018 01:09 PM

Hello everyone, I am a park ranger and I will be leading you on the tour. All of the park rangers were, at one time, guards, myself included. My name is John Johnson but everyone here calls me "Vicky".

ptlyon 05-17-2018 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 13559753)
God Damnit ..... ...... ........

I had 5 names growing up, according to my mom.

So did I. Well, not that many. Whenever I got in trouble mom would yell my sisters name, then my brothers name then the dogs name (Chief), before she got to mine.

Rain Man 05-17-2018 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hydrae (Post 13559724)

I kind of like have a non-shortenable name myself, but then again I'm the type of guy who would use the formal version of my name anyway. I'd be the guy constantly saying, "My name is not Ted. It's Theodore."

That said, I like it when people cut the last syllable off of my name. It implies fondness and familiarity. I think only one person in my life has ever done it, which tells me a lot about my charm.

LoneWolf 05-17-2018 01:16 PM

My first and middle initials are J. I have always been called J or JJ.

Rain Man 05-17-2018 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 13559768)
Interesting question. As I have gotten older and meet people in casual situations I pay less attention when they say their name and flat out say "I'll remember virtually everything about you to a t except your name". My view is a name is just something trivial your parents puked up when you were a baby and is extremely subjective depending on what is popular at the time (ie Jenny, David, Thomas, Sarah, and now Kaitlyn, Hailey, Emma) which is assigned from birth with an exaggerated significance attached to it. If I met Kevy here in person with a blank slate, I would love to hear about relevant data extrapolated from a sea of information and all his other various quirks and unique qualities. "Kevin" is the least interesting thing about him in my mind and the last thing I would devote any energy to after the fact. Rainman is a thousand times more accurate as it basically states: severely overclocked upstairs, hilarious, and absolutely quirky and unique.

However, I do love it when an incredibly bright or interesting person was saddled with Tiffany/Tammy/Chad etc, the irony makes it hilarious to me for whatever reason.

If you like, you can call me Kev. But nobody ever does.

Like you, I also find incongruous names funny, but pretty much only with children. There'll be some bratty kid running around, and you'll hear the parent say, "Atticus! Stop eating that feces!" or "Victoria! Don't bite Wilhelmina!" Maybe the name will fit when the kid's an adult, but sometimes they really don't match the kid.

stumppy 05-17-2018 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 13559775)
So did I. Well, not that many. Whenever I got in trouble mom would yell my sisters name, then my brothers name then the dogs name (Chief), before she got to mine.

I catch myself doing that now.:D

LoneWolf 05-17-2018 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 13559768)

So when you see someone you've met previously and can't remember their name do you just call them man or lady during conversation?

ptlyon 05-17-2018 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 13559765)
I always thought they were both dudes. Who knew?

Didn't you see how they dressed?

Clyde Frog 05-17-2018 01:20 PM

Parents gave me a pussy French name and I got the shit kicked out of me in elementary school because of it. Started using my middle name in the 5th grade, which is a Native Hawaiian name that ends in a vowel. Now people think I am female. I'd rather people think I am female than I am a frog.

Graystoke 05-17-2018 01:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 13559759)

Fine.

Little John and Robin Hood had a baby and named it Bowman.

Dayze 05-17-2018 01:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde Frog (Post 13559796)
Parents gave me a pussy French name and I got the shit kicked out of me in elementary school because of it. Started using my middle name in the 5th grade, which is a Native Hawaiian name that ends in a vowel. Now people think I am female. I'd rather people think I am female than I am a frog.

:hmmm:
https://i.pinimg.com/originals/08/53...94f799e36e.jpg

Beef Supreme 05-17-2018 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Clyde Frog (Post 13559796)

Every Hawaiian word I have ever seen ends in a vowel. Is there some gender thing about it?

Garcia Bronco 05-17-2018 01:24 PM

Short common name that is NOT on my BC. WTF puts a short common name on BC? If that is the case then it's your name and not a short common name.

Clyde Frog 05-17-2018 01:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dayze (Post 13559802)

Got me ROFL

Clyde Frog 05-17-2018 01:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 13559806)
Every Hawaiian word I have ever seen ends in a vowel. Is there some gender thing about it?

No, names are gender neutral in Hawaiian. There are also no masculine or feminine nouns in Hawaiian like in other languages. People assume because it ends in a vowel that I am female (especially in emails).

Baby Lee 05-17-2018 01:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 13559745)

I always figured your first name was Terra[n]ce.

COchief 05-17-2018 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13559787)
If you like, you can call me Kev. But nobody ever does.

Like you, I also find incongruous names funny, but pretty much only with children.

I actually call any Kevin I like Kevy for some strange reason, cool or you stuck on Kev?

Irony is hilarious to me, plus you can sort of tell when someone was given a name that no longer fits as an adult introduces themselves in somewhat sheepish fashion.

My first love was a Shanna, and immediately I said I can't work with that so called her by her middle name which probably led to my indifference towards names in general. A good litmus test is imagine the name in a sexual situation: "oh Tammy yeah just like that, oh Shanna". Just terrible names in my opinion, generally the longer the name, the more variations (James/John), and syllables the more I like them. Vanessa, Melissa, Elizabeth are great female names in my opinion.

COchief 05-17-2018 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 13559789)
So when you see someone you've met previously and can't remember their name do you just call them man or lady during conversation?

It's mostly in casual situations that lead to one on one conversations. Names are no problem at work because I have emails and org charts for reference so learn them easily. Friends and circles of friends are also easy because they are usually group settings so people will say "Well back in college Tom over here was a wild man". I am a regular at a bar type setting that isn't a bar, so when you interact it is usually one on one where you never say their name nor do you have other people saying it, you also have no emails, texts, or org charts to reference. It is only a casual setting problem for me and I do clearly state I won't remember.

Rainman is a great example, if he sat at the bar next to me and we bullshitted for 20 minutes the last thing in the world that would stand out to me would be "Kevin", but I would be enthralled by his unique taste in women's cars, various quirky traits, and propensity to imprison himself and call it vacation.

To answer your question directly, yes it always starts with "hey" but then quickly delve into questions about their daily life or something I found interesting about them during our previous interactions. I also occasionally mix in some crudeness/absurdity, like if the Rainman scenario happened again and I saw him a week later. "Hey, my favorite seaman is back again" would be a strong opening possibility. Hard to get angry when I tell you at first meeting I devalue names and then remember virtually everything about you and am generally curious to know more. Weird to some but normal to me.

LoneWolf 05-17-2018 02:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 13559876)
It's mostly in casual situations that lead to one on one conversations. Names are no problem at work because I have emails and org charts for reference so learn them easily. Friends and circles of friends are also easy because they are usually group settings so people will say "Well back in college Tom over here was a wild man". I am a regular at a bar type setting that isn't a bar, so when you interact it is usually one on one where you never say their name nor do you have other people saying it, you also have no emails, texts, or org charts to reference. It is only a casual setting problem for me and I do clearly state I won't remember.

Rainman is a great example, if he sat at the bar next to me and we bullshitted for 20 minutes the last thing in the world that would stand out to me would be "Kevin", but I would be enthralled by his unique taste in women's cars, various quirky traits, and propensity to imprison himself and call it vacation.

To answer your question directly, yes it always starts with "hey" but then quickly delve into questions about their daily life or something I found interesting about them during our previous interactions. I also occasionally mix in some crudeness/absurdity, like if the Rainman scenario happened again and I saw him a week later. "Hey, my favorite seaman is back again" would be a strong opening possibility. Hard to get angry when I tell you at first meeting I devalue names and then remember virtually everything about you and am generally curious to know more. Weird to some but normal to me.

Interesting. I always get an uneasy feeling when I see someone I have met before and I can't remember their name. I don't avoid them or anything, but I hope during the conversation that there is never a need to call them by their name.

COchief 05-17-2018 02:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 13559893)
Interesting. I always get an uneasy feeling when I see someone I have met before and I can't remember their name. I don't avoid them or anything, but I hope during the conversation that there is never a need to call them by their name.

Life's too short for that bullshit, plus if you remember things about them that is more important than forcing yourself to memorize some arbitrary title assigned the second they entered the world. Or use nicknames, know what I mean poolboy. :Poke: Totally kidding on that btw

eDave 05-17-2018 02:12 PM

If anyone asks me if I prefer Dave or David, I say David. I never reference myself as Dave. Being called Dave is weird for me for some reason.

I'm terrible with remembering names so I usually tell them that right up front when I meet them.

old_geezer 05-17-2018 02:20 PM

They call me Mr. Geezer. (with apologies to Sidney Poitier)

tooge 05-17-2018 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 13559789)

"Hey there chief!"

The Franchise 05-17-2018 02:42 PM

My name is Daniel. I go by Dan and pretty much my nieces/nephews and my grandparents refer to me as Danny.

ptlyon 05-17-2018 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13559983)
My name is Daniel. I go by Dan and pretty much my nieces/nephews and my grandparents refer to me as Danny.

"Are you a good boy, Danny?"

Perineum Ripper 05-17-2018 02:48 PM

My family calls me Daniel

Everyone I know from the military and all my friends call me Mac, which is a rip-off off my last name.

I go by Mac mostly

patteeu 05-17-2018 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mac459 (Post 13560001)
My family calls me Daniel

Everyone I know from the military and all my friends call me Mac, which is a rip-off off my last name.

I go by Mac mostly

What’s 459?

New World Order 05-17-2018 02:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 13559745)

Me too

LoneWolf 05-17-2018 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by COchief (Post 13559904)
Life's too short for that bullshit, plus if you remember things about them that is more important than forcing yourself to memorize some arbitrary title assigned the second they entered the world. Or use nicknames, know what I mean poolboy. :Poke: Totally kidding on that btw

Poolboy. ROFL

Little update on that. I was walking my dogs last night and the neighbor's wife was out in their front yard pruning their rose bushes and she asked me if I was going to come over and shit in their yard this weekend. I apologized to her for my actions over the last weekend and then told her that of course I wasn't going to shit in their yard, but if she would like some shit in the yard that I could bring my dogs over. She didn't accept my apology or laugh at my joke. Oh well, she'll get over it eventually.

The Franchise 05-17-2018 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 13560013)
Poolboy. ROFL

Little update on that. I was walking my dogs last night and the neighbor's wife was out in their front yard pruning their rose bushes and she asked me if I was going to come over and shit in their yard this weekend. I apologized to her for my actions over the last weekend and then told her that of course I wasn't going to shit in their yard, but if she would like some shit in the yard that I could bring my dogs over. She didn't accept my apology or laugh at my joke. Oh well, she'll get over it eventually.

You should totally shit in her yard now.

patteeu 05-17-2018 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13560018)
You should totally shit in her yard now.

Or at least pull a John Matrix.

TinyEvel 05-17-2018 03:13 PM

First rule of Chiefs Planet: never call anyone by their real name.

Dayze 05-17-2018 03:13 PM

rumor is, Dane's first name is Francis

luv 05-17-2018 03:40 PM

My mom wanted to name me Kristen. She liked the K name wince my older brother's name also started with a K. However, my dad din't like it because people would call my Kris or Krissy or something. He didn't like shortened nicknames. So, I go by the name as printed on my birth certificate. It also has to capital letters. :)

EPodolak 05-17-2018 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 13560013)
Poolboy. ROFL

I happened to read that previous thread, if I hadn't this would be a very curious post indeed.

Rain Man 05-17-2018 04:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by luv (Post 13560081)
My mom wanted to name me Kristen. She liked the K name wince my older brother's name also started with a K. However, my dad din't like it because people would call my Kris or Krissy or something. He didn't like shortened nicknames. So, I go by the name as printed on my birth certificate. It also has to capital letters. :)

Kristen is a great name, but for some reason when I meet a Kristen or a Kirsten I can never remember whether it's one or the other.

MahiMike 05-17-2018 05:01 PM

For some cruel reason my sister and I both go by our middle names. It's been a hassle to this day at work and other places

WhiteWhale 05-17-2018 05:42 PM

My first name. I wish I had gone with my middle name though.

There's something a bit ironic about the fact that my first name exists almost exclusively within the jewish community and my last name is so german it has 9 letters and one syllable.

Kman34 05-17-2018 05:59 PM

I have a unusual first name... it was a source of dread and embarrassment in grade school because it was similar to a local restaurants name I was made fun of till High School.. Then girls discovered they liked the “unusualness” of it and I took full advantage of that :D
Now it gets miss pronounced or mistaken for another name... I have only met one other person with my first name and unfortunately he has passed away...
There are times I wish I was named Tom or Bob or something simple...

Passepartout 05-17-2018 06:02 PM

I go by my first name Shelby! As it is the name of the late Chad Everett's wife. Who also passed away. Born in Vietnam and adopted. Plus my middle name is Thuy Linh a Vietnamese name.

digger 05-17-2018 06:17 PM

People are always trying to shorten my name. I hate that...

lewdog 05-17-2018 06:51 PM

I'm. Gay.

Rain Man 05-17-2018 06:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Passepartout (Post 13560250)
I go by my first name Shelby! As it is the name of the late Chad Everett's wife. Who also passed away. Born in Vietnam and adopted. Plus my middle name is Thuy Linh a Vietnamese name.

Did Chad Everett's wife save your mom's life, or was she just a really big fan?

Rain Man 05-17-2018 06:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 13560307)
I'm. Gay.

Have you considered going by your middle name instead?

Fire Me Boy! 05-17-2018 07:33 PM

Kinda depends on who they are. If I expect to have some kind of at least passing relationship of any sort, it’s the common shortened version of my name. If I don’t know them or expect to really get to know them better, it’s my formal name.

In print, it’s always my full first name.

Perineum Ripper 05-17-2018 08:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 13560007)
What’s 459?

It was my number when I was a kid racing dirt bikes, then turned into part of my call sign later in life

Shaid 05-17-2018 08:19 PM

I always introduce myself with my first name. My family and wife, commonly use a couple nicknames I have based on my middle name. I really have no preference.

Rain Man 05-17-2018 08:39 PM

Middle name usage is much less common than I expected. For some reason, I thought that more than 5 percent of people would go by their middle name.

BucEyedPea 05-17-2018 08:45 PM

I go by a nickname.

Indian Chief 05-17-2018 09:36 PM

Who told you about Sparkleberry Manor?

Shag 05-17-2018 09:39 PM

Every time I see this thread, I read it as "tell me about your first time", which would probably be a much more interesting poll...

BucEyedPea 05-17-2018 09:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 13560448)
Every time I see this thread, I read it as "tell me about your first time", which would probably be a much more interesting poll...

Well with a screen name like "Shag" is there any wonder why you'd say that? :hmmm:

Pepe Silvia 05-17-2018 09:41 PM

I was named after Frankie Carbone, the guy who was frozen in Goodfellas.

Deberg_1990 05-17-2018 09:52 PM

I go by my African name

Farah Labdouni

TimBone 05-17-2018 10:28 PM

My birth certificate says Timothy. I introduce myself as Tim. Most of my friends usually end up calling me Timbone.

T-post Tom 05-18-2018 12:45 AM

I was named after my father, a Vietnamese PSC inspector from the Vung Tau Port in Vietnam.

Rain Man 05-18-2018 12:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by T-post Tom (Post 13560520)
I was named after my father, a Vietnamese PSC inspector from the Vung Tau Port in Vietnam.

I predict that your Christmas gift this year will be several packs of cigarettes.

T-post Tom 05-18-2018 01:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13560526)
I predict that your Christmas gift this year will be several packs of cigarettes.

That and a $200 Visa gift card.