ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football NFL likely banning hip-drop tackle (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352803)

oaklandhater 03-20-2024 03:13 PM

NFL likely banning hip-drop tackle

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The NFL competition committee has proposed a new rule that would penalize a player with a 15-yard penalty and grant the opposition an automatic first down for using the hip-drop tackle to bring a runner to the ground.<br><br>This is the definition of a hip-drop tackle:<br>(a) grabs the… <a href="https://t.co/yL7peCR8gS">pic.twitter.com/yL7peCR8gS</a></p>&mdash; Ari Meirov (@MySportsUpdate) <a href="https://twitter.com/MySportsUpdate/status/1770491953999704131?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">March 20, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

YAC gods will go crazy

Womble 03-20-2024 03:15 PM

Let's ban the quarterback throwing the football while we're at it.

Shoes 03-20-2024 03:15 PM

I'm a big offense guy but it is getting pretty ridiculous how careful defensive players have to be in regards to making contact with the ball carrier. All for making the game safer but there is always going to be some risk involved- I look forward to the refs blowing this call in an important situation.

oaklandhater 03-20-2024 03:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shoes (Post 17451593)
I'm a big offense guy but it is getting pretty ridiculous how careful defensive players have to be in regards to making contact with the ball carrier. All for making the game safer but there is always going to be some risk involved- I look forward to the refs blowing this call in an important situation.

Can't tackle high, can't tackle low, can't hit someone legally too hard, can't drive through a Qb to get them to the ground.

Game will be flag football soon.

kysirsoze 03-20-2024 03:19 PM

I expect them to call this wrong constantly. It'll be a "point of emphasis" and so they'll look so hard they will see it when it isn't there. That said, this will benefit us I think because of all of Mahomes play extending movement. Defenders are already doing everything they can to bring him down. Anything that causes them to hesitate should make him even deadlier.

HemiEd 03-20-2024 03:20 PM

The pussification of the NFL continues. Defensive player: Hmmm, let me take a minute and decide how to tackle this guy. Oops, he scored. :cuss:

kysirsoze 03-20-2024 03:21 PM

It is a pretty specific and narrow definition. If they actually keep it to that it might not be all that bad, but I seriously doubt they will. See: roughing the passer.

Pasta Little Brioni 03-20-2024 03:21 PM

Are you ****ing kidding me??

DJ's left nut 03-20-2024 03:21 PM

Yeah - here's a flag that's gonna cause chaos for 2-3 years...

Eventually they'll stop doing it (they didn't start doing it until fairly recently; I think it's essentially the predecessor to that Hawk Tackle shit they used to teach in Seattle). And the league will stop paying much attention to it.

But for a couple years, it's gonna change some outcomes here and there and piss fans off.

Rain Man 03-20-2024 03:22 PM

At some point the defense has to be able to bring a runner to the ground. I'm not interested in watching if we're going to have 84-81 final scores. Well, unless Patrick puts up 84 in an 84-0 win.

KCUnited 03-20-2024 03:22 PM

Glad we got our defensive Super Bowl win out of the way

Pasta Little Brioni 03-20-2024 03:23 PM

"Proposed". Where does it say "likely"?

BWillie 03-20-2024 03:23 PM

Stop making football not football

Womble 03-20-2024 03:24 PM

Yeah let's bring in more bullshit, game changing penalties that teams won't be able to challenge when the refs decide to call them. The NFL loves a phantom penalty.

Megatron96 03-20-2024 03:34 PM

:popcorn:

smithandrew051 03-20-2024 03:46 PM

It should be illegal to make any contact with Patrick Mahomes imo

scho63 03-20-2024 03:46 PM

Opening Day 2027

Chiefs 148 - Ravens 103

chiefzilla1501 03-20-2024 03:51 PM

I know people are generally against this.

But the worst unwatchable football is when great players aren't on the field. Nobody wants to watch a playoff game with skyler Thompson. That is way less watchable than stricter penalties on tackling. We lucked out on mahomes avoiding serious injury last year but our tune would totally change if he didn't come back.

So yeah, in general I'm OK with it considering that unlike a lot of rules about hitting qbs this one seems to injure at an extremely high rate

ToxSocks 03-20-2024 03:54 PM

They need to ban the tackling of Patrick Mahomes, that's what they need to do. ****ing around with all this pissant shit. Get to the real meat and potatoes.

Megatron96 03-20-2024 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17451633)
It should be illegal to make any contact with Patrick Mahomes imo

Well, as it's already illegal to say mean things about a QB in his vicinity, I'm sure that's coming soon enough.

IowaHawkeyeChief 03-20-2024 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 17451637)
I know people are generally against this.

But the worst unwatchable football is when great players aren't on the field. Nobody wants to watch a playoff game with skyler Thompson. That is way less watchable than stricter penalties on tackling. We lucked out on mahomes avoiding serious injury last year but our tune would totally change if he didn't come back.

So yeah, in general I'm OK with it considering that unlike a lot of rules about hitting qbs this one seems to injure at an extremely high rate

Offensive player has a choice to go down when someone is on their back. Defensive player putting all his weight on the runner is appropriate. If you are worried about getting hurt, go the **** down.

DJ's left nut 03-20-2024 04:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni (Post 17451605)

Whenever stuff gets proposed in the name of 'player safety' it tends to get adopted. If the NFLPA wants it, the NFL is unlikely to fight hard against it because they don't want to be on the other side of a lawsuit in the future.

493rd 03-20-2024 04:06 PM

Can’t wait to see the botched interpretations of this next year that cost teams 15yds.

Ming the Merciless 03-20-2024 04:07 PM

it's a tricky one to call correctly.

if they could call it consistently on both teams, ok

but I dont think they can

KCJake 03-20-2024 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Little Brioni (Post 17451605)

It's happening

KCJake 03-20-2024 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17451653)
Whenever stuff gets proposed in the name of 'player safety' it tends to get adopted. If the NFLPA wants it, the NFL is unlikely to fight hard against it because they don't want to be on the other side of a lawsuit in the future.

This.

Buehler445 03-20-2024 04:13 PM

I think this is probably a good thing. Like Zilla said, if we can keep high cap good players on the field its better for the league.

Seems to me that the dirty ass teams do it the most. It's possible I look for it with greater scrutiny with those teams so I may be way off. But it will definitely affect teams.

Looks to me like speed rules again. Might cause some guys to switch to more 2 deep coverages so they don't have to chase anyone down.

Buehler445 03-20-2024 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ming the Merciless (Post 17451655)
it's a tricky one to call correctly.

if they could call it consistently on both teams, ok

but I dont think they can

Yeah, refs will **** it up like everything else they touch.

Pepe Silvia 03-20-2024 04:17 PM

No more throwing or catching the football either.

MagicHef 03-20-2024 04:21 PM

If they keep the definition as narrow as it is in that tweet, it will get called what, maybe 3 times in a season?

DJ's left nut 03-20-2024 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17451668)
Yeah, refs will **** it up like everything else they touch.

Yeah - but this one should be a fairly easy one to 'unteach'.

I think it'll be a fairly short-term headache.

dlphg9 03-20-2024 04:30 PM

Yay more rules that are open to officials interpretation! Love it! Gives them an easy out.

jdubya 03-20-2024 04:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ModSocks (Post 17451642)
They need to ban the tackling of Patrick Mahomes, that's what they need to do. ****ing around with all this pissant shit. Get to the real meat and potatoes.

They already have.................

I kid I kid

Back to topic...the refs are losing the battle already trying to interpret the already too many rules in place. Lets just keep adding subjective rules to the mix, surely the refs will get better

Kman34 03-20-2024 04:32 PM

I’ve always liked Hip Hop.. Players should get to listen to whatever they want..

Rainbarrel 03-20-2024 04:43 PM

They're going to sell advertising on the flags, for closeups

wazu 03-20-2024 04:46 PM

So once again, this happens to us in a playoff game two years ago and nobody cares. Mahomes plays on one leg through three games including the Super Bowl because of it, and nobody feels any need to change NFL rules. Did this happen to a non-Chief or something?

stevieray 03-20-2024 04:50 PM

Trying to tackle, not rope a calf.

Every time I see it employed, I always think the player is going get hurt.

kysirsoze 03-20-2024 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 17451649)
Offensive player has a choice to go down when someone is on their back. Defensive player putting all his weight on the runner is appropriate. If you are worried about getting g hurt, go the **** down.

What you are describing isn't a hip drop tackle or the definition. I'm not saying they'll get it right, but putting your weight on a player from behind is still legal.

irafreak 03-20-2024 04:54 PM

Was the tackle that Sneed attempted to make on the last 49ers touchdown a hip drop tackle? He grabbed him and dropped his weight didn't he? If so, well it didn't work anyway...

chiefzilla1501 03-20-2024 04:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepe Silvia (Post 17451673)
No more throwing or catching the football either.

I never understood this interpretation as if watching replacement players throw and catch is a better alternative. I hate that the interpretation of the rule is gonna probably be botched. But keeping good players on the field is a million times better than them being hurt.

Last year's playoffs watching mahomes vs Allen and lamar and Purdy... That's way more beautiful than not regulating tackling.

Rausch 03-20-2024 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 17451704)
So once again, this happens to us in a playoff game two years ago and nobody cares. Mahomes plays on one leg through three games including the Super Bowl because of it, and nobody feels any need to change NFL rules. Did this happen to a non-Chief or something?

The NFL has been trying to play flag football for years.

MagicHef 03-20-2024 05:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 17451704)

Mark Andrews

KCUnited 03-20-2024 05:12 PM

Still will always seem worth it unless they go the NCAA targeting route and even then it might be

jd1020 03-20-2024 05:12 PM

How many times has Josh Allen been tackled like this?

PHOG 03-20-2024 05:16 PM

Wait, what does Gene Steratore think?

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.TuYGp...6&pid=3.1&rm=2

Pinchshot 03-20-2024 06:11 PM

YES! Almost called us a superbowl.

chiefzilla1501 03-20-2024 06:14 PM

Last year....Ryan Tannehill, Geno Smith, Mark Andrews, Tyreek Hill and Deshaun Watson
Last year... Mahomes and Tony pollard

NFL claims it is 20-25 times more likely to cause injury. A few of these guys have fractured their legs

Easy decision

ThaVirus 03-20-2024 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 17451823)
Last year....Ryan Tannehill, Geno Smith, Mark Andrews, Tyreek Hill and Deshaun Watson
Last year... Mahomes and Tony pollard

NFL claims it is 20-25 times more likely to cause injury. A few of these guys have fractured their legs

Easy decision

Yep, I’m cool with banning it.

Like the horse collar, dudes know when they’re doing it and they know it’s dangerous. Every year, thousands of completely legal tackles are made. The league will still thrive without this method.

jdubya 03-20-2024 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PHOG (Post 17451748)
Wait, what does Gene Steratore think?

https://www.bing.com/th?id=OIP.TuYGp...6&pid=3.1&rm=2

https://cdn.vox-cdn.com/thumbor/FWya...LIT_BETTER.jpg getting his index card now

ROYC75 03-20-2024 07:05 PM

I can see it now, Derek.Henry breaks out and open field , a D B jumps on his back & ride him all the way to the goal line for a TD, just because he can't drop down tackle him.

kysirsoze 03-20-2024 07:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 17451880)
I can see it now, Derek.Henry breaks out and open field , a D B jumps on his back & ride him all the way to the goal line for a TD, just because he can't drop down tackle him.

It doesn't say he can't do that.

scho63 03-20-2024 07:40 PM

I have no idea how a DB weighing 210 brings down a 275 lb TE running full speed.

comochiefsfan 03-20-2024 07:46 PM

I don’t really get the outrage over this.

The defender won’t be allowed to drop his entire body weight on the back of someone’s legs. It’s basically the same motion as a horse collar tackle and no one has any problem with that being illegal.

Defenders can be taught to avoid this pretty easily. You can still tackle from behind, you can still go for the legs, you simply can’t drop your whole body weight on the legs which is obviously a very dangerous movement.

What’s the problem?

kysirsoze 03-20-2024 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comochiefsfan (Post 17451931)

The defender won’t be allowed to drop his entire body weight on the back of someone’s legs. It’s basically the same motion as a horse collar tackle and no one has any problem with that being illegal.

Defenders can be taught to avoid this pretty easily. You can still tackle from behind, you can still go for the legs, you simply can’t drop your whole body weight on the legs which is obviously a very dangerous movement.

What’s the problem?

Yeah it's a good change. I'm just dreading the really bad calls that that will likely occur this next season or two.

jd1020 03-20-2024 08:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comochiefsfan (Post 17451931)

What’s the problem?

Not sure how this relates to a horse collar tackle.

How the **** do you tackle a runner from behind with this rule?

kysirsoze 03-20-2024 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 17451950)

You don't swivel your legs and drop your body on their legs. It's right there in the rule.

SD15 03-20-2024 08:04 PM

Another rule that requires a judgment call. :(

jd1020 03-20-2024 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kysirsoze (Post 17451951)
You don't swivel your legs and drop your body on their legs. It's right there in the rule.

Good. You defined the rule. Not explain how you go about avoiding trapping the runners legs under you while tackling them from behind.

kysirsoze 03-20-2024 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 17451956)
Good. You defined the rule. Not explain how you go about avoiding trapping the runners legs under you while tackling them from behind.

It doesn't say you can't land on the ball carrier's legs. You can't swivel your body and drop your weight on them. Non hip drop tackles from begind happen constantly in every game.

Monticore 03-20-2024 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 17451956)

You tackle the legs

KCUnited 03-20-2024 08:16 PM

Pretty much can’t tackle someone from behind without pushing them forward

If they’re moving forward and you grab them from behind, and weigh less, your only option is to pretty much to drop your weight and their legs are likely to be under you

So the Donny Edwards drag 5+ yards rule

kysirsoze 03-20-2024 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Monticore (Post 17451961)
You tackle the legs

That's one way, yeah. I don't know what games people have been watching. There are a bunch of ways to get a guy to the ground without doing this specific thing.

jd1020 03-20-2024 08:21 PM

If you thought this team was bad at tackling before, can't wait for all the "****ING TACKLE HIM!!!" in the game day threads when their only option becomes swiping at the shoelaces.

comochiefsfan 03-20-2024 08:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 17451950)

Because in both instances, you abruptly stop the ball carriers’ upper body momentum while their legs continue moving, causing a high probability that the legs will get trapped beneath the body when the ball carrier is brought down, leading to a significant risk of lower body injury.

It is important to note with the hip drop rule that this isn’t a ban of grabbing the ball carrier’s legs from behind or even grabbing them high, the defender simply can’t begin by grabbing the ball carrier high and then dropping down onto the legs.

I really don’t think it’ll be as hard to eliminate from the game as it sounds and I don’t think there will be many noticeable changes.

jd1020 03-20-2024 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by comochiefsfan (Post 17451972)
Because in both instances, you abruptly stop the ball carriers’ upper body momentum while their legs continue moving, causing a high probability that the legs will get trapped beneath the body when the ball carrier is brought down, leading to a significant risk of lower body injury.

It is important to note with the hip drop rule that this isn’t a ban of grabbing the ball carrier’s legs from behind, the defender simply can’t begin by grabbing the ball carrier high and then dropping down onto the legs.

I really don’t think it’ll be as hard to eliminate from the game as it sounds and I don’t think there will be many noticeable changes.

The **** are you talking about "grabbing him high"? Do you even see the damn example in the tweet? He's grabbing his ****ing hips.

KCUnited 03-20-2024 08:23 PM

The should’ve just shot him in the leg rule

comochiefsfan 03-20-2024 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jd1020 (Post 17451973)
The **** are you talking about "grabbing him high"? Do you even see the damn example in the tweet? He's grabbing his ****ing hips.

To put it as simply as possible,

The danger of a horse collar tackle and the danger of a hip drop tackle are both the legs being trapped beneath body weight.

In both instances, the ball carrier will fall backwards awkwardly and have their legs trapped beneath them. They are very closely related plays.

kccrow 03-20-2024 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 17451925)
I have no idea how a DB weighing 210 brings down a 275 lb TE running full speed.

Same way they should have been taught in Pee Wees for the past 50 years?

R Clark 03-20-2024 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MagicHef (Post 17451677)
If they keep the definition as narrow as it is in that tweet, it will get called what, maybe 3 times in a season?

Key words

kysirsoze 03-20-2024 08:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17451653)

Was just reading more about this and I'm seeing the the NFLPA doesn't want it. Thinks it's too hard on the defending player. I think the league is gonna go ahead anyway because they don't want to have stars unavailable for the playoffs if they can help it.

CatinKS 03-20-2024 09:00 PM

Now, I'm afraid I'll be watching nothing but "Flag Football" before I die. This generation is getting so Soft.

Arch Stanton 03-20-2024 09:13 PM

Yet another penalty that can be called, or not called, whenever it needs to be called.

Or not called.

chiefzilla1501 03-20-2024 09:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatinKS (Post 17451993)
Now, I'm afraid I'll be watching nothing but "Flag Football" before I die. This generation is getting so Soft.

Yeah, these pussies can't even be a man and play through broken fibulas

Buehler445 03-20-2024 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CatinKS (Post 17451993)

Yeah they may be soft, but they are exponentially bigger, faster, stronger and more explosive than the old generation by a huge margin. If they played like they did in the 70s there would be far more injuries.

The game isn’t the same.

kysirsoze 03-20-2024 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 17452022)
Yeah they may be soft, but they are exponentially bigger, faster, stronger and more explosive than the old generation by a huge margin. If they played like they did in the 70s there would be far more injuries.

The game isn’t the same.

Good Lord, can you imagine if Aaron Donald had the freedom those guys used to have? He'd kill 1 or 2 guys a season.

Ming the Merciless 03-20-2024 10:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 17451880)

you can drop down , you just cant plant your hip into their leg when you fall down...right?

penchief 03-20-2024 10:03 PM

I hear where most of you are coming from but I'm not sure I disagree with it. Seems like some defenders do it with the intent of injuring. I still feel like Arden Key's tackle on Mahomes in the Jacksonville playoff game last year was an example of intent to injure. You could tell by the way he threw his full weight on Pat's legs that it was sneaky dirty. Thank God Mahomes is tough as nails.

Couch-Potato 03-20-2024 10:25 PM

What the ****!?

jdubya 03-20-2024 10:30 PM

Depends on conditions right? Sloppy wet fields vs dry. This is so "Beta".....Good Lord

I love this place but this will get me downvoted quickly.....

Mahomes is the king of running to the sidelines but when defenders pull up to not drill the **** out of him...he sprints for another 3-7 yards up the sideline. On another play if a player touches his helmet......a flag is thrown for hurting his "something" I guess

kysirsoze 03-20-2024 11:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jdubya (Post 17452050)
Depends on conditions right? Sloppy wet fields vs dry. This is so "Beta".....Good Lord

I love this place but this will get me downvoted quickly.....

Mahomes is the king of running to the sidelines but when defenders pull up to not drill the **** out of him...he sprints for another 3-7 yards up the sideline. On another play if a player touches his helmet......a flag is thrown for hurting his "something" I guess

This almost never happens. And the whole pulling up thing is pretty much bullshit, too. All they have to do is push him out of bounds. They would not get flagged. They're just not finishing the play. Or they have a bad angle.

At the end of the day these rules help keep the best players on the field and I'd rather watch the best players play a slightly less brutal form of football than watch a bunch of back ups.