ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Other Games Board Game Fans? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=253019)

Pitt Gorilla 11-27-2011 11:45 PM

Board Game Fans?

A friend of mine has got me into some "geeky" gaming that has become a real hit at my house. We've been playing Ticket to Ride and Forbidden Island as a family, while my buddy and I have been playing Ascension, Resident Evil, and Dominion.

Are there any other cool board/card games out there that I should check out? I mean, I've seen the spiel des jahres lists, but I'd love some first hand thoughts on cool games.

Buck 11-27-2011 11:58 PM

Settlers of Catan

Ming the Merciless 11-28-2011 12:00 AM

munchkin, or almost anything by steve jackson

Pitt Gorilla 11-28-2011 12:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8149695)
Settlers of Catan

Yeah, I've been playing some Catan as well. Really fun game and the expansions are great as well.

Pitt Gorilla 11-28-2011 12:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 8149700)
munchkin, or almost anything by steve jackson

I haven't played munchkin, but I'm really intrigued by Munchkin Quest, which is a board game version of the cards. Have you heard anything about that?

Ming the Merciless 11-28-2011 12:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8149728)
I haven't played munchkin, but I'm really intrigued by Munchkin Quest, which is a board game version of the cards. Have you heard anything about that?

i havent played it, but i used to play a TON of 'warhammer quest' which is bad ass.(easily top 5 board game of all time)......so if it is jackson's take on warhammer quest, (or the other quest-like game i think hero-quest) it probably rocks...

Ive never played a game of his that i didn't enjoy!

Ming the Merciless 11-28-2011 12:18 AM

warhammer quest:

http://boardgamegeek.com/collection/...1634?comment=1

Ming the Merciless 11-28-2011 12:19 AM

if youre at all interested in warhammer quest, i can try and dig up my digital archives and you can print it out, its actually a very cool project...

or you can try and get ahold of a legit copy

Ming the Merciless 11-28-2011 12:22 AM

a game you can pick up pretty cheap now is the 40k card game, going for practically nothing on ebay

Pitt Gorilla 11-28-2011 12:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pawnmower (Post 8149756)
if youre at all interested in warhammer quest, i can try and dig up my digital archives and you can print it out, its actually a very cool project...

or you can try and get ahold of a legit copy

That looks pretty cool.

Huffmeister 11-28-2011 01:35 PM

I've fallen into the trap of buying board games that I really want to try, but end up having no one to play them with. I have a few games at home sitting on a shelf that I've never had a chance to play: Civilization, Puerto Rico, Agricola, Game of Thrones, etc.

Also, Trans America is another train game that I enjoy a bit more than Ticket To Ride.

NewChief 11-28-2011 01:42 PM

The D and D board games are pretty good, such as Castle Ravenloft and Wrath of Ashardalon. In all honesty, Dungeons and Dragons 4th Edition is pretty freaking awesome and "board game"-esque due to the extreme tactical nature that they took with 4e.

Dayze 11-29-2011 03:31 PM

Checkers.

I keed, I keed.
every now and again we like to drink a lot of beer and play Cranium, Balderdash, or this game where you try to get your partner to say a word w/out saying a certain list of words.....the name of the game escapes me at the moment.

ReynardMuldrake 11-29-2011 03:40 PM

Arkham Horror is a lot of fun. It's a change of pace because it's co-op instead of competitive. You work together to stop the elder gods from bringing about the end of the world. http://boardgamegeek.com/boardgame/15987/arkham-horror

They've been mentioned, but Ticket to Ride and Settlers of Catan are both great games as well.

Gonzo 11-29-2011 03:42 PM

http://blog.schoollibrarymedia.com/w...us-dot-com.jpg

Gonzo 11-29-2011 03:42 PM

http://cdn.babble.com/strollerderby/...-cartoons1.jpg

Deberg_1990 11-29-2011 03:44 PM

"Daddy, whats a board game?"

"Nevermind son, just go play the Wii again"

whoman69 11-29-2011 08:16 PM

Axis and Allies
Cosmic Encounters
Liftoff

Pitt Gorilla 12-11-2011 11:16 PM

Just picked up Dominion (my own copy) and Settlers of Catan.

Buck 12-11-2011 11:45 PM

Bananagrams is a fun game. It's like scrabble, except way more fun and action packed.

My friend is buying his girlfriend Settlers of Catan for Christmas so I am pretty excited for our weekly board game night in the near future.

pearlblue 12-12-2011 08:56 AM

My friends and I are into Backgammon, Chinese Checkers, and Game of the Generals.

Ming the Merciless 12-12-2011 03:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8192995)
Just picked up Dominion (my own copy) and

Played some dominion, I liked it...Short and sweet. Kind of a deck building / drafting game. Appeals to the MTG player in me....also thought it was cool how you could change the game a lot by adding or removing available cards from the 10 stacks.

Also looked a little more closely at Munchkin Quest...I think I might have to purchase it...Seems to have a lot of the good things that Warhammer Quest had, without the expense.

Although....you can make your own warhammer quest with a little elbow grease.

Buck 12-17-2011 04:43 PM

My friends and I do game night every wednesday night, I think I may have already mentioned that.

Well my friend is getting his girlfriend Settlers of Catan so we have that to play. The 4 of us also did a secret santa, and I got my friends girlfriend, so I bought her Ticket To Ride: Europe Edition.

I'm not sure if it's a dick move to get someone a gift that I'll be using a lot, but I really think she'll like it. I've never played a Ticket To Ride game, but I've only heard great things.

Anyway, I'm stoked that starting this next week we have both Settlers and Ticket to Ride!

patteeu 12-19-2011 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8211394)
My friends and I do game night every wednesday night, I think I may have already mentioned that.

Well my friend is getting his girlfriend Settlers of Catan so we have that to play. The 4 of us also did a secret santa, and I got my friends girlfriend, so I bought her Ticket To Ride: Europe Edition.

I'm not sure if it's a dick move to get someone a gift that I'll be using a lot, but I really think she'll like it. I've never played a Ticket To Ride game, but I've only heard great things.

Anyway, I'm stoked that starting this next week we have both Settlers and Ticket to Ride!

LMAO I think I need to get your friend's girlfriend a new crock pot because I really like chili!

The weekly game night is a great thing though. :)

Sofa King 12-19-2011 01:54 PM

http://images.funagain.com/cover/huge/19285.jpg

This is an awesome game when you have a bunch of people. (drinking is optional, but recommended, by me)

Shag 12-19-2011 02:25 PM

Some games my friends and I play:

Pandemic
Last Day on Earth
Battlestar Galactica
Formula D
Settlers of Catan

All great games, and makes for a nice variety. I've never heard of Ticket to Ride mentioned here - will have to check that out...

I want to check out the Game of Thrones game, but not sure if it's any good...

The Rick 12-19-2011 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8149695)
Settlers of Catan

Seconded...

Buck 12-19-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8219658)
http://images.funagain.com/cover/huge/19285.jpg

This is an awesome game when you have a bunch of people. (drinking is optional, but recommended, by me)

That game is ****ing gay.

Buck 12-19-2011 03:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8218842)
LMAO I think I need to get your friend's girlfriend a new crock pot because I really like chili!

The weekly game night is a great thing though. :)

I once bought my mom a can opener for Christmas because ours stopped working. Huge mistake.

The Franchise 12-20-2011 10:41 AM

I don't know if this is any good.....but I figured it belonged in the thread.

http://slickdeals.net/permadeal/6576...ers-board-game

AndChiefs 12-20-2011 10:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8222745)

I've played it before. It's fairly interesting and a much faster game than most board games. I'd say a game take around an hour.

Pitt Gorilla 12-20-2011 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 8222745)

That's a great deal. I don't own the regular game, though.

whoman69 12-20-2011 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8219943)

You must be playing it wrong then. Next time invite some girls.

Sofa King 12-20-2011 03:21 PM

Quote:

Well then you and your friends ****ing suck.

Saulbadguy 12-20-2011 03:27 PM

Quote:

It's irritating. You can submit the best answer, and the dumbass judge thinks it would be cute to pick the worst answer.

I just started playing the cards on how I think the judge would answer, not necessarily what I thought.

Of course, if you just play it for fun it's not too bad.

Huffmeister 12-20-2011 03:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Saulbadguy (Post 8223672)
It's irritating. You can submit the best answer, and the dumbass judge thinks it would be cute to pick the worst answer.

I just started playing the cards on how I think the judge would answer, not necessarily what I thought.

Of course, if you just play it for fun it's not too bad.

WTF would you do that?

Frazod 12-20-2011 04:06 PM

Quote:

Agreed. Much like soccer and grapefruit juice, it simply amazes me that anybody could like it.

Buck 12-20-2011 04:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sofa King (Post 8223641)
Well then you and your friends ****ing suck.

Every time we play it either my buddy or I win. Every ****ing time. It's so ****ing boring. Once you know the people you're playing with it's impossible to lose, really.

DaveNull 12-20-2011 04:45 PM

Buck speaks the truth.

Pitt Gorilla 12-23-2011 11:32 PM

Picked up Guillotine for my wife for Christmas and am ordering 7 Wonders and Zooloretto. Anyone played any of these?

Caseyguyrr 12-23-2011 11:57 PM

quelf while drinking is always a good time

RealSNR 12-24-2011 12:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Shag (Post 8219779)
Some games my friends and I play:

Pandemic
Last Day on Earth
Battlestar Galactica
Formula D
Settlers of Catan

All great games, and makes for a nice variety. I've never heard of Ticket to Ride mentioned here - will have to check that out...

I want to check out the Game of Thrones game, but not sure if it's any good...

They make Battlestar Galactica the board game?

Buck 12-24-2011 12:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Caseyguyrr (Post 8231293)
quelf while drinking is always a good time

We have played that and had a pretty good time, but we've never played it while drinking. I think we might this Sunday Night. We're having a special board game night where we can all get blitzed.

I had a pretty cool picture of us playing Quelf on facebook, but I deleted it.

Caseyguyrr 12-24-2011 05:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8231332)
We have played that and had a pretty good time, but we've never played it while drinking. I think we might this Sunday Night. We're having a special board game night where we can all get blitzed.

I had a pretty cool picture of us playing Quelf on facebook, but I deleted it.

nothing beats quelf with booze

jspchief 12-24-2011 06:30 AM

This is something that I didn't know existed.

Buck 01-11-2012 06:15 PM

Tonight is board game night again so I'm back in the board game mood.

Last week we played a game of Catan and Ticket To Ride Europe (which was the first time any of us played and we all loved it).

Any recommendation for good 4 player games that take an hour and a half or less?

Pitt Gorilla 01-11-2012 06:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8286569)
Tonight is board game night again so I'm back in the board game mood.

Last week we played a game of Catan and Ticket To Ride Europe (which was the first time any of us played and we all loved it).

Any recommendation for good 4 player games that take an hour and a half or less?

Dominion & Zooloretto.

Pitt Gorilla 01-23-2012 09:40 PM

Interesting development: Target is carrying board games. They've had Catan and Ticket to Ride for a few months now, but tonight I saw several Fantasy Flight games, including Lord of the Rings, Deadwood, Nexus Ops and a few others. Also, they had several copies of Munchkin.

Awesome.

NewChief 01-23-2012 09:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8322413)
Interesting development: Target is carrying board games. They've had Catan and Ticket to Ride for a few months now, but tonight I saw several Fantasy Flight games, including Lord of the Rings, Deadwood, Nexus Ops and a few others. Also, they had several copies of Munchkin.

Awesome.

The cool thing about computer gaming is that it's really making kids/people interested in other alternative games as well. I see this all the time at the high school, where kids are getting into tabletop RPGs (and alternative board games) as a result of playing MMORPGs and single-player RPGs.

jspchief 01-24-2012 09:15 AM

Never in my life have I encountered people that would play these things. Going all the way back to my youth and D&D.

I'm surprised by the interest shown in this thread.

NewChief 01-24-2012 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 8322932)
Never in my life have I encountered people that would play these things. Going all the way back to my youth and D&D.

I'm surprised by the interest shown in this thread.

Your geek radar is weak, clearly.

jspchief 01-24-2012 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8323185)
Your geek radar is weak, clearly.

I guess so. I suppose I don't gravitate towards those people, even though they are probably who I would relate to best.

NewChief 01-24-2012 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jspchief (Post 8323273)
I guess so. I suppose I don't gravitate towards those people, even though they are probably who I would relate to best.

I've always had an inner geek. High school through college, I basically led a secret life of playing either single-player or online RPGs (MUDs) while simultaneously living a very active social life and being one of the "cool kids" (whatever that means). I was still into comic books, fantasy novels, and geek culture. I used to go sit in the book store and read World of Darkness game books (Vampire: The Masquerade and such), even though I didn't even play the games because I didn't have a gaming social group. The internet was a total blessing, because I was able to geek out online.

Now that I'm old enough to have kids, I don't give a shit. I let my geek flag fly. My current social circle does actually give me shit (in a funny way) for the fact that I'm in a "gaming group" these days and play DnD every other week. Of course, I've also had two guys from my normal social circle who now have joined the gaming group because they used to play DnD in junior high and wanted to play again.

Of course, in a world where kids are raised gaming on computers, Star Wars, Lord of the Rings, and other hallmarks of "geek culture," it's become downright mainstream.

Pitt Gorilla 01-24-2012 01:29 PM

Eh, it's not just "geeks" that game anymore. Or, perhaps it is and the term "geek" has really lost a lot of its meaning. Most of the kids that I see buying the Magic cards are athletic college kids that could just as well be playing basketball. The gaming culture is expanding, which is great IMO.

I really didn't get into gaming at all until the last year or so.

Huffmeister 01-24-2012 04:05 PM

For anyone interested in board games, BoardGameGeek.com is pretty much the definitive site for all things related to board games. They've got forums for each game, galleries, alternate rules, reviews, etc, etc. It's a really great site.

unlurking 01-24-2012 04:34 PM

Still miss this game from my younger days. The tower broke the second week and we couldn't get a replacement. :(

http://www.wired.com/images/slidesho...dark_tower.jpg

SLAG 01-25-2012 12:00 AM

fluxx, scrutineyes, and, blockus

talastan 01-25-2012 08:31 PM

Settlers of Catan and it's variants, Heroquest (for you old schoolers), and Munchkin are all my personal favs right now. Speaking of which I'm thinking I need to go play some Catan with my friends this week!!!

Pitt Gorilla 01-30-2012 11:27 PM

As you iOS folks probably already know, Ascension on the iPad is incredible. The ROTF expansion is great as well. Here's the BIG news. Today, Dominion was released on the iPad. It's not an "official" version, but all of the artwork and gameplay are there. And....
It's FREE.

You literally have no choice but to download this game.

Edit: Here is a short review.

http://appadvice.com/appnn/2012/01/d...y-comes-to-ios

AustinChief 01-31-2012 12:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by talastan (Post 8327252)
Settlers of Catan and it's variants, Heroquest (for you old schoolers), and Munchkin are all my personal favs right now. Speaking of which I'm thinking I need to go play some Catan with my friends this week!!!

You can get Catan on Android for like $4. It is ok on a phone but fantastic on a tablet. There is no online multiplayer yet but should be sometime in 2012.

AustinChief 01-31-2012 12:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 8324038)
Still miss this game from my younger days. The tower broke the second week and we couldn't get a replacement. :(

http://www.wired.com/images/slidesho...dark_tower.jpg

http://www.hotflashgames.com/index.p...e.php&gameid=3

Would be bad ass if they made a multiplayer version for your phone or tablet!

They do have an app that emulates Just the Tower if you can find the board or print one out!

https://market.android.com/details?i...mow.droidtower

Buck 02-06-2012 05:26 PM

I'd like to know a fun 2 player game that I can play with my brother. He likes stuff like D&D, so he's a nerd too. He doesn't really play board games though.

NewChief 02-06-2012 06:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8354093)
I'd like to know a fun 2 player game that I can play with my brother. He likes stuff like D&D, so he's a nerd too. He doesn't really play board games though.

Try Castle Ravenloft. Can play 2 player coop. Lots and lots of different scenarios. Very similar in feel to traditional D&D without character drvelopment and progression.

Saulbadguy 02-06-2012 06:33 PM

I play Magic: The Gathering sometimes.

NewChief 02-06-2012 09:27 PM

I should add that if you don't like the Ravenloft flavor (and I don't particularly), there is also Wrath of Ashardlon and a Drizzt game with similar mechanics. I also think you can use them as expansions on each other.

Pitt Gorilla 05-06-2012 11:09 PM

7 Wonders is awesome. I can't get enough of this game. It's not very good for 2 people, but it's perfect for 3 and very solid for 4-7 players. GET THIS GAME.

Buck 05-06-2012 11:11 PM

I just bought Race For The Galaxy.

Pitt Gorilla 05-06-2012 11:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buck (Post 8598748)
I just bought Race For The Galaxy.

I think you'll like it.

Buck 05-06-2012 11:27 PM

Yeah I've been looking for a good 2 player game. I used the current Amazon Local Deal to get $25 for $12 on yoyo.com

They sell a bunch of board games if you're interested.

patteeu 05-07-2012 10:06 AM

Will Wheaton, the guy who played Wesley Crusher on Star Trek: TNG, has a new web series about board gaming called Table Top. In the show, he has guests over to play a game of the week and as they play and joke around a little bit, the rules and gameplay are explained.

http://movies.popcrunch.com/wp-conte...ey-crusher.jpg

http://nibletz.com/wp-content/upload...-timthumb.jpeg

There are only three episodes so far. In the first, they played a game called Small World and in the second they played Settlers of Catan. I haven't watched the third episode yet, but I understand that it involves 3 mini-games.

I've played Small World and I think that those of you who enjoy games like Settlers of Catan would like it.

http://cdn0.daysofwonder.com/smallwo...e_picture1.jpg

It's 2-5 players. You use a different map depending on the number of players so even though I've only played with 3, I think it would work pretty well for 2 players (and I'm sure it would work well for 4 or 5).

Pitt Gorilla 05-07-2012 10:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8599163)
Will Wheaton, the guy who played Wesley Crusher on Star Trek: TNG, has a new web series about board gaming called Table Top. In the show, he has guests over to play a game of the week and as they play and joke around a little bit, the rules and gameplay are explained.

There are only three episodes so far. In the first, they played a game called Small World and in the second they played Settlers of Catan. I haven't watched the third episode yet, but I understand that it involves 3 mini-games.

I've played Small World and I think that those of you who enjoy games like Settlers of Catan would like it.

It's 2-5 players. You use a different map depending on the number of players so even though I've only played with 3, I think it would work pretty well for 2 players (and I'm sure it would work well for 4 or 5).

This is where I pretend that I haven't seen the first two episodes. I mean, I'm surely not THAT geeky. :eek:

NewChief 05-07-2012 10:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8599163)

Wil Wheaton is such a geek hero. If you like his board game stuff, the old Pax Celebrity DnD games are also pretty awesome:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uqXqK3ZlqWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

patteeu 05-07-2012 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NewChief (Post 8599213)
Wil Wheaton is such a geek hero. If you like his board game stuff, the old Pax Celebrity DnD games are also pretty awesome:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/uqXqK3ZlqWI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

LOL, pretty cool. I've never seen that. You are definitely a super geek!

Aries Walker 05-07-2012 10:48 AM

Dominion is good. Settlers of Catan is really good. Axis and Allies is fantastic.

There's also a game called Cards Against Humanity, (and its expansion), which is described as "Apples for Apples for horrible people," and they mean it. To give you an idea, at one point the card read "Who ate all the cookies in the cookie jar?" to which the winning response was "African children."

patteeu 05-07-2012 10:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Aries Walker (Post 8599267)
Dominion is good.

Anyone who has an iphone or an ipad (and probably android too) can get the Dominion app for free. It plays just like the real game. You can play with other human players or play solo against one, two, or three computer players.

Pitt Gorilla 05-07-2012 03:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 8599281)
Anyone who has an iphone or an ipad (and probably android too) can get the Dominion app for free. It plays just like the real game. You can play with other human players or play solo against one, two, or three computer players.

I noted that earlier in the thread. It's not licensed by the Dominion people, but they are allowing it until they release the official version.

Buck 05-13-2012 12:18 PM

We just bought Star Trek TNG Deck Building Game last night.

I'm not huge into Star Trek, but my playing partner is, and he loves the theme. The game itself is very fun. I can't wait to play more. I'm actually going over to his house to play now.

Pitt Gorilla 07-29-2012 04:29 PM

Target currently has Zooloretto on clearance. BUY THIS GAME. If you have kids, they will love it.

In other news, I've been playing Formula D and it's a blast. Great racing sim (for a board game).

Shag 07-29-2012 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pitt Gorilla (Post 8776393)
Target currently has Zooloretto on clearance. BUY THIS GAME. If you have kids, they will love it.

In other news, I've been playing Formula D and it's a blast. Great racing sim (for a board game).

Agreed on Formula D - fun game...

Pitt Gorilla 07-29-2012 08:10 PM

Knizia's Black Sheep is also on clearance at Target. FYI