ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Saccopoo Memorial Draft Forum (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=29)
-   -   Free Agents (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352442)

Couch-Potato 02-21-2024 02:00 PM

Free Agents

Ok, ok, I know this is the draft section but I prefer to think of this as the Chief's offseason plans forum. ESPN posted their best fit destinations for the top 75 Free Agents and I thought it would make for interesting conversation here.

ESPN's suggested "best fits" for the Chiefs in Free Agency:

1. Chris Jones, DT
Best team fit: Kansas City Chiefs

A staple of the Chiefs' defensive front, I could see Jones returning to Kansas City on a multiyear deal despite Kansas City's tight cap space. Jones is a game-wrecking talent, with the pass rush versatility to rush inside or outside in defensive coordinator Steve Spagnuolo's system. He had 10.5 sacks this season and made an impact in critical moments in the Super Bowl.

11. L'Jarius Sneed, CB
Best team fit: Philadelphia Eagles (Not Chiefs, but relative)

With his scheme-versatile coverage skills, Sneed will generate a ton of interest on the free agent market. Look for Atlanta and Las Vegas to make a play here, too. But I have Sneed landing in Philadelphia to upgrade the position opposite Darius Slay, with Vic Fangio now calling the defense for the Birds. Philly allowed 16 passing touchdowns in the second half of last season, tied for the fourth most in the NFL. The Eagles have to clean up the secondary, and Sneed can make an impact. He has at least two interceptions in each of his four career seasons with the Chiefs.

20. Tyron Smith, OT

The availability concerns for Smith are real; he has missed 33 games over the past four seasons with the Cowboys. But when healthy, Smith is a detailed technician with the physical demeanor to win on the edge. And he would absolutely upgrade the left tackle position for the Chiefs, limiting pass-rushers and keeping the throwing platform clean for quarterback Patrick Mahomes.

49. Austin Ekeler, RB

With Clyde Edwards-Helaire and Jerick McKinnon heading to free agency, the Chiefs could sign Ekeler on a short-term deal to work in rotation with Isiah Pacheco. He would give coach Andy Reid a pass-game threat out of 21 personnel with the ability to flex from the backfield. Ekeler caught 51 passes last season with the Chargers and has 440 receptions in his career. Re-signing with the Chargers or joining the Raiders would also be good fits.

Let's use this to kickstart a thread about our preferred Free Agents, who you got?

Couch-Potato 02-21-2024 02:01 PM

Have to say I like Ekeler's fit quite a bit with the Chiefs! We were reportedly interested in Jacobs previously, but his price tag will be too high. I saw a projection for Ekeler at just $6m, sounds like a bargain to me.

RunKC 02-21-2024 02:10 PM

I would love to have Noah Fant here as TE3. He's young and one of the most athletic TE's in the league. Gotta think our offense would get a lot out of him

Dunerdr 02-21-2024 02:11 PM

I think Fant will price out of our league. The name escapes me but one of the seahags rotational guys is a monster at 6’7” and might make an affordable bell replacement.

JPH83 02-21-2024 03:39 PM

I wrote my favourite options but lost the post so can't be arsed to write out my thinking but I'd like Samuel - 2yr/$9m av or Marquise Brown up to $14m per with a 2nd year out. I'd also like Shenault as a cheap reclamation, especially if we boot Toney.

My main priority is Maurice Hurst for around $1-2m. Always broken but if I can get 400 snaps from him for that money I'm happy enough. As a rotational guy he's the best shot at near-elite performance at DT for peanuts. I'd also look at Shelby Harris. This is assuming Jones is kept, if not I'd aim higher.

My least popular choice is listed above. I mentioned Tyron Smith way back. A big risk especially as he'll cost maybe $10m. But man, he looked damn good last year. A massive upgrade on D Smith. More than likely he'd break and it would be a mess. What can I say, I love a gamble.

Couch-Potato 02-21-2024 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPH83 (Post 17412658)
I wrote my favourite options but lost the post so can't be arsed to write out my thinking but I'd like Samuel - 2yr/$9m av or Marquise Brown up to $14m per with a 2nd year out. I'd also like Shenault as a cheap reclamation, especially if we boot Toney.

My main priority is Maurice Hurst for around $1-2m. Always broken but if I can get 400 snaps from him for that money I'm happy enough. As a rotational guy he's the best shot at near-elite performance at DT for peanuts. I'd also look at Shelby Harris. This is assuming Jones is kept, if not I'd aim higher.

My least popular choice is listed above. I mentioned Tyron Smith way back. A big risk especially as he'll cost maybe $10m. But man, he looked damn good last year. A massive upgrade on D Smith. More than likely he'd break and it would be a mess. What can I say, I love a gamble.

But if we had Morris and Niang as backups, and maybe a rookie development tackle for depth as well, would you still be worried about Tyron Smith's health at just $10m cap hit? That's not much, we got by with a D. Smith and Morris this year, and you said yourself T. Smith would be a massive upgrade. That's only $7m more than we spent on D. Smith, and $10m is pretty low for a LT.

Just thinking out loud, I have no dog in this fight.

MahomesMagic 02-21-2024 04:21 PM

I know this is dreaming a bit but if Tony Pollard is available and not crazy $$$$ I would look into it.

Pacheco/Pollard would be fun.

Couch-Potato 02-21-2024 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17412715)
I know this is dreaming a bit but if Tony Pollard is available and not crazy $$$$ I would look into it.

Pacheco/Pollard would be fun.

ESPN expects him to be available, and suggests Josh Jacobs should take his place in DAL.

MahomesMagic 02-21-2024 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 17412745)
ESPN expects him to be available, and suggests Josh Jacobs should take his place in DAL.

I could see Pollard ripping off 30, 40 yard TDs in this offense if we rebuild the WR room.

Couch-Potato 02-21-2024 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17412761)
I could see Pollard ripping off 30, 40 yard TDs in this offense if we rebuild the WR room.

Lots of great options at RB this offseason, FA and draft. I think we'll be pleasantly surprised with the RB room next season.

RunKC 02-21-2024 05:19 PM

Heard Nick Wright mention this guy and I'm all in. He's ****ing awesome and won't cost much.

Also only 25. Say hello to Richie James replacement

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uT5pI5L0Rlc?si=5Jye9C8WW-o8_nG4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Edit: damn he's an ERFA. Maybe we could pry him away depending on the tender.

Couch-Potato 02-21-2024 06:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17412790)
Heard Nick Wright mention this guy and I'm all in. He's ****ing awesome and won't cost much.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uT5pI5L0Rlc?si=5Jye9C8WW-o8_nG4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture; web-share" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Would love that! But he's a restricted rights FA and I don't think there's any chance Saints let him go.

MahomesMagic 02-21-2024 06:21 PM

Quote:

Yeah, he isn’t a secret anymore. If we want a Shaheed we will have to find our own.

kccrow 02-21-2024 08:50 PM

Quote:

There is no real "tender" with an ERFA like an RFA. Can't pry him away unless they are willing to trade him to us and I'd very much doubt that.

kcbubb 02-21-2024 09:10 PM

What about DT Christian Wilkins? I’m not sure the fins can resign him bc they are already $50M over the cap. I think Chris jones is better but Wilkins might be cheaper and he’s younger.

Couch-Potato 02-21-2024 09:37 PM

The more I think about it Ekeler would such an perfect pick up!

He's disgruntled with the Chargers, is 29 which is old for a RB so he might want to chase a SB, he needs a prove it deal to get one last good contract in the league and where better to have success than KC? He probably the best pass catching WR in the league, a perineal fantasy darling, and a huge improvement over McKinnon who's been fantastic for us.

Couch-Potato 02-21-2024 09:38 PM

What about Mike Williams if he's cut? Does he have any juice left to squeeze?

bigjosh 02-21-2024 09:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 17413053)

Would be great for the 6 games a year that he isnt injured

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Couch-Potato 02-21-2024 10:05 PM

I'd let Allen Robinson come to camp and try out for WR 5-7, maybe.

JPH83 02-22-2024 12:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 17412706)
But if we had Morris and Niang as backups, and maybe a rookie development tackle for depth as well, would you still be worried about Tyron Smith's health at just $10m cap hit? That's not much, we got by with a D. Smith and Morris this year, and you said yourself T. Smith would be a massive upgrade. That's only $7m more than we spent on D. Smith, and $10m is pretty low for a LT.

Just thinking out loud, I have no dog in this fight.

I guess I find it hard to see them carrying T Smith, Morris AND another developmental guy on the roster. I suppose it's possible if they cut Niang and don't re-sign D Smith. At least the numbers add up.

I'd probably risk it, yeah. Partly because if D Smith comes back that really only solves the problem for a year anyway, same as T Smith. At some point we need to find that longer term option but maybe it comes a year after this and after we fix WR.

Dante84 02-22-2024 01:29 AM

I read today Lockett will likely be a cap casualty. I wouldn’t mind having his solid hands.

Depending on the rookie, this could be an affordable upgrade at the position group:

Rice
Lockett
Rookie
Watson
Hardman
Rookie

He will be 32 in September, so Veach probably wants nothing to do with him.

kccrow 02-22-2024 02:08 AM

Let's play Madden pretend land for a minute... entertain me...

So the Vikings need to retain Kirk Cousins and re-sign some defensive pieces if they want to contend for the next few years. After Jordan Addison popped off for nearly 1k as a rookie, let's just say they are willing to entertain the idea of trading Justin Jefferson. Since they would be trading us and our picks are lower than Miami's were when we trade Hill, and he's probably more valuable than Tyreek Hill, let's say the trade needs to be this:

2024 1st Rd Pick
2025 1st Rd Pick
2024 3rd Rd Pick
2025 4th Rd Pick

It's alot but it's for a guy that just might be the best WR in the game.

Keep in mind you aren't likely to be retaining Sneed either. Would you do it to go all-in on a Super Bowl?

Couch-Potato 02-22-2024 02:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 17413180)

So the Vikings need to retain Kirk Cousins and re-sign some defensive pieces if they want to contend for the next few years. After Jordan Addison popped off for nearly 1k as a rookie, let's just say they are willing to entertain the idea of trading Justin Jefferson. Since they would be trading us and our picks are lower than Miami's were when we trade Hill, and he's probably more valuable than Tyreek Hill, let's say the trade needs to be this:

2024 1st Rd Pick
2025 1st Rd Pick
2024 3rd Rd Pick
2025 4th Rd Pick

Keep in mind you aren't likely to be retaining Sneed either. Would you do it to go all-in on a Super Bowl?

I've been thinking the same. Why rely on a rookie WR when we can go all in on a vet? Jefferson did say he wants to reset the WR market, and I'm pretty sure we wouldn't do that for him. Diggs is also unhappy in BUF, but I don't think they'd trade him to us. Also, if either becomes available we likley have the worst pkg bc of our draft position. But, sure, I'd be down to get a little wild and go for broke. Now or never!

kcbubb 02-22-2024 04:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 17413053)

I love this idea. And I think Andy could make it work. Keep rotating your WRs and keep Mike Williams snaps low and then unleash him the playoffs. He’s a great player. He just can’t stay healthy. I’m really only interested in cheap free agents. What would Mike Williams cost?

O.city 02-22-2024 08:39 AM

Quote:

2024 1st Rd Pick
2025 1st Rd Pick
2024 3rd Rd Pick
2025 4th Rd Pick

Based on the rumblings I've heard from his contract negotiation.....probably not.

As good as he is, I just don't think there's any chance he provides enough to justify that. I'm always pro "trade for" but there's just no way the Chiefs can do that.

Dante84 02-22-2024 12:45 PM

Quote:

2024 1st Rd Pick
2025 1st Rd Pick
2024 3rd Rd Pick
2025 4th Rd Pick

I probably would not, because we were just able to win one with Rice and 5 scrubs. I think 3 guys who can simply catch the ball would move the needle drastically.

Pick your favorite upside WR in Round 1 if they're there, and add 2 mid-priced Vets with sure hands. Keep Watson & Hardman on vet minimums.

Couch-Potato 02-22-2024 12:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 17413172)
I read today Lockett will likely be a cap casualty. I wouldn’t mind having his solid hands.

Depending on the rookie, this could be an affordable upgrade at the position group:

Rice
Lockett
Rookie
Watson
Hardman
Rookie

He will be 32 in September, so Veach probably wants nothing to do with him.

^THIS is the best fit IMHO.

He'd be my #1 target, then Ekeler #2. I've always felt that Lockett is the perfect match for an Andy Reid WR, and we're always looking for a guy just like him. See Sky Moore as an example that didn't pan out.

Woogieman 02-23-2024 11:17 AM

There is a lot of talking head chatter about Mike Evans to the Chiefs. TO me, it seems the likeliest destination is Houston...he is from Galveston, the Texans have a ton of cap space, and he would play a few yrs with a budding superstar. I can see the Chiefs having a ceiling of Brown or Ridley, but maybe just going after Lockett or Mooney and drafting a Mitchell or Franklin in the first. Surely they have more confidence that a rookie WR can produce if given the chance to make a few mistakes in the 1st half of the season

Woogieman 02-23-2024 11:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 17413728)
^THIS is the best fit IMHO.

He'd be my #1 target, then Ekeler #2. I've always felt that Lockett is the perfect match for an Andy Reid WR, and we're always looking for a guy just like him. See Sky Moore as an example that didn't pan out.

What do you think Ekeler would accept per yr to play for the Chiefs? How much of a SB discount would he accept at 28?

MahomesMagic 02-23-2024 11:55 AM

This might be affordable AND impactful.

Sign Darnell Mooney, WR 12-14 Million

Sign Tony Pollard, RB 8 Million

Sign Noah Brown, WR 6 Million

Then use 1st round pick on a Adonai Mitchell and we have rebuilt the weapons while staying on a very affordable set of players as Rice and Mitchell would be the top 2 WR's and on rookie contracts.

JPH83 02-23-2024 11:58 AM

I don't like Mooney, got to be honest. I'd prefer Samuel or Brown at that price

MahomesMagic 02-23-2024 12:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JPH83 (Post 17415014)
I don't like Mooney, got to be honest. I'd prefer Samuel or Brown at that price

I love Samuel. Would be happy with him too but then you have Samuel and Rice would need to find ways to make it work while Mooney or Hollywood are more naturally complimentary.

I would not be against Samuel though, great player at what he does.

Couch-Potato 02-23-2024 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woogieman (Post 17414941)
What do you think Ekeler would accept per yr to play for the Chiefs? How much of a SB discount would he accept at 28?

$6m

Chargem 02-23-2024 03:36 PM

Quote:

2024 1st Rd Pick
2025 1st Rd Pick
2024 3rd Rd Pick
2025 4th Rd Pick

Maybe I am my own but I am just not excited about this kind of idea. One elite WR does not move the needle for me. The Chiefs had a single elite WR in Tyreek (paired with a younger Kelce) and went 1-3 in attempts to win the Superbowl from 2018 - 2021.

I just prefer balance, especially with how this WR class looks.

Couch-Potato 02-23-2024 03:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargem (Post 17415431)
Maybe I am my own but I am just not excited about this kind of idea. One elite WR does not move the needle for me. The Chiefs had a single elite WR in Tyreek (paired with a younger Kelce) and went 1-3 in attempts to win the Superbowl from 2018 - 2021.

I just prefer balance, especially with how this WR class looks.

BUT we also have Rice now, AND we can take a higher quality WR than typical at the bottom of the 1st or 2nd considering we have very few holes on our SB roster.

If there's ever a time to make a splash and go for broke, it's now!

Chargem 02-23-2024 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 17415440)
BUT we also have Rice now, AND we can take a higher quality WR than typical at the bottom of the 1st or 2nd considering we have very few holes on our SB roster.

If there's ever a time to make a splash and go for broke, it's now!

We had Sammy Watkins, and a younger/healthier Kelce. Plus in the example I quoted, we don't have a 1st round pick any more.

People are horny for a number 1 receiver and I get it, but the suggestions are just taking us back to where we were before, having a #1 is not some way the Chiefs are going to break the league. They got held to 3 points by the Titans with Tyreek and Kelce on the field in 2021.

I agree with you about the draft, which is why I would not trade our #1 pick this year.

Couch-Potato 02-23-2024 07:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargem (Post 17415454)
We had Sammy Watkins, and a younger/healthier Kelce. Plus in the example I quoted, we don't have a 1st round pick any more.

People are horny for a number 1 receiver and I get it, but the suggestions are just taking us back to where we were before, having a #1 is not some way the Chiefs are going to break the league. They got held to 3 points by the Titans with Tyreek and Kelce on the field in 2021.

I agree with you about the draft, which is why I would not trade our #1 pick this year.

I think the difference for me is that we have significantly more cap flexibility now, the cap is going up more and more every season and veach is a creative contract wizard, as well as incentive to go for broke considering we'd be the first 3-peat in the modern era.

Roster is A+ we just need a cherry on top!

RunKC 02-23-2024 07:57 PM

Mooney seems like a pretty decent player to replace MVS but I don't see the $10 millon APY figure. He had 1 TD and like 400 yards this year. Less than 500 and only 2 TD's the year before that.

His value isn't that high. I'm thinking probably $7-8 million APY is fair value for him.

RunKC 02-23-2024 09:31 PM

Holy shit this is pretty damning.

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Wide receivers to fetch $30M+ with a new team in free agency 2016-2023 <a href="https://t.co/l91rN1OCGv">pic.twitter.com/l91rN1OCGv</a></p>&mdash; Ian Hartitz (@Ihartitz) <a href="https://twitter.com/Ihartitz/status/1760792010263273518?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 22, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Couch-Potato 02-23-2024 11:26 PM

MSN:

18. Chiefs: OT Tyron Smith
The Chiefs took a one-year flyer on Donovan Smith at left tackle in 2023, and it worked just well enough. Smith is far more talented, even with an injury history, and makes sense as another stopgap blind-side protector for Patrick Mahomes.

Couch-Potato 02-23-2024 11:34 PM

MSN:

18. Chiefs: OT Tyron Smith
The Chiefs took a one-year flyer on Donovan Smith at left tackle in 2023, and it worked just well enough. Smith is far more talented, even with an injury history, and makes sense as another stopgap blind-side protector for Patrick Mahomes.

Chargem 02-24-2024 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 17415703)
Mooney seems like a pretty decent player to replace MVS but I don't see the $10 millon APY figure. He had 1 TD and like 400 yards this year. Less than 500 and only 2 TD's the year before that.

His value isn't that high. I'm thinking probably $7-8 million APY is fair value for him.

I feel like I might be stealing someone else's suggestion, but Mooney getting the Juju contract would be great. 1 year deal, 4m plus incentives that could be 10m total

O.city 02-24-2024 10:23 AM

Tyron is really good he’s just hurt a lot and he’s old

Couch-Potato 02-24-2024 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17416099)
Tyron is really good he’s just hurt a lot and he’s old

So... we only need him to play 1 partial year, Morris has proved he can fill in.

Get Tyron healthy for playoffs and SB run.

Dunerdr 02-24-2024 11:59 AM

Ogbah is cut by the dolphins. Bring him in for the right price to bridge the gap while we wait for CO?

MahomesMagic 02-24-2024 12:22 PM

Quote:

Not happening.

All it takes is one other team and he's young, runs a 4.3 and has produced before.

Chargem 02-24-2024 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dunerdr (Post 17416190)
Ogbah is cut by the dolphins. Bring him in for the right price to bridge the gap while we wait for CO?

This occurred to me too, you need 1 veteran DE to probably be the starter/rotate heavily with FAU, that cannot be Herring I don't think.

I don't know what his price would be though, compared to say Danna who we think the Chiefs probably can't afford to bring back

AusChief 02-25-2024 12:41 AM

I like Mooney if he comes cheap. But anything around the MVS money is theft. His highlights remain elite but he’s been bad on a bad team. He’s WR 3 for them now and that says most of what you need to know regardless of who’s playing QB for them.

On a cheap prove it deal then sure absolute. A multi year decent contract should be a hard pass.

In regards to WR I think we sleep off the first days of FA and wait to see who’s bluffing and then maybe see who might get released in a cap dump. A Lockett or Mike Williams for example.

Couch-Potato 02-25-2024 11:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AusChief (Post 17416690)
I like Mooney if he comes cheap. But anything around the MVS money is theft. His highlights remain elite but he’s been bad on a bad team. He’s WR 3 for them now and that says most of what you need to know regardless of who’s playing QB for them.

On a cheap prove it deal then sure absolute. A multi year decent contract should be a hard pass.

In regards to WR I think we sleep off the first days of FA and wait to see who’s bluffing and then maybe see who might get released in a cap dump. A Lockett or Mike Williams for example.

I prefer DJ Chark over Mooney, as a low cost option, personally.

He's slightly more seasoned, a better replacement size-wise for MVS at 6-3 200 lbs w/ 4.34 speed, and played for $3m last season.

He also outperformed both MVS, Mooney, and Hardman last season.

Seems like a no brainer to me.

Couch-Potato 02-25-2024 11:26 AM

I'm curious though, do you think the Chiefs explore a restructure with MVS?

He caught some nice balls in the post-season.

bigjosh 02-25-2024 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 17416871)

He's slightly more seasoned, a better replacement size-wise for MVS at 6-3 200 lbs w/ 4.34 speed, and played for $3m last season.

I was big on chark a few years ago. I think the talent was there but he misses time often and hasnt really been a wr2 level receiver for a few years. On a carolina team devoid of wr talent he did almost nothing last year while actually playing in almost all the games.

His salary was 5m last year. I would take him for that or less with the understanding that he is essentially another MVS flyer.

If mooney would take the same 5m, i would rather have him. If you watch Chicago at all you see this dude flying open constantly. And he has missed minimal time too.

bigjosh 02-25-2024 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 17416888)
I'm curious though, do you think the Chiefs explore a restructure with MVS?

He caught some nice balls in the post-season.

The only reason i think this is a possibility is because he is the only real vet that can help young wrs learn the offense, but i suppose Watson could do that too.

I dont think a “restructure” is right. I think it would have to be a straight up pay cut.

Couch-Potato 02-25-2024 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bigjosh (Post 17416900)
I was big on chark a few years ago. I think the talent was there but he misses time often and hasnt really been a wr2 level receiver for a few years. On a carolina team devoid of wr talent he did almost nothing last year while actually playing in almost all the games.

His salary was 5m last year. I would take him for that or less with the understanding that he is essentially another MVS flyer.

If mooney would take the same 5m, i would rather have him. If you watch Chicago at all you see this dude flying open constantly. And he has missed minimal time too.

His prev contract was 1yr $5m, last year he played on a 1yr $3m deal. Still out produced both MVS and Mooney, I'm not expecting him to be a #2, more like #3 or #4.

MahomesMagic 02-25-2024 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 17416871)

Chark is way too meh for me.

Just a vertical guy that runs downs the field.

Mooney is a way better player and will get more $$$$ in FA.

kozzman555 02-25-2024 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17417091)
Chark is way too meh for me.

Just a vertical guy that runs downs the field.

Mooney is a way better player and will get more $$$$ in FA.

I thought I read somewhere that DJ Chark was in the top 10 of wide receivers this last year for lack of separation. How does a vertical guy lead the league in not being able to get separation if he's a deep ball guy? He was pretty good a couple of years ago, but has dropped off in a big way recently.

Stryker 02-25-2024 09:31 PM

Quote:

That is exactly why I do not understand the Mooney connection with the CHIEFS?

Stryker 02-25-2024 09:34 PM

Tyron Smith - Hell to the no! Can't help the club in the tub!

Ekeler, Man I don't know - he was God awful last season yet, wanted to prove himself towards the end of the season. He basically F'd me in FF last season. :banghead:

Chris Meck 02-25-2024 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stryker (Post 17417367)
That is exactly why I do not understand the Mooney connection with the CHIEFS?

Lemme 'splain:

Mooney had a 1000 yard season under coach Nagy (our offense) with Turdbiskey at QB.

Then The Bears drafted Fields. Fields sucks.
Mooney got injured, and while out, DJ Moore became the focal point of the downfield passing attack.

Fields isn't a guy that gets to his second read, he just reads one, and either dumps it off short or takes off running.

So DJ Moore gets the lion's share of targets, the TE gets the dump-offs, and Fields runs the rest of the time.

So, Mooney, who is still young, has had a 1000 yard season IN THIS OFFENSE, with Matt Nagy, who's our offensive coordinator. He runs a 4.3. He can fly.

Stryker 02-25-2024 10:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 17417376)
Lemme 'splain:

Mooney had a 1000 yard season under coach Nagy (our offense) with Turdbiskey at QB.

Mooney got injured, and while out, DJ Moore became the focal point of the downfield passing attack.

Fields isn't a guy that gets to his second read, he just reads one, and either dumps it off short or takes off running.

So DJ Moore gets the lion's share of targets, the TE gets the dump-offs, and Fields runs the rest of the time.

So, Mooney, who is still young, has had a 1000 yard season IN THIS OFFENSE, with Matt Nagy, who's our offensive coordinator. He runs a 4.3. He can fly.

Ok, I get it now and thank you for the splain! :thumb:

duncan_idaho 02-26-2024 08:37 AM

Quote:

Lemme 'splain:

Yeah, Mooney is not a sexy addition because of how things have been going in Chicago the last 2 years, but it's one of those moves that could just look really smart and prompt Jesse Pinkman/getting away with it memes.

He's not my #1 target for the FA WR room, but if Darnell Mooney being the WR they add means they keep Chris Jones, I can be down with that for sure.

He's a fast guy who can do the Valdes-Scantling things, but also can do some of the gadget things, too.

MahomesMagic 02-26-2024 11:33 AM

Quote:

Lemme 'splain:

Watch Mooney year 1 as a rookie and he often was running wide open for an easy TD and never got the ball.

He would be a huge value signing in KC as Mahomes would LoVE him.

He runs routes far better than MVS or Mecole but actually can track and fight for a ball. And he’s fast so that is threatening.

We need guys that will punish teams that sit on our short routes.

Chris Meck 02-26-2024 06:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahomesMagic (Post 17417732)
Watch Mooney year 1 as a rookie and he often was running wide open for an easy TD and never got the ball.

He would be a huge value signing in KC as Mahomes would LoVE him.

He runs routes far better than MVS or Mecole but actually can track and fight for a ball. And he’s fast so that is threatening.

We need guys that will punish teams that sit on our short routes.

The one thing we agree on.

ForeverChiefs58 02-28-2024 07:53 AM

The Chiefs now must quickly turn their attention to bolstering the roster for another deep run in the 2024-25 season. In addition to major names like Chris Jones and L'Jarius Sneed, there are over 20 free agents for the organization that Brett Veach must make decisions on.

With around only $23 million in projected cap space as it stands, it's likely some contracts will be restructured to free up some money, but Veach's task will not be easy.

As we enter the offseason, here's a quick guide for what Chiefs are free agents and which category they fall into, sorted by their average annual value thus far in their careers. Thus, the lower a player is on the list, the less money they've made so far on average.
Chiefs Unrestricted Free Agents:

DT Chris Jones
WR Mecole Hardman
S Mike Edwards
LB Drue Tranquill
LT Donovan Smith
RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire
P Tommy Townsend
G Nick Allegretti
DE Tershawn Wharton
LS James Winchester
LB Willie Gay Jr.
QB Blaine Gabbert
RB Jerick McKinnon
DT Derrick Nnadi
WR Richie James
TE Blake Bell
S Deon Bush
CB L'Jarius Sneed
DE Mike Danna

That's a lot of names and a lot of important contributors with not a lot of cap space to work with.

Unrestricted free agents are ones who have accrued at least four seasons of NFL service time and are free to negotiate and sign with any team in the league. It's notable that Sneed and Danna are so low on the list, because they've both made under $1 million in average annual value so far in their careers.

Sneed was perhaps the best cornerback in football while Danna compiled 6.5 sacks in an impressive campaign. It's understandable that both would be seeking their first big payday in the NFL, which makes it difficult to convince either to take a hometown discount.
Chiefs Restricted Free Agent:

T Prince Tega Wanogho
TE Jody Fortson
DE Malik Herring

Restricted free agents are players whose contracts have expired but they've only accrued three seasons of service time.

These players can also sign with any team, though the Chiefs can offer a qualifying tender that could result in draft compensation and/or the right of first refusal. Fortson is a fan-favorite who landed on the Injured Reserve list this year, while Herring and Tega Wanogho could be kept as depth pieces.
Chiefs Exclusive Restricted Free Agent:

LB Jack Cochrane
CB Nazeeh Johnson
G Mike Caliendo

An exclusive restricted free agent is a player who has less than three years of accrued service and is no longer under contract.

If the Chiefs choose to tender any of these players, the player will be assigned a one-year contract at the league minimum based on the number of seasons he has completed.
These players are not allowed to negotiate with other teams until Kansas City makes its decision on tenders.

Put everything together and the Chiefs have 25 total free agents, though three of those fall under the exclusive tag. It should be an interesting offseason as Veach and his front office staff make decisions and negotiate with these players.

https://kckingdom.com/posts/full-upd...s-01hpg2e2wcvf

kcbubb 03-04-2024 11:04 AM

With a few RBs having a poor performance at the combine, what do y’all think about AJ Dillon? I know he had a bad year last year but the athletic traits are there. You can see them on this run and he can catch also.

https://youtu.be/4QN_tGHDnus?si=B4RthFMb-ivzvF1R

He’s young at 25 years old and he could be signed cheap, maybe one year at $3.5M, at least according to sportrac.

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/green-ba.../market-value/

Dillion is a unique athlete. Look at his combine numbers. He’d be a great thunder and short yardage back to combine with pachecos speed. Why use draft capital on a RB when we can sign Dillion this cheap and we already have Pacheco?

He’s 6’ and 245 lbs.

40-Yard Dash
Seconds
10-Yard Split
Seconds
Vertical Jump
41’’
Broad Jump
10’ 11’’
3-Cone Drill
Seconds
Bench Press
Reps

Stryker 03-04-2024 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverChiefs58 (Post 17420633)
The Chiefs now must quickly turn their attention to bolstering the roster for another deep run in the 2024-25 season. In addition to major names like Chris Jones and L'Jarius Sneed, there are over 20 free agents for the organization that Brett Veach must make decisions on.

With around only $23 million in projected cap space as it stands, it's likely some contracts will be restructured to free up some money, but Veach's task will not be easy.

As we enter the offseason, here's a quick guide for what Chiefs are free agents and which category they fall into, sorted by their average annual value thus far in their careers. Thus, the lower a player is on the list, the less money they've made so far on average.
Chiefs Unrestricted Free Agents:

DT Chris Jones
WR Mecole Hardman
S Mike Edwards
LB Drue Tranquill
LT Donovan Smith
RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire
P Tommy Townsend
G Nick Allegretti
DE Tershawn Wharton
LS James Winchester
LB Willie Gay Jr.
QB Blaine Gabbert
RB Jerick McKinnon
DT Derrick Nnadi
WR Richie James
TE Blake Bell
S Deon Bush
CB L'Jarius Sneed
DE Mike Danna

That's a lot of names and a lot of important contributors with not a lot of cap space to work with.

Unrestricted free agents are ones who have accrued at least four seasons of NFL service time and are free to negotiate and sign with any team in the league. It's notable that Sneed and Danna are so low on the list, because they've both made under $1 million in average annual value so far in their careers.

Sneed was perhaps the best cornerback in football while Danna compiled 6.5 sacks in an impressive campaign. It's understandable that both would be seeking their first big payday in the NFL, which makes it difficult to convince either to take a hometown discount.
Chiefs Restricted Free Agent:

T Prince Tega Wanogho
TE Jody Fortson
DE Malik Herring

Restricted free agents are players whose contracts have expired but they've only accrued three seasons of service time.

These players can also sign with any team, though the Chiefs can offer a qualifying tender that could result in draft compensation and/or the right of first refusal. Fortson is a fan-favorite who landed on the Injured Reserve list this year, while Herring and Tega Wanogho could be kept as depth pieces.
Chiefs Exclusive Restricted Free Agent:

LB Jack Cochrane
CB Nazeeh Johnson
G Mike Caliendo

An exclusive restricted free agent is a player who has less than three years of accrued service and is no longer under contract.

If the Chiefs choose to tender any of these players, the player will be assigned a one-year contract at the league minimum based on the number of seasons he has completed.
These players are not allowed to negotiate with other teams until Kansas City makes its decision on tenders.

Put everything together and the Chiefs have 25 total free agents, though three of those fall under the exclusive tag. It should be an interesting offseason as Veach and his front office staff make decisions and negotiate with these players.

https://kckingdom.com/posts/full-upd...s-01hpg2e2wcvf

I believe these guys are gone...

RB Clyde Edwards-Helaire
P Tommy Townsend
LB Willie Gay Jr.
QB Blaine Gabbert
RB Jerick McKinnon
WR Richie James
TE Blake Bell
CB L'Jarius Sneed
DE Mike Danna

LagunaSWana 03-07-2024 11:03 PM

What do folks think about D'Andre Swift as a free agent target? Rushed for 1049 yards this year behind a great o-line. Also had 39 receptions. His stats are actually similar to Pacheco's. He's 25 years old. I think he would be a great replacement for CEH and/or McKinnon. Not sure what kind of contract the market will entertain and if he would be in the ballpark for the Chiefs.

kcbubb 03-08-2024 08:49 AM

I like swift. I’d rather have Dillion. I do think swift would be electric in this offense but I think Dillion adds an element that we really lack with power running. Dillion would help us in short yardage and help us run clock at the end of games with power running. Dillion is also a great wr. So, is swift but I feel like Dillion adds an element to our offense that we really need. Pacheco is very explosive and a great wr so we already have some of that chunk play ability with Pacheco. Either way, there are solid free agent options for RBs that could be cheap. I’m not sure I’d draft a rb this year with the cheap free agent rb options available.

smith11 03-09-2024 05:13 AM

two exclusive rights free agents who could add speed and big play ability to wr position--greg dortch of cardinals and rashid shaheed of saints

Dunerdr 03-09-2024 02:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcbubb (Post 17432337)
I like swift. I’d rather have Dillion. I do think swift would be electric in this offense but I think Dillion adds an element that we really lack with power running. Dillion would help us in short yardage and help us run clock at the end of games with power running. Dillion is also a great wr. So, is swift but I feel like Dillion adds an element to our offense that we really need. Pacheco is very explosive and a great wr so we already have some of that chunk play ability with Pacheco. Either way, there are solid free agent options for RBs that could be cheap. I’m not sure I’d draft a rb this year with the cheap free agent rb options available.

Dillion sucked shit last year.

Couch-Potato 03-11-2024 05:29 PM

Aggressive RB market this offseason!