ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Let's talk about Harris's catch. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=310866)

BigRedChief 10-16-2017 08:47 AM

Let's talk about Harris's catch.

We have visual evidence he had control of the ball with two feet down.

If someone leans forward and puts the ball across the goal line, then gets it batted away by the defense before he's down, its still a TD.

Reid says he didn't think it was a catch, so he didn't challenge. Why not challenge anyway. Sometimes you get the call when you didn't think you had a chance.

The only way I can see thats not a catch is that stupid rule of controlling the ball when going to the ground.

I havent heard from anyone who knows the rules inside and out. Was this a case of not controlling the ball when going to the ground?

Hammock Parties 10-16-2017 08:49 AM

Looks to me like as he gets his second foot down he loses control.

https://i.imgur.com/jHMDBJr.gif

kevonm 10-16-2017 08:50 AM

And my question is, if he didn't continue the entire catch process, how long is long enough? Does he need to hang on for another full second, does he need to complete the wrestling match with the defender? Can the ball be knocked out of his hands at any point until the whistle is arbitrarily blown? Even if we say this is definitely not a catch, how late can the ball be knocked out and it be a catch?

Sandy Vagina 10-16-2017 08:50 AM

He took 3 steps before the ball came free, but I wouldn't expect these refs to give KC a call like that. So, was no surprise, and par for the course of a terrible football afternoon.

kcpasco 10-16-2017 08:53 AM

Kind of reminded of that Packers Seahawks MNF game a few years ago with the replacement refs. They called it a TD after the Packers guy intercepted it because he ripped it away.

That was a BS call and this should have been a TD.

petegz28 10-16-2017 08:53 AM

Reid should have challenged it...period. Win or lose, you have to throw the red flag there.

O.city 10-16-2017 08:53 AM

He didn't control it all the way thru.

Control and 2 feet down on a catch in the emdzone don't automatically make it a catch in today's nfl

jjchieffan 10-16-2017 08:54 AM

It would be nice if someone could gif it up for us to see. I felt like it was the right call at the time. But if I saw it again, I might agree that your argument is valid.

dirk digler 10-16-2017 08:55 AM

It wasn't a catch, if it didn't hit the ground might have been an INT instead

kevonm 10-16-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13155888)

Control and 2 feet down on a catch in the emdzone don't automatically make it a catch in today's nfl

Can we define all the way through. Is that until the ref blows the whistle or is it more objective than that?

Hammock Parties 10-16-2017 08:56 AM

Quote:

A forward pass is complete (by the offense) or intercepted (by the defense) if a player, who is inbounds:

secures control of the ball in his hands or arms prior to the ball touching the ground; and
touches the ground inbounds with both feet or with any part of his body other than his hands; and

maintains control of the ball after (a) and (b) have been fulfilled, until he has the ball long enough to clearly become a runner. A player has the ball long enough to become a runner when, after his second foot is on the ground, he is capable of avoiding or warding off impending contact of an opponent, tucking the ball away, turning up field, or taking additional steps (see 3-2-7-Item 2).

Item 3. End Zone Catches. The requirements for a catch in the end zone are the same as the requirements for a catch in the field of play.
That play would probable be ruled incomplete or a fumble outside the end zone, so it is IN the end zone, too.

redfan 10-16-2017 08:56 AM

Just another "WTF Andy?!?!" moment. Really shoulda challenged here. But we all know what that outcome woulda been: no catch.

O.city 10-16-2017 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kevonm (Post 13155896)
Can we define all the way through. Is that until the ref blows the whistle or is it more objective than that?

It's objective

Eleazar 10-16-2017 08:58 AM

I do not think it was a catch, in terms of completing the process. It was just a drop.

I also find it interesting that no one else, the announcers or anyone thought it worthy of a challenge, and there hasn't been any discussion in the media that I have seen about it being a questionable call, so I think this is most non-Chief fans' view on it.

O.city 10-16-2017 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13155898)
That play would probable be ruled incomplete or a fumble outside the end zone, so it is IN the end zone, too.

The endzone is different though. You couldn't have a fumble in that situation as you would have to establish possession of the catch to have a fumble and once that happens the play is dead

The Franchise 10-16-2017 08:59 AM

Yet I still don't get why Smith looks at Harris when in the redzone.

kevonm 10-16-2017 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13155903)
It's objective

Maybe I am missing it then, can you objectively tell me how long Harris would need to retain possession?

DaFace 10-16-2017 09:00 AM

I officially have no idea what is and isn't a catch in today's NFL.

Reerun_KC 10-16-2017 09:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13155888)

Ball broke the plane of the endzone.

2 feet down Ball in 2 hands in endzone = catch, play over.

It's not debatable unless NFL.

The Franchise 10-16-2017 09:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13155922)

It's ok....neither do the refs.

TomBarndtsTwin 10-16-2017 09:01 AM

You can't say Reid should have challenged it, but then say 'well, it wouldn't have been ruled a catch anyway'.

That's just ****ing stupid. If you believe that, then you're okay with him just arbitrarily wasting a time out (which people bitch about him doing all the time). He would have needed that TO at the end of the game to have a shot to win.

Reerun_KC 10-16-2017 09:01 AM

And according to the NFL there isn't a process to complete a catch.

That have no ****ing clue what a catch really is anymore.

Hammock Parties 10-16-2017 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13155909)
The endzone is different though.

Item 3. End Zone Catches. The requirements for a catch in the end zone are the same as the requirements for a catch in the field of play.

dirk digler 10-16-2017 09:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 13155924)

Still has to complete the "process" which didn't happen IMO

The Franchise 10-16-2017 09:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 13155935)

Yet no one knows exactly what the "process" is anymore.

nychief 10-16-2017 09:03 AM

you still challenge, regardless.

Eleazar 10-16-2017 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13155932)

Exactly how can an offensive player have possession of the football in the end zone and then fumble?

Dartgod 10-16-2017 09:05 AM

I thought it was a catch/TD, but I also do not have a clear understanding of the rules.

I also think that had we challenged, there was not enough evidence to overturn it.

Hammock Parties 10-16-2017 09:05 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 13155941)
Exactly how can an offensive player have possession of the football in the end zone and then fumble?

He can't. But apparently he has to maintain control long enough to become a runner in the end zone, too.

Which seems stupid, honestly.

dirk digler 10-16-2017 09:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13155937)
Yet no one knows exactly what the "process" is anymore.

True. We have seen the NFL changes calls if the ball even moves a little bit during the catch. To me this wasn't even close to catch and more likely would have been an INT if it didn't hit the ground.

The bigger question is why they continue to put Harris in situations like this because he can't catch worth a damn.

O.city 10-16-2017 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13155932)

Once you have possession in the endzone, the play is dead. Establishing when possession occurs is the debate here though so yeah, it seems stupid

The Franchise 10-16-2017 09:13 AM

As soon as both of your feet hit the ground in the endzone, as long as you still have possession, then it's a ****ing TD. It's complete and utter bullshit that you have to check off 10 different things to catch a TD but the line of the endzone goes on forever and it doesn't matter if you're hovering above the out of bounds.....it's a TD if you cross it.

kevonm 10-16-2017 09:15 AM

I think if Harris puts down two feet, steps out of bounds and then the ball gets knocked out it is ruled a catch
Maybe I am wrong, and fully believe incomplete may be the right call, I just wish they could better define something that likely can't be more clearly defined.

I also felt like the defender didn't even attempt to displace the ball until two feet were down. He was the only one touching the ball, the ball was not moving, and he put two feet down. After that happened the defender successfully knocked the ball loose

O.city 10-16-2017 09:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 13155965)
True. We have seen the NFL changes calls if the ball even moves a little bit during the catch. To me this wasn't even close to catch and more likely would have been an INT if it didn't hit the ground.

The bigger question is why they continue to put Harris in situations like this because he can't catch worth a damn.

I dunno

That was a pretty damn fine effort from Harris

InChiefsHeaven 10-16-2017 09:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13155998)
I dunno

This. I mean...what the hell...not sure how you can blame him for this.

Dartgod 10-16-2017 09:25 AM

Why is it always Harris that Alex is looking for in those situations? I see Harris and Travis in that gif. Where in the **** is Kelce?

ThaVirus 10-16-2017 09:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13155916)
Yet I still don't get why Smith looks at Harris when in the redzone.

That wasn't the best look but Harris has actually come up big in the end zone these last couple years.

In such a tight space there isn't much wiggle room and your stars are going to be keyed on. It's almost genius to look to the 6'6" back up TE.

dirk digler 10-16-2017 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13155998)
I dunno

Yes it was great effort, not that great of a pass and would have been a tough catch for anybody. I just don't have any trust in Harris anymore.

Hammock Parties 10-16-2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13156019)
Why is it always Harris that Alex is looking for in those situations? I see Harris and Travis in that gif. Where in the **** is Kelce?

Covered.

https://i.imgur.com/HCGdC6V.gif

007 10-16-2017 09:45 AM

Lets not dwell on this. Nothing can be done to change it anyway. I would bet every ref in the league would have called it exactly the same way. The way the rule is written they made the correct call. Sucks because the NFL has overdefined what a catch truly is.

TimBone 10-16-2017 09:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 13155922)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pestilence (Post 13155925)
It's ok....neither do the refs.

And its been this way for a couple of years now. Anytime a catch is reviewed, it really is a crap shoot regarding what the refs are going to say coming out of the review.

Easy 6 10-16-2017 09:51 AM

Leaving it wide open for ref interpretation like that is asking to be hosed

ThaVirus 10-16-2017 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hammock Parties (Post 13155867)
Looks to me like as he gets his second foot down he loses control.

https://i.imgur.com/jHMDBJr.gif

LMAO Oh, man. Honestly, I still think that's a TD.

As soon as that ball hits his hands, he has CONTROL of it. At that point, he just has to establish POSSESSION by getting both feet down, which he does when that right foot taps the ground. He clearly maintains possession throughout that catch.

The DB rips it out after what should have already been called a TD.

kepp 10-16-2017 10:01 AM

From my view, he had the ball controlled with both hands with two feet down. The defender's hands were intertwined with Harris' hands and he was pulling him to the ground. The fact that he was pulling him to the ground make the "complete the process" argument null. He had complete control of the ball in the endzone.

kevonm 10-16-2017 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kepp (Post 13156133)
From my view, he had the ball controlled with both hands with two feet down. The defender's hands were intertwined with Harris' hands and he was pulling him to the ground. The fact that he was pulling him to the ground make the "complete the process" argument null. He had complete control of the ball in the endzone.

That is my point as well, they were not fighting for it as soon as it touched his hands. He had control, put two feet down, and then the ball was ripped out. There is no question if he had immediately stepped out of bounds after the two steps it would have been ruled complete, so how is it getting ripped out after he made two steps any different?

He definitely could have made a football play except their hands were intertwined. The DB made no play to dislodge the ball until he had put two feet down

I know the point is moot, but I think it's an interesting point of discussion

Mosbonian 10-16-2017 10:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 13155908)
I do not think it was a catch, in terms of completing the process. It was just a drop.

I also find it interesting that no one else, the announcers or anyone thought it worthy of a challenge, and there hasn't been any discussion in the media that I have seen about it being a questionable call, so I think this is most non-Chief fans' view on it.

Actually Romo did question it on the replay.

Ragged Robin 10-16-2017 10:22 AM

IMO it was worth a challenge but it was most likely not going to get overturned, ended up not needing the timeout anyway. Should have taken the FG in the first place though

CaliforniaChief 10-16-2017 10:25 AM

3rd down call: Garbage.
Not taking the FG: Garbage.
4th down call: Garbage.
Not challenging? Yeah, Garbage.

That was a really bad sequence for Andy.

O.city 10-16-2017 10:29 AM

The more I watch it the more it looks like he does have possession and two feet down and it's in a controlled state

Ming the Merciless 10-16-2017 10:31 AM

I'll admit this:

I thought it was a touchdown when I saw it. It looked like a TD that was ripped out after the fact....and I do not know, still...how this rule works. I have no clue what the proper ruling is. I have a feeling, since we didnt challenge it ...and no one made a stink over it...that it was not a TD....but thats simply a guess.

I'd love it if some of you drafturbator geniouses could enlighten me.

Ming the Merciless 10-16-2017 10:32 AM

And, absoluetly yes. I was horrified we didnt take the 3 points and move on.

Absolutely game losing decision, right there.

Discuss Thrower 10-16-2017 10:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 13155950)
I thought it was a catch/TD, but I also do not have a clear understanding of the rules.

You're now qualified to referee and NFL football game.

Gravedigger 10-16-2017 10:52 AM

The thing that burns me is the no call for challenge. Let the Refs decide the catch, maybe they give it to us and we have a chance. Taking it away wasn't egregious, but I would waste a timeout to at least try to get 7 points, instead of lose by 6.

Reerun_KC 10-16-2017 11:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dirk digler (Post 13155935)

Can you explain the "process".

Reerun_KC 10-16-2017 11:06 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CaliforniaChief (Post 13156194)
3rd down call: Garbage.
Not taking the FG: Garbage.
4th down call: Garbage.
Not challenging? Yeah, Garbage.

That was a really bad sequence for Andy.

These attributes are why some of us just love the fat guy.

FishingRod 10-16-2017 11:16 AM

So is this correct? if it is ruled a score it gets automatically reviewed but if ruled not a score the coach has to challenge?

nbarone007 10-16-2017 11:22 AM

Not challenging this play is dumb. Its an extremely controversial play that you want the refs to determine the outcome of after a second look...

Chiefnj2 10-16-2017 11:25 AM

How can anyone be mad that Reid was aggressive and went for 7?

People kill him all prior years for being too conservative, settling for FG's, having no sense of urgency when trying to score, etc.

I love aggressive Andy.

ThaVirus 10-16-2017 11:26 AM

Let's talk about Harris's catch.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 13156295)
How can anyone be mad that Reid was aggressive and went for 7?

People kill him all prior years for being too conservative, settling for FG's, having no sense of urgency when trying to score, etc.

I love aggressive Andy.

There are times to be aggressive and times not to be. That simply was not one of them.

.. and the worst part, aside from possibly costing us this game, is it’ll likely make him more gun shy later on when it actually is smart to be aggressive.

gblowfish 10-16-2017 11:27 AM

If it's Brady to Gronk, it's a TD. Smith to Harris, not so much...

Amnorix 10-16-2017 11:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reerun_KC (Post 13155924)

Yeah, this is clearly, absolutely and unequivocably NOT the rule in the NFL.

Amnorix 10-16-2017 11:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 13155941)

He can't. Once the catch is complete, the play is a TD. if the catch isn't complete, then it's an incomplete pass.

Buckweath 10-16-2017 11:39 AM

Clearly not a catch in my view. Not even worth a challenge.

Amnorix 10-16-2017 11:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 13156129)
LMAO Oh, man. Honestly, I still think that's a TD.

As soon as that ball hits his hands, he has CONTROL of it. At that point, he just has to establish POSSESSION by getting both feet down, which he does when that right foot taps the ground. He clearly maintains possession throughout that catch.

The DB rips it out after what should have already been called a TD.

That's not the rule.

Let me change the situation -- let's say that play happened at the five yard line, and in the immediate aftermath of when you say the play is complete, the defender rips the ball out, which squirts away and another Steeler picks it up. Under your rules, that would be a fumble.

You ok with that?

Amnorix 10-16-2017 11:43 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13156200)
The more I watch it the more it looks like he does have possession and two feet down and it's in a controlled state

Yes, but not relevant if a half-second later the ball is ripped out. See my prior question about whether you'd be ok if it was ruled a catch/fumble if that exact sequence happens at, say, the 5 yard line and the ball is pulled out and "recovered" by the Steelers.

Eleazar 10-16-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nbarone007 (Post 13156290)
Not challenging this play is dumb. Its an extremely controversial play that you want the refs to determine the outcome of after a second look...

In a class Reid sequence of about four stupid decisions in a row, not taking the points ranks at the top, but not challenging this is #2, for sure.

I don't believe it was a catch, but with the randomness of officiating and the way the offense and defense had played all day, we had as good a chance of getting that call as we did of coming back and winning a game in which we were down by 2 scores late.

Even if you lose a time out, it would take a two-possession comeback to make that time out even potentially matter. The chance of losing that time out costing us the game was smaller than the chance of winning the challenge.

Reid more or less gambled the game with 10 minutes to go and at least 1 or 2 more possessions and a pocketful of time outs to work with.

Classic example of why he won't win the big one.

Amnorix 10-16-2017 11:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FishingRod (Post 13156281)
So is this correct? if it is ruled a score it gets automatically reviewed but if ruled not a score the coach has to challenge?

All scoring plays are automatically reviewed, as are turnovers and maybe certain other plays.

As it was not called a TD, yes, Andy would have had to have challenged to try to get it reversed.

Amnorix 10-16-2017 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 13156300)
If it's Brady to Gronk, it's a TD. Smith to Harris, not so much...

Not trying to be a dick, but honestly, that's not a TD by any ref under the NFL rules as in effect for the last, whatever, quite a few years now. If Megatron could get screwed by it, so would Gronk.

O.city 10-16-2017 11:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 13156334)
Yes, but not relevant if a half-second later the ball is ripped out. See my prior question about whether you'd be ok if it was ruled a catch/fumble if that exact sequence happens at, say, the 5 yard line and the ball is pulled out and "recovered" by the Steelers.

If he has 2 feet down and controlled the ball in the endzone the play is dead. You said so yourself

So yeah, had this happened in the field of play by that, it would be a fumble

But today's catch no catch rule is about as clear as mud

Amnorix 10-16-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13156366)
If he has 2 feet down and controlled the ball in the endzone the play is dead. You said so yourself

So yeah, had this happened in the field of play by that, it would be a fumble

But today's catch no catch rule is about as clear as mud

Agreed that the rule isn't easy to understand, explain or apply, but it definitely isn't just two feet down and control of the ball. You have to "complete the act" of the catch which includes "surviving the ground" if you go to the ground.

gblowfish 10-16-2017 11:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 13156344)
Not trying to be a dick, but honestly, that's not a TD by any ref under the NFL rules as in effect for the last, whatever, quite a few years now. If Megatron could get screwed by it, so would Gronk.

Not trying to be a dick either, but heaven forbid the Pats get any help from the refs.....

Like the tuck rule....

Warrick 10-16-2017 12:00 PM

Looks like a catch to me with a firm grasp of the ball all the way through & two feet down before being stripped. How long does a player need to hold onto the ball before someone can knock it out at any point?

ThaVirus 10-16-2017 12:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 13156379)
Agreed that the rule isn't easy to understand, explain or apply, but it definitely isn't just two feet down and control of the ball. You have to "complete the act" of the catch which includes "surviving the ground" if you go to the ground.

He didn’t go to the ground, though.

He caught the ball, established both feet (actually tapped three feet total), and never went to the ground.

Amnorix 10-16-2017 12:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 13156382)
Not trying to be a dick either, but heaven forbid the Pats get any help from the refs.....

Like the tuck rule....

That was a stupid ass rule. Glad they changed it. But it was correctly applied. Dumb ass rule though.

Almost as dumb as the dumb ass one the Pats got the benefit of yesterday from teh Jets (fumble through end zone awards possession to defense on "touchback").

11Chiefs 10-16-2017 12:08 PM

Two hands and two feet down with clear control in the end zone is and should be by rule a touchdown. It was controlled possession beyond the plane of the end zone... end of story.

LOL if it was really that simple... right!

O.city 10-16-2017 12:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 13156379)

Once you gain control of the ball, haven't you completed the act of the catch?

staylor26 10-16-2017 12:10 PM

I think the reason why some people aren’t seeing a catch is because of the many times we’ve seen a defender go to the ground and lose the ball. This is a different story as Harris never went to the ground. He completed the catch and had two feet down, then the defender yanked it out.

That’s a TD.

PutQuinnIn 10-16-2017 12:12 PM

Why did Alex throw to a man in triple coverage? Somebody had to be wide open.

O.city 10-16-2017 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 13156425)
I think the reason why some people aren’t seeing a catch is because of the many times we’ve seen a defender go to the ground and lose the ball. This is a different story as Harris never went to the ground. He completed the catch and had two feet down, then the defender yanked it out.

That’s a TD.

It can be interpreted that since the defender had his hands where he did, Harris never fully completed or controlled the ball

staylor26 10-16-2017 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13156427)
It can be interpreted that since the defender had his hands where he did, Harris never fully completed or controlled the ball

Eh maybe, but I disagree.