ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Sleep Paralysis (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=315458)

dlphg9 05-20-2018 10:16 AM

Sleep Paralysis

Has anyone suffered from this? Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't move and I tried to yell but nothing came out. It was the most terrifying experience of my life.

Hammock Parties 05-20-2018 10:21 AM

Yes but only mild.

Sleep paralysis is the explanation for why people believed in the succubus, demons, ghosts and today, alien abduction.

https://www.livescience.com/56422-sl...-cultures.html

Quote:

In certain parts of Brazil, for example, there are folkloric tales of a creature with long fingernails that lurks on people's rooftops during the night. The creature, called "Pisadeira," comes into a person's house and tramples on the chests of those who sleep, according to the review. [7 Mind-Bending Facts About Dreams]

Catalonia, a region in Spain, has the tale of the "Pesanta," a black animal, often a dog or a cat, that invades people's homes and sits on their chests while they are asleep, making it difficult to breathe and causing nightmares, the authors wrote.

In Newfoundland, Canada, it's the "Old Hag" that comes and sits on a sleeping person. And among an ethnic group in Vietnam and Laos, a "pressing spirit" sits on sleepers' chests and tries to asphyxiate them, the researchers found.

The idea of a weight holding someone down is also reflected in the terminology used in Mexico to describe sleep paralysis, according to the review. Translated from Spanish, the phrase means "a dead body climbed on top of me."

Some cultures use tales of spells cast by shamans or summoners to explain sleep paralysis.

lewdog 05-20-2018 10:21 AM

Only that time I was buried under that Hog I picked up from the bar last night.

/Billay

BucEyedPea 05-20-2018 10:27 AM

Never heard of it before. Sounds like paralysis from terror. Were you having a nightmare?

I talk and walk around asleep I am told, but I never remember it when I wake up. Once I rearranged furniture—no memory of that either. All my shoes on top of my lampshades and bureau trying to save them from some flood was one I remembered the next day. Another time, I had all by business paperwork shoved into my lingerie draw when my former loft-studio was above my home. How the heck I got up there in my sleep is a mystery to this day.

Jerok 05-20-2018 10:30 AM

I had it the first time in high school. I have a fear of the classic alien type grey creature. In my dream one walked in my classroom and turned and looked at me, I woke up, unable to move, scared shitless. After a minute or so I could move and I didn't know what happened, I didn't know if I had been abducted or what. I looked it up and was glad it was fairly common.

Now I've had it maybe 5 or 10 times total, most of which are waking up from a scary dream, and I'm not scared of it anymore, it's cool trying to move your arm but you can't. I don't get any of the 'dark figure sitting on me' things.

Simply Red 05-20-2018 11:17 AM

I've had it - but it's been many, many years. You should check out The Nightmare documentary on netflix - it'll help you get them under control.

dlphg9 05-20-2018 11:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Simply Red (Post 13562967)
I've had it - but it's been many, many years. You should check out The Nightmare documentary on netflix - it'll help you get them under control.

I believe it's the first or maybe second time it has happened. Absolutely horrible. I tried so hard to move it just wasn't happening. I'll have to check that out though!

dlphg9 05-20-2018 11:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 13562922)
Never heard of it before. Sounds like paralysis from terror. Were you having a nightmare?

I talk and walk around asleep I am told, but I never remember it when I wake up. Once I rearranged furniture—no memory of that either. All my shoes on top of my lampshades and bureau trying to save them from some flood was one I remembered the next day. Another time, I had all by business paperwork shoved into my lingerie draw when my former loft-studio was above my home. How the heck I got up there in my sleep is a mystery to this day.

Nope. I mean maybe I was and I just don't remember. Was just really scary.

Sofa King 05-20-2018 11:30 AM

It’s happened to me a few times during a nightmare, then I see someThing run across the room or the ceiling and i try to yell but can’t. Been a lot of years since one though.

JakeF 05-20-2018 11:54 AM

Are you sure it wasn't a dream right before waking up? Sounds terrifying

I wake up suddenly because I stop taking breaths. I will wake up with a gigantic gasp.

EPodolak 05-20-2018 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 13562909)
Has anyone suffered from this? Last night I woke up in the middle of the night and couldn't move and I tried to yell but nothing came out. It was the most terrifying experience of my life.

I’ve had this most of my life. Only happens rarely and mostly only when I’m asleep on my back. Still takes effort not to panic when it’s happening.

threebag 05-20-2018 11:58 AM

was Billay standing over top of you taunting?

Rasputin 05-20-2018 12:00 PM

I think when I had alcohol poisoning

dlphg9 05-20-2018 12:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 13563018)
was Billay standing over top of you taunting?

Billay doesn't come around ever since I beat the shit out of him

wazu 05-20-2018 12:21 PM

I've had it but it's been awhile. Sometimes wake up and can't move, but will hear some weird sound or see a light turn on in the hallway. My sister has terrifying bouts with it.

Fire Me Boy! 05-20-2018 12:22 PM

Am I the only person who loves nightmares? They’re the best scary movies ever.

Bugeater 05-20-2018 12:31 PM

It is extremely scary. I've had it happen here and there throughout my life, but about 10 years ago it all of sudden started happening to me almost every night. After a week or so of this going on, I did figure out what was causing it. I was on Hydrocodone at the time because of a pinched nerve in my neck, and it was happening whenever I took one of them right before I went to bed. Once I stopped doing that, it went away thankfully.

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-20-2018 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13563060)

I actually love having nightmares. Just last night my truck plunged into a river and I was upside down and couldn't get the electric windows to roll down. I reached for my buck knife I keep on my hip and then I woke up.

But yeah I've had those moments when you are kinda waking up , in twilight zone, and seem conscious but can't friggin move or have the sensation of someone holding you down.

Dante84 05-20-2018 01:07 PM

I’ve had that, and it is scary.

Can’t yell, can’t move, and even the swallow reflex doesn’t work so for a moment you feel like you’re going to drown in your own saliva. It’s not frozen out of fear, but it’s more like you just can’t get your body to work and that’s the terrifying part.

Chieficus 05-20-2018 01:07 PM

Yes. Used to terrify me, but as I've gotten older, I've learned to understand them and to know my triggers--like falling asleep with my fingers locked together--which has helped me to avoid them. Last one I had, I was able to mentally talk myself through it until I could move.

They're never fun.

JakeF 05-20-2018 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dante84 (Post 13563116)
I’ve had that, and it is scary.

Can’t yell, can’t move, and even the swallow reflex doesn’t work so for a moment you feel like you’re going to drown in your own saliva. It’s not frozen out of fear, but it’s more like you just can’t get your body to work and that’s the terrifying part.

Yikes. :eek:

Rasputin 05-20-2018 01:27 PM

Quote:

I don't care for feel like falling out of a plain or cliff and suddenly wake up

JD10367 05-20-2018 01:38 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Can't even shout.
Can't even cry.
The Gentlemen are coming by.
Looking in windows,
knocking on doors...
They need to take seven
and they might take yours...
Can't call to mom.
Can't say a word.
You're gonna die screaming
but you won't be heard.

-King- 05-20-2018 01:53 PM

It used to happen so often that I got used to it. I would coach myself through it as it happened.
Posted via Mobile Device

OKchiefs 05-20-2018 02:23 PM

I have them on occasion. I feel like I have to have a big exertion of force to wake myself out of it, so I have to push myself really hard to wake up. I always wake up sweating and in a terror. I don't really recall actually seeing anyone or anything in particular in these episodes that is threatening, but just the thought of not being able to move is terrifying.

Jewish Rabbi 05-20-2018 02:49 PM

Used to happen all the time when I would fall asleep on my old couch. Scary as hell until I figured out what was going on, then I’d realize what was happening and be able to go back to “normal” sleep. I was acutely aware of what was happening around me, if a baseball game was on TV I would know exactly what happened when I was “asleep.”

Thank god it really hasn’t happened since I’ve gotten a new couch.

Ming the Merciless 05-20-2018 02:58 PM

That happens to me when i take head from a lady

I freeze up at the moment i blow my load

I try to scream but nothing comes out

BWillie 05-20-2018 04:02 PM

Quote:

Aliens, brah. It was aliens. Hope your anal probe was fun.

Hog's Gone Fishin 05-20-2018 06:47 PM

do you think its an evil plot by God because he knows we have morning wood and wants us to keep our hands OFF.

R8RFAN 05-20-2018 07:15 PM

This scared me
https://i.imgur.com/OUcU2HR.jpg

Perineum Ripper 05-20-2018 07:24 PM

https://i.pinimg.com/236x/ee/3f/53/e...ill-obrien.jpg

Are you positive you weren’t out partying with this guy

Fire Me Boy! 05-20-2018 07:41 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...5a0f2edb0a.jpg

beach tribe 05-20-2018 08:15 PM

Quote:

Dude, sleep with a nicotine patch on.

Most epic nightmares ever!!

Hoopsdoc 05-20-2018 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 13563013)
Are you sure it wasn't a dream right before waking up? Sounds terrifying

I wake up suddenly because I stop taking breaths. I will wake up with a gigantic gasp.

That would be sleep apnea. You should probably have a sleep study done. I did and it helped me tremendously. Started getting much better sleep.

Fire Me Boy! 05-20-2018 08:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoopsdoc (Post 13563581)
That would be sleep apnea. You should probably have a sleep study done. I did and it helped me tremendously. Started getting much better sleep.

Agreed.

I never knew how tired I was until I wasn’t tired anymore.

RunKC 05-20-2018 08:33 PM

It happened a few times when I was a teenager. The first time was truly the worst bc I thought I was in a dream and I was frozen while someone broke into my house.
Once it was explained to me, it wasn’t near as bad bc I could kind of read my way through it and remember that it wasn’t dangerous.

Nowadays I struggle from sleep anxiety and that my friends, is a bitch.

Couch-Potato 05-20-2018 09:02 PM

a couple of times the next morning when I was very drunk. I would "dream" I was lying there in my bed trying to get up and go but couldn't move or talk, now I'm realizing this was sleep paralysis. Must hav been brought on by extreme exhaustion in my case.

B_Ambuehl 05-20-2018 09:43 PM

I had 2 of them within a span of about 10 minutes some 5 years ago. Only time it's ever happened and still not sure it was actual sleep paralysis. I was staying at my moms for the holidays in the guest bedroom. I was laying on my side, almost asleep, when my 17 yr old at the time nephew comes in ****ing around and sits on my torso. I couldn't see him, but he was the only one that would mess around like that, so I think to myself, "Get off me dammit!" Only I couldn't talk or turn my head. Finally I get enough strength to turn my head to look, and there's nobody there. I think to myself, "Damn that was weird!" So I try to go back asleep and within minutes it immediately happens AGAIN, someone sitting or pushing on my chest. This time I snap right out of it and got up and looked around. Nothing. Thing is, the first time it happened I was only partially asleep but the 2nd time it happened I wasn't even close to being asleep.

A couple of days later I'm at the kitchen table alone in the house messing around on the computer when I hear my nephew come in thru the garage door like he always did. He shuts the door and I hear him throw his bag down and walk up the stairs to his room. I never looked up from the computer. About 20 minutes after that I hear the door to the garage open again and in comes my nephew. I look right at him and say, "Didn't you come in like 20 minutes ago?" He says, "No I'm just getting here" I said, "Someone came in 20 minutes ago I distinctly heard the door shut and someone walking upstairs." We went up and looked and there was definitely nobody else in the house. Then he said, "This happens all the time in this house we always hear footsteps, ESPECIALLY in that guest bedroom." So the guest bedroom, the entire time I was there, was INCREDIBLY cold. I had to wear a jacket every night to sleep, even with the heater on. I started doing the math and putting 2+2 together, still not sure if I had sleep paralysis or if something was ****ing with me. It's the only time I've ever experienced anything like that.

Pasta Little Brioni 05-20-2018 10:23 PM

Ambuehl....It's a dark spirit. Please meet Simply, jimmya, chris666 and I at Lobb Cemetary Friday at midnight.

rabblerouser 05-21-2018 06:15 AM

http://https://media1.tenor.com/imag...itemid=5500893

http://https://media1.tenor.com/imag...temid=10549753

rabblerouser 05-21-2018 06:16 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl (Post 13563646)
I had 2 of them within a span of about 10 minutes some 5 years ago. Only time it's ever happened and still not sure it was actual sleep paralysis. I was staying at my moms for the holidays in the guest bedroom. I was laying on my side, almost asleep, when my 17 yr old at the time nephew comes in ****ing around and sits on my torso. I couldn't see him, but he was the only one that would mess around like that, so I think to myself, "Get off me dammit!" Only I couldn't talk or turn my head. Finally I get enough strength to turn my head to look, and there's nobody there. I think to myself, "Damn that was weird!" So I try to go back asleep and within minutes it immediately happens AGAIN, someone sitting or pushing on my chest. This time I snap right out of it and got up and looked around. Nothing. Thing is, the first time it happened I was only partially asleep but the 2nd time it happened I wasn't even close to being asleep.

A couple of days later I'm at the kitchen table alone in the house messing around on the computer when I hear my nephew come in thru the garage door like he always did. He shuts the door and I hear him throw his bag down and walk up the stairs to his room. I never looked up from the computer. About 20 minutes after that I hear the door to the garage open again and in comes my nephew. I look right at him and say, "Didn't you come in like 20 minutes ago?" He says, "No I'm just getting here" I said, "Someone came in 20 minutes ago I distinctly heard the door shut and someone walking upstairs." We went up and looked and there was definitely nobody else in the house. Then he said, "This happens all the time in this house we always hear footsteps, ESPECIALLY in that guest bedroom." So the guest bedroom, the entire time I was there, was INCREDIBLY cold. I had to wear a jacket every night to sleep, even with the heater on. I started doing the math and putting 2+2 together, still not sure if I had sleep paralysis or if something was ****ing with me. It's the only time I've ever experienced anything like that.

Um, don't sleep in that guest bedroom anymore.

Fish 05-21-2018 07:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13563594)
It happened a few times when I was a teenager. The first time was truly the worst bc I thought I was in a dream and I was frozen while someone broke into my house.
Once it was explained to me, it wasn’t near as bad bc I could kind of read my way through it and remember that it wasn’t dangerous.

Nowadays I struggle from sleep anxiety and that my friends, is a bitch.

My ex wife had that. Holy shit, what a mess. Huge strain on the marriage. I'm the type of person who's asleep about .2 seconds after my head hits the pillow. She on the other hand would sit there and worry and cry and get mad because I wouldn't stay awake with her. She would resent me for sleeping, and it was just the worst.

NewChief 05-21-2018 08:22 AM

As someone else said: check out the movie The Nightmare if you haven't already. Really fascinating and horrifying. I was kind of freaked out and worried I was going to experience sleep paralysis after watching the movie (kind of a ringu effect).

Eleazar 05-21-2018 08:48 AM

I've had it happen on a few occasions. Not a pleasant situation at all. Mostly in my late 20s, early 30s... hasn't happened in a long time

Lzen 05-21-2018 08:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rabblerouser (Post 13563735)
Um, don't sleep in that house anymore.

FYP

Lzen 05-21-2018 09:26 AM

I have had this happen on a few rare occasions over the years. It's usually when I'm in a deep sleep but trying to wake up out of it.

ToxSocks 05-21-2018 09:50 AM

Quote:

I'm with ya dude. Love nightmares. Don't like emotional dreams though. Then i wake up feeling stressed out.

xbarretx 05-21-2018 09:59 AM

Happened to me after Highschool.....horribly terrifying. I know exactly what happened to cause it and made sure to not repeat anything from that day.

rtmike 05-21-2018 10:09 AM

You’re shitting me. So all I gotta do is wake up?

bricks 05-21-2018 10:22 AM

I had an episode of sleep paralysis once and I know how it feels.

I hope it never happens to me again nor anyone else.

It feels like there is an evil spirit thats holding you down. You want to scream but you can’t, you try to move but you can’t. So here you are in bed, frozen, can’t do anything about it and you’re not exactly sleeping when this is happening either, you’re asleep and aware of how your body is paralyzed and just wondering how its happening and how to get out of what feels like a trap.

My mind was racing, freaking out at the time when it was happening. I didn’t know what to do? And then within a matter of seconds it went away and I was able to regain my mobility. It was a truly ****ed up experience.

Beef Supreme 05-21-2018 11:12 AM

I'm not saying it was aliens .....

But it was aliens.

Jewish Rabbi 05-21-2018 11:47 AM

Everyone always mentions the evil spirit thing. I’ve never had that happen to me.

dlphg9 07-06-2018 11:12 PM

Happened again 2 nights ago. This time it was a dream inside of a dream, unfortunately Leonardo DiCaprio wasn't there, would have been alot cooler.

GloucesterChief 07-06-2018 11:27 PM

Happens to back sleepers far more often than side or stomach sleepers.

Simply Red 07-06-2018 11:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by B_Ambuehl (Post 13563646)

I didn't have anything that bizarre happen lately - but I did have some seriously wicked almost asleep moments the night I'd watched Hereditary. I was in a weird state of consciousness just prior to sleeping and then I remember waking up from a dream in which some overlord was demanding I solve some sort of box of sorts, like a lock box - It was terrible and I woke up horrified - I felt like I almost died (mentally) - I'd wondered if I was holding my breath in the dream - it was super real - all of it - and come to find out Hereditary used real demons names in the movie. I won't **** w/ that movie ever again. And I love horror films.

Simply Red 07-06-2018 11:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by bricks (Post 13563899)
I had an episode of sleep paralysis once and I know how it feels.

I hope it never happens to me again nor anyone else.

It feels like there is an evil spirit thats holding you down. You want to scream but you can’t, you try to move but you can’t. So here you are in bed, frozen, can’t do anything about it and you’re not exactly sleeping when this is happening either, you’re asleep and aware of how your body is paralyzed and just wondering how its happening and how to get out of what feels like a trap.

My mind was racing, freaking out at the time when it was happening. I didn’t know what to do? And then within a matter of seconds it went away and I was able to regain my mobility. It was a truly ****ed up experience.

the one I had recently wasn't as much paralysis as it was a weird inbetween mental state - a mania (by definition) if you will...

Simply Red 07-06-2018 11:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rtmike (Post 13563888)
You’re shitting me. So all I gotta do is wake up?

nobody is taking anything for granted Mike - we all love you here - I think you sense that.

Simply Red 07-06-2018 11:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 13563667)
Ambuehl....It's a dark spirit. Please meet Simply, jimmya, chris666 and I at Lobb Cemetary Friday at midnight.

I will do this in September. I will - let me know - I'll be in Blue Springs at Dad's the Friday before the home opener.

Simply Red 07-06-2018 11:41 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/UYR3dorshwA" frameborder="0" allow="autoplay; encrypted-media" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445 07-07-2018 12:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 13618553)
Happened again 2 nights ago. This time it was a dream inside of a dream, unfortunately Leonardo DiCaprio wasn't there, would have been alot cooler.

Or at least that tiny spinner chick that was the architect.

SuperBowl4 07-07-2018 03:28 AM

You know you're getting old if you injure yourself sleeping

Chiefs4TheWin 07-07-2018 03:32 AM

I've had it happen maybe 4 times in my life. It sucks.

Baby Lee 07-07-2018 04:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13618572)

She doesn't spin, she scissors.

dlphg9 07-07-2018 08:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 13618572)

Fun fact, I've never actually watched Inception or Avatar.

Rausch 07-07-2018 08:28 AM

Quote:

I've suffered from it without the hallucinations/dreaming.

I've had moments where I was awake but couldn't move or talk and instantly was freaking out and everything slowly came back like when "your leg is asleep."

KChiefs1 07-07-2018 02:37 PM

Why people believe in ghosts.

Buehler445 07-07-2018 09:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 13618597)
She doesn't spin, she scissors.

Huh. That’s criminal to the race.

I’d take my shot at getting her back to straight.

OrtonsPiercedTaint 07-07-2018 11:23 PM

Maybe on the verge of a messy & embarrassing dream. DO NOT MOVE!

tooge 07-08-2018 12:46 AM

Is it the same as a nightmare? I take some over the counter all natural sleep shit maybe 3 times a week. It’s Lysine, melatonin, etc. I swear, when I take it I have more vivid dreams. Some suck ass and end in my wife waking me up because I was “screaming and moaning”. Those are usually scary as shit.
Anyhow, I know you dream in REM sleep, so I’m fine with it

Simply Red 07-08-2018 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tooge (Post 13619353)
Is it the same as a nightmare? I take some over the counter all natural sleep shit maybe 3 times a week. It’s Lysine, melatonin, etc. I swear, when I take it I have more vivid dreams. Some suck ass and end in my wife waking me up because I was “screaming and moaning”. Those are usually scary as shit.
Anyhow, I know you dream in REM sleep, so I’m fine with it

Melatonin doesn't play nicely with me - Benadryl works wonder if you give in an hour or so.

BigRedChief 07-08-2018 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 13618657)
I've suffered from it without the hallucinations/dreaming.

I've had moments where I was awake but couldn't move or talk and instantly was freaking out and everything slowly came back like when "your leg is asleep."

I use to perform and analyze sleep studies. Probably about 20% were people freaked out by having an episode of sleep paralysis.

Only had one happen while they were hooked up to all the monitoring leads. Nothing was there besides an increase in heart rate. Normal sinus rhythm. Breathing was normal. At the time(25 years ago) it was one of the few sleep studies to catch an episode while fully monitored.

Medicine had no idea why this was physiologically happening. I sure hope they have a better idea now.

BIG_DADDY 07-08-2018 12:06 PM

Quote:

Super cool. Your body is sleeping while you are awake. If you are on your back or right side and you try to roll to the left you can actually have your spirit leave your body. You will be floating over your body and you can do a lot from there. It’s a Monroe technique.

BIG_DADDY 07-08-2018 12:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13619421)
I use to perform and analyze sleep studies. Probably about 20% were people freaked out by having an episode of sleep paralysis.

Only had one happen while they were hooked up to all the monitoring leads. Nothing was there besides an increase in heart rate. Normal sinus rhythm. Breathing was normal. At the time(25 years ago) it was one of the few sleep studies to catch an episode while fully monitored.

Medicine had no idea why this was physiologically happening. I sure hope they have a better idea now.

Really. It’s not all that complicated there are people all over the world trying to induce that state of consciencenes. Medicine, LMFAO

Pick up the book Journeys out of the body by Robert Monroe. This is a very cool thing that could be a date with your own immortality. Then again you could go get some medicine with BRC.

Hog's Gone Fishin 07-08-2018 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BIG_DADDY (Post 13619543)
Super cool. Your body is sleeping while you are awake. If you are on your back or right side and you try to roll to the left you can actually have your spirit leave your body. You will be floating over your body and you can do a lot from there. It’s a Monroe technique.

Wut ????? I gotta try this!!!!

GloucesterChief 07-08-2018 01:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 13619589)

Basically, your brain is fully awake but your body is still in deep rem sleep.

BIG_DADDY 07-08-2018 03:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hog's Gone Fishin (Post 13619589)

It freaks you out the first time because when you float over your body you look dead. I thought I had died when I was a child. It used to happen all the time. My son has never experienced this but it was when I was about his age it started with me. I never really knew why it happened and didn't know exactly what it was until I read that book as an adult. I was raised in a very christian home and my mother made this whole experience even scarier than it was because of her beliefs.