ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Cardinals 2018 STL Cardinals Thread (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=312812)

BigRedChief 04-11-2018 06:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13512457)
Can't hit.

Gonna be a long season of watching Wong hit 8 homers and Carp flounder.

Meh.

Championship window swings open in 2019. :)

George Liquor 04-11-2018 09:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13512914)
Championship window swings open in 2019. :)

If they can meathead after this seasion I'll consider it a success.

BigRedChief 04-12-2018 05:24 PM

In MLB our Cardinals:

Leadoff/Fowler is batting 28th/32 teams

2nd/Pham is batting 17th/32 teams

3rd/Carp is batting 27th/32 teams

Matheny is still sticking with this same lineup. What’s the point? We have a known history with this lineup and players in those spots.

We know Carp does well in the leadoff position. If I’m remembering it right, Fowler did good last year batting 3rd. Am l missing some WAR #’s or something here?

Frazod 04-12-2018 06:09 PM

Mattheny would **** up the '27 Yankees. :banghead:

Pasta Little Brioni 04-12-2018 06:13 PM

That top three is an abomination in the current MLB state. Dan and Tim jerk to it every night though...

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-12-2018 06:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13514220)
In MLB our Cardinals:

Matheny is still sticking with this same lineup. What’s the point? We have a known history with this lineup and players in those spots.

We know Carp does well in the leadoff position. If I’m remembering it right, Fowler did good last year batting 3rd. Am l missing some WAR #’s or something here?

It's been 13 games.

BigRedChief 04-12-2018 06:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13514306)
It's been 13 games.

wasnt it months last year with Carp 3rd/Fowler lead?

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-12-2018 06:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13514315)
wasnt it months last year with Carp 3rd/Fowler lead?

I'm not going to argue that Carpenter doesn't have some kind of mental block about hitting anywhere other than leadoff, but I don't see it affecting anyone else.

Pham was the 9th best hitter in baseball last year. Better than Goldschmidt, Charlie Blackmon, and Kris Bryant. Second is the perfect place for him.

Considering that Carpenter, Pham, and Fowler all get on base at a very high clip, having them on in front of Ozuna makes a ton of sense. You can flip Carpenter and Fowler, but Molina, DeJong, and Wong at the bottom of the lineup all create some kind of issue.

In that last inning if you have the bases loaded and one out, DeJong is worrisome because he K's so much, which kills the rally, Molina is a GIDP machine, and Wong is really a #8 hitter.

Aside from switching Fowler and Carpenter, there just isn't much you can do. Unfortunately, there are times when multiple guys in your lineup are cold at the same time, which makes it hard to string together rallies, but that's baseball.

BigRedChief 04-12-2018 06:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 'Hamas' Jenkins (Post 13514332)
I'm not going to argue that Carpenter doesn't have some kind of mental block about hitting anywhere other than leadoff, but I don't see it affecting anyone else.

Pham was the 9th best hitter in baseball last year. Better than Goldschmidt, Charlie Blackmon, and Kris Bryant. Second is the perfect place for him.

Considering that Carpenter, Pham, and Fowler all get on base at a very high clip, having them on in front of Ozuna makes a ton of sense. You can flip Carpenter and Fowler, but Molina, DeJong, and Wong at the bottom of the lineup all create some kind of issue.

In that last inning if you have the bases loaded and one out, DeJong is worrisome because he K's so much, which kills the rally, Molina is a GIDP machine, and Wong is really a #8 hitter.

Aside from switching Fowler and Carpenter, there just isn't much you can do. Unfortunately, there are times when multiple guys in your lineup are cold at the same time, which makes it hard to string together rallies, but that's baseball.

l don’t have an issue with Matheny lineup other than Carp batting leadoff. Fowler at this time, would be the best candidate to hit 3rd. It is what it is.

jd1020 04-12-2018 06:47 PM

Quote:

In MLB our Cardinals:

Bro... Maddon stuck with Schwarber at leadoff for damn near half a season. This isn't just a Matheny thing. Carpenter and Fowler will hit, not convinced Pham will, at least not close to his 2017 numbers.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-12-2018 06:51 PM

How the **** did he get thrown out? No one other than Molina should get thrown out there.

Marcellus 04-12-2018 07:02 PM

Carpenter strikes out with one out and the bases loaded watching strike 3 go straight down the middle of the plate.

The guy would rather try to work a walk than swing the bat. Maybe that's why he is better at lead off than the 3 hole.

Marcellus 04-12-2018 07:04 PM

Yadi smashed the **** out of that.

Early season Yadi is a hell of a hitter until catching wears his power down.

Mi_chief_fan 04-12-2018 08:07 PM

I didn't realize how bad the Reds are.

Marcellus 04-12-2018 08:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 13514498)

They real bad.

BigRedChief 04-12-2018 09:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mi_chief_fan (Post 13514498)

they chose this. They wanted to be at the top of the draft as their rebuild model. **** them. Purposely lose for draft position. Yet you want fans to pay full price for tickets when you want to lose?

Pasta Little Brioni 04-12-2018 09:47 PM

Jose Studtinez

BigRedChief 04-12-2018 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 13514668)
Jose Studtinez

why the **** is he playing?
/Rams Fan

BigRedChief 04-12-2018 10:05 PM

Flaherty has a top shelf girlfriend. Yowza.

https://instagram.com/p/BRhbz1IAvpC/

Miles 04-12-2018 10:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13514663)
they chose this. They wanted to be at the top of the draft as their rebuild model. **** them. Purposely lose for draft position. Yet you want fans to pay full price for tickets when you want to lose?

Seems to have worked well when Houston bottomed out for a couple of years so could see some more copycats.

BigRedChief 04-12-2018 10:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 13514701)
Seems to have worked well when Houston bottomed out for a couple of years so could see some more copycats.

Cubs and Royals too. Wasn’t really dissing the plan but that they expect fans to pay full price when they are not even trying right now.

'Hamas' Jenkins 04-12-2018 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13514704)
Cubs and Royals too. Wasn’t really dissing the plan but that they expect fans to pay full price when they are not even trying right now.

The Royals didn't purposefully tank. They were just incompetent.

George Liquor 04-12-2018 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13514704)

How expensive is a game at Great American Ballpark? Can't be that much?

Girlfriend wants to go to Cincinnati sometime before too long.

scho63 04-13-2018 12:33 AM

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/04..._1024x1024.jpg

VAChief 04-13-2018 06:17 AM

Quote:

In MLB our Cardinals:

Because it is still early, and Fowler batting lead off is probably our highest ceiling if everyone hits their norms. They both are in a slump, and Pham is pressing a bit between them, though not even close to the degree Carpenter and Fowler were hurting us. Between the two Carp worries more than Fowler, his best position right now is probably 2b. If Gyorko comes back hitting bombs and playing great D, you have to think about moving Carp back to 2B unless Wong gets his head out of his ass finally and realizes he should be a line drive spray hitter.

Rams Fan 04-13-2018 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13514684)
why the **** is he playing?
/Rams Fan

He's a defensive liability who is better suited for the AL.

Jewish Rabbi 04-13-2018 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 13514810)

He’s hitting .340 since last years All Star break, 3rd highest in baseball behind Altuve and Blackmon. He is in your lineup every day until he stops hitting, defensive liability or not.

scho63 04-13-2018 07:07 AM

Why did the Cards really do nothing in the offseason? Do they have payroll issues?

What kind of a farm system do you guys have? Never really hear much about the Cards having good young players that have come up through the ranks. Am I mistaken?

We have a LOT of young talent on our team this year but still think our bullpen is going to fail us much more than save us. Still too early to tell but they look a little weak.

Marcellus 04-13-2018 07:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 13514851)
Why did the Cards really do nothing in the offseason? Do they have payroll issues?

What kind of a farm system do you guys have? Never really hear much about the Cards having good young players that have come up through the ranks. Am I mistaken?

We have a LOT of young talent on our team this year but still think our bullpen is going to fail us much more than save us. Still too early to tell but they look a little weak.

I wouldn't say they did "nothing". Maybe nothing earth shattering though they tried pretty hard to get Stanton.

On top of trading for Ozuna they traded away 1/3rd of the starting team from last year in Grichik, Piscotti, & Diaz, and they dumped Mike Leake.

They are going with their young guys and trying to keep some payroll flexibility for a big move if they can make it happen IMO.

VAChief 04-13-2018 07:43 AM

Quote:

He is still new at the position. He looks awkward at times, but good lord you find a place for a guy who is getting on base at better than a .440 clip and slugging over .600! Even Meathead can't screw up that decision.

O.city 04-13-2018 07:50 AM

He’s a defensive liability at first base. That’s not a big deal

scho63 04-13-2018 07:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13514878)
I wouldn't say they did "nothing". Maybe nothing earth shattering though they tried pretty hard to get Stanton.

On top of trading for Ozuna they traded away 1/3rd of the starting team from last year in Grichik, Piscotti, & Diaz, and they dumped Mike Leake.

They are going with their young guys and trying to keep some payroll flexibility for a big move if they can make it happen IMO.

Didn't realize that. They get little national press. :shake:

BigRedChief 04-13-2018 08:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 13514851)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13514878)

This.

Getting rid of under-performing players = Addition of better players. Thats not usually a move they make. And then adding an All-Star clean up hitter cant be construed as "nothing".

Scho, its all about next year when we can start to realisrically challenge the Cubs for the division and win playoff games.

Main reason, our top shelf young cost controlled quality starting pitching arrive in the major leagues. Possible starters....

Martinez
Reyes
Weaver
Flaherty
Hudson
Hicks

And there are several other pitching prospects in the minors projecting to the major leagues in the next 2-4 years.

We also have several outfielders that are getting close that could be a part of a trade. Best catching prospect in baseball thats expendable. Wacha. And one of our young pitchers to help get some more offense to make a run in the playoffs again.

O.city 04-13-2018 08:26 AM

Tinstapp

DJ's left nut 04-13-2018 09:11 AM

Sign up for The Athletic. Go on Twitter and find a discount link or something; it's around $25 for a year subscription and it's a steal.

Bernie wrote an incredible article today that may well be worth the cost for the year alone. I'm not a Bernie fan, but it's a truly outstanding piece contrasting the Cards attitude with the 'peak TLR' squads and how that's played a role in their decline, especially at home. Really good quotes from TLR, a current player and Berkman.

Here's a small snippet from it:

Quote:

I spoke with a veteran National League player who requested anonymity because his team will face the Cardinals multiple times this season. The Cardinals are a respectable team, he said. But not an intimidating one. He recalled going into Busch Stadium for the usual three-game series, and always thinking his team would be fortunate to get out with one victory. The St. Louis fans were nice, he said. But the Cardinals were scary.

Scary?

The player laughed and cited Tony La Russa and his ability to mess up opposing managers and players with his relentless gamesmanship. The player cited Albert Pujols, Yadier Molina, Chris Carpenter and other intensely wound Cardinals — and how they always seemed to be on the verge of snapping.

The player said, “This is intended as a big-time compliment, but Tony La Russa was psycho, and a lot of his players were the same way. Tony would be standing at the edge of the dugout, wearing those sunglasses during night games, and (pitching coach) Dave Duncan was always by his side. And those guys just looked dangerous … you knew they were up to something. La Russa and Duncan were badasses. They would do anything to win a game, and it was draining to compete against them. It isn’t fair to Matheny, but it just isn’t the same way now.”
https://theathletic.com/312461/2018/...eld-advantage/

Rany has a great piece up as well for folks that keep an eye on the Royals. It's just outstanding sportswriting and well worth it. If you hate to see places like ESPN and Yahoo Sports with their 'pivot to video' philosophy, throw a few bucks at The Athletic and see what you can do to keep great sportswriting alive. Pretty much every baseball writer worth a shit is there now anyway and if you combine their content with Birdsontheblack.com, a relatively new Cardinals blog, you really don't need to go anywhere else.

O.city 04-13-2018 09:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13515017)
Sign up for The Athletic. Go on Twitter and find a discount link or something; it's around $25 for a year subscription and it's a steal.

Bernie wrote an incredible article today that may well be worth the cost for the year alone. I'm not a Bernie fan, but it's a truly outstanding piece contrasting the Cards attitude with the 'peak TLR' squads and how that's played a role in their decline, especially at home. Really good quotes from TLR, a current player and Berkman.

Rany has a great piece up as well for folks that keep an eye on the Royals. It's just outstanding sportswriting and well worth it. If you hate to see places like ESPN and Yahoo Sports with their 'pivot to video' philosophy, throw a few bucks at The Athletic and see what you can do to keep great sportswriting alive. Pretty much every baseball writer worth a shit is there now anyway and if you combine their content with Birdsontheblack.com, a relatively new Cardinals blog, you really don't need to go anywhere else.

Thanks appreciate it.

And also, where the hell you been?

DJ's left nut 04-13-2018 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 13515037)
Thanks appreciate it.

And also, where the hell you been?

{shrug}

Kinda already said most of what I have to say I guess. I'm not sure how Clay has managed 100K posts; mindless repetition will do that I suppose.

I suspect the world will keep spinning either way...

O.city 04-13-2018 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 13515055)
{shrug}

Kinda already said most of what I have to say I guess. I'm not sure how Clay has managed 100K posts; mindless repetition will do that I suppose.

I suspect the world will keep spinning either way...

We're getting ready to start a season with the messiah at QB, been a crazy offseason, the Cardinals are sucking and you're no where to be seen.

Plus the mock draft has drug on.

dude

O.city 04-13-2018 09:56 AM

So this thread is as good as any so I royally pissed of a PITA patient of mine yesterday

I was polishing a temporary crown and getting ready to cement it and she turned around and said "man I really hate the dentist, you know?"

I looked up and said " well, he doesn't really care for you either" and chuckled a little.

She wasn't happy.

Marcellus 04-13-2018 10:42 AM

Quote:

Just did, thanks for the info.

VAChief 04-13-2018 12:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13514940)
This.

Getting rid of under-performing players = Addition of better players. Thats not usually a move they make. And then adding an All-Star clean up hitter cant be construed as "nothing".

Scho, its all about next year when we can start to realisrically challenge the Cubs for the division and win playoff games.

Main reason, our top shelf young cost controlled quality starting pitching arrive in the major leagues. Possible starters....

Martinez
Reyes
Weaver
Flaherty
Hudson
Hicks

And there are several other pitching prospects in the minors projecting to the major leagues in the next 2-4 years.

We also have several outfielders that are getting close that could be a part of a trade. Best catching prospect in baseball thats expendable. Wacha. And one of our young pitchers to help get some more offense to make a run in the playoffs again.

I think you will see Gant in the rotation before Hudson. I hope he surprises me, but I think he is a bullpen guy.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-13-2018 12:42 PM

Quote:

JFC The guy is a monster.

Jewish Rabbi 04-13-2018 05:46 PM

JOSE MARTINEZ SUCKS SO BAD TWO AT BATS AND ONLY TWO SINGLES WHAT A BUM

BigRedChief 04-13-2018 05:48 PM

Quote:

thanks for the lead on the info.

You should hang more often. Your the man with the stats and player backgrounds and history. We are going with all these young players soon. Everyone here appreciated your informative posts.:clap:

Marcellus 04-13-2018 05:50 PM

Good God Wong shit the bed there.

kcpasco 04-13-2018 05:51 PM

Cards could have hit into 3 double plays that inning. That’s kinda funny if it wasn’t so sad

kcpasco 04-13-2018 05:54 PM

Love Jose but damn he needs to learn to stretch as a 1st baseman.

kcpasco 04-13-2018 06:13 PM

Can we just play the Reds the rest of the year. Damn they are bad.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-13-2018 06:35 PM

Reds are an abomination

Marcellus 04-13-2018 06:36 PM

Cards are still the dumbest base runners in baseball.

Marcellus 04-13-2018 07:15 PM

WTF is Matheny doing putting in Leone here?

Pasta Little Brioni 04-13-2018 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Marcellus (Post 13515908)
Cards are still the dumbest base runners in baseball.

Votto says hold my chew...

Marcellus 04-13-2018 07:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 13516013)
Votto says hold my chew...

Heh yea that was dumb as ****. Not as dumb as Wong getting picked off in the 9th inning of game 6 of the WS but still dumb.

Pasta Little Brioni 04-13-2018 08:02 PM

"Cy" Norris with the save.

Marcellus 04-13-2018 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 13516076)
"Cy" Norris with the save.

He just needed to pitch against or for the Cardinals apparently.

BigRedChief 04-13-2018 09:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 13515867)

you just can’t lose to the Reds this year. Any loss is a bad loss to that team.

George Liquor 04-13-2018 09:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcpasco (Post 13515867)

A trip to Great American Smallpark will cure what ails you.

BigRedChief 04-14-2018 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 13516306)
A trip to Great American Smallpark wilm cure what ails you.

Matheny throws out our “C” offensive line up against the Reds and we are still up 5 runs in the 5th. That’s how bad the Reds are.

George Liquor 04-14-2018 01:46 PM

Sucks that Ozuna's streak ended.

Also, can't we do better than Munoz? Yikes, he is bad.

BigRedChief 04-14-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 13516950)
Sucks that Ozuna's streak ended.

Also, can't we do better than Munoz? Yikes, he is bad.

He had a good spring training. I saw him in a minor league game hit 2 home runs in an inning. In batting practice, l watched him hit at least 10 home runs including 2 that left that whole park.

It was practice and spring training but he looked damn good the only time I’ve seen him in person. :hmmm:

George Liquor 04-14-2018 03:53 PM

Good god Atlanta, way to shit the bed.

jd1020 04-14-2018 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 13517082)

10 walks.

Frazod 04-14-2018 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 13517082)

Heh. My Braves fan wife is at Wrigley freezing her ass off watching this with one of her friends.

Thank God I dodged that bullet. :D

jd1020 04-14-2018 03:57 PM

Wow.

jd1020 04-14-2018 03:59 PM

Go into the 8th down 10-5, leave with your closer coming into the 9th with the lead and not even a save opportunity. Cubs only had 3 hits and scored 9 runs. Thanks, Braves.

George Liquor 04-14-2018 04:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13517086)
Heh. My Braves fan wife is at Wrigley freezing her ass off watching this with one of her friends.

Thank God I dodged that bullet. :D

I had a bunch of friends go too, they left in the 3rd to hit Murphy's Bleachers.

BigRedChief 04-15-2018 08:18 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Congrats to Yadier Molina on passing me on the All-Time Innings Caught list, soon to be games. Crazy to be reminded it was 14,493 innings behind the plate. No wonder I had my hips replaced.</p>&mdash; Johnny Bench (@JohnnyBench_5) <a href="https://twitter.com/JohnnyBench_5/status/985283536436547584?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 14, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Frazod 04-15-2018 11:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13517598)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Congrats to Yadier Molina on passing me on the All-Time Innings Caught list, soon to be games. Crazy to be reminded it was 14,493 innings behind the plate. No wonder I had my hips replaced.</p>&mdash; Johnny Bench (@JohnnyBench_5) <a href="https://twitter.com/JohnnyBench_5/status/985283536436547584?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 14, 2018</a></blockquote>
<script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Something else for Yadi to look forward to other than Cooperstown. :D

George Liquor 04-15-2018 01:56 PM

This game looks miserable.

BigRedChief 04-15-2018 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BDj23 (Post 13517993)
This game looks miserable.

looks like they have about 50 people in the stands.

Frazod 04-15-2018 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13517998)
looks like they have about 50 people in the stands.

I heard the White Sox home opener had less than a thousand actually show up.

The weather sucks balls up here this month.

And before you tell us all how nice it is in Florida.... 4321

BigRedChief 04-15-2018 02:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 13518011)
I heard the White Sox home opener had less than a thousand actually show up.

The weather sucks balls up here this month.

And before you tell us all how nice it is in Florida.... 4321

actually this afternoon we had a bunch of storms pass through. Had tornado warnings out and rotations spotted in clouds. Had to go out in the rain and secure the cover for my Davit motor.

George Liquor 04-15-2018 02:52 PM

Bader got a jump on that one like me in my beer league softball lol

Not complaining, it just made me laugh

Frazod 04-15-2018 02:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13518049)
actually this afternoon we had a bunch of storms pass through. Had tornado warnings out and rotations spotted in clouds. Had to go out in the rain and secure the cover for my Davit motor.

That actually makes me feel a bit better. Thanks! :D

George Liquor 04-15-2018 02:58 PM

Good thing we miss Hugh Darvish this week.

Chief Roundup 04-15-2018 04:28 PM

That is a sweep.

BigRedChief 04-15-2018 04:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chief Roundup (Post 13518135)
That is a sweep.

almost blew another brilliant start by Martinez. 7 innings/0 ER/2 hits/10 strikeouts

I heard Matheny talking about working in Holland. Trying to find him spots to pitch. I don’t understand why they brought up Holland if he wasn’t ready. Why not let him stay down there until he was ready?

Jewish Rabbi 04-15-2018 04:57 PM

Better get someone ready quick because Norris sure as hell isnt a long term solution.

VAChief 04-16-2018 06:38 AM

Carpenter does not look healthy. He doesn't seem either willing (or able) to go with any pitch away and the shift is killing him. His arm is atrocious. I like that he is still patient, but he looks relieved to take a walk. Lead off is not the answer. I know it is drastic but I would drop him down in the lineup and let him sit more until he proves he can produce. Let Gyorko play third. Keep Fowler hitting leadoff, followed by Pham, Ozuna, Martinez, Molina, DeJung, and Wong/Carpenter.

We can't afford Carpenter at 3rd on an everyday basis and you can't take significan at bats away from Martinez. Best fit for him is 2b where he is also a defensive liability, and at least right now not even an offensive upgrade there either.

We missed our chance to collect big on him in the off season.

BigRedChief 04-16-2018 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VaChief (Post 13518707)
I know it is drastic but I would drop him down in the lineup and let him sit more until he proves he can produce. Let Gyorko play third. Keep Fowler hitting leadoff, followed by Pham, Ozuna, Martinez, Molina, DeJung, and Wong/Carpenter.

Not a chance of Carp batting 7/8.
Quote:

Originally Posted by VAChief (Post 13518707)
Carpenter does not look healthy. He doesn't seem either willing (or able) to go with any pitch away and the shift is killing him.

His back may be hurting more than he and the team are letting on. If thats true, that means its not going to get better.
Quote:

We can't afford Carpenter at 3rd on an everyday basis and you can't take significan at bats away from Martinez. Best fit for him is 2b where he is also a defensive liability, and at least right now not even an offensive upgrade there either.

How many plays a year does an "arm" make a difference at 3B? Usually the best at 3B are the best because they gloved a ball or got to one that others couldn't. But, thats still not his strength.
Quote:

We missed our chance to collect big on him in the off season.

I dont know if he had "big" value but he had some. He needs to bat leadoff tonight. We dont need stats or WAR. We all can see it, for whatever reason, if you put Carp at leadoff he will give you a season of .285/12/70 and a OPS of near .400. We have enough data. We have seen enough. You want that line, put him in the leadoff spot.

We need a #3 hitter. 3B is the obvious spot unless as part of the trade we open up a spot or get a SS and slide DeJong over to 3B.

With our young pitching and a solid #3 hitter we can beat the Cubs and win playoff games.