ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=293234)

In58men 07-05-2017 10:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12944257)
2 suggestions:

1) Wrap it in butcher paper rather than aluminum foil. It's a happy medium between wrapped and foil. Foil allows no moisture out so you end up with a super soft bark. Obviously unwrapped is just the opposite; slower cooking time and can dry out the outside a bit. Get yourself a big cheap roll of butcher paper and next time wrap it in butcher paper. Lets a little moisture out (especially early) and when it saturates is about when you have lost as much moisture as you want to, so it slows the moisture loss down a lot but doesn't make the meat spongy.

2) Heat for your last hour. You appear to have forgotten the last part of the Texas Crutch - goose your heat to about 325-350 and try to get at least a 30-45 minute 'finishing' cook. Give it a spray with some apple juice for a few more sugars to carmelize and form the crust. For some applications you may want to try putting a coating of Tiger Sauce on it before wrapping it; excellent flavor and a nice little spot for the bark to adhere to.

145 degrees. Once you hit an internal temp of 145, meat's done taking smoke.

Just get a Maverick. Solid, reliable and you can get a dual probe for $70 (a single for like $40). Calibrate it in a pot of boiling water and it'll be good enough for a 'watch'. Then you use a good Thermopen to make your final read.

Yeah, a WSM is bulletproof but I think too many people underestimate the difference the waterpan can make. That big ol' heat sync in there makes it stupid easy to hold 225-250 for hours. And if you want it hotter, fill the pan with sand instead of water. Or if you want it hotter still, empty the pan outright. If someone can't get a WSM to work right, they should probably just give up.

Have you ever tried unwrapped? I'll get some butchers paper soon.

https://youtu.be/s9yshoZKvtc

DJ's left nut 07-05-2017 01:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12944362)
Have you ever tried unwrapped? I'll get some butchers paper soon.

https://youtu.be/s9yshoZKvtc

I have, but some time ago before I learned some of the mistakes I'd been making. I used to feel like it made them too acrid but it was probably more that I didn't have enough circulation/ventilation.

Now it's just my habit to wrap if for no other reason than to reduce cooking time a bit. I'd try it again on someone else's dime but I know my present method works damn well and don't want to mess around with it.

In58men 07-05-2017 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12944543)
I have, but some time ago before I learned some of the mistakes I'd been making. I used to feel like it made them too acrid but it was probably more that I didn't have enough circulation/ventilation.

Now it's just my habit to wrap if for no other reason than to reduce cooking time a bit. I'd try it again on someone else's dime but I know my present method works damn well and don't want to mess around with it.

Thanks brother, I will definitely take your advice. I'm using a WSM, which grate do you think I should use? Top or bottom?

DJ's left nut 07-05-2017 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12944554)
Thanks brother, I will definitely take your advice. I'm using a WSM, which grate do you think I should use? Top or bottom?

Bottom makes me nervous because of the proximity to the water pan. That's not to say you can't do it - it's just to say that I avoid it. I'm sure others disagree but that water pan does reach a boil and that steam so close to the meat will interfere with the bark (and I get worried about it stewing the meat more than smoking it).

Another thought I had as I finished that video is that what those tasters really liked about the uncovered method was the 'intense smokey flavor'. And that's fine, many people want a smoke bomb. Additionally, he was using a very mild wood in pecan so perhaps Hickory would give that stronger flavor as well. Personally I make mine very 'memphis style' and while I like the smoke flavor, I don't want it to overwhelm the meat or the rub. It all needs to be complementary.

If you like the very smokey taste, you're probably a fan of mesquite wood and that uncovered method would be right up your alley. It's just not my preference. I tend to stick with apple/pecan/cherry/oak mixes of some sort and try not to be overwhelming with the smoke flavor. So perhaps that's why your presenter and I just aren't quite on the same page.

One of these days I'll have to do my own side by side just to see if my theory is sound, but I'm betting that's part of it.

gblowfish 07-05-2017 02:39 PM

Woods like mesquite and hickory can give the meat a harsh flavor if overdone. I like to cut the mix of wood about 75% to 25% apple wood to hickory. I think that's a good blend. Meat will only hold so much smoke flavor. Once you have most meats in a Weber smoker, after about two or three hours, that's all the smoke the meat is going to hold anyway.

gblowfish 07-05-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12944554)

On mine, I try to put as much meat on the top rack as possible. I have a little iron BBQ bean pot that i put on the bottom rack. That works really well. Adds hickory smoke flavor to the beans....and doesn't burn them.

Fire Me Boy! 07-05-2017 02:43 PM

What are you Smoking/Grilling/BBQ'ing this weekend?

What I've learned today is that DJ is definitely a top, and Inmem is possibly versatile.

In58men 07-05-2017 02:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12944640)
Bottom makes me nervous because of the proximity to the water pan. That's not to say you can't do it - it's just to say that I avoid it. I'm sure others disagree but that water pan does reach a boil and that steam so close to the meat will interfere with the bark (and I get worried about it stewing the meat more than smoking it).

Another thought I had as I finished that video is that what those tasters really liked about the uncovered method was the 'intense smokey flavor'. And that's fine, many people want a smoke bomb. Additionally, he was using a very mild wood in pecan so perhaps Hickory would give that stronger flavor as well. Personally I make mine very 'memphis style' and while I like the smoke flavor, I don't want it to overwhelm the meat or the rub. It all needs to be complementary.

If you like the very smokey taste, you're probably a fan of mesquite wood and that uncovered method would be right up your alley. It's just not my preference. I tend to stick with apple/pecan/cherry/oak mixes of some sort and try not to be overwhelming with the smoke flavor. So perhaps that's why your presenter and I just aren't quite on the same page.

One of these days I'll have to do my own side by side just to see if my theory is sound, but I'm betting that's part of it.

Hard to disagree with anything you said. Thanks for the advice, I was a little on the sketchy side about using that bottom grate as well. The thought of the brisket being so close to the steam just didn't sit well with me. I only tried two flats, first one was complete shit and the second one was tender, but no bark whatsoever. The flavor was just okay, have there been bark it could have tasted a lot better. I'll take your advice on my next one. I'm done with the flats, going to smoke the whole packer next.

DJ's left nut 07-05-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by gblowfish (Post 12944656)
Woods like mesquite and hickory can give the meat a harsh flavor if overdone. I like to cut the mix of wood about 75% to 25% apple wood to hickory. I think that's a good blend. Meat will only hold so much smoke flavor. Once you have most meats in a Weber smoker, after about two or three hours, that's all the smoke the meat is going to hold anyway.

I learned in my late 20s that I just don't like mesquite.

Many do but I immediately recoil from it. Just not something I'm a fan of.

Hickory as a mix is easily as stout as I'll go.

gblowfish 07-05-2017 02:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12944676)
I learned in my late 20s that I just don't like mesquite.

Many do but I immediately recoil from it. Just not something I'm a fan of.

Hickory as a mix is easily as stout as I'll go.

Yep, a little will go a long way. When people start doing meat smoking, they tend to think they need to get giant clouds of smoke billowing from the smoker. Not so. It's not about smoke, its about holding temperature. And the smoke from oak or fruit wood is must more palatable on most BBQ meats. I don't use mesquite at all. I have used pecan, and still use hickory, but only if I cut it with apple, peach or cherry wood.

gblowfish 07-05-2017 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 12943368)
Shrimp, andouille sausage, corn on the cob, zucchini, red bell pepper, all tossed in olive oil, Old Bay seasoning, pepper and garlic salt and grilled in foil packets.

Quick, easy and delicious!

I haven't done that in a long time. It is quick and easy. Old Bay is one of my go to seasonings. I use it on a lot of stuff, including as part of my BBQ dry rub.

DJ's left nut 07-05-2017 02:58 PM

So perhaps this is better used in the 'what's for dinner' thread, but did anyone realize that Louisiana Fish Fry sells a completely unflavored version?

Our Tuesday meal was a fish fry; we caught enough bass for 3 filets per person and I had my trusty old bass pro batterer out there (love that thing). As a group we'd picked the menu and one person ordered everything online for pickup. Well evidently they ordered this unflavored fish fry which is literally nothing but white flour and a tiny bit of cornmeal in a bag. It's 7 cents worth of ingredients that they charge far more than that for.

So I dump it in the batterer, look at it, give it a taste, check the ingredients and realize there's just not jack or shit there. Would've killed for some old bay but again - foreign pantry - just didn't have any. Salt, pepper, granulated garlic, cumin and cayenne mixed to taste managed to salvage it. But I couldn't get it quite where I wanted it so instead of an egg wash, I dredged it in Ranch dressing.

I figure an egg wash is just an emulsion to get stuff to stick....well ranch is nothing but an emulsion with stuff in it. It actually turned out DAMN good. So if you're frying stuff up and think it's just a bit on the bland side, try ranch as your 'egg wash' - works really well.

RedandGold 07-05-2017 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12944640)

If you've had the WSM for a while, and have a good hold on the air control aspect, just empty the water pan and cover it with foil. You don't lose anything in terms of the end result, makes cleanup a breeze (just wrap up the rendered fat and pitch it), and you don't have to worry about steam or any other negative water-related issues. Some like filling the pan with sand, but there isn't any discernible benefit versus going empty.

Give it a shot, and I doubt you'll go back.

I also agree about the wood mix. I prefer cherry and apple as a primary (sometimes peach), and mix in hickory or pecan in roughly a 3:1 ratio of fruit to hardwood. I never waste my time with mesquite.

srvy 07-05-2017 07:36 PM

I hardly ever use water in the WSM I have used lava rock, play sand and now those fake Briquettes rock you can wash and reuse over and over. If you havent learned to use the vents to control fire yet then yes by all means water in the pan. For beef I think hickory is the perfect wood but to each there own on this one.

In58men 07-06-2017 09:07 AM

Gotta listen to those with experience. She's on her way. Next is a nice slicing knife, I like the Victorinox with a 14" blade.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...984d5d6a82.png

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

RedandGold 07-06-2017 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12945821)
Gotta listen to those with experience. She's on her way. Next is a nice slicing knife, I like the Victorinox with a 14" blade.

Good choice on the Maverick, and the Victorinox slicing knife is perfect for brisket. I have the 12" blade, and would recommend it to anyone.

If you don't already have a good boning knife, go with the Victorinox there as well. It's a must-have for trimming, and one heck of a value.

GloryDayz 07-06-2017 10:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12945821)

That puppy will get you the sex for sure..

In58men 07-07-2017 04:42 PM

Gonna slap this bad boy on the smoker around 1 AM. 10.5 lb bone-in pork shoulder

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...3e0d65ad5c.jpg

Wanna see my wood?

RedandGold 07-07-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12947518)
Gonna slap this bad boy on the smoker around 1 AM. 10.5 lb bone-in pork shoulder

Wanna see my wood?

:thumb:

Nickhead 07-07-2017 10:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12947518)

Wanna see my wood?

cherry rules!!! i've got enough cherry for my next hundred smokes :D

In58men 07-07-2017 11:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 12947937)
cherry rules!!! i've got enough cherry for my next hundred smokes :D

It's definitely my favorite wood.

In58men 07-08-2017 01:18 AM

This Maverick is interesting, it's reading 35 hotter (grate temp) than my built-in lid thermometer.

Fire Me Boy! 07-08-2017 04:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12947992)
This Maverick is interesting, it's reading 35 hotter (grate temp) than my built-in lid thermometer.

Those grill thermometers are notoriously inaccurate.

In58men 07-08-2017 07:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12948005)
Those grill thermometers are notoriously inaccurate.

I should have bought one a long time ago. I put the pork shoulder on at midnight and maintained 240 grill temp the entire night. I'm digging the alarms it sends if grill temp goes over set points and IT is reached. Very convenient.

GloryDayz 07-08-2017 07:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12948023)
I should have bought one a long time ago. I put the pork shoulder on at midnight and maintained 240 grill temp the entire night. I'm digging the alarms it sends if grill temp goes over set points and IT is reached. Very convenient.

They really are helpful.

Now we all need one of these!

https://www.wired.com/2015/07/high-tech-bbq/

https://assets.wired.com/photos/w_58...tudybbq_ff.jpg

https://www.wired.com/wp-content/upl...ol-289x451.jpg

In58men 07-08-2017 10:23 AM

9.5 hours in

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...4fa21e18c0.jpg

lewdog 07-08-2017 10:47 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12948102)
9.5 hours in

You sir are becoming a God. Good to know on the thermometer. Keep reporting on it's use and I may snag one this year.

In58men 07-08-2017 10:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12948126)
You sir are becoming a God. Good to know on the thermometer. Keep reporting on it's use and I may snag one this year.

You got it brotha, right now I'm really enjoying not going in and out.

lewdog 07-08-2017 11:01 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12948133)
You got it brotha, right now I'm really enjoying not going in and out.

You can say that again. I smoked ribs a few weekends ago....it was 115 out. Thermometer sitting outside and checking the grill temp was not fun.

FML.

In58men 07-08-2017 11:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12948144)
You can say that again. I smoked ribs a few weekends ago....it was 115 out. Thermometer sitting outside and checking the grill temp was not fun.

FML.

Flies are miserable here too, I probably let in about 3-5 each time I go out lol.

DJ's left nut 07-08-2017 11:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12948023)

yup - lid temps don't mean anything until you know how they behave with your grate temp. I know my lid tends to read about 40-50 degrees higher than my grate so if absolutely necessary (i.e. using only one probe), I'll put the probe in the meat and keep my lid temp at about 275. Then I'll just monitor the meat.

But anyone that doesn't own a grill thermometer needs to at least borrow one for a day or so to learn what their lid temp actually means.

GloryDayz 07-08-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12948144)

FML.

Just lay your brisket on a plank of cherry wood, cover it with a mosquito net, and come back 8 hours later, it'll be done. And tanned from the sunburn it'll get...

**** 115!

GloryDayz 07-08-2017 11:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12948153)
Flies are miserable here too, I probably let in about 3-5 each time I go out lol.

https://www.amazon.com/Apex-Aeolus-2...s=door+fly+fan

BucEyedPea 07-08-2017 11:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12948102)
9.5 hours in

What is it? Looks like a partial saddle.

GloryDayz 07-08-2017 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 12948204)

You need to study more meat on the Innerwebs.

lewdog 07-08-2017 12:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 12948204)

Probably that sturdiest thing you've rode in years!

In58men 07-08-2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lewdog (Post 12948236)
Probably that sturdiest thing you've rode in years!

ROFL 🤣

In58men 07-08-2017 01:03 PM

Any idea why the thermometer beeps with no issues on your set points? it doesn't do it often.

Dinny Bossa Nova 07-08-2017 01:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12948276)
Any idea why the thermometer beeps with no issues on your set points? it doesn't do it often.

Those are digital burn your house down jokes. They're a real hoot once you get 'em figured out.

Dinny

In58men 07-08-2017 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dinny Bossa Nova (Post 12948284)
Those are digital burn your house down jokes. They're a real hoot once you get 'em figured out.

Dinny

http://rhrealitycheck.org/wp-content...Stewart-FY.gif

srvy 07-08-2017 01:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12948276)

Mine beeps when it loses wireless connection then beeps when restored.

notorious 07-08-2017 01:50 PM

Okay grill masters, please list out your favorite seasonings and how much you apply.

Hamburgers

Steaks

Pork

Brisket

Etc.

I would also like to know about what temps you guys set your grills to. I am decent, but want to get better at grilling.

Thanks guys.

Buehler445 07-08-2017 02:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12948312)
Okay grill masters, please list out your favorite seasonings and how much you apply.

Hamburgers

Steaks

Pork

Brisket

Etc.

I would also like to know about what temps you guys set your grills to. I am decent, but want to get better at grilling.

Thanks guys.

First get yourself a thermapen. Cook things to the right temperature. Everything else is ancillary. Thermapens read in under 3 seconds and are accurate to less than a degree. Remember it will cook a little after you get it off the fire, but the real big key is knowing internal temp.

Hamburger
McCormic has a Montreal steak seasoning that has treated me well. Season salt and that stuff and you can't go wrong. /Runs before FMB! Crucifies me.

If you make your own patties try some other stuff. I've had decent luck mixing in some Oklahoma Joes BBQ sauce (sams carries it last I looked) and some kosher salt and pepper. It's nice for a change.

I cook burgers pretty hot. You have to pay pretty close attention but I have better luck keeping them juicy if I cook over higher heat. I can churn out decent burgers at low temps too though and it is safer.

Steaks
Pretty much just go with season salt and the McCormick stuff. temps are usually not too high.

I don't grill much pork.

I wouldn't grill a brisket unless you can do offset heat.

Buehler445 07-08-2017 02:11 PM

http://www.thermoworks.com

You are welcome.

DJ's left nut 07-08-2017 02:24 PM

Quote:

Hamburgers -- Salt and pepper. Anything more than that is communist and just tiny meatloaves

Steaks -- Salt and pepper. Anything more than that is communist and the symptom of a lousy chef. If I'm bored, I'll occasionally use Weber's coffee seasoning for a change of pace; very good.

Pork -- I love a product called Willingham's Wham. You can order it but I think you have to call. The same little old (not terribly friendly) woman has answered the phone for years. Let it breath a little bit or there's some pungent, almost citrus odor that I don't care for. Great stuff. Otherwise it's my rib rub that I described awhile back; can't give you a recipe, just mix it till it tastes good.

I also use it on chicken.

Brisket -- Santa Maria style; pretty basic stuff.

Etc.

Burgers: Medium high. Hold your hand over the coals right at the grate for maybe 2-3 seconds. If you can hold it longer than that without it hurting, you're too cool (and my hand is tough as shit; I rarely use tongs to turn and if my hand has any hair on it, I simply haven't grilled that week).

Chicken and Pork: Indirect heat; half the grill with coals, meat over the 'empty' side until about 10 degrees below final temp. Then I spread the coals flat and give everything a hot, hard finish to get a nice char on there. While on indirect I'd stick with medium high heat as well but it's really just a visual thing; watch what the meat on the cool side is doing, adjust as needed. For things like pork steak you want to go very slow to keep it from getting tough. For things like thick pork chops, you may want to do the same. Thinner chops can be a little hotter, IMO. Hard to give you great directions on indirect heat as it depends on your meat.

Steak: As hot as the grill will get.

Smoking: 225 - 250; you'll be fine anywhere in that range. With skin-on poultry I actually smoke around 325-350 for a nice crisp skin.

Edit: Cavender's Greek Seasoning is pretty decent as an all-purposes seasoning for vegetables and if you insist, you can add some to beef as well. I don't use it on white meat because I prefer other things but it's probably good on white meat as well.

In58men 07-08-2017 02:26 PM

Can't get an easier than this

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...09bd69aef2.jpg

cabletech94 07-08-2017 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12948332)
Can't get an easier than this

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...09bd69aef2.jpg

that table is hideous.

j/k

Fire Me Boy! 07-08-2017 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 12948341)
that beer is hideous.

j/k

FYP

In58men 07-08-2017 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12948352)
FYP

It's my marathon beer, for short sprints I prefer IPAs.

Founds All Day IPA and Dogfish Head

Fire Me Boy! 07-08-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12948321)
First get yourself a thermapen. Cook things to the right temperature. Everything else is ancillary. Thermapens read in under 3 seconds and are accurate to less than a degree. Remember it will cook a little after you get it off the fire, but the real big key is knowing internal temp.

Hamburger
McCormic has a Montreal steak seasoning that has treated me well. Season salt and that stuff and you can't go wrong. /Runs before FMB! Crucifies me.

If you make your own patties try some other stuff. I've had decent luck mixing in some Oklahoma Joes BBQ sauce (sams carries it last I looked) and some kosher salt and pepper. It's nice for a change.

I cook burgers pretty hot. You have to pay pretty close attention but I have better luck keeping them juicy if I cook over higher heat. I can churn out decent burgers at low temps too though and it is safer.

Steaks
Pretty much just go with season salt and the McCormick stuff. temps are usually not too high.

I don't grill much pork.

I wouldn't grill a brisket unless you can do offset heat.

Nah, eat what you like, dude. :)

Agree 100% on the Thermapen.

Burgers: S&P only, sometimes a homemade seasoned salt. Grill over high heat for 2-3 minutes for medium rare-medium. I like a hard sear on burgers.

Steak: S&P only, maybe also some granulated garlic. I prefer a compound butter. I often sous vide and finish over high heat for 60-90 seconds. If I'm grilling the entire piece, I usually reverse sear.

Brisket: I used to do complex rubs, it since I did a Dalmatian rub a few months ago, don't think I'll go back. Smoked in the PBC for 6-7 hours. Separate point and flat, warp flat and leave in a cooler wrapped in towels. Chop point and back out to the smoker for 1-2 hours.

Pork: Usually sous vide, and usually S&P only. But I'm more apt to braise pork in something.

Stewie 07-08-2017 02:53 PM

Quote:

Hamburgers - a million ways to do burgers, but mix seasoning into the raw meat. I always cook over high heat with no lid and seasoning can burn if on the surface.

Steaks- depends on the cut. Fatty cuts (ribeye, etc.) don't need more that salt and pepper. Leaner cuts need more help, maybe even a marinade.

Pork - Which cut? Ribs, loin, butt, picnic, etc.?

Brisket - Salt and pepper. The trick to doing brisket is knowing how to trim before it goes on the smoker. It's also really important to know how to separate the point from the flat when it's done... and to carve slices in the correct direction.

Etc.

Thanks guys.

Answers in the quote.

DJ's left nut 07-08-2017 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 12948369)
Answers in the quote.

I don't recommend salting hamburgers in advance. It creates some weird texture issues by how it draws moisture. And as you know, there's no amount of heat from a grill that can damage salt; it's virtually indestructible. Other seasonings - sure, mix 'em in (if you insist on making meat loaf patties) but there's no real upshot to mixing in salt, IMO, and some negative repercussions.

So if you're salting your burgers, just sprinkle a little on them right before you grill (kosher or sea salt; iodized is too harsh).

DJ's left nut 07-08-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12948359)
Nah, eat what you like, dude. :)

Agree 100% on the Thermapen.

Burgers: S&P only, sometimes a homemade seasoned salt. Grill over high heat for 2-3 minutes for medium rare-medium. I like a hard sear on burgers.

Steak: S&P only, maybe also some granulated garlic. I prefer a compound butter. I often sous vide and finish over high heat for 60-90 seconds. If I'm grilling the entire piece, I usually reverse sear.

Brisket: I used to do complex rubs, it since I did a Dalmatian rub a few months ago, don't think I'll go back. Smoked in the PBC for 6-7 hours. Separate point and flat, warp flat and leave in a cooler wrapped in towels. Chop point and back out to the smoker for 1-2 hours.

Pork: Usually sous vide, and usually S&P only. But I'm more apt to braise pork in something.

I at least presume you mean 'per side'. 2-3 minutes on a hot grill will give you raw hamburgers. I take mine off at 140 and that's generally in the 8-10 minute total range (and I don't adhere to the 'flip once' school; I do about 2 minutes and flip; 3-4 flips total).

Stewie 07-08-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12948379)
I don't recommend salting hamburgers in advance. It creates some weird texture issues by how it draws moisture. And as you know, there's no amount of heat from a grill that can damage salt; it's virtually indestructible. Other seasonings - sure, mix 'em in (if you insist on making meat loaf patties) but there's no real upshot to mixing in salt, IMO, and some negative repercussions.

So if you're salting your burgers, just sprinkle a little on them right before you grill (kosher or sea salt; iodized is too harsh).

I guess I should have been clear. I season right before going on the grill. Anything else is bad form.

In58men 07-08-2017 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12948323)

Shits not that serious ROFL

This cheap ass AcuRite thermometer was only 2 degrees off from the Maverick, I've had it for years.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f81d2abc65.jpg

Fire Me Boy! 07-08-2017 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12948381)
I at least presume you mean 'per side'. 2-3 minutes on a hot grill will give you raw hamburgers. I take mine off at 140 and that's generally in the 8-10 minute total range (and I don't adhere to the 'flip once' school; I do about 2 minutes and flip; 3-4 flips total).

Yes, per side. And of course, this also is dependent on the size of your patty. I usually do 6 oz. patties in a 4.5" ring. I do only flip once, but don't believe it matters. I don't typically temp my burgers, but based on their doneness, I'm pulling from the heat around 130.

DJ's left nut 07-08-2017 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Stewie (Post 12948382)
I guess I should have been clear. I season right before going on the grill. Anything else is bad form.

I found a cool trick for steaks and burgers that I think I buy into. Anything I want a hard sear on, I'll put in the fridge for maybe 30-40 minutes before I put them on the grill. The effect of the condenser and evaporator in the refrigeration cycle helps draw off excess moisture from the outside even more thoroughly than a simple paper towel pat-down will and doesn't smush out any extra moisture.

So with burgers I make my patties, lay 'em on a cookie sheet on paper towels, then leave them in the fridge for just a bit while I get my coals lit, spread and steady. Then I throw on the salt and pepper and straight to grill.

Steaks are so firm that it's less useful and a simple paper towel pat is probably good enough, but I really liked the effect on burgers.

Fire Me Boy! 07-08-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12948385)

This cheap ass AcuRite thermometer was only 2 degrees off from the Maverick, I've had it for years.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...f81d2abc65.jpg

Thermapen isn't about the accuracy. Most thermometers are accurate enough. Thermapen is all about speed. They get an accurate temp in less than 3 seconds. Most others are 10+.

Stewie 07-08-2017 03:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12948385)

I agree. I've had this one for over a year and it's still within 1 degree in boiling water.

https://www.harborfreight.com/instan...ter-95382.html

In58men 07-08-2017 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12948390)
Thermapen isn't about the accuracy. Most thermometers are accurate enough. Thermapen is all about speed. They get an accurate temp in less than 3 seconds. Most others are 10+.

My AcuRite is literally 5-7 seconds and it cost $10. Spending $180 to make it go 4-5 second faster is absurd, but if you have money to spend by all means.

notorious 07-08-2017 03:21 PM

I have an Ivation wireless temp monitor and a Thermopro wireless monitor.

Do you guys not trust the meat probe temps? Is that why you use thermopens?

In58men 07-08-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12948400)

I don't see a point in a thermopen if you're using wireless. I'll prolly never use my AcuRite again since I just paid for this Maverick.

Fire Me Boy! 07-08-2017 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12948396)
My AcuRite is literally 5-7 seconds and it cost $10. Spending $180 to make it go 4-5 second faster is absurd, but if you have money to spend by all means.

$180? They're Mark 4 pens are like $76 open box specials right now.

Stewie 07-08-2017 03:41 PM

I went to the Thermapen website and found the basis of their bullshit.

Other digital thermometers found today in retail outlets use a very cheap sensor called a thermistor. The only problem with that is they're relatively slow, taking 20 to 30 seconds to read a complete temperature. Many are even advertised as "Instant Read" and some packages boast a 1 second response time.

I laugh and laugh at this. Thermistors are far cheaper than thermocouples? Thermocouples cost about 20 cents in a Thermapen application. All instant read thermometers that I've seen use thermocouples. They have the golden goose selling a $10 item for over $50.

In58men 07-08-2017 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12948407)
$180? They're Mark 4 pens are like $76 open box specials right now.

Even then it'd save $60 and would be able to get a Maverick or more shit beer 😁

DJ's left nut 07-08-2017 03:51 PM

For me the reason I love the speed of the thermopen (and the .10 readout) is the ability to know exactly where your cool spot is.

I can just slowly push forward, watch that dial get colder and colder, then the instant the it goes from XXX.1 to XXX.2, I know I've found exactly where my center is and exactly what the coolest spot in the meat is (and thus my lowest temperature).

With a slower read, you can't do that. You're still kinda guessing on where your middle is. Sure, you can eyeball it, but that's not a real good method. The thermopen is pretty much real-time for that particular application and there's no real way to duplicate it that I've found.

It's the ability to get what amounts to a cutaway view of the meat that will ensure that I always have one.

Stewie 07-08-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12948434)
For me the reason I love the speed of the thermopen (and the .10 readout) is the ability to know exactly where your cool spot is.

I can just slowly push forward, watch that dial get colder and colder, then the instant the it goes from XXX.1 to XXX.2, I know I've found exactly where my center is and exactly what the coolest spot in the meat is (and thus my lowest temperature).

With a slower read, you can't do that. You're still kinda guessing on where your middle is. Sure, you can eyeball it, but that's not a real good method. The thermopen is pretty much real-time for that particular application and there's no real way to duplicate it that I've found.

It's the ability to get what amounts to a cutaway view of the meat that will ensure that I always have one.

Compared to what other instant read thermometer you've owned?

In58men 07-08-2017 03:58 PM

I'm not a technical guy, I don't need to know where cold spots are. Actually I never thought about it, once that internal temp hits where it needs to be, I pull it. Never once had I ever had an issue.

If I was some sort of a professional smoker, maybe I would get one? Even then I wouldn't be so sure about it.

In58men 07-08-2017 04:03 PM

Lil update 15 hours in

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...28d2fe7600.jpg

notorious 07-08-2017 04:46 PM

****ing Traeger. I love this grill, and decided to replace the controller with a digital temp controller upgrade.

Mother ****er won't smoke, the temp just goes straight to 370. Time to swap the old one back in so I can perform basic cooking. ****.

In58men 07-08-2017 04:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12948466)
****ing Traeger. I love this grill, and decided to replace the controller with a digital temp controller upgrade.

Mother ****er won't smoke, the temp just goes straight to 370. Time to swap the old one back in so I can perform basic cooking. ****.

I'm sorry bro, but Traegers are overrated. Everybody has their stories, but I know for a fact they're not worth the money. I have a couple of long stories, but I don't feel like typing it all out. Just know that the WSM or even a PBS is the better option.

Fire Me Boy! 07-08-2017 04:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12948434)

Same here. On a big thick steak or loaf of bread or whatever, there can be pretty dramatic temperature variation from edge to center. Very easy with a Thermapen to slide in and out to find the range. That ensures that the coolest spot gets temp.

notorious 07-08-2017 04:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12948469)
I'm sorry bro, but Traegers are overrated. Everybody has their stories, but I know for a fact they're not worth the money. I have a couple of long stories, but I don't feel like typing it all out. Just know that the WSM or even a PBS is the better option.

The thing worked flawlessly until I thought I needed temp control. The controller is the problem.

It still sucks. 20 minutes later I am rolling again.

In58men 07-08-2017 05:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12948471)
Same here. On a big thick steak or loaf of bread or whatever, there can be pretty dramatic temperature variation from edge to center. Very easy with a Thermapen to slide in and out to find the range. That ensures that the coolest spot gets temp.

I'm fairly accurate to tell the doneness (sp?) of a steak by touch. I don't make homemade bread, so in the words on Mark Cuban "I'm out"

In58men 07-08-2017 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12948472)
The thing worked flawlessly until I thought I needed temp control. The controller is the problem.

It still sucks. 20 minutes later I am rolling again.

I know two guys personally who owns Traegers and both had issues with their ignition button. I don't like the fact you need to run it on an electrical source to use.

In58men 07-08-2017 05:18 PM

16.5 hours later still able to hold 250 with one bag of Kingsford charcoal using the WSM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...0b438212b5.jpg

notorious 07-08-2017 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12948474)
I know two guys personally who owns Traegers and both had issues with their ignition button. I don't like the fact you need to run it on an electrical source to use.

I don't think I've ever seen a Traeger with an ignition button.

Buehler445 07-08-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 12948390)

Agreed. Mom wanted me to cook like 40 burgers on her traeger (I don't have one) and had some garbage thermometer that took 15 seconds. I had to go get mine. I would have put out garbage without it.

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12948400)

I wouldn't use a probe on anything except slow cuts like brisket or pork buttt. I wouldn't do it on burgers or steak or chicken.

In58men 07-08-2017 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by notorious (Post 12948490)
I don't think I've ever seen a Traeger with an ignition button.

Well it was some kind of start button or some shit. Don't have the exact terminology.

notorious 07-08-2017 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Inmem58 (Post 12948495)
Well it was some kind of start button or some shit. Don't have the exact terminology.

:thumb:

I went through a heating element about every 6 months with my Louisiana Grill, but I grill steaks on it at 550-600. The Traeger hasn't had an issue yet with it's element, but it can only get up to 450.

Elements are cheap, but they go out at the worst time: When you want to grill.