ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals *****Official 2024 Royals Season Repository Thread***** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=351629)

myselff77 04-09-2024 07:35 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 17475947)
It was one owner that only owned 25% of the team. So there is 1 example of an individual and one example of a group selling for profit.

And let's be real, the reason the franchise valuation went up so high is because they became winners not because of a new stadium and entertainment district.

Tons of people can operate a hedge fund. Flipping that for huge profit is a shit ton different than finally becoming majority owner of the team you grew up rooting for and then selling that team for a profit. To act like he's not making 10's of millions a year running the team is laughable.

I'm not sure what you are trying to debate. The OP asked for an owner who flipped the team for a profit and I gave an example. You both countered that he was not a majority owner, which is wrong. Lasry was not only a majority owner, but also served as the team Governor (IE: face of the ownership group) for a period of time.

If you want to debate if Sherman is trying to do the same that is a different topic. It appears Sherman is trying to follow the same blueprint as the Buck's ownership group. Whether he has ulterior motives to flip the team or not, I do not know. If I had to guess, I don't think he will. Given this is the second team he has had an ownership stake in, it appears he really desires to own a baseball team and the fact it's his local team can only help. Whether he flips the team or not, maximizing the value of the franchise is not a bad thing. You can take the Bucks as an example. The ownership group kept the team in Milwaukee, they have a nice new arena and popular entertainment district and the organization overall is in better shape than when they originally bought the team. Sure it is a bit at the expense of the taxpayers, but that is the price to be paid if you don't wat to be Omaha or Des Moines.

WhawhaWhat 04-09-2024 08:21 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">INF Michael Massey’s rehab assignment has been transferred from Northwest Arkansas (AA) to Omaha (AAA).</p>&mdash; Kansas City Royals (@Royals) <a href="https://twitter.com/Royals/status/1777456613990752711?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 8, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BWillie 04-09-2024 08:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by WhawhaWhat (Post 17476107)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">INF Michael Massey’s rehab assignment has been transferred from Northwest Arkansas (AA) to Omaha (AAA).</p>&mdash; Kansas City Royals (@Royals) <a href="https://twitter.com/Royals/status/1777456613990752711?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 8, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

0 for 4, 4ks so far in rehab

Fansy the Famous Bard 04-09-2024 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17476129)
0 for 4, 4ks so far in rehab

Deserved the promotion then.

myselff77 04-09-2024 01:10 PM

NWA Naturals are coming to town for a series this week in San Antonio. I don't follow the minors closely. Looking at the roster, Gavin Cross is the only name I recognize.

I know Duncan and a few others are much more knowledgeable. Any exciting prospects to keep an eye on if I'm able to attend a game?

poolboy 04-09-2024 01:31 PM

Raygun tonight...I would prob go just to see Gavin

duncan_idaho 04-09-2024 01:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by myselff77 (Post 17476432)
NWA Naturals are coming to town for a series this week in San Antonio. I don't follow the minors closely. Looking at the roster, Gavin Cross is the only name I recognize.

I know Duncan and a few others are much more knowledgeable. Any exciting prospects to keep an eye on if I'm able to attend a game?

Payton Wilson and Cayden Wallace are position players who may make a major league roster. Javier Vaz and Diego Hernandez in the OF, too.

Pitching side, local boy Noah Cameron would be fun to catch live. Beck Way is intriguing.

TLO 04-09-2024 02:58 PM

I'm feeling 7-4 after tonight folks!!!

TLO 04-09-2024 08:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 17476533)
I'm feeling 7-4 after tonight folks!!!

HELL YEAH!!

PBJ PBJ PBJ

Demonpenz 04-09-2024 09:48 PM

Now they got the on the field fixed we can get the downtown ballpark now

KCUnited 04-09-2024 09:50 PM

Yep no excuses now

Great Expectations 04-10-2024 07:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Demonpenz (Post 17476827)
Now they got the on the field fixed we can get the downtown ballpark now

LOL

I wonder if Sherman is placing the appropriate amount of blame on the disastrous marketing/messaging that they did on that vote.

GabyKeepsMeWarm 04-11-2024 01:56 AM

Are the Royals good? Best guess? Yeah, maybe.

BWJr is the real deal, and he’s just entering his prime. He’s not simply a potential all-star, he’s a potential MVP.

Maikel Garcia is good, and has times of being very good. Great glove, great speed and just seems to have a very high baseball IQ. I think he’s got a chance of being an occasional all-star.

Vinnie can hit. He had a bad first week and half of chopping wood, but that swing is real, and his eye is real. He’s gonna get 60-70 walks even in a bad year, and I really think he could be a very close version of Mike Sweeney, only left-handed. Also has so much personality and a very easy dude to root for. I think he could have some MVP vote seasons, and certainly a few all-star seasons

Salvy is doing it again. And he could be looking at a 9th all-star selection if he even comes close to continuing his current numbers. At the end, he’ll have his numbers, and even at his age, he’s no worse than middle of the pack at the catcher position.

Mervyl is potentially gonna be a beast offensively. If the work he’s done in the offseason in the outfield plays, he’s gonna be another potential all-star.

Nelson V. What a trade this has been. So far he’s been hitting to all fields, but his Kauffman numbers are insane. So happy he’s on the team. Potential all-star

Those are the first six dudes in the lineup. They’re getting it done.

The next three are a mixed bag, Renfroe, Frazier, Isbel…. But while they haven’t been excelling at anything collectively, they also haven’t hurt things too much, and they’ve all had a few moments already. Defense has been mostly solid, sans Frazier a bit. And nobody here is gonna carry the club, but hopefully not kill them either. Plus, Massey, Waters, and Loftin lay in the weeds.

But now we get to the pitching…

Wacha has the longest history of anyone in this rotation, and thus far, he’s been terrific. Dude is a total pro.

Lugo just got his 3rd start, and while he isn’t striking out many, he’s missing bats and making hitters look dumb or just hitting into easy grounders. Total pro. Haven’t been too many pitchers who went from being primarily relievers at the big league level to being starters, so I’m expecting a couple dead arm moments from him.

Brady Singer. Has he arrived? Or is this another odd/even year nonsense? He’s got the arm. He’s been mostly healthy. He’s in his prime and he’s looking locked in. He’s missing a lot of bats, and he’s doing something he hasn’t done much yet, getting a lot of easy innings, while still getting K’s. I really think he could get a no-hitter at some point. He could be an all-star.

Alec Marsh…. Way too early to say much. But if we can even get 5-6 innings out him or anyone from the fifth spot, we’re cooking with gas.

Cole Ragans is everyone’s hope and prayer for a real ace. He was the MAN last August and was the AL pitcher of the month. No small feat. He’s a revelation. The only question is can he do this for a full season. Cy Young and all-star potential.

Bullpen…. It’s been shaky. We don’t have a closer. We’ve got relievers and they’re all gonna have be used at the right time as I believe this crew is a work in progress. Nobody in this pen scares anyone. We have nobody who can go out there and simply knock em down. Thankfully, we have a good defense, and if they don’t give up too many meatballs, we should hang in most games.

So far, this season really couldn’t be going much better. A real rotation has been a revelation. But history says we won’t have a sub 2ERA from our starters, and there’s gonna be injuries and we’re gonna see Lynch, McMillon, Davies, Bubic and others at some point. No team goes without their share of injuries, but good seasons depend on limited injuries and nothing ever getting into stupid shit like losing 16 out of 20 games. Limit 2-3 streak losses, and keep your head up.

I think I predicted 77 wins +/- 5. I’m gonna stick with that, hope for the plus 5, and hope for even more. When the Royals win. People show up, and this joint turns into a baseball town rocking that stadium. Let’s win, rock that joint for a few more years before it gets lifted up and plopped downtown. Then we can just hopefully keep rocking while BWJr is in the middle of a HOF career…

Why Not? 04-11-2024 07:19 AM

Not gonna quote that whole thing, but pretty good takes. Team is at least fun to watch so far. I can't put too much stock in a 12 game window but 8-4 is a lot better than 4-8. Gotta shot to build some real momentum over the next 7 games. Get through May with a winning record and then I can start to get excited for the summer months. So far, so good.

duncan_idaho 04-11-2024 07:48 AM

I did some dips into the minor leagues since the question came up the other day, and honestly, I haven't really paid attention as closely as I have in the past.

And BOY did those 20-22 drafts shit the bed.

Asa Lacy is a tough one. The team was also connected heavily to Pete Crow-Armstong, who is a legit top 50 prospect.

I made my disdain for the approach in the 21 draft clear at the outset, and so far Mozzicato and Kudrna have done nothing to dispel that disquiet. Progress for each has been slow and inconsistent. The team was also connected to both Brady House and Matt McLain leading up to it. Either would have been a much more helpful pick.

The 22 draft, they were all over Gavin Cross and he has been a disaster. Not looking like he has turned it around so far this year, either.

And then there's 23. Where they end up drafting 8th thanks to the lottery. I am not confident in Blake Mitchell at all. I'm going to take a moment to be sad they didn't land one of the top 3 picks as a make-up for a few years of bad luck (sobs) because Wyatt Langford, Dylan Crews, and Paul Skenes would all offer MAJOR help this year.

Not much reinforcement to see for the 2024 MLB squad as a result, and not really much in the farm system to trade should it come to that point.

KC does have 3 of the top 41 (6, 39, 41) picks in the coming draft, and it simply has to start doing better in this regard. The 2024 draft class looks to be college-heavy (which I guess shouldn't be surprising - COVID disrupted the MLB draft a lot in 2020-21, and a lot more kids ended up in college than drafted than normal).

They won't get Trevor Bazzana, the current favorite to go 1st, which is a shame. But a guy like J.J. Weatherholt would be a fun fit - LH hitter who makes a lot of hard contact while also having plus bat-to-ball skills and can run. Projects at 3B or 2B as a pro and is really polished coming out of West Virginia.

If you want a toolshed guy, there are a few in range for KC. Texas A&M OF Braden Montgomery is a switch hitter with a big arm and great raw power and speed. It sounds like his RH swing needs work, but he has shown progress this spring.

Charlie Condon at Georgia also has crazy tools, with a Kris-Bryant like profile (tall, lanky, huge power). I don't expect him to make it to 6. He's a 3B-LF type.

A guy I like a lot that I don't expect KC to have any interest in is Nick Kurtz, a 1B at Wake Forest. He's a bat-first/bat-only guy but is a really complete hitter who controls the strike zone, has great power, translates it to game action, and covers the plate well.

He has a few teammates KC could be in on, though. Chase Burns is a RHP, formerly at Tennessee, with a big fastball and nasty slider. As a college pitcher, he reminds me a LOT of Max Scherzer (not surprising considering both were recruited by the same coach out of HS).

Burns and Kurtz play with Seaver King, a 2B/OF prospect with a lot of tools - hit for power, hit for average, good speed. Seems Royals-y.

There's also Iowa's Brody Brecht, a really hard-throwing RHP.

All in all, I think KC SHOULD be able to get at least one college guy who moves quickly and has high upside. I'd be super disappointed if they go the high school route again.

In a dream world, the Royals fixate on Bazzana or Condon and make it know that they are willing to outspend Cleveland's #1 slot to get them (which would be $11.5M). That might be enough to scare those teams off of their guy and let him slip.

I'd like to see them get aggressive and use that extra pool to get one of the top 2-3 guys to slip for them. Hasn't really been KC's MO but it is positioned to do that this year.

If you're wondering how the hell that works, here is how. Teams talk to players about what they're looking for to sign. It's a lot more set these days with the slot amounts, but not every team is looking to spend its slot amount on a guy. So Cleveland gets $10.5M in bonus pool money for the No. 1 pick slot amount, but the Indians might prefer to sign a player for $8M and spread the extra $2.5M around. Etc. So, if a team with a bigger bonus pool that is willing to be aggressive with it makes it clear to "their" guy that they will overpay his projected slot, that player might start telling other teams that's what it would take and run them off drafting him.

So, say KC is determined to get Bazzana or another player that should be gone long before them. They can meet with that player and his representation and make it clear what they're willing to do to get them. That player/his reps can then overshoot that number to other teams drafting ahead of the Royals, and let the guy fall.

It doesn't happen often because it is literally putting all your eggs in one basket, but this is a year the Royals MIGHT be able to do it.

How fun would it be to add a dynamite 2B who hits for average and power, doesn't strike out, and walks a bunch to the middle of the lineup in 2025?

Fun, right?

That's Trevor Bazzana.

duncan_idaho 04-11-2024 07:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm (Post 17478024)
Are the Royals good? Best guess? Yeah, maybe.

BWJr is the real deal, and he’s just entering his prime. He’s not simply a potential all-star, he’s a potential MVP.

Maikel Garcia is good, and has times of being very good. Great glove, great speed and just seems to have a very high baseball IQ. I think he’s got a chance of being an occasional all-star.

Vinnie can hit. He had a bad first week and half of chopping wood, but that swing is real, and his eye is real. He’s gonna get 60-70 walks even in a bad year, and I really think he could be a very close version of Mike Sweeney, only left-handed. Also has so much personality and a very easy dude to root for. I think he could have some MVP vote seasons, and certainly a few all-star seasons

Salvy is doing it again. And he could be looking at a 9th all-star selection if he even comes close to continuing his current numbers. At the end, he’ll have his numbers, and even at his age, he’s no worse than middle of the pack at the catcher position.

Mervyl is potentially gonna be a beast offensively. If the work he’s done in the offseason in the outfield plays, he’s gonna be another potential all-star.

Nelson V. What a trade this has been. So far he’s been hitting to all fields, but his Kauffman numbers are insane. So happy he’s on the team. Potential all-star

Those are the first six dudes in the lineup. They’re getting it done.

The next three are a mixed bag, Renfroe, Frazier, Isbel…. But while they haven’t been excelling at anything collectively, they also haven’t hurt things too much, and they’ve all had a few moments already. Defense has been mostly solid, sans Frazier a bit. And nobody here is gonna carry the club, but hopefully not kill them either. Plus, Massey, Waters, and Loftin lay in the weeds.

But now we get to the pitching…

Wacha has the longest history of anyone in this rotation, and thus far, he’s been terrific. Dude is a total pro.

Lugo just got his 3rd start, and while he isn’t striking out many, he’s missing bats and making hitters look dumb or just hitting into easy grounders. Total pro. Haven’t been too many pitchers who went from being primarily relievers at the big league level to being starters, so I’m expecting a couple dead arm moments from him.

Brady Singer. Has he arrived? Or is this another odd/even year nonsense? He’s got the arm. He’s been mostly healthy. He’s in his prime and he’s looking locked in. He’s missing a lot of bats, and he’s doing something he hasn’t done much yet, getting a lot of easy innings, while still getting K’s. I really think he could get a no-hitter at some point. He could be an all-star.

Alec Marsh…. Way too early to say much. But if we can even get 5-6 innings out him or anyone from the fifth spot, we’re cooking with gas.

Cole Ragans is everyone’s hope and prayer for a real ace. He was the MAN last August and was the AL pitcher of the month. No small feat. He’s a revelation. The only question is can he do this for a full season. Cy Young and all-star potential.

Bullpen…. It’s been shaky. We don’t have a closer. We’ve got relievers and they’re all gonna have be used at the right time as I believe this crew is a work in progress. Nobody in this pen scares anyone. We have nobody who can go out there and simply knock em down. Thankfully, we have a good defense, and if they don’t give up too many meatballs, we should hang in most games.

So far, this season really couldn’t be going much better. A real rotation has been a revelation. But history says we won’t have a sub 2ERA from our starters, and there’s gonna be injuries and we’re gonna see Lynch, McMillon, Davies, Bubic and others at some point. No team goes without their share of injuries, but good seasons depend on limited injuries and nothing ever getting into stupid shit like losing 16 out of 20 games. Limit 2-3 streak losses, and keep your head up.

I think I predicted 77 wins +/- 5. I’m gonna stick with that, hope for the plus 5, and hope for even more. When the Royals win. People show up, and this joint turns into a baseball town rocking that stadium. Let’s win, rock that joint for a few more years before it gets lifted up and plopped downtown. Then we can just hopefully keep rocking while BWJr is in the middle of a HOF career…

I think they COULD get to 88 wins in this division.

Re: the bullpen, I think they could add some help there from Omaha in John McMillon and Will Klein. Both throw hard and have nasty secondaries. And the bullpen is one of the easiest and cheapest in-season things to upgrade.

I'd still feel better about the lineup if there was a lefty veteran bat to mix in there, but Pasquantino and Melendez offer some potential there. If both of them perform, it also makes Pratto more expendable (not that he would get a TON, but he's trade-able surplus).

KCUnited 04-11-2024 09:46 AM

Imagine if the Royals fielded a playoff team during the Mahomes/Reid run. It would be almost year round success and peak fandom.

dlphg9 04-11-2024 11:45 AM

How odd is it that Mecca (supposed Royals fan) who liked to talk all kinds of shit on the organization has disappeared from Royals threads now that they're playing good?

Mecca 04-11-2024 11:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 17478516)
How odd is it that Mecca (supposed Royals fan) who liked to talk all kinds of shit on the organization has disappeared from Royals threads now that they're playing good?

I posted the other day...they're not shitting their pants in April so hopefully that is a good sign.

My biggest concern is the ability to deal with injury, injuries will happen over 162 games and as was pointed out there is no depth on the farm at the moment.

dlphg9 04-11-2024 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17478526)
I posted the other day...they're not shitting their pants in April so hopefully that is a good sign.

My biggest concern is the ability to deal with injury, injuries will happen over 162 games and as was pointed out there is no depth on the farm at the moment.

Lol you u have one post in a GDT and it was about Vinnie looking off because of his surgery.

TLO 04-11-2024 02:31 PM

Bobby Witt Jr. for MVP!!

smithandrew051 04-11-2024 02:58 PM

Currently the best run differential in all of baseball

duncan_idaho 04-11-2024 02:59 PM

Headed to the Mets next?

:evil laugh:

warpaint* 04-11-2024 03:10 PM

Enjoy it while it lasts our 9th win last yr improved us to 9-26. The team is fun to watch.

Woogieman 04-11-2024 03:12 PM

Another good sign: The Royals easily lead the majors in run differential

Dartgod 04-11-2024 03:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Woogieman (Post 17478903)
Another good sign: The Royals easily lead the majors in run differential

I don't know about "easily". The InGuardians are only 4 runs behind us at +35 and have played one less game. The next closest is the Orioles at +23.

Still pretty incredible.

Fansy the Famous Bard 04-11-2024 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fansy the Famous Bard (Post 17314188)
Calling my shot. This team will be above .500.

Ya'll keep doubting them Royals. Let's go boys!!!

Mizzou_8541 04-11-2024 03:34 PM

Nice to see Pas coming back to form. BWillie is pumped I’m sure. So am I.

Woogieman 04-11-2024 03:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 17478938)
I don't know about "easily". The InGuardians are only 4 runs behind us at +35 and have played one less game. The next closest is the Orioles at +23.

Still pretty incredible.

...but they're going to lose that one. Bet the mortgage!

tk13 04-11-2024 04:28 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Over their past 11 games, the Royals have outscored their opponents by 46 runs, 70 to 24.<br><br>That is the best run differential in any 11-game span by any Royals team since 1977.</p>&mdash; Rany Jazayerli (@jazayerli) <a href="https://twitter.com/jazayerli/status/1778528466977399154?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 11, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

New World Order 04-11-2024 04:31 PM

Looks like I actually have a sport to watch this spring abd summer.

Let’s go!!!

TLO 04-11-2024 05:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by New World Order (Post 17479005)
Looks like I actually have a sport to watch this spring abd summer.

Let’s go!!!

I wish I could watch them without illegally streaming the games but I'm right there with ya!

Pablo 04-11-2024 05:15 PM

Have you guys heard about this run differential stuff??

Royals are good at it!!!!!!!!

IowaHawkeyeChief 04-11-2024 05:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 17479026)

Who would have thought through 13 we would be leading the MLB...

smithandrew051 04-11-2024 05:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 17479026)

Royals tend to win when they score more runs than the opponent.

At least that’s what the analytics say.

GabyKeepsMeWarm 04-11-2024 05:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17479040)
Royals tend to win when they score more runs than the opponent.

At least that’s what the analytics say.

Nerd

Sassy Squatch 04-11-2024 06:11 PM

LMAO If they only would've done the ballot a couple weeks later...

KCUnited 04-11-2024 06:40 PM

**** the Crossroads!

BWillie 04-11-2024 06:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mizzou_8541 (Post 17478951)
Nice to see Pas coming back to form. BWillie is pumped I’m sure. So am I.

Woooooooooooooo

Pasquatch is coming alive !

siberian khatru 04-11-2024 08:34 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Coming into today, Royals second basemen had a 563 OPS, making it their least productive position. They still don&#39;t have an extra-base hit from 2B.<br><br>So one of the best lineups in the AL so far this season is about to get an upgrade. <a href="https://t.co/UUy3c9rW6S">https://t.co/UUy3c9rW6S</a></p>&mdash; Rany Jazayerli (@jazayerli) <a href="https://twitter.com/jazayerli/status/1778611934419378522?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 12, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

neech 04-11-2024 08:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TLO (Post 17478836)
Bobby Witt Jr. for MVP!!

He’s a baller, MVP that man.

MVChiefFan 04-12-2024 07:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 17479207)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Coming into today, Royals second basemen had a 563 OPS, making it their least productive position. They still don&#39;t have an extra-base hit from 2B.<br><br>So one of the best lineups in the AL so far this season is about to get an upgrade. <a href="https://t.co/UUy3c9rW6S">https://t.co/UUy3c9rW6S</a></p>&mdash; Rany Jazayerli (@jazayerli) <a href="https://twitter.com/jazayerli/status/1778611934419378522?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 12, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

PBJ

WhawhaWhat 04-12-2024 07:12 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">We&#39;ll be joined by <a href="https://twitter.com/Royals?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Royals</a> pitchers Cole Ragans and Brady Singer today in studio on MLB Central ��<br><br>Then, at 4pm ET <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/MLBNOffBase?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#MLBNOffBase</a> is back! <a href="https://t.co/NnsYWkl18G">pic.twitter.com/NnsYWkl18G</a></p>&mdash; MLB Network (@MLBNetwork) <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/1778762490899206183?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 12, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BWillie 04-12-2024 07:14 AM

The key to all of this was signing back-to-back-to-back World Series Champion Will Smith.

Fansy the Famous Bard 04-12-2024 08:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17479401)
The key to all of this was signing back-to-back-to-back World Series Champion Will Smith.

Back-to-back-to-back-to...-BACK? Could it happen? Would he be considered a GOAT? Let's go boys!!

loochy 04-12-2024 09:15 AM

Ok, so I'm a guy that very loosely pays attention to the Royals nowadays. So is this actually a competitive team? I know the awesome current record won't last, but is. 500 baseball a real possibility over the 162 game span?

Fansy the Famous Bard 04-12-2024 09:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by loochy (Post 17479479)
Ok, so I'm a guy that very loosely pays attention to the Royals nowadays. So is this actually a competitive team? I know the awesome current record won't last, but is. 500 baseball a real possibility over the 162 game span?

It is a possibility if the team by and large stays healthy. We have some aging pitching, though (with very little depth). So the vulnerability to lack of durability is likely going to cause issues. This has been a sample size against poor quality competition while mostly all being home games. We'll have a better gauge of the team come May 1.

TomBarndtsTwin 04-12-2024 09:23 AM

Quote:

If the starting pitching holds up, absolutely. That was the main focus of FA.

The bullpen has been terrible at times, but luckily there are some possible reinforcements there down in the minors.

The offense is what it is. It will struggle some days and roll others. Probably will have several stretches of both throughout the season.

But again, that's why you have the starting pitching. To keep the score down and the game within reach when the offense struggles. It will come down to them performing and avoiding injuries. Period.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-12-2024 10:34 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">.<a href="https://twitter.com/Bsinger51?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Bsinger51</a> has posted a 0.98 ERA and 2-0 record through 3 starts in 2024! ��<br><br>The <a href="https://twitter.com/Royals?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Royals</a> RHP joined <a href="https://twitter.com/markdero7?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@markdero7</a> and <a href="https://twitter.com/TheMayorsOffice?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@TheMayorsOffice</a> to talk through what&#39;s been working so far, expanding his pitch repertoire and more! <a href="https://t.co/vANy0azw3l">pic.twitter.com/vANy0azw3l</a></p>&mdash; MLB Network (@MLBNetwork) <a href="https://twitter.com/MLBNetwork/status/1778811875876049319?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 12, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 04-12-2024 10:35 AM

Quote:

We’re looking at 90 plus wins, way more than .500. Our run differential is insane so far. Which is why it’s sustainable.

duncan_idaho 04-12-2024 10:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 17479488)
If the starting pitching holds up, absolutely. That was the main focus of FA.

The bullpen has been terrible at times, but luckily there are some possible reinforcements there down in the minors.

The offense is what it is. It will struggle some days and roll others. Probably will have several stretches of both throughout the season.

But again, that's why you have the starting pitching. To keep the score down and the game within reach when the offense struggles. It will come down to them performing and avoiding injuries. Period.

I think Angel Zerpa is a really nice weapon in the pen, too. Good-enough stuff. Left-handed. Tough-minded.

If the starting pitching is solid throughout the year, this team is absolutely good enough to win the Central.

WilliamTheIrish 04-12-2024 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJLN

Pretty decent 'bulldog' outing from him.

Didn't have his best stuff, staked to a big lead, just gutted through 5 to help his BP out a little and retain the lead against a quality club.

Damn near anyone can be good when they bring their A stuff to the mound. The top of the rotation guys are guys who can get you to the finish line with their B stuff. Or guys that can give you 6 with 3 earned when they brought dick to the park that day.

As a kid in KC, Kevin Appier was a guy that could do that for the Royals. Even his bad days were days where he'd mitigate damage and get the job done. A less talented version of him then came to STL in Todd Stottlemeyer. And finally there was the guy I will FOREVER remember as a bulldog, Chris !@#$ing Carpenter. I will forever love that guy not for what he did on days that he was locked in, but for the things he did on days that he wasn't.

Thought it best to put this in the repository as it was too good of a post to be lost in a game day thread.

It’s very true of Appier and Jack McDowell in that 1993 season.

In the 70’s and early 80’s that bulldog was Dennis Leonard. I was fortunate enough to see him when he was completely unhittable with that slider.

But on days he didn’t have that slider he would battle like a mother and, especially at home, the Royals would jump on a mistake by the other team and he could finish or turn it over to Quiz. Most of the time he finished the job himself.

As he was aging and had arm injuries (83-84 and 85) he relied on guile and location. One fine May Day I scored tickets in the 4th row behind home plate against the Orioles. Pretty sure it was 83. O’s had a great lineup. But Murray had been in a slump and hadn’t hit a HR in like 20 games.

Leo was pitching in the 4th and I think there were two on. He got Murray to foul off a couple of pitches but couldn’t get him to fish.

Count was full. Advantage Murray. Leo from the stretch rares back and for the first time I’d ever seen it, threw about an 80 MPH slurve like pitch. (Think vintage CWS Lamar Hoyt).

Murray saw it, but couldn’t trigger. Genuflected at it as it dropped in Sundberg’s glove. As Leonard was walking to the dugout Murray said loud enough for everyone in that section to hear:

“Where the **** did you find that (pitch)”?

Leonard snuck a grin and said “Been saving that for ya”! And kept on trucking to the dugout.

Murray said back to him - and Eddie Murray was a surly MF’er and great player

“**** you, mother ****er”.

Leonard laughed and the entire section broke into laughter.

Murray homered later in the game off Leonard to win it 1-0.

But by then Dennis Leonard wasn’t the same pitcher. Dude would throw 20 complete games a year at his peak. And that story you told reminded me of how tough a competitor he was.

GabyKeepsMeWarm 04-12-2024 04:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 17479207)

Defensively too.

Bonertown
Population: Royals Kingdom

ChiefsCountry 04-13-2024 05:53 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Blake Mitchell has arrived!!<br><br>The <a href="https://twitter.com/Royals?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Royals</a> 2023 first-round draft pick&#39;s first professional career home run is an absolute BOMB to deep right field, putting the Fireflies up 7-0 after the 6th <a href="https://t.co/gy3zwaJ3Lz">pic.twitter.com/gy3zwaJ3Lz</a></p>&mdash; Columbia Fireflies (@ColaFireflies) <a href="https://twitter.com/ColaFireflies/status/1779295668525212018?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 13, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

dlphg9 04-13-2024 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm (Post 17479960)
Defensively too.

Bonertown
Population: Royals Kingdom

I've been assured we have no room for Massey, because Adam Frasier and especially Garrett Hampson(super utility man!) are too important to this team.

cmh6476 04-13-2024 05:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 17480885)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Blake Mitchell has arrived!!<br><br>The <a href="https://twitter.com/Royals?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">@Royals</a> 2023 first-round draft pick&#39;s first professional career home run is an absolute BOMB to deep right field, putting the Fireflies up 7-0 after the 6th <a href="https://t.co/gy3zwaJ3Lz">pic.twitter.com/gy3zwaJ3Lz</a></p>&mdash; Columbia Fireflies (@ColaFireflies) <a href="https://twitter.com/ColaFireflies/status/1779295668525212018?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 13, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

When should we expect him up?

dlphg9 04-13-2024 06:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cmh6476 (Post 17480889)
When should we expect him up?

Who knows. He's been sooo bad.

GabyKeepsMeWarm 04-13-2024 06:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsCountry (Post 17480885)

Hahahaha, holy cow... this announcer... Is this spaz for real? Sounds like a mediocre Jimmy Fallon obnoxious radio jock sketch. AND WE'RE BAAAAAAAACK!!!!

GabyKeepsMeWarm 04-13-2024 06:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 17480888)
I've been assured we have no room for Massey, because Adam Frasier and especially Garrett Hampson(super utility man!) are too important to this team.

We get it, we get it... But we know what the Royals will do. They're gonna send Loftin down to Omaha, promote Massey, and as long as Massey plays well, or well enough, in about a month when either Hampson, Frazier or both are barely slugging their weight, the Royals will quietly admit defeat and DFA one of those jokers around Memorial Day. Then Loftin rejoins the team.

GabyKeepsMeWarm 04-13-2024 06:24 PM

In about 20 minutes, our own beloved KC Royals will be standing atop the standings in the Central Division. Hallelujah! It's only the second week of April, but I'll take it!

tk13 04-13-2024 06:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm (Post 17480899)
We get it, we get it... But we know what the Royals will do. They're gonna send Loftin down to Omaha, promote Massey, and as long as Massey plays well, or well enough, in about a month when either Hampson, Frazier or both are barely slugging their weight, the Royals will quietly admit defeat and DFA one of those jokers around Memorial Day. Then Loftin rejoins the team.

Honestly at this point it's probably okay because I'd rather Loftin get ABs every day than sit on the bench behind Massey.

smithandrew051 04-13-2024 06:55 PM

First place with the best run differential in baseball

BWillie 04-13-2024 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 17479553)
We’re looking at 90 plus wins, way more than .500. Our run differential is insane so far. Which is why it’s sustainable.

I would bet you and ungodly amt of money that we don't win 90 games. Just an absurd amt of money.

GabyKeepsMeWarm 04-13-2024 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 17480938)
Honestly at this point it's probably okay because I'd rather Loftin get ABs every day than sit on the bench behind Massey.

Agreed.

poolboy 04-13-2024 07:05 PM

sorry but Massey has back issues and hasnt done jack squat in the bigs
I love him too but lets be honest here...we needed big league insurance in the infield

GabyKeepsMeWarm 04-13-2024 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17480967)
I would bet you and ungodly amt of money that we don't win 90 games. Just an absurd amt of money.

Anybody know what the biggest jump in win totals from one year to the next might be?

If the Royals went from 56 to 90 wins in a single year, I've gotta think that would be at least in the top 5. Not impossible, but a LOT of history working against this from happening.

siberian khatru 04-13-2024 07:11 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">The <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Royals?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Royals</a> are all alone in first place after the first week of the season for the first time since May 3, 2021.</p>&mdash; David Lesky (@DBLesky) <a href="https://twitter.com/DBLesky/status/1779308685652582663?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 14, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

siberian khatru 04-13-2024 07:20 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I think it’s time again. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/Royals?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#Royals</a> take over first place with a win vs. the Mets and a Cleveland loss to the Yankees! <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/KCMagicNumber?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#KCMagicNumber</a> is 148! <a href="https://t.co/ubwkuDhPJ6">pic.twitter.com/ubwkuDhPJ6</a></p>&mdash; #KCMagicNumber (@KCMagicNumber) <a href="https://twitter.com/KCMagicNumber/status/1779312020010996037?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 14, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

tk13 04-13-2024 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm (Post 17480976)
Anybody know what the biggest jump in win totals from one year to the next might be?

If the Royals went from 56 to 90 wins in a single year, I've gotta think that would be at least in the top 5. Not impossible, but a LOT of history working against this from happening.

Tried looking that up, as far as I can tell no one has ever lost 100 one year and won 90 the next. A few teams have won 80+ games. The 2017 Twins are the only team to lose 100 and make the playoffs the next year. But now 6 teams make the playoffs so it's a little easier.

GabyKeepsMeWarm 04-13-2024 07:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 17481000)
Tried looking that up, as far as I can tell no one has ever lost 100 one year and won 90 the next. A few teams have won 80+ games. The 2017 Twins are the only team to lose 100 and make the playoffs the next year. But now 6 teams make the playoffs so it's a little easier.

Biggest jump I'm able to find is the Atlanta Braves from 90 to 91. 29 game jump in wins from 65 to 94 wins and a World Series appearance in one year.

dlphg9 04-13-2024 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by poolboy (Post 17480975)
sorry but Massey has back issues and hasnt done jack squat in the bigs
I love him too but lets be honest here...we needed big league insurance in the infield

Oh, what big league insurance did we get that's better than Massey? Over the last 69 games of 2023 Massey had a .700 OPS and .241 BABIP. Seems to me that he was just extremely unlucky, but still produced well enough for a 2B.

dlphg9 04-13-2024 08:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm (Post 17481013)
Biggest jump I'm able to find is the Atlanta Braves from 90 to 91. 29 game jump in wins from 65 to 94 wins and a World Series appearance in one year.

This is what Gemini (googles AI) told me

Arizona Diamondbacks (1999): +35 wins (65 in 1998 to 100 in 1999)
Baltimore Orioles (1989): +33 wins (54 in 1988 to 87 in 1989)
Baltimore Orioles (2022): +31 wins (52 in 2021 to 83 in 2022)
Tampa Bay Rays (2008): +31 wins (66 in 2007 to 97 in 2008)
San Francisco Giants (1993): +31 wins (72 in 1992 to 103 in 1993)

DJay23 04-13-2024 08:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GabyKeepsMeWarm (Post 17481013)

If my memory serves the Braves AND the Twins went from worst to first that year and met in the World Series.

It was a long time ago so I could be wrong about that.

GabyKeepsMeWarm 04-13-2024 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 17481063)
This is what Gemini (googles AI) told me

Arizona Diamondbacks (1999): +35 wins (65 in 1998 to 100 in 1999)
Baltimore Orioles (1989): +33 wins (54 in 1988 to 87 in 1989)
Baltimore Orioles (2022): +31 wins (52 in 2021 to 83 in 2022)
Tampa Bay Rays (2008): +31 wins (66 in 2007 to 97 in 2008)
San Francisco Giants (1993): +31 wins (72 in 1992 to 103 in 1993)

There we go. Nice find. Kinda knew I was wrong about that Braves team.

So there is a precedent of going 30+ more in wins from one season to the next. But I'll stand by my previous comment of the Royals going from 56 to 90... It's possible, though quite unlikely as that is a lot of history to overcome in one season.

Would love to see it though! Gotta think 90 wins gets you a playoff spot and likely wins the Central. Though winning the division doesn't mean much anymore.

duncan_idaho 04-13-2024 08:40 PM

Massey is a pretty awesome defender, and offers a lot more pop and upside than Frazier. It should be a nice upgrade.

Not sure how they’ll shake out the roster, but a Loftin demotion seems likely (which is weird since he’s their 3 hitter against lefties).

Hampton offers them some OF insurance for Isbel in cF, so short of just releasing Frazier I don’t see an alternative.

poolboy 04-13-2024 09:12 PM

Im just worried about Massey and his back...maybe the Royals thought so too and signed two utility guys just in case...or maybe its a coincidence

dlphg9 04-13-2024 10:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17481105)
Massey is a pretty awesome defender, and offers a lot more pop and upside than Frazier. It should be a nice upgrade.

Not sure how they’ll shake out the roster, but a Loftin demotion seems likely (which is weird since he’s their 3 hitter against lefties).

Hampton offers them some OF insurance for Isbel in cF, so short of just releasing Frazier I don’t see an alternative.

Drew Waters is crushing it in Omaha and would you say he's a better defender than Isabel?

duncan_idaho 04-14-2024 06:25 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dlphg9 (Post 17481196)
Drew Waters is crushing it in Omaha and would you say he's a better defender than Isabel?

Definitely not. But he offers more than Garrett Hampson.

He’s also a guy I’d rather see get regular ABs, though, than play the short side platoon role in KC.

dlphg9 04-14-2024 12:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17481270)
Definitely not. But he offers more than Garrett Hampson.

He’s also a guy I’d rather see get regular ABs, though, than play the short side platoon role in KC.

How long of a leash do you think Isbel has before they call up Waters and give him CF?

Why Not? 04-14-2024 04:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17480967)

Yeah i'd like to get in on that with you. I mean this is cool and all and 10-6 is better than 6-10 but people are really taking a 16 game sample size and running wild with it. The Royals have a shot to be a little more competitive than we thought but finishing .500 or better is still much more pie in the sky than it is realistic.