ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   News 17 dead after duck boat capsizes on Table Rock Lake (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=316341)

Dartgod 07-20-2018 11:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 13636741)
Victims ages range from 1 to 70.

Heartbreaking.

cooper barrett 07-20-2018 11:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Flying High D (Post 13636741)
Victims ages range from 1 to 70.

So there is still a chance my ex wife was riding a duck?

Hoover 07-20-2018 12:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 13636727)
They are saying that 17 are dead including kids. The video of it is heartbreaking.

Makes you wonder if people have any common sense. You don't go out on the water with a storm approaching-period. Why would these people get in there with their kids and why in the world would the drivers do it as well? They live at the lake and know how dangerous it is during storms. What a tragedy, one that could have easily been avoided.

Its not like you get in the Duck at the edge of the water. They probably boarded that thing 45 mins earlier, took a drive up and down a mtn, then entered the water about 15 mins before everything went to shit. Sadly, most people are too trusting. "We wouldn'tbe out here if it wasn't safe..."

Fish 07-20-2018 12:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pogue (Post 13636658)
It shouldn’t matter how close to the dock the boat was, the captain should know the boat can’t hold up in those conditions. Why not have the wind at your back and just beach it?

Because in those waves, the second that boat tries to turn around, it's going to capsize. The duck boats are narrow and top heavy.

Halfcan 07-20-2018 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 13636782)
Its not like you get in the Duck at the edge of the water. They probably boarded that thing 45 mins earlier, took a drive up and down a mtn, then entered the water about 15 mins before everything went to shit. Sadly, most people are too trusting. "We wouldn'tbe out here if it wasn't safe..."

Do the Duck boats even have Life Preservers or vest? It really seems to be a high mortality rate even considering the storm conditions.

Pogue 07-20-2018 12:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RockChalk (Post 13636735)
How the **** would the captain know whether it would hold up or not? You think he navigates those things in 60+mph winds on a weekly basis?

I think amidst your babbling rant, you answered your own question.

Quote:

[]He probably has never gone through anything like that before and saw another boat (the exact same ****ing model) charging on ahead that ended up making. By the time he realized it was going down, it was too late.
If he’s relying and watching another boat while his is in trouble, he probably doesn’t have a clue what he’s doing. There could be weight differences etc.

Quote:

Kindly STFO and quit being the typical internet dipshit that would have saved the day if he had been there. You weren't in that situation, never will be in that situation, so you have no ****ing clue what you're talking about.
I’ve had enough experience to not mess with Mother Nature on boat trips and check the weather conditions often on the Pacific Ocean. But you keep on being a keyboard warrior.

displacedinMN 07-20-2018 12:25 PM

Can't bring myself to watch it.

Hoover 07-20-2018 12:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 13636792)
Do the Duck boats even have Life Preservers or vest? It really seems to be a high mortality rate even considering the storm conditions.

Yeah, they are small and strapped to the ceiling.

I figures I'd need like 3 to get my large ass to float.

My wife and I are really aware people. We always check everything out, hech my wife is always packing and has turnicates and shit, its weird, a little too serious sfor me to be honest. Now the one we were on didn't have plexiglass sides so if shit hit the fan I would have been out the window and either get to the branson belle or the little island they go around out in the water.

Had I been out on that thing I would have been communicating with the driver and captain in that situation. I'd be shocked if those people didn't have the life vests on. I think the main issue is that they couldn't get out. And if you did you are going to be pushed near a giant paddelwheeler.

Halfcan 07-20-2018 12:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13636790)
Because in those waves, the second that boat tries to turn around, it's going to capsize. The duck boats are narrow and top heavy.

This. I never thought they looked all that safe to be on the water. Maybe across a short distance for the novelty of it, but not a full-length lake tour.

There are better options to cruise the lake instead of a floating tank on wheels.

ROYC75 07-20-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stumppy (Post 13636685)
Yea, I wouldn't be surprised to see some criminal charges come from this.

Criminal? Like what deadly force with a Duck?

Think Civil case, Negligence.

Pogue 07-20-2018 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 13636782)

Wonder if these guys even had radios to provide updates on the trip/tour etc.

DJJasonp 07-20-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by displacedinMN (Post 13636815)
Can't bring myself to watch it.

agreed.

dj56dt58 07-20-2018 12:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ROYC75 (Post 13636826)
Criminal? Like what deadly force with a Duck?

Think Civil case, Negligence.

Negligence leading to death can absolutely lead to criminal charges

Halfcan 07-20-2018 12:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 13636819)
Yeah, they are small and strapped to the ceiling.

I figures I'd need like 3 to get my large ass to float.

My wife and I are really aware people. We always check everything out, hech my wife is always packing and has turnicates and shit, its weird, a little too serious sfor me to be honest. Now the one we were on didn't have plexiglass sides so if shit hit the fan I would have been out the window and either get to the branson belle or the little island they go around out in the water.

Had I been out on that thing I would have been communicating with the driver and captain in that situation. I'd be shocked if those people didn't have the life vests on. I think the main issue is that they couldn't get out. And if you did you are going to be pushed near a giant paddelwheeler.

It is not weird at all. Very smart actually. You always have to be prepared.

Sounds like those vest were the bare minimum and did not help much in those terrible conditions. I did not realize they had no way to exit the boats. I thought they were open-air windows?

srvy 07-20-2018 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 13636790)

:LOL:
John Paul Jones