ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Food and Drink Thanksgiving 2017 food (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=311518)

TimBone 11-22-2017 02:09 AM

Decided to stick to a small traditional dinner with just me, my wife, and son. I'm smoking the turkey and the wife will handle the sides and desserts. The kid will help where needed.

Got the turkey in a brine now:

Water
Salt
Sugar
Orange slices
Lemon slices
Lime slices
Onion
Garlic
Thyme

First time I've used that brine, but it smelled fantastic on the stove.

I think the sides are corn, mashed potatoes & gravy, biscuits, green bean casserole, Mac n cheese, and pumpkin pie for dessert. Pretty simple, but I'm looking forward to a small thanksgiving at home for the first time in a while. We're usually traveling to family or going to a friend's house.

TimBone 11-22-2017 02:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 13232341)
Anyone ever have sweet potato cornbread? It's the one thing I always look forward to at Thanksgiving.

Also, we've gone out for Thanksgiving twice. We went to Cracker Barrell both times, which has a nice Thanksgiving meal they put on every year. I'm definitely a fan.

Sweet potato cornbread sounds different. I'd definitely try it.

KCrockaholic 11-22-2017 02:12 AM

Have a good one TimBone, sometimes staying home for Thanksgiving is for the best. I'm basically doing the same this year. Going to see my great grandmother at her retirement home, but otherwise, dinner is at home this year. Which reminds me, I need to get some whiskey before the stores close.

luv 11-22-2017 10:29 AM

Boyfriend is preparing turkey porchetta. I don't know what all it involves, but he got stuffing, cranberries, figs, mushrooms, and prosciutto. He put it in to brine last night.

I am making pumpkin pie tonight, and I'm in charge of potatoes tomorrow.

Papasmurf (or my dad, for those who don't remember him on here) is bringing green bean casserole and bread out of his bread machine.

Just three of us and a toddler, so I think we'll have plenty. :)

Why Not? 11-22-2017 10:36 AM

Just myself the Mrs and the two kiddos. We normally travel but this will be the second time it's just the four of us. Can't wait. Menu:

Turkey, ham, stuffing, rolls, GB casserole, mashed with gravy, sweet potatoes, cranberries, homemade apple and pumpkin pie with homemade salted caramel ice cream. Hoping to gain about 20 pounds.

ptlyon 11-22-2017 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 13232690)
Hoping to gain about 20 pounds.

I think you're gonna

Easy 6 11-22-2017 10:53 AM

Moms doing the traditional layout this year... roast turkey, stuffing, green bean casserole, sweet potatoes, mashed potatoes with turkey gravy, scalloped corn, rolls

Lzen 11-22-2017 11:07 AM

I am trying my hand at deep frying a turkey this year. It's 16lbs. Any advice from the pros on this would be welcome.

Why Not? 11-22-2017 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ptlyon (Post 13232696)
I think you're gonna

Sweet!

Easy 6 11-22-2017 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TimBone (Post 13232419)
Decided to stick to a small traditional dinner with just me, my wife, and son. I'm smoking the turkey and the wife will handle the sides and desserts. The kid will help where needed.

Got the turkey in a brine now:

Water
Salt
Sugar
Orange slices
Lemon slices
Lime slices
Onion
Garlic
Thyme

First time I've used that brine, but it smelled fantastic on the stove.

I think the sides are corn, mashed potatoes & gravy, biscuits, green bean casserole, Mac n cheese, and pumpkin pie for dessert. Pretty simple, but I'm looking forward to a small thanksgiving at home for the first time in a while. We're usually traveling to family or going to a friend's house.

That brine sounds top shelf

Fire Me Boy! 11-22-2017 11:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lzen (Post 13232779)
I am trying my hand at deep frying a turkey this year. It's 16lbs. Any advice from the pros on this would be welcome.

Cook it frozen.

Fill your container with oil.

Drop it fast.

Don't listen to any of this.

ptlyon 11-22-2017 11:14 AM

Quote:

What could possibly go wrong?

raybec 4 11-22-2017 11:31 AM

Quote:

Make sure it's completely frozen when you put it in, that's the best.

dlphg9 11-22-2017 11:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fire Me Boy! (Post 13232789)
Cook it frozen.

Fill your container with oil.

Drop it fast.

Don't listen to any of this.

Don't forget to cook it in the house. Don't wanna expose the turkey to the elements

In58men 11-22-2017 11:53 AM

Green Bean Casserole

Mashed Potatoes

Macaroni salad

Ham