ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Let's talk about the 49ers (Super Bowl Edition) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352059)

JTB1974 02-02-2024 08:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 17380931)
So Kittle missed practice all week with his toe problem and both him and Shanahan are being vague about it. He's gonna play but in the last game he only had a few targets so is he being used as a decoy and a blocker due to the injury now? That's something Spags has to figure out.

Also Greg Cosell has said San Fran are one of the worst defenses on 3rd down and have been ineffective rushing just four.

As a Niners fan I agree about their 3rd down defense. It's horrible. Wilks has taken a top 3 defense and made it average overnight. And I think it's because his specialty is the secondary but the bread and butter of this team is the front 7. He has no idea how to scheme pressures. Having Bosa, Hargraves, Armstead, and Young there is no reason why they shouldn't be getting to the QB quite often.

Megatron96 02-02-2024 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 17380931)
So Kittle missed practice all week with his toe problem and both him and Shanahan are being vague about it. He's gonna play but in the last game he only had a few targets so is he being used as a decoy and a blocker due to the injury now? That's something Spags has to figure out.

Also Greg Cosell has said San Fran are one of the worst defenses on 3rd down and have been ineffective rushing just four.

Shanahan has been pretty inconsistent about how much he has Kittle actually run routes. Has had nothing to do with whether Kittle's injured or not, as far as I can tell. If he goes according to history, Kittle will see less than 6 targets in the SB, which should be a crime. Really good for us, though. Doubt we could cover him if he was running around on most passing snaps. He is a tremendous blocker, but his other receiving skills are largely being wasted, imo.

tredadda 02-02-2024 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by NinerDoug (Post 17380840)
Indeed he does. Quite possibly the best the trade the Niners ever made. And I know Brock doesn't get respect around here (or elsewhere outside NinerLand), but the kid's a baller, IMHO. He's everything Alex Smith was not: Fearless, not afraid to take chances. Dealing with the threat from McCaffrey, you then have Aiyuk, Deebo, and Kittle to deal with. Brandon's been tearing it up this season.

I'm more than a bit worried about the D. The Lions ran all over us in the first half of the NFCCG.

I can’t believe that I am about to defend Smith, but of course Purdy is everything that Smith is not. He’s Mr. Irrelevant and has nothing to lose out there, has far more skill weapons than Smith at the same points in their careers, SF is much better run now and has stability on offense. Smith was supposed to lead a turnaround of that franchise while Purdy wasn’t. Far less is asked or expected of Purdy than Smith.

DRM08 02-02-2024 08:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTB1974 (Post 17380941)
As a Niners fan I agree about their 3rd down defense. It's horrible. Wilks has taken a top 3 defense and made it average overnight. And I think it's because his specialty is the secondary but the bread and butter of this team is the front 7. He has no idea how to scheme pressures. Having Bosa, Hargraves, Armstead, and Young there is no reason why they shouldn't be getting to the QB quite often.

Why did Shanny hire Wilks? That move seems like a major downgrade from Saleh & DeMeco. It feels like the reverse of what happened with the Chiefs. They fired Bob Sutton and upgraded with Spags, instead of replacing Spags with Bob Sutton.

Sassy Squatch 02-02-2024 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 17380961)
Why did Shanny hire Wilks? That move seems like a major downgrade from Saleh & DeMeco. It feels like the reverse of what happened with the Chiefs. They fired Bob Sutton and upgraded with Spags, instead of replacing Spags with Bob Sutton.

He's a minority hire they hoped would do well enough to justify another team making him their head coach.

UChieffyBugger 02-02-2024 08:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 17380961)

His defense with Carolina was pretty decent that's why.

DRM08 02-02-2024 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by UChieffyBugger (Post 17380989)
His defense with Carolina was pretty decent that's why.

Meh

scho63 02-02-2024 09:09 PM

I know it will sound over confident but how the hell can Brock Purdy beat Patrick Mahomes in the Super Bowl.

If we get to Purdy early, I think we win.

Easy 6 02-02-2024 09:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 17380930)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I ran into <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/IsiahPacheco?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#IsiahPacheco</a> last night, I like his style of running. I pray stays healthy. <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/GoChiefs?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#GoChiefs</a> <a href="https://twitter.com/hashtag/SuperBowlLIV?src=hash&amp;ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">#SuperBowlLIV</a> <a href="https://t.co/puOEJsLsF3">pic.twitter.com/puOEJsLsF3</a></p>&mdash; Christian Okoye (@ChristianOkoye) <a href="https://twitter.com/ChristianOkoye/status/1753393675063758969?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">February 2, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Okoye has shrunk with age as we all do, but still wow... Pacheco is a big old sucker, gimme another 5 years of that guy please

DRM08 02-02-2024 09:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by scho63 (Post 17381004)
I know it will sound over confident but how the hell can Brock Purdy beat Patrick Mahomes in the Super Bowl.

Nick Foles & Tom Brady

ptlyon 02-02-2024 09:32 PM

Quote:

Purdy, maybe not, McCaffrey might

Basileus777 02-02-2024 10:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DRM08 (Post 17381016)
Nick Foles & Tom Brady

Or Eli Manning. Purdy already has a miracle helmet catch to his name.

Chiefspants 02-02-2024 10:53 PM

Quote:

We're very much playing against a scheme here, rather than Purdy in a vacuum. Shanny Jr. led a Jimmy freakin' G led offense to a 20-10 lead against the legion of zoom Chiefs until midway through the 4th quarter. If Shanny gets Purdy high percentage passes to CMC, Sanders, and Aiyuk in space early, it's conceivable the Niners could get a couple of early scores on the Chiefs as opponents have this year before Spags makes his adjustments.

FWIW, I'd put the odds slightly higher on Purdy hitting Emmanuel Sanders than Jimmy G (though maybe not in stride). More likely, though, is that Purdy hits the wide ass open Kendrick Bourne who was 15 yards downfield on the same play.

Basileus777 02-02-2024 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefspants (Post 17381077)
We're very much playing against a scheme here, rather than Purdy in a vacuum. Shanny Jr. led a Jimmy freakin' G led offense to a 20-10 lead against the legion of zoom Chiefs until midway through the 4th quarter. If Shanny gets Purdy high percentage passes to CMC, Sanders, and Aiyuk in space early, it's conceivable the Niners could get a couple of early scores on the Chiefs as opponents have this year before Spags makes his adjustments.

FWIW, I'd put the odds slightly higher on Purdy hitting Emmanuel Sanders than Jimmy G (though maybe not in stride). More likely, though, is that Purdy hits the wide ass open Kendrick Bourne who was 15 yards downfield on the same play.

It's a completely different defense other than Chris Jones though. Purdy isn't playing against Hitchens and Sorensen.

Chiefspants 02-02-2024 11:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Basileus777 (Post 17381079)
It's a completely different defense other than Chris Jones though. Purdy isn't playing against Hitchens and Sorensen.

Oh for sure, but the 49ers wouldn't be the first team to roll out a surprising gameplan to get a couple of early scores on Spags. Hell, even Zach Wilson and the Jets got a couple in before Spags got his adjustments in place.

That means no disrespect to Spags. The dude is my dream defensive coordinator (I have always loved blitzing) and I consider him to be the anti-Sutton. His halftime/in game adjustments are second to none and I don't even sweat it anymore if a team tags us with an early score or two (Browning and the Bengals early start is another example - before Spags slammed the door shut).