ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Poop Robert Pattinson... is Batman. (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=322984)

The Franchise 04-21-2022 11:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 16256397)
;) I agree- pretty badass.

While Marvel / Disney is going woke- DC seems like they might have figured out what fans really want.

Oh shut the **** up with your woke bullshit.

Skyy God 04-22-2022 02:51 AM

I watched this on Monday and then part of The Dark Night Tuesday.

Hot take: TDK hasn’t aged well and is highly overrated.

Frazod 04-22-2022 05:29 AM

I thought it was overrated when it first came out.

ThaVirus 04-22-2022 06:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 16256396)
Ranking Batman's I'd have to say it's the 3rd worst, just ahead of Batfleck and Kilmer.

Wow. Kilmer and Affleck were probably my favorite Batmen, even if their movies were pretty terrible.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 16256397)
;) I agree- pretty badass.

While Marvel / Disney is going woke- DC seems like they might have figured out what fans really want.

LMAO "You know who really knows what the people want? DC!"

Meanwhile Marvel/Disney owns 14 of the top 20 highest grossing films of all time. DC? 0. lol

You're a dipshit.

ScareCrowe 04-22-2022 12:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16256674)
I thought it was overrated when it first came out.

Same here, Batman Begins is the best of the Bale Batman movies IMO.

Frazod 04-22-2022 03:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ScareCrowe (Post 16257347)
Same here, Batman Begins is the best of the Bale Batman movies IMO.

We are certainly in the minority, though. But that's the only one of the three I'll still occasionally watch. Much like the '89 Keaton Batman, it goes off the rails a bit at the end, but the origin story part is fantastic.

Fish 04-22-2022 11:11 PM

Finally watched this. Thought it was pretty meh. Pattinson was better than I expected. But still... Way too long for the resulting story. Much less action than I expected. The motives were weird. I really liked how the portrayed the Riddler and his insanity. Making him a normal looking nerd type but being so evil and competent was pretty neat. The part with Joker at the end was cool. But up to that point, it was mostly a drag.

staylor26 04-23-2022 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16256706)
Wow. Kilmer and Affleck were probably my favorite Batmen, even if their movies were pretty terrible.

Meanwhile Marvel/Disney owns 14 of the top 20 highest grossing films of all time. DC? 0. lol

You're a dipshit.

To be fair, The Batman and The Suicide Squad are better than anything Marvel has put out since Infinity War and Endgame.

The DCEU is still a bit of a mess though.

Halfcan 04-23-2022 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16256601)
Oh shut the **** up with your woke bullshit.

How is it bullshit when it is literally coming straight from the mouths of Disney execs?

Are you trying to deny that they not did just get their asses handed to them in Florida for their insane agenda?

Halfcan 04-23-2022 02:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16256706)

You're a dipshit.

I did not say that Marvel did not have a great track record in the past- but nice strawman argument. :doh!:

Check out how much money this Batman is bringing in- Today!

https://movieweb.com/the-batman-700-...-office-gross/

Your post is ignorant and irrelevant, the fans have shown their opinion with their ticket buying.

BigCatDaddy 04-23-2022 02:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16258676)
To be fair, The Batman and The Suicide Squad are better than anything Marvel has put out since Infinity War and Endgame.

The Spidermans were better. Hopefully we get some X-Men stuff before long.

staylor26 04-23-2022 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 16258711)
The Spidermans were better. Hopefully we get some X-Men stuff before long.

They were good, but I fully disagree that they were better.

ThaVirus 04-23-2022 03:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16258676)

Matter of opinion, but I disagree. Spider-Man FFH and NWH were both on par with The Batman.

Personally, I didn't think The Suicide Squad was even all that good.

The MCU has been a bit weak since Endgame but that makes sense. They just wrapped up a 10 year saga. Most of these properties they're pumping out now are C-listers at best until they bring in X-Men and Fantastic Four.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 16258696)
I did not say that Marvel did not have a great track record in the past- but nice strawman argument. :doh!:

Check out how much money this Batman is bringing in- Today!

https://movieweb.com/the-batman-700-...-office-gross/

Your post is ignorant and irrelevant, the fans have shown their opinion with their ticket buying.

Wow. You just linked an article showing The Batman, DC's most popular property, just crossed $700m. It's long run out of juice and won't sniff $1B.

Meanwhile Spider-Man: No Way Home nearly hit $2B lol

The Eternals and Shang-Chi both crossed the $400m mark. Literally no one even gives a shit about those characters and Batman couldn't even double their numbers.

You really think this measly $700m with DC's best ****ing character is proof of DC getting its shit together?

MarkDavis'Haircut 04-23-2022 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 16258691)
How is it bullshit when it is literally coming straight from the mouths of Disney execs?

Are you trying to deny that they not did just get their asses handed to them in Florida for their insane agenda?

One of their leaders herself said 50% of the characters must be LGBTQIA+ or a minority.

Yet, people deny it.

Halfcan 04-23-2022 05:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 16258780)
One of their leaders herself said 50% of the characters must be LGBTQIA+ or a minority.

Yet, people deny it.

:thumb:

Halfcan 04-23-2022 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16258748)
Matter of opinion, but I disagree. Spider-Man FFH and NWH were both on par with The Batman.

Personally, I didn't think The Suicide Squad was even all that good.

The MCU has been a bit weak since Endgame but that makes sense. They just wrapped up a 10 year saga. Most of these properties they're pumping out now are C-listers at best until they bring in X-Men and Fantastic Four.

Wow. You just linked an article showing The Batman, DC's most popular property, just crossed $700m. It's long run out of juice and won't sniff $1B.

The Eternals and Shang-Chi both crossed the $400m mark. Literally no one even gives a shit about those characters and Batman couldn't even double their numbers.

You really think this measly $700m with DC's best ****ing character is proof of DC getting its shit together?

How about reviews? Would that show that fans liked it since you want to ignore The Batman is the highest-grossing show of the year in only 45 days of release?

Huge hit on Rotton Tomatoes

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/the_batman

Now it is killing it on HBO.

https://movieweb.com/the-batman-hbo-max-debut-numbers/

So yeah- my original post stating that DC looks to be on the uptrend as Disney is mired in "wokeness" stands.

ThaVirus 04-23-2022 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 16258809)
How about reviews? Would that show that fans liked it since you want to ignore The Batman is the highest-grossing show of the year in only 45 days of release?

So yeah- my original post stating that DC looks to be on the uptrend as Disney is mired in "wokeness" stands.

The implication was that Disney is on the way down with its "wokeness" while DC is trending up because they know what the people really want (aka not being woke), which is hilarious because dipshits like you were crying about The Batman being woke with a black Commissioner Gordon, black Catwoman, and black mayor.

1. The Batman was a good, enjoyable movie.

2. Marvel is still shitting on DC.

3. You're an idiot.

Easy 6 04-23-2022 08:45 PM

The Dark Knight didn't age well, lol thats news to me... TDK set the bar for everyone in every universe, and everyone else is just swimming in its wake IMO

srvy 04-23-2022 11:58 PM

I didn't like this batman at all I almost gave up somewhere near the middle but stuck it out. They even made Alfred the Butler uninteresting. The Riddler was acted terribly no way anyone would have followed him for that ending.

Also could we have gotten any less a look at the batmobile? It must have been a real clown car since we didn't get a close look.

Sure-Oz 04-24-2022 01:15 AM

I really liked the movie. Gritty feel and I'm looking forward to the sequel.

sully1983 04-24-2022 03:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Easy 6 (Post 16258941)
The Dark Knight didn't age well, lol thats news to me... TDK set the bar for everyone in every universe, and everyone else is just swimming in its wake IMO

Yeah, The Dark Knight was a cinematic game changer in terms of blockbuster movies (regardless of its comic book/super hero genre). There is a reason its in the top 10 rated IMDB movies. So many movies have tried to emulate it over the years.

I always thought Heath Ledger was an inspiring choice but I wasn't prepared for him to give such a legendary/ iconic performance. His performance as the Joker was one for the ages.
Kudos to Christopher Nolan for letting Ledger go all out with that one. It absolutely sucks about his tragic death.

cabletech94 04-24-2022 06:55 AM

I don’t normally complain about too many movies. I thought this was the worst Batman movie I’ve ever seen ( I liked the campy 90s , flame away ). I too, was about to turn it off halfway through. Hated the riddler. Hated the “extras” at the end. Hated the end inside Arkham, setting up the sequel. Car scene with the penguin was okay, if not “magical” lol. Maybe it’s my middle-agedness, I don’t know. Maybe I’m just not into Emo-Batman.
If you liked it, great I’m glad you do. But I didn’t go in expecting much, and that’s what I got.

5/10.

Molitoth 04-24-2022 07:22 AM

I liked it. I thought Pattinson was a really good choice for Batman.

No Batman will ever be as good as Nolan's versions, but this one tried and if Nolan didn't already do it, it would have been the best.

PS: the super unrealistic car chase scene where he jumped over the explosion... uhhh please stop doing this hollywood.

BigBeauford 04-24-2022 08:54 AM

Quote:

If an actor's talent is judged by their transformative ability to make us only see the character and not the actor, I can't think of a finer performance than Heath Ledger's Joker.

sully1983 04-24-2022 09:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by cabletech94 (Post 16259168)
I don’t normally complain about too many movies. I thought this was the worst Batman movie I’ve ever seen ( I liked the campy 90s , flame away ). I too, was about to turn it off halfway through. Hated the riddler. Hated the “extras” at the end. Hated the end inside Arkham, setting up the sequel. Car scene with the penguin was okay, if not “magical” lol. Maybe it’s my middle-agedness, I don’t know. Maybe I’m just not into Emo-Batman.
If you liked it, great I’m glad you do. But I didn’t go in expecting much, and that’s what I got.

5/10.

Enjoy Batman Forever then I guess. :LOL:

https://vignette.wikia.nocookie.net/...20140720231129

or if that's not campy enough for you, there's always Batman & Robin ROFL
https://actionagogo.com/wp-content/u...atmanRobin.jpg

BWillie 04-24-2022 09:36 AM

Quote:

I don't see how you could ever to the conclusion that a 12 year old movie such as this hasn't aged well. The TDK series set the bar for every dark/more realistic super hero movie after it.

sully1983 04-24-2022 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigBeauford (Post 16259240)
If an actor's talent is judged by their transformative ability to make us only see the character and not the actor, I can't think of a finer performance than Heath Ledger's Joker.

^^^
THIS!
I was in utter shock at his performance when I first saw it opening day way back in the summer of 2008. I kept thinking to myself "This is the same guy from A Knight's Tale?!" lol His voice was totally unrecognizable in The Dark Knight. Just masterful.

HC_Chief 04-24-2022 09:42 AM

Surprisingly good. DC have "trained" moviegoers to expect absolute shit, so when they produce something that isn't a steaming pile, it is refreshing.

I liked it. I REALLY liked the additional focus on Batman being a detective... thought that was well done, and it did not rely on goofy futuristic impossible technology to achieve it (see bullet reconstruction in the CB flicks).

Only groaners for me were any scenes where we are supposed to take Zoe 80lbs soaking wet Kravitz seriously in hand-to-hand combat (seriously, that would be like getting your ass kicked by a fourth grader), and the occasional injection of modern wokeisims, "WHITE rich blah blah blah" - let's get away from that nonsense, please. Those were minimal and really didn't adversely affect the movie as a whole IMO.

Gritty feel, a more realistic take on the subject, and additional focus on Batman being a detective = win. All of the actors did well in portraying their characters. RP is a bit too skinny to be Batman, but they didn't try to make him out to be a super strong martial arts badass. They played it well, with a combination of armor and gadgets, w/o going over the top.

Riddler was a complete serial killer psychopath, which I thought was great until they went into the "online streamer simp" angle. Probably could have trimmed that and just kept him as a psycho; rather than reveal his backstory, leave it as a bit of a mystery.

Editing could have trimmed runtime down by at least 30 minutes. That was a long movie. Still, I give it a thumbs up and would recommend it. It is a gritty take on the super hero genre, akin to Joker.

ThaVirus 04-24-2022 10:23 AM

**** you. Batman Forever is awesome.

Frazod 04-24-2022 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16259342)
**** you. Batman Forever is awesome.

Good God, man, I hope this is in jest. Batman Forever is Dune ‘84 level bad.

ThaVirus 04-24-2022 12:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16259491)
Good God, man, I hope this is in jest. Batman Forever is Dune ‘84 level bad.

I love it and that’s all that matters!

In all seriousness, I don’t pretend it’s good. I love Val Kilmer and Jim Carrey. It’s so campy. I love it.

MarkDavis'Haircut 04-24-2022 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16259509)

In all seriousness, I don’t pretend it’s good. I love Val Kilmer and Jim Carrey. It’s so campy. I love it.

Don't forget horny Nicole Kidman.

listopencil 04-24-2022 06:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Molitoth (Post 16259182)
I liked it. I thought Pattinson was a really good choice for Batman.

No Batman will ever be as good as Nolan's versions, but this one tried and if Nolan didn't already do it, it would have been the best.

PS: the super unrealistic car chase scene where he jumped over the explosion... uhhh please stop doing this hollywood.

There was a ramp in the pile up. Did you miss the ramp? That makes it OK.

listopencil 04-24-2022 06:25 PM

Anyway, I liked it. It was a good take on a younger version of Batman. The character has been portrayed as fully mature to somewhere around middle aged for quite a while in movies so this made it a bit fresher for me. The Penguin was great. The Riddler as a serial killer was a very, very good choice and elevated, in all honesty, a previously lame-ass villain. I was happy with Zoe Kravitz as Catwoman, she did well with it and the Bat/Cat relationship was done well.

It was still missing something though. It wasn't edge-of-your-seat exciting. It wasn't captivating and immersive for the entire run time of the movie. Maybe some editing could have tightened the thing up. But I enjoyed it and I'd like a sequel with Penguin.

KC_Connection 04-24-2022 07:02 PM

I just watched this. It's excessively long (some could probably be edited off the first hour), but still quite good and a different take on Batman than we've seen before. I'm interested to see this built on in further sequels.

Frazod 04-24-2022 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16259509)

My apologies, I confused the Kilmer Batman with the Clooney Batman.

While BF was a big step down from the Keaton/Burton movies, it was Citizen Kane compared to the odious Batman and Robin.

Pepe Silvia 04-24-2022 09:07 PM

Nygma, Edward Nygma.

Sure-Oz 04-24-2022 10:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC_Connection (Post 16260063)
I just watched this. It's excessively long (some could probably be edited off the first hour), but still quite good and a different take on Batman than we've seen before. I'm interested to see this built on in further sequels.

Same. This is like what a year 2 Batman basically?

Frazod 04-24-2022 10:28 PM

That sounds about right. Seems like he's done enough to impress some detective level cops, but the rank and file guys don't really know about it, and they both resent and fear him. Which kind of makes sense. Who's this creepy ****er in the bat costume, and why is he getting special access to the crime scene?

Sure-Oz 04-25-2022 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16260255)
That sounds about right. Seems like he's done enough to impress some detective level cops, but the rank and file guys don't really know about it, and they both resent and fear him. Which kind of makes sense. Who's this creepy ****er in the bat costume, and why is he getting special access to the crime scene?

Right lol...I'm excited to see how far in the future the sequel will be.

Tribal Warfare 04-27-2022 07:14 AM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Robert Pattinson and Zoë Kravitz will be back for The Batman&#39;s sequel, with director Matt Reeves also returning. 🦇 🐈 <a href="https://t.co/CeP1gW7xkS">https://t.co/CeP1gW7xkS</a> <a href="https://t.co/uV2INmlvlx">pic.twitter.com/uV2INmlvlx</a></p>&mdash; IGN (@IGN) <a href="https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1519100580999823360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 26, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ToxSocks 04-27-2022 09:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 16264071)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Robert Pattinson and Zoë Kravitz will be back for The Batman&#39;s sequel, with director Matt Reeves also returning. 🦇 🐈 <a href="https://t.co/CeP1gW7xkS">https://t.co/CeP1gW7xkS</a> <a href="https://t.co/uV2INmlvlx">pic.twitter.com/uV2INmlvlx</a></p>&mdash; IGN (@IGN) <a href="https://twitter.com/IGN/status/1519100580999823360?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 26, 2022</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

cool. I enjoyed it. Looking forward to the sequel.

Talisman 04-27-2022 09:58 AM

Not sure where we are with spoilers since this has been out for a while. I'm not going to wrap this, so proceed with some caution if you haven't seen it.

I caught this on HBO Max this week. It was... fine. I really liked the grittiness of Gotham and some of the cinematography was amazing. Great performance by Colin Farrell. Good performance by the rest of the cast. I didn't mind the dgaf/emo take on Batman. And I liked that they were trying to push the detective side of his persona.

My main problem with the whole movie was that it didn't feel like Batman really accomplished anything. He obviously has read a few riddle books, but outside of that, it feels like the police would have moved the investigation forward just as quickly without him. If anything, he was used by The Riddler to further his plan. Honestly, take Batman out of the movie. Does the outcome change? He didn't prevent any of the murders. He didn't prevent the assassination attempt on the incumbent mayor. He didn't prevent the flooding of the city. He didn't even catch the bad guy (who pretty much gave himself up). He... beat up some copy cats who had stranded themselves above an arena and moved one piece of metal to "rescue" some people while holding a flare.

It was way too long for the story it was presenting and got bogged down in surface level detective work that I imagine will be more boring on repeated views. But at least I brushed up on my Spanish definitive articles.

If they can learn a few things from this one, I'd definitely dive back into this world again. Great setting and atmosphere. I wouldn't mind them pushing things even more and going for the R rating. But I'm sure there's too much money to be made keeping it at PG-13 unfortunately.

unlurking 04-27-2022 05:58 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/2MOFBV_TnO4" title="YouTube video player" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; clipboard-write; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

sully1983 04-27-2022 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talisman (Post 16264363)
Not sure where we are with spoilers since this has been out for a while. I'm not going to wrap this, so proceed with some caution if you haven't seen it.

I caught this on HBO Max this week. It was... fine. I really liked the grittiness of Gotham and some of the cinematography was amazing. Great performance by Colin Farrell. Good performance by the rest of the cast. I didn't mind the dgaf/emo take on Batman. And I liked that they were trying to push the detective side of his persona.

My main problem with the whole movie was that it didn't feel like Batman really accomplished anything. He obviously has read a few riddle books, but outside of that, it feels like the police would have moved the investigation forward just as quickly without him. If anything, he was used by The Riddler to further his plan. Honestly, take Batman out of the movie. Does the outcome change? He didn't prevent any of the murders. He didn't prevent the assassination attempt on the incumbent mayor. He didn't prevent the flooding of the city. He didn't even catch the bad guy (who pretty much gave himself up). He... beat up some copy cats who had stranded themselves above an arena and moved one piece of metal to "rescue" some people while holding a flare.

It was way too long for the story it was presenting and got bogged down in surface level detective work that I imagine will be more boring on repeated views. But at least I brushed up on my Spanish definitive articles.

If they can learn a few things from this one, I'd definitely dive back into this world again. Great setting and atmosphere. I wouldn't mind them pushing things even more and going for the R rating. But I'm sure there's too much money to be made keeping it at PG-13 unfortunately.

IMHO I gotta disagree with the notion that this Batman "didn't accomplish anything ". That couldn't be farther from the truth. He saved plenty of lives in this film (him risking his life to save that little boy life from a car running him over. In The Batman,Bruce Wayne is only in year 2 of being Batman and is still "wet behind the ears" and inexperienced / just getting used to the role of being Batman, so of course he wouldn't be some seasoned detective/ crime fighter. He is flawed to the core and beyond ****ed in the head. The use of the word "emo" to describe Pattinson's take of Bruce Wayne just doesn't sit right with me. Anyone that identifies as an emo wouldn't have the balls to fight for any sort of justice.

Also, your criticism of this Batman being "used" like a pawn by the Riddler is definitely true. But imo that was the director's point. The Riddler had been planning all that horrible shit from the get go (you can definitely tell Matt Reeves was heavily influenced by Nolan's The Dark Knight where the Joker was 10 steps ahead of Bale's Batman and the entire Gotham police force. )

I look forward to the sequel!

staylor26 04-27-2022 09:06 PM

Yea, a lot of the complaints I see about this movie seem to have one theme.

Misunderstanding.

Talisman 04-28-2022 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sully1983 (Post 16265601)
IMHO I gotta disagree with the notion that this Batman "didn't accomplish anything ". That couldn't be farther from the truth. He saved plenty of lives in this film (him risking his life to save that little boy life from a car running him over. In The Batman,Bruce Wayne is only in year 2 of being Batman and is still "wet behind the ears" and inexperienced / just getting used to the role of being Batman, so of course he wouldn't be some seasoned detective/ crime fighter. He is flawed to the core and beyond ****ed in the head. The use of the word "emo" to describe Pattinson's take of Bruce Wayne just doesn't sit right with me. Anyone that identifies as an emo wouldn't have the balls to fight for any sort of justice.

Also, your criticism of this Batman being "used" like a pawn by the Riddler is definitely true. But imo that was the director's point. The Riddler had been planning all that horrible shit from the get go (you can definitely tell Matt Reeves was heavily influenced by Nolan's The Dark Knight where the Joker was 10 steps ahead of Bale's Batman and the entire Gotham police force. )

I look forward to the sequel!

I was trying to remember the part where Batman saved a boy from getting hit by a car and then I realized you were talking about the funeral where Bruce Wayne did it. Semantics, but another mark for "Batman" not accomplishing much.

I get that The Riddler using him was part of the overall plot and plan. It's been done before in a number of movies where our hero doesn't realize he's being used and the bad guy is one step ahead. It's just that normally, the hero bests the villain by the end of the movie (or you wait for a year for End Game to come out). In this case Batman didn't even catch the guy. He just gave himself up. But I guess if you're going to steal most of Kevin Spacey's character from Seven, might as well keep the part where he basically turns himself in to finish his plan from custody.

Overall, it wasn't bad. Just flawed. I too look forward to the sequel. Like you said, it was set early in Batman's crime fighting career, so we'll see what the next one brings.

ThaVirus 04-28-2022 09:03 AM

It's an interesting conversation and I can see where you're coming from.

It reminds me of some debates I used to have with a group of friends who didn't like Spider-Man and Superman because they were "always getting their ass beat". Like they aren't cool superheroes with good movies because they don't just come in, kick ass and go home every time they're on screen.

Personally, I enjoy my heroes facing some adversity.

This is a young Batman still learning how to be a hero. The Riddler's whole deal is that he's super intelligent. It stands to reason that he'd be way ahead of Batman this whole movie.

sully1983 04-28-2022 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Talisman (Post 16266047)
I was trying to remember the part where Batman saved a boy from getting hit by a car and then I realized you were talking about the funeral where Bruce Wayne did it. Semantics, but another mark for "Batman" not accomplishing much.

I get that The Riddler using him was part of the overall plot and plan. It's been done before in a number of movies where our hero doesn't realize he's being used and the bad guy is one step ahead. It's just that normally, the hero bests the villain by the end of the movie (or you wait for a year for End Game to come out). In this case Batman didn't even catch the guy. He just gave himself up. But I guess if you're going to steal most of Kevin Spacey's character from Seven, might as well keep the part where he basically turns himself in to finish his plan from custody.

Overall, it wasn't bad. Just flawed. I too look forward to the sequel. Like you said, it was set early in Batman's crime fighting career, so we'll see what the next one brings.

+1 for referencing my favorite film of all time that is Se7en:thumb:

And I definitely agree with ya that The Batman is flawed (could have done without the Riddler copy cats near the finale of the film.)

I did really like how this Batman was beating himself up thru out the movie (mentally ) realizing how the Riddler outsmarted him. While he didn't care about dying, he was incredibly vulnerable with what was going on around him.

Similar to transformation & character development of the lead ape Caesar(played brilliantly by Andy Serkis) in those Planet of the Apes sequels that were directed by Matt Reeves, I have no doubt Pattinson's Batman/Bruce Wayne will be further developed in a great way.

ThaVirus 05-10-2022 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16258748)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Halfcan (Post 16258809)

Just as I suspected, Strange 2 crossed $450 million globally in its opening weekend. The Batman only hit $270 globally in its opening weekend.

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-of...ce-1235261478/

Quote:

The second “Doctor Strange” film, starring Benedict Cumberbatch as the goatee-rocking sorcerer, generated $185 million in North America over the weekend, bringing its global tally to a massive $450 million.
A Marvel C-lister is outperforming DC's A-lister.

Mr. Plow 05-10-2022 09:09 AM

Finally saw this last week. Decent film. I enjoyed it, but didn't feel like it was anything great.

Rams Fan 05-10-2022 11:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16288484)
Just as I suspected, Strange 2 crossed $450 million globally in its opening weekend. The Batman only hit $270 globally in its opening weekend.

https://variety.com/2022/film/box-of...ce-1235261478/

A Marvel C-lister is outperforming DC's A-lister.

That has more to do with Marvel spending the past 10+ years of putting out a majority of above average films while DC can't get its shit together past the Dark Knight Series and has only produced a handful of decent or good movies (Joker, MoS, Aquaman, WW, Suicide Squad, Birds of Prey, The Batman).

Everything else has been mid or bad. Honestly, if they didn't **** up Batman vs Superman so bad, I think we'd have a different discussion on comparing Batman vs MCU in terms of $.

But yes, in terms of citing wokeness as to why DC would surpass Marvel is incredibly ****ing stupid. DC won't pass Marvel anytime soon in terms of $$$ at theaters until they get their shit together and figure out WTF they're doing.

I think they should be fine if they don't try to rush creating a universe again and keep the WW, Aquaman, Batman entities separate.

Chitownchiefsfan 05-10-2022 11:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 16288623)
That has more to do with Marvel spending the past 10+ years of putting out a majority of above average films while DC can't get its shit together past the Dark Knight Series and has only produced a handful of decent or good movies (Joker, MoS, Aquaman, WW, Suicide Squad, Birds of Prey, The Batman).

Everything else has been mid or bad. Honestly, if they didn't **** up Batman vs Superman so bad, I think we'd have a different discussion on comparing Batman vs MCU in terms of $.

But yes, in terms of citing wokeness as to why DC would surpass Marvel is incredibly ****ing stupid. DC won't pass Marvel anytime soon in terms of $$$ at theaters until they get their shit together and figure out WTF they're doing.

I think they should be fine if they don't try to rush creating a universe again and keep the WW, Aquaman, Batman entities separate.

The "go woke go broke" crowd only works if you ignore all of the "woke" movies that make a shit ton of money.

It's more like "make shitty movies" go broke.

ThaVirus 05-10-2022 12:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rams Fan (Post 16288623)

This is all that needs to be said.

I don't give a shit about this superhero vs that superhero, I don't give a shit about Marvel vs DC, I don't give a shit about Disney policies.

I only wanted to highlight how ****ing stupid Halfcan and the "wOkE" crowd's argument is.

ThaVirus 05-10-2022 12:16 PM

I just can't imagine making the "Disney is on the decline from going woke" argument literally a month after Spider-Man hit $2 billion. Now we see Strange 2 reaching $450 million globally in its first four days while Batman only hit $270 million in its first four days. It was a stupid ****ing argument then and it's a stupid ****ing argument now.

The fact of the matter is, these dipshits are not nearly as powerful as they think they are. These ****ers were crying about the kneeling a few years back and now they're crying about something about Disney (I still don't even know what..). The NFL is bigger and more popular now than it's ever been and same thing with Disney.

I'd just really enjoy coming into one of these threads without these ****ers cocking it up with their anti-woke bullshit. Nobody cares, just shut the **** up and enjoy the movie!

MarkDavis'Haircut 05-10-2022 12:50 PM

Some people just can't handle different opinions appearing in a thread.

Rams Fan 05-10-2022 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Carr4MVP (Post 16288735)
Some people just can't handle different opinions appearing in a thread.

Except Halfcan's opinion is literally without merit given that MCU movies are still wiping the floor with DC in the box office.

Majority of people will spend their money and not boycott a movie if they think it's good.

You and Halfcan can take your shit back to DC(the forum).

Which if Halfcan's talking about wokeness, the character of Catwoman in The Batman is a social class critique-specifically the ending of the movie (!).

DC movies for the most part have been dog shit because Warner Bros. has interfered heavily and wanted to rush the launch of Justice League. Their movies are fine when they focus on individual characters. Joker, The Batman, Aquaman, Wonder Woman are all good movies. Why? Because they just focus on the leads and nothing else.

Marvel, on the other hand, has brilliantly built out its universe over the past 14 years. There's no fair way for DC to compete unless Marvel botches or ceases production.

DC still kicks Marvel's ass in animation, for big screen, it's so far behind. And Marvel being woke has nothing to do with that.

Jesus ****ing Christ you guys like to bitch about nothing.

Just Passin' By 05-10-2022 01:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16288688)
I just can't imagine making the "Disney is on the decline from going woke" argument literally a month after Spider-Man hit $2 billion. Now we see Strange 2 reaching $450 million globally in its first four days while Batman only hit $270 million in its first four days. It was a stupid ****ing argument then and it's a stupid ****ing argument now.

The fact of the matter is, these dipshits are not nearly as powerful as they think they are. These ****ers were crying about the kneeling a few years back and now they're crying about something about Disney (I still don't even know what..). The NFL is bigger and more popular now than it's ever been and same thing with Disney.

I'd just really enjoy coming into one of these threads without these ****ers cocking it up with their anti-woke bullshit. Nobody cares, just shut the **** up and enjoy the movie!

Spider man is Sony.

Frazod 05-10-2022 01:49 PM

Frankly I preferred the last Batman to all the Marvel stuff. Tired of the superpowers/gods/aliens overload.

But I'm an old fart, and clearly not part of Marvel's target demographic. I know I'm in the minority. Don't care.

Just Passin' By 05-12-2022 01:29 PM

It wasn't as bad as Clooney's version.

Frazod 05-12-2022 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 16291670)
It wasn't as bad as Clooney's version.

Watching mold grow on bread isn't as bad as Clooney's version.

Just Passin' By 05-13-2022 01:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 16292092)
Watching mold grow on bread isn't as bad as Clooney's version.

It was the most positive review I could give it. The movie is dog shit, but it's still not as bad as the Clooney version.

Frazod 05-13-2022 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Just Passin' By (Post 16292464)
It was the most positive review I could give it. The movie is dog shit, but it's still not as bad as the Clooney version.

We'll just have to agree to disagree. I really liked it.

listopencil 05-14-2022 06:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 16264071)

Nice to see Kravitz is coming back. I liked her Catwoman. She played off of Pattinson well. I'd like to see what Pattinson can do with a more emotionally mature version of his character as well.

Tribal Warfare 05-15-2022 10:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by listopencil (Post 16293748)
Nice to see Kravitz is coming back. I liked her Catwoman. She played off of Pattinson well. I'd like to see what Pattinson can do with a more emotionally mature version of his character as well.

Rumors were they were banging onset

Buehler445 05-15-2022 11:09 PM

Finally saw it.

It was different but good. I can’t believe no one mentioned the cinematography. Some shots in there were all timers man. There was some really good shit in there. It was nice to see some real thought put into the cinematography. The hallway scene lit by muzzle flare, the car coming through the fire, the flare in the water, all tremendous shots. Iconic even.

Kravitz was good. Pattinson was good. I didn’t dig the My Chemical Romance hair he had going but whatever. Ferrell and Wright were both excellent. Overall the casting and performances were great. I have trouble separating the performance from production, but Kravitz and Pattinson had really good chemistry. And the whole motorcycle competition thing they had was good. In virtually any other hands it’s a bag of shit. But it worked here. Not sure why.

The writing, especially for Bruce Wayne’s dialogue spartan as it may be was really good. I laughed at “You could have pulled that punch.” “I did.” For an hour. It’s one thing to be the strong silent type, it’s another thing to do it well and this did. That’s an accomplishment.

That being said plot holds abound. Which is fine. But they’re there. It was also really ****ing dark for 3 hours. I mean I appreciate what they tried to do with the light, shining it on Zoe Kravitz identifying her as the light in his life and the new dawn after the fight. All really good filmmaking choices. But man. It was dark for 3 ****ing hours.

Overall this is a very heady piece for a superhero flick.

listopencil 05-17-2022 09:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 16295608)

Well, yeah, if Pattinson had the chance to do it with her and didn't then he's gay. Really, really, gay.

sully1983 05-17-2022 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tribal Warfare (Post 16295608)

Wouldn't surprise me at all since Zoe Kravitz seems to be have passed around by damn every white actor in Hollywood.

Also, getting back to Matt Reeves' planned trilogy. All I got to say is THANK GOD! I don't want to see this Batman team up with Aquadouchebro or that little twink pussy that is the Flash (and who's career is probably over before the age of 30LMAO)

Reeves' Planet of the Apes sequels were incredible and I have no doubt he's gonna make a couple of great sequels to add to The Batman.

Prison Bitch 05-21-2022 01:06 PM

Just finished it with my 9 year old who loved it. Cinematography was great, personally I prefer Pattinson to the prior actors. Keaton was a dreadful Batman IMO

Obv this wasn’t close to Joker. I wonder why they didn’t ask Phoenix to do the cameo. He IS Joker for all time, sorry Nicholson and Ledger fans.

I did enjoy Catlady tossing in the “white privilege” sermon halfway thru. Really added to the movie! It was a critical piece of dialogue (not)

Coochie liquor 05-22-2022 05:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 16302304)
Just finished it with my 9 year old who loved it. Cinematography was great, personally I prefer Pattinson to the prior actors. Keaton was a dreadful Batman IMO

Obv this wasn’t close to Joker. I wonder why they didn’t ask Phoenix to do the cameo. He IS Joker for all time, sorry Nicholson and Ledger fans.

I did enjoy Catlady tossing in the “white privilege” sermon halfway thru. Really added to the movie! It was a critical piece of dialogue (not)

PB, and his 9 year old heading to the theatre...

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...c59a3aee61.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Coochie liquor 05-22-2022 08:53 PM

Did anyone else find the after credits scene?

Spoiler!

Buehler445 05-22-2022 10:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Coochie liquor (Post 16303437)
Did anyone else find the after credits scene?

Spoiler!

I saw it.

Not real sure what to think of it.

Mephistopheles Janx 06-10-2022 12:53 AM

Finally watched it.

Pattinson, as Bruce Wayne, was awful. Dude looked like the lead singer of an Emo band from 2002. Zero charisma and a petulant little ****boy towards Alfred until he got blown up.

As The Bat... he did better than I expected from him other than his frame not lending itself to Batman. Not that Batman needs to look like Dave Bautista but there was no way someone with his frame was hitting people as hard as he was.

I did enjoy how we got to see a bunch of villains in this movie but there was only one main baddie. I loved the motorcycle and the new Batmobile. I also enjoyed that they took their time and didn't rush to tell the story.

One thing that managed to take me out of the movie happened really early on and that is when all the face painted guys were accosting the dude that got off the train. They had just done a bunch of exposition on how everyone feared the dark because of him. Then Batty rolls up and lead painted face guy says something to the effect of "who do you think you are?"

Bro, are you serious??? There is a light that gets pointed at the sky with a bat in the middle... there is a dude in front of you wearing a bat costume and you know there has been a guy running around Gotham for 2 years now beating the shit out of bad guys.

BWillie 06-10-2022 01:20 AM

Kravitz daughter was amazing. I was a tad disappointed with Pattinson. I dont know that it was his fault, he played the part the writers wanted but that just wasn't Batman to me.

staylor26 06-10-2022 09:43 AM

More people that don’t understand the purpose of the portrayal of Bruce Wayne in this movie

:facepalm:

He’s not supposed to be charismatic. He let’s you know at the very beginning of the movie that he is a “nocturnal animal” for a reason. Bruce Wayne is his “mask”, and he doesn’t yet understand the purpose/benefits of being Bruce Wayne for his overall mission.

ThaVirus 06-10-2022 10:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16327860)
More people that don’t understand the purpose of the portrayal of Bruce Wayne in this movie

:facepalm:

He’s not supposed to be charismatic. He let’s you know at the very beginning of the movie that he is a “nocturnal animal” for a reason. Bruce Wayne is his “mask”, and he doesn’t yet understand the purpose/benefits of being Bruce Wayne for his overall mission.

Have to agree. It's clear that this was supposed to be a young, inexperienced Batman.

Batman's got like 70 years of source material to pull from. Bruce Wayne, Batman, his rogues, etc. will not always be exactly the same in every movie. People have a difficult time understanding that for some reason.

They did the same complaining about Spider-Man being an Iron Man understudy in his latest trilogy.

staylor26 06-10-2022 10:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16327917)
Have to agree. It's clear that this was supposed to be a young, inexperienced Batman.

Batman's got like 70 years of source material to pull from. Bruce Wayne, Batman, his rogues, etc. will not always be exactly the same in every movie. People have a difficult time understanding that for some reason.

They did the same complaining about Spider-Man being an Iron Man understudy in his latest trilogy.

There’s also a reason they call him “Vengeance” and not the Batman. Not only is he not the Bruce Wayne we are used to, he’s not even the heroic Batman we’re used to either.

It’s his entire arc in the movie and it’s amazing how people don’t understand it was purposeful and makes sense given what they were going for.

ThaVirus 06-10-2022 10:33 AM

Robert Pattinson... is Batman.

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16327919)
There’s also a reason they call him “Vengeance” and not the Batman. Not only is he not the Bruce Wayne we are used to, he’s not even the heroic Batman we’re used to either.

It’s his entire arc in the movie and it’s amazing how people don’t understand it was purposeful and makes sense given what they were going for.

I have to imagine that it’s less that they don’t understand it was the direction taken with this rendition and more that they just didn’t like it and have trouble articulating that.

Idk. That’s what I hope it is anyway, because there should not be this much gnashing of teeth over what was clearly the goal here: convey a younger, more brash Bat. He’s new to the job and obsessed. He thinks he can solve the city’s problems with his fists.

Don’t be surprised when we see a more polished Bat and involved Bruce Wayne in coming installments.

unlurking 06-10-2022 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ThaVirus (Post 16327943)
I have to imagine that it’s less that they don’t understand it was the direction taken with this rendition and more that they just didn’t like it and have trouble articulating that.

Idk. That’s what I hope it is anyway, because there should not be this much gnashing of teeth over what was clearly the goal here: convey a younger, more brash Bat. He’s new to the job and obsessed. He thinks he can solve the city’s problems with his fists.

Don’t be surprised when we see a more polished Bat and involved Bruce Wayne in coming installments.

I don't know, most people that didn't like it have said they don't like the "emo-douche" portrayal. We (I) would have been happy with a young, inexperienced, rageful Batman. What we (I) didn't like was another Kylo Ren or Anakin.

Regardless of source material, it's just not a character I like, and I'm fine with that. There's so much content in this genre that I don't mind not liking this one. I'll wait for the next Batman trilogy, as I loved the last one.

staylor26 06-10-2022 11:27 AM

To each his own, but I fully disagree that this is like a Kyle Ren or Anakin Skywalker situation.

By the end of the movie, he’s grown into a different character all together, and he will clearly be a different Bruce Wayne and Batman in the next movie.