ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Life Dental experiences with O.City (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=327128)

Jewish Rabbi 12-05-2019 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 14636075)
It’s amazing that someone who knows so much about gums and gingivitis has so many questionable takes on the Chiefs.

It’s like learning Mahomo is a Greek shipping magnate or UChieffyBugger is Gary Glitter.

I mean, I’m pretty sure Ubeja shares certain characteristics with Gary Glitter.

GloryDayz 12-05-2019 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Eleazar (Post 14634639)
Hah! Cool stories, you should make this a whole series O.city.

Agree, "The O.city Chronicles" could be epic...

O.city 12-05-2019 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TwistedChief (Post 14636075)
It’s amazing that someone who knows so much about gums and gingivitis has so many questionable takes on the Chiefs.

It’s like learning Mahomo is a Greek shipping magnate or UChieffyBugger is Gary Glitter.

Lol

O.city 12-05-2019 07:53 PM

I’ll try to keep it going

I’ve got some good stories in my short time as a dentist I’ll share with you guys later tonight

Rain Man 12-05-2019 08:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14635791)
You just like to floss shame.

Side note - my dentist got a whizz-bang water scraper thing about 4-5 years ago and asked me if I wanted to use that instead of the metal pick. Oh hell yes, I'll try anything instead of that damn metal pick.

I love it; high pitched whir I can ignore well enough and nowhere near as much agony. They get the last few spots they couldn't hit with the metal one but I don't have a screaming headache and bloody mouth anymore.

But now I specifically have to ask them to use it. They don't mention it and my wife doesn't even realize they have it. They do - it exists and they're happy to fire it up if I ask them to. Is there any reason why it seems to have fallen out of favor or do you figure this particular office just had enough patients who didn't like it that it's not at the front of their mind.

I just had that done yesterday. I wasn't particularly a fan of it, though it was better than the ultrasonic thing that sadistic hygienists have tried on me on the past.

I really like the little metal picks. Plain old-fashioned hand cleaning. The personal attention makes me feel like a Roman emperor or something.

SupDock 12-05-2019 08:17 PM

https://eatliver.b-cdn.net/wp-conten...8/12/floss.jpg

DJ's left nut 12-05-2019 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 14636016)
This thread is awesome and cringeworthy at the same time.

TAKE A ****ING BLADE AND JAM IT IN THERE UNTIL IT DRAINS OR YOU HIT BONE.

Soothing ****ing words to read the day before a dentist appointment.

Whatever you do, do NOT talk to an orthopedic surgeon about work.

"Yeah, I couldn't get that rod in place so I just took a hammer and hit the shit out of it...."

I'm easier on cabinets than they are on your body when you're under anesthesia.

Buehler445 12-05-2019 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14636194)
Whatever you do, do NOT talk to an orthopedic surgeon about work.

"Yeah, I couldn't get that rod in place so I just took a hammer and hit the shit out of it...."

I'm easier on cabinets than they are on your body when you're under anesthesia.

Yeah. Mom and Dad both have both their knees replaced. So some jackass made the mistake of youtubing the procedure.

Holy hell. Those are the same damn tools I have in the shop.

O.city 12-05-2019 08:29 PM

https://www.instagram.com/p/B5dE44sA...=10vwbuak1nxez

Here’s a video of your favorite ultrasonic scaler

DJ's left nut 12-05-2019 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 14636206)
Yeah. Mom and Dad both have both their knees replaced. So some jackass made the mistake of youtubing the procedure.

Holy hell. Those are the same damn tools I have in the shop.

Yuuuup.

They'll break out a no-shit Dewalt reciprocating saw and cut into your leg with it.

Just...better to not know.

DJ's left nut 12-05-2019 08:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14636215)
https://www.instagram.com/p/B5dE44sA...=10vwbuak1nxez

Here’s a video of your favorite ultrasonic scaler

See how much less god-awful that looks? You just hold it there like a sprayer knocking the spaghetti sauce of a plate instead of jabbing a jagged metal hook into your gums and scraping until your gums bleed.

The difference between that scraper and the things medieval executioners used to disembowel the condemned is size. That's it.

We have technology lads - use it.

O.city 12-05-2019 08:41 PM

I watched an Oral Surgeon one day take out 4 wisdom teeth, surgically cutting them out, in about 20 minutes total. When patients are sedated, you gotta be moving quickly.

O.city 12-05-2019 08:52 PM

Technology in dentistry is definitely advancing at a crazy rate. Digital xrays are a big thing I have and they're so worth it (those little bastard sensors aren't cheap though) just for the speed. Don't have to have a dark room, uploads right to the screen.

Digital impression taking for crown and bridge is really interesting. In office milling machines and cad cam tech is taking off, but damn, it's hard for me to justify the price of those damn things. I have a scanner, but I dont' mill my own stuff. Just send it to the lab and let them do it.

With the advancements in 3d printing, things are just taking off. I'll see if I can find some cool videos to show some stuff on it.

O.city 12-05-2019 08:58 PM

One of my close buddies from dental school is an oral surgeon now, after another 6 years of school post dental school and a residency (**** that, no way). Some of the stuff he sends us even makes me a bit queasy. For the most part it's implants and wisdom teeth extractions, but he does some stuff at the hospital with cancer docs and reconstruction stuff and it's wild.

Eleazar 12-05-2019 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 14635783)
It's just part of the routine. Honestly.

I say the same 3 or 4 conversation starters to every patient. Then we talk about something else to pass a few seconds, then I check them out then off we go.

True story about my last visit a few weeks ago -

I'm in the chair and the hygenist is about to get to work. She introduces herself and then starts the small talk. Her opener was "Did you hear about that school shooting in California yesterday?"

She didn't just do a casual mention of it either, her idea for conversation was to discuss the whole event in detail.

I casually asked to schedule my next appt with a different one when I left ROFL