ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football NFL MVP... Brees or Mahomes (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=319001)

Imon Yourside 11-21-2018 12:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 13908514)
Thats my point, what other "MVP" QB has a record like his?

I just saying just because guy has put up stats like no other doesnt mean he has delivered when it mattered.

You don't give MVP to someone because of the history of his play with the current year added in.

The reason Drew Brees has never won MVP is because he never deserved it. Maybe this year he does, but there is no way in hell if Pat throws 50+ TD's that he will deserve it over Pat.

Go figure as soon as Saints get two ALL-PRO backs his completion percentage goes up.

I guess we need to put a Dome on Arrowhead and learn some clock management. Maybe bring Alex back to teach Mahomes it's ok to check it down SOMETIMES. I did say Sometimes so please don't go ballistic, I know at this point we all want to err on the side of aggression.

AssEaterChief 11-21-2018 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 13908073)
I'm glad the Todd Gurley for MVP talk has subsided.

This is down to 3 candidates IMHO.

Patrick Mahomes
Drew Brees
Andrew Luck

I think the next month separates them.

I think that is really unfortunate...the Rams offense isn't the same without him and running the ball is already devalued.

There is like 5 QBs having MVP type seasons...it just isn't special any more to see these gaudy numbers.

With that being said, I would go for Brees and that 25:1 TD:INT ratio

Amnorix 11-21-2018 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 13908494)
112 - Wins
80 - Loses

That is the Saints with Drew Brees, there are a ton of VALID REASONS he has never won MVP before.

Let's face it, he's been a top five QB in pretty much every year of his career, but some years he was blocked by an unimpressive W-L record that was mostly caused by pathetic defenses, and other years was blocked by two QBs that are generally considered top five EVER -- Manning and Brady.

patteeu 11-21-2018 01:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Amnorix (Post 13908604)
Let's face it, he's been a top five QB in pretty much every year of his career, but some years he was blocked by an unimpressive W-L record that was mostly caused by pathetic defenses, and other years was blocked by two QBs that are generally considered top five EVER -- Manning and Brady.

Mahomes is bumping both of them down a notch. :)

kcxiv 11-21-2018 01:19 PM

Still alot of season left. Mahomes could have a bad game or 2 and so could Brees. Too early.

chiefzilla1501 11-21-2018 01:47 PM

Easily mahomes. But barring some collapse, I think Monday night sealed it in the voters' eyes. I don't like it, but that's probably the case.

That's unfortunate. If Reid was belichick, mahomes would be destroying passing records. And brees will end the season with barely a cold weather challenge.

ToxSocks 11-21-2018 01:57 PM

They'll give it to Brees no doubt. They'll look at the turnovers from Mahomes and say Brees was better, despite less yardage and way less TD's.

They'll also ignore the fact that Drew Brees is a check down king. He makes his hay with receivers picking up big YAC, much like Alex Smith.

I remember seeing the metric chart a few weeks ago illustrating that Brees is right there with the likes of Smith and Carr in short yardage passing.

Of course no on in the National media will give a flying **** about that, not when it comes to Brees of course.

ToxSocks 11-21-2018 01:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 13908692)
That's unfortunate. If Reid was belichick, mahomes would be destroying passing records.

Huh? Dafuq you talkin' 'bout Willis.

tk13 11-21-2018 02:10 PM

You guys have turned into homer city. You're really stretching on some of this Brees stuff. Those four years Brees went 7-9 his defenses ranked 31st, 28th, 31st and 32nd. If I'm not mistaken that defense that finished 32nd set the NFL record for yards allowed. That is horrible.

There have been nine 5000 yard passing seasons in the history of the NFL, and Brees has five of them. Nobody else has done it more than once. He has a legit shot to post 80,000 career passing yards and 550 career TD... and doing that while having the highest completion percentage in the history of the NFL. You can argue he's the best passing QB to ever play the game.

ToxSocks 11-21-2018 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 13908737)
You guys have turned into homer city. You're really stretching on some of this Brees stuff. Those four years Brees went 7-9 his defenses ranked 31st, 28th, 31st and 32nd. If I'm not mistaken that defense that finished 32nd set the NFL record for yards allowed. That is horrible.

There have been nine 5000 yard passing seasons in the history of the NFL, and Brees has five of them. Nobody else has done it more than once. He has a legit shot to post 80,000 career passing yards and 550 career TD... and doing that while having the highest completion percentage in the history of the NFL. You can argue he's the best passing QB to ever play the game.

That's nice and all, but we're talking about THIS season. Not a career body of work. The award is for THIS season.

JakeF 11-21-2018 02:13 PM

Brees will get it. Mahomes really hurt his chances against the Rams.

CoMoChief 11-21-2018 02:13 PM

I think they should scrap the MVP award all together. It's basically just a QB award now.

Go back last decade, and only nonQB to win the award was Adrian Peterson in 2012. We all know the most important position on the field is QB.

patteeu 11-21-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 13908737)

Mahomes' defense is currently 30th, but he's already got 9 wins on the season.

tk13 11-21-2018 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13908740)
That's nice and all, but we're talking about THIS season. Not a career body of work. The award is for THIS season.

I agree, but people are up here talking about Brees being the king of going 7-9, not deserving of an MVP.

chiefzilla1501 11-21-2018 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 13908715)
Huh? Dafuq you talkin' 'bout Willis.

Imagine mahomes' numbers if Reid wasn't afraid to blow teams out. Belichick runs up the score. Reid doesn't. If we ran up the score mahomes would have even more yards and TDs.