ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Clark Hunt, Brett Veach & Andy Reid press conference (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=308903)

Chiefnj2 07-26-2017 11:55 AM

February 3, 2017:

“Both he [Dorsey] and Andy ... I would expect to sit down with them over the course of the next year and sit down and talk about an extension,” Hunt said. “Let me frame it this way: I’m very satisfied with the job both of them have done, and I really like the way the two of them have worked together.”

“John, the job he’s done in building depth and competition on the roster — and I think those were areas we were probably weak in when he joined the franchise — I think that’s made a very big difference for us,” Hunt said. “Certainly, a number of his draft picks have played well. Not only first-round guys, but guys down through the rounds.

How things change after you negotiate an extension with Andy Reid.

RealSNR 07-26-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 12974514)
Sorry, but it appears to me that Reid has all the power. Why would any GM want to come to a place where he has so little power?

Who cares? We hired a guy. We interviewed a bunch of candidates from outside the organization, too. Why the hell would they have interviewed if they didn't want the job?

Clark said Veach has the same "final say" that John Dorsey did. Andy has said he just wants to coach.

Not everything in the NFL has to be a goddamn conspiracy theory.

BlackOp 07-26-2017 12:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 12974593)
Normally the head coach would be responsible to the GM and the GM responsible for all aspects of football to the owner. But with the coaching staff out of his control he's not really a full GM, not as much of a GM as others around the league are, at any rate.

Generally, the GM picks the HC...much like Pioli chose Haley..or Horseface chose Kubiak/fired Fox.

Reid was hired before Dorsey...then fat Scott was canned.

Reid was just signed on to a 5 year extension...that, in itself, tells you the new GM wouldn't have the usual amount of control in shaping the direction of the team. He couldn't fire Reid...

I still stand by my assertion that Dorsey, by the way the power hierarchy was assembled, was forced into a passive-aggressive situation from the start. He couldn't make tough personnel moves with impunity...I'm not convinced he wanted to resign Berry or was 100% on board with the Maclin signing. He never had the autonomy/final say to build the team in his vision...

Dorsey is going to build another team.. and win a SB...Reid is going to have his feel good locker room.

RealSNR 07-26-2017 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 12974711)

I still stand by my assertion that Dorsey, by the way the power hierarchy was assembled, was forced into a passive-aggressive situation from the start. He couldn't make tough personnel moves with impunity...I'm not convinced he wanted to resign Berry or was 100% on board with the Maclin signing. He never had the autonomy/final say to build the team in his vision...

If felt he didn't have the autonomy to build the team in his vision, it's not because Andy Reid was usurping him.

BlackOp 07-26-2017 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12974719)
If felt he didn't have the autonomy to build the team in his vision, it's not because Andy Reid was usurping him.

Andy would be unsurping him if they signed Berry/Maclin against his judgement...I stand by my observation that by signing Logan to a 8 million guaranteed contract, he forced Maclin out, financially. Dorsey knew where they stood on the cap...it was a passive/aggressive move to build the team the way he wanted. Berry signed in Feb, his cap hit was a measly $5 mil this year...Logan signed two weeks later. They knew they were strapped...and were spending money on a FA they didn't have.

Where was Dorsey expecting to make up this 8 million dollar void? It was the right move...unless the HC views that player as his child and gets you fired for it.

JakeF 07-26-2017 01:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12974669)
Who cares? We hired a guy. We interviewed a bunch of candidates from outside the organization, too. Why the hell would they have interviewed if they didn't want the job?

Clark said Veach has the same "final say" that John Dorsey did. Andy has said he just wants to coach.

Not everything in the NFL has to be a goddamn conspiracy theory.

I think that all Chiefs' fans should care about whether our current GM got the job because he's the best candidate versus the only candidate who would take a partial GM position. Most candidates will interview for a job because it gets their name out there even if they aren't really going to get the job. That's the concept for the Rooney Rule, get name exposure so that you get another job later on.

Apparently, Dorsey didn't have much of a final say because he got fired for making moves without approval. It doesn't have to be a conspiracy for an organization to keep the real reasons for moves in-house. The power structure started out with Hunt followed by Dorsey/Reid on the same level. No way it's still that way, it's now Hunt ---> Reid ---> Veach.

Very little doubt in my mind that Reid played some part in Dorsey getting fired. If Hunt didn't like Dorsey then it shouldn't have been a last minute decision so why not make the move earlier and keep Ballard? No, the timetable indicates that Reid's contract extension initiated Dorsey's demise.

Just an opinion, but I believe that Reid wants control of the team and Dorsey got fired because of it. Once a person gets a taste for power they rarely want to give it up afterward. Reid had all the power in Philly and even though he doesn't have the title here he has the power again. Veach will take care of the day-to-day issues and scouting but when it comes time to the real decisions Reid will tell Veach what he wants to be done.

DaneMcCloud 07-26-2017 01:16 PM

https://www.cbssports.com/nfl/news/w...es-in-the-nfl/

Why old-school 'super-scout' GMs are an endangered species in the NFL

We can all agree this is a copycat league, and all of a sudden it seems increasingly clear that old-school GMs, the gruff, film-driven scouts who were in vogue not too long ago, are no longer as attractive. These are the GMs who logged extensive years on the road viewing players but have less polish and panache and aren't as adept at communicating with co-workers or dealing with the media as they are breaking down tape.

Instead, owners seem to be gravitating to a style they find more CEO-like, more akin to the appearance and characteristics they'd seek for leaders of their non-football business. These are the more face-of-the-franchise type GMs who serve to meld football operations with the business side and who can speak the language of the business world. They are more analytical, and can serve to find consensus among the team's scouts but don't have to be primarily a "super scout" themselves. The demeanor of some of those recently let go seems to be out of favor.

"These owners want to have a guy leading football operations who they can relate to," said a high-ranking executive from one successful franchise who agrees that the archetype seems to be changing. "They want someone who looks the part and is comfortable interacting with every department in the building. They want someone who looks like they came from the corporate world and who can speak their language and who is willing to meet sponsors and help on the business side. They want someone who is smooth with the agents and has more of a background in negotiating and the cap. They want a personality that isn't too volatile and doesn't make waves with the players or the media. I'm telling you, things are changing. I'm not saying it's for the better, but look at who has been let go this year."

"They don't want a road scout as their GM," the executive opined. "I really think those days are over. That blue-collar guy who spent all of his time looking at players and eating at Applebee's or Chili's or whatever -- who had his spots in each college town to eat or drink and that's what they talk about. That's not what they're looking at anymore. That's not what they relate to."

BlackOp 07-26-2017 01:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12974755)
"They want someone who looks the part"

Gross, fake...and shallow.

NFL is going to eat itself...

Chiefnj2 07-26-2017 02:02 PM

Freudian slip by Hunt today when asked about Kap:

“But, generally, I’m not going to tell our head coach or our GM not to bring in a player if they think that player can bring us some success on the field and make us better. "

SAUTO 07-26-2017 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 12974804)

“But, generally, I’m not going to tell our head coach or our GM not to bring in a player if they think that player can bring us some success on the field and make us better. "

they all work together.

I don't think many team's gms are just out Willy nilly signing players without at least consulting the coach first.

staylor26 07-26-2017 02:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chiefnj2 (Post 12974804)

Reid obviously has a lot of say in who his QB's will be.

Is this really that hard to understand?

RealSNR 07-26-2017 03:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12974852)
Reid obviously has a lot of say in who his QB's will be.

Is this really that hard to understand?

"Andy, I think we should trade for Brock Osweiler."

"Uh, no. That'd be a bad idea."

"Well too bad because that's what I did! I gave them Chris Jones in exchange. Now go out there and coach, big guy!"

staylor26 07-26-2017 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 12974899)
"Andy, I think we should trade for Brock Osweiler."

"Uh, no. That'd be a bad idea."

"Well too bad because that's what I did! I gave them Chris Jones in exchange. Now go out there and coach, big guy!"

ROFL

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-26-2017 05:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cochise (Post 12974593)
According to Hunt, he had no idea he was going to fire Dorsey until this summer. So I don't think Hunt let Ballard walk away out of animus toward him. Why Hunt would have let the top candidate around the league walk away? Simple, because his decision to fire Dorsey was made relatively suddenly and he didn't know it was coming when Ballard left.

As far as Veach goes, he'll never truly be Reid's peer because Hunt is ceding more and more control of the franchise over to Reid. Normally the head coach would be responsible to the GM and the GM responsible for all aspects of football to the owner. But with the coaching staff out of his control he's not really a full GM, not as much of a GM as others around the league are, at any rate.

Perhaps any General Manager position is an attractive job, but being a full GM instead of a junior one would certainly be preferable, and working for an owner that doesn't replace GMs every 3 or 4 years would be desirable too.

Standard Idiot Reply:

"Well, as long as we're winning( i.e. regular season ninjas ), WHO CARES"?!?!?

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-26-2017 05:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 12974711)

Dorsey is going to build another team.. and win a SB...Reid is going to have his feel good locker room.

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 12974775)
Gross, fake...and shallow.

NFL is going to eat itself...

Hot DAMN you are on a roll today.:clap:

Eleazar 07-26-2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 12975192)
Standard Idiot Reply:

"Well, as long as we're winning( i.e. regular season ninjas ), WHO CARES"?!?!?

If the main thing you care about is a high winning percentage in the regular season, then Andy Reid is probably your guy.

BlackOp 07-27-2017 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 12975212)
Hot DAMN you are on a roll today.:clap:

No roll....my take away from this bureaucratic tug-of-war is Reid is a liar/ego maniac and just forced out the best GM KC has seen in my lifetime...and CHunt is a spineless turd who just gave the keys to his inherited franchise to his surrogate father figure. I haven't said anything negative about Reid (since he came here) until this went down...but I've realized, I dont really like him. Creepy-ass Mormon phony...always trying to act oblivious/ignorant to internal goings-on..."That's Dorse..I dont mess with that". Yeah right...

This whole "They report separately to me" system was horsehit...they never had equal footing.

Meh...there is a reason this team hasn't done shit in 50 years. I shouldn't be surprised. Chiefs just got a lot worse....at least the entitled brats in the LR can rejoice in the fact that "almost" is always good enough for KC...without fear of being held accountable.

This whole scenario makes me appreciate Belichick and his system that much more....there wouldn't be any hurt "feels" over cutting a 12.4 million, 2 td WR. They are in the business of winning championships...Reid has a happy, "feel good" locker-room that chokes when the lights are on. (how many dropped passes against Pittsburgh...Colts historic comeback)

"Almost Good Enough" should be the banners at training camp....or "We'll Get'em Next Time"

splatbass 07-27-2017 12:50 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 12973805)
Judging from Reids emotionless tone on discussing Dorsey...I would say he definitely "daggared" him. CHunt was clueless there were any issues until recently. I wish someone would have asked if they have spoken since he was fired.

Reid was hired first then brought Dorsey on board...when it was time to sign an extension, he wanted someone else. There was power struggle going on...and Andy didn't like how he handled personnel decisions. Hunt had no clue..

The crap about Dorsey being unorganized is BS. They had to invent a reason other than Reid didn't want to work with him anymore...

Everything has to be a conspiracy to you.

Sometimes a cigar is just a cigar.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-27-2017 01:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 12976026)
No roll....my take away from this bureaucratic tug-of-war is Reid is a liar/ego maniac and just forced out the best GM KC has seen in my lifetime...and CHunt is a spineless turd who just gave the keys to his inherited franchise to his surrogate father figure. I haven't said anything negative about Reid (since he came here) until this went down...but I've realized, I dont really like him. Creepy-ass Mormon phony...always trying to act oblivious/ignorant to internal goings-on..."That's Dorse..I dont mess with that". Yeah right...

This whole "They report separately to me" system was horsehit...they never had equal footing.

Meh...there is a reason this team hasn't done shit in 50 years. I shouldn't be surprised. Chiefs just got a lot worse....at least the entitled brats in the LR can rejoice in the fact that "almost" is always good enough for KC...without fear of being held accountable.

This whole scenario makes me appreciate Belichick and his system that much more....there wouldn't be any hurt "feels" over cutting a 12.4 million, 2 td WR. They are in the business of winning championships...Reid has a happy, "feel good" locker-room that chokes when the lights on.

Agreed.

BlackOp 07-27-2017 01:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 12976036)
Agreed.

This whole play-out reeks of amateur hour ownership... You dont fire your highly successful GM on your HC's whims.

nychief 07-27-2017 01:55 AM

Quote:

This whole scenario makes me appreciate Belichick and his system that much more....there wouldn't be any hurt "feels" over cutting a 12.4 million, 2 td WR. They are in the business of winning championships...Reid has a happy, "feel good" locker-room that chokes when the lights are on. (how many dropped passes against Pittsburgh...Colts historic comeback)

"Almost Good Enough" should be the banners at training camp....or "We'll Get'em Next Time"

this is all conjecture and opinion. totally worthless.

BlackOp 07-27-2017 02:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 12976054)

Wish I cared..but I dont.

Enjoy the Chiefs...and the product they're selling you.

I'm about 2-3 weeks from tuning out anyway...regular season is fodder for the masses. A much as I want to be excited about which new advertisements they will be showing..I'm just not.

Nickhead 07-27-2017 02:52 AM

i want to know what dorsey is up to. i want to know if he takes a job that will help the chiefs financially. i wanna know if he ends up in green bay sooner or later. and if being fired as gm, does this now make green bay hesitant depending on position of hire. we all know what veach will do for the next four years. :D

Rasputin 07-27-2017 04:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 12976059)
i want to know what dorsey is up to. i want to know if he takes a job that will help the chiefs financially. i wanna know if he ends up in green bay sooner or later. and if being fired as gm, does this now make green bay hesitant depending on position of hire. we all know what veach will do for the next four years. :D

Are you Dorsey stalker?

kcxiv 07-27-2017 04:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 12976056)
Wish I cared..but I dont.

Enjoy the Chiefs...and the product they're selling you.

I'm about 2-3 weeks from tuning out anyway...regular season is fodder for the masses. A much as I want to be excited about which new advertisements they will be showing..I'm just not.

You come in here talking all shit stuff for you not to care huh?

Nickhead 07-27-2017 04:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12976100)
Are you Dorsey stalker?

i wanna know that dorsey will not end up in the super bowl like pioli. is that fair :D

Rasputin 07-27-2017 05:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 12976103)
i wanna know that dorsey will not end up in the super bowl like pioli. is that fair :D

Yes, but you don't have to be sitting in a tree across the street watching him with binoculars through the windows of his house man. That's pretty intrusive man and cops frown on that. Just wait for news and reports on Chiefs Planet so you don't go to jail. Just watch yourself.

JakeF 07-27-2017 05:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by nychief (Post 12976054)

People who insist that Reid wasn't involved in Dorsey being fired is conjecture too. You know what isn't conjecture? That Reid could have saved Dorsey but he didn't.

JakeF 07-27-2017 06:02 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 12976044)
This whole play-out reeks of amateur hour ownership... You dont fire your highly successful GM on your HC's whims.

This irritates me so much. The best GM we've had since the time of Hank Stram, maybe ever, and we just fired him.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-27-2017 06:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 12976044)

That was my first and gut reaction to the firing.

Rasputin 07-27-2017 06:48 AM

I'm gonna give Clark Hunt the benefit of doubt on this. I got a really good impression of Brett Veach and he will be no ones veach. Not Andy Reids veach & he will hold his own in negotiations v players agent imo. Dorsey got us to this point now Veach is going bring it to the next upper echelon. He has all the tools and is going do a fine job in scouting and that is what he will bring to the table.

We got what we need in a quarterback going into the 2020's, we can dominate the next decade.

Clark is proving he is not doing it his fathers way of just letting the team exist however it does. He is putting his stamp on it. He maybe loyal to Andy Reid because he believes in Andy Reid but he is first loyal to the Chiefs and this is where the GM has to be exactly what Clark is looking for.

JakeF 07-27-2017 06:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12976138)
I'm gonna give Clark Hunt the benefit of doubt on this. I got a really good impression of Brett Veach and he will be no ones veach. Not Andy Reids veach & he will hold his own in negotiations v players agent imo. Dorsey got us to this point now Veach is going bring it to the next upper echelon. He has all the tools and is going do a fine job in scouting and that is what he will bring to the table.

We got what we need in a quarterback going into the 2020's, we can dominate the next decade.

Clark is proving he is not doing it his fathers way of just letting the team exist however it does. He is putting his stamp on it. He maybe loyal to Andy Reid because he believes in Andy Reid but he is first loyal to the Chiefs and this is where the GM has to be exactly what Clark is looking for.

Let's all hope so.

I still can't believe we just fired arguably the best GM the Chiefs have ever had. :(

Messier 07-27-2017 08:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 12976119)
This irritates me so much. The best GM we've had since the time of Hank Stram, maybe ever, and we just fired him.

Dorsey was excellent at finding hidden gems. He excelled in the later rounds and on the waiver wire. He's an incredible scout. But you have to admit he was lacking in contract negotiations, and in management. He was far from perfect. I don't think that's why he was fired. I don't know why he was fired, but there were several situations he mishandled. Did the good outweigh the bad? Yes, I think so, and on job performance (that the fans know about) he should still be the GM. So I'm going with there's more to the story.

Rasputin 07-27-2017 08:18 AM

I'm out of ****s to give about John Dorsey, thank you for the Mahomes II deal and all the good Chiefs you drafted, but I'm moving on & this is Veach time in the saddle now.

RunKC 07-27-2017 08:32 AM

This is a very steep hill to climb for Clark. Dorsey was far and away our best evaluator in charge.

Kelce, Peters, Hill. 3 all pro's in 4 drafts. Now add Dee Ford looking like a pro bowler at midseason having 10 sacks but having an injury and then Chris Jones looking like a monster as a rookie.

I understand it wasn't all Dorsey, but now we have Dorsey and Ballard gone. Veach has an enormous amount of pressure to follow up that kind of success.

I hope he can continue this success, though it almost assuredly will not be as good as before.

raybec 4 07-27-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12976216)
I'm out of ****s to give about John Dorsey, thank you for the Mahomes II deal and all the good Chiefs you drafted, but I'm moving on & this is Veach time in the saddle now.

Sheep! Lemming! Any other conspiracy nutjob buzzword!!

DaneMcCloud 07-27-2017 10:11 AM

https://www.si.com/nfl/2017/07/27/ho...son-tom-savage

4. Why Brett Veach in Kansas City? The Chiefs finally introduced their internal GM hire this week, ushering in the man most (rightly) believed was the front-runner for the job from the start and closing the book on a strange month for the team. Without question, Veach’s relationship with coach Andy Reid, and his experience evaluating players to fit Reid’s programs both in K.C. and Philly, were a big part of this. But one interesting aspect of the process was raised to me this week—Veach had to overcome that too, when he interviewed with CEO Clark Hunt. We’ve seen these go the other way in the past, where a fait accompli internal hire winds up losing out on the post, and most often it’s because the team knows the person too well.

What does that mean? Well, if you know someone intimately as a lieutenant, it can be hard to envision that person as a general, moreso than it might be to have that same vision for a guy you’re meeting for the first time and is presenting himself as an executive. Veach had to get Hunt to see him in a different light, and he was able to display that, as one Chiefs staffer said, “he could button up and be the guy.”

As for what Veach brings to the table, outside of his familiarity with Reid, his passion for football was one plus, as Hunt saw it. Another was how Veach saw players. There is a group of four college players, in fact, that Veach raised in meetings over the last couple years a season ahead of their draft years, before they were on many NFL radars. And each of those four guys wound up hitting. That showed those there that he could see potential early in guys, which should serve him in putting a roster together. When I asked Colts GM Chris Ballard, who worked with Veach the past four years, about him earlier this week, Ballard affirmed all that to me: “Love Veach. Relentless worker, very good eye for talent. I believe in him.”

There are challenges here, of course. The first one, and this goes for a lot of guys who came up as road scouts (Veach did, as did his predecessor John Dorsey), will be managing people in the office on a day-to-day basis. The second one, which every new GM faces, is the learning curve in actually being the triggerman. And yes, this is the way most saw it playing out. But that doesn’t mean there isn’t reason to believe that it was simply the right way to go from the start.

staylor26 07-27-2017 10:28 AM

Wow, I would love to hear who those 4 prospects were.

We might not skip a beat with Veach as hard as that is to imagine.

RunKC 07-27-2017 10:31 AM

Wow that line about the 4 players should give all of us major confidence. I wonder who those 4 players are?

JakeF 07-27-2017 10:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Messier (Post 12976199)
Dorsey was excellent at finding hidden gems. He excelled in the later rounds and on the waiver wire. He's an incredible scout. But you have to admit he was lacking in contract negotiations, and in management. He was far from perfect. I don't think that's why he was fired. I don't know why he was fired, but there were several situations he mishandled. Did the good outweigh the bad? Yes, I think so, and on job performance (that the fans know about) he should still be the GM. So I'm going with there's more to the story.

I don't think Dorsey was perfect but his strengths were more important than his weaknesses. He was a first-time GM, it's not strange that he was better at the Player Personnel aspect of the position. He will get better at the CEO part of the job like structuring contracts and anticipating when to sign players. Hunt should have tried to help Dorsey, not fire him. I still strongly believe that Reid wanting more power was the real reason he was fired. I hope that Veach has a really good eye for talent or we are so screwed.

DaneMcCloud 07-27-2017 11:28 AM

I would be cool to learn the names of those 4 players but just the fact that it happened is enough for me.

I don't think they'll skip a beat under Veach and hopefully, the cap management is much better.

pugsnotdrugs19 07-27-2017 11:34 AM

During Veach's press conference, someone asked about managing the cap and asked if it would be a strength for him.... he immediately stated that his major strength is player evaluation, specifically for the draft.

It made me wonder. If the guy has enough confidence to say that without thinking twice, what has he done within the building that we may not realize?

BlackOp 07-27-2017 11:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 12976427)
Hunt should have tried to help Dorsey, not fire him. I still strongly believe that Reid wanting more power was the real reason he was fired.

Any reasonable owner would have worked through the differences...taking a 2-14 trainwreck and building into a 12-4 team with arguably the best roster in the league SHOULD buy you that clout. I cant see any other team in the NFL firing their 12-4 GM...I cant think of any HC with the power to get a successful GM fired either. Could Harbaugh get Ozzie fired over cutting his pet players?

There hasn't been one roster move that wasn't justified...Maclin doesn't get to take seasons off/under-perform when he's being paid $12.4 million. Berry doesn't just get a huge contract on blind faith that he'll fully recover. Their individual butthurt is secondary to the overall team success/longevity. You make tough choices as a GM. Reid may have his happy family locker-room but still has never won a SB...in SEVENTEEN years of being a HC.

Whatever...

raybec 4 07-27-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12976497)
During Veach's press conference, someone asked about managing the cap and asked if it would be a strength for him.... he immediately stated that his major strength is player evaluation, specifically for the draft.

It made me wonder. If the guy has enough confidence to say that without thinking twice, what has he done within the building that we may not realize?

Like any good manager, Veach should play to his strengths and staff his weaknesses. The mere fact that he acknowledges what he doesn't know is a good sign.

Eleazar 07-27-2017 12:24 PM

Quote:

I don't think any of the "Reid had nothing to do with it" stuff adds up, at all. Obviously, Hunt would have spoken to Reid and Reid would have agreed that Dorsey should be pushed out. Hunt isn't going to do that without talking to Reid.

Whether it originated from Reid, wholly or in part, no one is ever going to say, but it's pretty clear that Reid is the owner's guy and is calling the shots, not anyone else.

Quote:

This whole scenario makes me appreciate Belichick and his system that much more....there wouldn't be any hurt "feels" over cutting a 12.4 million, 2 td WR. They are in the business of winning championships...Reid has a happy, "feel good" locker-room that chokes when the lights are on.
Exactly.

The teams that win Super Bowls aren't doing this.

They hire the right GM. They keep him for 10, 15 years or longer. Ownership lets him run the team. He hires the right head coaches. They rarely change head coaches. There is competence, stability, and continuity.

(4 GMs in Clark's tenure - more than half the general managers in Chiefs' 57-year history have worked for Clark in the last 10 years.)

Eleazar 07-27-2017 12:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12976138)

Being more hands-on than Lamar is a good thing, but only if you are competent. If you continually hire and fire the wrong people, you're not better off.

BlackOp 07-27-2017 12:47 PM

The only positive is I think Brady/Big Ben start to fall off this year...or next. There arent really any dominant QBs in the ACF when they do. Dorsey left them with a young, talented roster and a new QB...so there's that.

Elway will sign Smith and will finally get his SB....because, you know, Chiefs.

staylor26 07-27-2017 12:50 PM

Oh look a great piece that further explains why Clark went with Veach and the conspiracy theorists ignore it and continue to talk their baseless bullshit.

:rolleyes:

BlackOp 07-27-2017 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12976651)
Oh look a great piece that further explains why Clark went with Veach and the conspiracy theorists ignore it and continue to talk their baseless bullshit.

:rolleyes:

I trust SI about as much as I do NFL Network...What would you expect Ballard to say "He's not ready and will probably fail"?

It doesn't address the issue we're talking about...and that's how it even got to the point the where KC was looking for a new GM

staylor26 07-27-2017 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BlackOp (Post 12976654)
I trust SI about as much as I do NFL Network...What would you expect Ballard to say "He's not ready and will probably fail"?

It doesn't address the issue we're talking about...and that's how it even got to the point the where KC was looking for a new GM

You guys think Veach is a yes-man for Reid and it's simply not true. That's the basis of your bitching, and you're clearly ****ing wrong.

DaneMcCloud 07-27-2017 01:27 PM

Quote:

You don't trust anyone, which is absolutely ****ing ridiculous.

Chris Ballard told Veach to prepare for GM interviews 2 years ago. He reached out and helped Brett prepare for the Chiefs interview.

People don't make public proclamations if they don't believe in the person their endorsing.

Quote:

Those issues have been addressed, ad nauseam, by Paylor, Mellinger, Cole, Breer, La Canfora and others.

The fact that you refuse to believe any of these reports is on you and no one else.

JakeF 07-27-2017 01:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 12976497)

We'll find out soon enough. Some people seem to be trying to indicate that Veach and Ballard were really the people doing all the work and Dorsey was just along for the ride. If that is the case then Veach should be able to get some cheap, hidden gems in free agency before this season starts and there shouldn't be any drop in the draft next year. Dorsey drafted a QB before getting stabbed in the back and fired, so there shouldn't be a single excuse about why we don't make a legit push for the super bowl soon.

A bunch of people are citing the salary cap as why Dorsey got fired but the cap is not in bad shape. Cutting Maclin hurt but the cap next year is going to be ok.

Cuts next yr/cap space freed up
Alex Smith - 17m
Tamba Hali - 7m
Jah Reid - 3.2
Derrick Johnson - 8m
Demetrius Harris - 2m

Plenty of cap flexibility for us next year all because of Dorsey's lousy cap management. We'll still have an issue at linebacker unless some players step up this year though.

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-27-2017 04:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12976685)
You guys think Veach is a yes-man for Reid and it's simply not true. That's the basis of your bitching, and you're clearly ****ing wrong.

Says who? What evidence do you have to the contrary? All you have is speculation and opinion, the same as everyone else.
And if Veach was the "right man for the job", then why wasn't he hired as Chiefs GM in the first place?
I'm beginning to think that Clark Hunt is the shittiest businessman in the entire NFL.

Would you like to know what "Chiefs bad luck" really is?

It's Chiefs decision-making.

staylor26 07-27-2017 06:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 12977083)
Says who? What evidence do you have to the contrary? All you have is speculation and opinion, the same as everyone else.
And if Veach was the "right man for the job", then why wasn't he hired as Chiefs GM in the first place?
I'm beginning to think that Clark Hunt is the shittiest businessman in the entire NFL.

Good god you're ****ing clueless :facepalm:

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-27-2017 06:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12977199)
Good god you're ****ing clueless :facepalm:

Brilliant retort. Very Smith-like in its overall quality.:clap:

threebag 07-27-2017 06:59 PM

Doom and gloom by the quarterback club when this happened.(Dorsey fired)

These dumbshits and their mob mentality

DaneMcCloud 07-27-2017 07:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 12977203)

You don't even bother to READ anything that's been reported, so I'll post it again for your dumb skinny ass:

http://www.chiefs.com/news/article-2...7-66d1baa3272e

“If you know [Reid], he likes to surround himself with people who work hard and challenge him,” Veach explained. “I don’t think he’d have had respect for me if I was saying, ‘Yes, yes, yes,’ for 10 years. I think my ability to go in there and challenge him in different areas raised his game. And I think that he always understood that, when I came to him with an idea, with a solution to a problem, that it was well-thought out and well-researched. We have a great deal of trust and respect.”

staylor26 07-27-2017 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 12977203)

I'm not going to waste my time trying to convince you of something because it's pretty apparent that you're ignoring all the reports and evidence to the contrary of your stupid ****ing conspiracy. How am I going to be the one to get you to see this?

When Reid was in charge of personnel it wasn't a secret. That's something that would be incredibly hard to keep away from the local media and fans. It's very ignorant to think otherwise. Do you really believe that somebody would sign up to be GM knowing that it will be them that catches shit when Reid makes a bad decision? Besides, Reid himself has said he doesn't even want to ever do that again. Why would he with the success he's had since he went back to HC only?

Also, I'm not an Alex ball washer so I don't really see the point in bringing him up.

DaneMcCloud 07-27-2017 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 12977208)
Also, I'm not an Alex ball washer so I don't really see the point in bringing him up.

It's his only line of defense.

Trust me, in 2 years, he'll be bitching about something else, although it won't be original, it'll be whatever Hammock Parties is bitching about.

RunKC 07-27-2017 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 12977083)

He was 35 when he came here. A little young for a GM.

Dorsey was Andy's best friend and he brought him in the same way, so it's fair to give Veach a fair shot.
I didn't like Clark waiting so long to fire Dorsey, but Veach was a big part of the success here.

Guess we'll see in 3 years

DaneMcCloud 07-27-2017 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 12977213)
He was 35 when he came here. A little young for a GM.

Dorsey was Andy's best friend and he brought him in the same way, so it's fair to give Veach a fair shot.
I didn't like Clark waiting so long to fire Dorsey, but Veach was a big part of the success here.

Guess we'll see in 3 years

Also, Clark performed his Due Diligence in interviewing more than a dozen candidates.

If he had said "Okay, that's it. Veach, the job is yours", it would be an entirely different scenario.

But trying to reason with a butt****ing moron is fruitless.

Rasputin 07-27-2017 07:16 PM

I think I'm more excited now about Veach than I was Dorsey when we hired him.

I think we will be better than we'll be fine

Do you agree Simply Red?

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-27-2017 07:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12977217)
Also, Clark performed his Due Diligence in interviewing more than a dozen candidates.

If he had said "Okay, that's it. Veach, the job is yours", it would be an entirely different scenario.

But trying to reason with a butt****ing moron is fruitless.

You wouldn't know reason if it bit you in your delusional ass, Captain Rickets. And why the **** would I take anything you or to a lesser extent Staylor have to say about this shit seriously, when you two have done absolutely nothing but buy-in to every single thing Reid and Clark sell you at the Dumbass Express Mart?

I look forward to the day that Dorsey gets his next gig so that we can ALL finally find out just what in the blue piss **** really went down at One Dumbass Drive.

Get ****ed.
Goodnight.
Piss off!

DaneMcCloud 07-27-2017 07:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 12977227)
You wouldn't know reason if it bit you in your delusional ass, Captain Rickets. And why the **** would I take anything you or to a lesser extent Staylor have to say about this shit seriously, when you two have done absolutely nothing but buy-in to every single thing Reid and Clark sell you at the Dumbass Express Mart?

I look forward to the day that Dorsey gets his next gig so that we can ALL finally find out just what in the blue piss **** really went down at One Dumbass Drive.

Get ****ed.
Goodnight.
Piss off!

Good ****ing grief, SHUT UP.

You appear more delusional each day.

Are you and BlackOp roomies?

Rasputin 07-27-2017 07:34 PM

I see it like this. Dorsey is a checkers kind of guy, good at scouting and drafting was able to clear the board. Good at one dimensional GM duties. Brett Veach is a Chess kind of guy and it takes more skill to play. He is good at crunching numbers and negotiations and sees the big picture. He sacrifices players but is two or three moves ahead of the game so he can checkmate his opponents. So I think that's what Clark Hunt sees in Brett Veach and the difference between them. Brett Veach is still a good or excellent scout so we won't be losing anything there.

threebag 07-27-2017 07:47 PM

Imagine how lost some of these fools would be without the guidence of the village idiot hammock parties

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-27-2017 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KC Tattoo (Post 12977231)
I see it like this. Dorsey is a checkers kind of guy, good at scouting and drafting was able to clear the board. Good at one dimensional GM duties. Brett Veach is a Chess kind of guy and it takes more skill to play. He is good at crunching numbers and negotiations and sees the big picture. He sacrifices players but is two or three moves ahead of the game so he can checkmate his opponents. So I think that's what Clark Hunt sees in Brett Veach and the difference between them. Brett Veach is still a good or excellent scout so we won't be losing anything there.

That's a nice theory and all, but you might want to hold off for actual evidence before making such a call.

Quote:

Originally Posted by threebag02 (Post 12977241)
Imagine how lost some of these fools would be without the guidence of the village idiot hammock parties

As opposed to the happy sunshine that Arrowhead Pride etc. helps you blow out of your ass?

DaneMcCloud 07-27-2017 07:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 12977246)
That's a nice theory and all, but you might want to hold off for actual evidence before making such a call.

Talking out of your ass

Quote:

As opposed to the happy sunshine that Arrowhead Pride etc. helps you blow out of your ass?

CP is not AP.

Rasputin 07-27-2017 08:10 PM

Quote:

I don't need any more evidence. I've came to my own conclusion and liked what I've heard out of Brett Veach. Not so much what I've heard of Clark because i cringe every time I hear him speak. Something about Clark I just think he is not a good speaker in public and he would do good not to speak.

Dorsey said a lot of good things when he was hired mostly to blow smoke up our asses but he didn't seem to have a personality he just said leave egos at the door. He said the right things but I didn't see his vision. I think this young man is going bring new and innovative thought process (lol it's a process) but really I think he will grow with it and make this a better football team for the long haul it's going take. It may not even take that long if Mahomes II develops quicker than planned.

Tombstone RJ 07-27-2017 08:12 PM

Veach is just Reid's athletic supporter...

DaneMcCloud 07-27-2017 08:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 12977265)
Veach is just Reid's athletic supporter...

Does Elway's cock taste like shit?

Rasputin 07-27-2017 08:16 PM

I think Veach will outlast Andy Reid tenure here and will get an opportunity to pick his own coach but that will be years down the line. Not sure if Andy Reid will be up for coaching when his next extension deadline comes to play.

Tombstone RJ 07-27-2017 08:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12977268)
Does Elway's cock taste like shit?

Reid needs someone to fetch his BBQ brisket with a side of beans.

DaneMcCloud 07-27-2017 08:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 12977275)
Reid needs someone to fetch his BBQ brisket with a side of beans.

I take that as a "Yes".

Andy kicked your ****ing ass the last 3 times.

He'll make it 5-0 in 2017.

Vance Joseph.

LMAO

Sweet Daddy Hate 07-27-2017 08:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12977254)
Talking out of your ass

So Veach has already proven himself to be Dorsey's superior in drafting and management less than one month on the job?

I swear to god reading anything you post has become the equivalent of listening to Andy Reid fart in to a kazoo.

splatbass 07-27-2017 08:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JakeF (Post 12976118)
People who insist that Reid wasn't involved in Dorsey being fired is conjecture too. You know what isn't conjecture? That Reid could have saved Dorsey but he didn't.

That is also conjecture. Hunt said it was his decision. Absent any evidence to the contrary everything else is conjecture.

Tombstone RJ 07-27-2017 08:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 12977278)
I take that as a "Yes".

Andy kicked your ****ing ass the last 3 times.

He'll make it 5-0 in 2017.

Vance Joseph.

LMAO

I know beating the Denver Broncos is your SB, but it hasn't got your team a Lombardi trophy. Or a Hunt trophy for that matter.

DaneMcCloud 07-27-2017 08:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 12977282)
So Veach has already proven himself to be Dorsey's superior in drafting and management less than one month on the job?

I swear to god reading anything you post has become the equivalent of listening to Andy Reid fart in to a kazoo.

Your reading comprehension is 0.000000.

How do you feed yourself?

Oh yeah, you don't.

Meth.

DaneMcCloud 07-27-2017 08:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Tombstone RJ (Post 12977288)
I know beating the Denver Broncos is your SB, but it hasn't got your team a Lombardi trophy. Or a Hunt trophy for that matter.

Um, no.

Thanks for playing.

Rasputin 07-27-2017 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sweet Daddy Hate (Post 12977282)

Veach hasn't proved anything but I don't see the need to get worked up over him being hired. Relax things will work out. He will cut Alex at end of the year and get on with the draft and we will find out if he's got good mojo for drafting. I know this he has scouts that we still have that Dorsey used himself. Dorsey used his scouts he didn't find them all himself his scouts gave him leads then they go out and scout for themselves. So Veach will use Chiefs scouting that we've had for last four years.