ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Media Center (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=2)
-   -   Movies and TV Must Watch Series (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=258883)

Rausch 04-13-2017 08:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 12821693)
the "scene" was so brutal, i had to look away. It was a wtf moment thats for sure.

I remember watching "KIDS" (Harmony Korine) when it came out.

I remember thinking that was about right up until the rape scene with the girl with AIDS. I can't say I ever knew a rapist as a kid...

Baby Lee 04-15-2017 08:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12822370)
I remember watching "KIDS" (Harmony Korine) when it came out.

I remember thinking that was about right up until the rape scene with the girl with AIDS. I can't say I ever knew a rapist as a kid...

Amazing that both Chloe Sevigny and Rosario Dawson got their start in that.

Chloe was semi-known as a club girl [kind of a precursor to Kardashians and Dunhams of the world], but Dawson was simply discovered sitting on a stoop while crew were scouting locations.

Baby Lee 04-18-2017 06:02 PM

Hey, this looks promising. Anyone heard anything?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uDcQbk78CSw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Buehler445 04-18-2017 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12829709)
Hey, this looks promising. Anyone heard anything?

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/uDcQbk78CSw" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Sheeeeeeeeeeeiiiiiiiiiit

DaKCMan AP 04-18-2017 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fahrenheit (Post 12784601)
So i've broken down and finally started watching Shameless. 2 episodes in and I've not laughed that hard in awhile. Absolutely hilarious show, however it's a little sketchy at points so don't watch it with your children in the same zipcode as you.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12784661)
Heh. I've been wondering if I should check it out. Buddy of mine said, it just sets out to offend everybody and does a great job LOL

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 12784692)
can only describe it as six shades of wrong. just when you think they would not do something, they pole vault over that idea into something even more unthinkable :D

i'd say my favorite character is Kev!

We started watching about 2 months ago and we're now halfway through season 2. Definitely makes you like and dislike every character. Kevin is my favorite while the wife's favorite is Lip.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nixhex (Post 12785625)
Exactly. Just when you think it can't get anymore crazy it does. I would say my favorite character is Carl.

Nickhead 04-20-2017 02:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 12821073)
I'm watching the Netflix show 13 Reasons Why with my wife...I'm hooked... I didn't think I would care for it, but was wrong... It's a really interesting/touching show so far with fantastic music.

it took a bit to get going. started feeling like an MA 90210

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 12821693)
the "scene" was so brutal, i had to look away. It was a wtf moment thats for sure.

it was cringe worthy. the emotion was there, but again, it took a while.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 12821769)
I've heard that...I'm on the episode 7 (Zach) episode right now and caught a glimpse of what that scene will consist of when Clay was hallucinating at the basketball game.

aside from the suicide scene, the rest was simply HBO type drama, almost pg even. no nudity.

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 12821835)
parents needs to make their young teens watch this show all the way through. you learn alot about todays teens. Alot of lessons can be taught.

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 12821864)
I agree 100%.

i agree teenagers should watch, but there is a difference between showing a depressed teen this, versus helping your perceived good child notice the signs of others.

no one under 16 should watch the last episode without a parent.

now, having just wrapped this up, i went straight to episode 18 of twin peaks season two. there is a scene where agent cooper gets a turkey sandwich with a dollup of mayo.

there is as well a scene where clay orders a turkey sandwich with a dollup of mayo from skye. ****ing weird coincidence, hey! :D

ETA: i did while watching this series hark back to the days of twin peaks, which would prove my point i guess.

Coochie liquor 04-20-2017 03:31 AM

Just started season 2 of The Missing. Season 1 was very good, season 2 looks very promising. Only 2 episodes in so far but really liking it.

<div style="position:relative;height:0;padding-bottom:56.25%"><iframe src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/DXiOwboL774?ecver=2" width="640" height="360" frameborder="0" style="position:absolute;width:100%;height:100%;left:0" allowfullscreen></iframe></div>

rico 04-20-2017 06:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 12831687)
it took a bit to get going. started feeling like an MA 90210

it was cringe worthy. the emotion was there, but again, it took a while.

aside from the suicide scene, the rest was simply HBO type drama, almost pg even. no nudity.

i agree teenagers should watch, but there is a difference between showing a depressed teen this, versus helping your perceived good child notice the signs of others.

no one under 16 should watch the last episode without a parent.

now, having just wrapped this up, i went straight to episode 18 of twin peaks season two. there is a scene where agent cooper gets a turkey sandwich with a dollup of mayo.

there is as well a scene where clay orders a turkey sandwich with a dollup of mayo from skye. ****ing weird coincidence, hey! :D

ETA: i did while watching this series hark back to the days of twin peaks, which would prove my point i guess.

Speaking of Twin Peaks and HBO...The show "Carnivale" gives me some huge Twon Peaks/Lynch vibes.

Nickhead 04-20-2017 03:48 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by rico (Post 12831717)
Speaking of Twin Peaks and HBO...The show "Carnivale" gives me some huge Twon Peaks/Lynch vibes.

another show cancelled too soon IMO :D

patteeu 04-23-2017 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaKCMan AP (Post 12829822)
We started watching about 2 months ago and we're now halfway through season 2. Definitely makes you like and dislike every character. Kevin is my favorite while the wife's favorite is Lip.

I just started watching Shameless too. The description didn't sound that appealing to me, but I was hooked after the first episode. My favorite is probably Lip, but I really like Debbie and Ian too.

Baby Lee 04-23-2017 02:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by patteeu (Post 12836226)
I just started watching Shameless too. The description didn't sound that appealing to me, but I was hooked after the first episode. My favorite is probably Lip, but I really like Debbie and Ian too.

Shameless will try your patience, but continue to pay it off eventually.

At times it's the darkest thing on TV, but in many ways it comes to feel like an actual dark side of your extended family. It's simultaneously more outrageous than you can imagine a part of your life, and yet still performed and plotted well enough that it seems in some way like a quasi-documentary or voyeuristic look into some reality somewhere.

People will do stupid things, and instead of going around afterwards angry about stupid plot points or stupid writers, you find yourself actually angry at the character, like a real person let you down.

Then in the next moment, there will be something totally farcical, but you don't mind because it's usually humorous.

unlurking 04-23-2017 04:59 PM

The original British version of Shameless is so much better.

Nickhead 04-23-2017 05:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12836417)

they each have their own qualities, but there are way more cringe worthy moments in the UK version. the british quips are priceless. i have made previous posts about it, but this is the type of show if you binge watch too much you feel like going out and bashing someone's head in :D

patteeu 04-23-2017 05:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 12836433)
they each have their own qualities, but there are way more cringe worthy moments in the UK version. the british quips are priceless. i have made previous posts about it, but this is the type of show if you binge watch too much you feel like going out and bashing someone's head in :D

Sounds like ChiefsPlanet at times.

Rausch 04-25-2017 06:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12836417)

In almost all cases I'd agree with that. With Shameless the impossibly thick accents of many of the characters combined with the amazing performances of Macy make the US version much better.

I've read comix for 30 years and been a horror film fan for just as long but Frank might be the most immoral character I've ever seen...

unlurking 04-25-2017 08:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rausch (Post 12838057)
In almost all cases I'd agree with that. With Shameless the impossibly thick accents of many of the characters combined with the amazing performances of Macy make the US version much better.

I've read comix for 30 years and been a horror film fan for just as long but Frank might be the most immoral character I've ever seen...

I'll give you Macy as Frank is excellent, even though I liked Threlfall's performance better. is drunk portrayal is hands down the better performance. Unfortunately I can't stand the actors playing Fiona or Ian. Absolutely hate Fiona in the US version.

The fact that I was watching the British version before the US version came out kind of set the characters for me.

Nickhead 04-25-2017 08:38 PM

Quote:

UK Frank vs US Bundy who is worse :D

Baby Lee 04-25-2017 08:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12839424)
I can't stand the actors playing Fiona or Ian. Absolutely hate Fiona in the US version.

I'm sure you're referring to the actress' performance, rather than the character herself, but have your gotten to;

Spoiler!

I was ready to go Mighty Joe Mixon on her after that episode.

unlurking 04-25-2017 09:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12839446)
I'm sure you're referring to the actress' performance, rather than the character herself, but have your gotten to;

Spoiler!

I was ready to go Mighty Joe Mixon on her after that episode.

Yeah, that was an extremely dark run of episodes. Probably another reason I liked the British version better too. The US one just seemed to be trying to hard to be dark. I stopped watching shortly after that.

Nickhead 04-25-2017 09:16 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/Jx3Zdl_V3zo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

:D

Buehler445 04-25-2017 10:20 PM

Wife DVR'd Conviction on a whim (She knows I'm a Haley Atwell fan.

It's worth a watch. Atwell definitely carries it. She acts her face right off.

Unfortunately the rest of it is kinda meh. the 12 year old from Walking Dead is in it. She's pretty meh. The black woman is downright bad. The guy is meh, the love interest/boss is meh to bad. The ex/con guy from Graceland is pretty good. Her brother is outstanding. The mom angle is really bad. And Atwell crushes it.

The setup is dumb. They're supposed to review these cold cases in 5 days for no apparent reason other than to add drama because there is only 5 days.

The drama from the cases is actually pretty good and well written. If you're a law or a forensics junkie, it's not for you, but the casework is actually pretty good.

Atwell has caught some bad luck with Agent Carter. Hopefully this gets a second season. I might love her :)

Psyko Tek 04-25-2017 11:00 PM

Quote:

it's a comic, I like to read better than watch

Fansy the Famous Bard 04-26-2017 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12839563)

Unfortunately the rest of it is kinda meh. the 12 year old from Walking Dead is in it. She's pretty meh. The black woman is downright bad. The guy is meh, the love interest/boss is meh to bad. The ex/con guy from Graceland is pretty good. Her brother is outstanding. The mom angle is really bad. And Atwell crushes it.

The setup is dumb. They're supposed to review these cold cases in 5 days for no apparent reason other than to add drama because there is only 5 days.

The drama from the cases is actually pretty good and well written. If you're a law or a forensics junkie, it's not for you, but the casework is actually pretty good.

Atwell has caught some bad luck with Agent Carter. Hopefully this gets a second season. I might love her :)

First thought that came to mind was "Does she show her cans?".

Then I realized this was an ABC show.

:cuss:

keg in kc 04-26-2017 12:48 PM

Finished season 3 of Bosch yesterday. It continues the upward trend from season 2. Good show.

Beef Supreme 04-26-2017 12:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12839563)

I tried to watch this shit show, but had to give up. It's bad. She's hot, but this show sucks. Agent Carter was good. It deserved another season. This shit deserves the finger.

Buehler445 04-26-2017 02:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigChiefTablet (Post 12840370)
I tried to watch this shit show, but had to give up. It's bad. She's hot, but this show sucks. Agent Carter was good. It deserved another season. This shit deserves the finger.

It got better. Not ever good, but better.

The episode where

Spoiler!

She acted her ass off. She did an outstanding job. Then they had to hambone it up at the end of the episode, who knows why.

It is however, REALLY ****ing reeruned that

Spoiler!

Give me a ****ing break.

Anyway, it's worth sticking with IMO.

Beef Supreme 04-26-2017 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Buehler445 (Post 12840512)
It got better. Not ever good, but better.

The episode where

Spoiler!

She acted her ass off. She did an outstanding job. Then they had to hambone it up at the end of the episode, who knows why.

It is however, REALLY ****ing reeruned that

Spoiler!

Give me a ****ing break.

Anyway, it's worth sticking with IMO.

Funny you mention that episode. It was the last one I watched. I was sticking it out (barely) until that reeruned shit. It was literally the plot of the movie they pitched in the movie "The Player." Only done badly, with more social justice tears.

Your second spoiler point is just one more reason it was stupid.

Baby Lee 05-08-2017 01:35 AM

[paraphrasing] last night's Veep

Pundit on TV - It's not unfeasible that Selena Meyers would be a far left-field candidate.

Selena - Far left field?

Gary - That was my little league position

Richard - I played pitcher's helper.

Sandy Vagina 05-10-2017 08:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12840359)
Finished season 3 of Bosch yesterday. It continues the upward trend from season 2. Good show.

Agreed. Just finished S3 two days ago, and we thought it was an excellent series throughout. Very eager for the 4.. no idea when it will be out though.

Baby Lee 05-10-2017 11:26 AM

Don't ask any questions. Just watch

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TIDUaI19kvI" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

T-post Tom 05-10-2017 01:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12839424)
I'll give you Macy as Frank is excellent, even though I liked Threlfall's performance better. is drunk portrayal is hands down the better performance. Unfortunately I can't stand the actors playing Fiona or Ian. Absolutely hate Fiona in the US version.

The fact that I was watching the British version before the US version came out kind of set the characters for me.

The show certainly tries too hard. I put that on the script & the showrunner. (I enjoy a lot of Wells' other work.) Emmy Rossum is delicious.

http://projectshanks.com/wp-content/...y-rossum-6.jpg

Sandy Vagina 05-11-2017 06:53 AM

Quote:

The show certainly tries too hard. Emmy Rossum is delicious.
Good show, but true, and more true.

Have googled her name + nude, and fapped to some nice pics. Feels like I should be embarrassed by this, but meh.

Baby Lee 05-20-2017 09:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12783784)
Nah, I think if anything the internet pay channel original programming had a leg up on major networks in terms of being hunger to build an audience and having less creative interference/censorship.

Certainly stuff on Amazon and Hulu is better than NBC/ABC. Basic cable only has FX and AMC outperforming them, and sure HBO and Showtime are still generally cream of the crop. But there's plenty of stuff on the streaming services that's among the best stuff out there.

Fargo, OITNB, BoJack Horseman, Stranger Things, Kimmy Schmidt, etc.

Kimmy Schmidt is back, and dear Lord, one episode in, and fixing/eating/cleaning/washing up after dinner before the second, . . . and I'm still laughing at some of the lines they gave Jon Hamm's character.

Such a sharply written show.

Nickhead 05-21-2017 12:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12882664)
Kimmy Schmidt is back, and dear Lord, one episode in, and fixing/eating/cleaning/washing up after dinner before the second, . . . and I'm still laughing at some of the lines they gave Jon Hamm's character.

Such a sharply written show.

not to say the show isn't funny but i CANNOT stand the actress that plays kimmy.

even her days on the office. it's like the reverse of the actor/actress's that whisper when they speak. :D

unlurking 05-21-2017 07:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 12882767)
not to say the show isn't funny but i CANNOT stand the actress that plays kimmy.

even her days on the office. it's like the reverse of the actor/actress's that whisper when they speak. :D

I have a serious weakness for redheads, so may be biased, but I love her.

Baby Lee 05-21-2017 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12882825)
I have a serious weakness for redheads, so may be biased, but I love her.

Yeah, the Kiwi is off on this one. Kimmy is a great character. The show is one of the best-written comedies on 'air' at present, and Ellie is great a playing her.

Ellie/Kimmy might be too 'perky' to want to be friends with IRL, but in a sitcom she's utilized well.

Nickhead 05-21-2017 03:23 PM

kiwi? :hmmm::#:D

Baby Lee 05-21-2017 03:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 12883254)
kiwi? :hmmm::#:D

I did that to tweak you. ;)

Nickhead 05-21-2017 04:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12883312)
I did that to tweak you. ;)

fuggin' yank's ROFL

Baby Lee 05-21-2017 04:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 12883386)
fuggin' yank's ROFL

yank? :hmmm::#:D

Nickhead 05-21-2017 05:13 PM

Great Aussie comedy

Introduced my brother and his wife to a hilarious Aussie comedy. It's two seasons.

A Moody Christmas:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/ngSAnwEA_AQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Season 2 (Hidden for season 1 spoilers) :D

Spoiler!

It's on Netflix here, just not sure about the American streams.

it's easily an 8/10 :clap:

Baby Lee 05-26-2017 01:04 AM

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/l9SeD8g8QrE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/akoi-aIHN1g" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee 05-26-2017 09:28 PM

1 Attachment(s)
OMFG - I'll let the smart people of CP figure out the umpteen million ways this is hilarious.

BucEyedPea 05-26-2017 10:54 PM

I thought you watched some of Turn but didn't like it?

Hell on Wheels I didn't see and we both loved it. Netflix has now. So you can binge watch. Opening scene really hooked me to continue.

Just did Season 2 of The Last Kingdom, but it's hard to understand one time through with the British accents and it can be a bit confusing. Looking up some history, looking at some maps, and looking up a few terms from the era, then watching it through a 2nd time, I found it really enjoyable. I would have labled it mediocre unless I did all that.

Noticed you watched The Americans. I love that one. I watch it each season.

I love The Big Bang Theory too, but miss it too much.

unlurking 05-27-2017 07:31 AM

Anyone watch Love on Netflix? Passed it over many times because it looks like just another romcom (and don't get me wrong, it totally is), but got bored one day and put it on for some background noise. I love Gillian Jacobs from Community and it was actually much better than I thought. The male role is the stereotypical nerd which I found mostly boring (not as bad as Biggs in Orange), but Gillian is hilarious.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1yO5xIVy2dM" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Baby Lee 05-27-2017 08:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12891480)
Anyone watch Love on Netflix?

The nerd character is played by Paul Rust, and is a big reason why I haven't watched. I don't dislike him, but I feel bad because I don't find him as hilarious as many people who I like a great deal do.

He's a favorite of the Earwolf/UCB/Meltdown crowd, and he recurs a great deal on CBB. Aukerman clearly loves the guy. But when he's on the podcast, everyone is laughing their ass off, and I just can't get as amused as the people on the podcast are. It's almost like they're charmed at how unfocused and deliberately unfunny he is.

One of his signature bits is making fun of Maher's New Rules with stupid anti-rules with New No Nos.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/91c8dt08jrg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

unlurking 05-27-2017 08:53 AM

I get absolutely zero of those reference. I recognize Maher, but absolutely hate him. I'm assuming "New Rules" is a bit on his show? Don't do podcasts (except the occasional hardcore history).

Nickhead 05-28-2017 02:33 AM

Angry Boys (Aussie 2011-12) twelve half hour episodes.

Spoiler!

sully1983 05-28-2017 08:07 AM

I dig Narcos on Netflix. About the hunt for Pablo Escobar .

Frazod 05-28-2017 06:21 PM

Just finished watching the second season of Dark Matter on Netflix. Although it's very derivative of lots of other stuff (Alien crew meets Firefly with amnesia with little bits of Star Trek thrown in and a Mass Effect sounding score), I really enjoy it. Good cast, solid production and a couple of serious babes.

Season 3 starts on scifi next month. Got it programmed on the DVR. :thumb:

Buehler445 05-28-2017 06:49 PM

I watched Bosch on recommendation from this thread.

I'm not normally down for police procedurals. But this one is really really good. I've never been endnotes with Titus Welliver and that's part of the reason this show kicks ass. He really nails a role that would be easy to botch. He has to express a mountain of emotion while being bottled up. He knocked it out of the park.

Naturally with everything writing makes or breaks the series. And this is good. The thing that separates Bosch is that it isn't formulaic. Or at least doesn't feel that way. It lets the case and the overriding stories meander in a way that feels natural. Moreover the pacing is excellent. It doesn't try to stretch stories out or cram them into a box. That by itself really takes it above most police procedurals.

Highly recommend

Buehler445 05-28-2017 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BucEyedPea (Post 12891354)
I thought you watched some of Turn but didn't like it?

Hell on Wheels I didn't see and we both loved it. Netflix has now. So you can binge watch. Opening scene really hooked me to continue.

Just did Season 2 of The Last Kingdom, but it's hard to understand one time through with the British accents and it can be a bit confusing. Looking up some history, looking at some maps, and looking up a few terms from the era, then watching it through a 2nd time, I found it really enjoyable. I would have labled it mediocre unless I did all that.

Noticed you watched The Americans. I love that one. I watch it each season.

I love The Big Bang Theory too, but miss it too much.

Thanks for the heads up on Last Kingdom. I'll start that one. I'll put Hell on Wheels on the list. I guess I didn't realize I left it off.

Frazod 05-29-2017 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12892920)
Just finished watching the second season of Dark Matter on Netflix. Although it's very derivative of lots of other stuff (Alien crew meets Firefly with amnesia with little bits of Star Trek thrown in and a Mass Effect sounding score), I really enjoy it. Good cast, solid production and a couple of serious babes.

Season 3 starts on scifi next month. Got it programmed on the DVR. :thumb:

And since I'm kind of in a science fiction mood, now I'm five episodes into The Expanse. I really like this one.

mr. tegu 05-29-2017 05:39 AM

Anyone watch the Brad Pitt Netflix movie, War Machine yet? Looks entertaining.

Nickhead 05-29-2017 03:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 12893123)
Anyone watch the Brad Pitt Netflix movie, War Machine yet? Looks entertaining.

it is :D

keg in kc 05-29-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Frazod (Post 12893104)
And since I'm kind of in a science fiction mood, now I'm five episodes into The Expanse. I really like this one.

We have an expanse thread on here somewhere. Really good series of books that's based on. Show really goes to another level in season 2.

If you haven't watched it yet, Dark Matter's companion show on Syfy is (or has been, not sure if they're still blocked together later this summer...) Killjoys, which is about as close to Firefly as you can get these days. Really good show, too.

Frazod 05-29-2017 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12893457)
We have an expanse thread on here somewhere. Really good series of books that's based on. Show really goes to another level in season 2.

If you haven't watched it yet, Dark Matter's companion show on Syfy is (or has been, not sure if they're still blocked together later this summer...) Killjoys, which is about as close to Firefly as you can get these days. Really good show, too.

Thanks for the recommendation. If I can find a stream for it, I'll add it to the list.

Might start messing with my head keeping all of the dark dreary story lines straight, though. :D

keg in kc 05-29-2017 05:25 PM

Killjoy's is pretty light. Though some dark shit happens from time to time... Overall a lighter show than Dark Matter.

Frazod 05-29-2017 05:30 PM

Expanse is definitely not light. It's kind of like Game of Thrones in space.

keg in kc 05-29-2017 05:40 PM

Half of SA Corey, AKA the "person" behind The Expanse, is GRRM protege Daniel Abraham...

The other half is Ty Franck. Basically the novels are written collaboratively by two guys, and they're heavily involved with the tv production, too.

It's the most expensive show syfy has ever done, and it shows.

Frazod 05-29-2017 06:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12893522)
Half of SA Corey, AKA the "person" behind The Expanse, is GRRM protege Daniel Abraham...

The other half is Ty Franck. Basically the novels are written collaboratively by two guys, and they're heavily involved with the tv production, too.

It's the most expensive show syfy has ever done, and it shows.

Yeah, it's amazing. And of all the sci-fi shows I've watched, the situations, technology and effects of spending generations in space in this one seem the most realistic. Thoughtful, intelligent and thoroughly grounded in real science. I'll always love Star Trek but this is to Star Trek what Star Trek is to Flash Gordon.

keg in kc 06-09-2017 05:15 PM

Started watching The Last Kingdom yesterday on Netflix. 12 hours later with half a season to go I feel safe in saying this is a really, really good show.

Fansy the Famous Bard 06-09-2017 08:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by keg in kc (Post 12910108)
Started watching The Last Kingdom yesterday on Netflix. 12 hours later with half a season to go I feel safe in saying this is a really, really good show.

It is underrated for sure

Buehler445 06-09-2017 10:26 PM

Quote:

I was impressed too after not even having heard of it before.

Season 2 is out also.

Baby Lee 06-11-2017 07:54 PM

Quote:

ROFL - your posts got me to start watching this weekend. When I got to the scene where he's jamming Wings' 'Jet' at the party, I decided to give it a listen. And 90% of the comments on the official video on youtube is from the past year people saying 'who's here because of that scene in Love?'

Baby Lee 06-14-2017 02:41 AM

Quote:

Finished season two, and made the mistake of reading some episode reviews.

I liked the nuance of the show, and the fine line splitting of the leads' foibles. And even though the situations and crises were scarcely veiled rehashes of rom-com tropes, the updating and details were well crafted.

But man, as toxic as politics has been in the past couple years, it doesn't have SHIT on the toxicity of side-taking on relationships. The hot takes on this show may have frayed the last vestiges of my hope in humanity.

unlurking 06-14-2017 06:18 AM

My favorite scene is where the two start trying to tank their date. The waiter was hilarious too.

Baby Lee 06-14-2017 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by unlurking (Post 12915737)
My favorite scene is where the two start trying to tank their date. The waiter was hilarious too.

The humor there was a highlight. Don't know if it was funnier when;

Spoiler!

Baby Lee 06-14-2017 10:09 PM

Carmichael show is back with stremph!!

They've assembled a cracker-jack cast, and they're hitting on all cylinders.

Reminds me of Everybody Loves Raymond.

Miles 06-14-2017 11:07 PM

So is Love a thumbs up for watching? Have held off due to generally not liking or perhaps just not getting whatever humor Paul Rust is supposed to have from a few comedy bang bang episodes.

Baby Lee 06-14-2017 11:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Miles (Post 12917219)
So is Love a thumbs up for watching? Have held off due to generally not liking or perhaps just not getting whatever humor Paul Rust is supposed to have from a few comedy bang bang episodes.

Don't base it on Rust's comedic persona.

Whether you like it or not depends on your taste for the Apatow touch applied to the traditional romcom, updated for LA millenials.

Rust plays a very Apatowish beta male. Think Rudd in This is 40, except he's a tutor for a child actor who is trying to get his foot in the door in TV writing. He's not at all like his comedy persona. If anything he's cringe-inducing in his insecurity and geekiness [but in an interesting way].

Jacobs plays your typical hot mess [stress on hot] with addictive tendencies.

It's a pretty thorough exploration of the pitfalls of relationships with both having their good and bad traits. In updating the genre, Apatow does a good job of superficially masking the cliched situations he runs the narrative through, but you can see it when you step back and assess it objectively.

I don't want to talk it up or down, and I definitely don't want to color your experience by weighing in on their characters after the fact. If you like Apatow's style, this fits right comfortably in there. Kind of a modern LA schlub's version of Woody Allen-lite.

Miles 06-15-2017 12:06 AM

Thanks. That helps quite a lot and will give it a try. I generally like Apatow but after a strong run he does have some misses.

Baby Lee 06-18-2017 10:55 PM

Another Veep zinger

Dikembe Matumb-tard.

Pepe Silvia 06-19-2017 01:59 PM

Veep is an awesome series.

MahiMike 06-19-2017 06:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by PackerinMo (Post 12922585)
Veep is an awesome series.

Is it really?

Pepe Silvia 06-21-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MahiMike (Post 12922935)
Is it really?

NO.

Baby Lee 06-22-2017 12:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12917156)
Carmichael show is back with stremph!!

They've assembled a cracker-jack cast, and they're hitting on all cylinders.

Reminds me of Everybody Loves Raymond.

"OH LORD! I miss Florentine's

Got me up here on my birthday, eatin' with all these n-. . . "

Holy Shit!

Nickhead 06-22-2017 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Baby Lee (Post 12926021)
"OH LORD! I miss Florentine's

Got me up here on my birthday, eatin' with all these n-. . . "

Holy Shit!

every now and then a show falls thru the cracks and i forget i wanted to see it. gonna binge it now. off for the next three to four days. (can you believe they've got a yank delivering water to customers ROFL). but i digress...

thanks for the reminder... love the potential of david allen greer in this role. it's like an alternate version of married with children. :D

Buehler445 06-27-2017 08:43 PM

Quote:

I just finished season 2. It is really good.

Initially, that monologue at the beginning is really bad IMO. That I am Uhtred son of Uhtred crap really doesn't follow the tone and nuance written into the show. That and he does a bad job of reading it trying to sound tough. It took me awhile, but if you watch the show while ignoring it, the show is really good. It's unfortunate that it takes me so far out of the show.

Back to the show, the action is really good. They spent some real money on it and it shows.

The plot was solid. The characters were fleshed out pretty well. I cared about the characters and the story. Beocca's story line in particular was well done. When they returned to camp and he was looking for Uhtred's sister was goddamned compelling television.

Watch it if you haven't and you are into medieval/viking stuff.

Baby Lee 07-01-2017 11:34 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Nickhead (Post 12926033)
every now and then a show falls thru the cracks and i forget i wanted to see it. gonna binge it now. off for the next three to four days. (can you believe they've got a yank delivering water to customers ROFL). but i digress...

thanks for the reminder... love the potential of david allen greer in this role. it's like an alternate version of married with children. :D

Catch it while you can. Network cancelled it. Don't know the details of why. News just broke this morning.

Preliminarily, sounds like Carmichael wasn't in the mood to back off controversy and network wanted a safe sitcom instead.

Pity.