ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Looks like Spagnuolo [favorite for] DC (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320843)

Jimmya 01-23-2019 09:57 AM

Not really considered a risk taker by most means.

VAChief 01-23-2019 09:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 14066449)
...with an S.

:D

ROFL

Chris Meck 01-23-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14066524)
I don’t get this at all.

Switching to a 4-3 does next to nothing to limit the DEs. All it will do is take pass coverage out of the equation for guys like Speaks, Houston, Kpass... guys who don’t belong in coverage.

the only thing it does is make Ford no longer viable. Which is fine, really, as one dimensional as he is. Tag and try to trade and get something from him. Bowles might want him in Tampa?

RunKC 01-23-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14066493)
The most positive thing I can say about this is that Spags will figure out how to use Kpass and Speaks

Hitchens too man. He was good in a 4-3. O’Daniel fits nicely as a 4-3 backer as well.

O.city 01-23-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14066547)
Guy's a JAG.

There might be a marginal upgrade here but this is organizational cowardice; known mediocrity over taking a chance on a guy who actually be a force multplier of some sort.

Even money says our defense is again in the bottom 1/3 of the league in most meaningful categories next year. If we're lucky we'll win the next shootout in January but Spags won't do anything to help us avoid it. There's just very little 'there' there. He's sizzle over steak and has been since he was exposed with the Rams. He has 1 halfway decent defense over the last 10 seasons to his credit and a whole bunch of pretty shitty ones.

Whats the other options?

Rex Ryan?

I don't know how much force multiplier a defensive Coordinator can be. It's such a talent determined position, I dunno.

BleedingRed 01-23-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by In58men (Post 14066551)
You seem like a miserable individual.

We should have stayed with Sutton.

Well I mean facts are facts,

the only times this guy fielded any defense worth talking about he had amazing pass rushing and decent to great secondaries.

9 Years as a DC/HC and only 3 has fielded a top10 unit

pugsnotdrugs19 01-23-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 14066531)
We do not know how Houston will play at DE that is a question mark. We do know Ford cannot play DE in a 4-3 so he is gone.

So you are taking 2 of our 3 best pass rushers and putting question marks next to them.

WTF do you mean we don’t know how Houston will do? He’s a good run defender and a solid pass rusher. He played in a 4-3 at Georgia. He’ll be fine.

Chris Meck 01-23-2019 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Jimmya (Post 14066554)
Not really considered a risk taker by most means.

He's a heavy blitzer, according to everything I read, so I don't know what you mean by that.

Titty Meat 01-23-2019 09:59 AM

I'd rather have Mike Smith other this scrub

dirk digler 01-23-2019 09:59 AM

It is not surprising though for him to pick Spags. Reid wants a DC he doesn't have to babysit and he gives them total control pretty much.

BleedingRed 01-23-2019 09:59 AM

P.S. He plays a SHIT TON of soft zone

El Jefe 01-23-2019 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 14066525)
I agree it is easier, but make no mistake about it. It will be a defensive rebuild, would have preferred any 3-4 coach to a rebuild.

Personally, I don't understand how the defense will need rebuilt. All of our 3-4 DE's/OLB's will transition fine, because frankly, they suck in coverage. So for Ford, Houston, and the others, their job becomes easier. DT's not much of a change. Our LB's are better suited for 4-3 (Hitch thrived at Dallas) Ragland is from Bama and knows the 4-3, not much will change in the back end. I have no clue all the disparaging comments about rough this will be, going from a 4-3 to a 3-4 is brutal, that would be much more concerning.

Jimmya 01-23-2019 10:00 AM

Patriots about to hire Schiano to replace Flores....

In58men 01-23-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 14066562)
Well I mean facts are facts,

the only times this guy fielded any defense worth talking about he had amazing pass rushing and decent to great secondaries.

9 Years as a DC/HC and only 3 has fielded a top10 unit

You don’t take into consideration the players talent?

He’s definitely an upgrade. Can’t really complain about that.

kcclone 01-23-2019 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BleedingRed (Post 14066548)
I've watched the Cowboys, Bills, and Texans do it....

It is a MAJOR TRANSITION

We need an overhaul on defensive personnel regardless. In the next two drafts we'll go heavy D in the top 4 rounds both years.

We already have Speaks and Kpass that are nearly worthless in the 3-4. Houston can make the transition. Dee Ford, probably not so much.

Chris Jones will be flexible enough to play DE or DT, depending on situation.

Need some better DB's (like we already knew).

Reggie and Hitchens are probably better suited for 4-3 also. Hitchens has looked horrible since switching.

The personnel may be closer than you think. And that may have been part of our problem recently.