ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Building a defense in the modern NFL (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=319009)

Chris Meck 11-23-2018 01:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigRedChief (Post 13910659)
Agreed. Having great Interior DL's and Safety's are going to be the keys in the 2019 NFL. Every team will be moving to a high flying offense as soon as possible. They are not going to stop the offenses but they just need to slow then down. We should sign Earl Thomas and spend the 1st and two 2nd's on the DL, safety and ILB.

I agree. Although I might lean more towards a Landon Collins just on the age difference.

Chris Meck 11-23-2018 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaa1025 (Post 13910519)
I don't think the offenses have changed much to be honest. There are just more offenses doing what Peyton Manning, Tom Brady, Drew Brees etc led offenses did: Spread teams out and pass more. It's the changing of the guard and scoring will dip as those QB's retire.

2018 is a mere .8 PPG higher than the 2013 season. 2017, scoring was down to the lowest since 2009 at 21.7 PPG, a full point lower at least than the previous 3 seasons.

It's incremental; and while the league overall is only up a little, the elite offenses are taking advantage of the new rules and increased emphasis on any contact downfield. In the postseason, these are the teams you will need to beat, and what you need to try to build a defense to stop.

Chris Meck 11-23-2018 02:26 PM

I go ahead and switch to a 4-3 (which is actually almost a 4-2-5)
Let Ford walk, no position in a 4-3, too expensive for a situational player. Let Bailey walk as well.
I sign Geno Atkins with some of Ford's money. Houston-Jones-Atkins-Speaks at DE, hand in the dirt at about 280 lbs

I play: FA coverbacker (several options) -Hitchens- O'Daniel
I sign Landon Collins and play Watts/Lucas in the other slot. if Berry returns we're ****ing great, but I'm not expecting it.
I hope Tremon Smith can take a job from Scandrick or Nelson, opposite Fuller. look for undervalued speed at CB in FA and draft. Just get faster, nothing else matters. Just so guys don't look wide open running down the field.

In rounds 1 and 2a, 2b I take: A DT with some pass rush ability, probably another Safety, and another speed CB. Middle rounds I'm drafting OL. Late rounds athletic projects as they are available for any position.

Just my hypothetical .02

Easy 6 11-23-2018 04:09 PM

You're not the only one holding out some hope for Tremon Smith

He quickly claimed a starting special teams role, with any luck that bodes well for him

Chargem 11-23-2018 04:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 13910949)
I go ahead and switch to a 4-3 (which is actually almost a 4-2-5)
Let Ford walk, no position in a 4-3, too expensive for a situational player. Let Bailey walk as well.
I sign Geno Atkins with some of Ford's money. Houston-Jones-Atkins-Speaks at DE, hand in the dirt at about 280 lbs

I play: FA coverbacker (several options) -Hitchens- O'Daniel
I sign Landon Collins and play Watts/Lucas in the other slot. if Berry returns we're ****ing great, but I'm not expecting it.
I hope Tremon Smith can take a job from Scandrick or Nelson, opposite Fuller. look for undervalued speed at CB in FA and draft. Just get faster, nothing else matters. Just so guys don't look wide open running down the field.

In rounds 1 and 2a, 2b I take: A DT with some pass rush ability, probably another Safety, and another speed CB. Middle rounds I'm drafting OL. Late rounds athletic projects as they are available for any position.

Just my hypothetical .02

I like a lot of this, but I don't think you draft another safety high if you have collins and Berry on the roster.

I also think Atkins signed an extension with the Bengals, so he's unavailable.

Rain Man 11-23-2018 04:57 PM

I mentioned this someplace a while back, but my thoughts are that turnovers are getting amplified. A turnover has never in NFL history been more likely to prevent points and more like to produce points.

Since defenders aren't allowed to touch the offense any more, that means that the most valuable player is a ball hawking free safety. He's in the best position to get interceptions without having penalties called on him.

I agree that interior pass rushers are the wave of the future.

As for cornerbacks, I feel like the future is smaller ultra-quick cornerbacks. They can't fight for the ball, so they have the beat the receivers to the ball. This is a risky move, though, given that bigger WRs can be pinpointed over their heads.

kccrow 11-23-2018 05:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargem (Post 13911051)
I like a lot of this, but I don't think you draft another safety high if you have collins and Berry on the roster.

You're correct, he signed a 4-year extension before the season.

kccrow 11-23-2018 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13911081)
I mentioned this someplace a while back, but my thoughts are that turnovers are getting amplified. A turnover has never in NFL history been more likely to prevent points and more like to produce points.

Since defenders aren't allowed to touch the offense any more, that means that the most valuable player is a ball hawking free safety. He's in the best position to get interceptions without having penalties called on him.

As for cornerbacks, I feel like the future is smaller ultra-quick cornerbacks. They can't fight for the ball, so they have the beat the receivers to the ball. This is a risky move, though, given that bigger WRs can be pinpointed over their heads.

Yep. Cut off the quick passing game and force turnovers = Fast Interior Lineman + Coverage LBs + Quick DBs that can mirror routes

chiefzilla1501 11-23-2018 06:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rain Man (Post 13911081)

I think you can still have big press corners. But we need rangier lbs and safeties need to do their job. I don't love Ragland this year.

The big strength we have now that I don't want to go away is versatility. A lot of our defenders can play multiple positions and techniques. The under scheme does a great job of mixing things up. I'm not convinced our current scheme consistently uses our talent the right way.

Chris Meck 11-23-2018 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chargem (Post 13911051)

I'm not seeing that signing anywhere....but if so, bummer. Another like player then...

WhiteWhale 11-23-2018 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 13911194)
I'm not seeing that signing anywhere....but if so, bummer. Another like player then...

I googled it and it was pretty easy to find.

Details:

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/cincinna...o-atkins-6628/