ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Football Falcons taking calls on Julio Jones (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=338036)

Halfcan 05-25-2021 08:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kccrow (Post 15682790)
So, as much as I'm not on board with trading for Julio I do realize it "could" be brilliant for a couple seasons so I'll at least present a theoretical cap exercise...

Convert 10.5m of Frank Clark's salary to signing bonus. Gives 7.0m in space and adds 3.5m to each year in the next 2, keeping him cuttable (especially after 2022 when I think it'll happen).

Convert 2.0m of Harrison Butker's salary to signing bonus. Gives 1.6m in space and adds 0.4m to each year in the next 4.

Gives the Chiefs about 16,475,208 in space.

Convert 5.7 of Julio's base to bonus, turning this year's hit into 11.50m and each of the next 2 into 14.213 with dead money of 5.4 and 2.7m in respective seasons (easily cuttable if he falls of the cliff).

Leaves the Chiefs with 4,975,208 in space to operate in the season which is near what Veach tries to carry regularly.

The question is draft compensation. No more than a 3rd but the ideal would be a 4th similar to Moss to NE back in the day as much as that may be unlikely.

Worth it to have the BEST offense the entire universe has ever seen.

lcarus 05-25-2021 08:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RealSNR (Post 15686489)
At least it’s not Craphonso

What were the parents thinking with that name?

ForeverIowan 05-25-2021 08:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15686553)
I know what restructure means, you mouthy little ****.

Jones is under contract. He is under NO obligation to restructure or agree to an extension of ANY kind.

The Chiefs approached Justin Houston about restructuring in 2019. He refused and was cut.

The Chiefs approached Ty Hill this offseason about restructuring. He refused.

Players don't restructure out of the goodness of their hearts, dumbass.

You are the biggest ****ing moron on this board. They asked Houston to take a MAJOR pay cut. Not a restructure. Just stop posting.

tredadda 05-25-2021 09:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverIowan (Post 15686268)
No point in trying to reason with them. They are utterly clueless.

If Julio is still as good as you are claiming, why can't Atlanta get even a 2nd for him?

ForeverIowan 05-25-2021 09:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 15686569)
If Julio is still as good as you are claiming, why can't Atlanta get even a 2nd for him?

The same reason Aaron Rodgers wouldn't pull the same draft capital in a trade as Deshaun Watson (pre legal issues). Julio is likely going to be a 2-3 year rental. He isn't going to be a cornerstone of your franchise for the next decade plus. Aaron Rodgers is the superior player currently but won't demand near the same draft capital in a trade market.

For the record I have stated I think the Falcons end up getting more than anticipated and speculated currently. We will find out soon.

tredadda 05-25-2021 09:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverIowan (Post 15686578)
The same reason Aaron Rodgers wouldn't pull the same draft capital in a trade as Deshaun Watson (pre legal issues). Julio is likely going to be a 2-3 year rental. He isn't going to be a cornerstone of your franchise for the next decade plus. Aaron Rodgers is the superior player currently but won't demand near the same draft capital in a trade market.

For the record I have stated I think the Falcons end up getting more than anticipated and speculated currently. We will find out soon.

Rodgers, while he wouldn't have commanded as much as Watson still would have drawn multiple 1st rounders. Julio probably wouldn't cost what a DK Metcalf or Tyreek Hill would cost either. That's not the point. He, at this point, is not even worth a 2nd round pick. For someone as elite as he supposedly still is a second rounder for him is a steal. Teams apparently don't see him as being worth even that.

FloridaMan88 05-25-2021 09:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcarus (Post 15686558)
What were the parents thinking with that name?

Foreshadowing his crappy NFL career.

ForeverIowan 05-25-2021 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 15686581)
Rodgers, while he wouldn't have commanded as much as Watson still would have drawn multiple 1st rounders. Julio probably wouldn't cost what a DK Metcalf or Tyreek Hill would cost either. That's not the point. He, at this point, is not even worth a 2nd round pick. For someone as elite as he supposedly still is a second rounder for him is a steal. Teams apparently don't see him as being worth even that.

You are comparing a quarterback to a wide receiver though. The NFL MVP quarterback at that. QB driven league. Julio is still an elite wide receiver but he isn't going to pull comparable draft compensation as an elite QB. Keep in mind DeAndre Hopkins was just traded for a bag of footballs at 27 years old (yes I know it was an all-time horrid trade).

htismaqe 05-25-2021 10:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverIowan (Post 15686534)
Please...enlighten us all...how was that post a fail? When Julio is traded his deal will be restructured. Period. Do you disagree? Your boy over there just continually says OVER and OVER the deal isn't possible from a financial perspective which couldn't be further from the truth. You don't want to give up the draft capital? Fine - I understand. Just please stop acting like you understand the cap when you very clearly do not.

So let me get this straight.

Instead of taking the 1 year $15M cap hit, your plan is to trade away 2nd and 3rd round picks for a 32-year old WR with an injury history and actually make him MORE expensive down the road, so that cutting him gets harder over time instead of easier.

ROFL

And for the record, it's always been about BOTH the money AND the draft picks. They're both part of the deal and part of what it would take to get him. You want to split it up to make it sound like people are being unreasonable but the reality is that it's too much to give up, in terms of money AND draft picks, for a 1-year rental of a guy that might actually not be able to play a full season.

htismaqe 05-25-2021 10:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by -King- (Post 15686555)
Most restructures are automatic and even if they're not, they're welcome by players because they get the money immediately.

Why if Julio was traded here, would he refuse a restructure?

Julio Jones' 2021 salary is fully-guaranteed.

There's absolutely no reason for him to restructure. He's guaranteed to get all $15M this season, no matter what.

-King- 05-25-2021 11:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15686609)
So let me get this straight.

Instead of taking the 1 year $15M cap hit, your plan is to trade away 2nd and 3rd round picks for a 32-year old WR with an injury history and actually make him MORE expensive down the road, so that cutting him gets harder over time instead of easier.

ROFL

And for the record, it's always been about BOTH the money AND the draft picks. They're both part of the deal and part of what it would take to get him. You want to split it up to make it sound like people are being unreasonable but the reality is that it's too much to give up, in terms of money AND draft picks, for a 1-year rental of a guy that might actually not be able to play a full season.

A 1 year rental of a hall of famer who's 1 year removed from 6 consecutive 1300+ seasons? Yes please. Even in his injured year last year he was dominant.

It's weird how the $15 mil this year was such a sticking point to you and now, finding a way to reduce if is also a sticking point. So you just don't want to pay him at all huh?

Pasta Little Brioni 05-25-2021 11:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaneMcCloud (Post 15685985)
This conflating of Kelce as a WR is just out right dumb.

Sure, he has many of the qualities of a great WR but he lines up as a TE on the field and plays the TE position so therefore, he is NOT a Wide Receiver.

Was Tony Gonzales a WR? Antonio Gates? Is Zach Ertz a WR? How about Greg Olson or Jimmy Graham?

The answer is no, same as Kelce.

I don't give a ****. He's used out wide and gets WR targets. Stick to Hollyweird and music

-King- 05-25-2021 11:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 15686610)
Julio Jones' 2021 salary is fully-guaranteed.

There's absolutely no reason for him to restructure. He's guaranteed to get all $15M this season, no matter what.

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 15682138)
If Jones was a free agent and the Chiefs had signed him to 3/$36, we’d go nuts. That’s basically his current price.

I wonder if they could do something where they shift some 2021 salary into a bonus and add some guarantees to get him to re-do it?

Signing bonus: $15M

2021 base: $5M (fully guaranteed)
2022 base: $8M (5M guaranteed)
2023 base: $10M (5M guaranteed)

This gets him a slight increase in total pay as well as more guarantees and 3 cracks at a SB ring.

Not sure it’s enough motivation for him to change the deal, but it would work a little better than the current structure for KC.

And yes I'd be willing to add more guaranteed years to get a future hall of famer who has had 1 non all pro season in his last 7. Or figure out how to extend Mathieu and take the whole 15 mil this year. Either way works.

Dante84 05-25-2021 11:21 PM

What if we gave him 131 posts, guaranteed on signing netting him a minimum of 1,000?

The structure could look like:
869 posts (paid by Atlanta)
2021: 100 posts (guaranteed)
2022: 30 posts (again, guaranteed)
2023: 1 post (also guaranteed)

BossChief 05-26-2021 12:33 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverIowan (Post 15686550)
Holy Shit! Do you not know what a restructure means? Let me spell it out for you as CLEARLY as possible. Julio gets the same amount of money. THE.EXACT.SAME.AMOUNT. The team that trades for him simply shifts that money around over a certain time period to best suit their current and future needs/plans.

KC can only do a restructure after he’s a member of their team.

For the trade to be completed, we would need the cap space to cover his base salary. 15.2m.

Now, Atlanta could restructure the deal to facilitate a trade, but that would be the owner writing Julio a check for millions of dollars to leave...and that money would go straight to dead money fir them...not improving their situation.