ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Cardinals Release WR DeAndre Hopkins [Titans, 2yr/$26 million] (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=348846)

Megatron96 12-13-2023 04:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balto (Post 17278081)
I mostly agree about Travis BUT he might want to top TG in yards. If that's the case he might try to play another 3 or 4 years.

Anything is possible, especially when it concerns Travis.

However, he's been making some noise recently, last year and now this one, that he's really feeling the grind of the season, both physically and mentally. And now for the first time he's been openly talking about possibly retiring.

Also, he said in one of his podcasts that he's not trying to chase TG's yardage record.

I think he might play two more seasons. But you never know with these elite players. Their minds work a bit differently than everyone else's.

O.city 12-13-2023 04:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 17278274)
Not taking any viable receiver EXCEPT an All-Pro #1WR, it's either that or NOTHING is stupid.

If a guy has done it before, under this OC, in THIS system, and is 26 years old and likely to be inexpensive, you nab him. Mooney wouldn't preclude any other move, and gives you a young WR that's had an 80/1000 yard season.

You don't stop there. You don't call it good. You still fill the rest of the room with viable options with upside, but saying **** NO, HE'S NOT A #1WR is ****ing stupid.

You want to have a whole viable room of WR's.

That doesn't happen, no teams have that.

Get a high end guy, fill around him and move on.

Chris Meck 12-13-2023 05:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 17278294)
But you can see what we meant when we talked about WR1/wr2. We need adaptable WRs. Not a bunch of niche guys who play 1 specific role. We can’t have a bunch of 500-700 yard WRs let alone ones who can’t adapt to play outside their role. Those are great guys to fill the back of the wr depth chart not the front. Our plan was for WR1 to be a gadget guy who not surprisingly couldn’t adapt outside of that, wr2 to be a clearout guy, our slot guy was primarily a man beater who we thought could catch and run but had clear limitations beyond that. Rice is the only guy we have who feels like a Swiss Army knife and even still, we don’t fully know if he can consistently beat man coverage at the top level we need from a primary option.

That’s the bare minimum. We can’t even do that. Let alone the additional layer of WRs who can consistently and reliably run the right route (let alone a great one), catch a pass (let alone a difficult or contested pass). So we have a bunch of role players who are total inconsistent messes adjusting to the route and to the ball. That’s why we need a WR1. At the very least have the versatility to do lots of things, but for the love of god let’s finally give mahomes some guys who can work to get the ball just as hard as he works to get the ball to them.

These guys not only didn't improve in year two, they regressed to being unplayable.

There's a HUGE difference between solid, professional and absolute garbage.
A room full of solid professional WR and this team is on cruise control. Hell, just ONE, really.

Chris Meck 12-13-2023 05:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17278315)
You want to have a whole viable room of WR's.

That doesn't happen, no teams have that.

Get a high end guy, fill around him and move on.

Then one injury away from this.

FloridaMan88 12-13-2023 05:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17278148)
This was the year for the defense, it's time is over.

They're gonna go build the offense now, so yeah, the whole "#1 WR is fantasy talk" shit is not that.

A #1 WR is a guy you can force feed targets to and don't have to do any other bullshit to get him open. Pay him, throw him the ball, fill in the rest around him and be done with it.

And a legit #1 WR who can be the go to guy in the Chiefs passing game is needed now more than ever with Kelce turning 35 next season and possibly retiring.

Megatron96 12-13-2023 05:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Balto (Post 17278069)
I don't know. I think Veach's style is go all out on the biggest need and be aggressive in getting it fixed with a top talent.

Example would be we needed a DE...Veach goes and get the best he could in Frank Clark with high draft capital.

Needed tackle upgrade after Bucs killed Mahomes...Veach goes and gets OBJ jr. but that was after he went all out for Trent Williams, the best tackle in the NFL, and almost got him! THEN when OBJ jr came up for contract Veach went after Tunsil!

YES I do think Veach's approach for most positions is to get cheap vets and draft BUT if he has a big need like pass rush or OT has been the last couple of years he goes all out and is very aggressive. I see WR being this off seasons OT!

And YES I 100% believe he would give up draft pick/s and pay $20M for a top WR after what the team is going through this season. Thats still cheaper than what Hill would have been costing.

Problem with this idea is that the 2024 draft is supposed to be loaded with top prospects, and we don't have a ton of picks to trade away. Which is why I think Veach won't trade any top picks this time around, unless some kind of ridiculous unicorn deal falls in his lap.

But I do believe he'll try to load up on offensive skill players, hopefully a couple WRs and a TE before going after anymore defensive players.

But to be honest, I haven't correctly predicted what Veach will do in the draft or in FA for some time now, so your guess could be a as good as mine.

duncan_idaho 12-13-2023 06:00 PM

I’ve missed a lot of what has come over the past week. Absolutely insane week for work and personal. Nice distraction from the recent Chiefs letdown.

But diving back in… if KC is going to make another WR splash in FA, I think it’s going to follow Veach’s traditional model of targeting young players entering their second contract. I suspect that would put Marquise Brown pretty high on KC’s list should the Cardinals not re-sign or franchise tag him. Michael Pittman, Higgins, obviously would fit. I think Mooney would be a smaller target and would have to be paired with spending a significant draft resource on a receiving weapon.

Couch-Potato 12-13-2023 06:32 PM

I don't have anything against Mooney, he's just not the talent I think we're looking for. On a lighter contract, sure. Pittman or Ridley would be really nice. Hollywood would be quality get but is he a #1, prob not. Maybe there's a #1 WR type available for trade we're not considering, Metcalf would look great in red. Hell, maybe Hopkins is available in a trade. Lots of good WRs in the draft too, depends if you can pay for a #1 vet or have to develop a guy bc you spent all the cap space on D. Going to be a fun offseason!

philfree 12-13-2023 06:35 PM

I don't think Veach will trade a high draft pick for a WR that's going to need a new contract. I think he will address it though. FA and a draft pick is probably the route he will go. I won't be surprised if we draft another WR in the second round. Skyy will be given at least one more training camp to get it. He reminds me of the guy in Dr Death (if you've seen that show) screwing up the same play over and over.

Megatron96 12-13-2023 06:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 17278480)
I don't have anything against Mooney, he's just not the talent I think we're looking for. On a lighter contract, sure. Pittman or Ridley would be really nice. Hollywood would be quality get but is he a #1, prob not. Maybe there's a #1 WR type available for trade we're not considering, Metcalf would look great in red. Hell, maybe Hopkins is available in a trade. Lots of good WRs in the draft too, depends if you can pay for a #1 vet or have to develop a guy bc you spent all the cap space on D. Going to be a fun offseason!

I could get behind either Pittman or Ridley. Hollywood isn't ideal, imo. Great athlete, but not the best football player, imo.

I would love to get DHop, but since Levis is now likely TEN's new QB1 going forward, and he has a strong chemistry with Hopkins, i doubt he's going to be available.

Is there a list of potential FA WRs out there somewhere?

Megatron96 12-13-2023 06:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 17278483)
I don't think Veach will trade a high draft pick for a WR that's going to need a new contract. I think he will address it though. FA and a draft pick is probably the route he will go. I won't be surprised if we draft another WR in the second round. Skyy will be given at least one more training camp to get it. He reminds me of the guy in Dr Death (if you've seen that show) screwing up the same play over and over.

Skyy will be a Chief for at least another two seasons. Probably three.

FloridaMan88 12-13-2023 06:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 17278492)

God help us.

Megatron96 12-13-2023 06:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 17278496)
God help us.

Yeah, I'm not happy about it, but I don't see a way around it, given Andy's stubbornness about trying to fix players, plus the fact that Skyy won't have any trade value at all for the duration, most likely. unless BAL suddenly has a dire need for an elite run-blocking WR.

Ditto Toney, probably. But at least Toney has potential. Fix his head, and he could develop into a decent NFL WR.

chiefzilla1501 12-13-2023 07:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 17278491)
I could get behind either Pittman or Ridley. Hollywood isn't ideal, imo. Great athlete, but not the best football player, imo.

I would love to get DHop, but since Levis is now likely TEN's new QB1 going forward, and he has a strong chemistry with Hopkins, i doubt he's going to be available.

Hollywood doesn’t seem like he solves the issues we have. Focus and consistency. I feel like if we wanted him we would’ve traded for him

Couch-Potato 12-13-2023 07:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 17278491)

https://www.spotrac.com/nfl/free-age...ide-receiver//

Megatron96 12-13-2023 07:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 17278508)
Hollywood doesn’t seem like he solves the issues we have. Focus and consistency. I feel like if we wanted him we would’ve traded for him

I'm a Sooner fan, so I'll always root for Brown. But he's way undersized for a 1 or a 2, not the best route-runner, kind of average hands, and will not go and battle for contested balls. He also shies from contact, so unless he's wide open over the middle, he probably will alligator arm most passes between the numbers.

He would probably be a better version of Hardman though.

Megatron96 12-13-2023 07:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 17278513)

Damn. Lotta chaff in there.

philfree 12-13-2023 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 17278492)

I see one more year and if he doesn't improve he'll be gone. I could also see him being cut and placed on the PS in 2024 if he doesn't get it figured out. Would he clear waivers? At this point I think he might.

Megatron96 12-13-2023 07:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 17278526)
I see one more year and if he doesn't improve he'll be gone. I could also see him being cut and placed on the PS in 2024 if he doesn't get it figured out. Would he clear waivers? At this point I think he might.

I'm just saying, Andy loves reclamation projects, and he can be ridiculously stubborn about it. So long as Skyy doesn't become a lockerroom issue, or do something really stupid off the field and lie about it to Andy's face, he'll be a Chief for the duration of his rookie contract.

edit: I hope you're right, and that I'm totally wrong, though.

philfree 12-13-2023 07:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 17278532)
I'm just saying, Andy loves reclamation projects, and he can be ridiculously stubborn about it. So long as Skyy doesn't become a lockerroom issue, or do something really stupid off the field and lie about it to Andy's face, he'll be a Chief for the duration of his rookie contract.

edit: I hope you're right, and that I'm totally wrong, though.

I have a hard time seeing Veach and Andy putting Mahomes in the same situation next year as they did this year with underperforming WRs. It's obviously taking a toll on him.

duncan_idaho 12-13-2023 07:49 PM

I don't care about whether Brown fits a classic #1 receiver designation. I care about whether he adds an element to the offense that it needs.

What it needs most is a legit field-stretching threat who can track the ball, make the correct route adjustments, and catch the ball when it's thrown to him. He's got the quick stop-start Reid loves and is a good fit in the offense. He'd be a nice complement to Rice and a significant upgrade at the Z spot.

Mooney is a lesser version of that. Fast, can run the Z stuff, has had success in this offense and should be a relatively quick study.

duncan_idaho 12-13-2023 07:54 PM

Follow-up:

Feel pretty strongly if Mooney is the main FA add, they’re either spending a significant draft slot on another one or making a trade to pair with him.

He’s a nice complementary piece, but not a solution by himself.

Megatron96 12-13-2023 07:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by philfree (Post 17278541)
I have a hard time seeing Veach and Andy putting Mahomes in the same situation next year as they did this year with underperforming WRs. It's obviously taking a toll on him.

Like I said, I really, REALLY, hope you're right on this one.

Chief Pagan 12-13-2023 08:03 PM

Just stop with the RT bullshit. That money was being spent on OBJ or Taylor. So again you think we should have rolled with Niang, a rookie and Wylie and the best 2 start?

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 17278146)
And you are leaving Donovan Smith out of your nonsensical response... because?

Because it doesn't fit your dumbshit narrative?

Donovan Smith at LT and Wylie at RT... $11 million combined/year.

If KC could have known with high certainty that they would be able to sign Smith to a team friendly deal and that he would play well..., they wouldn't have had to been so desperate to sign Taylor.

But they didn't know that for sure.

Even if they had some type of verbal agreement, until he actually signs you don't know. And then until camp/preseason you never know for sure anyway what you are getting.

mlyonsd 12-13-2023 08:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 17278553)
Like I said, I really, REALLY, hope you're right on this one.

IMO Varch has done a pretty good job at addressing position groups with the money he has available. I still believe in him.

Chris Meck 12-13-2023 08:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17278550)
Follow-up:

Feel pretty strongly if Mooney is the main FA add, they’re either spending a significant draft slot on another one or making a trade to pair with him.

This is my assumption as well.

Megatron96 12-13-2023 08:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mlyonsd (Post 17278567)
IMO Varch has done a pretty good job at addressing position groups with the money he has available. I still believe in him.

I would agree with that. I just would also believe that Andy will keep Skyy around for the foreseeable future.

chiefzilla1501 12-13-2023 08:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17278547)
I don't care about whether Brown fits a classic #1 receiver designation. I care about whether he adds an element to the offense that it needs.

What it needs most is a legit field-stretching threat who can track the ball, make the correct route adjustments, and catch the ball when it's thrown to him. He's got the quick stop-start Reid loves and is a good fit in the offense. He'd be a nice complement to Rice and a significant upgrade at the Z spot.

Mooney is a lesser version of that. Fast, can run the Z stuff, has had success in this offense and should be a relatively quick study.

I don’t know man. I just don’t see it. We’ve had our share of inconsistent deep threats and I honestly don’t know that mahomes is a consistent deep shot qb. I lean way more a Calvin ridley or Michael Pittman type. Rashee feels at his best with a lot of the short catch and run stuff. But I just want a big target who always knows where to be and can catch a ball even if it’s in a different area code. What we’ve been missing this season isn’t the occasional explosive play, it’s an intermediate field target eater

duncan_idaho 12-13-2023 10:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 17278583)
I don’t know man. I just don’t see it. We’ve had our share of inconsistent deep threats and I honestly don’t know that mahomes is a consistent deep shot qb. I lean way more a Calvin ridley or Michael Pittman type. Rashee feels at his best with a lot of the short catch and run stuff. But I just want a big target who always knows where to be and can catch a ball even if it’s in a different area code. What we’ve been missing this season isn’t the occasional explosive play, it’s an intermediate field target eater

I can't see KC dipping big for Ridley given his age.

Pittman, sure.

Considering the Chiefs' inefficiency on throws of 20+, they definitely are missing the occasional explosive play, and teams have stepped away from the 2 deep safety looks as a result.

They need a deep threat and a 3-levels winner. Even if Brown is not a 3-levels winner (and he has exhibited that ability at times), he's a rather nice upgrade at the Z spot.

IowaHawkeyeChief 12-13-2023 10:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 17278146)
And you are leaving Donovan Smith out of your nonsensical response... because?

Because it doesn't fit your dumbshit narrative?

Donovan Smith at LT and Wylie at RT... $11 million combined/year.

Dude, you know exactly how this played out so why are you being obtuse...

We were going to sign either OBJ or Taylor, period. OBJ would have continued at LT if we signed him. Instead he didn't like our number and we moved on to Taylor, who would play LT, if we found no other option in free agency, and probably resign Wylie for our RT. Veach got Donovan Smith which allowed Taylor to continue playing RT, which is more or less just as important as LT in today's NFL with speed elite edge rushers going to the weakest link. Having Taylor and Smith, is actually cheaper than if we had kept Wylie with Taylor, or had signed OBJ instead of Taylor. They were signing one of them, period.

Can you imagine if we started the season with Smith and Wylie. LMAO, this place would have gone mad.

FloridaMan88 12-13-2023 10:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IowaHawkeyeChief (Post 17278646)
Dude, you know exactly how this played out so why are you being obtuse...

We were going to sign either OBJ or Taylor, period. OBJ would have continued at LT if we signed him. Instead he didn't like our number and we moved on to Taylor, who would play LT, if we found no other option in free agency, and probably resign Wylie for our RT. Veach got Donovan Smith which allowed Taylor to continue playing RT, which is more or less just as important as LT in today's NFL with speed elite edge rushers going to the weakest link. Having Taylor and Smith, is actually cheaper than if we had kept Wylie with Taylor, or had signed OBJ instead of Taylor. They were signing one of them, period.

Can you imagine if we started the season with Smith and Wylie. LMAO, this place would have gone mad.

Holy shit, this is almost as Reerunned as your “Skyy Moore is improving because he is a good blocker” take. LMAO

Paying $20 million/year for a RT who is on pace to set the all time single season penalty record for an individual player… at the expense of investing in actual NFL-caliber WR’s… was a failed decision.

ChiefsFanatic 12-13-2023 11:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 17278661)
Holy shit, this is almost as Reerunned as your “Skyy Moore is improving because he is a good blocker” take. LMAO

Paying $20 million/year for a RT who is on pace to set the all time single season penalty record for an individual player… at the expense of investing in actual NFL-caliber WR’s… was a failed decision.

Saying Wylie and Niang were not viable at RT, so we HAD to sign a free agent, but then saying we won a SB with the receivers, so they didn't need to be upgraded, is hypocritical bullshit. We obviously won the FN Super Bowl with Wylie and Niang as well.

I understand why people don't want to criticize Veach. He was the Champion for Mahomes being drafted, and is currently responsible for 2 SB rings. And it's the same thing for Reid. I get why people don't want to be critical of their performance.

But, Veach miscalculated when he didn't add a high level veteran to replace JuJu, he doubled down at the trade deadline, and we have looked like a poorly coached team all season. Drops, fumbles, penalties, special teams, etc. are still an issue for this team in week 14.

Taylor is not good. Smith is not good. They aren't bad, they are just not good.

Couch-Potato 12-14-2023 08:54 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17278550)
Follow-up:

Yup, if Mooney is our FA add then maybe we go RD 1 WR.

If somehow M. Evans is the FA addition, we prob wait until RD 2-3 to draft a WR.

O.city 12-14-2023 08:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17278641)
I can't see KC dipping big for Ridley given his age.

Pittman, sure.

Considering the Chiefs' inefficiency on throws of 20+, they definitely are missing the occasional explosive play, and teams have stepped away from the 2 deep safety looks as a result.

They need a deep threat and a 3-levels winner. Even if Brown is not a 3-levels winner (and he has exhibited that ability at times), he's a rather nice upgrade at the Z spot.

We need a legit badass at WR. Enough with the "deep threat here, middle here, this there".

Go get a guy that can do it all, fill around it.

OnTheWarpath15 12-14-2023 09:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17278867)
We need a legit badass at WR. Enough with the "deep threat here, middle here, this there".

Yep.

Everyone thinks the only way to play offense is to have burners all over the field, deep ball deep ball deep ball. Mooney and Moore go BBBBRRRRRRR FAST, we need them.

AJ Brown runs a 4.5 40. Would anyone be upset to have AJ Brown on this roster?

I don't care how they do it, but get a legit WR1 to pair with Rice and the last year or two of Kelce and this offense will SING

O.city 12-14-2023 09:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 17278881)
Yep.

Everyone thinks the only way to play offense is to have burners all over the field, deep ball deep ball deep ball. Mooney and Moore go BBBBRRRRRRR FAST, we need them.

I don't care how they do it, but get a legit WR1 to pair with Rice and the last year or two of Kelce and this offense will SING

AJ brown has a top 10 draft pick WR across from him as well.

Yes, paid Rice with another Wr that can actually do it all and let these other guys fill around it.

OnTheWarpath15 12-14-2023 09:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17278882)
AJ brown has a top 10 draft pick WR across from him as well.

Yes, paid Rice with another Wr that can actually do it all and let these other guys fill around it.

Crazy that some folks would prefer we just keep accumulating Mecole Hardman clones.

duncan_idaho 12-14-2023 09:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17278867)

That's what the "3-levels winner" is. Short, intermediate, deep. I'm saying they need the guy who can do everything, and they need a better deep threat.

duncan_idaho 12-14-2023 09:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 17278881)
Yep.

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 17278887)
Crazy that some folks would prefer we just keep accumulating Mecole Hardman clones.

Who is asking for a Mecole Hardman clone?

Darnell Mooney is a second-tier target. Is that what has you worked up?

If the FA pool doesn't work out, they don't land a front-tier option, he's a useful second-tier target who has some familiarity with the offense, good production in his recent past, and some potential to unlock more than he's shown in a better passing offense.

Marquise Brown is not a Hardman clone. He's an upgraded version of Hardman, with more actual legitimate WR skills.

Everyone agrees they need to make upgrades at WR, but there are multiple paths to it.

Mecca 12-14-2023 09:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17278905)
Who is asking for a Mecole Hardman clone?

Darnell Mooney is a second-tier target. Is that what has you worked up?

If the FA pool doesn't work out, they don't land a front-tier option, he's a useful second-tier target who has some familiarity with the offense, good production in his recent past, and some potential to unlock more than he's shown in a better passing offense.

Marquise Brown is not a Hardman clone. He's an upgraded version of Hardman, with more actual legitimate WR skills.

Everyone agrees they need to make upgrades at WR, but there are multiple paths to it.

This is going to be a much better WR FA and draft year than last year, if what they do is marginal it is by choice.

DJ's left nut 12-14-2023 09:28 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefsFanatic (Post 17278690)
Saying Wylie and Niang were not viable at RT, so we HAD to sign a free agent, but then saying we won a SB with the receivers, so they didn't need to be upgraded, is hypocritical bullshit. We obviously won the FN Super Bowl with Wylie and Niang as well.

I understand why people don't want to criticize Veach. He was the Champion for Mahomes being drafted, and is currently responsible for 2 SB rings. And it's the same thing for Reid. I get why people don't want to be critical of their performance.

But, Veach miscalculated when he didn't add a high level veteran to replace JuJu, he doubled down at the trade deadline, and we have looked like a poorly coached team all season. Drops, fumbles, penalties, special teams, etc. are still an issue for this team in week 14.

Taylor is not good. Smith is not good. They aren't bad, they are just not good.

With a hurt quarterback.

I'm 100% okay with Veach prioritizing upgrades on the OL this past off-season. Now it's an open question as to whether or not he succeeded, but the philosophy was absolutely defensible.

O.city 12-14-2023 09:28 AM

I may be way off here but.....I'd rather have Hardman at his price than Hollywood at his.

If I'm gonna spend at WR, go spend and get results.

O.city 12-14-2023 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17278912)
With a hurt quarterback.

I'm 100% okay with Veach prioritizing upgrades on the OL this past off-season. Now it's an open question as to whether or not he succeeded, but the philosophy was absolutely defensible.

Prime example on why FA can be fools gold. You don't know the guy til you get him in the building.

Now I dont' think Taylor has been bad at all outside the penalties (other than that how was the play Mrs Lincoln) but it hasn't worked out.

duncan_idaho 12-14-2023 09:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17278908)
This is going to be a much better WR FA and draft year than last year, if what they do is marginal it is by choice.

Right.

And I don't expect that they'll do something like Darnell Mooney or Curtis Samuel and call it good. If the top FA addition is in that tier, they're spending significant resources to draft someone at a premium spot, or trading for someone.

O.city 12-14-2023 09:31 AM

When you have a legit guy in front of him, Hardamn can put up 5 - 6 Td's and 700 yards.

Paid what he'll be paid, that's valuable.

chiefzilla1501 12-14-2023 09:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17278913)
I may be way off here but.....I'd rather have Hardman at his price than Hollywood at his.

It makes me a little uneasy but I kinda thing it would work if you surround him with the right guys. I’d rather use our best resources to get us more reliability.

OnTheWarpath15 12-14-2023 09:35 AM

Quote:

That's my point - if healthy and the 4th option behind Rice, Kelce and a legit WR1, Hardman gives you what Mooney does at likely 1/10th the cost. Spotrac seems to think Mooney's market value is $10M a season.

**** that.

O.city 12-14-2023 09:36 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 17278928)
That's my point - if healthy, Hardman gives you what Mooney does at likely 1/10th the cost. Spotrac seems to think Mooney's market value is $10M a season.

**** that.

Inflation at the WR spot....so yea, that's about right.

I'd not do that myself either.

DJ's left nut 12-14-2023 09:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17278916)
Prime example on why FA can be fools gold. You don't know the guy til you get him in the building.

Now I dont' think Taylor has been bad at all outside the penalties (other than that how was the play Mrs Lincoln) but it hasn't worked out.

I agree - absent the penalties I think Taylor's been an upgrade on Wylie. And in the end penalties are annoying but they don't get PM hurt. I'll take an improvement on the field even at the cost of more penalties if that helps keep our quarterback healthy.

It's like relief pitchers that walk guys. It's annoying. You'd rather see them not do that. But if you have one reliever with a walk issue and another reliever that gives up too many homers - gimme the one that walks guys.

That all being said, for the cost he's been a disappointment.

O.city 12-14-2023 09:38 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17278934)
I agree - absent the penalties I think Taylor's been an upgrade on Wylie. And in the end penalties are annoying but they don't get PM hurt. I'll take an improvement on the field even at the cost of more penalties if that helps keep our quarterback healthy.

But for the cost he's been a disappointment.

Absolutely.

But also....you wanted him so you wear this scarlett letter.

Mecca 12-14-2023 09:38 AM

Quote:

That's my point - if healthy and the 4th option behind Rice, Kelce and a legit WR1, Hardman gives you what Mooney does at likely 1/10th the cost. Spotrac seems to think Mooney's market value is $10M a season.

**** that.

How are you getting that 1? Are you signing it or drafting it?

OnTheWarpath15 12-14-2023 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17278932)
Inflation at the WR spot....so yea, that's about right.

I'd not do that myself either.

Mom, can we have Darnell Mooney?

No, we have Darnell Mooney at home.

https://static.clubs.nfl.com/image/p...zn5kd7ve8lvmvi

O.city 12-14-2023 09:40 AM

They wanted to trade for and pay AJ brown right?

Do that with someone else.

Dolphins wanna trade Waddle? Hell, do the Vikings wanna get enough ammo to go get a QB? We can help.

DJ's left nut 12-14-2023 09:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17278938)
Absolutely.

But also....you wanted him so you wear this scarlett letter.

Yup - haven't shied away from that one either.

He was my guy; a dude I thought could play LT or at worst be a truly elite RT. He's not been that. He's been an above average pass blocker with penalty issues and some run blocking warts.

Essentially he's been the same player (plus penalties) that he was in Jacksonville. And that's disappointing as I felt like he was an ascending player that would reach a new level. It hasn't happened.

He's not been worth the deal we gave him for sure.

chiefzilla1501 12-14-2023 09:41 AM

Quote:

**** that.

I think there are 2 paths. You consider a Mooney as insurance for a Wr1 you take with an aggressive draft pick. Mooney is a much better temp full time WR than hardman is.

Or you can spend big $ on a wR1 and ideally take the best draft pick possible but less urgent since it’s wr2… maybe allows to be a little less aggressive in the draft.

The first scenario would save us a lot of money but it’s a bit of a year 1 risk.

O.city 12-14-2023 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17278945)
Yup - haven't shied away from that one either.

He was my guy; a dude I thought could play LT or at worst be a truly elite RT. He's not been that. He's been an above average pass blocker with penalty issues and some run blocking warts.

Essentially he's been the same player (plus penalties) that he was in Jacksonville. And that's disappointing as I felt like he was an ascending player that would reach a new level. It hasn't happened.

He's not been worth the deal we gave him for sure.

It's a good lesson you should learn. Let the adults talk football for a while, maybe sit this one out.

OnTheWarpath15 12-14-2023 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17278941)
How are you getting that 1? Are you signing it or drafting it?

Prefer to sign, as I don't think we get it drafting late.

The problem is that guy actually being available. I've made it clear my top choice would be Pittman, just need the Colts to go Full R and not resign him.

O.city 12-14-2023 09:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 17278950)

The problem is that guy actually being available. I've made it clear my top choice would be Pittman, just need the Colts to go Full R and not resign him.

I'm telling you guys. It's gonna be Aiyuk.

He's going into that 5th year, that's when it's sign or trade time. We've got history dealing with the 9ers and that regime. He's too perfect of a fit here for it not to work.

Send them our first. Pay him the Terry McLaurin deal wiht 10% inflation tacked on.

OnTheWarpath15 12-14-2023 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefzilla1501 (Post 17278946)
I think there are 2 paths. You consider a Mooney as insurance for a Wr1 you take with an aggressive draft pick. Mooney is a much better temp full time WR than hardman is.

Or you can spend big $ on a wR1 and ideally take the best draft pick possible but less urgent since it’s wr2… maybe allows to be a little less aggressive in the draft.

The first scenario would save us a lot of money but it’s a bit of a year 1 risk.

I'm not paying $10M for an insurance policy when we can get the same thing by resigning Mecole. Put that money towards signing a high end guy, or draft the high end guy and use that money elsewhere.

Mooney had the one good year. Otherwise, Mecole has outproduced him.

DJ's left nut 12-14-2023 09:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 17278950)

Who would they possibly franchise if not him?

I just can't see any possibility that Pittman hits the market. And while I'd probably be fine paying him the contract he'd command on the market, I'm not willing to do that AND give a 1st or even 2nd round pick for him.

Sassy Squatch 12-14-2023 09:49 AM

Good ****ing Lord, can we shut the **** up about Aiyuk, please? He's the third option AT BEST in San Francisco and his production drops noticably when not playing with McCaffrey or Samuel. And we want to send a first AND sign him to top WR money to be our #1?!?

BWillie 12-14-2023 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch (Post 17278957)
Good ****ing Lord, can we shut the **** up about Aiyuk, please? He's the third option AT BEST in San Francisco and his production drops noticably when not playing with McCaffrey or Samuel. And we want to send a first AND sign him to top WR money to be our #1?!?

Yeah lets just draft another Skyy Moore in the 2nd round and hope, pray and beg that he's good. We need WR1 and we need to KNOW they will be WR1. Kelce is about done. Take advantage of this great time. Kelce is too great to have these years be all for not. Its disrespectful to him.

DJ's left nut 12-14-2023 09:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch (Post 17278957)

Lord - is there anyone you'd be satisfied with then?

Because Aiyuk is an excellent receiver. Easy top 20, arguably top 10. And he's young.

Argue the acquisition cost if you'd like but man, I don't understand "well he's just the 3rd option in SF..." as a position at all. Aiyuk is really really good. He's a damn site better than anyone that's going to be available in FA or likely in trade. I'd definitely take him over Adams, especially when you consider age.

O.city 12-14-2023 09:52 AM

Look at his advanced separation stats. That's got Andy Reid written all over it.

OnTheWarpath15 12-14-2023 09:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17278956)
Who would they possibly franchise if not him?

I just can't see any possibility that Pittman hits the market. And while I'd probably be fine paying him the contract he'd command on the market, I'm not willing to do that AND give a 1st or even 2nd round pick for him.

It's Pittman or Kenny Moore.

The tag number for CB's is probably $3-4M less than WR.

DJ's left nut 12-14-2023 09:56 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 17278965)
It's Pittman or Kenny Moore.

The tag number for CB's is probably $3-4M less than WR.

Kenny Moore is a 28 yr old slot CB having a career season.

Pittman is an emerging WR1 entering his prime.

If they can't get Pittman extended they will absolutely tag him. They're not letting him out of the building.

O.city 12-14-2023 09:58 AM

I'll get shit on for this but......I think the offense is actually pretty close here. It won't be 2018 just fire breathing dragon, but I think they're closer to what they were last year than they were a few weeks ago.

It's close.

OnTheWarpath15 12-14-2023 10:00 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17278970)
Kenny Moore is a 28 yr old slot CB having a career season.

Pittman is an emerging WR1 entering his prime.

If they can't get Pittman extended they will absolutely tag him. They're not letting him out of the building.

Don't necessarily disagree, but Moore just turned 28 and is a Pro Bowler. Might be underselling his importance a smidge - overall, yeah it's unlikely Pittman becomes available - but he's exactly the type of guy we should be looking for.

Sassy Squatch 12-14-2023 10:03 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 17278962)
Lord - is there anyone you'd be satisfied with then?

Because Aiyuk is an excellent receiver. Easy top 20, arguably top 10. And he's young.

Argue the acquisition cost if you'd like but man, I don't understand "well he's just the 3rd option in SF..." as a position at all. Aiyuk is really really good. He's a damn site better than anyone that's going to be available in FA or likely in trade. I'd definitely take him over Adams, especially when you consider age.

We'll have to agree to disagree on him. When Deebo was out of the lineup for those 3 weeks his production noticably declined and the 49ers offense as a whole only managed 17 points every game and lost all 3 games. Just seems far more likely to me he's benefitting greatly from being 3rd fiddle and I'm not sure he can deliver when asked to take over as a legit #1.

OnTheWarpath15 12-14-2023 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17278972)
I'll get shit on for this but......I think the offense is actually pretty close here. It won't be 2018 just fire breathing dragon, but I think they're closer to what they were last year than they were a few weeks ago.

It's close.

I mentioned elsewhere that I wouldn't be shocked to see Richie James make a real impact the rest of the year. I think we're not having these "WR sucks" conversations if he doesn't get hurt. (well, except Skyy)
The guy was productive with Vanilla Vick at QB, pretty sure he's gonna be fine here.

TEX 12-14-2023 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BWillie (Post 17278961)
Yeah lets just draft another Skyy Moore in the 2nd round and hope, pray and beg that he's good. We need WR1 and we need to KNOW they will be WR1. Kelce is about done. Take advantage of this great time. Kelce is too great to have these years be all for not. Its disrespectful to him.

Not to mention wasting prime Mahomes.

Sassy Squatch 12-14-2023 10:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 17278982)
I mentioned elsewhere that I wouldn't be shocked to see Richie James make a real impact the rest of the year. I think we're not having these "WR sucks" conversations if he doesn't get hurt.

The guy was productive with Vanilla Vick at QB, pretty sure he's gonna be fine here.

Hell, if Hardman can actually get some reps in he's already proven to be more than capable of being productive in the offense.

OnTheWarpath15 12-14-2023 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch (Post 17278985)
Hell, if Hardman can actually get some reps in he's already proven to be more than capable of being productive in the offense.

Hopefully by the time Hardman is back, the roles behind Kelce and Rice have solidified.

duncan_idaho 12-14-2023 10:13 AM

Quote:

**** that.

Possibly and yeah, if Mooney is getting $10M/AAV, I don't think that's a better value than Hardman at $3M or whatever he gets.

I also think Mooney and Brown are better players than Hardman. Brown by a decent margin.

Can't hone in on one approach. I hope the Chiefs find a way to land an Aiyuk or Pittman or top-tier option. If they don't, there are still players available in FA who can contribute to raising the quality of the room.

Sign a Mike Evans or Michael Pittman or Brandon Aiyuk? Cool. That's the big swing and you invest in WR in the draft based on how the board falls, but it can be a Day 2 or 3 pick instead of being a priority.

Can't get the big swing done? Cool. Sign a FA or two who are fits in the system and have some upside and raise the floor, and prioritize getting a top-level receiving target in the draft.

Sassy Squatch 12-14-2023 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 17278989)
Hopefully by the time Hardman is back, the roles behind Kelce and Rice have solidified.

If he's only needing the 4 game stint for IR he'll be back after the Patriots game. I have no idea how long his injury typically keeps them out for.

OnTheWarpath15 12-14-2023 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 17278990)
Possibly and yeah, if Mooney is getting $10M/AAV, I don't think that's a better value than Hardman at $3M or whatever he gets.

I also think Mooney and Brown are better players than Hardman. Brown by a decent margin.

Can't hone in on one approach. I hope the Chiefs find a way to land an Aiyuk or Pittman or top-tier option. If they don't, there are still players available in FA who can contribute to raising the quality of the room.

Sign a Mike Evans or Michael Pittman or Brandon Aiyuk? Cool. That's the big swing and you invest in WR in the draft based on how the board falls, but it can be a Day 2 or 3 pick instead of being a priority.

Can't get the big swing done? Cool. Sign a FA or two who are fits in the system and have some upside and raise the floor, and prioritize getting a top-level receiving target in the draft.

Here's where I'd rather just bring back what we have (possibly James, specifically if the rest of this year shows promise) and prioritizing the position in the draft than to be committed to $10M a year for 3-5 years for someone like Mooney. It's the MVS situation all over again.

DJ's left nut 12-14-2023 10:20 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sassy Squatch (Post 17278977)
We'll have to agree to disagree on him. When Deebo was out of the lineup for those 3 weeks his production noticably declined and the 49ers offense as a whole only managed 17 points every game and lost all 3 games. Just seems far more likely to me he's benefitting greatly from being 3rd fiddle and I'm not sure he can deliver when asked to take over as a legit #1.

So who's your guy?

(And we have a 'legit #1' in Rashee Rice)

RunKC 12-14-2023 10:20 AM

Quote:

Just saw a FA primer from PFF that has Tee Higgins, Calvin Ridley and Michael Pittman all receiving the franchise tag.

If that's the case then that sure limits options. May have to just go after Mike Evans or OBJ and a lesser known WR (Mooney, Chark etc) while we draft our guy in the first rd and develop him.

Options might be limited

-King- 12-14-2023 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by O.city (Post 17278972)

It's close.

They fixed the rotation for the most part. If they can just do basic things and not turn the ball over, we can still win.

The problem is that they still seemingly can't do basic things and that it took this long for them to figure out what the rotation should look like. But again, when you have the best QB in history, players just need to be competent and anything is possible.

DJ's left nut 12-14-2023 10:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OnTheWarpath15 (Post 17279002)
Here's where I'd rather just bring back what we have (possibly James, specifically if the rest of this year shows promise) and prioritizing the position in the draft than to be committed to $10M a year for 3-5 years for someone like Mooney. It's the MVS situation all over again.

I'll say again - the biggest loss to our WR room isn't going from JJSS to Rice (I still maintain we upgraded there).

It's going from a 700 yard MVS who does enough to command attention to...whatever this is.

The MVS 'situation' isn't born of approach - it's because the dude has seemingly collapsed overnight. Again, the guy had a career game in this very calendar year - I really don't understand how he's fallen off this hard.