ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Let's talk about the 49ers (Super Bowl Edition) (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=328296)

wachashi 01-29-2020 12:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 14758166)
Kamara’s numbers were good, but not great this year. He was not an elite player in 2019.

More importantly, swap Williams for Kamara on this team and, yeah, the Chiefs are better, but only slightly. I don't think teams would be preparing for us any differently.

Iconic 01-29-2020 12:40 PM

Only thing that actually worries me about this game is Niners play action versus Chiefs defense. We consistently got torched by Titans when they were running it effectively and 49ers offense does much of the same.

smithandrew051 01-29-2020 12:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachashi (Post 14758181)
More importantly, swap Williams for Kamara on this team and, yeah, the Chiefs are better, but only slightly. I don't think teams would be preparing for us any differently.

Probably not. The Saints have a much better run blocking OL (best in the League for adjusted line yards). Williams’s rushing stats would be much improved in that offense. Kamara’s would be much worse in our offense.

wachashi 01-29-2020 12:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 14758186)
Only thing that actually worries me about this game is Niners play action versus Chiefs defense. We consistently got torched by Titans when they were running it effectively and 49ers offense does much of the same.

They kept running play action in that game but weren't as successful as time went on because Spags actually makes in-game adjustments. Their first 3 drives scared me a bit, but man, they really tightened up after that.

htismaqe 01-29-2020 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachashi (Post 14758196)
They kept running play action in that game but weren't as successful as time went on because Spags actually makes in-game adjustments. Their first 3 drives scared me a bit, but man, they really tightened up after that.

Yep.

Stuff works early because they're still gauging and scouting. By the 3rd drive or so, they're actually putting in adjustments and things change.

We've seen it for the last 10 weeks or so.

DRM08 01-29-2020 12:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Iconic (Post 14758186)

It will be a problem for KC. The Chiefs offense needs to bring their A game because I think the Niners probably get to 30+ points in this game.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 01-29-2020 12:49 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I’ll be Mic’d up Sunday Night. For Super Bowl 54. There, you hear what I really have to Say. Until then. ✌🏿</p>&mdash; Frank Clark (@TheRealFrankC_) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheRealFrankC_/status/1222586209723199493?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 29, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Mahomes_Is_God 01-29-2020 12:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 14758142)
Second best is Matt Moore. Did you know we beat the Vikings with Matt Moore.

Matt ****ing Moore.

Matt "I coach High School" Moore

Matt "12 inch cock" Moore

Matt "**** Kirk Cousins" MOORE!! MIDNIGHT

K, I'm done

The Franchise 01-29-2020 12:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14758211)
<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">I’ll be Mic’d up Sunday Night. For Super Bowl 54. There, you hear what I really have to Say. Until then. ✌🏿</p>&mdash; Frank Clark (@TheRealFrankC_) <a href="https://twitter.com/TheRealFrankC_/status/1222586209723199493?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 29, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

This shit is going to be glorious.

smithandrew051 01-29-2020 12:54 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MAHOMO 4 LIFE! (Post 14758211)

The guy who controls the “bleeps” needs to bring his A-Game for that one

Mahomes_Is_God 01-29-2020 12:58 PM

After we beat the Niners Frank Clark is gonna pick up that Lombardi trophy and smash it over Dee Ford's head! Take that you habitual line stepping over piece of shit!

mr. tegu 01-29-2020 01:01 PM

I’m just going to repeat what I’ve been saying which is that the Chiefs pass rush will have more impact on Garrapolo than theirs will on Mahomes.

staylor26 01-29-2020 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 14758244)
I’m just going to repeat what I’ve been saying which is that the Chiefs pass rush will have more impact on Garrapolo than theirs will on Mahomes.

It’s certainly possible and downright disrespectful that the media isn’t even considering it.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-29-2020 01:09 PM

Here’s a potential theory that you can call me a Chiefs homer for if you want but I believe could have traction.

SFs offense uses so much window dressing to confuse the defense and create big plays. Even more than Reid does. Shanahan is more dependent on scheme than Reid is, whereas he can just win a lot of plays with pure talent at his disposal.

I think it helps KC to have that extra week to see and practice against all of the funky stuff that SF does. In theory, they may see their plays twice as much as a team would during a normal practice week.

And yeah the same can be said for SF against the Chiefs offense but again, we aren’t nearly as dependent on scheme IMHO. Even if you have the play covered perfectly, Mahomes can turn it into a long completion.

Could be something that we see play out.

smithandrew051 01-29-2020 01:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mr. tegu (Post 14758244)

It’s absolutely possible.

The Chiefs OL has the 4th best sacks allowed rate. The 49ers have the 2nd best sack rate.

The 49ers OL has the 15th best sacks allowed rate. The Chiefs have the 10th best sack rate.

Chiefs OL and DL had significant injuries through most of the year which affected their rankings, but both are as healthy as they can be now.

I know the 49ers has injuries too, but I’m not familiar with the extent. I’ll just assume injuries were a wash for both.

Then consider that Mahomes is more mobile than Garrapolo, has better weapons than Garrapolo, makes much better decisions than Garrapolo....

It’s absolutely possible.

ChiTown 01-29-2020 01:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 14758248)
It’s certainly possible and downright disrespectful that the media isn’t even considering it.

Honestly, much of the media still has their heads up their asses about this D. They still think this is the 2018, and first half of 2019 version of our D. This is a COMPLETELY different team since the Titans game in Nashville..............and, most importantly, we are mostly healthy (sans Juan Thornhill)

htismaqe 01-29-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14758256)
Here’s a potential theory that you can call me a Chiefs homer for if you want but I believe could have traction.

SFs offense uses so much window dressing to confuse the defense and create big plays. Even more than Reid does. Shanahan is more dependent on scheme than Reid is, whereas he can just win a lot of plays with pure talent at his disposal.

I think it helps KC to have that extra week to see and practice against all of the funky stuff that SF does. In theory, they may see their plays twice as much as a team would during a normal practice week.

And yeah the same can be said for SF against the Chiefs offense but again, we aren’t nearly as dependent on scheme IMHO. Even if you have the play covered perfectly, Mahomes can turn it into a long completion.

The big thing is that the KC defense has to stay put. We've seen this offense before. A lot actually.

The stretch/wide zone is Alex Gibbs' scheme and it relies on OL positioning and cutback lanes.

The defensive line needs to be disciplined and patient. We've seen them do it, in fact we saw them do it as early as the Baltimore game when they adequately contained Lamar Jackson.

RunKC 01-29-2020 01:31 PM

Quote:

Grunhard had a great point yesterday. He pointed out that we were already familiar with the 49ers offense and had been studying it since last Spring.

Every year at OTA’s and camp Andy has a practice dedicated to each divisional team. Denver hired Shannahan’s QB coach Scangarello to be their OC, so we studied that offense knowing Denver would utilize it.

We also studied it further when the Vikings came to town. Gary Kubiak went there this year and was running basically the same type of offense.

htismaqe 01-29-2020 01:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14758298)
Grunhard had a great point yesterday. He pointed out that we were already familiar with the 49ers offense and had been studying it since last Spring.

Every year at OTA’s and camp Andy has a practice dedicated to each divisional team. Denver hired Shannahan’s QB coach Scangarello to be their OC, so we studied that offense knowing Denver would utilize it.

We also studied it further when the Vikings came to town. Gary Kubiak went there this year and was running basically the same type of offense.

Yeah, it's Daddy Shanahan's offense pretty much. Alex Gibbs' stretch zone.

ReynardMuldrake 01-29-2020 01:36 PM

Quote:

I GUARANTEE that Andy will bust out some plays this week that aren't on film anywhere.

wachashi 01-29-2020 01:42 PM

Quote:

Counterpoint: Green Bay had a bye the week before they played SF the first time and got ran out of the stadium. Of course, GB just matches up terribly with the Niners, so we probably can't learn much from that.

DJ's left nut 01-29-2020 01:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by All22 (Post 14758105)
The discussion was about Saints vs Vikings, and whether or not using Bridgewater and Taysom Hill to run gadget plays is the best way to beat them.

Y'all have the attention span of goldfish. Yes, we know you beat the Vikings. Congrats. Now come back to the topic of discussion, morons.

Taysom Hill RAN gadget plays successfully against them, smart guy.

Dude ran for 50 yards, had 2 big catches (including a TD) and threw their longest pass of the game out of a trick formation.

You're gonna call people out for having the 'attention span of a goldfish' when you're sitting there arguing that there's no way Hill could do damage against the Vikings when he actually did.

****ing hell you're stupid.

FloridaMan88 01-29-2020 01:52 PM

I would love to see the Chiefs start with no huddle/tempo on offense with short/quick passes, neutralizing the 49ers’ pass rush.

Would also be a good way to get the offense off to a fast start.

DJ's left nut 01-29-2020 01:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mahomes_Is_God (Post 14758238)
After we beat the Niners Frank Clark is gonna pick up that Lombardi trophy and smash it over Dee Ford's head! Take that you habitual line stepping over piece of shit!

<iframe src="https://gifer.com/embed/3g11" width=480 height=362.697 frameBorder="0" allowFullScreen></iframe><p><a href="https://gifer.com">via GIFER</a></p>

wachashi 01-29-2020 01:54 PM

If the Falcons can hold the Niners to 22 points, 120 rushing yards, and less than 200 passing yards, then I think the Chiefs have a great shot to do the same. Atlanta was the 20th best DVOA defense overall this year, 14th in DVOA rushing, and 25th in DVOA passing.

Jimmy G was just not good enough to take advantage of Atlanta's biggest weakness - their pass defense.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-29-2020 01:56 PM

Garoppolo toward the top of the league in dropped interceptions this season. Here’s a clip of all of them: https://twitter.com/thestevenruiz/st...883033602?s=21

This guy who tweeted it and Nick Jacobs both have clearly watched a lot of games and the thing they both pointed to was he really just doesn’t throw outside the numbers, almost ever. He loves that MOF.

Hoping Spagnuolo and the staff have these guys dialed in on staying disciplined and congesting the middle of the field. Don’t take the eye candy if it’s not your job. Front line needs to win their 1v1s, stay disciplined at the 2nd level, and we will give Garoppolo problems.

DJ's left nut 01-29-2020 02:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14758350)
Garoppolo toward the top of the league in dropped interceptions this season. Here’s a clip of all of them: https://twitter.com/thestevenruiz/st...883033602?s=21

This guy who tweeted it and Nick Jacobs both have clearly watched a lot of games and the thing they both pointed to was he really just doesn’t throw outside the numbers, almost ever. He loves that MOF.

Hoping Spagnuolo and the staff have these guys dialed in on staying disciplined and congesting the middle of the field. Don’t take the eye candy if it’s not your job. Front line needs to win their 1v1s, stay disciplined at the 2nd level, and we will give Garoppolo problems.

I wish to hell that DoD had forced his way into the rotation this year. Garoppolo simply doesn't seem to see the underneath man very well. Most of the interceptions I've seen from him aren't like the pick Rodgers threw last week where he just threw a lousy ball.

They're throws where he simply didn't see the underneath man sinking into the zone. He's routinely hitting guys right in the chest because he flat doesn't pick them up.

And if you have an athletic Will like DoD out there patrolling those zones, you could do a lot of drop-zone coverage and make a hash out of his ability to work the middle.

Sorensen is probably going to have a big play from that Nickel Linebacker role he plays at some point. Fuller's biggest impact as a Chief may well be allowing Sorensen to play hybrid backer for big chunks of the game.

wachashi 01-29-2020 02:01 PM

Tyrann Mathieu better be ready to catch the football. I think he's probably tied with Garoppolo in dropped INTs.

DRM08 01-29-2020 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KCChiefsFan88 (Post 14758343)
I would love to see the Chiefs start with no huddle/tempo on offense with short/quick passes, neutralizing the 49ers’ pass rush.

Would also be a good way to get the offense off to a fast start.

I would like to see a tempo offense as well. Might help them get into a groove if there is not the typical slower pace we see between most NFL plays.

The Franchise 01-29-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14758356)
I wish to hell that DoD had forced his way into the rotation this year. Garoppolo simply doesn't seem to see the underneath man very well. Most of the interceptions I've seen from him aren't like the pick Rodgers threw last week where he just threw a lousy ball.

They're throws where he simply didn't see the underneath man sinking into the zone. He's routinely hitting guys right in the chest because he flat doesn't pick them up.

And if you have an athletic Will like DoD out there patrolling those zones, you could do a lot of drop-zone coverage and make a hash out of his ability to work the middle.

Sorensen is probably going to have a big play from that Nickel Linebacker role he plays at some point. Fuller's biggest impact as a Chief may well be allowing Sorensen to play hybrid backer for big chunks of the game.

I still don’t get the lack of playing time with DOD. Does he just not get Spag’s defense?

htismaqe 01-29-2020 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14758384)
I still don’t get the lack of playing time with DOD. Does he just not get Spag’s defense?

He's athletically gifted but he's just not a very good football player. That was evident last year. I have to wonder if he just has a very low football IQ.

DJ's left nut 01-29-2020 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14758385)
He's athletically gifted but he's just not a very good football player. That was evident last year. I have to wonder if he just has a very low football IQ.

Yeah, that's kinda my feel.

I'm not even sure it's low football IQ as much as it is a lack of baseline reliability. He makes some plays where he diagnoses quickly and explodes toward the ballcarrier - it's a 'savvy' play that you generally think comes from someone who's a pretty smart ballplayer.

But then he'll just completely airmail an assignment 2 plays later.

It's less of a football IQ thing and almost a football maturity thing. He just can't seem to maintain focus terribly well or hold his water. He struggles to play within scheme.

That doesn't mean he's not sharp enough to do it but rather that he's just not polished enough for the game to have slowed down for him.

The Franchise 01-29-2020 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14758385)

He looked good when he was given the task of “See QB....watch QB”. Outside of that....****ing nothing. Extremely disappointing.

RunKC 01-29-2020 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14758350)

7/8 are in the middle of the field. Their outside receivers are a rookie and 32 year old coming off an Achilles injury.

If I’m Spags, I’m playing single high with Landlord in the box playing 5 yards off the LOS. 8 in the box will flood the middle forcing Jimmy G to go outside the numbers and will also help with the run game.

The Franchise 01-29-2020 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14758395)
7/8 are in the middle of the field. Their outside receivers are a rookie and 32 year old coming off an Achilles injury.

If I’m Spags, I’m playing single high with Landlord in the box playing 5 yards off the LOS. 8 in the box will flood the middle forcing Jimmy G to go outside the numbers and will also help with the run game.

It helps that some of these guys have had to cover Sanders before as well.

DJ's left nut 01-29-2020 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RunKC (Post 14758395)

The problem is that he seems to prefer Sorensen as that single-high.

Deebo Samuel will KILL Sorensen downfield if he's left in single-high. If they're commit to that kind of coverage, Fuller needs to be a big part of it w/ Sorensen on the field for Wilson a fair amount.

BossChief 01-29-2020 02:25 PM

Haha Deangelo Hall just said “if the 49ers can’t get home with just 4, it wouldn’t matter if they have Deion, Darren Green, Revis and Rod Woodson out there. These guys in KC are almost impossible to cover for more than a couple seconds”

FringeNC 01-29-2020 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14758297)
The big thing is that the KC defense has to stay put. We've seen this offense before. A lot actually.

The stretch/wide zone is Alex Gibbs' scheme and it relies on OL positioning and cutback lanes.

The defensive line needs to be disciplined and patient. We've seen them do it, in fact we saw them do it as early as the Baltimore game when they adequately contained Lamar Jackson.

Yep, Spags has to be be familiar with the Gibbs/Shanahan offense even if Kyle has added some new kinks to it. Doesn't mean it'll be easy to stop, but neither were the Titans, who averaged the same number of yards per play the Niners do.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-29-2020 02:33 PM

Damien Wilson told Pelissero that the emphasis is on eye discipline. Great to hear, just what we’ve been talking about on here.

Do your job. The old cliche is a must Sunday.

Tribal Warfare 01-29-2020 02:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BossChief (Post 14758404)
Haha Deangelo Hall just said “if the 49ers can’t get home with just 4, it wouldn’t matter if they have Deion, Darren Green, Revis and Rod Woodson out there. These guys in KC are almost impossible to cover for more than a couple seconds”

Andy will screen like crazy to keep 49ers DL off balance too

The Franchise 01-29-2020 02:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14758417)
Damien Wilson told Pelissero that the emphasis is on eye discipline. Great to hear, just what we’ve been talking about on here.

Do your job. The old cliche is a must Sunday.

The first quarter of that Texans game was everyone trying to go above and beyond and make a play. Once they got back to “everyone do your job”...we all saw what happened.

wachashi 01-29-2020 02:41 PM

CHIEFS DEFENSE VS STATUE QBs:

JACOBY BRISSETT: 19 points

JOE FLACCO: 6 points

PHILIP RIVERS: 17 points, 21 points

TOM BRADY: 16 points

Megatron96 01-29-2020 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachashi (Post 14758429)
CHIEFS DEFENSE VS STATUE QBs:

JACOBY BRISSETT: 19 points

JOE FLACCO: 6 points

PHILIP RIVERS: 17 points, 21 points

TOM BRADY: 16 points

Are we saying that Jimmy is a statue now? Because I don't really think he is. I don't think he's a great scrambler/runner by any means, but he's not Flacco by any stretch either.

wachashi 01-29-2020 02:53 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 14758436)
Are we saying that Jimmy is a statue now? Because I don't really think he is. I don't think he's a great scrambler/runner by any means, but he's not Flacco by any stretch either.

He ran for 7 yards one game this year, but other than that, yeah he's a statue.

CasselGotPeedOn 01-29-2020 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 14758436)

46 rushes for 62 yards. Seems like a statue to me.

Megatron96 01-29-2020 02:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachashi (Post 14758453)
He ran for 7 yards one game this year, but other than that, yeah he's a statue.

I'm not talking about how many yards he ran for, I'm saying he's a better athlete than Flacco. He can move his feet and avoid a rush if need be, so far as I can tell. Thinking that he's a post stuck in the mud is inaccurate.

Skyy God 01-29-2020 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 14758461)
I'm not talking about how many yards he ran for, I'm saying he's a better athlete than Flacco. He can move his feet and avoid a rush if need be, so far as I can tell. Thinking that he's a post stuck in the mud is inaccurate.

He took 36 sacks in 2019 (MVPat took 17).

So yeah, he’s fairly immobile.

wachashi 01-29-2020 03:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 14758461)

Yes, none of the QBs on that list are literally statues.

Megatron96 01-29-2020 03:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 14758478)

Didn't Jimmy get hurt last year on a play where he escaped contain and ran to the sidelines? Maybe he got the first down, I don't remember. But he had a head of steam, as I recall.

MahomesMagic 01-29-2020 03:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachashi (Post 14758321)
Counterpoint: Green Bay had a bye the week before they played SF the first time and got ran out of the stadium. Of course, GB just matches up terribly with the Niners, so we probably can't learn much from that.

Green Bay didn't send enough people and only one of their DL was physical enough in Kenny Clark. Pettine is great DC at stopping the pass but didn't have the horses.

KC has Frank Clark, Chris Jones, Kpass, Pennel and Nnadi. As long as Spags does what Baltimore did and attack and play as many DL as possible aiming to attack and disrupt the SF line the result should be much different.

KC doesn't have to win every time. Just not get run over like Green Bay did and I don't think they will.

Pasta Little Brioni 01-29-2020 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 14758488)
Didn't Jimmy get hurt last year on a play where he escaped contain and ran to the sidelines? Maybe he got the first down, I don't remember. But he had a head of steam, as I recall.

"Last year" you realize why he's more immobile now right???

Shaid 01-29-2020 03:14 PM

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/1b7o2HBZS0o" frameborder="0" allow="accelerometer; autoplay; encrypted-media; gyroscope; picture-in-picture" allowfullscreen></iframe>

tredadda 01-29-2020 03:15 PM

What blows my mind is how so many think that SF will shut down this offense. Belechick who many think is one of if not the greatest defensive minds in NFL history couldn’t shut this offense down all game. Now Saleh is suddenly going to? This guy almost lost his job after last year. He is not suddenly some defensive guru. He relies on getting pressure with his DL. If they can’t do that then they are not that good. If Reid can outscheme Belechick he is gonna put clown shoes on Saleh.

Megatron96 01-29-2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pasta Giant Meatball (Post 14758503)
"Last year" you realize why he's more immobile now right???

I get that. Look, guys, I'm not trying to argue with anyone, I'm just saying he's not as immobile as Flacco or Brady, that's all. He can run faster than either of them, I'm sure.

DJ's left nut 01-29-2020 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Cave Johnson (Post 14758478)

Once again, shuttle and 3-cone times matter here quite a bit.

Grapes is extremely average in both of those areas. He simply doesn't have the burst or agility to elude rushers as well as the more mobile QBs in the league.

While Patrick Mahomes is among the top 20 QBs over the last 20 years in both of those drills (18th and 17th, in fact), Jimmy G is keeping time with guys like David Gerrard, Andy Dalton, Paxton Lynch, Christian Hackenburg and Kirk Cousins.

There's little in the way of baseline athleticism for Jimmy Garappolo. He's a reasonable accurate, reasonable intelligent game manager and that's about it.

Clyde Frog 01-29-2020 03:27 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/202...87ade4e15a.jpg

Just saw this beauty parked illegally on the street in SF silently telling SF who is boss. If this isn’t a sign that KC is gonna make SF their bitch I don’t know what is.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

wachashi 01-29-2020 03:28 PM

This defense has performed well against QBs with limited mobility. It's one less thing Spags has to gameplan for. SF presents plenty of problems on offense, but a mobile QB is just not one of them.

Megatron96 01-29-2020 03:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachashi (Post 14758539)
This defense has performed well against QBs with limited mobility. It's one less thing Spags has to gameplan for. SF presents plenty of problems on offense, but a mobile QB is just not one of them.

Think I see the problem with my earlier post now. I wasn't thinking at all in terms of whether Jimmy was going to try and run for yards in the SB. I was merely thinking in terms of whether he could run faster than Flacco/Brady.

I don't believe at all that SF's game-plan includes Jimmy trying to manufacture offense with his legs.

Sorry for the misunderstanding.

smithandrew051 01-29-2020 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 14758508)
What blows my mind is how so many think that SF will shut down this offense. Belechick who many think is one of if not the greatest defensive minds in NFL history couldn’t shut this offense down all game. Now Saleh is suddenly going to? This guy almost lost his job after last year. He is not suddenly some defensive guru. He relies on getting pressure with his DL. If they can’t do that then they are not that good. If Reid can outscheme Belechick he is gonna put clown shoes on Saleh.

Belichick also has a FAR better secondary than Saleh has to work with. He has true elite talent in his secondary. Even with that, the Chiefs were on the verge of blowing out the Pats until Kelce fumbles.

DJ's left nut 01-29-2020 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 14758561)
Belichick also has a FAR better secondary than Saleh has to work with. He has true elite talent in his secondary. Even with that, the Chiefs were on the verge of blowing out the Pats until Kelce fumbles.

With Mahomes throwing NOTHING more than 15 yards downfield in the 2nd half because his thumb had him throwing ducks.

You just gotta shake your head at some of this stuff.

If he plays to his ability, Chiefs win pretty easily. It really is that simple. The kid is simply not someone you shut down unless he's hurt or rattled.

Well I've never seen him rattled. So unless the layoff and the pressure of trying to win one for Reid gets to him, he's gonna play his ass off.

Megatron96 01-29-2020 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14758565)
With Mahomes throwing NOTHING more than 15 yards downfield in the 2nd half because his thumb had him throwing ducks.

You just gotta shake your head at some of this stuff.

If he plays to his ability, Chiefs win pretty easily. It really is that simple. The kid is simply not someone you shut down unless he's hurt or rattled.

Well I've never seen him rattled. So unless the layoff and the pressure of trying to win one for Reid gets to him, he's gonna play his ass off.

This.

Pat hurt his hand in the first quarter (IIRC), but managed to lead the team to 20 points in the first half, against arguably the best secondary in the NFL. If he hadn't hurt his hand one of those FGs if not both are TDs. That game was a blow-out in the making until Pat hurt his hand.

wachashi 01-29-2020 03:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 14758561)

Agree. Belichick + that secondary is by far the toughest match-up for this Chiefs offense. No one changes their scheme and game plan more week-to-week than Belichick. Last year, the way they played us in NE was totally different from the way they played us in KC. He's got the players to run any defensive scheme he wants, and it makes it really tough.

He basically dared the refs to throw flags for defensive holding on every single play last year. And it worked well...for one half. You have to play press man to even deploy that strategy, which the Niners don't really do.

Megatron96 01-29-2020 03:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachashi (Post 14758574)
Agree. Belichick + that secondary is by far the toughest match-up for this Chiefs offense. No one changes their scheme and game plan more week-to-week than Belichick. Last year, the way they played us in NE was totally different from the way they played us in KC. He's got the players to run any defensive scheme he wants, and it makes it really tough.

He basically dared the refs to throw flags for defensive holding on every single play last year. And it worked well...for one half. You have to play press man to even deploy that strategy, which the Niners don't really do.

Pat scored 90+ points on Belichick in the three games they've faced off. Name another team that has done anything like that.

And Bill could get away with more than the Niners secondary will be able to because bill had the McCourtys, Gilmore, and that LB (can't remember his name right now). Those guys all have elite speed.

And Pat, Hill, and Kelce shredded them three times. How in the heck is SF's secondary going to even slow our offense down?

DJ's left nut 01-29-2020 03:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wachashi (Post 14758574)

And it BB managed to stump our boy for 1 half of football before he put on a friggen clinic.

The kid's just damn near unflappable. The only variable we haven't seen is the national landscape - the 2 weeks of media attention.

We've seen him overamped for prime-time games before. He's not completely immune to emotion. So the only real question is just how long it will take him to calm his nerves, trust his talent and rape some faces.

I suspect it won't be long.

Chris Meck 01-29-2020 03:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14757890)
You can if you get there with 4.

Then the 'blitzer' simply tracks Williams on his route, presuming that he's probably going to put a chip in on the RDE to help out Fisher.

Williams is a more explosive guy than he's given credit for but he's not Kamara out there. He's not an elite route-runner that's gonna shake a guy in coverage. If you send 4, you can deal with him well enough (provided that your LBer gets through the rubs over the middle, which didn't happen on that wheel route TD against Houston).

See that first TD pass against Tennessee?

He hits the LOS at full speed. No LB is going to track that. It's not an 'elite route', it's basically a fly route from off-tackle. No LB is going to cover that. Williams is no Kamara, but he's damned fast and an excellent receiver.

The Franchise 01-29-2020 03:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14758589)
And it BB managed to stump our boy for 1 half of football before he put on a friggen clinic.

The kid's just damn near unflappable. The only variable we haven't seen is the national landscape - the 2 weeks of media attention.

We've seen him overamped for prime-time games before. He's not completely immune to emotion. So the only real question is just how long it will take him to calm his nerves, trust his talent and rape some faces.

I suspect it won't be long.

I think that the AFC Championship game from last year showed him that he can’t do that. The slow start in Houston wasn’t on Mahomes. As long as the receivers don’t drop balls, the defense doesn’t take a huge shit or the special teams completely implode....I think we’ll be off to a good start on Sunday.

smithandrew051 01-29-2020 04:09 PM

Average sack time is an interesting thing to consider in this game.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/201...-to-sack-stat/

Since 2016, Aaron Donald has the fastest average sack time amongst DTs in the league at 3.73 seconds. That’s the fastest by 2/10’s of a second (doesn’t sound like much, but it’s significant). With that, we can fairly safely assume the DTs for the 49ers will take at least 3.5 seconds to get to Pat if they can sack him.

Bosa and Ford are both pretty quick around the edge, but I would guess Fisher and Schwartz will slow them down even when Bosa/Ford win on occasion. I don’t see Ford having any free runs at the QB like he had against Andre Smith with the Cardinals last year. Schwartz and Fisher are too good to allow that to happen. Donald also led all players in average sack time last year with an average time of 3.6 seconds.

Given all of that, we can assume that Mahomes likely won’t be sacked in less than 3.5 seconds in the Super Bowl.

Since that’s just an average on plays that result in a sack, Mahomes will have more time than that on pretty much every play.

How long can the SF secondary hold up against these receivers and Mahomes’s lightning-quick decision making?

Oxford 01-29-2020 04:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by htismaqe (Post 14758300)
Yeah, it's Daddy Shanahan's offense pretty much. Alex Gibbs' stretch zone.

Does that include the cut and chop blocks? Think they will be wearing red gloves (that match the Chiefs jerseys)?

DJ's left nut 01-29-2020 04:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14758590)
See that first TD pass against Tennessee?

He hits the LOS at full speed. No LB is going to track that. It's not an 'elite route', it's basically a fly route from off-tackle. No LB is going to cover that. Williams is no Kamara, but he's damned fast and an excellent receiver.

He didn't have a receiving TD against TN. Hill, Hill, Mahomes, Williams (rushing), Watkins.

It was the TD against Houston that you're thinking of and that play required a great design from Reid to get him open. It wasn't that he caught it on the move, it was that Kelce went out and rubbed the guy and that was supposed to sink into that zone and then Watkins got in his way on a crosser. It was a brilliantly designed play.

That's why I say he can be schemed into dangerous spots. Meanwhile Kamara can damn near line up as a WR and simply use his feet to create space. Williams isn't that.

He's faster and more powerful than he's given credit for; his balance is especially surprising (when he's running hard). But like I said, he's a complementary piece more than anything - a system player. He's not someone I think will often go create his own space.

Chris Meck 01-29-2020 04:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14758610)
He didn't have a receiving TD against TN. Hill, Hill, Mahomes, Williams (rushing), Watkins.

It was the TD against Houston that you're thinking of and that play required a great design from Reid to get him open. It wasn't that he caught it on the move, it was that Kelce went out and rubbed the guy and that was supposed to sink into that zone and then Watkins got in his way on a crosser. It was a brilliantly designed play.

That's why I say he can be schemed into dangerous spots. Meanwhile Kamara can damn near line up as a WR and simply use his feet to create space. Williams isn't that.

He's faster and more powerful than he's given credit for; his balance is especially surprising (when he's running hard). But like I said, he's a complementary piece more than anything - a system player. He's not someone I think will often go create his own space.

correct, yes, Houston.

I'm not saying he's anything more than that.

I'm saying that if you bracket and blanket everyone else downfield, we can eat you alive on plays just like that one.

What I'm saying is that you literally cannot take away everything from this offense. We just have too many ways to beat you.

The only way we lose is if we come out like we did against Houston, and just shit down our collective legs for a quarter.

I suspect the team was a little tight; trying too hard.

I don't think that happens again.

RunKC 01-29-2020 04:37 PM

Think you’ll see plays like this one Sunday. You have no idea what to do as a pass rusher bc the ball could be 3 places in a matter of 2 seconds.

It’s hard as hell to keep track of all of these guys and maintain gap integrity on a play design like this

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Great call! The location of the route and throw were just so funky on this one. <a href="https://t.co/KnAD11lA6M">pic.twitter.com/KnAD11lA6M</a></p>&mdash; Nate Tice (@Nate_Tice) <a href="https://twitter.com/Nate_Tice/status/1222578676266463232?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">January 29, 2020</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

DJ's left nut 01-29-2020 04:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14758645)
correct, yes, Houston.

I'm not saying he's anything more than that.

I'm saying that if you bracket and blanket everyone else downfield, we can eat you alive on plays just like that one.

What I'm saying is that you literally cannot take away everything from this offense. We just have too many ways to beat you.

The only way we lose is if we come out like we did against Houston, and just shit down our collective legs for a quarter.

I suspect the team was a little tight; trying too hard.

I don't think that happens again.

Execute. Perfect execution can stop enough plays in any given drive to force a punt.

Watch the Watkins TD - that play was defended well. If the NCB doesn't just !@#$ up the coverage there and fall down, there's just about nothing available on that play.

Now granted, it's impossible to just call the right play every time, but do it often enough and you'll force 4-5 punts over the course of a game and it might be enough.

You're right - nobody's holding this offense to a significant degree. But if they can just stall things a bit they can call it a win.

Chris Meck 01-29-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 14758657)
Execute. Perfect execution can stop enough plays in any given drive to force a punt.

Watch the Watkins TD - that play was defended well. If the NCB doesn't just !@#$ up the coverage there and fall down, there's just about nothing available on that play.

Now granted, it's impossible to just call the right play every time, but do it often enough and you'll force 4-5 punts over the course of a game and it might be enough.

You're right - nobody's holding this offense to a significant degree. But if they can just stall things a bit they can call it a win.

It'll take a lot more than that for the 9'ers to win.

We have a nasty defense of our own now.

There's just no ****ing way barring a bunch of dropped passes and stupid turnovers that we lose this game. None.

Now, that can always happen. It's true.

But that's what it would take.

Easy 6 01-29-2020 04:49 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Oxford (Post 14758608)
Think they will be wearing red gloves (that match the Chiefs jerseys)?

That would be a sneaky thing to do, sure wouldn’t put it past them...

kcxiv 01-29-2020 04:51 PM

Fisher and Mitch nullify top tier pass rushers. Bosa this Bosa that. They have played multiple elite elite edge rushers this year.

Kman34 01-29-2020 05:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcxiv (Post 14758664)
Fisher and Mitch nullify top tier pass rushers. Bosa this Bosa that. They have played multiple elite elite edge rushers this year.

Yeah.. I was scared of Mack when we played the Bears.. Thought he could wreak shit but he was a non factor...

staylor26 01-29-2020 05:13 PM

Quote:

Tyrann Mathieu
@Mathieu_Era
Can’t spend no time on the beach. I’m tryna reward myself.

Quote:

Frank Clark
@TheRealFrankC_
Been there done that, tryna do something I’ve never done!

FOCUSED

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 01-29-2020 05:40 PM

I’m surprised we made it here without our best defensive player in BREELAND SPEAKS!!

Skyy God 01-29-2020 05:42 PM

More QB scrambles for 1st downs, pls.

“ What if things do break down, enough to make Mahomes consider bailing out of the pocket altogether? Well, the 49ers allowed the third-most rushing yards to quarterbacks this season, so I have some ideas.”

Nolimit 01-29-2020 05:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chris Meck (Post 14758662)
It'll take a lot more than that for the 9'ers to win.

We have a nasty defense of our own now.

There's just no ****ing way barring a bunch of dropped passes and stupid turnovers that we lose this game. None.

Now, that can always happen. It's true.

But that's what it would take.

Just impossible the team that scored more points in regular season, never went down double digits to wild card teams could win. I don’t even know why they are playing Sunday