ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Looks like Spagnuolo [favorite for] DC (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=320843)

Rams Fan 01-24-2019 12:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Hoover (Post 14069203)
Why wouldn't he just take a DC job on a playoff team like the Chiefs.

I'd go after him.

Because for all intents and purposes he is pretty much the DC for the Cowboys.

He has playcalling responsibilities instead of Marinelli.

Mulliganman 01-24-2019 01:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by chiefforlife (Post 14069167)
The longer this goes, the less I think its going to be Spags.
This is a huge hire and I hope they look at ALL options. Get it right, get a staff in place that like the offensive side has people in line for promotions.

I do like the idea of switching to a 4-3 base but like many people have said, most of the time Ds arent running out of their base D anyway.

I hope the fact Spags hasn't been hired yet means they are doing due diligence. They need to take time and find the best candidate for the job even if it means going outside his coaching tree. If not, and Andy doesn't get that ring with the Chiefs, then I can't really feel that bad for him if it doesn't happen.

ChiefoftheKeyboard 01-24-2019 01:06 PM

This is probably the most important hire of his career. Last time he moved an offensive guy to defense and it was a mess. Spagnuolo is just such a vanilla hire. Take a risk like you did with drafting mahomes

Mulliganman 01-24-2019 01:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 14069354)
If I had to guess.....it’s going to be Mike Smith. We’ll stay with 3-4 and have another defensive draft. They’ll preach that the defense just needs experience and how all of the players like Smith.

Let's hope not and I would think there would be some criticism from the KC media if it looked like they were going that direction and hopefully cause the team to reconsider.

FAX 01-24-2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulliganman (Post 14069474)
I hope the fact Spags hasn't been hired yet means they are doing due diligence. They need to take time and find the best candidate for the job even if it means going outside his coaching tree. If not, and Andy doesn't get that ring with the Chiefs, then I can't really feel that bad for him if it doesn't happen.

I understand the concern, but quite a few Planeteers tend to underestimate Wally. Based on his entire history, this move had to be difficult for him. He bet on Sutton and lost. And he lost in front of everybody. Big stage. Owner pounding the big drum. All NFL eyeballs on the big game.

Wally is acutely aware of his legacy and that his opportunity to win a Lombardi is now. I'm 100% confident that all his friends and family are telling him the same thing ... he has to get this hire right.

FAX

ChiefoftheKeyboard 01-24-2019 01:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mulliganman (Post 14069486)
Let's hope not and I would think there would be some criticism from the KC media if it looked like they were going that direction and hopefully cause the team to reconsider.

Sutton would've been fired after the terrible colts playoff in '13 if the chiefs cared about the media that much

Bowser 01-24-2019 01:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 14069491)
I understand the concern, but quite a few Planeteers tend to underestimate Wally. Based on his entire history, this move had to be difficult for him. He bet on Sutton and lost. And he lost in front of everybody. Big stage. Owner pounding the big drum. All NFL eyeballs on the big game.

Wally is acutely aware of his legacy and that his opportunity to win a Lombardi is now. I'm 100% confident that all his friends and family are telling him the same thing ... he has to get this hire right.

FAX

Let's hope that Wally remembers the days when he was a young and hungry assistant himself, Mr. FAX. Perhaps that will help the case of interviewing a Mike MacDonald or Chris Hewitt....

Sassy Squatch 01-24-2019 01:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 14069498)
Let's hope that Wally remembers the days when he was a young and hungry assistant himself, Mr. FAX. Perhaps that will help the case of interviewing a Mike MacDonald or Chris Hewitt....

Or hope he remembers that cronyism and nepotism never pay off in the long run. See: Juan Castillo.

Mulliganman 01-24-2019 01:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FAX (Post 14069491)

FAX

God, we can only hope he has friends telling him that. I'm wondering when we will start to see reports about candidates coming in for interviews.

pugsnotdrugs19 01-24-2019 02:00 PM

Not any news on this front all day. Wonder what’s really going on.

Mulliganman 01-24-2019 02:01 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChiefoftheKeyboard (Post 14069495)
Sutton would've been fired after the terrible colts playoff in '13 if the chiefs cared about the media that much

Truth there for sure. But, the team wasn't a legitimate threat for a Super Bowl title like they are now. I guess its just more hopeful thinking on my part to reassure that Andy won't screw this up.

RunKC 01-24-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by pugsnotdrugs19 (Post 14069682)

Probably deciding which of Andy’s friends he wants to hire. Mike Smith or Spags.

Sassy Squatch 01-24-2019 02:03 PM

Quote:

Hopefully we're working out an interview with an outside candidate.

Mulliganman 01-24-2019 02:07 PM

Quote:

THIS! I'd rather than take a month and get it right than a quick decision due to "history" or "family ties". But, I'm wondering if the report on Spags by Schefter was more of just throwing something out there and hoping it sticks than anything.

ChiefoftheKeyboard 01-24-2019 02:07 PM

They should interview Jack del rio before he gets hired by the bengals