ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals *** Official 2017 Royals Repository *** (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=306961)

KChiefs1 07-15-2017 04:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 12956417)
Midseason Prospect Update

Doing something different this time: I dumped everything into a google spreadsheet, which you can access here:

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...htmlview#gid=0

Feel free to share, but I hope my amateur-ish thoughts can be contained to this board and not others.

I ranked 1-36 guys, and have included their position, current level, upside assessment, and notes for each. All based on compiling reports from various web sources, watching video, and some statistical analysis.

Here are some highlights:

1B Nick Pratto - Pratto should move more quickly than most HS draftees due to his polish; already a professional hitter with a plan at the plate and good understanding of the strike zone, the key to his development is going to be applying that knowledge to pick pitches he can do real damage with in hitters counts; has the approach and swing to adjust to a quality two-strike approach. At his best, would project as a plus defender at 1B who hits .280+ consistently with strong OBP profile and 25-30 HR power. Power grade may seem high, but guys who understand the strike zone often get more out of their raw power than guys with more of it who hack away.

OF Khalil Lee - Powerful athlete with speed and arm to stay in RF and be a plus defender. Impressive power and plate discipline profile, paired with high K rate presently. With more contact, top 100 prospect type. Only 18, playing full season ball.

C MJ Melendez - Melendez is going to stick behind the dish, there's little doubt. He already is a good defender, and has the athleticism and plus arm to be an elite defender at the MLB level. He also has good pop from the left side of the plate, and his baseball pedigree is impressive. I'm probably too high on him, but I think we're looking at the Royals' next starting C (potentially arriving just in time to allow Salvador Perez to become a part time C/more time DH-1B in the twilight of his career).

RP Richard Lovelady - Richard (don't call him Dick) Lovelady is on a similar track as Greg Holland… undersized, late-round draftee from a small school whose stuff ticked up as a minor league bullpen piece. Big-time stuff, with mid-to-high 90s heat and a wipeout slider. He has dominated the minor leagues far more than Holland, who seemed to really have something click in the majors, and may quickly force his way up to AAA.

OF Marten Gasparini - I was told to keep ****ing doubting him, and it looks like our resident Marten fan may have been on to something. Gasparini is Mondesi-lite… he's a great athlete with tremendous tools. He got off to a horrendous start to 2017 but has improved with the bat as the weather has heated up.

CF Michael Gigliotti - First-round talent who fell after average JR season. Good speed, has defense to stay in CF (arm profiles a little lighter than liked). Good contact, OBP skills, great baserunner. Ability to drive ball at MLB level is question.

2B Esteury Ruiz - Shout-out to Clint Scoles at BP for alerting the KC internet presence to Ruiz, a scrawny 2B who was signed for a smaller bonus out of the Dominican. That grade may seem crazy, but Ruiz is a good athlete who has put up huge offensive numbers (and huge power numbers) so far (albeit at rookie ball). No Royals prospect in the Dayton Moore era can match his numbers for his level so far.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Which of these guys could help this year?

duncan_idaho 07-15-2017 05:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12958025)
Which of these guys could help this year?

Lovelady. Maybe Zimmer and Almonte. Bullpen pieces.

Sure-Oz 07-15-2017 08:35 PM

5 game losing streak now. Not good

tk13 07-15-2017 08:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 12958271)

Yeah but three of those were against the Dodgers.

If they keep playing like this, nothing anyone else does is going to matter. Another blowout tonight, Bellinger hit for the cycle. Alex Wood did not allow a run. Now 11-0 with a 1.56 ERA. They're 63 -29. That's just ridiculous.

Sure-Oz 07-15-2017 09:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tk13 (Post 12958280)
Yeah but three of those were against the Dodgers.

If they keep playing like this, nothing anyone else does is going to matter. Another blowout tonight, Bellinger hit for the cycle. Alex Wood did not allow a run. Now 11-0 with a 1.56 ERA. They're 63 -29. That's just ridiculous.

Wow...nuts. Royals apparently interested in JD Martinez too. Better start getting some wins now

Bearcat 07-15-2017 09:43 PM

A's walked off the Indians.

Bufkin 07-15-2017 09:43 PM

Blow this shit up yesterday. 4 hit shutout and Duffy getting the loss on a 1 run gem. Pitiful.

ChiefsCountry 07-15-2017 09:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 12958271)

Indians keep losing as well.

penbrook 07-15-2017 10:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 12958316)
Wow...nuts. Royals apparently interested in JD Martinez too. Better start getting some wins now

Really!! DH that man

penbrook 07-15-2017 10:11 PM

Quote:

The Cardinals, Dodgers and Royals seem to be leading the chase for Tigers contract-year slugger J.D. Martinez, according to Cafardo. As AL Central rivals of the Tigers, the Royals are especially familiar with Martinez, who has slashed .298/.379/.602 with 14 home runs in 219 plate appearances this year. The $11.75MM right fielder would significantly boost a below-average Kansas City offense that has received awful production from longtime franchise cornerstone Alex Gordon in left field.

KChiefs1 07-15-2017 10:14 PM

Quote:

Add Dee Gordon, Pat Neshek & Martinez & they could win this thing.

penbrook 07-15-2017 10:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12958345)

We won't have a farm after this

mr. tegu 07-15-2017 10:40 PM

When you are the Royals and you are playing the Rangers, you lose. It's what you do.

DaneMcCloud 07-15-2017 10:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12958345)

First off, change the goddamned Tapatalk settings.

JFC!

Secondly, the Royals don't have the pitching to last through September without a miracle.

BigCatDaddy 07-15-2017 10:57 PM

I wonder who ends up with the better FA deal... Martinez or Hosmer.

duncan_idaho 07-16-2017 06:18 AM

The five game losing streak is really poorly timed, and I don't know what it is about the goddamn Texas rangers that is Kryptonite to this club (the A's, too).

Getting brutalized by those two teams cost KC a wildcard chance last year and may do the same this year. So weird.

JD Martinez would be a great addition, and he is having a great season. I imagine the Tigers would be looking for a significant return, and just don't see where KC matches up there.

I do wonder if maybe they're thinking about selling an asset as part of that type of deal. Would require some creativity, but maybe a three-team works it out.

If they get Martinez, I'd probably worry less about adding Gordon unless the Marlins just give him away.

With Martinez on board, you could move Cain to the lead off spot or second spot in the order.

Merrifield
Cain
Martinez
Hosmer
Perez
Moustakas
Bonifacio (RF)
Gordon
Escobar

Is a pretty deep lineup, particularly 2-6.

duncan_idaho 07-16-2017 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BigCatDaddy (Post 12958378)
I wonder who ends up with the better FA deal... Martinez or Hosmer.

It should be Martinez, though if I'm an NL team, I'd be hesitant to commit to him long term. He's such an awful defender...

So that may limit the market a bit. If you're an AL team that can play him mostly at DH and occasionally in LF, it works out great.

Unless he stops whatever PED he's on after the contract. Then it sucks.

Sure-Oz 07-16-2017 07:08 AM

Please win today Royals...still 3 games back. Very fortunate...

NWTF 07-16-2017 08:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sure-Oz (Post 12958450)
Please win today Royals...still 3 games back. Very fortunate...

Thats the thing, our division sucks or is mediocre at best. I dont see why the Royals cant come out on top in this division in the end.

Prison Bitch 07-16-2017 09:46 AM

Sell this shit team

They had a 10 game homestsnd vs losing teams to open up the 2H. Already face planted first 2. If they don't win 5/8 left, the team should be sold top to bottom

siberian khatru 07-16-2017 11:17 AM

Nationals get Doolittle, Madson from A's

penbrook 07-16-2017 11:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by siberian khatru (Post 12958618)
Nationals get Doolittle, Madson from A's

Madson is a good dude. Doolittle hasn't been that good this year

Mama Hip Rockets 07-16-2017 04:40 PM

Fun Royals quiz if you're bored. How many players can you name that have started on Opening Day? I love this website (Sporcle) and taking quizzes like this, so I thought I'd share it with you nerds.

https://www.sporcle.com/games/tk925/royalsopeningday

penbrook 07-16-2017 06:52 PM

Per Buster Olney

Sources say that the Indians are among the teams evaluating Sonny Gray. Cleveland overcame rotation injuries in '16 to reach Game 7/WS.

penbrook 07-16-2017 06:53 PM

Btw Abraham Almonte jut got a home run 505 ft

KChiefs1 07-16-2017 08:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbrook (Post 12959249)
Per Buster Olney

Sources say that the Indians are among the teams evaluating Sonny Gray. Cleveland overcame rotation injuries in '16 to reach Game 7/WS.

I wouldn't like that.

Mama Hip Rockets 07-16-2017 10:14 PM

Not Royals-related, but I just stumbled on this interesting baseball fun fact: The 1996 AL All-Stars somehow got shut out despite having Ken Griffey Jr., Frank Thomas, Alex Rodriguez, Mark McGwire, Edgar Martinez, Jay Buhner, Greg Vaughn, Chuck Knoblauch, and Joe Carter ON THEIR BENCH.

KChiefs1 07-16-2017 11:19 PM

I think I'll do an AL update every Sunday to track the Royals standing in the division & WC.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...e0232179c3.pnghttps://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...58c6e888c5.png

KChiefs1 07-17-2017 12:13 AM

Damn the Dodgers are looking good.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...a0c1d9cf0e.jpg

suzzer99 07-17-2017 12:27 AM

We just lost 5 out of 6 and dropped 1 game in the division standings. I'll take it!

Jerok 07-17-2017 05:24 AM

28 and 4? Holy christ

Archie F. Swin 07-17-2017 05:29 AM

how early do you have to get to The K for BP?

TomBarndtsTwin 07-17-2017 08:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12959600)

Agreed.

Nice rack, Dodgers.

Dartgod 07-17-2017 09:44 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 12959695)
Agreed.

Nice rack, Dodgers.

That face though...

mikeyis4dcats. 07-17-2017 10:07 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Archie F. Swin (Post 12959629)
how early do you have to get to The K for BP?

Quote:

BATTING PRACTICE

Normally, the Royals conduct batting practice from 4:50 p.m. to 5:40 p.m. while visiting teams hit from 5:40 p.m. to 6:30 p.m. for a 7:15 p.m. game. The Royals take BP from 3:50 p.m. to 4:40 p.m. and visiting teams from 4:40 p.m. to 5:30 p.m. for a 6:15 p.m. game. The Royals hit from 10:50 a.m. to 11:40 a.m. and visiting teams hit from 11:40 a.m. to 12:30 p.m. for a 1:15 p.m. game. Batting practice times are subject to change or cancellation. Batting Practice is not in coordination of gate times into the stadium. Click here to learn more and to purchase your Early Bird pass which allows early entrance into the stadium to view batting practice from above the dugouts. *Early Bird passes are subject to availability.
That's crap, i didn't know you had to pay now, you used to be able to get in free.

penbrook 07-17-2017 10:14 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 12959751)
That face though...

Looks like ET

Fansy the Famous Bard 07-17-2017 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Dartgod (Post 12959751)
That face though...

She had a face?

tk13 07-17-2017 11:00 AM

I can't remember where I read or saw it, but I know there was some debate recently about MLB switching it up so the home team has BP last, just for that reason. Allows fans to see their own team hit.

BWillie 07-17-2017 12:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by KChiefs1 (Post 12959600)

Heidi Watney, MUUUCHH better

DeepSouth 07-17-2017 12:17 PM

The first two games against the Tigers, the Royals will be starting Left Handed pitchers (Vargas & Woods). Is this just the way it worked out or is there some strategy about lefties against Detroit?

Why Not? 07-17-2017 12:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepSouth (Post 12959994)
The first two games against the Tigers, the Royals will be starting Left Handed pitchers (Vargas & Woods). Is this just the way it worked out or is there some strategy about lefties against Detroit?

I highly doubt the strategy against Miguel Cabrera, JD Martinez and Ian Kinsler is to purposely arrange your rotation to make sure they get ab's against your lefties.

DeepSouth 07-17-2017 01:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Why Not? (Post 12960027)
I highly doubt the strategy against Miguel Cabrera, JD Martinez and Ian Kinsler is to purposely arrange your rotation to make sure they get ab's against your lefties.

You're probably correct but, three out of the four games with Detroit, the Royals will be starting a lefty;

Vargas
Wood
Hammel
Duffy

ChiTown 07-17-2017 01:32 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">(Cont.) We have also recalled OF <a href="https://twitter.com/BillyBurns45">@BillyBurns45</a> from <a href="https://twitter.com/OMAStormChasers">@OMAStormChasers</a> and optioned OF Jorge Soler...</p>&mdash; Kansas City Royals (@Royals) <a href="https://twitter.com/Royals/status/887028414552702976">July 17, 2017</a></blockquote>
<script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

ChiTown 07-17-2017 01:32 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Several roster moves to announce today: We have reinstated RHP <a href="https://twitter.com/NefFeliz">@NefFeliz</a> from the Paternity List and optioned RHP <a href="https://twitter.com/MiguelAlmonte27">@MiguelAlmonte27</a> to Omaha.</p>&mdash; Kansas City Royals (@Royals) <a href="https://twitter.com/Royals/status/887028211292491777">July 17, 2017</a></blockquote>

siberian khatru 07-17-2017 01:39 PM

I'm a Soler supporter and was fine with the Davis trade -- I still like the chances of it working out over the next few years. But man, he's been godawful this season, far, far, far worse than he ever was with the Cubs. This just may be a lost season for him.

C3HIEF3S 07-17-2017 02:04 PM

100% fine with the Soler move for the sole reason that he's getting everyday AB's. It makes no sense to me why Moss has been given the leash that he has, but if the Royals are dead-set on giving Moss AB's over Soler, then Soler needs to be in the minors getting work in.

I imagine, barring injuries at the major league club, Soler will be in Omaha until September call-ups. While his track record has been brutal in KC thus far, the hand he has been dealt has been just as brutal for how raw he is and how little everyday major league experience he has gotten to this point.

DJ's left nut 07-17-2017 02:33 PM

Royals said to be 'very aggressive' in their pursuit of Lance Lynn.

Eh. Cuthbert's been hurt all season and bad. Dozier's been hurt. The Cardinals don't need pitching unless it's righthanded bullpen help and if the Cards were looking short term well hell, they could just move Lynn to the 'pen.

Pitching salaries are crazy enough that the Cardinals could price-enforce Lynn into a likely sandwich pick this offseason. Offer him 4/$52 and he wouldn't take it, but it would be a starting point in negotiations and could yield him getting over that $50 million threshold (the only way he'd stay below it is if he took less term; 3/$48 or something like that). That being the case, the bare minimum return they should take is the rough value of that sandwich slot (so a fringe 1st round talent). If I'm the Royals I probably don't give that up.

Besides, the Royals SS and 1b cupboard is pretty bare. That's where the Cardinals really need help.

I'm honestly not sure I see a deal lining up here but baseball is weird so who knows?

penbrook 07-17-2017 02:41 PM

We need a DH more than anything

Why Not? 07-17-2017 02:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DeepSouth (Post 12960076)
You're probably correct but, three out of the four games with Detroit, the Royals will be starting a lefty;

Vargas
Wood
Hammel
Duffy

I think that is more of a function of the rotation has 3 lefties and it just fell that way this time. Could be wrong. I am way to lazy to check Detroit's numbers vs lefties this year.

Sure-Oz 07-17-2017 02:54 PM

Glad Soler will get abs...stupid to call him up if he wasn't going to start everyday

DJ's left nut 07-17-2017 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbrook (Post 12960190)
We need a DH more than anything

I'm sure the Royals haven't soured on Mondesi at all, have they? He seems like a complete non-starter but would Lynn + DeJong get any traction?

DeJong's hit the hell out of the ball and played SS for the Cardinals for the last month. Full disclosure - I don't think that's his true talent level nor do I think he's an actual SS, but he can probably make himself almost league average defensively and even if he never draws walks, he'll always have 20 HR power.

So...maybe a 2-2.5 WAR player at SS? Give or take. And he'd be able to help the Royals right now if that's what they have in mind.

If I'm KC I don't even consider Mondesi as part of a Lynn deal but if I'm the Cardinals, I don't see a way to get a trade made that he's not a part of.

duncan_idaho 07-17-2017 03:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12960179)

Eh. Cuthbert's been hurt all season and bad. Dozier's been hurt. The Cardinals don't need pitching unless it's righthanded bullpen help and if the Cards were looking short term well hell, they could just move Lynn to the 'pen.

Pitching salaries are crazy enough that the Cardinals could price-enforce Lynn into a likely sandwich pick this offseason. Offer him 4/$52 and he wouldn't take it, but it would be a starting point in negotiations and could yield him getting over that $50 million threshold (the only way he'd stay below it is if he took less term; 3/$48 or something like that). That being the case, the bare minimum return they should take is the rough value of that sandwich slot (so a fringe 1st round talent). If I'm the Royals I probably don't give that up.

Besides, the Royals SS and 1b cupboard is pretty bare. That's where the Cardinals really need help.

I'm honestly not sure I see a deal lining up here but baseball is weird so who knows?

Two of the Royals top five prospects are SS at AA or higher (Mondesi at Omaha, Nicky Lopez at Northwest Arkansas). KC would actually match up fairly well there if the Cardinals are interested in Lopez.

Lopez is a college guy from Creighton with above average OBP skills. Not a ton of pop, but good speed and a good defender who will stick at SS.

I don't think the Cardinals can offer a larger contract and get the QO compensation, though I may be wrong. Believe it has to be the one year, $18 million qualifying offer.

Don't think Lynn would take that at this point, but who knows?

DJ's left nut 07-17-2017 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 12960229)
Two of the Royals top five prospects are SS at AA or higher (Mondesi at Omaha, Nicky Lopez at Northwest Arkansas). KC would actually match up fairly well there if the Cardinals are interested in Lopez.

Lopez is a college guy from Creighton with above average OBP skills. Not a ton of pop, but good speed and a good defender who will stick at SS.

I don't think the Cardinals can offer a larger contract and get the QO compensation, though I may be wrong. Believe it has to be the one year, $18 million qualifying offer.

Don't think Lynn would take that at this point, but who knows?

They can't 'formally' do it, no. But they can offer the QO and then back-channel an offer to him. If he turns down the QO and goes the FA route, the Cards can still stay in the game and offer him the long-term deal that hits the 'magic number'. That way he either takes their offer and they get a relative bargain at a low AAV or he takes less term than he wants and stays under that $50 million threshold elsewhere.

Is Lopez a genuinely GOOD shortstop? Because I see a guy that's holding his own when he's at/over age but hasn't demonstrated that he'll be a genuine offensive asset. In other words, I see a lot of Greg Garcia in that boy.

If he's a no-pop middle-infielder who gets on base but is probably better served at 2b than SS, I don't see a ton of value there. If he's a guy that at least profiles as an above average defender and 'true shorstop' that the Cardinals haven't had since...shit, Renteria, then maybe there's grounds for discussion.

DJ's left nut 07-17-2017 03:22 PM

Ah shit. I see a whole lot of of 'grit' and 'motor' in his scouting reports. 'Undersized' and 'solid' all over the place.

Dunno man, Lopez sure looks to have utility guy written all over him. Scouts are nice guys more often than they aren't and 'grit' is usually code for 'lacks tools'. It's not always a bad thing, but in THAT particular prospect profile, it usually becomes one by about the time they hit AAA.

I think I'd rather roll the dice on the QO with Lynn. Don't see any ceiling here and I think the Cards have a couple of guys like Lopez in their system already (Tommy Edman comes immediately to mind and they just used a pick on another one in Kramer from LSU).

penbrook 07-17-2017 03:24 PM

I wouldn't say replace Esky at all. Surprisingly he's been the hottest hitter on the team and has risen his batting average .50 points in basically a month.

Halfcan 07-17-2017 03:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12958542)
Sell this shit team

They had a 10 game homestsnd vs losing teams to open up the 2H. Already face planted first 2. If they don't win 5/8 left, the team should be sold top to bottom

ROFL

Relax- we are only 2 games out. So much baseball to be played yet.

Prison Bitch 07-17-2017 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12960179)

Strahm straight up is FV but then, I really like Strahm.

The Cards aren't selling despite your protestations. Their FG playoff odds are actually better than the Royals (24% - 22%) so who exactly would be the seller there? The NL is hot dogshit outside 2 excellent teams.

What's Lynn's current value anyway? Pitch FX says his velocity is down 1-2mph and his FB value has gone from elite to good. Given his secondary stuff has always had slightly negative value, it may be fair to ask: did Lynns injury sap his FB veto or location or movement? If so he's JAG at the back of a rotation, Edinson Volquez redux

SBInfinity 07-17-2017 03:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mikeyis4dcats. (Post 12959782)
That's crap, i didn't know you had to pay now, you used to be able to get in free.

They're usually done with BP by the time the gates open
and a lot of days like when it is really hot--they don't take BP on the field--they have indoor cages

DJ's left nut 07-17-2017 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Prison Bitch (Post 12960263)
Strahm straight up is FV but then, I really like Strahm.

The Cards aren't selling despite your protestations. Their FG playoff odds are actually better than the Royals (24% - 22%) so who exactly would be the seller there? The NL is hot dogshit outside 2 excellent teams.

What's Lynn's current value anyway? Pitch FX says his velocity is down 1-2mph and his FB value has gone from elite to good. Given his secondary stuff has always had slightly negative value, it may be fair to ask: did Lynns injury sap his FB veto or location or movement? If so he's JAG at the back of a rotation, Edinson Volquez redux

I agree. Lynn is a JAG at the back of a rotation. But the question isn't necessarily what I'd pay for him as much as what the market will bear for him.

That's why I say his value should start at roughly the compensation pick - I think he'll decline the QO and get the money he needs to break that $50 million threshold. As such, that's where any offer the Cardinals should consider needs to start. And if I'm the Royals, I wouldn't give up that much to get him.

As for the 'why', to me it's simple TJ rust. Everybody that comes back from TJ is 'getting to know' their arm again in that 1st year back. It doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things unless they're just hot garbage. Lynn isn't so that's a good sign going forward. I suspect he'll be back to where he was prior to the injury by next season.

But 'where he was' is still prone as hell to getting wrecked by lefties because he refuses to challenge them with fastballs at their hands and doesn't have the breaking pitch to beat them away. So he just nibbles till he walks them or feeds them a cockshot.

I was a huge Lynn fan about 3 years ago but he just never got over this LHH problem. That limits him to being a 3rd starter (4th on a very good squad). I'm not sure what value that truly has. Then again, Mike Leake got $80 million so one needn't be good to be expensive anymore.

And the Cards aren't selling because they're delusional. They aren't getting past the Dodgers or the Nats. And that's if they could even survive the D-Backs, Brewers, Rockies or this weird watered down version of the Cubs.

They have no business staying in this. The team isn't good enough.

Bufkin 07-17-2017 04:05 PM

I'll be at the K tonight chilling in the Blue Moon Tap Room with Joe Randa, Mike Sweeney, and a few other lucky Royals Charity winners. Vargas on the mound tonight is simply icing on the cake.

Al Bundy 07-17-2017 04:07 PM

I'm glad I don't have to watch Soler play the rest of this season.

duncan_idaho 07-17-2017 04:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12960228)
I'm sure the Royals haven't soured on Mondesi at all, have they? He seems like a complete non-starter but would Lynn + DeJong get any traction?

DeJong's hit the hell out of the ball and played SS for the Cardinals for the last month. Full disclosure - I don't think that's his true talent level nor do I think he's an actual SS, but he can probably make himself almost league average defensively and even if he never draws walks, he'll always have 20 HR power.

So...maybe a 2-2.5 WAR player at SS? Give or take. And he'd be able to help the Royals right now if that's what they have in mind.

If I'm KC I don't even consider Mondesi as part of a Lynn deal but if I'm the Cardinals, I don't see a way to get a trade made that he's not a part of.

Mondesi is, if anything, more untouchable than he has been previously.

His success at AAA has cemented that.

I wouldn't trade him to headline a package for Jose Quintana or Sonny Gray. So I guess I'm in the same boat as the team.

duncan_idaho 07-17-2017 04:17 PM

As for Lopez... scouts I've seen on him from this season put an above-average glove on him. Pair that with good enough speed to steal 20 bags, and the ability to be a .280/.350/.375 bat, and you've got an above-average MLB regular.

Prison Bitch 07-17-2017 04:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DJ's left nut (Post 12960285)
I agree. Lynn is a JAG at the back of a rotation. But the question isn't necessarily what I'd pay for him as much as what the market will bear for him.

That's why I say his value should start at roughly the compensation pick - I think he'll decline the QO and get the money he needs to break that $50 million threshold. As such, that's where any offer the Cardinals should consider needs to start. And if I'm the Royals, I wouldn't give up that much to get him.

He'll get 50M so long as he doesn't miss much time the rest of the year. Guys who are proven starters will always get paid. Look how much Brett Anderson has stolen off of one or two sub-Lynn years.

Quote:

As for the 'why', to me it's simple TJ rust. Everybody that comes back from TJ is 'getting to know' their arm again in that 1st year back. It doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things unless they're just hot garbage. Lynn isn't so that's a good sign going forward. I suspect he'll be back to where he was prior to the injury by next season.
Highly probable

Quote:

But 'where he was' is still prone as hell to getting wrecked by lefties because he refuses to challenge them with fastballs at their hands and doesn't have the breaking pitch to beat them away. So he just nibbles till he walks them or feeds them a cockshot.

I was a huge Lynn fan about 3 years ago but he just never got over this LHH problem. That limits him to being a 3rd starter (4th on a very good squad). I'm not sure what value that truly has. Then again, Mike Leake got $80 million so one needn't be good to be expensive anymore.

And the Cards aren't selling because they're delusional. They aren't getting past the Dodgers or the Nats. And that's if they could even survive the D-Backs, Brewers, Rockies or this weird watered down version of the Cubs.

They have no business staying in this. The team isn't good enough.
Pfffft. The 2006 team was shit and they won it all. They had 2 stars and crap. They had teams the prior few years that were good enough so I don't knock 2006. But crazy shit happens in Oct

penbrook 07-17-2017 04:57 PM

Per Bob Nightengale

The #Astros still favorites for #A's Sonny Gray, but #Royals very aggressive on him, #STLCards Lance Lynn,others

penbrook 07-17-2017 04:58 PM

What would it take to get a package deal for Justin Wilson and J.D Martinez

Prison Bitch 07-17-2017 05:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by penbrook (Post 12960395)
What would it take to get a package deal for Justin Wilson and J.D Martinez

If you have to ask,you can't afford it - grandpa

penbrook 07-17-2017 05:56 PM

Per Rustin Dodd

Ned Yost has now twice said he believes Jorge Soler's offensive ceiling is a "Sano-type player". Once a few weeks ago, once today.

KChiefs1 07-17-2017 06:11 PM

Stealing money.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...68651309df.png

KChiefs1 07-17-2017 06:13 PM

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/201...04d3a417ba.png

lewdog 07-17-2017 06:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bufkin (Post 12960323)
I'll be at the K tonight chilling in the Blue Moon Tap Room with Joe Randa, Mike Sweeney, and a few other lucky Royals Charity winners. Vargas on the mound tonight is simply icing on the cake.

What'd you pay or who's dick did you suck for that?

TomBarndtsTwin 07-17-2017 07:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by duncan_idaho (Post 12945808)
Regression is possible - and some is likely - but a second half where he gives up enough runs to land in the mid-3s for the year would require some extreme regression. Assume he makes 15 starts and averages six innings a start... he'd need to give up 46 earned runs to get to a mid-3 ERA. Just that mark would require him to pitch to a 4.60 ERA in the second half.

If he pitches to a mid-3 ERA in the second half, you're looking at a final ERA in the low 3s

3.75 (in line with his FIP, which I place little general stock in): 3.25

4: 3.39

I'll also mention that Rick Porcello, 2016 Cy Young winner, is a good example of why it's possible Vargas just continues to do this all year.

Still don't think we'll see a big regression from Vargas in the second half?

All indications seem to be leaning that way based on his last two starts.

Al Bundy 07-17-2017 07:21 PM

Vargas should have gone 120 tonight for what he did tonight.

C3HIEF3S 07-17-2017 07:48 PM

At the game so I can't embed, but Royals have a scout watching Julio Teheran tonight per David O'Brien's Twitter.

Dartgod 07-17-2017 08:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Al Bundy (Post 12960721)
Vargas should have gone 120 tonight for what he did tonight.

Don't make me ban you from this thread too.

Al Bundy 07-17-2017 08:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C3HIEF3S (Post 12960786)
At the game so I can't embed, but Royals have a scout watching Julio Teheran tonight per David O'Brien's Twitter.

I saw that.

Sure-Oz 07-17-2017 09:39 PM

Royals offense has gone to shit again, Vargas regressing and now Escobar could be out possibly for awhile.

Al Bundy 07-17-2017 09:48 PM

I put in 88 wins before the season.. If Esky is out for a while they have no chance of getting to 88 wins.

penbrook 07-17-2017 09:50 PM

Esky has been the only bright spot in the lineup. He's been on fire! Top 3 in batting the past month in the MLB

Al Bundy 07-17-2017 09:58 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" data-lang="en"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Ned Yost on Escobar: &quot;He&#39;ll probably play tomorrow.&quot;</p>&mdash; Rustin Dodd (@rustindodd) <a href="https://twitter.com/rustindodd/status/887158910913830913">July 18, 2017</a></blockquote>