ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Royals Stadium Watch 2024 -Jackson County Residents: How Are You Voting? (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=352871)

Mecca 04-02-2024 07:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bowser (Post 17468130)
Just stop. If major league teams brought no economic benefit to major metro areas, the teams wouldn't BE in major metro areas.

Cities lose money on stadiums...alot of money and the revenue does not make it break even.

DrRyan 04-02-2024 07:11 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 17468128)
They will be well paid.

Please educate us all how you possibly know what the payout would be. As I said, not a single business owner I know that would be affected had any return communication when they reached out. It's a poorly articulated plan with little to no details shared.

IowaHawkeyeChief 04-02-2024 07:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17468131)
Actually a team can buy and build it's own stadium, it's been done before. But they're all to busy grifting on cities to not pay for that shit.

Nah, it's mutually beneficial or they wouldn't do it and it's done by a vote of the people. Also, a sales tax is the fairest tax of all, especially when it is spent on a revenue generating purpose. Also, if you think they wouldn't have a similar sales tax % if the Chiefs/Royals left for some other purpose, you are naive.

Bowser 04-02-2024 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17468133)
Cities lose money on stadiums...alot of money and the revenue does not make it break even.

We talking about Kansas City after 2014-15 and Kansas City the last six years with Mahomes, or are we talking about Cleveland and Detroit?

LoneWolf 04-02-2024 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17468133)

I’ve seen the “studies” that state this and the numbers are flawed. There’s a reason cities fall all over themselves to bring in pro sports teams and it isn’t because they lose money on it.

Bearcat 04-02-2024 07:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 17468115)
History has show it is not a bluff. Just ask Oakland or St. Louis, for example.

Your lack of knowledge is a you problem.

The last lease extension/renovation vote failed the first time, too.

I know people around here (not you particularly) love to predict doom and gloom, but the Royals and Chiefs aren't moving to another city tomorrow if it doesn't pass.... they can submit another proposal or work with another county.

It's seven ****ing years away.

Red Dawg 04-02-2024 07:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrRyan (Post 17468135)
Please educate us all how you possibly know what the payout would be. As I said, not a single business owner I know that would be affected had any return communication when they reached out. It's a poorly articulated plan with little to no details shared.

They haven't gotten the whole plan yet. Gotta have the vote first but they would be bought out. Thats how its done and has been done everywhere.

KCUnited 04-02-2024 07:15 PM

Tulsa with better bbq

Titty Meat 04-02-2024 07:16 PM

KC didn't become a big city because of sports lol infact during most of the time the sports teams were here the city shrunk in population

Mecca 04-02-2024 07:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 17468142)
They haven't gotten the whole plan yet. Gotta have the vote first but they would be bought out. Thats how its done and has been done everywhere.

The fact that you'd vote yes to give billions without knowing even half the plan is all I need to know.

Red Dawg 04-02-2024 07:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17468141)

I know people around here (not you particularly) love to predict doom and gloom, but the Royals and Chiefs aren't moving to another city tomorrow if it doesn't pass.... they can submit another proposal or work with another county.

Maybe some of the sorry ass no voters will die off or move out. ****ing pathetic ass Jackson county fighting against keeping the two teams in the city.

Red Dawg 04-02-2024 07:18 PM

KC tenants can **** right off.

Red Dawg 04-02-2024 07:19 PM

Chiefs give us a dynasty and what do the citizens say? **** off and **** the stadium we own.

Mecca 04-02-2024 07:19 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 17468148)
Maybe some of the sorry ass no voters will die off or move out. ****ing pathetic ass Jackson county fighting against keeping the two teams in the city.

Aren't you the resident old ****?

mnchiefsguy 04-02-2024 07:19 PM

Quote:

This is all true. I will not predict doom and gloom, but it will be troubling sign if it fails.

I would just assume to put this thing to bed and focus on winning Super Bowls. The Royals are putting in a billion dollars, so while the plan is far from perfect, I think it is reasonable.

Do we really want KC to miss out on a Taylor Swift billion dollar tour seven years from now? :)

Pablo 04-02-2024 07:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 17468152)
Chiefs give us a dynasty and what do the citizens say? **** off and **** the stadium we own.

These are the early votes spaz. Ever watched an election unfold? There’s plenty of time for this to pass and KC to ascend to St Louis/Chicago/Minneapolis status!

Because those cities = good
Tulsa = bad

Bearcat 04-02-2024 07:20 PM

End of the day though, I'd probably vote yes if I lived there.... because it guarantees the Chiefs will be in KC until Mahomes retires.

Sure... a modern day baseball stadium won't fit in the proposed site, much less the baseball village thing.

Sure... the Chiefs are using millions of dollars to upgrade a walking bridge and tear out a bunch of prime lower level seats so they can make even more money.

Sure... the Royals have been a trash franchise for all but 2 years in the past 30+.

Sure... these assholes are probably bluffing and would come back with a far better plan in a couple years.

....buuuut..... Mahomes? Hell, I'd write him a check for $200/year until he retires with the Chiefs.

Red Dawg 04-02-2024 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 17468154)
This is all true. I will not predict doom and gloom, but it will be troubling sign if it fails.

I would just assume to put this thing to bed and focus on winning Super Bowls. The Royals are putting in a billion dollars, so while the plan is far from perfect, I think it is reasonable.

Do we really want KC to miss out on a Taylor Swift billion dollar tour seven years from now? :)

Apparently so. Because of a shitty little tax that barely anyone ever talked about. Stupid ass people

mnchiefsguy 04-02-2024 07:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 17468146)
KC didn't become a big city because of sports lol infact during most of the time the sports teams were here the city shrunk in population

Perception is reality most of the time. Take away the Chiefs and the Royals, and KC is viewed as a fly-over town like Des Moines, Omaha and Little Rock. No denying that.

Pablo 04-02-2024 07:22 PM

But but but what will people who don’t live here think about us???

Titty Meat 04-02-2024 07:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17468157)
End of the day though, I'd probably vote yes if I lived there.... because it guarantees the Chiefs will be in KC until Mahomes retires.

Sure... a modern day baseball stadium won't fit in the proposed site, much less the baseball village thing.

Sure... the Chiefs are using millions of dollars to upgrade a walking bridge and tear out a bunch of prime lower level seats so they can make even more money.

Sure... the Royals have been a trash franchise for all but 2 years in the past 30+.

Sure... these assholes are probably bluffing and would come back with a far better plan in a couple years.

....buuuut..... Mahomes? Hell, I'd write him a check for $200/year until he retires with the Chiefs.

There's a chance he retires before the renovations. 2031 puts him at what? Year 14?

Fish 04-02-2024 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 17468140)
I’ve seen the “studies” that state this and the numbers are flawed. There’s a reason cities fall all over themselves to bring in pro sports teams and it isn’t because they lose money on it.

Here's a metastudy looking at 130 individual studies of the subject spanning over 30 years. The conclusion is overwhelming.

What exactly about the numbers is flawed?

Quote:

The Impact of Professional Sports Franchises and Venues on Local Economies

Abstract
Local governments routinely subsidize sports stadiums and arenas using the justification that hosting professional franchises produces economic development and social benefits in the community. The prevalence of venue subsidies generated an extensive and vibrant research literature, which spans over 30 years and includes more than 130 studies. We chronicle this body of research from early studies of tangible economic impacts in metropolitan areas, using basic empirical methods, through recent analyses that focus on sub-local and non-pecuniary effects and employ more sophisticated empirical methods. Though findings have become more nuanced, recent analyses continue to confirm the decades-old consensus of very limited economic impacts of professional sports teams and stadiums. Even with added non-pecuniary social benefits from quality-of-life externalities and civic pride, welfare improvements from hosting teams tend to fall well short of covering public outlays. Thus, the large subsidies commonly devoted to constructing professional sports venues are not justified as worthwhile public investments. We also investigate the paradox of local governments continuing to subsidize sports facilities despite overwhelming evidence of their economic impotence. Our analysis informs academic researchers and policymakers to motivate future studies and promote sound policy decisions guided by relevant research findings.

https://papers.ssrn.com/sol3/papers....act_id=4022547

Titty Meat 04-02-2024 07:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 17468159)
Perception is reality most of the time. Take away the Chiefs and the Royals, and KC is viewed as a fly-over town like Des Moines, Omaha and Little Rock. No denying that.

Omaha & Little Rock have a higher growth rate than KC

* So does Des Moines

Red Dawg 04-02-2024 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 17468159)

Sure the hell will be due to a bunch of sorry ass tightwads.

Pepe Silvia 04-02-2024 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 17468152)

The State of Missouri hates success.

Bearcat 04-02-2024 07:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 17468163)
There's a chance he retires before the renovations. 2031 puts him at what? Year 14?

He'd only be 35... that's still at least 5 SBs in the tank.

mnchiefsguy 04-02-2024 07:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 17468165)
Omaha has a higher growth rate than KC

* So does Des Moines

And KC gets Taylor Swift concerts and the World Cup....because we are a major league city. Perception vs reality.

Pablo 04-02-2024 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pepe Silvia (Post 17468170)
The State of Missouri hates success.

Which is why Arrowhead 2.0 at the legends and Royals Park in OP KS makes so much sense!

Titty Meat 04-02-2024 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 17468172)
And KC gets Taylor Swift concerts and the World Cup....because we are a major league city. Perception vs reality.

I'm sure Omaha doesn't get any concerts LMAO

tredadda 04-02-2024 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LoneWolf (Post 17468140)

Look at Vegas as an example. They had zero reason to want a franchise and now they have two, and possibly a third.

Bearcat 04-02-2024 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fish (Post 17468164)
Here's a metastudy looking at 130 individual studies of the subject spanning over 30 years. The conclusion is overwhelming.

What exactly about the numbers is flawed?

I'd go out on a limb to assume it's highly lucrative for those involved and the city officials who so badly want new stadiums, but not so much for the city or residents.

Titty Meat 04-02-2024 07:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 17468175)
Which is why Arrowhead 2.0 at the legends and Royals Park in OP KS makes so much sense!

Do you want Taylor Swift concerts or to be like Tulsa? You better give the franchise who's had like 4 winning seasons in your life billions

Chieftain 04-02-2024 07:29 PM

If this doesn't pass, the residents of KC are really going to regret it. As someone who experienced the devastating loss of the Chargers who moved out of SD, it really damaged the city's economy as a whole and ruined their fanbase. SD fans hate LA and they will never root for an LA based sports team. The loss of fanbase within the state of Misouri cannot be understated.

Titty Meat 04-02-2024 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chieftain (Post 17468183)
If this doesn't pass, the residents of KC are really going to regret it. As someone who experienced the devastating loss of the Chargers who moved out of SD, it really damaged the city's economy as a whole and ruined their fanbase. SD fans hate LA and they will never root for an LA based sports team. The loss of fanbase within the state of Misouri cannot be understated.

This vote doesn't mean they will move people need to stop repeating this lie

Discuss Thrower 04-02-2024 07:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chieftain (Post 17468183)
If this doesn't pass, the residents of KC are really going to regret it.

Of the city itself? Even if both teams relocate: doubtful.

Titty Meat 04-02-2024 07:33 PM

second batch of results dropped from Jackson County. Updated results show:

Yes: 39%
No: 61%

WhawhaWhat 04-02-2024 07:33 PM

No has 61% of the vote with 14% reporting.

Discuss Thrower 04-02-2024 07:33 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">UPDATE: 8:25 p.m. | With a little more than 14,000 ballots counted so far in Jackson County, the &quot;No&quot; vote is taking in 61 percent compared to 39 percent who voted &quot;yes.&quot; Updates continue: <a href="https://t.co/yCUBkW8sC0">https://t.co/yCUBkW8sC0</a> <a href="https://t.co/jW2sCveJKe">pic.twitter.com/jW2sCveJKe</a></p>&mdash; KSHB 41 News (@KSHB41) <a href="https://twitter.com/KSHB41/status/1775334601042411584?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">April 3, 2024</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Titty Meat 04-02-2024 07:33 PM

We have the first batch of results from Kansas City:

Yes: 42%
No: 58%

Pablo 04-02-2024 07:34 PM

Shit! I’m so scared we’re gonna turn into Springfield now!

mnchiefsguy 04-02-2024 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 17468185)

It opens the door, and history has shown that teams move in these situations.

Titty Meat 04-02-2024 07:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 17468193)

How long before KC Chiefs fan claims rigged election? Look at all the libural rural parts voting No!

IowaHawkeyeChief 04-02-2024 07:36 PM

Quote:

They would need to proceed in 12-18 months to reach a deadline of a new stadium in 6-7 years. They would have another vote in another county/state, new plans, etc.

mnchiefsguy 04-02-2024 07:36 PM

Not looking good. 58% no with 14% of the vote in per fox4.

comochiefsfan 04-02-2024 07:36 PM

Goodbye Royals.

Welcome to Johnson County, Chiefs.

Chieftain 04-02-2024 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 17468185)

What does it mean?
Mark Donovan made it clear that the team will seriously look at relocating if the ballot doesn't pass.
Obviously the Hunt family can't afford to build a new stadium on their own so they need help from the taxpayers. Arrowhead needs major interior renovations, badly. It's too outdated for a modern NFL franchise. If the taxpayers say NO, the team has no other choice.

Titty Meat 04-02-2024 07:36 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by mnchiefsguy (Post 17468196)
It opens the door, and history has shown that teams move in these situations.

No it doesn't the teams still have 7 more years on their lease

Discuss Thrower 04-02-2024 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 17468193)

Well they are approaching parity in terms of bodily harm and property crimes.

Pablo 04-02-2024 07:37 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 17468197)
How long before KC Chiefs fan claims rigged election? Look at all the libural rural parts voting No!

Fiscally responsible Americans that know Shermy isn’t gonna build a winner and doesn’t deserve their 3/8th of a cent

KC is practically St Joe if they don’t build Big John’s Dream

Red Dawg 04-02-2024 07:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17468178)
I'd go out on a limb to assume it's highly lucrative for those involved and the city officials who so badly want new stadiums, but not so much for the city or residents.

You think the city residents are better off without the teams. Are you insane. Those teams are everything in this city. You wanna be Little Rock AR?

Red Dawg 04-02-2024 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Titty Meat (Post 17468202)
No it doesn't the teams still have 7 more years on their lease

So what? Thats hardly some liferime.

DrunkBassGuitar 04-02-2024 07:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 17468131)
Actually a team can buy and build it's own stadium, it's been done before. But they're all to busy grifting on cities to not pay for that shit.

Isn't KC currents stadium privately funded

wazu 04-02-2024 07:40 PM

No is out to a big early lead with 20% reporting. 59-41.

Fish 04-02-2024 07:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Bearcat (Post 17468178)

The more one looks into the topic, it becomes clear that it's a pretty sturdy limb. These types of financials are generally always public, so there's a great deal of real world data to back it up. The economic boost claims are hot air. But as the study mentions, regardless of the obviously negative numbers it still keeps happening. There's certainly the worry that if KC doesn't bend over and take a few pokes in the ass, there's plenty of other cities who gladly would regardless of what the economics say.

Discuss Thrower 04-02-2024 07:40 PM

Boston, NY, Chicago, Miami, Bay Area / Northern California, Los Angeles.

Maybe you lump in the Texas Triad as one but pretty much everywhere else in the US is "flyover country."

Titty Meat 04-02-2024 07:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 17468208)
No is out to a big early lead with 20% reporting. 59-41.

Would be nice to know what part of the vote is early vote and what parts of Jackson Co

Red Dawg 04-02-2024 07:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Chieftain (Post 17468201)
What does it mean?
Mark Donovan made it clear that the team will seriously look at relocating if the ballot doesn't pass.
Obviously the Hunt family can't afford to build a new stadium on their own so they need help from the taxpayers. Arrowhead needs major interior renovations, badly. It's too outdated for a modern NFL franchise. If the taxpayers say NO, the team has no other choice.

Exactly. The deadline is now and people are ****ing stupid to think they can vote no and keep them. Ot won't happen.

IowaHawkeyeChief 04-02-2024 07:43 PM

holding fairly steady at 59-41 no with each new batch dropped.

smithandrew051 04-02-2024 07:43 PM

The Overland Park Chiefs are my favorite professional football team

Pablo 04-02-2024 07:44 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17468216)
The Overland Park Chiefs are my favorite professional football team

I like the Kansas City Kansas Hawks the best!

Mr_Tomahawk 04-02-2024 07:44 PM

Overland Park Chiefs

Pablo 04-02-2024 07:45 PM

Shit sorry I meant to say the Tulsa Tomahawks are my favorite NFL team!!

comochiefsfan 04-02-2024 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 17468213)
Exactly. The deadline is now and people are ****ing stupid to think they can vote no and keep them. Ot won't happen.

You don’t get to “stick it to the billionaires” AND keep the teams. That’s not how this racket works. Because some other city will step in and say “thank you very much” as soon as they have the opportunity.

The choice is between keeping the (marginal) tax money in your pocket or having the teams. Whatever people value more is up to them. But that is the choice here.

smithandrew051 04-02-2024 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 17468217)
I like the Kansas City Kansas Hawks the best!

How about we name them after the County instead?

The Dotte Originals!

Pablo 04-02-2024 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17468222)
How about we name them after the County instead?

The Dotte Originals!

KC Dotteheads??

Bearcat 04-02-2024 07:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Red Dawg (Post 17468205)
You think the city residents are better off without the teams. Are you insane. Those teams are everything in this city. You wanna be Little Rock AR?

I was specifically responding to the economic impact for a city, not the feels.

Those two years when the Royals were good, I soaked that shit in like nothing ever before... and I've been back for a few AFCCGs and shit, I spent a weekend in KC just to watch the SB with some friends a couple months ago.

And I'm a big fan of downtown stadiums, even though I'm pretty sure my life would go on if the Royals moved from KC.

I'd very much prefer the Chiefs stick around for another ~15-20 years though (and I wouldn't care if it's on the Kansas side)

DrunkBassGuitar 04-02-2024 07:49 PM

lol this probably would have easily passed if they didn't insist on the crossroads being the spot

mnchiefsguy 04-02-2024 07:49 PM

72% in, still 59-41 no, per KMBC website. It is not gonna pass.

smithandrew051 04-02-2024 07:50 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pablo (Post 17468225)
KC Dotteheads??

The KCK Legends once the stadium is built at 118th and State Ave

KCUnited 04-02-2024 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DrunkBassGuitar (Post 17468229)
lol this probably would have easily passed if they didn't insist on the crossroads being the spot

This is it honestly

stevieray 04-02-2024 07:51 PM

Don't think for a second they won't move the team, they moved here from Dallas.

Titty Meat 04-02-2024 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevieray (Post 17468235)
Don't think for a second they won't move the team, they moved here from Dallas.

LMAO

Pablo 04-02-2024 07:51 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by smithandrew051 (Post 17468232)
The KCK Legends once the stadium is built at 118th and State Ave

The perfect spot to watch my favorite football team!!

I’ll miss the industrial park though

Pablo 04-02-2024 07:52 PM

Quote:

Or if they didn’t go East village then north kc then east village then crossroads

The royals deserve all the blame for the way this was rolled out. Even if they picked the crossroads from the start and gave a consistent message this thing would pass

TLO 04-02-2024 07:52 PM

Move the CHUEFS to Saint Joe!!!

Bearcat 04-02-2024 07:53 PM

Quote:

Never underestimate the fear of a Kansas Citian not being able to find a place to park.

Red Dawg 04-02-2024 07:53 PM

City doesn't deserve the teams. Shitty ****ing sorry ass voters spitting in the face of its teams. Chiefs have a dynasty and its **** you. Sorry ass mother ****ers.

Stewie 04-02-2024 07:53 PM

Chiefs to the Legends. The Legends are killing it with the newly announced amusement park.

I'm biased because I live 15 minutes away.

Go Chiefs!

smithandrew051 04-02-2024 07:53 PM

It’ll be really funny to listen to local sports radio shame the voters tomorrow

Chieftain 04-02-2024 07:54 PM

The Chargers moved out of SD. A major metropolitan area with a huge fanbase at the time. Residents of SD lived in denial and never conceived the thought they would relocate. Yet they did.