ChiefsPlanet

ChiefsPlanet (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/index.php)
-   Nzoner's Game Room (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/forumdisplay.php?f=1)
-   -   Chiefs Cardinals Release WR DeAndre Hopkins [Titans, 2yr/$26 million] (https://www.chiefsplanet.com/BB/showthread.php?t=348846)

The Franchise 05-26-2023 02:06 PM

It will be pretty easy to tell if they have any interest. If we see a restructure happen then it's happening.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 05-26-2023 02:06 PM

If Veach can re sign Clark, extend Jones and sign Nuke Billag will give Veach a BJ with no hands

staylor26 05-26-2023 02:07 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief (Post 16960443)
Exactly. You don't do this, and you're losing some credibility with him. You owe it to him if he's going to agree to stick with his current contract, and I think that's the main reason you go do it.

Look, I want Hopkins too, but this is just silly.

Coochie liquor 05-26-2023 02:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16960435)
He gives you a known commodity. Toney and Moore are all ceiling and not a lot of floor. MVS succeeds at one thing and Rice is a rookie. Hopkins would be a great leader for Rice as well.

And help reduce wear and tear on Kelce.

Mecca 05-26-2023 02:11 PM

It's always funny to me how beaten down the average Chiefs fan is from years ago.....looks at twitter...most other teams fans "this mofo is goin to the Chiefs isn't he, ****"

Chiefs fan "The Chiefs won't sign him, there's no way he's old anyway"

Wisconsin_Chief 05-26-2023 02:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16960457)

Not saying to an extent where you hurt the relationship or anything, but it stings when the guy is taking less that he should to build a great team. I'm also assuming that Mahomes is pounding the table for him as well, which we all probably think is happening. If Pat says he's good with the current group, that's a different story.

TLO 05-26-2023 02:12 PM

If we sign him he's an amazing WR

If we don't sign him he's an old broke dick we didn't want anyway.

Win Win!!

staylor26 05-26-2023 02:12 PM

Quote:

Cupid, why the hell do you constantly downvote my posts without having anything to actually say?

JFC you're a weirdo.

Mecca 05-26-2023 02:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16960469)
Cupid, why the hell do you constantly downvote my posts without having anything to actually say?

JFC you're a weirdo.

You too huh?

Mephistopheles Janx 05-26-2023 02:14 PM

Regardless of how much talent and athletic ability Toney has... this team does not have a clear #1 WR. Mahomes made it work with a 1/2 guy in Ju-Ju last season who despite having Mahomes as his QB only caught 3 TD and under 1k yards.

Gotta be realistic. We cannot ask Kelce, who turns 34 this year, to be the #1 receiver again. As of right now, this team's aspirations for another Super Bowl lie 100% in keeping Mahomes and Kelce healthy. If Kelce goes down for any reason what so ever... we are basically hinging our entire season on Rice being a day 1 god.

There is zero depth at WR. Not a single receiver on this roster has clocked a 1k season since their college years. In fact, only 3 receivers on this squad even got 1k yards in college.

Ross (1k yards exactly, 2018 - Clemson), Ross (1,150 yards, 2016 - Clemson), Rice (1,355 yards, 2022 - SMU)

D-Hop to KC on a 1 year deal pretty much HAS to happen unless Veach did his draft king thing and scored a day 1 WR1 in Rice.

Megatron96 05-26-2023 02:14 PM

Quote:

I think he has a point. I mean, it's pretty much what GB did to Rodgers. Not the contract part, but every year GB refused to draft a WR in the first round. Every year they chose to give him a little bit less offensively. And it obviously got to a point where Rodgers didn't want to discuss the draft at all. And also obviously it created a rift between Aaron and the GB FO that was irreparable after awhile.

Mahomes took a very team-friendly deal because Veach/Clark told him that they would continue to keep the roster filled with weapons every year. It could make Pat question that promise, if year after year, the FO does not pull the trigger in cases like this, or in the draft of course.

Now, nothing like that would happen this season, but if it happened again next season, or basically became a kind of trend . . . I could see any QB begin to lose confidence in his FO after a few seasons like that, just saying.

Wisconsin_Chief 05-26-2023 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 16960472)
You too huh?

Who is this mysterious Cupid? Will he unveil himself?

staylor26 05-26-2023 02:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 16960472)
You too huh?

So it's not just me?

I have no problem with people downvoting me, but if you're going to constantly do it without having anything to actually say, I'm going to eventually call you out.

BryanBusby 05-26-2023 02:15 PM

In a perfect world yeah this is the move to make.

With 30 other teams in the mix this is not happening unless he really wants to sacrifice money for a ring.

staylor26 05-26-2023 02:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief (Post 16960475)
Who is this mysterious Cupid? Will he unveil himself?

CupidStunt. He used to post more, but seems like he just lurks and downvotes now.

Mecca 05-26-2023 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 16960474)
I think he has a point. I mean, it's pretty much what GB did to Rodgers. Not the contract part, but every year GB refused to draft a WR in the first round. Every year they chose to give him a little bit less offensively. And it obviously got to a point where Rodgers didn't want to discuss the draft at all. And also obviously it created a rift between Aaron and the GB FO that was irreparable after awhile.

Mahomes took a very team-friendly deal because Veach/Clark told him that they would continue to keep the roster filled with weapons every year. It could make Pat question that promise, if year after year, the FO does not pull the trigger in cases like this, or in the draft of course.

Now, nothing like that would happen this season, but if it happened again next season, or basically became a kind of trend . . . I could see any QB begin to lose confidence in his FO after a few seasons like that, just saying.

It wasn't just the draft picks, he would offer FA suggestions of guys he would like to play with and they basically told him they didn't give a shit about his opinion.

BryanBusby 05-26-2023 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16960476)
So it's not just me?

I have no problem with people downvoting me, but if you're going to constantly do it without having anything to actually say, I'm going to eventually call you out.

It's easier to accept that there are some real ****in' Gomer's on CP.

Wisconsin_Chief 05-26-2023 02:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 16960474)

Right, that was exactly my point. Not like Pat is going to storm in if we don't sign him and demand a new deal, just that it would rub the wrong way a little, and you can't make it a trend. Signing Donovan Smith I thought was a good start, but this would really push this offseason over the top, and you're a legit juggernaut with a drastically better roster than the one you just won the Super Bowl with at every level.

Megatron96 05-26-2023 02:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 16960480)
It wasn't just the draft picks, he would offer FA suggestions of guys he would like to play with and they basically told him they didn't give a shit about his opinion.

Iirc, once the GB GM told him "you're just the QB."

I mean, i know how i'd react to that.

AdolfOliverBush 05-26-2023 02:21 PM

It's like people forgot that he's played 19 games in the last 2 seasons, including a suspension for PEDs.

The Chiefs are more than capable of winning a Super Bowl without him. Let some other desperate team overpay for him.

Mecca 05-26-2023 02:22 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Megatron96 (Post 16960492)
Iirc, once the GB GM told him "you're just the QB."

I mean, i know how i'd react to that.

And people wonder why he didn't show up at OTA's and completely changed the way he acted toward the organization.

Mecca 05-26-2023 02:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by AdolfOliverBush (Post 16960493)
It's like people forgot that he's played 19 games in the last 2 seasons, including a suspension for PEDs.

The Chiefs are more than capable of winning a Super Bowl without him. Let some other desperate team overpay for him.

Yea it's like people forget he put up 64 catches and 700 yards in 9 games with backup QB's last year.

ToxSocks 05-26-2023 02:24 PM

Cap dudes, so how much are the Cardinals gonna be paying him to not be on their team?

Mecca 05-26-2023 02:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16960498)
Cap dudes, so how much are the Cardinals gonna be paying him to not be on their team?

It's like 21 million.

They are intentionally eating it now because they are creating the room to dump Kyler Murray next year.

Megatron96 05-26-2023 02:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 16960494)
And people wonder why he didn't show up at OTA's and completely changed the way he acted toward the organization.

Yeah, and I'm not absolving Rodgers either. it's not like he made things easy for the FO up to that point either.

But saying that to your future first ballot HOF SB-winning QB, and the face of your team for over a dozen years to that point, in a public forum . . . that was the year I told my GB buddy that Aaron should just ask to be traded. I know I would've said some impolite things to my boss after that, just saying.

ToxSocks 05-26-2023 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mecca (Post 16960502)
It's like 21 million.

They are intentionally eating it now because they are creating the room to dump Kyler Murray next year.

Seems like a significant part of the puzzle here.

If he's collecting that from the Cards, he may not care nearly as much about what he's taxing his next team. That money is coming in regardless.

ForeverIowan 05-26-2023 02:27 PM

Kelce and DHop are two of the best chain movers to ever play the game. Our 3rd down conversion % would be downright absurd.

Toney's celing is ridiculously high. I dont think ppl understand how good he can be.

MVS and Mahomes are sure to have better chemistry this year and hit on more of those downfield throws.

I think that offense could shatter records.

The Franchise 05-26-2023 02:27 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16960498)

$21,077,776.

ToxSocks 05-26-2023 02:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16960509)
$21,077,776.

Like i said, i think this really helps the Chiefs' odds.

This fact may make money even less of an issue for Dhop regarding his new team.

Megatron96 05-26-2023 02:30 PM

Quote:

It's like 21 million.

Hell, ARI might be in full tank mode. Try to get Caleb in 2024? Weird though.

Wilson8 05-26-2023 02:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by The Franchise (Post 16960409)
Jesus Christ.

WE'RE NOT TRADING MVS.

As the Chiefs roster is right now, I would completely agree but -

Adding DeAndre Hopkins would increase the rostered WRs on the team. Who and where do you cut?

Adding DeAndre Hopkins is going to reduce the playing time for other WRs including MVS.

Where can you get the most Cap space by a trade from the WRs? According to overthecap.com, the Chiefs could get a $9M cap saving by trading MVS post June 1. I really don't know if a team would trade for MVS though and pay the $9M for the season.

I like MVS and think he adds value to the Chiefs.

I would love to add DeAndre Hopkins to the Chiefs WR group.

I really don't think that the Chiefs will trade MVS, but if they should sign Hopkins and younger WRs develop, it might be possible.

Holladay 05-26-2023 02:33 PM

I am trying to add a reason why Veach wouldn't. I don't know much about Hopkins. Is he a dick/cancer? That would be "A" reason.

Sure he puts up good numbers, but that 6 game suspension for performance enhancing drugs would be a red flag for me.

Also, the Cardinals willing to take a $22.6 million dead cap hit is also unnerving.

The Franchise 05-26-2023 02:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson8 (Post 16960517)
As the Chiefs roster is right now, I would completely agree but -

Adding DeAndre Hopkins would increase the rostered WRs on the team. Who and where do you cut?

Adding DeAndre Hopkins is going to reduce the playing time for other WRs including MVS.

Where can you get the most Cap space by a trade from the WRs? According to overthecap.com, the Chiefs could get a $9M cap saving by trading MVS post June 1. I really don't know if a team would trade for MVS though and pay the $9M for the season.

I like MVS and think he adds value to the Chiefs.

I would love to add DeAndre Hopkins to the Chiefs WR group.

I really don't think that the Chiefs will trade MVS, but if they should sign Hopkins and younger WRs develop, it might be possible.

Adding Hopkins does nothing but help clear up the bottom of the WR group. MVS has a specific spot in this offense as the deep threat. Trading him away opens that spot up and now who is taking it? Hopkins isn't that guy. Neither is Rice or Moore. Toney possibly could but you don't want to ask him to do that.

Before Hopkins: Toney, MVS, Moore, Rice, James and Watson.

After Hopkins: Hopkins, Toney, MVS, Moore, Rice and James.

oldman 05-26-2023 02:38 PM

He'll be 31 at the start of the season. We have next to nothing in the piggy bank. Even if he came here on the cheap chasing a ring or trying for a long-term contract, how much would he be worth NEXT year and the following years? We also have 12 WRs on the roster today. Just for grins, let's see what those guys have to offer.

In short, thanks but no thanks.

Megatron96 05-26-2023 02:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by oldman (Post 16960525)
He'll be 31 at the start of the season. We have next to nothing in the piggy bank. Even if he came here on the cheap chasing a ring or trying for a long-term contract, how much would he be worth NEXT year and the following years? We also have 12 WRs on the roster today. Just for grins, let's see what those guys have to offer.

Kelce is 34. According to your logic, we should've sent the greatest TE in history to the glue factory three years ago.

Bowser 05-26-2023 02:42 PM

Quote:

It's like 21 million.

Well then damn, they should have taken a fourth or even a third next year from us for Hop if they were going to fully eat the contract. I understand them not wanting to and trying to hold out for a better way, but it would have given them more draft capital especially if they were planning on tanking the entire time anyway.

Mecca 05-26-2023 02:43 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Detoxing (Post 16960507)
Seems like a significant part of the puzzle here.

If he's collecting that from the Cards, he may not care nearly as much about what he's taxing his next team. That money is coming in regardless.

To add to this during his career Hopkins has made 111 million dollars without including any endorsements.

The Franchise 05-26-2023 02:43 PM

Quote:

Sure...name all 12 without looking them up. You act like a 31 year old DHOP couldn't come in and help this offense. He most certainly can.

MAHOMO 4 LIFE! 05-26-2023 02:44 PM

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">DHop on the Chiefs is going to hit different.</p>&mdash; Adam Rank (@adamrank) <a href="https://twitter.com/adamrank/status/1662165816677367813?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 26, 2023</a></blockquote> <script async src="https://platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

BossChief 05-26-2023 02:46 PM

Sign him to 2 real years and a void year for a third year and let’s max out the offense while we are still in the “Kelce prime window”

raybec 4 05-26-2023 02:46 PM

Why this ridiculous fascination with trading MVS? It's silly.

Couch-Potato 05-26-2023 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wilson8 (Post 16960363)
For sure but a few will be on other teams.

If we signed Hopkins, could we trade MVS? He has a $8,560,000 base for 2023. Is he good enough that another team would make a trade>

I was wondering the same.

The Franchise 05-26-2023 02:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raybec 4 (Post 16960546)

It’s mainly just two dudes who have been saying it all offseason.

TomBarndtsTwin 05-26-2023 02:47 PM

We don’t need him, but if he wants to come here on a low one year incentive laden deal to set himself up for next year, sure. Why not?

No one is likely paying big money at this point. Most teams have spent their salary cap dollars.

I get the feeling he wants to try and win (teams with ring potential; KC, Bills, etc.) this year but ultimately the goal is to go to an explosive offense where he can put up numbers and set himself up for a big final payday this next off-season.

You almost have to think it will be Buffalo or KC at this point.

It may come down to which team offers the ‘better’ incentive laden deal since neither team really has money to spend.

kcgreene 05-26-2023 02:48 PM

Quote:

This, in a way, is why it makes sense. How much will he be worth the following years? One way for him to make that number higher and cash in on one last contract is to have an elite season here on a one year deal. How much would he be worth the following years? A lot more if he puts up great numbers with Pat and Andy.

Obviously his value is hurting right now for some reason. Perhaps there's a deeper issue that we don't know (This would explain why he only went for apparent pennies from the Texans to the Cards too) but if he wants to regain some of that value, how he would do it would be a 1 year deal.

He'd be the best WR of the 13 we'd have if he were here.

Mephistopheles Janx 05-26-2023 02:48 PM

Quote:

Agreed. Don't know that we could get a trashbag of used washcloths for him.

Couch-Potato 05-26-2023 02:48 PM

Quote:

Because we'd prefer Hopkins, they fill similar roles, and MVS is getting too expensive for his worth.

kcgreene 05-26-2023 02:49 PM

Quote:

Yeah. Not happening. He has a role in this offense. Personally, I think some people think it's like Madden where you can just interchange everyone and people don't have specific purposes and roles in scheming.

InChiefsHeaven 05-26-2023 02:54 PM

If it's possible, then the Chiefs will do it. They will find a way. There is no way they don't see that as a move worth making regardless of cost.

But...who the **** knows. I for one hope like hell it happens...

MIAdragon 05-26-2023 02:55 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by TomBarndtsTwin (Post 16960554)
We don’t need him, but if he wants to come here on a low one year incentive laden deal to set himself up for next year, sure. Why not?

No one is likely paying big money at this point. Most teams have spent their salary cap dollars.

I get the feeling he wants to try and win (teams with ring potential; KC, Bills, etc.) this year but ultimately the goal is to go to an explosive offense where he can put up numbers and set himself up for a big final payday this next off-season.

You almost have to think it will be Buffalo or KC at this point.

It may come down to which team offers the ‘better’ incentive laden deal since neither team really has money to spend.

You’re kidding yourself if you don’t think he’s going to get paid and paid well.

Couch-Potato 05-26-2023 02:55 PM

One of the easiest options is bringing Chris Jones to the table and offering him a long-term extension that would lower his cap hit. They could create up to $16 million in salary cap space with that one move alone.

Another option would be for Chiefs’ salary-cap guru Brandt Tillis to create a contract with some void years on it to spread out Hopkins’ cap hit. This is a tactic often used by teams like the New Orleans Saints and Los Angeles Rams, but it runs the risk of hurting the team’s salary cap situation down the line.

Ultimately, Kansas City does still have the means to acquire Hopkins. The big question remaining is whether or not their level of interest in the player has changed since the 2023 NFL draft.

Mephistopheles Janx 05-26-2023 02:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcgreene (Post 16960561)
Yeah. Not happening. He has a role in this offense. Personally, I think some people think it's like Madden where you can just interchange everyone and people don't have specific purposes and roles in scheming.

The only "role" MVS plays on this team is eating a shit ton of cap room and not catching balls.

Dude got paid $9m for 687 yards and 2 TDs in the regular season.

jerryaldini 05-26-2023 02:57 PM

ErieCountyBulls is back on the case, but he still has work to do!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Just a reminder to my updates. I&#39;ve deleted no tweets at any time and stood by every single thing I&#39;ve heard. Sometimes people can be dialed in. For now, I still have more work to do</p>&mdash; ECB (@ErieCountyBulls) <a href="https://twitter.com/ErieCountyBulls/status/1662152551473594368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 26, 2023</a></blockquote

The Franchise 05-26-2023 02:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 16960558)
Because we'd prefer Hopkins, they fill similar roles, and MVS is getting too expensive for his worth.

No they don’t. What the **** are you talking about?

chiefs1111 05-26-2023 02:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jerryaldini (Post 16960584)
ErieCountyBulls is back on the case, but he still has work to do!

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet"><p lang="en" dir="ltr">Just a reminder to my updates. I&#39;ve deleted no tweets at any time and stood by every single thing I&#39;ve heard. Sometimes people can be dialed in. For now, I still have more work to do</p>&mdash; ECB (@ErieCountyBulls) <a href="https://twitter.com/ErieCountyBulls/status/1662152551473594368?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw">May 26, 2023</a></blockquote

Hes basically their version of The Gunslingiest

ForeverIowan 05-26-2023 03:00 PM

Chris Jones extension is the ace up Veach's sleeve for sure. Mahomes has taken less than market as the leader of the offense. Would love to see Chris Jones expedite this extension to allow the DHop deal to get done.

Bowser 05-26-2023 03:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx (Post 16960581)
The only "role" MVS plays on this team is eating a shit ton of cap room and not catching balls.

I'm willing to look past all that for what he did against the Bengals in the championship game when he was the one guy that didn't get hurt at receiver in that game.

Megatron96 05-26-2023 03:01 PM

Quote:

He's the vertical stretch guy. Kind of an integral piece to Andy's offensive scheme.

However, if we acquired DHop, that vertical stretch becomes less necessary. And not because Deandre would take over part of that role, because imo that would be a huge waste of his skillset/talent. But with a WR like Hopkins, you just don't need to create that much room underneath, so MVS' value would decrease slightly when Hopkins was on the field.

But overall, I'm on the side of trading MVS isn't a real option.

Couch-Potato 05-26-2023 03:02 PM

Hopkins - Back for a full season
Toney - Healthy all year
Moore - Takes a big step forward
Rice - Proves he's a dog out there
Tall-Ross - Returns to 1st round form
Fast-Ross - Andy squeezes the most out of him
James - Is a reliable pass catching option when called upon

^Optimal performance from this group could be pretty incredible!

tredadda 05-26-2023 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Wisconsin_Chief (Post 16960443)
Exactly. You don't do this, and you're losing some credibility with him. You owe it to him if he's going to agree to stick with his current contract, and I think that's the main reason you go do it.

Two things.

1. This just shows how much of a dumpster fire Arizona is. They are taking the cap hit AND getting no picks for him. That's what bad franchises do.

2. KC can't afford a bidding war for his services. If he is chasing the biggest paycheck, KC won't land him. If he wants to play for the best QB ever along with having a very real shot at winning a ring, KC is his best place. Other teams are good, like Buffalo, but under McDermott and Allen they have still never made an AFCCG, while KC has hosted five in a row and has been to three SBs in five years, while winning two and being the defending SB Champion.

DaFace 05-26-2023 03:05 PM

Quote:

That's a pretty critical modifier you slipped in there.

Fat Elvis 05-26-2023 03:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 16960575)
One of the easiest options is bringing Chris Jones to the table and offering him a long-term extension that would lower his cap hit. They could create up to $16 million in salary cap space with that one move alone.

Another option would be for Chiefs’ salary-cap guru Brandt Tillis to create a contract with some void years on it to spread out Hopkins’ cap hit. This is a tactic often used by teams like the New Orleans Saints and Los Angeles Rams, but it runs the risk of hurting the team’s salary cap situation down the line.

Ultimately, Kansas City does still have the means to acquire Hopkins. The big question remaining is whether or not their level of interest in the player has changed since the 2023 NFL draft.

Unless you're Charles Goldman, you should probably give credit where credit is due for your post....complete plagiarism.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/details...201544218.html

staylor26 05-26-2023 03:11 PM

Quote:

He was worth every single dollar for what he did in the AFCCG.

Couch-Potato 05-26-2023 03:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fat Elvis (Post 16960611)
Unless you're Charles Goldman, you should probably give credit where credit is due for your post....complete plagiarism.

https://www.yahoo.com/sports/details...201544218.html

I meant to put quotes up but I'm fairly confident no one thought I wrote that lol

Couch-Potato 05-26-2023 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by tredadda (Post 16960600)
Two things.

1. This just shows how much of a dumpster fire Arizona is. They are taking the cap hit AND getting no picks for him. That's what bad franchises do.

2. KC can't afford a bidding war for his services. If he is chasing the biggest paycheck, KC won't land him. If he wants to play for the best QB ever along with having a very real shot at winning a ring, KC is his best place. Other teams are good, like Buffalo, but under McDermott and Allen they have still never made an AFCCG, while KC has hosted five in a row and has been to three SBs in five years, while winning two and being the defending SB Champion.

I think he's given plenty of signals that he wants to play here with Pat.

Hoping we can make it happen!

wazu 05-26-2023 03:14 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Couch-Potato (Post 16960614)
I meant to put quotes up but I'm fairly confident no one thought I wrote that lol

I did. Man, what a letdown! Went from thinking you were some kind of NFL cap management genius to realizing you’re a guy who struggles to craft posts on a vbulletin message board.

Mephistopheles Janx 05-26-2023 03:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DaFace (Post 16960604)
That's a pretty critical modifier you slipped in there.

We do need to get through the regular season before we can worry about the playoffs.

chiefzilla1501 05-26-2023 03:16 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ForeverIowan (Post 16960593)
Chris Jones extension is the ace up Veach's sleeve for sure. Mahomes has taken less than market as the leader of the offense. Would love to see Chris Jones expedite this extension to allow the DHop deal to get done.

Chris Jones is lobbying for dhop and can't imagine he'd do that if he felt it would eat into his contract. Have to think that if dhop signs, Jones extends almost immediately after, and that this will be the main way we free up the space to do it.

staylor26 05-26-2023 03:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Mephistopheles Janx (Post 16960619)
We do need to get through the regular season before we can worry about the playoffs.

MVS is the deep threat, even when he's not catching balls, his presence is crucial to the offense.

kcgreene 05-26-2023 03:21 PM

Quote:

Heres a stat line for you:

6 Rec, 116 Yards, 1 TD

We don't win the AFC Championship game without MVS stepping up the way he did. And that was partially due to him having to shift roles after injuries in the game. He HAD to be the guy and start filling JuJu's and Mecole's roles when they went down. And he was targeted more because he had to take on those roles, and he did well when he was asked to do it.

During the regular season his role was much more purely as deep threat. 492 of those yards were gained when our field position was before midfield. They didn't rely on him much for short yardage, hence less TDs (only 29 yards gained when we were in the redzone).

If you want to argue that he can't break the big bomb for the touchdown, sure I won't disagree. He is a deep threat that unfortunately tends to go down and can't break free, but acting like he isn't doing what Andy's scheming has him designed to do is intellectually dishonest.

RunKC 05-26-2023 03:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16960621)
MVS is the deep threat, even when he's not catching balls, his presence is crucial to the offense.

Yup. He’s drawing safeties downfield opening up the middle of the field for Kelce and others. That’s very important.

But we need to replace him probably after this year

Couch-Potato 05-26-2023 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by wazu (Post 16960618)
I did. Man, what a letdown! Went from thinking you were some kind of NFL cap management genius to realizing you’re a guy who struggles to craft posts on a vbulletin message board.

I struggle to put thoughts together, let alone posts.

TwistedChief 05-26-2023 03:25 PM

Quote:

I don’t think you have a very keen context for what NFL WRs get paid.

Go look at the production of Allen Lazard (11mm), Russel Gage (8.5mm), and Adam Thielen (8.3mm), and tell me that MVS’s playing in a completely new system in year 1 with those stats is somehow a dramatic overpay.

He played the role we had hoped he would as a deep threat. In the postseason he played the role of WR1 when he was called upon. Not sure what you expected from a vet making 9mm/yr but his production is in line.

alanm 05-26-2023 03:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by staylor26 (Post 16960478)
CupidStunt. He used to post more, but seems like he just lurks and downvotes now.

How can you tell who upvotes or downvotes you? :hmmm:

staylor26 05-26-2023 03:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by alanm (Post 16960635)

User CP > Helpful Answers

Megatron96 05-26-2023 03:29 PM

Quote:

Someone was nice enough to explain tis to me a couple years ago.

scroll up to the top

Click 'user CP' at the top left of screen

scroll down to and click 'helpful answers' bottom left, under 'Misc.'

Chieftain 05-26-2023 03:31 PM

I would be pissed if he chose the Bills. Don't overthink it D-Hop and make the logical choice. Guaranteed ring in the process.

ToxSocks 05-26-2023 03:31 PM

Quote:

I thumbde'd you down just so you have an example. Just in case.

:)

TomBarndtsTwin 05-26-2023 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MIAdragon (Post 16960574)
You’re kidding yourself if you don’t think he’s going to get paid and paid well.

NO ONE is dropping a $20-$25 mil. per year contract on DHOP this late in the game. Teams, as a whole, already told you what they thought about paying him bigly prior to and up to the draft when NO team was willing to dump a Day 3 pick (4th rounder) to acquire him. Cards were never gonna keep him. They were desperate and looking to get a ‘gift’ for him, knowing they would be dumping him after the draft.

DHop is a good receiver (when healthy). He has an ego. He considers himself to be amongst the best WR’s in the NFL. He was at one time, not so sure anymore. Point being he’s not signing up for some shitty WR2 contract at this point when he knows he can simply go out sign a one year deal, ball out (assuming he stays healthy), and land one last big payday to finish out his career.

Now what offense could he sign with that would give him this type of potential? He’s already named his Top 5 QB’s he’d like to play with. Hurts: Philly not looking for a WR. Herbert: Williams, Allen and now Johnston who they drafted with their #1 pick? Not enough balls to go around in LA. Lamar: I suppose it could happen, but you never know what’s gonna happen with Baltimore’s offense. The more likely scenario is the final 2: Buffalo or KC. Both have elite QB’s, explosive offenses and have a need at WR. I think KC would like to have a veteran WR with some top end potential to add to the mix IF they can make the numbers work. And honestly, he would be a perfect fit in Buffalo as a #2 across from Diggs and them now adding Kincaid.

I honestly think Buffalo is where he will end up, but we’ll see.

He MAY get ‘paid well’, buts it’s definitely not gonna be this offseason.

Mephistopheles Janx 05-26-2023 03:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kcgreene (Post 16960625)
Heres a stat line for you:

6 Rec, 116 Yards, 1 TD

We don't win the AFC Championship game without MVS stepping up the way he did. And that was partially due to him having to shift roles after injuries in the game. He HAD to be the guy and start filling JuJu's and Mecole's roles when they went down. And he was targeted more because he had to take on those roles, and he did well when he was asked to do it.

During the regular season his role was much more purely as deep threat. 492 of those yards were gained when our field position was before midfield. They didn't rely on him much for short yardage, hence less TDs (only 29 yards gained when we were in the redzone).

If you want to argue that he can't break the big bomb for the touchdown, sure I won't disagree. He is a deep threat that unfortunately tends to go down and can't break free, but acting like he isn't doing what Andy's scheming has him designed to do is intellectually dishonest.

I get it... he had a great playoff game. Here is a stat for you.

Dude was 7th on drops with only 1 less than Kelce. Kelce was targeted 152 times. MVS 81.

That is just the ones he "dropped" and not including the ones he gave up on.

He is vastly overpaid for his production.